PDA

View Full Version : Will Cleveland have the biggest drop off in wins in NBA history?

IN-PAX-WE-TRUST
01-02-2011, 09:48 PM
Cavs are going to win 20-25 games this season. Last year they won 60+. They could see a drop off of 40 wins this season. What's the biggest drop in wins from one season to the next in NBA history?

8BeastlyXOIAD
01-02-2011, 09:50 PM
What was the Bulls record after MJ/Pippen/Phil left?

Stoney
01-02-2011, 09:53 PM
What was the Bulls record after MJ/Pippen/Phil left?

13-37, but as the record suggets, that was in the lockout- shortened 99 season so it's rather difficult to compare to a 82 game season, and remember that Rodman also left them that season

Bigsmoke
01-02-2011, 09:55 PM
they gotta beat the 97 Spurs

NauruDude
01-02-2011, 10:00 PM
They gotta win games to get to 20 wins, that is something they cant unless the other teams fields 3 or less players.

jbryan1984
01-02-2011, 10:01 PM
13-37, but as the record suggets, that was in the lockout- shortened 99 season so it's rather difficult to compare to a 82 game season, and remember that Rodman also left them that season

You could go by percentages. That year, the Bulls finished with .260. The Cavs are on the verge for the worst record, I think even the Kings will sneak by them.

IN-PAX-WE-TRUST
01-02-2011, 11:25 PM
You could go by percentages. That year, the Bulls finished with .260. The Cavs are on the verge for the worst record, I think even the Kings will sneak by them.

Wow. Bulls lost Pippen, Jordan, Rodman and Phil Jackson. Cavaliers are essentially the same team except Lebron. Lebron is amazing.

guy
01-03-2011, 12:13 AM
Wow. Bulls lost Pippen, Jordan, Rodman and Phil Jackson. Cavaliers are essentially the same team except Lebron. Lebron is amazing.

Cavs also lost Z, Shaq, Delonte, and Mike Brown.

asdf1990
01-03-2011, 12:22 AM

Lol mike brown.

IN-PAX-WE-TRUST
01-03-2011, 12:34 AM

:roll:

Kurosawa0
01-03-2011, 01:00 AM
You add Z, Shaq, Delonte and Mike Brown to this team, they still wouldn't win 30 games.

Shaq would've already been hurt and checked out for the season by now.

guy
01-03-2011, 01:01 AM

What's so funny? That's 3 of their best players and the coach that the team was accustomed to for 5 seasons. I wasn't trying to equate it with the Bulls dip and take anything away from Lebron. I'm just saying there were significant changes other then Lebron. A team goes through that many changes, there almost a completely different team is my point.

konex
01-03-2011, 01:02 AM
Apart from the obvious void left by Bron, they are having a hard time adjusting to playing w/o the refs on their side every game..

dankok8
01-03-2011, 01:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IN-PAX-WE-TRUST

Pretty much just Lebron... Delonte barely played last year, Byron Scott > Mike Brown, and Shaq/Z are replaced with Varejao/Powe which is isnt much of a dropoff since Varejao is actually a great defender and Powe can actually move.

ginobli2311
01-03-2011, 01:11 AM
What's so funny? That's 3 of their best players and the coach that the team was accustomed to for 5 seasons. I wasn't trying to equate it with the Bulls dip and take anything away from Lebron. I'm just saying there were significant changes other then Lebron. A team goes through that many changes, there almost a completely different team is my point.

its clearly not the exact same team.

however, jamison playing helps a lot this year. don't forget he hardly played in the regular season last year and he's a proven regular season guy.

z/shaq/delonte all missed significant time and the cavs didn't fall off at all. delonte was actually a huge distraction last year and provided very little.

some quick facts:

mo missed 13 games
shaq missed 30
delonte missed 18
z missed 22
gibson missed 26

jamison only played 25

knowledge.

Scal
01-03-2011, 01:18 AM
Bulls won 62 games in 1998 (or .756) and then only 13 from 50 (or .260, which would equate to about 21 roughly in an 82 game season) the next season.

So Cavs won 61 games, so percentage-wise, they need about 21 or more (or less than a drop off of 40 wins).

Just for the record, 1997 Spurs dropped from 59 to 20 wins, which isn't quite as bad as the Bulls (but unlike the Bulls and Cavs -probably anyway- the Spurs losing that season has led to another decade and a half of consistency, playoff appearances and chapionships).

Mr. Jabbar
01-03-2011, 01:35 AM
Lol mike brown.

:lol

B-Easy
01-03-2011, 01:44 AM

Delonte and Z hurt more than they helped .. they were a better team when Gibson and Hickson got their minutes.

Collie
01-03-2011, 04:06 AM
Spurs had a HUGE dropoff, losing the equivalents of Lebron (David Robinson), and important roleplayers (guys like Vinny Del Negro), while gaining Dominique Wilkins.

jbryan1984
01-03-2011, 08:35 AM
I've said before.... Its not only LeBron and a couple role players left. Its a lot of things, no confidence is one of them. Don't say the cupcake schedule thing either. They beat Boston, they beat Memphis and they were competitive at the beginning. Now, they are not competitive a lot of the time. That Miami game took it out of them. No doubt, it is their own fault they can't get it back, they have the fan support. Another thing I said before, entirely new coaching system than what they are used to. Andy and Boobie never played NBA ball any other way than LeBron offense and San Antonio defense. So yeah, we can make excuses but nothing is going to happen this year. I would really like to get rid of Mo and Jamison. Actually, the entire team next year can go other than Boobie and Andy.

Alvy
01-03-2011, 08:55 AM
Apart from the obvious void left by Bron, they are having a hard time adjusting to playing w/o the refs on their side every game..

I hate to go back in time, so be careful when you open that door.

ginobli2311
01-03-2011, 09:19 AM
Jamisons MPG on Cleveland

2009: 32.4
2010: 29.8

Knowledge:cheers:

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. LOL

was talking about games played with the cavs (25....23 games started)

LOL....not a laughalbe 2.6 extra minutes a game.

wow.
:facepalm

ginobli2311
01-03-2011, 09:20 AM
good delete.
:cheers:

lilWesleyJ4
01-03-2011, 09:22 AM
good delete.
Yes:lol I realized what you meant 30 seconds after I posted. :facepalm @ me.

ginobli2311
01-03-2011, 09:24 AM
Yes:lol I realized what you meant 30 seconds after I posted. :facepalm @ me.

no big.

repped you.

trig
01-03-2011, 09:29 AM
they lost lebron and 3 zebras. guys like mo williams no longer gets bogus calls

NauruDude
01-03-2011, 09:35 AM
You add Z, Shaq, Delonte and Mike Brown to this team, they still wouldn't win 30 games.

Shaq would've already been hurt and checked out for the season by now.

You add Z to the team they win 50+ games. Z is the key to the Heat right now IMO.

asdf1990
01-03-2011, 09:51 AM
I've said before.... Its not only LeBron and a couple role players left. Its a lot of things, no confidence is one of them. Don't say the cupcake schedule thing either. They beat Boston, they beat Memphis and they were competitive at the beginning. Now, they are not competitive a lot of the time. That Miami game took it out of them. No doubt, it is their own fault they can't get it back, they have the fan support. Another thing I said before, entirely new coaching system than what they are used to. Andy and Boobie never played NBA ball any other way than LeBron offense and San Antonio defense. So yeah, we can make excuses but nothing is going to happen this year. I would really like to get rid of Mo and Jamison. Actually, the entire team next year can go other than Boobie and Andy.
So what u r saying is that not only wad lebron a great player but he was also a great leader? When lebron was there the team never lacked confidence, they were always ready after big losses.

jebron-i
01-03-2011, 10:21 AM
lebron is the real factor, cleavland is nothing without him

sundizz
01-03-2011, 10:34 AM
Why wouldn't this happen? Of course they should drop off ridiculously. Their team was centered around using Lebron as a one man wrecking crew. He basically was their entire offense. He was similar to how Shaq would be used or any other supremely gifted and efficient scorer (i.e Timmy D, KG, etc). Most of these teams generally just had ONE amazing superstar and if/when they leave of course the team should be terrible without them.

However, the Cavs team was designed to take advantage of all of Lebron's skills...ie put shooters around him and let him dominate. How are shooters all of a sudden going to become different style players. If you had players that are 'equivalently' good players but played a different style, they would flourish now given the opportunity. An example is someone like Raymond Felton. If he was on the Cavs he would be flourishing now and the team would be better than with Mo Williams at the helm. However, with Lebron on a team Raymond Felton < Mo Williams. It's arguable sure...but when you have a one man wrecking crew you try to find complementary pieces, or an All-Star. They tried to do both, get players that are shooters/good defenders. Their only flaw was with the All-Star they selected, he is truly just a number guy and is basically a how the hell type All Star player.

It seems ludicrous that people are pointing to Lebron on a pedestal because Cleveland is sucking. If anything, Miami winning is much more of a testament to his abilities. You can't take the main guy of any team and expect them to do good. Especially, when that main guy is one that is an all around player. Can you imagine taking Kobe off that Lakers team that was 7th that one year (the year they lost to the Suns). Hahah, that team would have Lamar Odom as their best player, Smush Parker, Luke Walton...lol. That team may not even have a chance against the D-league All Stars (i.e Warriors of last year).

PurpleChuck
01-03-2011, 10:36 AM
lebron is the real factor, cleavland is nothing without him
Word.

oh the horror
01-03-2011, 10:39 AM
Pretty much just Lebron... Delonte barely played last year, Byron Scott > Mike Brown, and Shaq/Z are replaced with Varejao/Powe which is isnt much of a dropoff since Varejao is actually a great defender and Powe can actually move.

You cant just discount two centers like Z/Shaq as non-existant though, just because it doesnt seem to be a "big drop off" from other players on Cleveland. The fact is, you have two 7 footers, who arent there anymore, and that DOES have an impact on team ball. The Cavs flat out play differently now. You can even see Big Z having a positive effect on Miami right now...His size alone bothers people.

jebron-i
01-03-2011, 11:09 AM
they have a shot at it, but i dontt hink they will be that bad towards the end

Simple Jack
01-03-2011, 11:40 AM
Why wouldn't this happen? Of course they should drop off ridiculously. Their team was centered around using Lebron as a one man wrecking crew. He basically was their entire offense. He was similar to how Shaq would be used or any other supremely gifted and efficient scorer (i.e Timmy D, KG, etc). Most of these teams generally just had ONE amazing superstar and if/when they leave of course the team should be terrible without them.

However, the Cavs team was designed to take advantage of all of Lebron's skills...ie put shooters around him and let him dominate. How are shooters all of a sudden going to become different style players. If you had players that are 'equivalently' good players but played a different style, they would flourish now given the opportunity. An example is someone like Raymond Felton. If he was on the Cavs he would be flourishing now and the team would be better than with Mo Williams at the helm. However, with Lebron on a team Raymond Felton < Mo Williams. It's arguable sure...but when you have a one man wrecking crew you try to find complementary pieces, or an All-Star. They tried to do both, get players that are shooters/good defenders. Their only flaw was with the All-Star they selected, he is truly just a number guy and is basically a how the hell type All Star player.

It seems ludicrous that people are pointing to Lebron on a pedestal because Cleveland is sucking. If anything, Miami winning is much more of a testament to his abilities. You can't take the main guy of any team and expect them to do good. Especially, when that main guy is one that is an all around player. Can you imagine taking Kobe off that Lakers team that was 7th that one year (the year they lost to the Suns). Hahah, that team would have Lamar Odom as their best player, Smush Parker, Luke Walton...lol. That team may not even have a chance against the D-league All Stars (i.e Warriors of last year).

The issue is talent. The Lakers team is laughable, as you mentioned, because Lamar was the 2nd best player. Conversely, the Cavaliers have Mo Williams as their 2nd best player at the moment.

Consider anyone else being on a team with an equivalent level of talent; even IF the team was "built" around them which still needs to be proven at this point; but let's say that were true, what other player do you see winning 66 and 61 with that level of talent? That's the point you seem to be missing despite suggesting it's validity when mentioning the 05-06 Lakers.

NBASTATMAN
01-03-2011, 12:19 PM

They replaced Delonte with Sessions, z with hollins and shaq didn't play in their 66 win season... They also acquired Jamison last year and he is at least as good as Delonte.. So pretty much a verry similar team.. Except for Mike Brown... Maybe Coach Brown deserves some props..:rockon:

NBASTATMAN
01-03-2011, 12:23 PM
You cant just discount two centers like Z/Shaq as non-existant though, just because it doesnt seem to be a "big drop off" from other players on Cleveland. The fact is, you have two 7 footers, who arent there anymore, and that DOES have an impact on team ball. The Cavs flat out play differently now. You can even see Big Z having a positive effect on Miami right now...His size alone bothers people.

I do agree that he has a positve effect.. But how much and how much less would it be if Lebron wasn't getting all those open shots for him?

The only other guys that could have been close to what Lebron did are magic and Bird... Maybe MJ.. But I don't think any of them take that team to 66 wins ...

Sakkreth
01-03-2011, 12:30 PM
[/B]

I do agree that he has a positve effect.. But how much and how much less would it be if Lebron wasn't getting all those open shots for him?

The only other guys that could have been close to what Lebron did are magic and Bird... Maybe MJ.. But I don't think any of them take that team to 66 wins ...

It's Z who defended Gasol, It's Z who's defense is underrated, It's Z who gets offensive boards. And then there is LeBron who gets Z into position of shooting, but then there is Z again whos incredible good at midrange shoting. Yes he has defensive missmatch against quick athletic bigs like Amare though.

VIP2000
01-03-2011, 01:24 PM
The Cavs weren't that bad at the start of the season but ever since the first Heat/Cavs game, their hearts and souls have been taken out of them.

I think they've only won one game in the last month and a half.

ginobli2311
01-03-2011, 03:24 PM
It's Z who defended Gasol, It's Z who's defense is underrated, It's Z who gets offensive boards. And then there is LeBron who gets Z into position of shooting, but then there is Z again whos incredible good at midrange shoting. Yes he has defensive missmatch against quick athletic bigs like Amare though.

yea. z was big for them. but he also missed 22 games i think for the cavs last year and they really didn't miss a beat.

the three most important players on those cavs teams were mo/lebron/andy. you could pretty much surround them with anything and they are going to challenge for 60 plus wins. they fit very well together. its a real shame the cavs front office sucked so hard that they couldn't get that missing piece.

would have been a dynasty with a legit 2nd option. how crazy is that? cavs could have moved wally's contract and some pieces for a 2nd option back in 09 and would probably be working on a 3 peat right now.

oh how that has to suck for cavs fans.

IN-PAX-WE-TRUST
01-03-2011, 03:49 PM

Shaq was terrible. West is a decent back up PG. It's all Lebron. Z also was hurt for a big chunk of the year. They would still win 60 games with Lebron playing this season. One guy is responsible for 40 wins.

Lebron23
01-04-2011, 12:26 AM
Dan Gilbert is rolling in his grave.

cavsfanatic
01-04-2011, 03:41 AM
We ain't winning 20 games man. We gone win bout 15-18. They were 7-9 at one point now they 8-27 smfh

IN-PAX-WE-TRUST
01-10-2011, 04:45 AM
Cavs are on pace to have the biggest drop in winnning % by a wide margin after another loss tonight. What a disaster.

dallaslonghorn
01-10-2011, 05:13 AM

Tremendous losses. All of them.

Scal
01-10-2011, 07:03 AM
Currently they are on pace for 18, and they will be lucky to hit that with Varejao out for the season - even in a poor Central Division.

IN-PAX-WE-TRUST
01-11-2011, 10:15 PM
It just shows how amazingly good Lebron is at basketball.

sixer6ad
01-11-2011, 10:21 PM

People use the :roll: when they can't respond correctly.

Lost our starting and backup center. Lost our second best playoff performer in the playoffs the last two years. Lost our best player in franchise history. Have a brand new offensive and defensive scheme.

Lebron loss big? Absolutely...it's huge. It's the single biggest factor. However, do yourself a common sense favor and re-post that losing other core players and a very established defensive system has made an impact as well. Just copy and paste what I wrote so that you get your credibility back. Plus, you won't have to rely on :roll: :rockon: :rolleyes: or whatever you choose to speak your words for you.

Walduś
01-11-2011, 10:26 PM
It just shows how amazingly good Lebron is at basketball.
it's obvious that the cavs are tanking the season.

Kblaze8855
01-11-2011, 10:27 PM
With Lebron on that team you could replace anyone they lost by randomly selecting names from a hat and win 52-65 wins depending on who you get. Nobody but him even deserves a mention far as what they lost. They lost Lebron and 100% totally interchangeable parts. Guy took a team as bad as or worse than they have now to the finals when he was a good bit worse than he is now.

Lebron is one of the few people you can honestly say is the difference between worst team in the league...and a contender. He just is. The rest of those guys they lost...were he still there? Nobody would give a damn. Anderson is the only major loss going forward and they are on an 18-20 win pace with him so...not like he was doing anything that mattered.

IN-PAX-WE-TRUST
01-12-2011, 12:32 AM
Cavaliers look like a college team against the Lakers.

RJChPD
01-12-2011, 01:02 AM
With Lebron on that team you could replace anyone they lost by randomly selecting names from a hat and win 52-65 wins depending on who you get. Nobody but him even deserves a mention far as what they lost. They lost Lebron and 100% totally interchangeable parts. Guy took a team as bad as or worse than they have now to the finals when he was a good bit worse than he is now.

Lebron is one of the few people you can honestly say is the difference between worst team in the league...and a contender. He just is. The rest of those guys they lost...were he still there? Nobody would give a damn. Anderson is the only major loss going forward and they are on an 18-20 win pace with him so...not like he was doing anything that mattered.

Very good post as usual.

IN-PAX-WE-TRUST
01-12-2011, 01:26 AM
Cavs are losing by 50 against the Lakers!

Alonzo Magic
01-12-2011, 02:02 AM

Sasha Pavlovic was playing 35 minutes a night in that 07 finals.

IN-PAX-WE-TRUST
01-12-2011, 02:52 AM
Yeah. Lebron carried a 20 win team to the NBA finals. That 2007 team was god awful. That still is one of the most amazing feats in NBA history ( even though they didn't win the title)

d.bball.guy
01-12-2011, 02:54 AM
I think it's safe to say YES
:D

50inchvertical
01-12-2011, 02:56 AM
Sasha Pavlovic was playing 35 minutes a night in that 07 finals.
And Eric Snow was starting.

And Donyell Marshall was on that team. :oldlol:

branslowski
01-12-2011, 02:59 AM
Cavs went from 45 wins to 66 wins by only adding Mo Willaims and getting more games and minutes out of Varejoe....LeBron avg about the same numbers in both these years...

IN-PAX-WE-TRUST
01-12-2011, 03:40 AM
Cavs went from 45 wins to 66 wins by only adding Mo Willaims and getting more games and minutes out of Varejoe....LeBron avg about the same numbers in both these years...

lol... if you think Mo Williams and Varajo added 20 wins then you're crazy. How is Mo Williams working out this year? The guy is slightly better than a random D league player. Lebron was that entire team. Lets be honest.

boozehound
01-12-2011, 03:50 AM
lol... if you think Mo Williams and Varajo added 20 wins then you're crazy. How is Mo Williams working out this year? The guy is slightly better than a random D league player. Lebron was that entire team. Lets be honest.
I think his point was slightly more nuanced than that. I think his point was that comparing win totals across seasons and attributing it solely to a few additions or subtractions is rather silly. Clearly losing lebron accounts for something like 40 wins, but to act like there hasnt been a major shift in the entire team (esp the lose of West imo) and the coaching staff is ignorant.

If you want to use this year (when its over) to tally up the record difference from last year and attribute it all to james, than you cant really reject him doing the same thing with av and mo (even if its clearly a silly argument). Winning is about much more than just plug and play.

Simple Jack
01-12-2011, 05:31 AM
I think his point was slightly more nuanced than that. I think his point was that comparing win totals across seasons and attributing it solely to a few additions or subtractions is rather silly. Clearly losing lebron accounts for something like 40 wins, but to act like there hasnt been a major shift in the entire team (esp the lose of West imo) and the coaching staff is ignorant.

If you want to use this year (when its over) to tally up the record difference from last year and attribute it all to james, than you cant really reject him doing the same thing with av and mo (even if its clearly a silly argument). Winning is about much more than just plug and play.

Again, the thing supporting the former argument and rejecting the latter is that the Cavaliers were still elite minus some of the players you mentioned. They lost 1 game I believe last year without Mo in the lineup, including a win over the Lakers. Without LeBron, they looked awful.

Rico2016
02-05-2019, 01:30 PM
Cavs are going to win 20-25 games this season. Last year they won 60+. They could see a drop off of 40 wins this season. What's the biggest drop in wins from one season to the next in NBA history?

Yes, they will.