View Full Version : LeBron James supports contraction of some NBA teams

insidehoops
12-24-2010, 12:01 AM

Rekindled
12-24-2010, 12:03 AM
http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/?p=6960

jbryan1984
12-24-2010, 12:04 AM
Which also puts people out of a job and leaves fans with no team. It doesn't really surprise me coming from him though. He wants that full nWo support.

IGOTGAME
12-24-2010, 12:06 AM
Just to play devil's advocate, Lebron never lived through 80s bball. He doesnt have a true grasp of what it was because he likely only watched tape of a few teams.

PowerGlove
12-24-2010, 12:07 AM
Which also puts people out of a job and leaves fans with no team. It doesn't really surprise me coming from him though. He wants that full nWo support.
:oldlol: Anything he says.

Sarcastic
12-24-2010, 12:09 AM
I like how he singles out Minnesota and New Jersey :lol

I agree with what he said too.

knightfall88
12-24-2010, 12:10 AM
I'm just going to say Lebron is stupid and leave it at that. Too tired today. The guy needs to shut his mouth especially during this time where everyone is against him.

Sarcastic
12-24-2010, 12:11 AM

Using that logic, we should put a team in every city across America since it will employ people and the people of that city will have their very own team to cheer for.

Lebron23
12-24-2010, 12:11 AM
I'm just going to say Lebron is stupid and leave it at that. Too tired today.

You are very stupid. Stop hating on LeBron.

G-Funk
12-24-2010, 12:12 AM
Lakers and Knicks will benefit the most from this

tpols
12-24-2010, 12:13 AM
Wow is this guy still trying to defend 'the decision'?

Sarcastic
12-24-2010, 12:13 AM

No. The whole league benefits from this.

IGOTGAME
12-24-2010, 12:15 AM
No. The whole league benefits from this.

except for the players. less money to go around equals less max level Ks etc.

12-24-2010, 12:16 AM
While I believe the NBA would be stronger minus 6 teams, I'm realistic enough to know that will never happen, because when you contract a franchise, that puts 12 players out of work (and we know the Players' Association will never tolerate that), plus that leaves coaches, athletic trainers, and front-office executives without a job. Not much complaint there, but there are the ordinary people who work in teams' offices, the vendors, parking attendants, and other people who work at the local arena during home games, etc. And with the economy the way it is, you almost have to keep the NBA at 30 teams and just bite the bullet of watered-down talent for now.

Lebron23
12-24-2010, 12:16 AM

The whole league benefits from this because we are finally going to see plenty of stacked teams in the NBA.

The Kevin Love, Blake Griffin, Monta Ellis deserves to play on a winning team. I agree with LeBron.

DeronMillsap
12-24-2010, 12:17 AM
I kinda agree with LeBron.

goldenryan
12-24-2010, 12:19 AM
brb no nets, wolves, wizards, grizzlies, hornets, or clippers.

The Poet
The whole league benefits from this because we are finally going to see plenty of stacked teams in the NBA.

The Kevin Love, Blake Griffin deserves to play on a winning team.

Who says they deserve to play on winning teams? Not many talented youngsters get to play on winning teams at an early stage. Have to lose to understand what winning is. It's a rite of passage.

PowerGlove
Using that logic, we should put a team in every city across America since it will employ people and the people of that city will have their very own team to cheer for.
I dont even agree with Bron but that guys reasoning was so full of hate.:oldlol: It's hilarious.

I am against contraction as a whole.

bagelred
12-24-2010, 12:20 AM
The Kevin Love, Blake Griffin, Monta Ellis deserves to play on a winning team.

They don't deserve sh-t. If they were such good players, they'd make THEIR teams winning teams. No one ever grasps that. If you want to play on a good team, win games for YOUR team. Then you'll be on a good team.

Team.

Sarcastic
12-24-2010, 12:21 AM

Wizards wouldn't go anywhere. DC is a big market. The Bobcats would probably have to fold.

Sarcastic
12-24-2010, 12:23 AM
While I believe the NBA would be stronger minus 6 teams, I'm realistic enough to know that will never happen, because when you contract a franchise, that puts 12 players out of work (and we know the Players' Association will never tolerate that), plus that leaves coaches, athletic trainers, and front-office executives without a job. Not much complaint there, but there are the ordinary people who work in teams' offices, the vendors, parking attendants, and other people who work at the local arena during home games, etc. And with the economy the way it is, you almost have to keep the NBA at 30 teams and just bite the bullet of watered-down talent for now.

Actually the Recession supports a contraction, not keeping it as is.

junkifunki
12-24-2010, 12:27 AM
Lebron's own franchise should be contracted.

I love South Beach.. but Miami is the worst sports city in America. They don't deserve any sports franchises. Their fans are as fairweather as they get. The crowd at Heat games are seriously pathetic. They can't even show up on time to the games and can't sell out their home games, even with the Heat hype at epic proportions.

Look at Marlins' hme games. The place is a ghost town, and the Marlins have two MLB championships since 1996. Miami is great (especially the hotass women) but their fans are f'n sad.

Lebron23
12-24-2010, 12:27 AM
They don't deserve sh-t. If they were such good players, they'd make THEIR teams winning teams. No one ever grasps that. If you want to play on a good team, win games for YOUR team. Then you'll be on a good team.

Team.

Who says they deserve to play on winning teams? Not many talented youngsters get to play on winning teams at an early stage. Have to lose to understand what winning is. It's a rite of passage.

They have a $hitty management. Do you think Kobe would have won an NBA title if he wasn't traded to the Lakers? Hell no. He's very lucky because he was given an opportunity to play for the Los Angeles Lakers. The Lakers signed Shaquille O'Neal in 1996, and Phil Jackson became their head coach after the 1999 NBA Season.

The rest is history.

jstern
12-24-2010, 12:29 AM
I strongly agree with what Lebron said, though I understand some people won't, because it's Lebron saying it.

12-24-2010, 12:31 AM

Personally I'd substitute the Bobcats for the Wizards. At least the Wizards have history.

BTW, nice going by LeBron to rile up the Timberolves and the Nets against himself and his Miami teammates.

DeronMillsap
12-24-2010, 12:32 AM
Keep the Wolves* and Wizards but get rid of the Bobcats and Kings instead.

Have a draft for the free agents to be. :applause:

*Minneapolis and St. Paul is a big market, and I think a lot of Wolves fans still support them.

Lebron23
I strongly agree with what Lebron said, though I understand some people won't, because it's Lebron saying it.

Haters gonna hate. I don't understand why some posters on Insidehoops let their emotions cloud their judgments.

I'll rep you later.

Actually the Recession supports a contraction, not keeping it as is.

In practicality, I agree. But it would be a bad PR move.

CMsam
12-24-2010, 12:33 AM
I'm glad Lebron said this, as I've been saying this since the season started.

The league really IS too watered down. Look at the schedule most nights and over half the games are completely unwatchable. So many of these teams are made up of 19 and 20 year old "prospects" and journeymen never-was'es, and they're all just out there fumbling the ball around. I've seen so many mind-numblingly sloppy games this season. On a given night you could have Sacramento playing Minnesota, Charlotte playing Detroit, New Jersey playing Toronto, Cleveland playing Washington, and Philadelphia playing the Clippers. That's absolutely horrific.

If you removed Sacramento and Charlotte, you could add Gerald Wallace, Stephen Jackson, Tyreke Evans, Carl Landry, Jason Thompson, Tyrus Thomas, DeMoron Cousins, Muhammed, Diaw, Augustin, Udrih etc. to the other bottom feeders and at least make them a little better, and also eliminate some of the awful games that pop up on the schedule each night.

I think the fans should try to push this to the league and make it known that this is something fans want to happen. I know it will suck for fans of a few teams, but let's face it, if you're in the bottom 2 in attendance there's not many fans to upset.

Jasper
12-24-2010, 12:36 AM
It is a fact some teams are struggling not only on the floor , but to break even.
Problem is the NBA has made the game more available without leaving your house.. not putting fans in the seats.

I don't think contraction will happen , some teams more than likely will move ,, but the next NBA contract should get the owners some control of what is happening with salaries and players cuts at the gate.

I think over all the lux tax has been a help.

let me put it this way , if a Development team was in my neighborhood I'd be watching them probably every night ... will the average fan take up that dedication - doubt it.. but the idea lebron was stating of giving a better product for the fans and make teams more competitive are worthy facts the Commish and the NBA HAVE TO DEAL WITH.
** One thing is for sure , Stern has to get the idea of getting a team over in the UK out of his head.
Basketball is global - but the NBA doesn't have to be.

Lebron23
12-24-2010, 12:37 AM

The league really IS too watered down. Look at the schedule most nights and over half the games are completely unwatchable. So many of these teams are made up of 19 and 20 year old "prospects" and journeymen never-was'es, and they're all just out there fumbling the ball around. I've seen so many mind-numblingly sloppy games this season. On a given night you could have Sacramento playing Minnesota, Charlotte playing Detroit, New Jersey playing Toronto, Cleveland playing Washington, and Philadelphia playing the Clippers. That's absolutely horrific.

If you removed Sacramento and Charlotte, you could add Gerald Wallace, Stephen Jackson, Tyreke Evans, Carl Landry, Jason Thompson, Tyrus Thomas, DeMoron Cousins, Muhammed, Diaw, Augustin, Udrih etc. to the other bottom feeders and at least make them a little better, and also eliminate some of the awful games that pop up on the schedule each night.

I think the fans should try to push this to the league and make it known that this is something fans want to happen. I know it will suck for fans of a few teams, but let's face it, if you're in the bottom 2 in attendance there's not many fans to upset.

:applause: :applause: :applause:

I agree with Starface.

NbaFan432
12-24-2010, 12:39 AM
When do u disagree with him?

StacksOnDeck
12-24-2010, 12:41 AM
I like how he acts he went to Miami for the better of the league.

Lebron23
12-24-2010, 12:42 AM
When do u disagree with him?

He's one of the most intelligent, and rational posters on this board. Starface's IQ >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Combined IQ of the Lakers trolls/ Kobephiles.

Disaprine
12-24-2010, 12:43 AM
:lol

kingkong
12-24-2010, 12:43 AM
whats the point of the playoffs if every team makes them?

the real problem the NBA has is parity and that would only become worse if contraction happens

12-24-2010, 12:47 AM
** One thing is for sure , Stern has to get the idea of getting a team over in the UK out of his head.
Basketball is global - but the NBA doesn't have to be.

Agreed. The NBA has too many teams already.

Disaprine
12-24-2010, 12:47 AM
:lol repped

macpierce
12-24-2010, 12:48 AM
big surprise, you think lebron would speak out against something he did??? :roll:

NbaFan432
12-24-2010, 12:49 AM
He's one of the most intelligent, and rational posters on this board. Starface's IQ >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Combined IQ of the Lakers trolls/ Kobephiles.
My post was directed at the OP, but yea I agree. :lol

StacksOnDeck
12-24-2010, 12:49 AM

xtn5021
12-24-2010, 12:50 AM
Bye bye to the Warriors.

gilalizard
12-24-2010, 12:53 AM
Methinks LeBron doth protest too much.

97 bulls
12-24-2010, 12:53 AM
I for one disagree with eliminating teams. I don't want to see quality guys like blake griffin, tyreke evans, kevin love etc have to be relegated to a sixth man role or somethinng similar to what were seeing in miami. There's plenty of talent to go around.

What you guys want is parity. And what parity does is not eliminate bad teams, it eliminates great teams.

The Poet
12-24-2010, 12:57 AM
They have a $hitty management. Do you think Kobe would have won an NBA title if he wasn't traded to the Lakers? Hell no. He's very lucky because he was given an opportunity to play for the Los Angeles Lakers. The Lakers signed Shaquille O'Neal in 1996, and Phil Jackson became their head coach after the 1999 NBA Season.

The rest is history.

How many franchises are like the Lakers? You can't be expected to be gifted perfect scenarios all throughout your career or your life. You have to deserve to be given those situations. Why is everyone else expected to earn a winning team, but you think Kevin Love and Blake Griffin should be just given one? Sometimes life hands you a shitty pair of cards, you still have to make the most of it. And if your shitty pair of cards is playing for multi-millions of dollars and the sport you love, then quite frankly, it's not all that shitty at all.

Kevin Love, Brook Lopez, Blake Griffin, or whoever should do what most NBA legends had to do. Earn their respect. Earn their titles. Stop sympathizing for them. Nearly every legend had to go through shitty years, but earned their way. Love, Griffin, or whoever shouldn't be exempt from that.

Faberg
12-24-2010, 01:00 AM
Regardless whether LeBron is right or not, he needs to shut the **** up and play ball.

gilalizard
12-24-2010, 01:02 AM
Wow, just listening to LeBron, I suddenly see his vision when he went to Miami. He didn't run off to join another top 3 player, and a top 10, for an easy path to rings.

He did it for us.

What a classy guy.

SebasMiamiFan
12-24-2010, 01:03 AM
I don't know about eliminating teams. With the right talent and coaching staff, any team can be competitive. Some teams are starting to build a solid foundation.

DeronMillsap
12-24-2010, 01:09 AM
24 teams(12 each conference) with only 10-12(5-6 each conference) making it to the playoffs.

Use the 1st round-bye format for top teams in the playoffs like they did in the 70's. This way the regular season will mean something. :cheers:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1978_NBA_Playoffs
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1977_NBA_Playoffs
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1976_NBA_Playoffs

This would make the regular season games a lot more important if you can get a 1st round out of it by being one of the top teams.

There were 8 different champions in the 70's. :applause:

97 bulls
12-24-2010, 01:10 AM
Getting rid of the clippers, kings etc will turn their best players, players that are all-star caliber players mind you, into role players, it will turn blake griffin into an offensive version of chris anderson. Or relegate starters into role players. Not cuz they're not good enough, but just cuz there's no room.

Look at it this way, if wade was drafted by the lakers and had to play behind kobe bryant, he'd never evolve into the player we have become accustomed to watching. How is that a good thing?

DeronMillsap
12-24-2010, 01:16 AM
Getting rid of the clippers, kings etc will turn their best players, players that are all-star caliber players mind you, into role players, it will turn blake griffin into an offensive version of chris anderson. Or relegate starters into role players. Not cuz they're not good enough, but just cuz there's no room.

Look at it this way, if wade was drafted by the lakers and had to play behind kobe bryant, he'd never evolve into the player we have become accustomed to watching. How is that a good thing?

Actually, that would be awesome. There will be less glorified regular season superstars in the league.
T-Mac and Carter would have been 3rd option players during their prime if they were to play with other top superstars.

You will also eliminate questionable HOF-caliber players(two names I mentioned) who rack their stats on shitty teams.

Meticode
12-24-2010, 01:19 AM
I sort of agree with LeBron on this. On the other hand it puts a lot of people out of work.

jstern

I'm a 90s guy, but weren't hall of famers like Karl Malone and Charles Barkley not high draft picks? And look at Kobe, he came in playing for a championship caliber team. Guys like Wade would still succeed, and if not, that's just life, the quality of the league is more important than how beneficial it would be to some unproven guy.

Mr. Jabbar
In the long-run, the quality of the league is in the best interest of them all, Contract it.

Kurosawa0
12-24-2010, 01:27 AM
I agree with LeBron 100%. I've been saying the NBA should only have 24-26 teams for years.

97 bulls
12-24-2010, 01:28 AM
Actually, that would be awesome. There will be less glorified regular season superstars in the league.
T-Mac and Carter would have been 3rd option players during their prime if they were to play with other top superstars.

You will also eliminate questionable HOF-caliber players(two names I mentioned) who rack their stats on shitty teams.
Ok why stop at 6 teams? Wouldn't the league be better if there were only 20? How bout 15? You see how that works?

97 bulls
12-24-2010, 01:32 AM
I'm a 90s guy, but weren't hall of famers like Karl Malone and Charles Barkley not high draft picks? And look at Kobe, he came in playing for a championship caliber team. Guys like Wade would still succeed, and if not, that's just life, the quality of the league is more important than how beneficial it would be to some unproven guy.
How is the quality of the league suffering? Even the clippers have 3 quality guys in griffin, gordon and kamen. And I don't understand the barkely and malone reasoning.

97 bulls
12-24-2010, 01:34 AM
I agree with LeBron 100%. I've been saying the NBA should only have 24-26 teams for years.
Im curious as to how you arrive at 24-26?

Lebron23
12-24-2010, 01:35 AM
24 teams(12 each conference) with only 10-12(5-6 each conference) making it to the playoffs.

Use the 1st round-bye format for top teams in the playoffs like they did in the 70's. This way the regular season will mean something. :cheers:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1978_NBA_Playoffs
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1977_NBA_Playoffs
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1976_NBA_Playoffs

This would make the regular season games a lot more important if you can get a 1st round out of it by being one of the top teams.

There were 8 different champions in the 70's. :applause:

:rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

DeronMillsap
12-24-2010, 01:40 AM
Ok why stop at 6 teams? Wouldn't the league be better if there were only 20? How bout 15? You see how that works?
15-20 would just be too small for a full 82 game season.

24 would be perfect. Make it a 15-man active roster(16-18 total for injury and development purposes) to expand the roster a bit.

Kurosawa0
12-24-2010, 01:46 AM
Im curious as to how you arrive at 24-26?

You need the same amount of teams in each conference. 12 or 13 would be about right.

yeaaaman
12-24-2010, 01:46 AM

24 would be perfect. Make it a 15-man active roster(16-18 total for injury and development purposes) to expand the roster a bit.

So why not shorten the season, less games, more rest, more practice time, less injuries, less meaningless regular season games, better quality ball.

Why expand the roster when there are guys who don't even leave the bench every game, no need to pay for extra cheer leaders.

97 bulls
12-24-2010, 01:47 AM

What does the season being 82 games have to do with your feeling that there's a lack of talent? Bad basketball players at game 1 are gonna be bad basketball players after game 82.

Force
12-24-2010, 01:48 AM
LOL @ anybody who thinks contraction is a bad idea...this is a no brainer. very few teams even try to win these days...the league is NOT competitive as it is now...too many teams and too much salary. too many players are just collecting checks

97 bulls
12-24-2010, 01:50 AM
You need the same amount of teams in each conference. 12 or 13 would be about right.
But you can make it even all the way down to two teams. So why stop at 24-26?

97 bulls
12-24-2010, 01:56 AM
LOL @ anybody who thinks contraction is a bad idea...this is a no brainer. very few teams even try to win these days...the league is NOT competitive as it is now...too many teams and too much salary. too many players are just collecting checks
Come on force this isn't being genuine. All these teams try to win. Why do you think this?

Sarcastic
12-24-2010, 01:56 AM
So why not shorten the season, less games, more rest, more practice time, less injuries, less meaningless regular season games, better quality ball.

Why expand the roster when there are guys who don't even leave the bench every game, no need to pay for extra cheer leaders.

Because the fans want to see more games. Do you want a 40 game season?

DeronMillsap
12-24-2010, 02:00 AM
What does the season being 82 games have to do with your feeling that there's a lack of talent? Bad basketball players at game 1 are gonna be bad basketball players after game 82.
NBA still has to make money. 15-20 will just be falling back too much. 30 as it is right now is just too much as well with so many crappy teams and glorified regular season superstars.

24 would be enough to make(and save) money, have enough talents, and most importantly it'll add better competition.

We won't see bad basketball players in the league anymore so that wouldn't matter.

DeronMillsap
12-24-2010, 02:01 AM
:facepalm Are you trolling or just stupid?

Sarcastic
12-24-2010, 02:03 AM

Look at the All Star game. It is the best collection of talent the league can produce. If the game meant anything, and the players played hard, it would be better than any regular season game.

People want to see good basketball, not the watered down crap we are given.

DeronMillsap
12-24-2010, 02:04 AM

You expand the roster slightly to keep the teams competitive in case your superstar player(s) goes down. The reserves won't be D-league quality players either. They'll at least be above average players who can help out the team.

yeaaaman
12-24-2010, 02:05 AM
Because the fans want to see more games. Do you want a 40 game season?

Well I'm not asserting that's what I want I'm just throwing it out there given the stance of some people. I mean, like you said the fans want to see more games so wouldn't they be against contraction? Or they want higher quality ball, but if they do why not just shorten the season?

Or is this just an in theory argument, as in, contraction would be better for the competition but it isn't necessarily what all the fans would want?

97 bulls
12-24-2010, 02:07 AM
:facepalm Are you trolling or just stupid?
Im just trying to show how rediculous your reasoning is. Whys stop at 24-26 teams when you can have an all-star game every night. Or every other night with 2 teams. The talent is fine.

DeronMillsap
12-24-2010, 02:08 AM
Well I'm not asserting that's what I want I'm just throwing it out there given the stance of some people. I mean, like you said the fans want to see more games so wouldn't they be against contraction? Or they want higher quality ball, but if they do why not just shorten the season?

Or is this just an in theory argument, as in, contraction would be better for the competition but it isn't necessarily what all the fans would want?
Why do you have to shorten the season for quality basketball?

DeronMillsap
12-24-2010, 02:12 AM
Im just trying to show how rediculous your reasoning is. Whys stop at 24-26 teams when you can have an all-star game every night. Or every other night with 2 teams. The talent is fine.
No, you're not showing me anything. You're just failing to see my point.

Two teams? What the f**k???

I already explained it here:
NBA still has to make money. 15-20 will just be falling back too much. 30 as it is right now is just too much as well with so many crappy teams and glorified regular season superstars.

24 would be enough to make(and save) money, have enough talents, and most importantly it'll add better competition.

We won't see bad basketball players in the league anymore so that wouldn't matter.

yeaaaman
12-24-2010, 02:13 AM
Why do you have to shorten the season for quality basketball?

The reasons I already stated, less chance of injury, more rest, better quality when the players step on the court since they aren't tired from back to backs, travelling across the country and playing the next day etc., more practice time to execute, watching a lot of teams I'm sure you could agree many could use that.

As well, less meaningless games, I see threads talking about the Lakers and the other elite teams not trying because they aren't interested etc. Shorten the season and there are less meaningless games so people don't have to watch quality teams like the Lakers lose by 20+ to the Bucks for what some seem to attribute to lack of interest.

TheSphincter
12-24-2010, 02:16 AM
LeFail shut your ****ing mouth. Youre a sidekick, and you will forever be remembered as the biggest losing pos in nba history

DeronMillsap
12-24-2010, 02:20 AM
The reasons I already stated, less chance of injury, more rest, better quality when the players step on the court since they aren't tired from back to backs, travelling across the country and playing the next day etc., more practice time to execute, watching a lot of teams I'm sure you could agree many could use that.

As well, less meaningless games, I see threads talking about the Lakers and the other elite teams not trying because they aren't interested etc. Shorten the season and there are less meaningless games so people don't have to watch quality teams like the Lakers lose by 20+ to the Bucks for what some seem to attribute to lack of interest.
Why would having 24 teams instead of 30 increase the chances of injuries?

The 82 games schedule is fine for a 24 team league. Most of the rosters will have above average players so even if your star player is out that team will have a couple of quality players stepping up. That's why I suggested a slight roster expansion for that.

There won't be that many meaningless games because teams like the Wolves and Bucks would have more talented players on their squad. Guys like Gerard Wallace, Tyrus Thomas, David West, ect would be on the Wolves or Bucks if we get rid of the Bobcats and Hornets.

Do you see it now???? How having less teams would be that much better. But still have enough teams for enough games and help make(save) money for the league. Not 2-15 teams like 97bulls suggested. That is too extreme!!!

Durant35
12-24-2010, 02:22 AM
LeFail shut your ****ing mouth. Youre a sidekick, and you will forever be remembered as the biggest losing pos in nba history

Horrible gimmick account.

Would you please shut the hell Up!

http://www.godsofwrestling.com/images/chris-jericho.jpg

Draz
12-24-2010, 02:23 AM
It wouldn't happen, the NBA wouldn't be making as much profit and their sales would eventually fail or a major drop. If teams go like that imagine the thousands of fans and millions of dollars being drained. I do want it to happen it'll make the NBA more competitive. I disagree with the person who said every team entering the playoffs is bad. I think it's alright because in the end not every teams going to win a ring or be in the finals atleast but two. The chances of the players turning into sixth men if this does happen will not really effect the team it'll effec them because their tempo players who control nothing but that. We see what happens when there's two superstars needing the ball it's either off the ball offense or quality plays one or the other.

Mamba
12-24-2010, 02:24 AM
i think getting rid of the following teams would be perfect for the NBA:

LA clippers
Sacramento Kings
New Orleans Hornets
Memphis Grizzlies

seriously these teams always have horrible FO decisions, almost never make the playoffs and always overpay players.

why does joe johnson have such a fat contract? i'll tell you why, coz the league is watered down and if there were less teams he'd be in the position he should be in. a role player on a good team.

evilmonkey
12-24-2010, 02:28 AM
I agree with Lebron.............. :cheers:

97 bulls
12-24-2010, 02:28 AM
No, you're not showing me anything. You're just failing to see my point.
Two teams? What the f**k???

I already explained it here:
Man come on, I don't really mean there should only be 2 teams. Im just trying to prove a point. Why don't you go back to the 70s and look at all the teams and tell me who had a guy that was capable of being a starter as a twelfth man.

Like I said, theres plenty of talent. Now if you want to contract teams due to the league not making money, fine and miami would be at the top of the list. But fans aren't not going to games cuz the players are bad, they're not going cuz they're not interested in basketball. Ot in some cases the teams are bad. But there were bad teams when there were 24-26 teams in the league and the league was struggling too

Batz
12-24-2010, 02:29 AM
I agree with Lebron.............. :cheers:
Ofcourse you do.

evilmonkey

:applause: :applause:

evilmonkey

:applause: :applause:

comerb
12-24-2010, 02:33 AM
He's right, regardless of what any of you haters say.

Game5WasDaBess
It looks like LeBron is scared of more competition. :rolleyes:

DeronMillsap
Minnesota "Timber/Cats"
Augustin-Wallace-Beasley-Love-Darko
Diaw, Thomas, Johnson, etc off the bench

^^^Bottom-feeding teams would turn into that. :bowdown:

NBA would definitely be competitive just like the NFL and MLB.

yeaaaman
12-24-2010, 02:35 AM
Why would having 24 teams instead of 30 increase the chances of injuries?

The 82 games schedule is fine for a 24 team league. Most of the rosters will have above average players so even if your star player is out that team will have a couple of quality players stepping up. That's why I suggested a slight roster expansion for that.

There won't be that many meaningless games because teams like the Wolves and Bucks would have more talented players on their squad. Guys like Gerard Wallace, Tyrus Thomas, David West, ect would be on the Wolves or Bucks if we get rid of the Bobcats and Hornets.

Do you see it now???? How having less teams would be that much better. But still have enough teams for enough games and help make(save) money for the league. Not 2-15 teams like 97bulls suggested. That is too extreme!!!

I didn't say less teams = higher chances of injuries, I said if you're interested in quality have less games. Clearly, more games = more chances of injury. As well, some of the interest may not just be with the quality of the ball, people do say the season is too long and drawn out, even probably for some players to remain interested.

Fair enough but I don't think that will all of a sudden equal parity among the teams, there will still be good and bad teams, just less sh*t teams. But in any case I'm not sure that would drastically make the league better.

And ya sure 2 teams is extreme but the whole idea is who/what's to say what the parameters for cutting excess fat should be? I mean, you could cut it down to 8 teams in each conference if you want to improve the quality. Even more worse teams and players are weeded out.

I'm just trying to argue the other side of the coin really.

97 bulls
12-24-2010, 02:36 AM
i think getting rid of the following teams would be perfect for the NBA:

LA clippers
Sacramento Kings
New Orleans Hornets
Memphis Grizzlies

seriously these teams always have horrible FO decisions, almost never make the playoffs and always overpay players.

why does joe johnson have such a fat contract? i'll tell you why, coz the league is watered down and if there were less teams he'd be in the position he should be in. a role player on a good team.
Joe johnson is a very good starter. But he is over paid. I just hate to see guys that are very capable 20 ppg scorers not get a shot to be the best they can be.

evilmonkey
12-24-2010, 02:36 AM

no... his statement means only the opposite u riiiiiiiithaurd...

HEAT111
12-24-2010, 02:37 AM
It's true.

Think about it, If Phoenix Suns were to have Carter, and Hill back in the day with Nash. They'd have been the original big 3.

97 bulls
12-24-2010, 02:40 AM
I didn't say less teams = higher chances of injuries, I said if you're interested in quality have less games. Clearly, more games = more chances of injury. As well, some of the interest may not just be with the quality of the ball, people do say the season is too long and drawn out, even probably for some players to remain interested.

Fair enough but I don't think that will all of a sudden equal parity among the teams, there will still be good and bad teams, just less sh*t teams. But in any case I'm not sure that would drastically make the league better.

And ya sure 2 teams is extreme but the whole idea is who/what's to say what the parameters for cutting excess fat should be? I mean, you could cut it down to 8 teams in each conference if you want to improve the quality. Even more worse teams and players are weeded out.

Exactly and repped.

Lebron23
12-24-2010, 02:40 AM

http://bbsimg.ngfiles.com/15/21669000/ngbbs4c71a70368815.jpg

no... this statement means only the opposite u fgt...

:oldlol: :oldlol: :oldlol:

DeronMillsap
12-24-2010, 02:41 AM
Man come on, I don't really mean there should only be 2 teams. Im just trying to prove a point. Why don't you go back to the 70s and look at all the teams and tell me who had a guy that was capable of being a starter as a twelfth man.

Like I said, theres plenty of talent. Now if you want to contract teams due to the league not making money, fine and miami would be at the top of the list. But fans aren't not going to games cuz the players are bad, they're not going cuz they're not interested in basketball. Ot in some cases the teams are bad. But there were bad teams when there were 24-26 teams in the league and the league was struggling too
NBA was still in its infancy back then in terms of popularity but it was still competitive. Bucks, Sonics, Blazers, Bullets/Wizards...all these teams have their one and only title from the 70's.

Yeah, there are enough talents in the league but there are also too many crappy players too. Some of these scrubs need to be working 9-5 jobs, not the in the NBA.

Don't you agree that guys like Gerard Wallace, Chris Paul, Kevin Love, etc...are all wasting their talents on teams nobody care about? But if you combined their talents on a Wolves/Bobcats team or a Hornets/Wolves team, more people would start caring about their games.

coin24
12-24-2010, 02:42 AM
Its not like those shitty teams dont have the same opportunities though, they have the same cap to spend etc..

I mean, look at some of the rosters of the kings, bobcats, clippers, wizards etc, all there promising talent is on rookie salaries and the rest is just flushed down the toilet on overpaid guys that in most cases dont really even play:facepalm

I dont get how those gm's even have a job anymore...

If i had $54 million to spend im sure i could put together a better squad than say the bobcats, damn, a handfull of d-leaguers and streetballers would be better than that mess..:facepalm :facepalm

Im not sure about getting rid of teams, obviously some are really painful to watch ( as above ), but maybe if in the new agreement included paying out a % of the contract and waiving unproductive useless players.. ie rashard lewis:lol .. Theyre not exactly living up to there part of the deal imo...

El Kabong
12-24-2010, 02:43 AM
So what happens if teams contracted? Does the NBA just go to 6 owners, here's $300-$400 million, now go away? And what if the owners don't want to lose their team? And if they had to pay out/buy 5-6 teams, it's going to cost them a billion or more dollars. Do they have the money to do something like that?

Mamba
12-24-2010, 02:44 AM
Joe johnson is a very good starter. But he is over paid. I just hate to see guys that are very capable 20 ppg scorers not get a shot to be the best they can be.
list me a few that could be 20 ppg scorers and actually turn there team into a winner.

nick young is the only candidate i can think of.

Lebron23
12-24-2010, 02:44 AM
no... his statement means only the opposite u riiiiiiiithaurd...

I really hated these failed gimmick accounts. They lack originally, lack common sense, and they are very annoying.

The Mike Beas troll is a funny gimmick account.

DeronMillsap
12-24-2010, 02:48 AM

We're not looking to add more than 82 games here. Injuries will happen whether it's 82 games or 66 games or 50 games. So I don't see why you bringing it up. Plus, with better quality roster, injuries won't be that devastating in terms of staying competitive for some teams if they have good reserve players on their squad.

82 is too much in terms of quality basketball when you have teams like the Bobcats, Nets, Wolves, Hornets, etc...but 82 would be fine if a few of those teams are eliminated and their talents are on one roster.

8 teams, less games = less money. NBA still needs to make money. It's not just wanting better quality basketball, it's also making profit or saving money. 24 is actually leaning in favor of your POV but like 97bulls, you're trying to go extreme with 8 team just to try to shut down my view even though mine isn't extreme at all. It's actually reasonable for fans who still want the games and talents to be displayed.

Game5WasDaBess
12-24-2010, 02:51 AM
I really hated these failed gimmick accounts. They lack originally, lack common sense, and they are very annoying.

The Mike Beas troll is a funny gimmick account.
Your account is the worst on ish and 30k of posts doesn't make it better or make you a better poster, ******.

Sarcastic
12-24-2010, 02:51 AM

The good players would still get a shot. There would still be more than enough teams to support the good players. The scrubs at the end of the bench are the only ones who would be gone.

Snoop_Cat
12-24-2010, 02:52 AM
So what happens if teams contracted? Does the NBA just go to 6 owners, here's $300-$400 million, now go away? And what if the owners don't want to lose their team? And if they had to pay out/buy 5-6 teams, it's going to cost them a billion or more dollars. Do they have the money to do something like that?

I am also curious as to how a contraction would work, what would happen to the ownerships of these teams?

97 bulls
12-24-2010, 02:53 AM
NBA was still in its infancy back then in terms of popularity but it was still competitive. Bucks, Sonics, Blazers, Bullets/Wizards...all these teams have their one and only title from the 70's.

Yeah, there are enough talents in the league but there are also too many crappy players too. Some of these scrubs need to be working 9-5 jobs, not the in the NBA.

Don't you agree that guys like Gerard Wallace, Chris Paul, Kevin Love, etc...are all wasting their talents on teams nobody care about? But if you combined their talents on a Wolves/Bobcats team or a Hornets/Wolves team, more people would start caring about their games.
Miami can't even fill their stadium and they have three allstars and are 22 and 8 I believe. The bulls were shitty for over 10 years and they still had a packed house every night. Its not the players, its the owners. The hornets were one player away from being a contender a few years ago and their FO wouldn't do what it took to put their team over the top. I mean not everyone can win. Go back and look at all the greats that never won. And there were great players that were on crappy teams. For their career even more. And this was in a mid 20 team league.

Mamba
12-24-2010, 02:53 AM
The good players would still get a shot. There would still be more than enough teams to support the good players. The scrubs at the end of the bench are the only ones who would be gone.
and so they should, they get paid millions of dollars to clap every game, im sorry but i agree with lebron, if it wasn't for the watered down teams gm's wouldn't have to overpay crap players.

larry hughes would of never recieved that fat of a contract.

yeaaaman
12-24-2010, 02:55 AM
We're not looking to add more than 82 games here so injuries will happen whether it's 82 games or 66 games or 50 games.

82 is too much in terms of quality basketball when you have teams like the Bobcats, Nets, Wolves, Hornets, etc...but 82 would be fine if a few of those teams are eliminated and their talents are on one roster.

8 teams, less games = less money. 24 is actually leaning in favor of your POV but like 97bulls, you're trying to go extreme with 8 team just to try to shut down my view even though mine isn't extreme at all. It's actually reasonable for fans who still want the games and talents to be displayed.

If you reread I didn't say 8 teams total I said 8 per conference, that shouldn't necessarily be extreme 16 teams, or maybe 10 per conference for 20 teams. Because if you want to contract to 24 I'd say there are lot more than 6 sh*t teams if we're going down that route.

CMsam
12-24-2010, 02:56 AM
I disagree with the person who said every team entering the playoffs is bad. I think it's alright because in the end not every teams going to win a ring or be in the finals atleast but two. The chances of the players turning into sixth men if this does happen will not really effect the team it'll effec them because their tempo players who control nothing but that. We see what happens when there's two superstars needing the ball it's either off the ball offense or quality plays one or the other.

There does have to be adequate incentive to win regular season games. You can't have everyone make the playoffs. Otherwise why would they play a regular season? And there has to be enough teams competing for playoff spots to keep teams from being able to coast basically from the start of the allstar break.

That's why I think 28 teams is a good number. 16 teams will make the playoffs, 12 will miss them. But competition will be tighter so race for the spots will be closer. Would you rather have 6 teams who are all out of it by February, or 4 teams who are in it till the end? Quality over quantity, I say.

Altho it's definitely true the league would have to make a short-term financial sacrifice for long-term good. But the NBA is not the only basketball league out there, and it does not have a monopoly on global talent. Foreign leagues are eating into the NBA's pool of talent, and the NBA needs to understand that and adjust its size accordingly.

Sarcastic
12-24-2010, 02:57 AM
and so they should, they get paid millions of dollars to clap every game, im sorry but i agree with lebron, if it wasn't for the watered down teams gm's wouldn't have to overpay crap players.

larry hughes would of never recieved that fat of a contract.

This is pretty much why the Knicks had an awful decade. They tried to just be good enough to make the playoffs, and continuously paid semi decent stars tons of money, and it destroyed them. They were never bad enough to get an early pick in the draft, and they were saddled with huge contracts.

DeronMillsap
12-24-2010, 03:03 AM
Miami can't even fill their stadium and they have three allstars and are 22 and 8 I believe. The bulls were shitty for over 10 years and they still had a packed house every night. Its not the players, its the owners. The hornets were one player away from being a contender a few years ago and their FO wouldn't do what it took to put their team over the top. I mean not everyone can win. Go back and look at all the greats that never won. And there were great players that were on crappy teams. For their career even more. And this was in a mid 20 team league.
If we get rid of the scrubs then the owners wouldn't have to make so many bad deals and signings. They see a "star" player putting up all-star stats so they'll assume he's a great player but in reality he, at best, is an average player on a championship contending team.

I'm not what the Heat and Bulls attendance have to do with my previous statement. Fans will come out more when their teams are competitive. Chicago is one of those major markets that will sell-out no matter how their teams are doing. It's the Charlotte's, New Orlean's and Memphis' that suffers.
Heat fans aren't showing up but their season tickets were all sold-out so I am assuming a lot of the ticket buyers were scalpers.

97 bulls
12-24-2010, 03:04 AM
Ok but who cares about scrubs on the bench. The 12th man rarely plays anyway. Even when there were mid 20 team leagues. I just saying, even if you move the teams down to 24, your always gonna have bad teams

DeronMillsap
12-24-2010, 03:08 AM
If you reread I didn't say 8 teams total I said 8 per conference, that shouldn't necessarily be extreme 16 teams, or maybe 10 per conference for 20 teams. Because if you want to contract to 24 I'd say there are lot more than 6 sh*t teams if we're going down that route.
Yes, there are a lot more than 6 scrub teams right now but some of those teams have stars on their squad. Get them drafted(like an expansion draft) to the other scrub teams then half of those crappy teams would be reduced.

97 bulls
12-24-2010, 03:11 AM
If we get rid of the scrubs then the owners wouldn't have to make so many bad deals and signings. They see a "star" player putting up all-star stats so they'll assume he's a great player but in reality he, at best, is an average player on a championship contending team.

I'm not what the Heat and Bulls attendance have to do with my previous statement. Fans will come out more when their teams are competitive. Chicago is one of those major markets that will sell-out no matter how their teams are doing. It's the Charlotte's, New Orlean's and Memphis' that suffers.
Heat fans aren't showing up but their season tickets were all sold-out so I am assuming a lot of the ticket buyers were scalpers.
Owners have been making bad deals for as long as I can remember. It ain't gonna change even if you disband a few teams. I mean its not like the league is gonna have a 50 win team in every city. It just can't happen.

bluechox2
12-24-2010, 03:13 AM
teams i would remove: bobcats, clippers, hornets, grizzlies, warriors, kings (move them to las vegas) maybe move another team to seattle

DeronMillsap
12-24-2010, 03:15 AM
Ok but who cares about scrubs on the bench. The 12th man rarely plays anyway. Even when there were mid 20 team leagues. I just saying, even if you move the teams down to 24, your always gonna have bad teams
But the bad teams weren't that bad compared to today.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1976%E2%80%9377_NBA_season
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1977%E2%80%9378_NBA_season
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1978%E2%80%9379_NBA_season
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1975%E2%80%9376_NBA_season
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1974%E2%80%9375_NBA_season
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1973%E2%80%9374_NBA_season

See how many 30+win bad teams there were in the 70's? Even the worse teams hover around 27 wins but it's only 1 or 2 teams, not 5-6 terrible teams like it is nowadays.

Now we get about five or six 10-20 win teams freakin' every season.

97 bulls
12-24-2010, 03:17 AM
Let's take the suns for instance. Jared dudley who is a quality bench player would be relegated to possibly a 10th man. I just don't see how that makes the league better. Dudley would never get any burn as a 10th guy. You wanna make the league better, cut the season down to 60 games. So like yeaman said each game is more important.

bdreason
12-24-2010, 03:19 AM
You're going to have disparity regardless. Say you contract 6 teams and are left with 12 All-Stars to disperse (more like 8-10). So 12 of the 24 remaining teams gets an extra All-Star caliber player, and the other 12 teams stay the same (get worse).

Plus, whose to say the best players remain in the NBA? With the talent scouts on some of these teams, the NBA would probably just lose a bunch of quality players, and keep a bunch of athletic scrubs with "potential".

Mamba
12-24-2010, 03:21 AM
Let's take the suns for instance. Jared dudley who is a quality bench player would be relegated to possibly a 10th man. I just don't see how that makes the league better. Dudley would never get any burn as a 10th guy. You wanna make the league better, cut the season down to 60 games. So like yeaman said each game is more important.

if jared dudley works his arse off in practice and in the 20 minutes a game he would get u better believe he'd deserve playing time.

not any of this lets give t-mac another shot because hey he played great once, got paid started playing like shit, but he spent all his money that he earnt so lets give him another shot by paying him 5 mil a year and see if things can work out with him.

lpublic_enemyl
12-24-2010, 03:23 AM
point is the nba is a business and if contracting will cost money and reduced profits then why shud they do it, but the idea of a better league is enticing

DeronMillsap
12-24-2010, 03:23 AM
A bit OFF TOPIC:
Wow....looking through the wiki links I posted and didn't even realized the Blazers won the NBA title a year after missing the playoffs the previous season.

1975-76 did not qualify.
1976-77 NBA champions.
:eek:

DeronMillsap
12-24-2010, 03:27 AM
point is the nba is a business and if contracting will cost money and reduced profits then why shud they do it, but the idea of a better league is enticing
Well, the NBA is losing money as it is right now.

More than half the teams aren't making money.

P.S. Good thread. I'm tired, I lost track of the time....2:31, DAMN!!!!!

O.J A 6'4Mamba
12-24-2010, 03:32 AM
I 100% agree with this. I have been saying the league is more watered down then ever many times.

Take the Grizzlies for example, OJ Mayo and Rudy Gay are so f****** talented, Marc Gasol is also very good, but the organization they play for is a joke, and they will continue to have sub 500 record year after year. Get rid of them and other crap teams. Combine crap teams from conferences like the Hornets and Grizzlies. Twolves and Kings

PG: Chris Paul
SG: OJ Mayo
SF: Rudy Gay
PF: David West
C: Marc Gasol

PG: Johnny Flynn
SG: Tyreke Evans
SF: Michael Beasley
PF: Kevin Love
C: DeMarcus Cousins

and let's start playing basketball

DeronMillsap
12-24-2010, 03:34 AM
I 100% agree with this. I have been saying the league is more watered down then ever many times.

Take the Grizzlies for example, OJ Mayo and Rudy Gay are so f****** talented, Marc Gasol is also very good, but the organization they play for is a joke, and they will continue to have sub 500 record year after year. Get rid of them and other crap teams. Combine crap teams from conferences like the Hornets and Grizzlies. Twolves and Kings

Yes!!!! OJ Mamba gets it. :applause:

Sarcastic
12-24-2010, 03:40 AM

The league actually loses more money and profits now with more teams. You have a bunch of teams at the bottom that are being supported by just a few at the top.

FindingTim
12-24-2010, 03:46 AM
I rarely like/respect what Lebron has to say, but I'm with him on this one... speak your mind Lebron, speak your mind!

...maybe there is a real person in there after all.....

Mr. Jabbar
12-24-2010, 03:49 AM
I rarely like/respect what Lebron has to say, but I'm with him on this one... speak your mind Lebron, speak your mind!

...maybe there is a real person in there after all.....

what should I do, what should I do, to shrink the nba or leave it as it is, what should I do, what should I do, to keep my mouth shut or F it up more

fan up fan up fan up MIAMI

97 bulls
12-24-2010, 04:00 AM
You're going to have disparity regardless. Say you contract 6 teams and are left with 12 All-Stars to disperse (more like 8-10). So 12 of the 24 remaining teams gets an extra All-Star caliber player, and the other 12 teams stay the same (get worse).

Plus, whose to say the best players remain in the NBA? With the talent scouts on some of these teams, the NBA would probably just lose a bunch of quality players, and keep a bunch of athletic scrubs with "potential".
Exactly grwat post and repped

97 bulls
12-24-2010, 04:06 AM

This is exactly my point. Who is the 12th man on this team? Love? The guy that got 30-30. The first one to do so since barkley? Or cousins? Who was a top 5 lottery pick. Come on.

DeronMillsap
12-24-2010, 04:09 AM
List of teams with 19 or less wins...
http://www.nbauniverse.com/statistics/worst_seasons.htm
1960s: 3
1970s: 3
1980s: 9
1990s: 18
2000s: 14
^including 2009-10

You see a pattern there...just sayin'

Mamba
12-24-2010, 04:12 AM
This is exactly my point. Who is the 12th man on this team? Love? The guy that got 30-30. The first one to do so since barkley? Or cousins? Who was a top 5 lottery pick. Come on.
rookies had to earn playing time back in the day, not be put on a team and given the green light to chuck away.

also, im thinking about if you combined the teams, drew gooden a bonafide loser will be out of the league, there wouldn't be such thing as being a lazy player because if you are someone could take your spot. carlos boozer wouldn't be able to jump from team to team like he wants to, and u wouldn't see the same teams in the finals and playoffs every damn year.

bdreason
12-24-2010, 04:19 AM
And also realize that having bad teams is neccessary. How is anyone ever going to get a chance to prove themselves if every team is stacked? In Europe? In the D-League?

How many players have we seen make a name for themselves on a lousy team? What if these players had been relegated to the end of the bench to start their careers instead?

As long as you can put fans in the seats, then who cares if you're a really good team? Not every team can win. And this is from a guy who has been a Warriors fan for 20 years, only to see them make the playoffs twice.

PHX_Phan
12-24-2010, 04:22 AM
I don't think dropping six teams would do as much as some here seem to think it will. Only six teams isn't going to make the league competitive all of the sudden, unless you disperse that talent only to the lower teams, which I don't think is really fair. You'd be gifting a franchise for poor performance by just throwing talent at their rosters. But if you do a league-wide draft, you just end up making the good teams better.

Not to mention how much money this would initially cost the NBA to do, just to hope that it pays off in the long run. If you're thinking about doing something that drastic, why not consider taking all of the players in the league, ranking them and doing a draft? It would disperse talent across the league. Sure, you're giving a big **** you to teams like the Lakers and Boston that have put in the work to build good teams, but you'd also be saying **** you to entire franchises / cities if you were to go with the former idea.

Samurai Swoosh
12-24-2010, 04:23 AM
LeBron and I think the same ... I just mentioned contraction earlier today and people jumped my nuts. It would make the NBA so much better.

DeronMillsap
12-24-2010, 04:24 AM
And also realize that having bad teams is neccessary. How is anyone ever going to get a chance to prove themselves if every team is stacked? In Europe? In the D-League?

How many players have we seen make a name for themselves on a lousy team? What if these players had been relegated to the end of the bench to start their careers instead?

As long as you can put fans in the seats, then who cares if you're a really good team? Not every team can win. And this is from a guy who has been a Warriors fan for 20 years, only to see them make the playoffs twice.
A lot of them belong in the D-league and European leagues.

Most teams are losing hundred million of dollars. They're not putting fans in the seats.

UtahJazzFan88
12-24-2010, 04:39 AM

+1.

A lot of teams are losing money, but that can be attributed to the economy and the fact that there's TV and what not. Some teams need to do more promoting and marketing to get more fans in the seats.

I wouldn't be opposed to having 2 teams be contracted, but I like the fact that cities like Sacramento, Portland, and Salt Lake City get their one big four sports franchise because of the NBA.

Kurosawa0
12-24-2010, 04:56 AM
I just think the league would be much better if say Memphis, Minnesota and New Orleans were contracted in the West and Charlotte, Toronto and Washington were cut in the East.

It would make the league so much more competitive if players like Rudy Gay, Marc Gasol, Kevin Love, Chris Paul, David West, John Wall etc. were to filter down to the remaining teams.

Look at how it is right now. Teams like Memphis and Charlotte aren't going to be winning anything... ever. Maybe they get to the playoffs once and awhile, but what are the odds they'll be anything more than mediocre?

The NBA was at it's peak in the 80's because you had genuine playoff wars and match ups that weren't already a given. We need that now. The only one we really have now is Boston-Lakers. It'd be nice if we had another three or four superteams. Sure, the lower teams would still suffer, but they're suffering now. The only difference is that the teams at the top aren't as good either.

Samurai Swoosh
12-24-2010, 05:02 AM
I just think the league would be much better if say Memphis, Minnesota and New Orleans were contracted in the West and Charlotte, Toronto and Washington were cut in the East.

It would make the league so much more competitive if players like Rudy Gay, Marc Gasol, Kevin Love, Chris Paul, David West, John Wall etc. were to filter down to the remaining teams.

Look at how it is right now. Teams like Memphis and Charlotte aren't going to be winning anything... ever. Maybe they get to the playoffs once and awhile, but what are the odds they'll be anything more than mediocre?

The NBA was at it's peak in the 80's because you had genuine playoff wars and match ups that weren't already a given. We need that now. The only one we really have now is Boston-Lakers. It'd be nice if we had another three or four superteams. Sure, the lower teams would still suffer, but they're suffering now. The only difference is that the teams at the top aren't as good either.
This guy gets it ...

It's about quality product, not expansion into foreign / secondary markets (IE Canada, Europe, etc)

They should be trying to put the best product on the court.

And I wouldn't stop at subtracting just one team from each division.

Toronto, Milwaukee, Charlotte, Minnesota, Clippers, New Orleans

Would be the mandated each team from each division ... Wouldn't stop there, either

Washington, Atlanta, Memphis, Sacramento ... take them too.

Mr. Grieves
12-24-2010, 05:04 AM
Lol Lebron needs to learn how to stfu.

If the teams were shrunk guess who gets the axe? Teams without fan attendence, i.e. the heat.

Samurai Swoosh
12-24-2010, 05:07 AM
If the teams were shrunk guess who gets the axe? Teams without fan attendence, i.e. the heat.
The Heat sold out their games. Meaning people paid for their tickets in advance. A season ticket holder has the right to whether he wants to show up or not. Miami isn't some poor town, there is a lot of wealthy powerful people who live down there. Just cause the stands aren't packed doesn't mean they aren't doing well financially. And you can bet your ass when the games start to mean something, they will be there in full force.

LA_Showtime
12-24-2010, 06:27 AM
I think it's a good idea, but I'm guessing this was LeBron's way of getting in a shot against Jay Z and the Nets. :oldlol:

nbacardDOTnet
12-24-2010, 06:30 AM
Lol Lebron needs to learn how to stfu.

no he won't

He is queen james.

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn200/nbacardDOTnet/zz%20NBA%20Photo%20Gallery/z%20Funny%20NBA%20Photos/Others%20Masterpiece/0%20queen%20lebron%20james/Quitness/11j2a6hcopy.jpg

DDensity
12-24-2010, 06:33 AM
Contraction is not the answer at all. Think about how many late draft picks have panned out. Just off the top of my head, Manu came late in the 2nd round. Monta Ellis was taken 40th overall. There's an endless list of stories like this, several of whom have even been mentioned in this thread. My point is a lot of these guys would not have even been given a chance in a smaller league. Smaller league means fewer opportunities for players to develop.

The actual solution is to get rid of guaranteed contracts. Think about how many players end up being absolute cancers to their teams after they land a massive contract. These teams end up keeping these expensive dudes around for no other reason than being committed to paying them a lot of money, even when there is better talent available. As it stands, if a GM makes a single mistake, it could take years to fix it. Years because you're not only stuck with a massive contract limiting your flexibility but said player is under performing while the guys you've surrounded him with waste away their primes.

There is absolutely no risk for the players today. You land your contract, you're getting it in full as long as you don't break any rules. There's no reason it should be that way. Now, I do think there should be protection for the players in case of injury. At the same time, the teams need some sort of protection from this as well. Otherwise you're going to continue to see situations like Houston and Yao. I use Houston as an example because they have an excellent GM who has drafted well and made smart trades (mostly) but is stuck in a situation he can do nothing about. Tens of millions being paid to Yao, while also consuming limited cap space.

Make the players responsible for performing and watch what happens. You won't have a Baron Davis showing up fat every fall if he knows he could be cut. Or a Rashard Lewis scoring 10 points a game shooting 30% from 3pt continuing to eat a max contract. I don't care how many teams you retract; if this system stays nothing gets better.

LA_Showtime
12-24-2010, 06:36 AM
I wouldn't mind if the NBA contracted, but they would definitely have to upgrade the minor leagues. If the NBA's minor league was more established, then guys could actually develop and grow into decent players.

Samurai Swoosh
12-24-2010, 06:38 AM
Make the players responsible for performing and watch what happens. You won't have a Baron Davis showing up fat every fall if he knows he could be cut. Or a Rashard Lewis scoring 10 points a game shooting 30% from 3pt continuing to eat a max contract. I don't care how many teams you retract; if this system stays nothing gets better.
Uhhh ...

Simple mathmatics.

Less teams, less players, less jobs ...

Forces players to improve and maintain their games.

:facepalm

Showtime
12-24-2010, 06:58 AM
Actually, quite the opposite. The reason the Lakers have such a huge advantage is because of a watered down league. Because of their history, their location, and their success, they are more attractive of a destination for players, and have more ability to draw in top talent, so they are able to get better teams when lesser teams cannot.

Blue&Orange
12-24-2010, 07:30 AM
I guess in the eighties there was no teams like the Nets and wolves, everybody was at least a .500 team and everyone made to the playoffs, so yes Lebron does have a point.

Nash
12-24-2010, 08:36 AM
I agree with what he says. The whole socialist thinking in the NBA where they always want to spread the talent is crazy. Lets have a smaller league which obviously going to give us a better basketball product instead of seeing good players play with shit players. Like Garnett for example, dude was rotting in Timberwolves for years.

sixer6ad
12-24-2010, 09:20 AM
His logic is solid in this one, but in no way, shape, or form should he have used players' names or teams. He's too much of a lightning rod right now and just needs to shut his mouth. He just needs to ball and shut up.

I noticed last night he got booed - once again - on every possession. I thought to myself "if he's getting booed in Phoenix of all places, this guy's in trouble." Then I wake up and read this.

Dude just can't stop tripping himself - even on a point where he is 100% correct.

sixer6ad
12-24-2010, 09:22 AM
The Heat sold out their games. Meaning people paid for their tickets in advance. A season ticket holder has the right to whether he wants to show up or not. Miami isn't some poor town, there is a lot of wealthy powerful people who live down there. Just cause the stands aren't packed doesn't mean they aren't doing well financially. And you can bet your ass when the games start to mean something, they will be there in full force.

It just means their fan base sucks.

ALBballer
12-24-2010, 09:23 AM
I agree with LBJ but it will never happen.

BlackWhiteGreen
12-24-2010, 09:59 AM
Problem is, when does it end? People say "well Player X deserves to play on a good team" and then the teams end up get contracted, and then the teams get better, so some teams will still be worse, and player Y now deserves to be on a better team, so contract some other teams, etc... I don't disagree with perhaps a couple of small market teams, but there has to be a line.

Easily my favourite thing about the NBA is the fact that on any night a team can beat another one, and it still rings true. Yeah, so some teams win more often than others, but occasionally teams like OKC (and Portland, if it hadn't been screwed by injuries) pop up and become great teams through the draft - exactly the reason why the draft is how it is.

eliteballer
12-24-2010, 10:07 AM
Way to throw your fellow employees under the bus, LBJ. Less jobs for everyone.

PurpleChuck
12-24-2010, 10:09 AM
He wants an easier road to championship.:oldlol:

stephanieg
12-24-2010, 10:17 AM
If this were a couple years ago I'd agree. But right now there's actually more superteams than usual, more than any year in the '80s, so it's all good. But I'm definitely worried what happens in maybe 5 years or so. Hopefully it won't be like it was in the early 2000s.

JtotheIzzo
12-24-2010, 10:20 AM
it'll never happen, but why can't we all agree he is 100% correct and we should respect the fact that he spoke the truth, as unpopular as that may be.

dallaslonghorn
12-24-2010, 12:11 PM

Contraction would obviously make this harder not easier ... think.

Once again LeBron says something fairly non-controversial and completely obvious ... and everyone freaks the f*** out :oldlol:

Relax guys, he's no actually "The Chosen One"; he's just a good basketball player with some opinions. He can't actually contract teams on a whim :facepalm

IGOTGAME
12-24-2010, 12:18 PM
it'll never happen, but why can't we all agree he is 100% correct and we should respect the fact that he spoke the truth, as unpopular as that may be.

he said it would be better for the league. You mean the organization? Yes, it will likely turn a higher profit. As far as employees, including players it is much worst for them. there is less money in the pot for the same number of players, meaning less max contracts which trickles down.

Also, how far do you contract. If you really want it to be better for the league then it would prob need to be at least 4 teams. How do you pick those for teams.

G-Funk
12-24-2010, 01:17 PM

This is not good, it's only gonna kill the talent. 1 ball not enough touches for some of these players to flourish

G-Funk
12-24-2010, 01:17 PM

This is not good, it's only gonna kill the talent. 1 ball not enough touches for some of these players to flourish

Nash
12-24-2010, 01:26 PM
I bet by now you wish you used your brain before posting this.

PurpleChuck
12-24-2010, 01:27 PM
I bet by now you wish you used your brain before posting this.

Frankly, yup.:(

Haha but hey it's Christmas, have a laugh.:cheers:

lilWesleyJ4
12-24-2010, 01:48 PM
Contraction would obviously make this harder not easier ... think.

Once again LeBron says something fairly non-controversial and completely obvious ... and everyone freaks the f*** out :oldlol:

Relax guys, he's no actually "The Chosen One"; he's just a good basketball player with some opinions. He can't actually contract teams on a whim :facepalm
Contraction is a non-controversial subject? :roll: :lol :oldlol: :roll:

Kurosawa0
12-24-2010, 01:49 PM

Actually, contraction would probably make winning a championship more difficult.

PurpleChuck
12-24-2010, 01:50 PM
Actually, contraction would probably make winning a championship more difficult.

Yup I felt a bit dumb haha.:oldlol:

But it's okay, Merry Christmas guys.:cheers:

97 bulls
12-24-2010, 01:54 PM
I agree with what he says. The whole socialist thinking in the NBA where they always want to spread the talent is crazy. Lets have a smaller league which obviously going to give us a better basketball product instead of seeing good players play with shit players. Like Garnett for example, dude was rotting in Timberwolves for years.
How is this socialist? This is capitalism at its finest. The league sees an opportunity to CAPITAIZE of it pouparlarity and grows. That's all im saying. You guys are acting like the talent isn't there. The talent is fine. Saying that the league would be better with a guy the caliber of kevin love being a twelfth man is rediculous. The fact is he ain't gonna play. There's not enough time and there's only one ball.

The owners and gms are the ones that are bad. They just don't do well by their teams. And I do agree that these contracts shouldnt be guaranteed. Only a portion. The rest needs to be incentive based. And cut the games a few to make each game more important. I mean, you got teams saying that games don't matter. Games that are against teams you might see in the playoffs. These are the games you want to show teams and send a message.

Harion
12-24-2010, 05:06 PM
first of all, they should dissolve or move teams that are not selling out enough seats. it's just a waste of basketball talent putting a team in a city that does not care enough to support its team.

then they need to put in a system of relegation and promotion much like in soccer. bottom feeders need to be relegated and the best performers of the next division be promoted to the NBA.

and the craziness that is guaranteed contracts need to stop.

Killer_Instinct
12-24-2010, 05:14 PM
SMH at this guy begging for more help.

LA_Showtime
12-24-2010, 05:16 PM
Actually, quite the opposite. The reason the Lakers have such a huge advantage is because of a watered down league. Because of their history, their location, and their success, they are more attractive of a destination for players, and have more ability to draw in top talent, so they are able to get better teams when lesser teams cannot.

They also have a competent front office.

Irish
12-24-2010, 05:21 PM
Why did he bring up the T-Wolves?

They are under the salary cap and building a team progressively, steadily and most importantly responsibly without throwing obscene Joe Johnson/Rudy Gay contracts about. They could be a playoff team next year with a bit of luck.

Maybe Kevin Love would like prefer to be number one in Minnesota than number 4 in Miami.

It isn't everybody's dream to be your Mo Williams style lapdog LeBron.

gts
12-24-2010, 05:22 PM
nice job lebron, way to sell out the players... just jump on the league bandwagon and endorse the same hammer they are waving over the players association's heads...

dak121
12-24-2010, 05:28 PM
first of all, they should dissolve or move teams that are not selling out enough seats. it's just a waste of basketball talent putting a team in a city that does not care enough to support its team.

then they need to put in a system of relegation and promotion much like in soccer. bottom feeders need to be relegated and the best performers of the next division be promoted to the NBA.

and the craziness that is guaranteed contracts need to stop.

God no. The current system is definitely more preferable than what they do in Europe where half of the teams are at extreme levels of debt or are currently run by suspect owners. (Abramovich, Glazers, etc.)

game385
12-24-2010, 06:19 PM
I have to admit. LeBron had a good ass point here. I agree.

nightprowler10
12-24-2010, 06:20 PM
Which city has the smallest market for basketball, out of interest? I'm betting Charlotte, but I'd like to see some numbers if possible.

97 bulls
12-24-2010, 07:07 PM
Which city has the smallest market for basketball, out of interest? I'm betting Charlotte, but I'd like to see some numbers if possible.
But see even when you go by tv markets, its not an exact science. Look at college. north carolina has a huge basketball following. And isn't duke close to north carolina too? But they put a quality product on the floor every night.

I don't care where you put a team, if they have a competant owner and GM, they're gonna pack it in. Especially the owner. You can't have a guy trying to low ball and save money all the time.

97 bulls
12-24-2010, 07:10 PM
nice job lebron, way to sell out the players... just jump on the league bandwagon and endorse the same hammer they are waving over the players association's heads...
He's a dumb ass, all he's doing is undercutting his unions negotiating ability. And he's killing his negotiating ability too. Less teams mean that owners don't need his services as bad. Due to the fact that he's competing against other great players for lesser spots.

DeronMillsap
12-24-2010, 07:44 PM
But see even when you go by tv markets, its not an exact science. Look at college. north carolina has a huge basketball following. And isn't duke close to north carolina too? But they put a quality product on the floor every night.

I don't care where you put a team, if they have a competant owner and GM, they're gonna pack it in. Especially the owner. You can't have a guy trying to low ball and save money all the time.
North Carolina is a big college basketball state but they never cared about the Bobcats or Hornets. Hornets were an exciting team(and pretty decent playoff too) to watch in the 90's. Duke and UNC are a few hours north of Charlotte but yeah, they're in the same region(Chapel Hill, Durham, Raleigh area...).

8BeastlyXOIAD
12-24-2010, 07:46 PM
Its a good idea but i hope this never happens

kentatm
12-24-2010, 07:51 PM
He's a dumb ass, all he's doing is undercutting his unions negotiating ability.

exactly. he just kicked his own union squarely in the balls.

LeBron apparently also doesn't understand the talent pool is much bigger now than it was in the 80s.

Besides, if you dump some of the bad teams, who are the Heat going to get their wins against?

8BeastlyXOIAD
12-24-2010, 07:53 PM
this

LeBron apparently also doesn't understand the talent pool is much bigger now than it was in the 80s.

Besides, if you dump some of the bad teams, who are the Heat going to get their wins against?
:lol :lol :lol :lol

97 bulls
12-24-2010, 07:54 PM
North Carolina is a big college basketball state but they never cared about the Bobcats or Hornets. Hornets were an exciting team(and pretty decent playoff too) to watch in the 90's. Duke and UNC are a few hours north of Charlotte but yeah, they're in the same region(Chapel Hill, Durham, Raleigh area...).
I think they packed the house when they had mourning, johnson, rice and co. If you win thell come. Why do you think duke and carolina fill the seats every night? Its cuz they contend every season. Not be a mid 15th ranked team one year and totally garbage the next 10. Who wants to pay to see that?

Doranku
12-24-2010, 08:15 PM
He's right, though. If you take the good players from teams that have virtually no chance to make or do anything in the Playoffs and add them to the mediocre/decent teams, the league would be a lot more enjoyable to watch.

nightprowler10
12-24-2010, 08:21 PM

Haha.

YAH trick YAH
12-24-2010, 09:08 PM
I agree with him 100%

guy
12-24-2010, 10:54 PM
“Hopefully the league can figure out one way where it can go back to the ’80s where you had three or four All-Stars, three or four superstars, three or four Hall of Famers on the same team,” James said. “The league was great. It wasn’t as watered down as it is [now].”

I don't think Lebron and most people realize how overblown this is. Obviously he's referring to teams like the Celtics and Lakers. Those 80s teams were built more on the intelligence and riskiness of their management plus alot of luck. Sure, its more possible with a smaller league, but even in today's league the only team in recent history to carry out as ballsy of a strategy of those teams did were the Heat. Let looks at the facts:

If Kareem isn't miserable in Milwaukee and demands a trade to either LA or NY, the Lakers don't get him. If the Lakers don't trade a Hall of Famer in Gail Goodrich to the Jazz for a package of picks, they don't get the no. 1 pick 3 years later and get Magic, the Jazz do. If the Lakers don't their their 1980 pick for a future 1982 pick to the Cavs, they don't get the no. 1 pick 2 years later and get Worthy, the Cavs do.

If Red Auerbach doesn't have the patience and intuition to draft Larry Bird a year earlier, the Celtics don't get him. If he doesn't pull off one of the biggest trade steals in NBA history, he doesn't get both McHale and Parish.

In a alternate universe, Kareem's on the Lakers, Magic's on the Jazz, Worthy's on the Cavs, Bird's on the Bulls, Parish stays with the Warriors, and McHale is still on the Celtics (Celtics would've had the no. 1 pick if they didn't make the trade). And by the way, I think its safe to assume that the Bulls don't get Jordan and the Jazz don't get Malone or Stockton. So like I said, it took alot of risky management decisions that are very uncommon for the 80s to be how they were. It wasn't just because there were less teams.

Lebron23
01-19-2014, 03:37 PM
3 years, and 1 month later. I still agree with Lebron. Just look at the eastern conference this year after Rose, Horford went down with an injury. I love to see the Lakers and Wolves in the Eastern Conference.

And just contract or merge the Bucks with the Bobcats.