PDA

View Full Version : Phil: """We get behind early in the 3rd quarter, and then Kobe has to go and screw up

DuMa
01-03-2011, 02:59 AM
zen like comments, phil.

Dwade305
01-03-2011, 03:01 AM
Zen trying to create the illusion there is tension, or is he being real as a $2 bill?:confusedshrug:

snipes12
trade kobe for laundry fields , do it lakers or you are screwed

OldSchoolBBall
zen like comments, phil.

lol What did he say? What's the full quote?

Walduś
01-03-2011, 03:04 AM
didn't watch the game. was kobe in chucker mode? :oldlol:

emsteez forreal
01-03-2011, 03:05 AM
video? link?

gts
01-03-2011, 03:06 AM
zen like comments, phil.link? thanks in advance

NbaFan432
01-03-2011, 03:06 AM
video? link?
Came on Sports Center

TrueRob
01-03-2011, 03:08 AM
didn't watch the game. was kobe in chucker mode? :oldlol:

They kept feeding Kobe because no one else had anything going.

AirTupac
01-03-2011, 03:09 AM
Kobe on the game - http://www.nba.com/lakers/video/2011/01/03/110102grizzlieskobebryant-1512212/index.html

Post game comments with Phil are also found there.

JohnWall2
01-03-2011, 03:12 AM
:lol

gts
01-03-2011, 03:17 AM
lol What did he say? What's the full quote?i googled the quote and it only came up on a celtics message board with no link there either.. so who know's could be real but since none of the LA beat writers or other outlets are posting it i doubt it was said or was quoted without the proper context

Knoe Itawl
01-03-2011, 03:18 AM
Watching on NBA Gametime:

Phil ".....poor transition defense and then Kobe has to go and screw up the game and start energizing the team by going one on one takes the rest of the guys out........"

What a hater.

ashbelly
01-03-2011, 03:21 AM
:oldlol: :oldlol: :oldlol: :oldlol: :oldlol:

Mr. Jabbar
01-03-2011, 03:22 AM
i googled the quote and it only came up on a celtics message board with no link there either.. so who know's could be real but since none of the LA beat writers or other outlets are posting it i doubt it was said or was quoted without the proper context

watch from 2:20 mark onwards http://www.nba.com/lakers/video/2011/01/03/110102grizzlieskobebryant-1512212/index.html
phil jackson post game interviw is on a video down in that link, for some reason if you try to link it, it goes to the kobe bryant interview

TrueRob
01-03-2011, 03:23 AM
I wonder why Phil doesn't just bench Kobe when he does the one-on-one thing. That's what Doc Rivers did to Pierce a couple of seasons ago and now Pierce doesn't do that anymore.

tpols
01-03-2011, 03:28 AM
Although kobe chopped the lead down singlehandedly in the third, it ended up doing more harm than good because his teammates had no flow or rythym to them after it.

Kobe has to realize that he cant go iso in the middle of the game for more than two possesions in a row. The other guys have to play and get in a rythym too or they will lose every game.

Kurosawa0
01-03-2011, 03:31 AM
Phil looked stressed. Don't think I've seen that since the Leon Powe came in 2008. :lol

Seriously, this team is very close to being in panic mode when this kind of thing is happening.

CMsam
I've been saying this for a while now, that none of the other Lakers (sans artest) think as highly of kobe as his internet fanboys do.

Seriously, his own coach consistently calls him out for selfish chucking. Gasol and Fisher drop hints about it in interviews as well. Shaq couldnt even stay on the same team as him. Do people not forget that Phil ripped him in a book a while back???

Kobe is really lucky he plays on an organization that has a history of assembling such great TEAMS, so that his internet fanboys can give him all the credit for winning five rings. If this dude played just about anywhere else he'd be Tracy McGrady.

crisoner
Funny how some people only appear on this board when a certain player maybe struggling. I think we all should KNOE who that is.

Mr. Jabbar
01-03-2011, 03:43 AM
Funny how some people only appear on this board when a certain player maybe struggling. I think we all should KNOE who that is.

Dont worry, things get calmed and settled in June, it has always been that way :lol

Svendiggity
01-03-2011, 03:44 AM
It's kind of funny that we are on a basketball forum, and the most hated player on these boards is someone who's entire life is basketball. Kobe loves basketball too much to continue to not involve his teammates. He will take it to heart and correct it, and prove you haters wrong, just like he always does.

Kurosawa0
01-03-2011, 03:46 AM
Dont worry, things get calmed and settled in June, it has always been that way :lol

The last time I remember seeing the Lakers struggle like this in a contending year was in 2004. How did that turn out?

ashbelly
01-03-2011, 03:52 AM
It's kind of funny that we are on a basketball forum, and the most hated player on these boards is someone who's entire life is basketball. Kobe loves basketball too much to continue to not involve his teammates. He will take it to heart and correct it, and prove you haters wrong, just like he always does.

:oldlol: :oldlol: A 15 year old veteran shouldn't have to be reminded of what he needs to be doing on the Court by his coach. This should be automatic for him. whatever happened to Ball IQ ??.. Ya'll keep treating Kobe like he just joined the league yesterday. :oldlol:

Svendiggity
01-03-2011, 03:54 AM
:oldlol: :oldlol: A 15 year old veteran shouldn't have to be reminded of what he needs to be doing on the Court by his coach. This should be automatic for him. Ball IQ ??

Tell me who your favorite veteran player is and I could name countless mistakes he made this year too. It happens. You're just a hater.

Hulk Hogan
01-03-2011, 03:55 AM
Mind you the Lakers was down by 8 or 10 after the first half and Kobe only had 6 FG attempts. Then he turned it up a notch in the 3rd quarter and brought the lakers close to 2 but things snowballed from there because of their lack of defense.

ashbelly
01-03-2011, 03:57 AM
Tell me who your favorite veteran player is and I could name countless mistakes he made this year too. It happens. You're just a hater.

Jordan was my favorite player..

gloriawest
01-03-2011, 03:58 AM
I've been saying this for a while now, that none of the other Lakers (sans artest) think as highly of kobe as his internet fanboys do.

Seriously, his own coach consistently calls him out for selfish chucking. Gasol and Fisher drop hints about it in interviews as well. Shaq couldnt even stay on the same team as him. Do people not forget that Phil ripped him in a book a while back???

Kobe is really lucky he plays on an organization that has a history of assembling such great TEAMS, so that his internet fanboys can give him all the credit for winning five rings. If this dude played just about anywhere else he'd be Tracy McGrady.

Yep so kobe can do the following things, 81 pnt game, 9 consecutive 3's in a game (nba record), most 3's in a game with overtime (nba record), some of the biggest scoring streaks in bball history,

yet when it comes to his rings he was just lucky enough to be on a great team, oh lawwwd some people

also people this is the regular season, it happens every year, THe fighting champion that is kobe comes to surface, you can't have everything, something has got to give, lucky for him he knows to straighten it out, can't be perfect all the time

crosso√er
01-03-2011, 04:00 AM
Mind you the Lakers was down by 8 or 10 after the first half and Kobe only had 6 FG attempts. Then he turned it up a notch in the 3rd quarter and brought the lakers close to 2 but things snowballed from there because of their lack of defense.

Lakers play defense only when the entire team is assertive and shares the ball. Kobe can't do it on his own, especially at his age, so Phil is completely right. But it's not just Kobe, I haven't seen much passion from Pau at all. It is just as much his responsibility to gear up this team on both ends of the floor, and he hasn't done so on a consistent basis as of late.

For us to have any shot at winning another championship; both of these guys must be on the same page and all the other players will feed off their energy. This has not happened as of late; the NOH game showed glimpses of them sharing the ball and playing enthusiastic basketball, and then we have this game tonight. Even against Philadelphia they sucked, but luckily closed out with a win.

catch24
01-03-2011, 04:37 AM
That third quarter was basically Kobe vs 5 on offense. Like I said in the game thread, it was cool to see, but he missed more than half his shots, and LA was STILL down by double digits. Needless to say his teammates couldn't get into a rhythm and pretty much took a nap on the other side of the ball.

Nero Tulip
01-03-2011, 04:47 AM
I don't understand Jackson sometimes. He's let Kobe do this pretty much his whole career. I'm sure he told him this many times before but as far as I know it's the first time he does this with the media. Why do this now? What's different?

knightfall88
01-03-2011, 04:49 AM
people who didn't watch the game shouldn't have an opinion on what phil said.

Lakers were not giving the effort early in the game and they got behind. Kobe took it upon himself to reenergise the team by scoring himself. He got the game close again in that 3rd quarter BUT after that the Lakers were out of their flow and still would not step up and they lost it.

Kobe 8 B
01-03-2011, 04:51 AM
Just watched Phil talking about Kobe about him screwing it up and how he has to energize the team by going 1 on 1.

As I said in the other topic. That ball needs to go to Gasol in the post and everyone needs to work off of him. Same with Bynum.

The rest of his team aren't doing anything when Kobe just wants to do stupid shit and they probably think, "Go ahead, do you what you want, I'll just do nothing."

knightfall88
01-03-2011, 05:09 AM
Just watched Phil talking about Kobe about him screwing it up and how he has to energize the team by going 1 on 1.

As I said in the other topic. That ball needs to go to Gasol in the post and everyone needs to work off of him. Same with Bynum.

The rest of his team aren't doing anything when Kobe just wants to do stupid shit and they probably think, "Go ahead, do you what you want, I'll just do nothing."

Yes but that is what happened. After Kobe had his 1on1 stint in the 3rd. They tried to feed it to Gasol but nothing was coming out of it since he was out of it.

ashbelly
01-03-2011, 05:20 AM
Lakers play defense only when the entire team is assertive and shares the ball. Kobe can't do it on his own, especially at his age, so Phil is completely right. But it's not just Kobe, I haven't seen much passion from Pau at all. It is just as much his responsibility to gear up this team on both ends of the floor, and he hasn't done so on a consistent basis as of late.

For us to have any shot at winning another championship; both of these guys must be on the same page and all the other players will feed off their energy. This has nhttp://insidehoops.com/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=5287624ot happened as of late; the NOH game showed glimpses of them sharing the ball and playing enthusiastic basketball, and then we have this game tonight. Even against Philadelphia they sucked, but luckily closed out with a win.

it's guys like you who don't understand the game that make it hard for others to do..
Reporter: How do you turn this around ?
YOU:: Kobe has scored 81 points before, let him do his thing :oldlol:
Phil jackson:: we have to focus, we didn't use our strength's which is our inside players, Pau gets 9 shots throughout the entire game, we didn't use that focus that we had to begin the game, pau got what? 6 out of our 8 points to begin the game, he didnt score again in the half, 1st half. ended up the game with 10, he had 4 more points in the 2nd half, he's too good of a player for a game like that,as a result we get behind on game like that on some stupid plays,poor passing,poor transition defense,and kobe has to score up the game and start energizing the team by going 1 on 1 and that takes everybody out of the game as a result that didnt bring us back in , it was a little run but it did bring us back in the game but we couldn't sustain it..

It's obvious phil knows that Gasol and Bynum(gasol especially) has to get more touches than what he's getting at the moment, and his plays are more important than what everybody else brings to the team. :oldlol:. It's so easy to beat the lakers, limit gasol touches and you have them in the ropes, unless old man kobe is on for the night, but if you have a good defense to stop/slow him down, it's over for the lakers. :oldlol:

ginobli2311
01-03-2011, 05:48 AM
nobody is saying kobe isn't an amazing player. he is. nobody is saying kobe isn't one of the best ever. he clearly is.

but the complete abandonment of team offense and play is what prevents him from being in the truly elite class for me. i don't think this game is necessarily a great example, but the phil comments have probably been building for a while now and i totally agree with them.

kobe' stans always point to rings when stuff like this comes out. what about the rings? this isn't about rings. kobe's teams have been so damn good that he's had the luxury to play the wrong way and derail his team....yet still win titles. its about playing the right way and his impact on the game. too often kobe's ego and 1 on 5 mentality have come through and ****ed up chances for titles. we have gotten weird kobe way too often. he often does the exact opposite of what he should. often times to prove a point...often times because his ego wont' let him back down from any challenge no matter how tough it is.

but here is the thing that stans don't want to hear:

kobe isn't good enough to carry a team to a title playing the way jordan did. or the way duncan did. or hakeem did. he can't do it. he's not efficient enough. he's not dominant enough. kobe needs his teammates to perform at higher levels than those guys. and there is really no shame in that. it doesn't even really mean those guys are better. what makes them better is that kobe has still never figured it out. 15 years in and he hasn't found that optimal middle ground. no doubt he's improved, but a big part of him still wants that glory. no doubt he wants the win, but kobe wants it his way...and often times "his way" doesn't lead to winning.

i don't know why kobe has to go into "kobe mode" at the first sign of trouble. why? his teammates have proven themselves over and over again the last 4 years. kobe quickly turns on them in games. but i never see fisher or gasol or odom freeze kobe out of the offense for stretches. why? because they know they won't win that way. throughout kobe's entire career you've heard teammates make comments about "not playing team ball"....sometimes very openly solely about kobe.

so as a basketball fan its just annoying. its annoying because my team and favorite player has never had this help. we've never had the greatest coach ever and an uber stacked team like kobe has had in all but 3 of his years in the league.

throughout the game all stans were saying "god....kobe is the only one that played well tonight"....which is partially true, but then you look up and notice kobe went iso like 5 times in a row and look up and see him taking 7 threes and only making one. making 10 of 22 shots (a worse percentage than the rest of his team combined)

if kobe is really all about winning. why does play outside the offense so often when history shows that his teams have a horrid winning percentage when he goes into kobe mode.

i just don't get it.

sbw19
01-03-2011, 06:00 AM
I agree. I didn't like Kobe taking 22 shots, but that's more of an effect than a cause. The Lakers real problem is they're dysfunctional defensively. That has to be addressed more than any tendencies Kobe has to go 1-on-5 when his team is struggling.

blablabla
01-03-2011, 06:23 AM
At least Kobe showed up in the 3rd quarter so the other guys had to focus on defense, because they were doing nothing on Offense. They can't just say yeah i'm doing nothing now because Kobe doesn't give me the ball. Kobe has the talent to go 1 on 5 on Offense but he needs his teammates. So when he is hot give him the ball, if Pau is hot they should give it to him....

LEFT4DEAD
01-03-2011, 06:29 AM
I wouldn't be so sure, and you shouldn't be to. You will be more dissapointed. 2nd round, book it.
And that was a damn good post ginobili!

KelticForce1349
01-03-2011, 07:43 AM

Wow. You are delusional. Sad times...:(

Lebron23
01-03-2011, 07:55 AM

You should follow your own advice.

Clutch
01-03-2011, 08:11 AM
Kobe always tries to go too much 1 on 5.
But let's face it.
Lakers would still lost it.
Kobe didn't do anything in the first half,they were losing.

Kobe at least tried to change things because he wants to win,maybe he did try too much but you can't blame Kobe for that loss.

Lakers are playing bad collectively.

knightfall88
01-03-2011, 08:29 AM
some of you need to listen to PJ's interview and not just this quote out of context.

He clearly says this bad performance first came from Pau not taking enough shots and thats part of his responsibility. He then follows by saying that the Lakers started too many turnovers, gave up too many transition points, not playing defense and consequently that led to being behind in the 3rd quarter and then Kobe screws it up even further by panicking.

Phil never meant to say they lost because of Kobe which is what everyone is saying. Phil meant that Kobe made is worst after the Lakers were playing poorly for 3 quarters of the game.

If Phil didn't want Kobe doing what he was doing in the 4th, he would of stopped him. But at that point, you had to go all in since they were getting blowned out and Kobe screwed it.

The front court wasn't effective tonight. When you have Odom and Gasol it was working offensively but defensively just weren't making stops. But bynum, does a good job defensively but Gasol just isn't being active enough offensively by himself. Alot of the front court issues come from the Perimeter play which has been awful. Artest and Fisher are not getting it done on both ends.

indiefan24
01-03-2011, 09:01 AM

i just don't get it.

haha WOW!

It would be one thing if you stayed consistent in your criticisms, but IIRC, you were giving Kobe *hit for not going "Kobe Mode" against the Suns in 2006. Which is it you want him to do? Defer or take over? Or is it whenever the Lakers lose, Kobe should have done the opposite of what he did?

I just don't get it. :facepalm

Snicklefritz
01-03-2011, 09:11 AM
After the Heat entered panic mode they came out winning what, 19 out of 20? As a Heat fan, I hope the Laker's don't recoup in the same manner we did :roll:

ginobli2311
01-03-2011, 09:12 AM
haha WOW!

It would be one thing if you stayed consistent in your criticisms, but IIRC, you were giving Kobe *hit for not going "Kobe Mode" against the Suns in 2006. Which is it you want him to do? Defer or take over? Or is it whenever the Lakers lose, Kobe should have done the opposite of what he did?

are you seriously trying to compare the two teams?

LOL

you don't get it because you are too blind to see the truth. i'm not even talking really about last night.

kobe has never learned how to play with his team optimally. in 2006 he deferred when he should have imposed his will and been aggressive. now he's done the opposite lately when he needs to trust his teammates and play within the offense.

please don't compare a weak ass 2006 team to the most stacked team in the league with two good bigs.

and again. i don't care what any player does as long as they do it well. and sorry....a 44% shooter that takes this many shots on a great team just doesn't make sense. kobe shot under 50% again last night. if you want to dominate the ball and take a ton of bad shots....you at least have to make more than your teammates when you are on a good team.

whatever. as usual kobe's teammates are thrown under the bus even though they shot better than him (as usual) in the game last night combined.

but i'm not going to debate with someone that can't see or understand the differences between the 06 lakers and the current lakers.
:facepalm

#1SportsFan86
01-03-2011, 09:19 AM
I wonder why Phil didn't say anything about Artest no show....:wtf:

ginobli2311
01-03-2011, 09:31 AM
haha WOW!

and again. i don't blame kobe at all for last night. he played the best out of anyone on the lakers.

i'm talking about the pattern of him quickly turning on his teammates for no reason early in some games. it makes no sense and its clearly frustrating the lakers. and its even more frustrating when kobe often shoots around 42% in these losses and takes far too many shots.

i and any fan of the game want the lakers to simply play the right way and use their advantage down low to win. you have to force feed bynum and gasol against a team like the grizzlies. odom/bynum/gasol would have overwhelmed them most likely and given kobe more energy to play solid defense and then take over down the stretch.

you make it sound like i hate the lakers. not true. i actually want them to win the west. i have a huge bet on it. i actually want them to win the title. i have a huge bet on it.

and force feeding bynum/gasol against a team like the grizzlies would get them into foul trouble and open up 3 pointers and cutting lanes for the lakers. but they literally ran no offense the entire game. is that kobe's fault solely? of course not, but he's not setting a good example at all.

VishaltotheG
01-03-2011, 09:53 AM

Why would they do that when they can get Keith BOGANS?!?!

asdf1990
01-03-2011, 09:56 AM
Why would they do that when they can get Keith BOGANS?!?!

Is it a Coincidence that the lakers won rings when adam Morrison was there and suck after he left?

bl2k8
01-03-2011, 10:05 AM

LOL

you don't get it because you are too blind to see the truth. i'm not even talking really about last night.

kobe has never learned how to play with his team optimally. in 2006 he deferred when he should have imposed his will and been aggressive. now he's done the opposite lately when he needs to trust his teammates and play within the offense.

please don't compare a weak ass 2006 team to the most stacked team in the league with two good bigs.

and again. i don't care what any player does as long as they do it well. and sorry....a 44% shooter that takes this many shots on a great team just doesn't make sense. kobe shot under 50% again last night. if you want to dominate the ball and take a ton of bad shots....you at least have to make more than your teammates when you are on a good team.

whatever. as usual kobe's teammates are thrown under the bus even though they shot better than him (as usual) in the game last night combined.

but i'm not going to debate with someone that can't see or understand the differences between the 06 lakers and the current lakers.
Kobe defering gave the lakers a 3-1 lead in 06 WTF are you talking about. And you expect a guy why hold him shooting under 50% against him

ginobli2311
01-03-2011, 10:13 AM
Kobe defering gave the lakers a 3-1 lead in 06 WTF are you talking about. And you expect a guy why hold him shooting under 50% against him

he and i were talking about game 7 in 06. we have a long debate about that.

i'm done debating this. if you think kobe trying to carry this team is their best chance to win...so be it. good luck in the playoffs is all i have to say if you think kobe ball is going to win the title.

PowerGlove
01-03-2011, 10:43 AM

Kobe stans/Laker fans:

Step one, accuse posters of hate
Step two, deflect blame

:applause: Such a proven formula.:bowdown:

PistonsFan#21
01-03-2011, 10:44 AM
Kobe can't take criticisim so i excpect him to be pissed and only take like 10-13 shots next game

asdf1990
01-03-2011, 10:58 AM
Kobe can't take criticisim so i excpect him to be pissed and only take like 37-100 shots next game and miss 90 percent of them.
Fixed. .

foutz
01-03-2011, 11:01 AM
kobi is of hero he is not of screw game

oh the horror
01-03-2011, 11:02 AM
This can never be a rational discussion around here. People talk shit about "homers" and "stans" or whatever the hell....yet there are some members here who I have NEVER EVER seen a positive word about Kobe come from these guys....Kobe could save infants from a burning building, and they would still spin it in a negative light.....so the "homers" are one thing, but there are some whackos on the direct opposite side of that fan spectrum as well.

indiefan24
01-03-2011, 11:19 AM
and again. i don't blame kobe at all for last night. he played the best out of anyone on the lakers.

i'm talking about the pattern of him quickly turning on his teammates for no reason early in some games. it makes no sense and its clearly frustrating the lakers. and its even more frustrating when kobe often shoots around 42% in these losses and takes far too many shots.

i and any fan of the game want the lakers to simply play the right way and use their advantage down low to win. you have to force feed bynum and gasol against a team like the grizzlies. odom/bynum/gasol would have overwhelmed them most likely and given kobe more energy to play solid defense and then take over down the stretch.

you make it sound like i hate the lakers. not true. i actually want them to win the west. i have a huge bet on it. i actually want them to win the title. i have a huge bet on it.

and force feeding bynum/gasol against a team like the grizzlies would get them into foul trouble and open up 3 pointers and cutting lanes for the lakers. but they literally ran no offense the entire game. is that kobe's fault solely? of course not, but he's not setting a good example at all.

i'm not saying kobe hasn't shot the lakers out of a win, b/c he's done it many times before, but keeping it to last night's game, he did what was necessary to try to get them back in it.

the lakers were already down by 9 come halftime with the team playing the offense. kobe's spree cut that down to two before the grizzlies made another run. what makes you think they would have been able to even do that if kobe did not start shooting? there's obviously something wrong with gasol and it's not b/c he's not getting the ball enough.

EMERE
01-03-2011, 11:26 AM
This can never be a rational discussion around here. People talk shit about "homers" and "stans" or whatever the hell....yet there are some members here who I have NEVER EVER seen a positive word about Kobe come from these guys....Kobe could save infants from a burning building, and they would still spin it in a negative light.....so the "homers" are one thing, but there are some whackos on the direct opposite side of that fan spectrum as well. I don't really care about what negativity Kobe receives anymore from this board, and its always the same people huh..... I didn't know Knoe was still around:eek: People turn bitter in this board, Ex:Knoe. I don't really know why people are arguing right know, come Playoff time we will see if they still talk shit.

kingkong
01-03-2011, 11:31 AM
Kobe was fine, he brought them back into the game in the 3rd quarter

he did take too many 3s though

just look at the playbyplay http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/playbyplay?gameId=310102013&period=3

at 3:45 they're down 66-60

Kobe gets taken out at 1:45 and took (and missed) 2 shots. The team only scores 3 baskets until Kobe gets put back in at 8:27 with the Lakers down 89-68

im sure people are going to say "oh Kobe took 22 shots and Pau only took 9 and that's why they lose" but you gotta dig deeper

Lebron23
01-03-2011, 11:57 AM
Kobe Bryant had a good game last night. Blame the Lakers lack of defense and effort in their last few games.

PurpleChuck
01-03-2011, 11:58 AM
Kobe Bryant had a good game last night. Blame the Lakers lack of defense and effort in their last few games.

Whole team lacked effort. Kobe definitely tried, but the offense was solely through him.:facepalm

Pointguard
01-03-2011, 12:25 PM
Kobe's game and thought processes seem to be a step slow this year. As Immortal Bum put it, it could be his hunger that is lacking... something is off and it doesn't seem to be age that is the culprit. He's done this thing before (unbalance the team flow) but he seems unconcerned about the team concept as of late? Weird, but it can cost them homecourt.

There might be something in Kobe that is fighting the reality that he has to be a facilitator to a big man again.

DTD
01-03-2011, 12:40 PM
I'm laughing at the same usual suspects who proceeded to get over-excited over a quote that possibly may show Kobe in a negative light. They run to the board to post heir non-sense, without even realizing that the full context of the quote is actually in support of Kobe. Comprehension takes a back seat to the excited stalkers.

If you actually listen to the interview, you will comprehend that Phil was implying that Kobe had to start going one on one to try and energize the team because of their inadequate play. This screwed up the game, because even though he brought the Lakers within 2 points, it was fool's gold of false hope Kobe might of given to the rest of the team.

Go listen to the interview, then wipe the pre-ejaculated egg off your faces.

tpols
01-03-2011, 12:43 PM
This can never be a rational discussion around here. People talk shit about "homers" and "stans" or whatever the hell....yet there are some members here who I have NEVER EVER seen a positive word about Kobe come from these guys....Kobe could save infants from a burning building, and they would still spin it in a negative light.....so the "homers" are one thing, but there are some whackos on the direct opposite side of that fan spectrum as well.
Pretty much spot on gino...

Dude says kobe cant carry teams by himself right now like duncan and hakeem did and there are many flaws in that argument. First, he's past his prime so obviously he's not carrying anything by himself. Secondly, duncan and hakeem are the only two players in the HISTORY of the game to win with truely weak supporting casts. Michael Jordan never won anything until he had a great TEAM built around him so clearly MJ ball didn't work either. And he's the GOAT.

You aren't ever going to be able to win with a perimeter player doing all of the work and all of the carrying. It has NEVER happened. Michael couldn't do it. Lebron couldn't do it. Kobe couldn't do it. Gino had to compare him to hakeem and duncan, two dominant big men, because he couldn't make a fair comparison among players who play on the perimeter like he does. Haters always find a way to spin things and put them in a negative light. I could make this same exact argument for jordan since he never won without a ton of help.

Hulk Hogan
01-03-2011, 12:56 PM
I'm laughing at the same usual suspects who proceeded to get over-excited over a quote that possibly may show Kobe in a negative light. They run to the board to post heir non-sense, without even realizing that the full context of the quote is actually in support of Kobe. Comprehension takes a back seat to the excited stalkers.

If you actually listen to the interview, you will comprehend that Phil was implying that Kobe had to start going one on one to try and energize the team because of their inadequate play. This screwed up the game, because even though he brought the Lakers within 2 points, it was fool's gold of false hope Kobe might of given to the rest of the team.

This.

ashbelly
01-03-2011, 12:57 PM
After the Heat entered panic mode they came out winning what, 19 out of 20? As a Heat fan, I hope the Laker's don't recoup in the same manner we did :roll:

They had a team meeting after losing to the spurs, what happened, they almost lost to the Sixers on the next game and got blew out by the Grizzlies. They have deeper issues. :oldlol:

Knoe Itawl
01-03-2011, 01:08 PM
You know, these comments will be dismissed as frustration by apologists, and the result of this game only. Now, I agree that of course coaches say things in frustration that they don't mean and all of that. However, we've all seen other players play games where they were inefficient and probably trying to force too much. But I've never seen a coach say something that stinging about the likes of Lebron, Wade, etc. no matter how bad a game they may have had. Those are pretty stinging words towards a superstar on the level that Bryant is. Never heard a coach say a superstar/legend type player with 10+ years in the league "screwed things up".

Which leads me to wonder if they're not an insight into how Phil feels about Kobe overall, and not just irritation about the circumstances of this particular game. Obviously Kobe has had many games where his shot selection and play were questionable, so I can't believe Phil hasn't had similar sentiments plenty of times before. I wouldn't be surprised if Phil wasn't really as fond of Bryant's play as one may think. Yes, he respects him as a great, and all of that but this is the same coach that called him "uncoachable" before. Granted, he did return to the Lakers (of course, he is banging the owner's daugther). I think Phil probably thinks of Kobe as a great, but flawed and very frustrating player. Something I doubt he felt about players like Jordan, Shaq, Pip.............

SoCalMike
01-03-2011, 01:09 PM
*if* that quote is true from Pjax, it is absolutely correct. i have been complaining about kobe (and other team members) not playing within the system for most of the season. they are taking too many long shots, too many iso's and not leveraging their length which gives them a competitive advantage.... its a team issue... way too many "short cuts" in the name of laziness. and there are trust issues that need to be worked out and will be worked out.

the Lakers are just bored and it shows on the court. it is infuriating to watch them play right now, and i have been maintaining that it will get worse before it gets better.

*however*

don't anyone kid themselves... this team will be there come playoff time and they will not be bored then... and for the rest of the league, including the spurs and heat, this spells trouble. they are very seasoned and know when to turn it on and come together as a team.

if getting a title was easy, everyone would have a ring, right? its meant to be difficult and that is what makes it so special.

lakers are going for their fourth finals appearance in four years, only done by two teams in nba history!!!!! i cut them some slack given how many games they have played over that period.

:pimp:

ginobli2311
01-03-2011, 03:40 PM
Pretty much spot on gino...

Dude says kobe cant carry teams by himself right now like duncan and hakeem did and there are many flaws in that argument. First, he's past his prime so obviously he's not carrying anything by himself. Secondly, duncan and hakeem are the only two players in the HISTORY of the game to win with truely weak supporting casts. Michael Jordan never won anything until he had a great TEAM built around him so clearly MJ ball didn't work either. And he's the GOAT.

You aren't ever going to be able to win with a perimeter player doing all of the work and all of the carrying. It has NEVER happened. Michael couldn't do it. Lebron couldn't do it. Kobe couldn't do it. Gino had to compare him to hakeem and duncan, two dominant big men, because he couldn't make a fair comparison among players who play on the perimeter like he does. Haters always find a way to spin things and put them in a negative light. I could make this same exact argument for jordan since he never won without a ton of help.

lol.

if you actually read my post it wasn't hating on kobe for not being able to do it. i said he simply couldn't do that now or ever in his career. which you obviously agree with.

the difference is that kobe thinks he can win games far too often playing alone out there. and jordan could do it and he did do it. notice the difference in scoring efficiency and points per game and defensive dominance for jordan. LOL....not even comparable to kobe.

but this isn't about that. its about a guy that far too often says "**** my teammates" early on in 2nd halfs that the lakers are struggling a bit. and i actually love that drive and will that kobe has.....but he's simply not dominant enough or good enough to consistently provide that night in night out and win.

thats just a fact...especially at this stage of his career.

i've said plenty of great things about kobe. actually stick up for him a lot on here. like last night. if you saw me in the game thread i was defending kobe because he was giving the best "effort" out of any laker and was at least trying.

he played a great game the other day that i praised him for. i praised him for a fantastic game 6 in the finals last year.

thats the problem with kobe stans. you can't just call a spade a spade. the simple fact remains that the lakers aren't an elite team without an elite gasol. if gasol is not balling....the lakers aren't that great. they are still good of course because of kobe and odom and a great team, but they just aren't that dominant team with gasol.

and part of the reason gasol is struggling is because the ball is sticking way too often. gasol needs a flow to play. he cuts and moves the ball so well in rhythm. he and odom and bynum play a beautiful high low game in the paint.

and why is the ball sticking so much? a big reason is kobe and his attitude is rubbing off on some guys. brown has become more selfish lately. fisher has become more selfish lately. and its frustrating the hell out of gasol and now bynum. you can see it on their faces.

like i said before. do i blame only kobe? of course not....certainly not last night. my take on this has nothing to do with the game last night really...all to do with the comments made by bynum and phil.

so you can twist my words all you want. thats cool if it makes you feel better. but you are just butt hurt because you know kobe can't now nor has he ever been consistently dominant enough on both ends to win without uber elite help. and you can say jordan didn't either or whatever other bs you want to spew but the proof is in the pudding. jordan wasn't winning 5 or more titles playing like ass in the finals. jordan wasn't winning tough series shooting sub 40%.

and again. i'm responding to the stans that say "kobe doesn't care about stats...he just cares about the win"

then why the **** does he have a history of shot jacking his team out of games all the time. why has he done this shit in big moments and playoff series so often? history shows clearly that the more kobe shoots the less his teams wins. so why do it if you are all about the win?

bdreason
01-03-2011, 03:44 PM
Kobe wasn't the reason the Lakers lost last night.

He started chucking in the 3rd because Gasol was getting bullied by his brother, Lamar was getting bullied by Randolph, and Bynum is as slow as a turtle. Artest is just terrible, and the only other guy looking for shots was Steve fukcing Blake. :oldlol:

Honestly, I'm not one to defend Kobe for his chucking... but he isn't the reason this team is losing games lately.

Nets fan 93
01-03-2011, 03:46 PM
Really? Then why did the location in which Bryant played matter before he was drafted?

LA_Showtime
01-03-2011, 03:46 PM
And so it begins. :oldlol: At least the Kobe-Phil relationship is finally in the public spotlight; people will realize it's BS.

LA_Showtime
01-03-2011, 03:52 PM

LOL

Why are you complaining about Kobe's shot selection in the Lakers-Suns series? He was an explosive scorer in the regular season; we all saw how that turned out, an 8th seed and not much progress. In the playoffs he started facilitating and that helped the Lakers overachieve. The only argument you have is that he mailed in game 7.

ginobli2311
01-03-2011, 03:59 PM
Why are you complaining about Kobe's shot selection in the Lakers-Suns series? He was an explosive scorer in the regular season; we all saw how that turned out, an 8th seed and not much progress. In the playoffs he started facilitating and that helped the Lakers overachieve. The only argument you have is that he mailed in game 7.

and guess what.

we were solely talking about the game 7 in that series. so i guess you'd agree with me then right?

look. nobody can revise history. kobe has had a bad pattern of doing inexplicable things on the court at the wrong times. more so than any star player i've seen since i started closely following the nba in the early 80s.

i'm not even hating on him for it. i know why he does it. he loves the challenge. he hears someone in the media say that "the lakers need to play through pau" and he wants to show him and everyone he can win his way.

that confidence and fearlessness is something to be respected. and i do respect it. but kobe hasn't found a way to fully harness that. he's been a detriment to his teams throughout this career far too often for how great a player he is.

my point with the game 7 in 06 was simply about it being a retarded time to start playing mind games with your team. you don't come out in the 2nd half and say to yourself "well...they wanted me to defer....so i'm not going to do shit"

and kobe has pulled shit like that a lot. its just glossed over because he's had so much success. and that really is fine. i'm just explaining why i don't love him as a fan and why i think he falls short from the uber elite all time.

you don't have to agree with it.

Ne 1
01-03-2011, 04:02 PM
Other things Phil Jackson has said:

"Kobe is the best all around player that I have ever coached"

Rojogaqu11
01-03-2011, 04:35 PM
Way to misunderstand what Phil said about Kobe.

DTD got it right.

andgar923
01-03-2011, 04:52 PM
It's obvious some people have never played basketball.

At the very least, played basketball with a hotdogging selfish chucker.

Because if they did, they'd understand that whenever you play with somebody like that, you give up.

Passing the ball and sharing it is contagious, and it's no coincidence that it energizes the team as it gets everybody involved. You become more attentive, you become more willing, you give more effort etc.etc. its just how it works.

I've played in thousands of games in my life, and this has always been the case. I don't think there's any difference in the NBA, and we can clearly see this on the box scores. Whenever the ball is shared and it's moving, teams play better. Whenever a player dominates the ball too much, any flow and productivity suffers.

This isn't anything new with Kobe.

It hasn't been the first time, and it won't be the last time.

Which is why some of us still say that he still doesn't get 'it'. And he never will.

Allstar24
01-03-2011, 05:01 PM

LMAO...well said.

I do think Kobe should have tried to get his teammates involved in that 3rd quarter. He was on fire but once he started passing the ball and eventually went to the bench, the team looked completely out of it. Everyone deserves to share the blame for this loss and move on.

Walduś
01-03-2011, 05:02 PM
jordan fanboy calling another player a selfish chucker. lol :applause: :bowdown:

andgar923
01-03-2011, 05:06 PM
jordan fanboy calling another player a selfish chucker. lol :applause: :bowdown:

Do you even know the definition of a 'chucker?'

NoGunzJustSkillz
01-03-2011, 05:12 PM
Jordan was my favorite player..
At least you admit to being a d!ck rider :cheers:

Walduś
01-03-2011, 05:15 PM
Do you even know the definition of a 'chucker?'
oh am sorry i forgot that jordan was so good that he could've taken 40 shots per game and it wouldn't be considered chucking because he had such a great shot selection, and it's not selfish either because he would make around 50% of them. GOAT :bowdown:

andgar923
01-03-2011, 05:25 PM
oh am sorry i forgot that jordan was so good that he could've taken 40 shots per game and it wouldn't be considered chucking because he had such a great shot selection, and it's not selfish either because he would make around 50% of them. GOAT :bowdown:

Well if he shot 40 shots per game (which he didn't) and he did shoot them at 50%, it wouldn't be considered chucking now would it?

And it wouldn't be selfish if that was the game plan.

Kinda like feeding the ball to the bigs is the Lakers' game plan.

And you're also correct in terms of the definition of a chucker.

A chucker is somebody that forces shots, or takes shots when he shouldn't on a consistent basis. Also, being selfish doesn't necessarily mean shooting the ball. A selfish player can be selfish in many different ways. Such as in not passing the ball to prove a point, or putting individual accolades over the team's main goal.

branslowski
01-03-2011, 05:31 PM

this.

Another funny thing is that we have morons in this thread who cant even comprehend ehat Phil was saying because their hate is clogging their brain cells. Holyshit this forum will never change untill Kobe retires. With hopefully 7rings and 4 finals Mvps:D