PDA

View Full Version : Patrick Ewing Says He'd Drop 50 On Yao

final.wrath
11-29-2006, 10:54 PM
http://www.nba.com/features/ewing_061128.html

he spends the whole article praising him in his elementary school writing quality... then he says he'd drop 50 on him. i bet he would i just dont think he needed to say that.

bigkingsfan
11-29-2006, 10:59 PM
Funny because he only dropped 50+ once in his career.

Younggrease
11-29-2006, 11:01 PM
well he prob would drop 50 on Yao. Ewing today might be the best player in the league, definately top 3.

HaNdLe ThE RoCk
he probably would, he'd drop on 60 maybe

MaxFly
Funny because he only dropped 50+ once in his career.

And... end thread.

BradMiller52
well he prob would drop 50 on Yao. Ewing today might be the best player in the league, definately top 3.

Better than Duncan?

Younggrease
11-29-2006, 11:03 PM
Better than Duncan?

prime Ewing is better than current Duncan

rezznor
11-29-2006, 11:08 PM
it was supposed to be an article about yao, but it turns into ewing stroking his own pen1s

HaNdLe ThE RoCk
11-29-2006, 11:10 PM
Ewing > Yao and Duncan

wang4three

No way. Prime Ewing wasn't better than Dave Robinson... Though I think a prime DRobb is better than Duncan, but not by much, but he was certainly above Ewing.

thenextgreatbigman
KH never dropped 50, duncan got 53 once, big men don't hit the 50 mark all that often.

SoCalMike
11-29-2006, 11:12 PM
I hope Ewing does not turn into a myopic ex-NBA player without a ring that thinks he's better than anyone out there now.... that would be disappointing...

:pimp:

SoCalMike
11-29-2006, 11:12 PM
KH never dropped 50, duncan got 53 once, big men don't hit the 50 mark all that often.

Unless you are Wilt!

Younggrease
11-29-2006, 11:14 PM
I hope Ewing does not turn into a myopic ex-NBA player without a ring that thinks he's better than anyone out there now.... that would be disappointing...

its kind of true. Ewing in his day was better than any big man in the league right now.

people are going crazy over ODen, and best case scenario he turns into EWing...

Targus
11-29-2006, 11:19 PM
of course he would, Yao is too soft to contain patrick ewing.

BradMiller52
11-29-2006, 11:21 PM
[QUOTE=Targus

Don Cheto
11-29-2006, 11:23 PM
of course he would, Yao is too soft to contain patrick ewing.
I agree.

Younggrease
11-29-2006, 11:23 PM
Yao isn't soft.

he isnt soft, your right. But he isnt tough enough to guard EWing. On the other hand Ewing would have a block party on the 7"6 Yao

PS : this is coming from a Yao fan.

Real Men Wear Green
11-29-2006, 11:28 PM
Did anyone stop to think that just maybe, Ewing was making a joke? He's allowed to do that.

PureElement
11-29-2006, 11:34 PM
Hakeem would drop 50 on Yao, not Ewing.

lakers-city
11-29-2006, 11:35 PM
hakeem would drop 50 on whoever the hell he wanted to.

SoCalMike
11-29-2006, 11:35 PM
its kind of true. Ewing in his day was better than any big man in the league right now.

Its just difficult to know because the game has changed since Ewing was in the league... would he have thrived in todays game???

JSub
11-29-2006, 11:36 PM
Ewing is just bitter he got cut from the coaching squad. Yao didnt improve one bit with that bum as his coach. Rocket management need to bring in THE DREAM. Think about that, ladies and gents.

lakers-city
11-29-2006, 11:37 PM
the dream > any center since the days of prime kareem abdul-jabbar

SoCalMike
11-29-2006, 11:38 PM
Ewing is just bitter he got cut from the coaching squad. Yao didnt improve one bit with that bum as his coach. Rocket management need to bring in THE DREAM. Think about that, ladies and gents.

Ahh, an angle I had not considered... well done!:cheers:

BonyFaceNDong
11-29-2006, 11:38 PM
2 career 50+ games in over 1100 games including games against Bradley like, and he think he'd drop 50 on Yao? That has to be joking.

bigkingsfan
11-29-2006, 11:39 PM
Scoring has took a dipped since the 80's, so Ewing would struggle even putting up 40.

1987 109.9
1988 108.2
1989 109.2
1990 107.0
1991 106.3
1992 105.3
1993 105.3
1994 101.5
1995 101.4
1996 99.5
1997 96.9
1998 95.6
1999 91.6
2000 97.5
2001 94.8
2002 95.5
2003 95.1
2004 93.4
2005 97.2
2006 97.0

JtotheIzzo
11-29-2006, 11:46 PM

Younggrease with another gem

Younggrease
11-29-2006, 11:54 PM
Younggrease with another gem

again you can quote all the stats if you want... I look at the game and see the game from a different view, a players view. Ewing would be the best center in the game today. He would dominate any1 in the league in the post including duncan.

HaNdLe ThE RoCk
11-29-2006, 11:55 PM
Yao didnt improve one bit with that bum as his coach.

did you just call ewing a bum?

are you stupid?

DLakerfan
11-30-2006, 12:00 AM
this thread is treating this guy Ewing some sort of god but I nEVER heard the name Patrick Ewing, what team does he play in the NBA and how many rings he got?

JtotheIzzo
11-30-2006, 12:07 AM
this thread is treating this guy Ewing some sort of god but I nEVER heard the name Patrick Ewing, what team does he play in the NBA and how many rings he got?

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

piss take of the year!

HaNdLe ThE RoCk
11-30-2006, 12:07 AM
http://33forever.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/ewingnew.jpg

Zombles
11-30-2006, 12:10 AM
Ewing dropped 50, what once, in his entire career and was a jump-shooting center. He isn't dropping 50 on Yao.

JtotheIzzo
11-30-2006, 12:12 AM
again you can quote all the stats if you want... I look at the game and see the game from a different view, a players view. Ewing would be the best center in the game today. He would dominate any1 in the league in the post including duncan.

you are so full of shiiiit. A players view. :roll: stfu. You are too young to have watched Ewing play so you dont know what you are talking about.

Tim Duncan would kill Ewing, and dont even come back on that because you jsut dont know.

The center position is weak now but that doesn't mean Ewing would be better than he was. A team which had Ewing as their center piece would not go far. He could compliment a good wing however.

Stop saying you watched Ewing.

And stop talking like you are some kind of great player.

Have you ever cashed a check for playing basketball?

No?

I have. so stfu

Zombles
11-30-2006, 12:16 AM
Patrick Ewing wasn't as good as Robinson, or Hakeem in his own era.

He might be the best today because the center position is so weak but so would Robinson, and Hakeem.

Let's not overrate the guy or forget his biggest flaw

http://themusctiger.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/06/mini-choking%20man44.jpg

JtotheIzzo
11-30-2006, 12:18 AM
I grew up watching Ewing and the one thing everyone who watched him remembers most (listen up YG) is the fact that he was the most posterized human being on Earth.

Younggrease
11-30-2006, 12:19 AM
you are so full of shiiiit. A players view. :roll: stfu. You are too young to have watched Ewing play so you dont know what you are talking about.

Tim Duncan would kill Ewing, and dont even come back on that because you jsut dont know.

The center position is weak now but that doesn't mean Ewing would be better than he was. A team which had Ewing as their center piece would not go far. He could compliment a good wing however.

Stop saying you watched Ewing.

And stop talking like you are some kind of great player.

Have you ever cashed a check for playing basketball?
No?

I have. so stfu

I could if i wanted... But getting paid peanuts isnt what im trying to. "USe bball dont let it use you" Got me into a top school, in which i barely pay to go to. I'll take that as payment.

Also I have seen Ewing enough, to know that in his prime he was just as good or better than this version of Duncan. Duncan right now isnt the same Duncan that won the MVP, he not that player anymore. His game has somewhat regressed, he doesnt shoot as good from the perimeter and has lost variety in his post moves.

JtotheIzzo
11-30-2006, 12:21 AM
I could if i wanted... But getting paid peanuts isnt what im trying to. "USe bball dont let it use you" Got me into a top school, in which i barely pay to go to. I'll take that as payment.

Also I have seen Ewing enough, to know that in his prime he was just as good or better than this version of Duncan. Duncan right now isnt the same Duncan that won the MVP, he not that player anymore. His game has somewhat regressed, he doesnt shoot as good from the perimeter and has lost variety in his post moves.

Youa re too young to have watched Ewing play so again stfu

10K/month isn't peanuts

wTFaMonkey
11-30-2006, 12:44 AM
ewing cant drop 50 on yao. not with all of the rule changes

BullRaps
11-30-2006, 12:44 AM
One thing I've noticed about Yao. He doesn't back down to other big guys. See how he plays Shaq. He is probably not as strong as people want him to be but he's far from soft.

HaNdLe ThE RoCk
11-30-2006, 12:50 AM
It's Official. Yao owns shaq and is the best center in the nba. Duh, Shaq is nothing but a washup and yao would score 25+ on him any day of the week.

Now Yao trying to gaurd pat is a different story. Pat's post moves would kill yao, especially the fade away.

mhg88
11-30-2006, 12:59 AM
Young Shaq would drop 50 on Yao.

WADE MONEY
11-30-2006, 01:10 AM
hakeem would drop 50 on whoever the hell he wanted to.

so true...

miles berg
11-30-2006, 01:11 AM

ROFL.

Ewing is beyond overrated.

WADE MONEY
11-30-2006, 01:12 AM

http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/837334/2/istockphoto_837334_stubborn_little_kid.jpg

MaxFly
11-30-2006, 03:47 AM
This thread should have died two pages ago.

BIG FURB
11-30-2006, 10:03 AM
ROFL.

Ewing is beyond overrated.

Not in this thread, in here he's being underrated like a mother****er. A prime Patrick Ewing would be whoring the league. He was a great center in a time when the position was a helluva lot stronger than it is now.

Real Men Wear Green
11-30-2006, 10:27 AM
All of this uproar over a joke by Ewing. Weird.

Brunch@Five
11-30-2006, 10:55 AM
Ewing would average 30/13/3/3 in todays league. He averaged 28/12/3/4 when the center position was at its peak

lakers-city
11-30-2006, 10:58 AM
if you wanna put ewing in his prime then put both duncan and shaq in their primes, any of them would whore ewing beyond reason.

lakers-city
11-30-2006, 11:01 AM
ewing scored 50+ in his career once if ever and sure as hell he never faced a 7'6 player of yao's stature (bums bradley, bol and murhesan dont count)

DreamRockets
11-30-2006, 11:42 AM
hakeem would get like 30/15/5/4/2/60% in this league, shaq would get like 30/14/4/3 i would take both over ewing

Younggrease
11-30-2006, 11:48 AM
if you wanna put ewing in his prime then put both duncan and shaq in their primes, any of them would whore ewing beyond reason.

too bad no one argued that. It was argued that he is as good or better than the current Duncan and Shaq.

DreamRockets
11-30-2006, 11:52 AM
wasnt the argument about yao ? ewing was too much of a jump shooter to score 50 on yao, plus his footwork on the post was nonexistant, the only players i can see dropping 50 on yao are hakeem and shaq in their respective primes.

Ryoga Hibiki
11-30-2006, 11:58 AM
Today's league is much less big men frindly than Ewings.
Playing in the post is just as phisical, it's not like Yao gets the same treatment from the officials Wade or Kobe get. The current rules though limit post players effectiveness more. No illegal defence leads to much easier double and triple teams, Yao would have had much more space years ago and his difficulty to react to quick doubles would be less exposed. And don't forget that the trend of giving the slasher the benefict of the doubt leads to much more foul trouble for big men.

Then, it's not like Ewing was killing anyone not called Hakeem or Robinson (who were both in the west), I've seen him having his fair share of problems against Smits or Divac, why shouldn't he face the same problems against Ilgauskas or Bogut?
I'd say Ewing would have slightly lesser numbers in this era, and would have been remembered as the third best center after Duncan and Yao.

WoGiTaLiA1
11-30-2006, 12:01 PM

Are we talking about the same Ewing that was able to push Hakeem to the absolute limits(and then some) in the NBA Finals in a much stronger version of the NBA? Or the same guy who was consistently beaten by Jordan(like the rest of the league) in the Eastern Confs and Semis? Ewing was a great player, would be by far the best post defender in the league and outside of Duncan also the best post scorer, lets not even mention that the travelling rules that Ewing stretched to the limit in his day have been relaxed greatly, the old 3 step Ewing could do 5 or 6 nowadays.

Ewing is comparable to Duncan, may very well not be better, and hasnt achieved as much success wise, but Duncan would have been the 4th best center in the league also if he played with Hakeem, Shaq and Robinson so its not really fair to use that.

Ewing would be at worst the 2nd best player in the league behind Duncan, his only concern is he might actually be too tough for todays league...

All that said, Ewing was never the type to drop 50, if he hit 40 his team probably won by the end of the 3rd quarter anyway. Ewing was a lot like Duncan really, he did his thing every night, occasionally he would drop 40 but it was rare, I dont know if he would drop 50 on Yao, he certainly could, he would be far too quick, whether he would is another thing altogether.

DreamRockets
11-30-2006, 12:03 PM
ewing wasnt a post scorer at all, he was a jump shooting center , so how could he be the best post scorer behind duncan if he wasnt even one ?

the knick pushing the rockets to the limits was a team effort, ewing averaged 18 points on 39% shooting, thats a disgrace for a center.

Rasheed1
11-30-2006, 12:11 PM
Ewing was a great center with a great shooting touch... He was about as good as Tim Duncan is.. TD may be a bit better shot blocker tho..

I dont think he'd drop 50 on Yao because that really wasnt his game to score big bulks of points regularly..

But he would dominate Yao and do practically whatever he wanted to Yao when he was in his prime....

DreamRockets
11-30-2006, 12:13 PM
people tend to forget ewing deficiencies, he was a weak rebounder, only 8 seasons above 10 rpg and less than 10 rpg in his career, ewing was always more about offense than defense, yao would score on him at will.

Timmy D for MVP
11-30-2006, 12:19 PM

Your response makes me do this:banghead: Duncan would destroy Ewing, because The Admiral was better than Ewing. And trust me, Duncan isn't too far off of D Rob.

DreamRockets
11-30-2006, 12:22 PM
im sick of hearing about robinson, duncan is much better than him, robinson only has the edge on offense, duncan is a better rebounder and in terms of basketball IQ and leadership is not even close

Timmy D for MVP

WOW :stupid:

now your post makes me do this

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: x3

Rasheed1
people tend to forget ewing deficiencies, he was a weak rebounder, only 8 seasons above 10 rpg and less than 10 rpg in his career, ewing was always more about offense than defense, yao would score on him at will.

he played on a team with other rebounders..... The knicks of Pat Ewing's day were a better more polished more aggresive version of Yao's rockets.....

Van Gundy was a Riley protege..and they played the same way

Ewing didnt have to rip down all the boards, he had Oakley, Mason and other guys who were also aggresive on the boards....

Knicks were the 2nd best team in the east and the only real challenge the Bulls faced for a number of years

Knicks would have won at least 1 championship if Mj wasnt in the way

DreamRockets
11-30-2006, 12:23 PM
the knicks had a chance to win a championship even without jordan in the way, they didnt.

Rasheed1
11-30-2006, 12:28 PM
yeah they didnt win, but its not like they choked or blew it....the series went seven games and John Starks wouldnt stop shooting even tho he was like 1 for 12 from 3.......

Houston had hakeem (who was better than Pat IMO) and Pat still played him to a virtual standstill.....Rockets had guys really step up...even guys like Carl herrera (or carlos whatever his name was)

it was a great series

DreamRockets
11-30-2006, 12:30 PM
i know it was a great series, but pat didnt aid the cause, he averaged less than 20 pts p game and shot 39%, thats a disagrace for a center, i'll give him credit for outrebounding hakeem and blocking shots like a monster though.

BIG FURB
11-30-2006, 12:32 PM

See, the problem is you're trying to make his deficiencies larger than they really where.

Ewing was the anchor of one of the best defensive teams of his era. He averaged 2.45bpg over his career. He may have been more about offense than defense, but that doesn't mean he wasn't a fierce defensive player. And considering that this whole "debate" started because some of you doubted he could drop 50 on Yao, i'd say the fact that he was such an offensive minded big man doesn't exactly hurt his case.

And he was in no way, shape or form a weak rebounder. He had 9 seasons of averaging at least 10 boards a game and another 4 where he averaged at least 9 a game.

Edit: And David Robinson was a beast. I can't see how anyone can try and discredit the guy. The worst thing you can say about robinson was the guy was too nice (kinda like yao)

Timmy D for MVP
11-30-2006, 12:33 PM
he played on a team with other rebounders..... The knicks of Pat Ewing's day were a better more polished more aggresive version of Yao's rockets.....

Van Gundy was a Riley protege..and they played the same way

Ewing didnt have to rip down all the boards, he had Oakley, Mason and other guys who were also aggresive on the boards....

Knicks were the 2nd best team in the east and the only real challenge the Bulls faced for a number of years

Knicks would have won at least 1 championship if Mj wasnt in the way

Plenty of teams would have won if Jordan wasn't in the way.

DreamRockets
11-30-2006, 12:35 PM
See, the problem is you're trying to make his deficiencies larger than they really where.

Ewing was the anchor of one of the best defensive teams of his era. He averaged 2.45bpg over his career. He may have been more about offense than defense, but that doesn't mean he wasn't a fierce defensive player. And considering that this whole "debate" started because some of you doubted he could drop 50 on Yao, i'd say the fact that he was such an offensive minded big man doesn't exactly hurt his case.

And he was in no way, shape or form a weak rebounder. He had 9 seasons of averaging at least 10 boards a game and another 4 where he averaged at least 9 a game.

compared to duncan (9 seasons of at least 11 rebounds)
shaq (13 season of at least 10 rebounds, 3 seasons of at least 13 rebounds) and olajuwon (12 seasons of 10 rebounds, several others above 12 and 13 rebounds) then yes i'd say ewing was a suspect rebounder, not great but i admit i used the term weak badly, sorry about that.

Rasheed1
11-30-2006, 12:38 PM
Plenty of teams would have won if Jordan wasn't in the way.

knicks were better than plenty of teams

DreamRockets
11-30-2006, 12:41 PM
i disagree, the utah with malone and stockton were better than new york, the magic with shaq and penny in 95 were better than new york as well, the pacers of 98 who pushed chicago to the brink of elimination were better than new york too.

BIG FURB
11-30-2006, 12:46 PM
compared to duncan (9 seasons of at least 11 rebounds)
shaq (13 season of at least 10 rebounds, 3 seasons of at least 13 rebounds) and olajuwon (12 seasons of 10 rebounds, several others above 12 and 13 rebounds) then yes i'd say ewing was a suspect rebounder, not great but i admit i used the term weak badly, sorry about that.
Calling him a suspect rebounder is also rather bogus. As Rasheed pointed out Pat did play most of his career alongside other great rebounders. That can take away from one's rebounding numbers.

DreamRockets
11-30-2006, 12:47 PM
duncan played with robinson and his rebounding is still great, hakeem played with otis thorpe who was a great rebounder as well, shaq played with the likes of horace grant and great rebounding guards too.

what do you expect ? that i call him a "great" rebounder ? sorry, less than 10 rpg in his career dont warrant that label no matter the circumstances.

Rasheed1
11-30-2006, 12:48 PM
disagree, the utah with malone and stockton were better than new york, the magic with shaq and penny in 95 were better than new york as well, the pacers of 98 who pushed chicago to the brink of elimination were better than new york too.

Im really talking about the period of time from 91 to 94 when the first Bulls dynasty was in effect and they played some of the best basketball games I ever saw against the Knicks....and the knicks tokk it to the bulls and almost won a few times, bt Mj was just too much for them

once Shaq and orlando emerged, they were the best team until Jordan got himself back into shape and took chicago back to the top....

Timmy D for MVP
11-30-2006, 12:48 PM
I believe Duncan played with D Rob for quite a while. And Pippen with Rodman. They still put up good numbers. Chuck Hayes plays 17 minutes last night and out reabounds everyone on his team, including Yao. I mean, the position has been redifined but he should still have better numbers.

DreamRockets
11-30-2006, 12:49 PM
Im really talking about the period of time from 91 to 94 when the first Bulls dynasty was in effect and they played some of the best basketball games I ever saw against the Knicks....and the knicks tokk it to the bulls and almost won a few times, bt Mj was just too much for them

once Shaq and orlando emerged, they were the best team until Jordan got himself back into shape and took chicago back to the top....

sorry then, obviously new york was the 2nd best in the east in 90-94, some of those series were legendary, i feel the knicks gave away that one when they were up 2-0 and lost.

BIG FURB
11-30-2006, 12:57 PM
duncan played with robinson and his rebounding is still great, hakeem played with otis thorpe who was a great rebounder as well, shaq played with the likes of horace grant and great rebounding guards too.

what do you expect ? that i call him a "great" rebounder ? sorry, less than 10 rpg in his career dont warrant that label no matter the circumstances.

The distinction between being a suspect rebounder and a great one is rather big. Calling him a good rebounder would be more appropriate.

And none of this has any bearings on the argument that Pat was capable of dropping 50 on Yao in his prime

Da KO King
11-30-2006, 01:05 PM
I'd like to hear what Yao would do to stop Pat from scoring 50. If Pat's lone objective was to score 50 what could Yao do to possibly stop Pat???

JtotheIzzo
11-30-2006, 01:16 PM
Muthafalkas on here actually think big ole clunky pat Ewing is gonna hit twenty five of his lame turn around baseline Js.

I watch Pat his whole career, the guy never dropped fifty. Yao's 7'5" he handle his own.

And for you fools who said Pat is better than TD, just stfu.

Big men since Kareem retired look like this:

Shaq>Hakeem>TD

DreamRockets
11-30-2006, 01:17 PM
Shaq>Hakeem>TD

better rewatch 95 finals

Da KO King
11-30-2006, 01:24 PM
Muthafalkas on here actually think big ole clunky pat Ewing is gonna hit twenty five of his lame turn around baseline Js.

I watch Pat his whole career, the guy never dropped fifty. Yao's 7'5" he handle his own...
I also got to see Pat's career. What leads you to believe Yao would stop PAt from getting 50 if that was Pat's only goal???

Brunch@Five
11-30-2006, 01:41 PM
better rewatch 95 finals

clearly one series determines who is the better player :stupid:

JtotheIzzo
11-30-2006, 01:42 PM
I also got to see Pat's career. What leads you to believe Yao would stop PAt from getting 50 if that was Pat's only goal???
if ifs and buts were candies and nuts...

what if it was Yao's only goal to stop him?

what if the loser had to blow the other one?

what if it was to the death?

if if if if if if

how about this smart guy, IF Pat never scored fifty, what makes you think he'd do so against the best NBA center today.

Yao this year might own Ewing.

DreamRockets
11-30-2006, 01:42 PM
clearly one series determines who is the better player :stupid:

uhhm, the series was between the 2 players we are discussing so yes, that series does determine that hakeem was better than shaq, the same way the conference finals that year determine that hakeem was better than robinson.

JtotheIzzo
11-30-2006, 01:44 PM
uhhm, the series was between the 2 players we are discussing so yes, that series DOES determine that hakeem was better than shaq.

Shaq in his prime was the most dominate player we have ever seen (MJ included). There was no answer for Shaq around the millenium, Hakeem could dream shake all day, he was getting dunked on down the other end.

Brunch@Five
11-30-2006, 01:45 PM
uhhm, the series was between the 2 players we are discussing so yes, that series DOES determine that hakeem was better than shaq, the same way the conference finals that year determine that hakeem was better than robinson.

yes, Hakeem that series was better than Shaq, though only slightly. It was Hakeems 10th year in the league, and Shaqs 3rd. Overall, and in his prime, Shaq was the better player

DreamRockets
11-30-2006, 01:45 PM
so they would cancel each other out, while hakeem would be rebounding better than shaq, blocking shots better than shaq, and overall defending better than shaq.

JtotheIzzo
11-30-2006, 01:47 PM
so they would cancel each other out, while hakeem would be rebounding better than shaq, blocking shots better than shaq, and overall defending better than shaq.

No Shaq would kill him

Brunch@Five
11-30-2006, 01:48 PM
Hakeem, as good as he was, wouldn't do a better job defending Shaq than the other way around. And neither would he out-rebound him.

ChuckOakley
11-30-2006, 01:49 PM
Coming from a lifelong Knicks fan following the team from the mid 80's, Ewing is being overrated on this board by some.

He was one of the best center's of his time (behind Hakeem, DRob, O'Neal), and would be one today as well (on par w/Yao), but he is not a better player than Tim Duncan.

Scoring wise - Tim has better post moves as well as decent range. Ewing had better range but not as many post moves. Ewing's scoring average may look good, but he was also very often the sole offensive option on many Knick teams. Ewing was never paired with another star. He played with teams with Newman, Wilkens, Oakley, MJax, Greg Anthony, etc. The best offensive players he played with were later in his career (Spree, Houston) or streaky offensive players (Starks, Vandeweghe).

Rebounding - Tim is the better rebounder but not by much. Ewing had rebounds taken away by the likes of Oakley and Mason, but at the same time, Tim seems to be better at boxing out and anticipating rebounds.

Passing - Tim is the better passer by far. Ewing never was known for making great decisions and turned the ball over a ton.

Defense - Ewing was arguably a better interior defender, but Duncan can gaurd both centers and forwards. Ewing could never keep up with big players on the perimeter.

Intangibles - Ewing was an extremely hard worker and not until later in his career was he ever in any sort of "controversy" but Duncan is the epitome of professionalism. He is a leader on the court and can take over games offensively and defensively.

Overall Ewing's teams were good, but not great. Other than Chicago, Indiana and Miami generally did just as well as the Knicks. Ewing did all he could, but in the end his lack of quality support more so than his choking is what did in the Knicks.

Duncan on the other hand has multiple rings, with multiple supporting casts against a multitude of contenders from the West.

In other words Prime Duncan > Prime Ewing

Younggrease
11-30-2006, 01:51 PM
Coming from a lifelong Knicks fan following the team from the mid 80's, Ewing is being overrated on this board by some.

He was one of the best center's of his time (behind Hakeem, DRob, O'Neal), and would be one today as well (on par w/Yao), but he is not a better player than Tim Duncan.

Scoring wise - Tim has better post moves as well as decent range. Ewing had better range but not as many post moves. Ewing's scoring average may look good, but he was also very often the sole offensive option on many Knick teams. Ewing was never paired with another star. He played with teams with Newman, Wilkens, Oakley, MJax, Greg Anthony, etc. The best offensive players he played with were later in his career (Spree, Houston) or streaky offensive players (Starks, Vandeweghe).

Rebounding - Tim is the better rebounder but not by much. Ewing had rebounds taken away by the likes of Oakley and Mason, but at the same time, Tim seems to be better at boxing out and anticipating rebounds.

Passing - Tim is the better passer by far. Ewing never was known for making great decisions and turned the ball over a ton.

Defense - Ewing was arguably a better interior defender, but Duncan can gaurd both centers and forwards. Ewing could never keep up with big players on the perimeter.

Intangibles - Ewing was an extremely hard worker and not until later in his career was he ever in any sort of "controversy" but Duncan is the epitome of professionalism. He is a leader on the court and can take over games offensively and defensively.

Overall Ewing's teams were good, but not great. Other than Chicago, Indiana and Miami generally did just as well as the Knicks. Ewing did all he could, but in the end his lack of quality support more so than his choking is what did in the Knicks.

Duncan on the other hand has multiple rings, with multiple supporting casts against a multitude of contenders from the West.

In other words Prime Duncan > Prime Ewing

But is prime Ewing better than 2006 Duncan, which is past his prime.

dejordan
11-30-2006, 01:53 PM
two cents from a ewing fan:

no, in their respective primes he's not as good as hakeem, david, or shaq. yes he's better than any full time center playing the game today. it's questionable with duncan, who mostly defends pfs, but you could argue either way. pat had more range and more moves on offense and could hit his fts consistently. timmy's got better d, better hands, quicker feet, and passes better.

knocks on pat that are wrong:

poor rebounder - he played next to charles oakley, one of the top rebounding forwards in the league. his job was to intimidate shooters, oakley's job was to rebound. he also had xavier mcdaniel, charles smith, and anthony mason manning the forward slots. those are big, boarding fs.

poor shotblocker - flat wrong. riley slowed down the game and forced teams to play half-court, and the knicks played great man to man defense. fewer shots to block than comparable players of his time. he wasn't on hakeem, david, or mutumbo's level, but he was as good as anyone in the league today (except maybe okafur).

just a jumpshooter - this was true after 1995. but until then he had his go-to baseline turnaround, his baby hook, his one dribble - bump - fade to the middle, and he was athletic enough to get around or go over most guys when he had to.

again, i admit i'm a fan, but that's my take.

WoGiTaLiA1
11-30-2006, 02:00 PM

Why wouldnt he? He did it his whole career against much, much better defenders than Yao could even dream of being.

Ewing's scoring average may look good, but he was also very often the sole offensive option on many Knick teams. Ewing was never paired with another star.

You act like Tim has played with a star or something? Other than Robinson for a year or 2 Tim has been exactly what Ewing was. The sole offensive option on his team with some nice complimentary players. Derek Harper was better than Parker could dream of, Starks was basically the same player as Manu, only a better defender. Ewing had players that were at least as good as any of Duncan's teamates other than Robinson.

I wouldnt argue either way, for me Ewing has always been the comparison for Duncan, similar players. Duncan has won more, Ewing had better stats, Duncan has played in a much weaker league though. Take from that what you will.

Ewing could drop 50 on Yao if that was his aim. Tony Delk has dropped 50, if an NBA player really wants to, they can.

DreamRockets
11-30-2006, 02:01 PM
poor rebounder - he played next to charles oakley, one of the top rebounding forwards in the league. his job was to intimidate shooters, oakley's job was to rebound. he also had xavier mcdaniel, charles smith, and anthony mason manning the forward slots. those are big, boarding fs.

hakeem played next to otis thorpe who was a great rebounder too and his rebounding didnt go down one bit, ewing was a "good" rebounder at best, never great.

raiderfan19
11-30-2006, 02:01 PM
yes, Hakeem that series was better than Shaq, though only slightly. It was Hakeems 10th year in the league, and Shaqs 3rd. Overall, and in his prime, Shaq was the better player
Only Slightly? Really? You really do need to go back and rewatch that series. Hakeem destroyed shaq. Now Im not going into prime hakeem vs prime shaq but for that one series hakeem utterly destroyed shaq.

dejordan
11-30-2006, 02:06 PM
hakeem played next to otis thorpe who was a great rebounder too and his rebounding didnt go down one bit, ewing was a "good" rebounder at best, never great.
no argument. i didn't mean to say that pat was as good a rebounder as dream. dream was the best center i ever saw. shaq a close second. nobody else is really in the argument in the time i've been watching ball. but to explain the difference, those were the only reliable bigs that the rockets had at the time (apologies to chucky brown fans), so they both had to produce on the boards. but it doesn't matter. hakeem's superior hops, quickness, timing, and hands mean that in any circumstance he would be a GREAT rebounder. kind of like garnett, but he never had to defend from the foul line extended so he didn't have to cover THAT much ground.

ChuckOakley
11-30-2006, 02:12 PM
[WoGiTaLiA1]

You act like Tim has played with a star or something? Other than Robinson for a year or 2 Tim has been exactly what Ewing was. The sole offensive option on his team with some nice complimentary players. Derek Harper was better than Parker could dream of, Starks was basically the same player as Manu, only a better defender. Ewing had players that were at least as good as any of Duncan's teamates other than Robinson.

??

Not the Harper that played with the Knicks.
(He averaged about 10 points a game with the Knicks when he was well past his prime)

Even prime Harper with the Mavs was not that much better than Parker if at all. Harper only averaged over 19 ppg once in his career and he never averaged over 8 assist per game.
Career averages of 13 ppg and 5.5 apg don't really impress me.

DCL
11-30-2006, 02:32 PM
i rarely pick new school over old school, especially in today's mostly watered down, softened, weak ass foul calling, and fundamentally less sound, jumperless, brick tossing, turnover creating, And1 style game, but prime duncan is better than prime ewing, hands down.

i'd pick the prime duncan that murdered shaq and the lakers in 2002 or 2003 or whatever. the one that sent kobe crying in tears.

http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:fILFYIBK8KbKLM:http://cnnsi.dk/inside_game/marty_burns/news/2003/05/15/shootaround_0515/kobe.jpg

this was game 6, a must win or go home game for the lakers:

http://www.nba.com/games/20030515/SASLAL/boxscore.html

DreamRockets
11-30-2006, 02:33 PM
i also think 2003 duncan was TD at his best, specially in the playoffs.

Brunch@Five
11-30-2006, 02:45 PM
Only Slightly? Really? You really do need to go back and rewatch that series. Hakeem destroyed shaq. Now Im not going into prime hakeem vs prime shaq but for that one series hakeem utterly destroyed shaq.

Shaq still averaged like 29/13 on 60% shooting that series. Hardly "being destroyed".

DreamRockets
11-30-2006, 02:46 PM
pretty numbers, but hakeem outplayed him whenever the rockets needed him to and ran in circles around shaq, it wasnt as embarasing as against D-rob though.

Brunch@Five
11-30-2006, 02:49 PM
I didn't deny that he was being outplayed. Though Shaq wasn't outplayed by Hakeem as much as Orlando was by the Rockets overall. That matchup was not series deciding, Hakeems role players stepped up.

04mzwach
11-30-2006, 02:54 PM
if ppl say pat didnt score 50 then y do i have a basketball card that has 50 POINTS and his ugly face on it?

kentatm
11-30-2006, 03:15 PM
even IF Pat was able to drop 50 on Yao, he'd still clank the final shot to lose.

he gets overrated b/c he was on the Knicks. you put him on say the Bucks and hardly anyone other than Bucks fans would mention him as close to DRob, Hakeem, Shaq or even Yao.

Rasheed1
11-30-2006, 04:01 PM
he gets overrated b/c he was on the Knicks. you put him on say the Bucks and hardly anyone other than Bucks fans would mention him as close to DRob, Hakeem, Shaq or even Yao.

Not true....

Pat Ewing the sh*t at Georgetown and he would have been recognized as a great player wherever he went.....

I think his draft year was the first year of the lottery and when NY got the first pick... people screamed "conspiracy"

that doesnt happen to a player who was simply overrated because he played in New York

raiderfan19
11-30-2006, 04:57 PM
the reason i said that Hakeem destroyed shaq is that Hakeem set the scoring record for an individual in a 4 game series in that series. Shaq broke it but that was against todd mcCullough so not quite as impressive.

bokes15
11-30-2006, 08:21 PM
First of all, he definitely could. And second, you're making a big deal out of it as if he was trying to sound cocky.

"I always told him, though, that if I had played against him I would have gotten 50 on him. How would I attack him? I would use my quickness. At 7-6, it would be hard to jump and shoot over him, so I would mix it up, sometimes facing up and other times using my jump shot. You definitely have to make him move his feet.

But seeing as I left the game the year before he came in, [B]I guess we

kentatm
12-01-2006, 04:41 AM
Not true....

Pat Ewing the sh*t at Georgetown and he would have been recognized as a great player wherever he went.....

I think his draft year was the first year of the lottery and when NY got the first pick... people screamed "conspiracy"

that doesnt happen to a player who was simply overrated because he played in New York

you dont get what i am saying. his college career means nothing with what we are talking about.

what i am saying is more people remember him as a great NBA player b/c he was on the Knicks. if he had the same stats on a small market team, memory of him would have faded b/c he wouldnt have had the NY media pumping him up (and eventually tearing him down) as they always do. every player on ever NY team is automatically overrated by the press (b/c lets face it, NY is THE market to be in if you want to be known) and will be remembered for longer.

take Pau Gasol out of Memphis and put him in NY and he gets voted in as a starter on the AllStar team EVERY year.

hateraid
12-01-2006, 04:46 AM
I think he was just metaphorically saying he'd own Yao in todays game.

eliteballer
12-01-2006, 04:47 AM
Are we talking about the same Ewing that was able to push Hakeem to the absolute limits(and then some) in the NBA Finals

:roll: Ewing averaged 19 points and 36% shooting vs Dream's 27 ppg and 50%in that series

Rameek
12-01-2006, 06:49 AM
Ok after watching this thread for a while you cant compare individual players one on one because its a team game... Its purely illogical to say one on one who would win because each individual played on a team that had strengths and weaknesses... Rule changes apply as well.

Ewing game changed after his knees went bad... His shooting percentage went down the drain because he became an outside shooter later on in his career...

Shaq had to play against not one good center in their prime so his numbers are skewed towards greatness...

Yao is still learning the NBA as well so he has not reached his prime...

Hakeem was the total package far superior offensively than any of the other centers mentioned...

David Robinson was a technician before his injury 6 years of greatness and dominance...

Yao now against any of the other centers 1 PF would be a disadvantage to Yao because he is still learning...

What makes all the other matchups intriguing and hard to determine is because Shaq never has to guard an offensive player of these players magnitude. So I would imagine for me Hakeem Robinson Ewing Shaq Duncan Yao would go in that order... But its a team game I would just think because the first 4 played against each other and other better low post/team defenders they would have a distinct advantage...

Duncan I would say is similar to Shaq because of the lack of competition...

Ryoga Hibiki
12-01-2006, 07:20 AM
the reason i said that Hakeem destroyed shaq is that Hakeem set the scoring record for an individual in a 4 game series in that series. Shaq broke it but that was against todd mcCullough so not quite as impressive.
that's not destroying, what happened in the 95 finals was more like a wash between the two centers.
Shaq couldn't stop Hakeem who was in the best shape of his whole career (as good as he was, he wasn't always the player he was during that postseason, not even the year before), for sure.
But Hakeem wasn't able to stop a third year Shaq either!
To know the reason the magic got swept go no further than comparing the way Horry, Drexler and Cassel played to how Hardaway, Anderson and Grant played.

Giving all the credit to "hakeem destrying shaq" is just ignorant, in my opinion.

DreamRockets
12-01-2006, 12:31 PM
What makes all the other matchups intriguing and hard to determine is because Shaq never has to guard an offensive player of these players magnitude. So I would imagine for me Hakeem Robinson Ewing Shaq Duncan Yao would go in that order... But its a team game I would just think because the first 4 played against each other and other better low post/team defenders they would have a distinct advantage...

i disagree, its not duncan's fault or shaq's there was no good center in the league, but watching their careers i assure you they are both more dominate than ewing, not even close, ewing never dominated or changed the game the way duncan and shaq did.

hakeem owns them all though :rockon:

The Mamba
12-01-2006, 12:32 PM
You guys are completely missing the points...

he spends the whole article praising him in his elementary school writing quality... then he says he'd drop 50 on him. i bet he would i just dont think he needed to say that.

This was so funny, cause it was true. Ridiculously bad writing skills. Made me laugh so hard.

Timmy D for MVP
12-01-2006, 12:43 PM
not even close, ewing never dominated or changed the game the way duncan and shaq did.

hakeem owns them all though :rockon:

aaannnndddd end thread.

wild orchid
12-01-2006, 12:52 PM
I have never been a Patrick Ewing fan but I believe he could drop at least 50 on Yao. Yao is too inconsistent.

wild orchid
12-01-2006, 12:53 PM
I think he was just metaphorically saying he'd own Yao in todays game.

He would own every body in today's game. Patrick played at a time when players had fundementals.

24/7
12-01-2006, 01:28 PM

24/7
12-01-2006, 01:30 PM

24/7
12-01-2006, 01:32 PM
i'd pick the prime duncan that murdered shaq and the lakers in 2002 or 2003 or whatever. the one that sent kobe crying in tears.[/url]

Are you talking about the same Duncan that allowed his team to lose to the Lakers by the LARGEST MARGIN OF DEFEAT FOR A SERIES IN CONFERENCE FINALS HISTORY!!!

22.3 POINTS! :roll:

I know that has burned deep and long because there is no greater humiliation than getting owned on a HISTORICAL level. :roll: :roll: :roll:

JtotheIzzo
12-01-2006, 01:34 PM
He would own every body in today's game. Patrick played at a time when players had fundementals.

Pat had an ugly ass shot

took way too many fade aways and turnarounds for a big post

and his foot work was often clunky

His defensive roatations were slow (hence his propensity for showing up on the receiving end in everyone's highlights)

I'd hardly call him the model of fundamentals

he was often times the proverbial bull in a china shop

Round Mound
10-15-2010, 03:28 AM
Ewing was indeed better than Yao but not Duncan

Soundwave
10-15-2010, 04:21 AM
I could see Ewing dropping 60 on the Raptors, but 50 on Yao?

I dunno.

It's hard for bigs to put up numbers like that, because the offense has to totally revolve around them.

LA KB24
10-15-2010, 05:48 AM
I could see Ewing dropping 60 on the Raptors, but 50 on Yao?

I dunno.

It's hard for bigs to put up numbers like that, because the offense has to totally revolve around them.

B-Easy
10-15-2010, 06:19 AM
MJ scoring 100 and averaging 40+ppg and now this?

these older generation NBA players are starting to sound senile and insecure ..

SGK_81
10-15-2010, 06:43 AM
OMG Ewing :facepalm
Why didn't he drop 50 on Bill Cartwright and screw the Bulls dynasty back then ??

ronnymac
10-15-2010, 06:52 AM
2 career 50+ games in over 1100 games including games against Bradley like, and he think he'd drop 50 on Yao? That has to be joking.
Ok RG

ronnymac
10-15-2010, 06:54 AM
Maybe on the current broken down version of yao, but i doubt he could do it in Yao's prime in the 06-07 season.

Bigsmoke
10-15-2010, 07:52 AM
old people love talking shit.

jstern
10-15-2010, 12:34 PM
Some people take things real serious. I mean this is the way NBA players talk with each other, especially when they're friendly with each other. You know trash talk. Can't take what Ewing said literally. Even regular people like me. This friend of mine beat me 3 times in a row, the next day I'm telling him he can't beat me. A long time ago I even saw a video of Ewing and Dwight talking smack with each other, talking about how they would beat each other. Friendly trash talk. If Ewing would have said, "I'll drop 150 on you," to Howard during their friendly trash talk at practice, and someone printed that quote, how many of you would take it literally? It's actually very similar to when they asked Kobe if he would beat Lebron one on one, I don't care if Kobe was 46, you cannot expect him to back down and say, "Oh, Lebron would beat me." Look at Kobe's answer, basically saying that there's no way in hell that the MVP of the last 2 years, who's bigger and faster than him would beat him.

Edit: I just read the article, it was even more innocent than I thought. You people are idiots.

jstern
10-15-2010, 12:52 PM
That just means you either have a bad memory or you're flat out stupid.
I can tell you never play sports or do anything competitive. Or have a low IQ to think I was being literal with my friend.

Willkill24
10-15-2010, 12:59 PM
How is he gonna score 50 in 24 minutes. :D

Knicksfever2010
10-15-2010, 01:20 PM

funny because patrick ewing has a degree from Georgetown University (legit) not a basket weaving degree.

Btw I found very little wrong w/ the article, and how many NBA players nowadays can put more than 2 sentences together?? Why do you rip on Ewing?

jstern
10-15-2010, 02:28 PM
Quite the contrary. I've actually been quite successful at several sports, but I have no need to trash talk or hype myself up in that manner.

If I had gotten whipped 3 straight games in a row, I'd be in the gym working on getting better, not making pathetically hollow remarks to the guy that did it.

I guess that's why I'm successful and you're getting torched 3 games in a row.
You really have a low IQ then if you don't understand that people jokingly trash talk with each other, especially in the NBA, even if you yourself don't do it because you feel you're better than people who do it. I guess you're more successful than all those NBA players who make such hollow remarks.

jstern
10-15-2010, 04:29 PM
Yeah, I'm sure Ewing was just being buddy-buddy with Yao when he told the media that he'd drop 50 on him.

Success doesn't buy class. See Michael Jordan's HOF speech if you need proof.

But I guess he was just jokingly ripping into people, like you and your buddy do.

BTW, I still wouldn't have talked trash if I got torched 3 straight games. No REAL competitor would.
I didn't get torched, plus it was just a scenario that I presented.

But see what a low IQ you have, you didn't even read the article. Ewing wasn't being macho telling the reporter straight out that he would drop 50, he told him that he tells Yao all the time that he would drop 50 on him, you know when he helped him practice. Obviously nothing malicious or disrespectful to the 2006 era, just regular NBA talk, and I'm sure Yao talked trash back.

God, you're a dim wit, I can't believe I'm having this argument with you. You're probably a troll who recently got banned and created a new account. You are a troll, there's no way that a regular person would start an argument with someone over this, so I'm done with you. Seriously, when a dumb person starts talking nonsense in everyday life, people just walk away, don't even entertain them. Don't know why we do on the Internet.

gts
10-15-2010, 05:53 PM
Ewings just having fun at yao's expense... btw, did he ever drop 50 on anyone in his career?

ShaqAttack3234
10-15-2010, 06:13 PM
Man, Yao was beasting in 2006-2007. He Absolutely destroyed Shaq in one game early outscoring him 34-15 and outrebounded him 14-10 as Houston blew out Miami 94-72. That was before his injury when he was averaging 27/10/2/2 on great efficiency. He was also playing physically and getting to the line nearly 9 times per game, which made him even more dominant because he's such a good free throw shooter. In those 26 games before the injury, he also had 35/17/7 on 15/21 shooting vs NY, 33/16/4 vs Detroit, 38/11/6 on 13/19 shooting vs Washington, 38/18/3 vs Golden State and 35/15/8 vs the Lakers. That's a lot of great games in such a short period of time.

He still ended the season averaging 25/9/2/2 with a TS% of 60% in under 34 mpg.

That was a missed opportunity for Houston. T-Mac also went off and started playing like he did during his Orlando days when he got healthy. Yao should have dominated Okur and T-Mac should have destroyed Fisher, and if they had, they would have had an easy WCSF series vs Golden State.

Ewings just having fun at yao's expense... btw, did he ever drop 50 on anyone in his career?

Yeah, I have a 51 point game he had vs Boston in 1990.

ILLsmak
10-16-2010, 12:57 AM
Ok after watching this thread for a while you cant compare individual players one on one because its a team game... Its purely illogical to say one on one who would win because each individual played on a team that had strengths and weaknesses... Rule changes apply as well.

Ewing game changed after his knees went bad... His shooting percentage went down the drain because he became an outside shooter later on in his career...

Shaq had to play against not one good center in their prime so his numbers are skewed towards greatness...

Yao is still learning the NBA as well so he has not reached his prime...

Hakeem was the total package far superior offensively than any of the other centers mentioned...

David Robinson was a technician before his injury 6 years of greatness and dominance...

Yao now against any of the other centers 1 PF would be a disadvantage to Yao because he is still learning...

I was waiting for someone to say this...

If you go to basketball reference and check Shaq's numbers or any great inside player's numbers when they played against Shaq, the percentages dropped. Some people might have had a few good games against him, but mostly because they were making jumpers. Shaq's biggest problem was guys who could step out and hit the three.

On offense, Shaq saw the whole team. The hardest teams for Shaq to play against were ones with a big body to put on him and other long guys to come and double. If you somehow think you can time travel a C to the early 90s and have him stop or slow down Shaq you are tripping.

Almost every contender signed a bunch of no name foul machines incase they had to match up with Shaq's team in the playoffs. lol... I dunno man.

It just doesn't make sense to say that, in the modern era, his stats would have changed if he played against other 'great Cs' when most of the guys you can think of that were good were nowhere near the size to match up with Shaq. Even when Shaq played against great Cs, they rarely defended him. They took some big body and let the player help.

-Smak

Skip Bayless
10-16-2010, 12:59 AM
:facepalm

SourPatchKids
10-16-2010, 01:31 AM
:roll: Good one Patrick.:applause:

Nobler
10-16-2010, 04:49 AM
Yao isn't soft.

Softer than Roseanne son :lol

ImmortalNemesis
10-16-2010, 04:58 AM
Softer than Roseanne son :lol

Yao Ming is one of the toughest players out there.