PDA

View Full Version : If the Spurs keep this up I don't see the Lakers winning the West

Reverend Hoops
11-23-2010, 12:41 AM
This team looks better than it ever has.

mashbelly
11-23-2010, 12:42 AM
if the spurs keep this up they'll be 81-1

asdf1990
11-23-2010, 12:42 AM
lol . the only way the lakers lose is if kobe decides to chuck 30 shots.

Derka
11-23-2010, 12:43 AM
Let's see what happens when they play each other. Then we can say that its completely irrelevant because the playoffs aren't the regular season.

stephanieg
11-23-2010, 12:44 AM
Tony will get an STD and Manu's rice krispy ankles will explode again.

Willkill24
lol . the only way the lakers lose is if kobe decides to chuck 30 shots.

Kobe's the greatest and you're a witness. :applause:

The_Yearning
Who cares.

The Heat are 8-6 :roll:

PowerGlove
Yeah, I was checking the standing and noticed that the Lakers are third in the West right now with OKC heating up.

elementally morale
11-23-2010, 12:45 AM

Just what I was thinking.

asdf1990
11-23-2010, 12:46 AM
Kobe's the greatest and you're a witness. :applause:

greatest chucker in nba history.

Willkill24
11-23-2010, 12:46 AM
greatest chucker in nba history.

Jordan?

DKLaker
11-23-2010, 12:47 AM
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

stephanieg
11-23-2010, 12:48 AM
Jordan?

Nah, Wilt has this easy. Guy took over 39.5 FGA in 62.

icewill36
11-23-2010, 12:49 AM
i agree because with richard jefferson somewhat returning to form, that is an extremely tough matchup for the lake show. we all know parker will abuse fish, and manu can give it just as good as kobe can in the clutch. their offense is just unbelievable right now.

Hiei
11-23-2010, 12:49 AM
They are one game ahead of the Lakers with similarly easy schedule. Way to make overreactions. :facepalm

Willkill24
11-23-2010, 12:51 AM

Holy shit. didn't know that.

PowerGlove
11-23-2010, 12:52 AM
They are one game ahead of the Lakers with similarly easy schedule. Way to make overreactions. :facepalm
Overreaction? Stop being defensive and read, he's not even making a definitive statement.:facepalm

asdf1990
11-23-2010, 12:53 AM
Holy shit. didn't know that.

adjusting to pace kobe would average 70 fga in the 60's, kobe is the goat chucker.

Willkill24
11-23-2010, 12:57 AM
adjusting to pace kobe would average 70 fga in the 60's, kobe is the goat chucker.

Kobe would shoot around 80% from the field in the 60's(weak era) and wouldn't have to take more than 20 shots. :cheers:

SinJackal
11-23-2010, 01:01 AM

The Spurs have wins over: Thunder, Jazz, Magic, Suns, Bulls, and their only loss is against the Hornets, an 11-1 team.

Magic were tied for #1 in east before today. Thunder are 4th in the west. Jazz are 5th. Bulls are 3rd in the east.

I would say those are some pretty legit wins.

Lakers' best wins are over the current 7 and 8 seeds in the west.

Lakers two losses were to the current 9 and 10 seeds in the west.

I wouldn't say their schedules were similarly easy. Spurs schedule has been tougher so far. The Clippers' horrible record (twice), and Rockets once are what is making SA's SOS so low. The Lakers got to play the Rockets too, but it was the first game of the season so their terrible record didn't count against their SOS.

I'm not saying the Spurs are better, just saying they've played tougher teams and beat them.

asdf1990
11-23-2010, 01:01 AM
ya shoot 80% misses.

SCdac
11-23-2010, 01:04 AM
I'm as much a Spurs fan than anybody on here... but enough with the Spurs threads .... let this team be underdogs lol

Maniak
11-23-2010, 01:06 AM
Logic prevails.

gts
11-23-2010, 01:14 AM
Spurs are playing great ball, as they are known to do, it's going to be a test for the lakers to try and keep pace if they want HCA for the playoffs...

the hornets add even more spice to this seasons run for the west

bleedinpurpleTwo
11-23-2010, 01:24 AM
Kobe is getting old, but he still owns the Spurs.

Rashard
11-23-2010, 01:25 AM
Spurs look great right now. That being said, I still like the Lakers chances.

AI3Anthony
11-23-2010, 01:27 AM
Why not? The Lakers are doing the exact same thing.

Wonder Bread Kid
11-23-2010, 01:28 AM
Spurs are 12-1 right now and we still have integrated Tiago Splitter or James Anderson. Once we do, oh boy! :banana:

Profound
11-23-2010, 01:38 AM
Maybe they will if they're able to stay healthy, but does it matter? like people said before me and what most after me will say can the Spurs match up against the Lakers come playoff time?

vinsane01
11-23-2010, 01:38 AM
I'm as much a Spurs fan than anybody on here... but enough with the Spurs threads .... let this team be underdogs lol

I concur.

I prefer my team to stay under the radar but that's going to be tough if they keep this up. :D

Rob123
11-23-2010, 01:58 AM

fail no ones schedule is as easy as the lakers

sagr32
11-23-2010, 02:03 AM
They're the biggest threats out west sure but in no way should they be considered Favorites

Timmy D for MVP
11-23-2010, 02:15 AM
I would love for the WCF to be right now. I would like our chances against the Lakers.

But since it's at the end of a long season, and those minutes are in those older legs come playoffs, lets try not to get ahead of ourselves.

DeronMillsap
11-23-2010, 02:17 AM
These guys are rolling and they're beating good teams convincingly.

Mr. Jabbar
11-23-2010, 02:22 AM
Spurs are in for a reality check when they face the lakers

SinJackal
11-23-2010, 02:25 AM
Spurs are in for a reality check when they face the lakers

And I'm sure if the Spurs win against them, it'll be, "it's just a regular season game", right?

It's sad that you're are incapable of giving other teams credit at any point.

Mr. Jabbar
11-23-2010, 02:26 AM
And I'm sure if the Spurs win against them, it'll be, "it's just a regular season game", right?

They are good. Just not good enough for the Lakers. Thread name says Lakers wont make it out west.

macpierce
11-23-2010, 02:27 AM
im sure the spurs will challenge the lakers though

Allstar24
11-23-2010, 02:30 AM

Yes. Not because I don't give them credit because I do...but the Spurs and Lakers have met so many times in the playoffs. The outcome of these regular season games don't matter much when you look at the bigger picture. They could sweep us in the regular season for all I care.

oh the horror
11-23-2010, 02:30 AM
The Spurs are looking crisp right now. For me, the most impressive thing about San Antonio is the fact that they seem to always find the great draft picks, even LATER in the draft. They have a nice blend of veterans, and youth on that team. They pick up dudes that fit their squad PERFECTLY, and they always believe and buy into Pop's vision of a ball club. They're clicking pretty well right now, and will improve as well.

With that being said, im not quiiiiiiite sure yet if I'd take San Antonio in a series against LA.....but i wouldnt ENTIRELY toss them to the side either.

I'd like to see the Spurs throughout the season. So far, so good.

amfirst
11-23-2010, 02:47 AM
Odds are the Lakers will beat them again. Kobe will go bananas and unstopable against the Spurs like always. Parker will get molested by the Lakers defense.

kobesabi
11-23-2010, 02:51 AM
Lakers just hired Eva Longoria as part time cheer leader...just for days when San Antonio shows up.

Kurosawa0
11-23-2010, 02:52 AM
It's all about Manu. If the Spurs stay healthy and Manu plays at a high level, they can beat anyone. Those two things just haven't happened since 2007.

thomaspynchon
11-23-2010, 02:58 AM
I am praying the Mavs play them in the postseason and the refs remember everything that happened when they played last time in the playoffs. Karma is a *****.

Wonder Bread Kid
11-23-2010, 03:11 AM
I am praying the Mavs play them in the postseason and the refs remember everything that happened when they played last time in the playoffs. Karma is a *****.

So you want the Mavs to be swept. :oldlol:

Underballer
11-23-2010, 03:13 AM
agweed

thomaspynchon
11-23-2010, 03:15 AM
So you want the Mavs to be swept. :oldlol:

Nah the refs handed you 4 games. Mavs would crush you like they did in 08-09 if the refs don't take matters into their hands.

Wonder Bread Kid
11-23-2010, 03:22 AM
Nah the refs handed you 4 games. Mavs would crush you like they did in 08-09 if the refs don't take matters into their hands.

LOL right.

It'd be pretty damn sad if you lived your life believing that. :oldlol:

More than likely you do. Quit eating the paint chips.

Harion
11-23-2010, 03:34 AM
i would wait until both teams play each other

LA_Showtime
11-23-2010, 03:40 AM
Sorry, but I don't see it. They still aren't dominant inside, and their best post defender is a shadow of his former self (at least defensively). Parker will give the Lakers fits, but he's been doing that for the past 6 years and it hasn't mattered.

Wonder Bread Kid
11-23-2010, 03:48 AM
Sorry, but I don't see it. They still aren't dominant inside, and their best post defender is a shadow of his former self (at least defensively). Parker will give the Lakers fits, but he's been doing that for the past 6 years and it hasn't mattered.

Once Tiago Splitter is integrated into the system along side Duncan, we'll be good on the inside.

LA_Showtime
11-23-2010, 03:50 AM
Once Tiago Splitter is integrated into the system along side Duncan, we'll be good on the inside.

But good enough to beat the Lakers? I don't see it. Gasol and Bynum are too much for your post guys, and Lamar Odom ALWAYS plays well against the Spurs. If Tim Duncan was 5 years younger, then maybe. But be honest, he's slipped quite a bit defensively.

KeyNote
11-23-2010, 05:04 AM
i think the lakers HOPE the spurs are their biggest competition in the west LOL

you kidding me?

OmniStrife
11-23-2010, 05:48 AM
Pau VS Timmy
Kobe VS Manu

EPIC!

All Net
11-23-2010, 08:12 AM
Spurs can make the conference finals but they simply don't have the defenders to stop Kobe or any of the Laker bigs. If this was 5 years ago then yea but Duncan is not the player he was and is not the interior force he was offensively or defensively.

They have started well though.

indiefan24
11-23-2010, 08:29 AM
no player by player comparisons yet? i'm disappointed.

#1SportsFan86
11-23-2010, 10:30 AM
I hope the Spurs get the #1 seed just to stick it to Stern for his love of the Lakers.

:lol

It's still f*ck the Spurs tho...nothing has changed.

Droid101
11-23-2010, 01:14 PM
Yawn. Call me after their rodeo trip, and then we'll talk about who can and can't beat the Lakers in the playoffs.

PowerGlove
11-23-2010, 01:16 PM
Spurs can make the conference finals but they simply don't have the defenders to stop Kobe or any of the Laker bigs. If this was 5 years ago then yea but Duncan is not the player he was and is not the interior force he was offensively or defensively.

They have started well though.
Okay.:rolleyes:

SinJackal
11-23-2010, 01:38 PM
Really, you guys are talking about aging players and injuries for the Spurs, and yet, Bynum is ALWAYS injured, and Kobe is aging and has slowed down too.

If you guys really think Kobe is still capable of averaging 35 PPG against the Spurs, you're sadly mistaken. Kobe won't get into the paint, and he's not going to feast on the lack of Spurs D' like he did last time when the best guy the Spurs had to guard Kobe was a player who was playing with two sprained ankles, and a super old Bruce Bowen who was basically done.

The Spurs now have George Hill, who played Kobe very well last year, a HEALTHY Manu, who can nearly match Kobe on both ends of the floor, and James Anderson, a large SG who plays good D' (injured atm). Kobe's not going to have a free ride again.

Gasol would be the best big on the court, and Odom is always good, but the Spurs still have Duncan, Blair, Splitter, McDyess, and Bonner. The bigs they stoll out there aren't bad either. Their talent just isn't consized into 3 players. It's across 5. So if one of them is injured (besides Duncan), they won't really notice the loss. If Gasol or Odom are injured, they won't win the series. They might be able to get by without Bynum, but I seriously wouldn't put my money on L.A. if they didn't have him in a Spurs' series. They need their whole team to beat a full SA team. And even then it's a 6-7 game series that could go either way depending on who's hot.

To disagree with this is sheer arrogance. The Lakers are far from unbeatable. They're the favorites, yes. But the favorites don't always win.

But good enough to beat the Lakers? I don't see it. Gasol and Bynum are too much for your post guys, and Lamar Odom ALWAYS plays well against the Spurs. If Tim Duncan was 5 years younger, then maybe. But be honest, he's slipped quite a bit defensively.

If you watched more than 1-2 Spurs games this year, you wouldn't be saying Duncan has "slipped quite a bit defensively".

He was blocking Dwight Howard left and right last night, one on one, no help D'. He's defending everyone well, and only -appears- to look bad when his teammates don't rotate properly and force him to defend two players at once.

Timmy doesn't have the speed to make up for failed teammate rotations anymore, but when the Spurs actually defend properly, Duncan is still as good as anyone defensively in the paint. Even if Duncan has a poor statistical game of 9/3 or something on a given night, EVERY second he's on the floor, the Spurs look way better on both offense and defense.

This is why people say they think the Spurs are "boring to watch". Because they don't understand what they're looking at when they watch a player impact a game without getting stats.

If you watched the Magic game last night, Duncan looked GREAT on D'. He was blocking shots left and right, creating steals, getting steals himself, scaring Magic from getting into the paint unless they weren't covered and had a clear path. He's looked good every night besides like 3 games this season, and he had the flu during all of them. He's not what he used to be, no, but I would say he is in the tier below top tier defense, which is more than you can say for 90-95% of the league. He's a top 5 defender at his position. Not #1 anymore, but top 5 is nothing to scoff at.

And I'm saying this as a fan who is always critical of the players on the teams I like in any sport. Duncan is still good defensively.

tpols
11-23-2010, 01:42 PM
Really, you guys are talking about aging players and injuries for the Spurs, and yet, Bynum is ALWAYS injured, and Kobe is aging and has slowed down too.

If you guys really think Kobe is still capable of averaging 35 PPG against the Spurs, you're sadly mistaken. Kobe won't get into the paint, and he's not going to feast on the lack of Spurs D' like he did last time when the best guy the Spurs had to guard Kobe was a player who was playing with two sprained ankles, and a super old Bruce Bowen who was basically done.

The Spurs now have George Hill, who played Kobe very well last year, a HEALTHY Manu, who can nearly match Kobe on both ends of the floor, and James Anderson, a large SG who plays good D' (injured atm). Kobe's not going to have a free ride again.

Gasol would be the best big on the court, and Odom is always good, but the Spurs still have Duncan, Blair, Splitter, McDyess, and Bonner. The bigs they stoll out there aren't bad either. Their talent just isn't consized into 3 players. It's across 5. So if one of them is injured (besides Duncan), they won't really notice the loss. If Gasol or Odom are injured, they won't win the series. They might be able to get by without Bynum, but I seriously wouldn't put my money on L.A. if they didn't have him in a Spurs' series. They need their whole team to beat a full SA team. And even then it's a 6-7 game series that could go either way depending on who's hot.

To disagree with this is sheer arrogance. The Lakers are far from unbeatable. They're the favorites, yes. But the favorites don't always win.

If you watched more than 1-2 Spurs games this year, you wouldn't be saying Duncan has "slipped quite a bit defensively".

He was blocking Dwight Howard left and right last night, one on one, no help D'. He's defending everyone well, and only -appears- to look bad when his teammates don't rotate properly and force him to defend two players at once.

Timmy doesn't have the speed to make up for failed teammate rotations anymore, but when the Spurs actually defend properly, Duncan is still as good as anyone defensively in the paint. Even if Duncan has a poor statistical game of 9/3 or something on a given night, EVERY second he's on the floor, the Spurs look way better on both offense and defense.

This is why people say they think the Spurs are "boring to watch". Because they don't understand what they're looking at when they watch a player impact a game without getting stats.

If you watched the Magic game last night, Duncan looked GREAT on D'. He was blocking shots left and right, creating steals, getting steals himself, scaring Magic from getting into the paint unless they weren't covered and had a clear path. He's looked good every night besides like 3 games this season, and he had the flu during all of them. He's not what he used to be, no, but I would say he is in the tier below top tier defense, which is more than you can say for 90-95% of the league. He's a top 5 defender at his position. Not #1 anymore, but top 5 is nothing to scoff at.

And I'm saying this as a fan who is always critical of the players on the teams I like in any sport. Duncan is still good defensively.
:oldlol: Keep trying to justify it to yourself kid. Kobe and Pau are going to wax that ass.

SinJackal
11-23-2010, 01:44 PM
:oldlol: Keep trying to justify it to yourself kid. Kobe and Pau are going to wax that ass.

It'll be nice to see you disappear into fat air once your bandwagon team is emilinated.

Droid101
11-23-2010, 01:56 PM
It'll be nice to see you disappear into fat air once your bandwagon team is emilinated.
Nice, coming from the biggest homer on the board.

SinJackal
11-23-2010, 01:57 PM
Nice, coming from the biggest homer on the board.

Homer > bandwagon troll or team hater, any day.

Droid101
11-23-2010, 02:02 PM
Homer > bandwagon troll or team hater, any day.
I guess. But both knob-slobbering homers and fleeting bandwagoners are annoying as hell.

'Cept for ashbelly. His posts are insightful and wonderous.

crosso√er
11-23-2010, 02:05 PM
Spurs are 12-1 right now and we still have integrated Tiago Splitter or James Anderson. Once we do, oh boy! :banana:

And LA are 11-2 without Andrew Bynum, Kobe playing 32 MPG/still recovering from his off-season surgery...

LA have been dominating teams all season; their only losses were against two teams that couldn't miss, the Denver loss was a disappointment considering they had a big lead in the 3rd and blew it due to poor execution in the 4th quarter.

Regular season means nothing; from what I've seen LA are playing the best basketball, SA & NO are playing the most surprising basketball, winning a bunch of close games...defending a lot better then LA.

SinJackal
11-23-2010, 02:27 PM
And LA are 11-2 without Andrew Bynum, Kobe playing 32 MPG/still recovering from his off-season surgery...

LA have been dominating teams all season; their only losses were against two teams that couldn't miss, the Denver loss was a disappointment considering they had a big lead in the 3rd and blew it due to poor execution in the 4th quarter.

Regular season means nothing; from what I've seen LA are playing the best basketball, SA & NO are playing the most surprising basketball, winning a bunch of close games...defending a lot better then LA.

Every team has health issues. Spurs don't have Anderson for over a month now. Splitter's been recovering from a leg injury, hence his low minutes and why he doesn't even play in some games. Duncan had the flu for a week and put up terrible numbers, George Hill missed games and had off games with back stiffness due to getting clotheslined during one of the Clippers' games. Technically that's more health issues than the Lakers have had thus far, not that I'm trying to measure injuries as if that means they're better. Just saying that every team has their problems, and L.A.'s isn't that bad when you consider some of the issues S.A. has had over the years which literally took them out of contention during at least 3 seasons in the last dozen years.

The Spurs' margin of victory was better than LA until LA blew out GS and Minnesota. It's not surprising the Spurs' margin of victory is lower when they've been playing tougher teams too. Again, toughest teams L.A. has played are the current 7 and 8 seeds in the west. . .one of which has huge health issues atm. Spurs played the (as of yesterday) #1 seed in the east last night and won, they also played the previous #1 west seed (lost due to a poor 5 minute span in the 3rd due to poor bench play. No Splitter, and a recovering James Anderson who was playing only his second game since being drafted!), and the current west 4 and 6 seeds. . .and are about to play the 5 seed tomorrow. They've had a tougher schedule imo, AND more health issues. L.A.'s margin of victory SHOULD be higher given all that, and even then it's barely higher due to back to back blowouts. One involved Minnesota. . .whom S.A. gets to feast on tomorrow)

Basically, Spurs are winning by large margins too. +9.5. It's also sort of decieving to say the Spurs are "winning a lot of close games". Their one loss was a close game. And if the Lakers won one of their two losses, it would've been perhaps a close game win. Would that have been a negative? Winning instead of losing? I'm a bit confused on that logic. The Spurs played a team that couldn't miss too. . .the same Suns team, but won. Why's that a negative? :confusedshrug:

So yeah. . .I'm not saying the Spurs should be favored to beat L.A., or even win the conference, but I really don't get the point in all the arrogance by Lakers fans. Most of you guys give no teams any respect besides Boston. That's really off-putting.

I guess. But both knob-slobbering homers and fleeting bandwagoners are annoying as hell.

'Cept for ashbelly. His posts are insightful and wonderous.

You seem to get pretty sour any time a real fan has something to be happy about with their team. You must be a fan of an annual loser to have that train of thought.

You might not be a bandwagoner (that I know of), or a homer, but you fall into the worst category of all. The hater. Complain all you want about real fans enjoying their teams, or fake fans enjoying someone else's team, but in the end, you have nothing but spite and emptiness. I have a good team to enjoy all season. You'll be mad all year, I'll be happy all year. Couldn't care less what you think about me or any of the other real fans of the teams that are doing well right now.

Droid101
11-23-2010, 02:34 PM
You might not be a bandwagoner (that I know of), or a homer, but you fall into the worst category of all. The hater. Complain all you want about real fans enjoying their teams, or fake fans enjoying someone else's team, but in the end, you have nothing but spite and emptiness. I have a good team to enjoy all season. You'll be mad all year, I'll be happy all year. Couldn't care less what you think about me or any of the other real fans of the teams that are doing well right now.
I'm a fan of basketball. I have several teams I like more than others, and several I dislike more than others. I would not consider myself a "hater" the way certian posters on here hate Kobe, or hate Wade, or hate whoever.

I'm pretty sure I'll be happy all year as well, because I live in the LA area and my favorite team is the Lakers.

The Spurs are playing extremely well right now. I don't see it continuing once they hit their big stretch of road games. You do see it continuing. Either way, we'll see!

crosso√er
11-23-2010, 02:38 PM
I meant NOH have won a lot of close games, SA have been dominating all season long. Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to watch more then two of their games; I'm surprised their playing so well but then again their main players are all healthy. (I know I included NO and SA in that category, when I shouldn't have: I was mostly speaking about NO's, SA are surprising me mainly because their older vets are actually healthy this year)

LA and SA are the two best teams right now.

alenleomessi
11-23-2010, 02:45 PM
Weird season so far i gotta say

game3524
11-23-2010, 02:52 PM
The only real threat to LA, is Boston. Really people are letting their hatred of the Lakers get in the way of reality, The Spurs are a nice story. But LA is clearly the superior team, and IMO would beat them soundly.

DeronMillsap
11-23-2010, 03:09 PM
The only real threat to LA, is Boston. Really people are letting their hatred of the Lakers get in the way of reality, The Spurs are a nice story. But LA is clearly the superior team, and IMO would beat them soundly.
That's what everybody said in '03, '04 and '08. Lakers can't be beaten.

Droid101
11-23-2010, 03:28 PM
And 00, 01, 02, 09, 10.

Looks like a better bet than not.

32jazz
11-23-2010, 03:37 PM

nah, Jordan. Jordan led the League in chucking an unprecedented 9 times:facepalm

Wilt only did it 6 & Kobe about 3.

vegasdude
11-23-2010, 03:39 PM

Dreams are FREE. :D

ninephive
11-23-2010, 03:41 PM
And 00, 01, 02, 09, 10.

Looks like a better bet than not.
It's still wrong. They're obviously not unbeatable. Doesn't matter how many times they win. To think so is arrogant and uneducated, no matter how many times a team wins...a la Super Bowl XLII.

Rob123
11-23-2010, 03:43 PM
I dont get what crystal ball everyone is looking into to see that the lakers will definitely beat SA or that SA will beat LA.

The last time the Lakers played a healthy Manu Tony and Timmy it was a huge problem for them until Manu went down, and Timmys knees began to give.

However, since then the Lakers have dominated everyone, but have yet to really face a healthy SA big three.

I dont see how it can be decided either way. When San Antonio matched up with LA in 08 WCF they dominated the first game in Staples until Manus ankles gave out and he was done for the rest of the series. That's equivalent to LA losing Kobe.

For the past two years Tony, Tim, and Manu have been in and out of suits on the bench.

We have never seen this matchup before, since the Lakers got Pau, and it's going to be really exciting to watch, REALLY exciting. It's stupid to decided an outcome in either teams favor.

The last time the Spurs were this healthy was 07 but the lakers didnt have their current roster then. I think the West is a race between these two teams (barring health problems for either team, knock on wood) and it's gonna be fun to watch.

lakerspng
11-23-2010, 03:46 PM
When San Antonio matched up with LA in 08 WCF they dominated the first game in Staples until Manus ankles gave out and he was done for the rest of the series. That's equivalent to LA losing Kobe.

Granted we know nothing this early in the season, but that particular statement is pretty much nuts.

San Antonio is the only team in the West as balanced and as experienced as the Lakers. If both teams remain healthy I fully expect them to face off in the WCF. I personally think the Lakers will take the series pretty convincingly, but in sports anything can happen.

ramoLBCA
11-23-2010, 03:52 PM
There are too many what-ifs to factor in every season. I love how Laker haters come up and post all these lame threads trying to dispute 5 titles in 10 years. :rolleyes:

COOL STORY BRO, its still november.

Droid101
11-23-2010, 03:57 PM
It's still wrong. They're obviously not unbeatable. Doesn't matter how many times they win. To think so is arrogant and uneducated, no matter how many times a team wins...a la Super Bowl XLII.
Exactly.

The point I'm trying to make is there's no way to tell until the playoffs. Until then, it's Spurs fans being happy about their good record right now. Some celebrate appropriately (we have a great record! woo!), and some celebrate inappropriately (WE WILL BEAT THE LAKERS WE ARE UNSTOPPABLES WERE THE BESTTSS).

DeronMillsap
11-23-2010, 04:01 PM
Exactly.

The point I'm trying to make is there's no way to tell until the playoffs. Until then, it's Spurs fans being happy about their good record right now. Some celebrate appropriately (we have a great record! woo!), and some celebrate inappropriately (WE WILL BEAT THE LAKERS WE ARE UNSTOPPABLES WERE THE BESTTSS).
Nobody's celebrating anything. Most are just acknowledging the Spurs' good start so far, it's the Laker fans getting uptight over it and feeling like they're invincible.

Droid101
11-23-2010, 04:03 PM
Nobody's celebrating anything. Most are just acknowledging the Spurs' good start so far, it's the Laker fans getting uptight over it and feeling like they're invincible.
Except that the title of the thread is doing just that:

If the Spurs keep this up I don't see the Lakers winning the West

DeronMillsap
11-23-2010, 04:04 PM
Except that the title of the thread is doing just that:No it's not.

What part of "If the Spurs keep this up..." don't you understand?

Also, if the Laker fans don't like these kind of threads then they should start making threads about the future if they're so convince they're championship already.

crosso√er
11-23-2010, 04:23 PM

That's why fans have these forums and dedicate their time for discussion, because at the end of the day we don't win a billion dollars if our team wins a championship; we get bragging right. So quit being so butt hurt if certain Laker fans are acting like their two time defending champions are a little invincible. :confusedshrug:

It's certainly a lot less arrogant then what the original poster said about SA; considering LA are missing their starting center, having Kobe play 32 MPG, being ranked top three in almost every offensive category in the NBA and only being 0.5 games behind a team that is supposedly "better" if they continue playing like this.

If my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle.
Glad SA are healthy and I hope they stay healthy; because I sure as hell would love to see SA/LA battle it out like the good old days.

game3524
11-23-2010, 04:25 PM

The Lakers roster this year is better then it has been in years. They really don't have a weakness anymore, last year their bench was terrible, but this year it is at least top 5. They are winning games quite easily, and are on cruise control. They are doing this all with Kobe playing under 35 mins a game, and without Bynum.

Every year, people pull this crap with "so and so might be a threat to LA". But honestly we all know their is only one team that can push to them to the brink, and that team ain't the Spurs.

ronniec
11-23-2010, 04:26 PM
The Spurs haven't played against the Lakers this season yet, right?

DeronMillsap
11-23-2010, 04:31 PM
That's why fans have these forums and dedicate their time for discussion, because at the end of the day we don't win a billion dollars if our team wins a championship; we get bragging right. So quit being so butt hurt if certain Laker fans are acting like their two time defending champions are a little invincible. :confusedshrug:

It's certainly a lot less arrogant then what the original poster said about SA; considering LA are missing their starting center, having Kobe play 32 MPG, being ranked top three in almost every offensive category in the NBA and only being 0.5 games behind a team that is supposedly "better" if they continue playing like this.

If my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle.
Glad SA are healthy and I hope they stay healthy; because I sure as hell would love to see SA/LA battle it out like the good old days.
A little less invincible? lol...they downplay everything and feel it's an automatic title win for LA.

They should just make a 2011 Laker championship thread then if that's how they feel and want to talk about.

I don't think the OP is being arrogant, he's just giving the Spurs props for their great start. And they have had a tougher schedule than LA as well, so I don't see why there's a need to discredit their good record right now.

DeronMillsap
11-23-2010, 04:33 PM
The Lakers roster this year is better then it has been in years. They really don't have a weakness anymore, last year their bench was terrible, but this year it is at least top 5. They are winning games quite easily, and are on cruise control. They are doing this all with Kobe playing under 35 mins a game, and without Bynum.

Every year, people pull this crap with "so and so might be a threat to LA". But honestly we all know their is only one team that can push to them to the brink, and that team ain't the Spurs.
I'm just saying everybody saw the future the same way now as they did in '03, '04 and '08.

game3524
11-23-2010, 04:39 PM
I'm just saying everybody saw the future the same way now as they did in '03, '04 and '08.

They also said they couldn't be beat in 2000, 2001, 2002, 2009, and 2010. I will take my chances that they won't be stop this year.

DeronMillsap
11-23-2010, 04:46 PM
They also said they couldn't be beat in 2000, 2001, 2002, 2009, and 2010. I will take my chances that they won't be stop this year.That's still not guaranteed. 5 out of 8 is only 63%.

Whatever. I have an agenda, I hate the Lakers. Blah!!!!!!!!!

Droid101
11-23-2010, 04:47 PM
Whatever. I have an agenda, I hate the Lakers. Blah!!!!!!!!!
I KNEW IT!!!1111

LA_Showtime
11-23-2010, 04:50 PM
SinJackal,

I have watched more than 1 or 2 Spurs games this season. Duncan is still a good defender, but he's far from the player he was 3 or 4 years ago. He won't be able to stop Gasol. If the Lakers and Spurs meet in the playoffs, the only guy who will potentially stop Gasol is Kobe.

SinJackal
11-23-2010, 04:52 PM
I'm a fan of basketball. I have several teams I like more than others, and several I dislike more than others. I would not consider myself a "hater" the way certian posters on here hate Kobe, or hate Wade, or hate whoever.

I'm pretty sure I'll be happy all year as well, because I live in the LA area and my favorite team is the Lakers.

The Spurs are playing extremely well right now. I don't see it continuing once they hit their big stretch of road games. You do see it continuing. Either way, we'll see!

You might not consider yourself a hater, but I have personally read at least a dozen posts from you about SA, and they have all been negative, trollish, or flat out hate posts. If you only made a few negative posts about them, I would not consider you a hater, as that's a term I don't like to give out very easily. . . . But you have made so many Spurs hate posts, it's quite obvious that you are. You aren't fooling anyone by claiming you aren't. The proof is in your posts.

You can pretend you aren't a Spurs' hater, but literally all your posts involving them are anti-Spurs. What do you think that makes you? You certainly aren't unbiased when it comes to them, and you certainly don't like them. You dislike them so much that you go out of your way to bash them multiple times a week. You're a Spurs hater.

I meant NOH have won a lot of close games, SA have been dominating all season long. Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to watch more then two of their games; I'm surprised their playing so well but then again their main players are all healthy. (I know I included NO and SA in that category, when I shouldn't have: I was mostly speaking about NO's, SA are surprising me mainly because their older vets are actually healthy this year)

LA and SA are the two best teams right now.

Oh okay, yeah I see what you mean then, I could see the Hornets dropping off a little bit since they've gotten lucky in some games. I don't see them dropping out of the playoff picture though. They're a scrappy team who can scratch out wins.

Spurs are doing well right now because they can get offense from just about every play on their team. Every non-big man Spurs player + Matt Bonner can hit the three ball. And every Spurs big besides maybe Blair and Splitter can hit jumpers. Every Spurs player plays pretty good defense too.

So while they don't have any eye-popping stars, just about their whole team can hurt the opposing team on both ends of the floor. The Spurs have two main weaknesses though, and those are: other than Parker and Ginobili, the Spurs have no decent ballhandlers or creators. If one goes down, their bench is going to suffer. As it is, they try to make sure either Parker or Ginobli is on the floor at all times. Only for very brief periods are one of them not on the floor, at which point the Spurs are vulnerable to getting shut down.

Their other problem is that their bigs are all either one or two year vets of the team, and don't know the offense well-enough to screen and roll like Duncan. They also don't screen as well as Duncan period. So when Duncan's not on the floor, the Spurs suffer both offensively and defensively. When the Spurs Big 3 are all sitting, that's when you typically see an opposing team "go on a run". It's never against the Big 3. That's how the Hornets beat them. The Hornets left in their starters for an extra amount of time got a huge run in the 3rd when the Spurs' scrubs were out there. Though in the Spurs' defense, Anderson wasn't 100% and Splitter didn't play. They didn't have much of a bench at the time.

I dont get what crystal ball everyone is looking into to see that the lakers will definitely beat SA or that SA will beat LA.

The last time the Lakers played a healthy Manu Tony and Timmy it was a huge problem for them until Manu went down, and Timmys knees began to give.

However, since then the Lakers have dominated everyone, but have yet to really face a healthy SA big three.

I dont see how it can be decided either way. When San Antonio matched up with LA in 08 WCF they dominated the first game in Staples until Manus ankles gave out and he was done for the rest of the series. That's equivalent to LA losing Kobe.

For the past two years Tony, Tim, and Manu have been in and out of suits on the bench.

We have never seen this matchup before, since the Lakers got Pau, and it's going to be really exciting to watch, REALLY exciting. It's stupid to decided an outcome in either teams favor.

The last time the Spurs were this healthy was 07 but the lakers didnt have their current roster then. I think the West is a race between these two teams (barring health problems for either team, knock on wood) and it's gonna be fun to watch.

Great post. That is something Lakers fans will NEVER own up to. They don't want to lose their trump card for trash talking by admitting that the Spurs had health issues that series. Though maybe I'm being unfair to Lakers fans, as it's mostly Kobe trolls that trash talk about it since Kobe had a good series against the Spurs' old and injured perimeter defense.

Exactly.

Stfu dude, seriously. Quit trying to reverse it and pretend like Spurs fans (besides maybe spursdynasty420) are saying the Spurs are invincible or going to beat L.A. for sure. You're just lying and making shit up at this point.

In every post I make, or any Spurs fan I know of makes, nobody says that. We say the Spurs are good and have a chance to win this year. You and the other Spurs haters, plus the Lakers trolls are the ones getting all defensive about it.

You're complaining about the fact that Spurs fans are happy with their team and feel they can contend for the title. You're acting like the Lakers have a birthright to the title. Sorry, but they don't. It's not going to be the casual/bandwagon fan's dream of LA and Boston cakewalking to yet another redundant Lakers/Celtics finals.

There's competition this year, and no matter how much you may wish it were so, the Spurs, Hornets, Mavs, and Jazz aren't going away.

They also said they couldn't be beat in 2000, 2001, 2002, 2009, and 2010. I will take my chances that they won't be stop this year.

It's also not really "taking a chance" when you sell out and pick the favorite to win it.

SinJackal
11-23-2010, 04:54 PM
SinJackal,

I have watched more than 1 or 2 Spurs games this season. Duncan is still a good defender, but he's far from the player he was 3 or 4 years ago. He won't be able to stop Gasol. If the Lakers and Spurs meet in the playoffs, the only guy who will potentially stop Gasol is Kobe.

I know he isn't the same defender, but I'm not sold that Gasol is going to do whatever he wants since Duncan's played everyone else well so far including Dwight. I'll wait until they match up and see what happens before I start to worry about it. :D

step_back
11-23-2010, 04:57 PM
This is not really all that unsurprising, spurs have been a consistantly good team for a decade now. They are probably one of the most underated teams in sports, I can't imagine what the percentage of games they have won since 1999 has been, got to be close to 65-70% of regular season games.

chazzy
11-23-2010, 05:01 PM
If Bynum is healthy and available, Duncan will be guarding him. And he's been solid against him over the past 2 or 3 years.. I wonder if they would start Splitter to match up with Pau

edit: Forgot to put if.. lol

crisoner
11-23-2010, 05:02 PM
Rule Number One In The Nba.....

Never Ever Ever Ever Ever Ever Count Out The Spurs.

Droid101
11-23-2010, 05:03 PM
You can pretend you aren't a Spurs' hater, but literally all your posts involving them are anti-Spurs. What do you think that makes you? You certainly aren't unbiased when it comes to them, and you certainly don't like them. You dislike them so much that you go out of your way to bash them multiple times a week. You're a Spurs hater.

No, I'm not. Think what you want, but all my "Spurs hate" posts have been because of your (or 420's) dickslobbering Spurs homer posts. If you posted a little more level headed (sometimes you do, but the ones I responded to you were not), I wouldn't have gone so far the other way.

The Spurs used to be my favorite team. Robinson was my favorite player when I started watching basketball, and when they got Duncan my head just about exploded. I'll even post a picture of myself wearing my Tim Duncan jersey to prove it.

Anyway, sorry for the off-topic, continue.

DeronMillsap
11-23-2010, 05:06 PM
The Spurs used to be my favorite team.
You're no longer a fan because they stopped winning titles? If yes... :facepalm

Droid101
11-23-2010, 05:12 PM
You're no longer a fan because they stopped winning titles? If yes... :facepalm
Well, I started being a fan long before they won titles (92). I peaked fan-dom when Duncan won Rookie of the Year and SHOULD have won MVP (oh well).

I stopped being a fan when they swept the Lakers from the lockout-season playoffs. They have been the Lakers greatest rivals ever since then.

DeronMillsap
11-23-2010, 05:21 PM
Well, I started being a fan long before they won titles (92). I peaked fan-dom when Duncan won Rookie of the Year and SHOULD have won MVP (oh well).

I stopped being a fan when they swept the Lakers from the lockout-season playoffs. They have been the Lakers greatest rivals ever since then.
I see....Lakers fan first.
I thought it was the other way around. My mistake.

Timmy D for MVP
11-23-2010, 05:22 PM
Another thing that I think is a big fact is that this young future core is looking good. So the future continues to look bright for the team.

Once we get Tiago integrated it'll be even better.

Droid101
11-23-2010, 05:22 PM
I see....Lakers fan first.
I thought it was the other way around. My mistake.
There's the rub. If they never had to go through the Lakers to get any of their chips, I'd probably still be a big fan.

spursdynasty420
11-23-2010, 05:41 PM
There's the rub. If they never had to go through the Lakers to get any of their chips, I'd probably still be a big fan.

you are one of the biggest full of fail posters on ISH. stop tryin to make yourself look good hater

laronprofit9
11-23-2010, 06:07 PM
You cant be the best until you beat the best.

We'll see what happens when they meet in the playoffs.

Until then, The Lakers are the defending champs and the favorites to win it all again. There is no reason for me to think they are not the best team in the league right now.

They haven't been dethroned.

I considered the Spurs the best team in the league going into to the 07-08 season because they were the defending champs.

Most defending champs should be considered the best team in the league, unless there is a "VERY SIGNIFICANT" Drop off.

Like the 06 Heat to the 07 Heat.

JustinJDW
11-23-2010, 06:22 PM
I'm as much a Spurs fan than anybody on here... but enough with the Spurs threads .... let this team be underdogs lolThis.

I'm starting to not like all this attention the Spurs are getting. I just don't like it. Spurs play better under the radar. ESPN needs to get back to their jobs and keep the hype on Gasol, the Lakers and the Heat, haha.

And arguing about the Spurs and Lakers is pointless now because they haven't even faced each other yet and we are still early in the Season. But do I think they can beat them? Hell yeah. Kobe isn't 26 no more. I know he isn't going to drop 30+ on us anymore like he use too when our defense was bad. The Spurs defense hasn't been this good since their last championship in 07. And the offense is much more well-rounded, consistent and polished. Its better by tons. Timmy and Manu are finally healthy. RJ has completely turned around and started being effective. Our Bench is playing good. Tiago is looking ****ing great! We have young athletic players now that have bought into Pop's system, and play smart. We look great right now.

If there is anyone I'm scared of right now, its Pau Gasol. That guy is a ****ing beast. Give that guy the MVP. But who I'm really nervous about is the Hornets. They aren't loosing games either. That Chris Paul pick-n-roll is just a killer. And David West always plays the game of his life against the Spurs.

But yeah, Spurs look great, now stop talking about them. Lets keep these boys underdogs and under the radar. :cheers:

mashbelly
11-23-2010, 06:47 PM
This.

I'm starting to not like all this attention the Spurs are getting. I just don't like it. Spurs play better under the radar. ESPN needs to get back to their jobs and keep the hype on Gasol, the Lakers and the Heat, haha.

And arguing about the Spurs and Lakers is pointless now because they haven't even faced each other yet and we are still early in the Season. But do I think they can beat them? Hell yeah. Kobe isn't 26 no more. I know he isn't going to drop 30+ on us anymore like he use too when our defense was bad. The Spurs defense hasn't been this good since their last championship in 07. And the offense is much more well-rounded, consistent and polished. Its better by tons. Timmy and Manu are finally healthy. RJ has completely turned around and started being effective. Our Bench is playing good. Tiago is looking ****ing great! We have young athletic players now that have bought into Pop's system, and play smart. We look great right now.

If there is anyone I'm scared of right now, its Pau Gasol. That guy is a ****ing beast. Give that guy the MVP. But who I'm really nervous about is the Hornets. They aren't loosing games either. That Chris Paul pick-n-roll is just a killer. And David West always plays the game of his life against the Spurs.

But yeah, Spurs look great, now stop talking about them. Lets keep these boys underdogs and under the radar. :cheers:

The spurs are above the radar

spursdynasty420
11-23-2010, 07:23 PM
STFU about the spurs

all you are doing is bumping threads giving him what he wants moron

spursdynasty420
11-23-2010, 07:28 PM
i didn't bump them

they were ALL already on the fcking first page

you keep bumping them instead of letting them die. you are real dumb

mashbelly
12-01-2010, 03:52 PM
The Spurs keep moving on up

BallsOut
12-01-2010, 03:57 PM
This.

Kobe was dropping 30+ on +48fg% on Bruce Bowen, one of the best man defenders of all time. :oldlol: at Spurs fans thinking Kobe won't continue to torch SA as he has been doing every single year he has been in the league.

rmt
12-01-2010, 04:06 PM
Lakers are the champs until some team unseats them. I don't see SA beating a healthy LA or BOS team.

SA needs to improve their defense and play Splitter lots of minutes (with Bonner on the bench).

Samurai Swoosh
12-01-2010, 04:12 PM
There is still 5 - 6 months left in the REGULAR season. You have got to be kidding me ...

:oldlol:

alenleomessi
12-01-2010, 04:15 PM
Griffin will posterize Duncan tonight

mashbelly
12-13-2010, 11:18 AM
This team looks better than it ever has.

The spurs are the ne patriots of the nba

mashbelly
04-09-2011, 11:46 AM
I'm glad it came true

mashbelly
04-09-2011, 04:26 PM
The Spurs are playing extremely well right now. I don't see it continuing once they hit their big stretch of road games.

you were wrong homer