PDA

View Full Version : Dumbest things you've heard from people about Basketball?

sosolid4u09
01-04-2011, 10:53 AM
Whats the dumbest thing you've ever heard from someone about Basketball?

Hittin_Shots
01-04-2011, 10:56 AM

:)

ginobli2311
01-04-2011, 10:58 AM
blake griffin is better than dirk

Dwade305
01-04-2011, 10:58 AM

Nash-tastic
01-04-2011, 10:59 AM
This. And Manu Ginobili is the 2nd best SG behind Jordan. But only a little.

Hittin_Shots
01-04-2011, 10:59 AM

Trend Settin

Mr Clutch Melo
01-04-2011, 11:00 AM
Kobe is better than Jordan.

sosolid4u09

+1

alenleomessi
You sure as hell havent heard much dumb things than ;)

HAL9000
01-04-2011, 11:02 AM
Soccer is better than basketball, soccer is more interesting and entertaining to watch than basketball, there is no difference in competition level between the NBA and Europe and so on and so on. All day long.

Clutch
01-04-2011, 11:06 AM
Soccer is better than basketball, soccer is more interesting and entertaining to watch than basketball, there is no difference in competition level between the NBA and Europe and so on and so on. All day long.

You are reading my mind :lol

Dwade305
01-04-2011, 11:07 AM
;)

Done_And_Done
01-04-2011, 11:17 AM
"Its not about the money"

Psileas
01-04-2011, 11:21 AM
The stupidest things are the ones told by basketball haters, especially people who have never watched any sport other than soccer in their lives. Here, in Europe, more than once, I'd heard some stupid and unwitty things about basketball made by hardcore soccer fans. 2 of them:

1) Who deals with the ball with the freckles? It's all about soccer.
2) Whatever is done with your hands is m@sturb@tion.

After a while of course, I answered these equally (un)witty things to a couple of people who mentioned this crap:

1) You're right. It's much more urgent to deal with the ball with melanomas.
2) I guess you had some good ejaculation after finishing typing this (I guess with your hands).

PurpleChuck
01-04-2011, 11:30 AM
Anything these ppl sprout out:

joyner82/YouCallILose
ashbelly
KG5MVP
TheMiz
Hulk_Hogan
Bladers
griffmoney
TheLogo
blondie

Bigsmoke
01-04-2011, 11:32 AM
one of my homeboys said the Mike Bibby is a better player than Steve Nash.

asdf1990
01-04-2011, 11:39 AM
That they would start a team with Durant over lebron. Joyner once said Durant wold average 36 ppg on 50/40/90 per 40.

jbryan1984
01-04-2011, 11:40 AM
That the Cavs would make the 2011 playoffs. I said that one. Big :facepalm for me but you gotta have some kind of hope for the home team.

JMT
01-04-2011, 11:41 AM
78% of the posts on ISH.

imlmf
01-04-2011, 11:43 AM
manu being anything greater than a good nba player

i don't even know if that's funny or dumb, well i guess when you say something incredibly dumb it comes across as funny

Nero Tulip
01-04-2011, 11:49 AM
"The stupidest thing was when someone criticised my favourite player or compared him to someone I dislike".

I could say "Eric Montross was better than Shaq in his prime" and it wouldn't be as stupid as most of the posts here.

People talking out of their asses with absolute certainty when they have no idea of what they're talking about. People calling you stupid for having a different opinion. People answering with insults or "u mad" pics when they run out of arguments... these are the real stupid posts.

Mr. I'm So Rad
01-04-2011, 12:09 PM
That they would start a team with Durant over lebron. Joyner once said Durant wold average 36 ppg on 50/40/90 per 40.

lol that's a good one

KareemCambell
01-04-2011, 12:16 PM
college basketball is better because there aren't any ballhogs like in the "negro tatoo league"- random redneck in at the postoffice :facepalm:

jasonresno
01-04-2011, 12:18 PM
That getting to the line is the most important part of an offensive players game.

I'm Seriously
01-04-2011, 12:21 PM
"Nash only hits open shots"

PurpleChuck
01-04-2011, 12:22 PM
That getting to the line is the most important part of an offensive players game.

Haha that's what idiots say to downplay/criticize D Rose.

PurpleChuck
01-04-2011, 12:23 PM
"Nash only hits open shots"
I remember that, from TheMiz, rookie troll of the year.

Irish
01-04-2011, 12:46 PM
The NBA is the most popular league in the world. :facepalm

In the UK the average Joe will only know about five basketball players,

Jordan
Bird
Shaq
Big Chinese giant guy (Yao)
Kobe (more among the younger people)
and possibly Magic

LeBron and Wade, not a hope.
Durant the US media guy, dont make me laugh.

trabash
01-04-2011, 12:50 PM
78% of the posts on ISH.
More like 81%.

SilkyJohnson
01-04-2011, 12:52 PM
The NBA is the most popular league in the world. :facepalm

In the UK the average Joe will only know about five basketball players,

Jordan
Bird
Shaq
Big Chinese giant guy (Yao)
Kobe (more among the younger people)
and possibly Magic

LeBron and Wade, not a hope.
Durant the US media guy, dont make me laugh.

I think five is asking too much. Here in UK, you'll be surprised if someone knows who Michael Jordan is. :roll:

wally_world
01-04-2011, 01:05 PM
You need to be tall to play basketball

coin24
01-04-2011, 01:06 PM
Noah is a better "fit" than Melo, and generally any stupid claims from bulls fans...

Manu the 2nd best SG

Team A shot more free throws than Team B = Must be rigged!:banghead:
(My biggest hate, morons that read a box score and jump to conclusions:facepalm )

Cavs winning a ring before Lebron does:lol

Also anyone on here claiming the Lakers are done.:banghead: This shit happens every year. Do you have bad memories or are you just plain retarded???:confusedshrug: :confusedshrug: :confusedshrug:

Mr. I'm So Rad
01-04-2011, 01:07 PM
That all black guys are good at it

BlackWhiteGreen
01-04-2011, 01:31 PM
I think five is asking too much. Here in UK, you'll be surprised if someone knows who Michael Jordan is. :roll:

Being just about the only person I know who actually knows what the NBA is (you know, the Nationwide Basketball Society (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf1D40jLdyo)), it gets pretty annoying. Closer friends of mine can name Jordan (I've got a poster of the FT line dunk), Shaq (not sure why to be fair), KG and Rondo (the 2 jerseys I own). Occasionally my flatmates pick up other names (normally when I'm yelling "f*ck you Kobe/Wade/Lebron/etc" at 3am when they hit some impossible shot) but the average person worldwide probably can't even name Jordan.

I can see why soccer fans don't like basketball, because it's a very different sport. However, that's one of the main reasons I love both basketball and football; with one being a high-scoring game and the other low scoring, you can transfer skills between them (making the extra pass and valuing every possession in basketball, to the importance of a strong defence in basketball).

In answer to the question, it would have to be the absolute overrating of some players, probably Ginobili is the worst for that.

SpecialQue
01-04-2011, 01:36 PM
The stupidest things are the ones told by basketball haters, especially people who have never watched any sport other than soccer in their lives. Here, in Europe, more than once, I'd heard some stupid and unwitty things about basketball made by hardcore soccer fans. 2 of them:

1) Who deals with the ball with the freckles? It's all about soccer.
2) Whatever is done with your hands is m@sturb@tion.

After a while of course, I answered these equally (un)witty things to a couple of people who mentioned this crap:

1) You're right. It's much more urgent to deal with the ball with melanomas.
2) I guess you had some good ejaculation after finishing typing this (I guess with your hands).

You're kidding. This is actually a thing? Soccer fans really talk $hit about basketball? I've watched several soccer games and it's like watching flies f*ck. I understand that this boring-ass sport has millions upon millions of fans worldwide, but aside from team importance over individual players, I'd like to know how soccer is "better" than basketball.

BlackWhiteGreen
01-04-2011, 01:41 PM
You're kidding. This is actually a thing? Soccer fans really talk $hit about basketball? I've watched several soccer games and it's like watching flies f*ck. I understand that this boring-ass sport has millions upon millions of fans worldwide, but aside from team importance over individual players, I'd like to know how soccer is "better" than basketball.

It's all about taste. Soccer has the appeal of those who want a more physical game, but not the brute force that Rugby or American Football has. Soccer still has beautiful plays, and amazing feats of skill. Many people are brought up with soccer and therefore appreciate it's subtleties, whereas a sport such as basketball can be seen by some as one which teams score on too often (especially those who are used to soccer). It's rare you find people who enjoy both; I would be one of those few.

LBJ 23
01-04-2011, 01:46 PM
That Howard is better than Lebron because he would win 1on1.....

SilkyJohnson
01-04-2011, 02:00 PM
I can see why soccer fans don't like basketball, because it's a very different sport. However, that's one of the main reasons I love both basketball and football; with one being a high-scoring game and the other low scoring, you can transfer skills between them (making the extra pass and valuing every possession in basketball, to the importance of a strong defence in basketball).

I think football fans who try to watch basketball and give up after a few games are put off by the constant time outs and interruptions to play. It was in my case and it took me around a year to get past these issues :oldlol:

I disagree about one game being high scoring, though. Both sports have low and high scoring qualities. For example, you can't say the vast majority of games in La Liga and Bundesliga, two of the top four league's in Europe, are renowned for low scoring defensive football? Conversely, you can't say NBA teams like the the Bucks and Bobcats are ambassadors of high quality attacking basketball that produce high scoring games.

BarberSchool
01-04-2011, 02:02 PM
The following statement may have been true, if the indivuidual was referring to Stern and the Owners, but he instead was referring to the players themselves:

"The NBA is just one giant criminal enterprise."

Funnyfuka
01-04-2011, 02:02 PM
you ve got to be tall and black to play it .

oh, wait..

ATL_Bball_King
01-04-2011, 02:10 PM
Quote:

Me: "Bruh you really look like greg oden.."

Male Friend Age 21: "Who is greg oden....Oh you must mean Greg Owens.."

Greg owens is an Australian soccer player...Also white my friend is black...

Disaprine
01-04-2011, 02:11 PM

joyner82/YouCallILose
ashbelly
KG5MVP
TheMiz
Hulk_Hogan
Bladers
griffmoney
TheLogo
blondie
asdf1990
knowitall

added 2 more

BlackWhiteGreen
01-04-2011, 02:15 PM
I think football fans who try to watch basketball and give up after a few games are put off by the constant time outs and interruptions to play. It was in my case and it took me around a year to get past these issues :oldlol:

I disagree about one game being high scoring, though. Both sports have low and high scoring qualities. For example, you can't say the vast majority of games in La Liga and Bundesliga, two of the top four league's in Europe, are renowned for low scoring defensive football? Conversely, you can't say NBA teams like the the Bucks and Bobcats are ambassadors of high quality attacking basketball that produce high scoring games.

Oh, I just meant in general, NBA teams score at a higher pace per minute or whatever.

VishaltotheG
01-04-2011, 02:15 PM
Cavs would meet the Mavs in the 2010 finals :facepalm

I said that

SilkyJohnson
01-04-2011, 02:22 PM
Oh, I just meant in general, NBA teams score at a higher pace per minute or whatever.

Yup, that'll happen when you're comparing the scoring rate per minute (or whatever) between football and basketball.

:roll:

BlackWhiteGreen
01-04-2011, 02:27 PM
Yup, that'll happen when you're comparing the scoring rate per minute (or whatever) between football and basketball.

Well, thats what I was doing :confusedshrug: comparing football and basketball.

Disaprine
01-04-2011, 02:29 PM
PER is a good way to see a players efficiency.

Hittin_Shots
01-04-2011, 02:30 PM

joyner82/YouCallILose
ashbelly
KG5MVP
TheMiz
Hulk_Hogan
Bladers
griffmoney
TheLogo
blondie

How does one get on this list?

Mr. Jabbar
01-04-2011, 02:33 PM
"we da bess"
"manu mvp"
"LA/kobe are done"

Mr. I'm So Rad
01-04-2011, 02:39 PM
Rondo can't hit mid range jumpers
Boston is too old to win
Kobe is/was carried to championships
LeBron worships the devil
Michael Beasley quit smoking weed

chips93
01-04-2011, 03:06 PM
joyner82/YouCallILose

he's one of the smartest posters, stats wise. his stuff makes a lot of sense, but hes also clearly a durant troll

Stuckey
01-04-2011, 03:12 PM
Orlando and Dallas can win the championship

EvanW
01-04-2011, 03:20 PM
I live in Central Ohio and I rarely run into people who are big-time basketball fans like I am.

Thing about Ohio is that it's football country. Ohio is to football what Indiana and North Carolina are to basketball, essentially. There are browns, bengals and buckeye (football) flags all over the place. I don't mind it, because I like football as well. But basketball will always be my favorite.

Anyway this always leads to hearing football fans make boneheaded comparisons to basketball in relevance to how football is played, like: "It isn't physical enough, all those guys do is flop all over the place and cry when they don't get a foul call."

or: "It isn't a team game, nobody plays for the team; they play for themself and their bloated contract."

Or, of course, you hear the occasional remark resembling something like this: "I hate the NBA, it's full of thugs."

Translation: "I hate the NBA, it's full of nigs."

I'm not even black but when I hear some douche say that about basketball...:banghead:

chips93
01-04-2011, 03:20 PM
Rondo can't hit mid range jumpers

from 10-15 feet rondo shoots only 28.6%, the average for pg is 39%, hes well below average, and most of those shots are wide open, he gets more room to shoot those than any other pg

kobe sagged way off him during the finals for all seven games and rondo never made him pay

although from 15-23 feet, hes an above average shooter for a point guard

Force
01-04-2011, 03:23 PM
A friend told me that John Stockton would be a regular joe, an average point guard in todays game. He was talking about how athletic todays PG's were..but ummm, today is all pick n rolls which Stockton was a master at, and Stockton could shoot the ball unlike many of today's dominating PG's like Rondo, Westbrook. Todays rules make it easy for PG's, no handcheck, clear lanes to the hoop. We argued for a bit and he later admitted that players like Isaiah and KJ would absolutely tear it up in todays game. lol, this guy plays ball too.

He is a big Kobe fan and also argued that Jordan's accomplishments are overrated because the best player he ever played against was GRANT HILL. LOL

Clutch
01-04-2011, 03:25 PM

I am from country in which 95% of the sport fans watch soccer and it's their favorite sport.

Soccer is absolutely number 1 sport in my country.
Basketball,handball,waterpolo and ice hockey battle for the 2nd place.

Mr. I'm So Rad
01-04-2011, 03:25 PM
from 10-15 feet rondo shoots only 28.6%, the average for pg is 39%, hes well below average, and most of those shots are wide open, he gets more room to shoot those than any other pg

kobe sagged way off him during the finals for all seven games and rondo never made him pay

although from 15-23 feet, hes an above average shooter for a point guard

It isn't that he can't shoot them as much as he doesn't take a lot of jumpers. Especially now he looks to pass first and only shoot when teams give him too much space. Most of his shot attempts are layups. And Kobe did sag off of him too much in the Finals you can't do that and allow a guy to get a full head of steam going to the basket or give him space to operate and run the offense but you are right Rondo didn't make him pay

KingLeBronJames
01-04-2011, 03:39 PM
"Kobe can't lead a team to a NBA Championship."

Mr. I'm So Rad
01-04-2011, 03:41 PM
"Kobe can't lead a team to a NBA Championship."

This was one of the biggest. Along with "His team carries him." or "Pau has been the real MVP of those back to back titles"

LilBTheBasedGod
01-04-2011, 03:43 PM
More like 81%.

I see what you did there.

creepingdeath
01-04-2011, 03:46 PM
"we da bess"
"manu mvp"
"LA/kobe are done"
Aren't you in any way offended that he kept you off the list? :lol

crisoner
01-04-2011, 03:50 PM
"We da Bess"

Followed up by "Championship Cruise"

/Thread

Mr. Jabbar
01-04-2011, 03:52 PM
Aren't you in any way offended that he kept you off the list? :lol

Of course not, that list includes people that speak nonesense, why would I be there?

creepingdeath
01-04-2011, 03:52 PM
Of course not, that list includes people that speak nonesense, why would I be there?
Just sayin'. :pimp:

BlackWhiteGreen
01-04-2011, 03:55 PM
This was one of the biggest. Along with "His team carries him." or "Pau has been the real MVP of those back to back titles"

I don't think Pau gets enough credit for what he did vs Dwight in 09 and vs Garnett last year. He was at least worthy of consideration for FMVP imo, not the stupidest thing said about basketball.

Stuckey
01-04-2011, 04:01 PM
in 2006 june

my friend said "i dont think dirk is going to guard shaq" :facepalm

bdreason
01-04-2011, 04:02 PM
How about that Wilt ******ger who doesn't even have Kareem in his top 10.

Mr. I'm So Rad
01-04-2011, 04:03 PM
I don't think Pau gets enough credit for what he did vs Dwight in 09 and vs Garnett last year. He was at least worthy of consideration for FMVP imo, not the stupidest thing said about basketball.

Not the stupidest but when people start going down the "Kobe just rides his coattails" road is when it gets ridiculous. I mean Kobe can average 25/6/5 while playing with Shaq and still be called a sidekick and not be worthy of a FMVP so why not Pau?

PowerGlove
01-04-2011, 04:22 PM
"We da Bess"

Followed up by "Championship Cruise"

/Thread

Those are overused, but not dumb. I thought they were funny at first. Plus the season isnt over yet, what if they win it all?

Done_And_Done
01-04-2011, 04:36 PM
I always found it to be ignorant & somewhat comical when people say "The first 3 quarters of a basketball game don't mean anything"

The progression of a game plays out like an art form...

alenleomessi
01-04-2011, 04:49 PM
Dumbest is probably the ones saying Kobe is better than MJ

There are not a lot, but still there are like 5-10% of Kobe fans

LA_Showtime
01-04-2011, 05:30 PM
"College basketball is more entertaining to watch than the NBA; they don't even try in the pro leagues."

I hate when people say this shit. I can't stand college basketball. Everyone sucks. :oldlol:

Walduś
01-04-2011, 05:31 PM
saying lakers won't 3peat

Mr. I'm So Rad
01-04-2011, 05:33 PM
"College basketball is more entertaining to watch than the NBA; they don't even try in the pro leagues."

I hate when people say this shit. I can't stand college basketball. Everyone sucks. :oldlol:

This, I seriously cannot sit and watch a college game every game is either a blowout or a super low score. I'd rather watch the D-League in wheelchairs

L.A. Jazz
01-04-2011, 05:33 PM
OJ Mayo is a 6''4 mamba

Mr. I'm So Rad
01-04-2011, 05:35 PM
OJ Mayo is a 6''4 mamba

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

He isn't even a 6'4'' Starting Guard

Doranku
01-04-2011, 05:35 PM
LeBron = GOAT. :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm

Mr. I'm So Rad
01-04-2011, 05:38 PM
LeBron = GOAT. :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm

This one is classic:lol

HAL9000
01-05-2011, 04:34 AM
It's all about taste. Soccer has the appeal of those who want a more physical game, but not the brute force that Rugby or American Football has. Soccer still has beautiful plays, and amazing feats of skill. Many people are brought up with soccer and therefore appreciate it's subtleties, whereas a sport such as basketball can be seen by some as one which teams score on too often (especially those who are used to soccer). It's rare you find people who enjoy both; I would be one of those few.

Physical game? Are You kidding me? Soccer a physical game? Maybe it used to be, but not any more. Diving is killing this sport. There's no physical game involved in soccer, well, maybe except those few times when Roy Keane or Materazzi broke some bones or permanently injured someone.
Now all I see is Cristiano diving yet again, crying, covering his face in pain like somebody torched him up with a flamethrower :wtf:
I used to love soccer and watch so, so much of it, but soccer is dead to me now. It's not a sport, it's a bunch of ******* and sissies running around, trying to convince everybody they're worth the bazillions they're paying them. In the past when Roberto Carlos got the ball on a free kick You knew he's gonna pound the goalkeeper along with the net far into the stands with some crazy spin-ball. Now, when the grossly overpaid star gets to the ball and everyone is on their heels, waiting for Greatness to happen, most of the time it's one big disappointment. It's 90 minutes of boredom and bad acting. Actually, "watching flies ****" is a really good expression to sum it up.
And the skinhead hooligans don't help either.

AirTupac
01-05-2011, 04:42 AM
Physical game? Are You kidding me? Soccer a physical game? Maybe it used to be, but not any more. Diving is killing this sport. There's no physical game involved in soccer, well, maybe except those few times when Roy Keane or Materazzi broke some bones or permanently injured someone.
Now all I see is Cristiano diving yet again, crying, covering his face in pain like somebody torched him up with a flamethrower :wtf:
I used to love soccer and watch so, so much of it, but soccer is dead to me now. It's not a sport, it's a bunch of ******* and sissies running around, trying to convince everybody they're worth the bazillions they're paying them. In the past when Roberto Carlos got the ball on a free kick You knew he's gonna pound the goalkeeper along with the net far into the stands with some crazy spin-ball. Now, when the grossly overpaid star gets to the ball and everyone is on their heels, waiting for Greatness to happen, most of the time it's one big disappointment. It's 90 minutes of boredom and bad acting. Actually, "watching flies ****" is a really good expression to sum it up.
And the skinhead hooligans don't help either.

I don't even know where to begin but... :facepalm

AirTupac
01-05-2011, 04:44 AM
Some off the top of my head :

Kobe is better than Michael Jordan
Basketball is a puss sport
Basketball is for weak people

kentatm
01-05-2011, 04:45 AM
95% of what LakasFanYo wrote is up there for me

Lebron23
01-05-2011, 07:00 AM
Keith Brumbaugh will be better than Michael Beasley.

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=91820

arifgokcen
01-05-2011, 07:18 AM
I have read every dumb thing written but i think by far this is the dumbest thing.This is from NBA Fan Voice.

"Kobe Bryant is a winner. That's pretty obvious. Kobe has more Rings than most every player in the league today....but what about entire NBA teams??

When you add up the amount of Rings every player has on each NBA team most couldn't add up to 5 Rings

Example: Chicago Bulls only have 1 player with a Ring so Kobe has 4 more Rings than the entire Bulls team

Kobe has 5 Rings which is more than these teams have on their entire roster-

Heat

Blazers

Nets

Knicks

Sixers

Raptors

Bulls

Cavs

Pacers

Bucks

Hawks

Bobcats

Magic

Wizards

Warriors

Clippers

Suns

Kings

Mavericks

Rockets

Grizzles

Hornets

Wolves

Thunder

Jazz

Wow! That is AMAZING! Kobe has more Rings as an individual than those teams have on their individual rosters COMBINED!

KOBE > NBA"

Harison
01-05-2011, 07:21 AM
The stupidest things are the ones told by basketball haters, especially people who have never watched any sport other than soccer in their lives.
Funny thing, you are guilty yourself of what you blame soccer fans :oldlol:

There is no reason to bash any sport, different people like different things. One like swimming, another chess, and yet another figure skating. And btw, soccer is far more popular sport than basketball throughout the World. NBA isnt even the most popular in USA, the home of the basketball.

ctu130
01-05-2011, 07:22 AM
Evan Turner for ROY -.-

LilEddyCurry
01-05-2011, 07:36 AM
Not 1.. but 2... but 3... but 4, 5, 6, 7 championships :lol

Harison
01-05-2011, 08:06 AM
Not 1.. but 2... but 3... but 4, 5, 6, 7 championships :lol
:oldlol:

A lot of things Lebron said are up there, thats what happens to not the brightest guy on the 24/7 spotlight.

More famous quotes:

"I've won at every level, except college and pro."
-Shaquille O'Neal, on his lack of championships.

"I thought LeBron James was just going to be another addition to help me score,"
- Ricky Davis

"We're going to turn this team around 360 degrees."
-Jason Kidd

"Are you any relation to your brother Marv?"
-Basketball player Leon Wood to announcer Steve Albert

"Unstoppable, baby!"
-Warrior rookie Marc Jackson to the Mavericks' bench, after hitting a lay-up during a 29-point loss.

"My career was sputtering until I did a 360 and got headed in the right direction."
- Tracy McGrady, after signing with the Orlando Magic

"No comment."
-Michael Jordan, after being asked for his response to making the All-Interview Team.

"Well, he's a good player for Minnesota."
- Gary Payton, when asked what he thought about Serbia.

"I am a rookie, so if I hit the rookie wall, I don't really know."
- Yao Ming, asked if he had hit the rookie wall

JerrySteakhouse
01-05-2011, 08:17 AM
:roll::roll:

JerrySteakhouse
01-05-2011, 08:18 AM
Some off the top of my head :

Kobe is better than Michael Jordan
Basketball is a puss sport
Basketball is for weak people

A lot of young guys haven't even watched Jordan. So I wouldn't be surprised on that one. Kobe is this generations 'Jordan'.

CeltsGarlic
01-05-2011, 08:18 AM
Dwayne Wade has great vertical :lol

ILLsmak
01-05-2011, 08:29 AM
In terms of something a basketball fan would understand, there are many things. Basically misconceptions about how good a player is or how good a team is. Or what matters and what doesn't in the game.

But overall, I think the most ignorant thing is just saying basketball is not something that an intelligent person can appreciate. Like all sports fans are idiots.

Sports are like any other game in that they require intelligence and mental toughness to compete... but they also require physicality and that's the only thing that separates them from something like chess. That and the fact that real life has more variables than a board game.

-Smak

JohnnySic
01-05-2011, 08:36 AM
"basketball is just dunks and 3-pointers"

Fron NFL/MLB fans who only know the NBA via ESPN highlights

Psileas
01-05-2011, 08:42 AM
Funny thing, you are guilty yourself of what you blame soccer fans :oldlol:

There is no reason to bash any sport, different people like different things. One like swimming, another chess, and yet another figure skating. And btw, soccer is far more popular sport than basketball throughout the World. NBA isnt even the most popular in USA, the home of the basketball.

I don't hear fans of other sports in Europe bashing basketball. It's always soccer fans. Listen to some European bash basketball and you can bet he's either a soccer fanatic or he just hates sports in general.
And yes, it's true I don't like soccer, but I only express this when others start first, bashing basketball.

Soccer may be more popular, but basketball's popularity has been rising all the time, especially after the invasion of the NBA in China. And it may not be the #1 sport in the US, but it's in a completely different league compared to soccer.

chains5000
01-05-2011, 08:45 AM
I don't hear fans of other sports in Europe bashing basketball. It's always soccer fans.
Thing is, almost everybody here is a soccer fan, even when liking other sports too.
It's like saying "I only hear that from Utah fans who are white"...
(An exaggeration but you get what I mean)

ILLsmak
01-05-2011, 09:21 AM
Thing is, almost everybody here is a soccer fan, even when liking other sports too.
It's like saying "I only hear that from Utah fans who are white"...
(An exaggeration but you get what I mean)

It doesn't take a genius to tell that basketball requires more coordination than soccer. The only difference is that because the hoop is 10 feet high and a goal is set on the ground that such things as athleticism and height come into play.

People generally bash what threatens them.

I could see someone telling me that I have a poor attention span, but I don't think that's why I think soccer is inferior. I do hate that the ball gets stuck in areas a lot in soccer.

Soccer is a game that anybody can play; basketball is the same except sooner or later you're gonna have to be a certain height. I know this because I am short and realized that after high school I wasn't going to be able to compete at the higher levels of bball, or even if I did I'd always be limited and have to deal with a huge disadvantage and play a certain role.

I think that is the reason people enjoy soccer more. Most people have a hard time imagining themselves as 6'7 or doing the things that those people do.

-Smak

TonyJones
01-05-2011, 09:36 AM

Offense wins championships.

Nash-tastic
01-05-2011, 09:57 AM

joyner82/YouCallILose
ashbelly
KG5MVP
TheMiz
Hulk_Hogan
Bladers
griffmoney
TheLogo
blondie
evilmonkey?

strike
01-05-2011, 10:01 AM
Basketball is the easiest game in the world. All you have to do is throw a ball into a hoop

EvanW
01-05-2011, 10:29 AM
Not 1.. but 2... but 3... but 4, 5, 6, 7 championships :lolThis reminds me: Robert Horry is GOAT

strike
01-05-2011, 10:31 AM
Dwayne Wade has great vertical :lol

he doesnt?

strike
01-05-2011, 10:32 AM
OJ Mayo is a 6''4 mamba
lol thats a classic

Jan95
01-05-2011, 10:36 AM
Basketball is soft.

falc39
01-05-2011, 01:01 PM
Soccer is a game that anybody can play; basketball is the same except sooner or later you're gonna have to be a certain height. I know this because I am short and realized that after high school I wasn't going to be able to compete at the higher levels of bball, or even if I did I'd always be limited and have to deal with a huge disadvantage and play a certain role.

I think that is the reason people enjoy soccer more. Most people have a hard time imagining themselves as 6'7 or doing the things that those people do.

-Smak

so the reason people play soccer is because they aren't tall enough to play basketball... :facepalm

You know, if there was a "Dumbest things you've heard from people about Soccer" thread I would put this and probably 5 other posts I've read in this thread already. amazing

disel
01-05-2011, 01:24 PM
Dwight better then a prime Yao.

ShaqAttack3234
01-05-2011, 01:47 PM
"Shaq in the 60's would be Darryl Dawkins"- alexandreben

"Hedo carried the 2009 Magic"- blondie

"Lebron is a sidekick"- too many trolls to count

"Iverson was easily better than Shaq in 2001"- markymark

However Durant is 6-7 inches taller, has 8 inches in wingspan, is an equal scorer at 21 to prime jordan, and will be a better rebounder with the potential of being a better defender.

Durant is basically Kevin Garnett combined with Ray Allen's skillset

Those ones come to mind as far as this board, I hear stupid shit all the time when discussing basketball outside this board. As dumb as many people are here, the average fan who doesn't post here is even more clueless. I remember a friend of mine claiming that Mike Bibby was better than Shaq around 2002.

chris2010
01-05-2011, 01:49 PM
Kobe Bryant has the best shot selection ever

nycelt84
01-05-2011, 01:54 PM
college basketball is better because there aren't any ballhogs like in the "negro tatoo league"- random redneck in at the postoffice :facepalm:

A lot of racists usually spout garbage like this.

scm5
01-05-2011, 03:02 PM
One of my favorites is trying to insult a player by calling him Pippen. Last time I checked, you don't insult someone by comparing him to one of the most complete wing players and 6 time NBA champion.

copper
01-05-2011, 03:21 PM
the only competition is who has the better floppers these days

FKAri
01-05-2011, 03:35 PM
It doesn't take a genius to tell that basketball requires more coordination than soccer. The only difference is that because the hoop is 10 feet high and a goal is set on the ground that such things as athleticism and height come into play.

People generally bash what threatens them.

I could see someone telling me that I have a poor attention span, but I don't think that's why I think soccer is inferior. I do hate that the ball gets stuck in areas a lot in soccer.

-Smak

Why start a war?

I watch both sports and I'd say both sports require tremendous coordination. But I'd also add that you won't find guys as uncoordinated as Kwame Brown or Shawn Bradley playing soccer at the highest levels.

LA_Showtime
01-05-2011, 03:36 PM
"The only reason I don't like Kobe and the Lakers is because of their fans."

Monkey D Dragon
01-05-2011, 03:36 PM

Losers

Monkey D Dragon
01-05-2011, 03:39 PM
Kobe recently won 2 Championship by Riding Gasols hairy asss Elf looking pusssy who plays weak asss defense and got exposed by good defenders and cant score without someone creating for him.

Monkey D Dragon
01-05-2011, 03:40 PM
Dwight Can't play 90's Ball :wtf:

PHILA
01-06-2011, 06:33 AM
How about that Wilt ******ger who doesn't even have Kareem in his top 10.Who would this be? Certainly nobody from this forum.

PHILA
01-06-2011, 06:37 AM
Of course it is you who as a KAJ fan stated that Chamberlain outside the "top 10" recently.

RandyOrton
01-06-2011, 07:08 AM
Kobe Bryant has the best shot selection ever
With his skill, you cant blame him

knightfall88
01-06-2011, 07:15 AM
"Lebron developed his jumper now" EVERY FCKN YEAR

kidachi
01-06-2011, 07:19 AM
Manu is 2nd to MJ.

fckn bullshyt.

LilBTheBasedGod
01-06-2011, 07:37 AM
lol I wouldnt say shaqs offensive game was any better than dwights, but naturally shaq is a much better defender than dwight because of his size.
:facepalm :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm

RandyOrton
01-06-2011, 07:49 AM
:facepalm :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm

PurpleChuck
01-06-2011, 08:02 AM
:facepalm :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm
THIS!

LilEddyCurry
01-06-2011, 08:56 AM
Winner!

DrTheo
01-06-2011, 08:57 AM
I am from England and I am a massive Bulls fan and a West Ham United season ticket holder.

I think one of the main reasons that a lot of UK sports fans don't get into basketball is the lack of coverage we get over here. ESPN do a couple of nationally televised games a week but unless you subscribe to league pass and see a lot of games, it's hard to get into the soap opera of it all.

A lots of brits will have heard of MJ, LB etc but thats as far as it goes, also people here seem to think its a tacticless sport where you go up one end and huzz in the hoop then back the other way. I try to explain to people about pick and rolls, pick and pops, isos, spacing, defensive sets etc and get blank looks in reply.

I love both sports equally and watch every bulls game and about 10 other games a week where there are match ups I like.

I think trying to spread the word about soccer in the US is like trying to spread the word about basketball over here.

Don't tar all us brits with the same brush tho, some of us know about basketball and love it to bits.

f0und
01-06-2011, 10:53 AM
the other day this dumb girl who obviously doesnt know much about sports was trying to tell me that jordan had made another comeback. she kept trying to convince me and even told me she saw him play on tv the other day. i told her she prob just saw a commercial of the new NBA2K11 game and video games these days can look pretty realistic. what a dumb *****.

BlackWhiteGreen
01-06-2011, 11:04 AM
I am from England and I am a massive Bulls fan and a West Ham United season ticket holder.

I think one of the main reasons that a lot of UK sports fans don't get into basketball is the lack of coverage we get over here. ESPN do a couple of nationally televised games a week but unless you subscribe to league pass and see a lot of games, it's hard to get into the soap opera of it all.

A lots of brits will have heard of MJ, LB etc but thats as far as it goes, also people here seem to think its a tacticless sport where you go up one end and huzz in the hoop then back the other way. I try to explain to people about pick and rolls, pick and pops, isos, spacing, defensive sets etc and get blank looks in reply.

I love both sports equally and watch every bulls game and about 10 other games a week where there are match ups I like.

I think trying to spread the word about soccer in the US is like trying to spread the word about basketball over here.

Don't tar all us brits with the same brush tho, some of us know about basketball and love it to bits.

Feel sorry for you at the minute, my dad's a West Ham fan too :cheers:

Papaya Petee
01-06-2011, 11:35 PM
Wilt Chamberlain could bench press 500 pounds, ****ed 3000 women and killed a mountain lion with bare hands.

Soccer- Leo Messi is not the best player in the world.

GhostDeini32
01-07-2011, 12:56 AM
someone just told me that raymond felton is the best point guard in the league. fool said it with a straight face and serious composure. :lol

jlauber
01-07-2011, 02:25 AM
Bill Simmons take on the Russell-Wilt rivalry.

Mr. Jabbar
01-07-2011, 02:36 AM
Brand new dumb phrase forged at www.InsideHoops.com (http://www.InsideHoops.com) : "Rondo is a good point guard only because he's surrounded by 3 hofers"

Mr. I'm So Rad
01-07-2011, 02:39 AM
Amar'e is a good defender because he blocks shots

Or that (insert name here) never carried their team to a ring :facepalm

jlauber
01-07-2011, 02:57 AM
Wilt Chamberlain could bench press 500 pounds, ****ed 3000 women and killed a mountain lion with bare hands.

Soccer- Leo Messi is not the best player in the world.

So you are saying that those that claim that Wilt could bench 500 lbs is among the DUMBEST things ever posted about Basketball?

Interesting...the internet is SATURATED with Chamberlain being credited with a 500 lb.+ bench press. There is even an eye-witness account of Wilt benching 465 lbs. at age 59! There was an SI article in 1964 that claimed that Wilt could easily bench 425 lbs...and that was WAY before Wilt was at his peak.

And there are those that not only claimed that Wilt was the strongest player in the NBA at the time (and probably by a HUGE margin)...but that he was among the strongest men in the world.

Google Wilt's bench, or his strength, or his power...and you see page-after-page. Furthermore, where are the first-hand accounts of Wilt NOT being able to bench 500 lbs? I have always found it fascinating that the internet is plastered with links claiming Chamberlain with a 500+ lb. bench press...and few (if any) claims of less than that. You would think, that with all of the MANY players that Chamberlain played against, or the MANY observers who witnessed Wilt's incredible feats of strength...that there would be at least one credible first-hand account that DISPUTED those claims.

As far as 3000 women...Wilt regretted the comment, but he actually claimed 20,000. Where did the number come from? During a 10 day stay at a friend's hotel in Hawaii, the friend observed 23 different women going to Wilt's room (and that is what he actually saw.) Wilt was nearly 50 at the time, so he calculated 2 women per day, times 365 days in a year, times 30 years. Obviously it was a wild guesstimate. BUT, those that traveled with Wilt would tell you that he had MANY women in his life.

The mountain lion story? Who knows? Wilt came back from a cross country road trip and he had assorted scratches on his back. In any case, throwing a SMALL mountain lion around would not be totally unbelieveable.

Once again, though, I think you can find FAR dumber comments than those that claim that Chamberlain benched 500 lbs.

LilBTheBasedGod
01-07-2011, 03:00 AM
So you are saying that those that claim that Wilt could bench 500 lbs is among the DUMBEST things ever posted about Basketball?

Interesting...the internet is SATURATED with Chamberlain being credited with a 500 lb.+ bench press. There is even an eye-witness account of Wilt benching 465 lbs. at age 59! There was an SI article in 1964 that claimed that Wilt could easily bench 425 lbs...and that was WAY before Wilt was at his peak.

And there are those that not only claimed that Wilt was the strongest player in the NBA at the time (and probably by a HUGE margin)...but that he was among the strongest men in the world.

Google Wilt's bench, or his strength, or his power...and you see page-after-page. Furthermore, where are the first-hand accounts of Wilt NOT being able to bench 500 lbs? I have always found it fascinating that the internet is plastered with links claiming Chamberlain with a 500+ lb. bench press...and few (if any) claims of less than that. You would think, that with all of the MANY players that Chamberlain played against, or the MANY observers who witnessed Wilt's incredible feats of strength...that there would be at least one credible first-hand account that DISPUTED those claims.

As far as 3000 women...Wilt regretted the comment, but he actually claimed 20,000. Where did the number come from? During a 10 day stay at a friend's hotel in Hawaii, the friend observed 23 different women going to Wilt's room (and that is what he actually saw.) Wilt was nearly 50 at the time, so he calculated 2 women per day, times 365 days in a year, times 30 years. Obviously it was a wild guesstimate. BUT, those that traveled with Wilt would tell you that he had MANY women in his life.

The mountain lion story? Who knows? Wilt came back from a cross country road trip and he had assorted scratches on his back. In any case, throwing a SMALL mountain lion around would not be totally unbelieveable.

Once again, though, I think you can find FAR dumber comments than those that claim that Chamberlain benched 500 lbs.

umad brah?

DrTheo
01-07-2011, 04:17 AM
Feel sorry for you at the minute, my dad's a West Ham fan too :cheers:

Tell me about it , turning up every game is getting harder and harder, at least my beloved Bulls are doing well and should go deep.

I think they are more suited to post season now with great D and can now be effective in the half court game.

Nash-tastic
01-07-2011, 09:02 AM
So true

d.bball.guy
01-07-2011, 09:21 AM
"What the hell is a 76er?"

beermonsteroo
01-07-2011, 09:28 AM
"Kobe Bryant is a top 10 basketball palyer alltime"

PurpleChuck
01-07-2011, 09:32 AM
Agenda...

Trying to turn this thread into something else eh...

beermonsteroo
01-07-2011, 09:44 AM
Agenda...

Trying to turn this thread into something else eh...

Nop just the truth

Jeannot
01-07-2011, 09:47 AM
Saying rondo is only good because that he plays with 3 hof.
Rondo is good because he is clearly the best, with 3 hof.

beermonsteroo
01-07-2011, 09:50 AM
Saying rondo is only good because that he plays with 3 hof.
Rondo is good because he is clearly the best, with 3 hof.

negged

AJ2k8
01-07-2011, 09:56 AM
Nash is a better 3pt shooter than ray ray

I'm Seriously
01-07-2011, 10:11 AM

I'd take Allen over Nash as a 3pt shooter, but that's hardly one of the dumbest things that's been said about basketball.

Nash-tastic
01-07-2011, 12:04 PM
Ray is better off screens
Nash is better off the dribble

ninephive
01-07-2011, 12:10 PM
Game 6 2002 WCF wasn't fixed.

Penny_Hardaway
01-07-2011, 12:16 PM

joyner82/YouCallILose
ashbelly
KG5MVP
TheMiz
Hulk_Hogan
Bladers
griffmoney
TheLogo
blondie

PurpleChuck
01-07-2011, 02:04 PM
Haha gotta be real. Those ppl are pure retards. :cheers:

Mr. I'm So Rad
01-07-2011, 02:30 PM

No wonder my troll senses were tingling

Vancouver-Grizz
01-07-2011, 02:32 PM
"I am a basketball fan but I only watch the last 5 minuntes of any game because no matter if a team is down by 30, they will be within 5 at the end of the game."

I hate it when people say that.

step_back
01-07-2011, 02:35 PM
Is a dunk worth more points than a lay up. Yep I have actually been asked this.

Nevaeh
01-07-2011, 03:02 PM
Dumbest thing I've heard most recently would have to be this:

Defiantly.

You could actually even replace Jordan with a player from that time period like Clyde Drexler or Dominique Wilkins back then and they would still 3-peat.

When the question was posed if a Prime Kobe Bryant could 3-peat with the 91-93 Bulls. ginobli2311 the poster brought up a good point here:

1 title.

the over-rating of kobe continues. kobe couldn't carry a team the way jordan could. no way in hell the bulls were winning some of those games/series if jordan had shot kobe's standard 41% in the finals.

And here:

take a look at the 92 finals:

39 points on 59%
39 points on 50%
26 points on 50%
32 points on 42%
46 points 61%
33 points on 54%

jordan's worst game in the 92 finals was better than kobe's career average in the finals. LOL. and that series went six and was actually pretty close.

Yet somehow Kobe, who chucked Shaq out of a potential 4th Finals MVP in 2004, would somehow defer to a less potent offensive force in Scottie Pippen to win 3 straight Titles? Alrighty then.

Thread started out great until Kobe's Defense Brigade chimed in hoping once again to elevate him to Legend status.

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=204077

NoName22
01-07-2011, 03:24 PM
Dumbest thing I've heard most recently would have to be this:

When the question was posed if a Prime Kobe Bryant could 3-peat with the 91-93 Bulls. ginobli2311 the poster brought up a good point here:

And here:

Yet somehow Kobe, who chucked Shaq out of a potential 4th Finals MVP in 2004, would somehow defer to a less potent offensive force in Scottie Pippen to win 3 straight Titles? Alrighty then.

Thread started out great until Kobe's Defense Brigade chimed in hoping once again to elevate him to Legend status.

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=204077

You a female ?

Shouldn't you be in the kitchen instead of spouting bullshit here ?

Myth
01-07-2011, 03:28 PM
The most frustrating would be when you play with people who don't know all the basketball rules, yet they think they do.

Like guys dribbling the ball, stepping out of bounds, then coming back in bounds and dribbling again. I've seen a couple of guys do this and claim it is not out because they never touched the ball while they were out. :facepalm

Or guys catching their own airballs and thinking it is not a violation. :banghead:

Not quite as bad, but is still frustrating is guys not knowing the proper behind the backboard/out of bounds rules and thinking that the top of the backboard is out.

Kingsfans818
01-07-2011, 04:51 PM
lots, too many to mention

One that sticks out is a girl telling me she's a huge Celtic fan and when I asked who the best Celtic of all time was in her opinion she replied with Garnett or Pierce.