PDA

View Full Version : Kobe Bryant Says he has almost no Cartilage in his Knee

MichaelAngelo
01-07-2011, 11:50 AM
Full Story: http://bit.ly/fhDga7

[I]Kobe appeared to know exactly what was ailing his two-time defending team. Minutes after being manhandled by the Heat, he pronounced he was going to

oh the horror
01-07-2011, 12:03 PM
And its shit like that, which will eventually take Kobe completely out of the mix. I always laugh when dudes think Bryant will play until hes like 40....It AINT happening. Little nagging injuries eventually build up....his fingers....his knees...etc.

ashbelly
01-07-2011, 12:04 PM
I asked before why kobe was not practising with the team, and they deleted my thread. :facepalm

Kobe Bryant isn’t an old man (he is 32 years old) in the traditional sense, but in basketball years he would be collecting social security right now. Through in all the trials, tribulations, successes, failures and drama he has endured since he was in high school, he maybe the oldest 32 year old man on the planet.

Lakers fans don’t want to see, but I saw it years ago.

Same thing happened to Jordan toward the end. The physical started to break down while the mental aspects of his game started to rise to a level well above your average basketball player.

Same thing with Bryant, his physical peak with spent with Smush Parker and Kwame Brown, what you are seeing now is a Obi Wan Kenobi version.

Bryant entered the league in 1996, it is currently 2011. He has only missed the playoffs once and played in seven NBA Finals winning five.

That is a lot of mileage on a 32 year old body, so I am not surprised he is started to break down physically and why he is trying to keep the Lakers engaged mentally to get that six title he so desperately wants.

Kobe appeared to know exactly what was ailing his two-time defending team. Minutes after being manhandled by the Heat, he pronounced he was going to “kick [butt] at practice . . . and beat it into their heads. It was time to get the team focused.”

Which brings us to the crux of my inquiry. How did Kobe propose to pull that off, a Lakers’ legionnaire wondered, “when he hasn’t practiced the whole season (something no member of LA’s press has called him out on)?”

Is that true, I asked Kobe?

“Yeah.”

Why?

“Because I have very little cartilage under my right knee cap, it’s almost bone on bone.”

Kobe knows he is running out of time. Regardless of what you think of Lebron James, D Wade, Dwight Howard, Amar’e, CP3, Derek Rose, Carmelo Anthony and etc, those guys are just hitting their prime and will be the dominate forces of the next decade.
Kobe is chasing a legacy, five titles is nice and his spot is secure, but a three peat and a sixth ring will only cement it further. His body is telling him he is close to the finish line, but he mind is trying to override the signs.
It is an amazing thing to watch from a distance, because you can see the wheels turning in his mind. It is like a Marathon runner who has been leading a race, but he can see the pack in the distance slowly catching it while he is trying to finish that last mile.
While I don’t like to compare him to Michael Jordan overall, I do see similarities in the way their careers will end.
Michael Jordan in 1998 was not the same Michael Jordan in 1991, he just wanted it more and willed his way to that last title. It was his signature moment in a career filled with them.
Bryant is going to try to attempt to will the Lakers to a threepeat.
Can he do it?
It will be fascinating to watch.

mashbelly
01-07-2011, 12:06 PM
I asked before why kobe was not practising with the team, and they deleted my thread. :facepalm

damn those mods

tpols
01-07-2011, 12:07 PM
And its shit like that, which will eventually take Kobe completely out of the mix. I always laugh when dudes think Bryant will play until hes like 40....It AINT happening. Little nagging injuries eventually build up....his fingers....his knees...etc.
Michael had problems with his knees for years in the 90s and he kept going.. and many other players have had worse or similar injuries and keep going.

Plus kobe doesn't rely on his speed or athleticism nearly as much as the other superstars in the league right now(wade, lebron). He doesn't need to explode off his right leg and he rarely tries to get any lift on his jumps when he's attacking the rim.

That combined with his mentality and hunger to win/improve his legacy makes me think he still has a few solid years of production left.

Pinkhearts
01-07-2011, 12:17 PM
Doubt anyone expects Kobe to be dominating till 40. As long as he maintains a high level of play for his current huge contract (2.5 more years to go I think) it'll be all good. The Lakers will be done by then as all their core players will be into their mid thirties. But they would have 3-peated and won so many rings together it'll be worthwhile.

After that Kobe might get a new contract for a lower price. Or just retire. He won't be expected to do so much anymore.

oh the horror
01-07-2011, 12:17 PM
Michael had problems with his knees for years in the 90s and he kept going.. and many other players have had worse or similar injuries and keep going.

Plus kobe doesn't rely on his speed or athleticism nearly as much as the other superstars in the league right now(wade, lebron). He doesn't need to explode off his right leg and he rarely tries to get any lift on his jumps when he's attacking the rim.

That combined with his mentality and hunger to win/improve his legacy makes me think he still has a few solid years of production left.

Sure, he has a few "solid" years left, but they'd better surround him with optimal talent, and he has to come to the realization that he cant be "alpha dog" forever....because you can already see clearly what 14 years in the league is doing.

Dude IS slipping.

oh the horror
01-07-2011, 12:20 PM
And I'll say it right now.....You're in FULL ON DENIAL if you believe Kobe will be in this league at 40. It will simply NOT happen.

7 more years? Are you kidding?

Unless you want to see a 40 year old Bryant, coming off the bench for 10 minutes a game, averaging 5ppg, it aint happening. His body is already showing signs of wear and tear at 32-33 years of age.

14 years in the league folks....its no joke.

ballup
01-07-2011, 12:23 PM
It looks like the Lakers are saving Bryant by limiting his minutes to 33 per game. That will help his longevity, but it can also be a sign that his body is breaking down and he has a limited amount of time left to be a high caliber player. In a couple of years, he may be doing what the Spurs are doing to Duncan.

Pointguard
01-07-2011, 12:34 PM
He don't need to be doing the Olympics or Summer ball. He should let them know now. He didn't rest.

ashbelly
01-07-2011, 12:35 PM
He don't need to be doing the Olympics or Summer ball. He should let them know now. He didn't rest.

He already said he's ready to play in the olympics in 2012.

Apocalyptic0n3
01-07-2011, 01:07 PM
And I'll say it right now.....You're in FULL ON DENIAL if you believe Kobe will be in this league at 40. It will simply NOT happen.

7 more years? Are you kidding?

Unless you want to see a 40 year old Bryant, coming off the bench for 10 minutes a game, averaging 5ppg, it aint happening. His body is already showing signs of wear and tear at 32-33 years of age.

14 years in the league folks....its no joke.

I can see it happening... if he gets close to Malone. Jordan is well within range and Kobe could be third all time without much issue by the team he retires. Playing at the age of 40, though, would only happen if he's within range of Malone, or if he averages 20+ for three-four more seasons, Kareem. Otherwise, I don't think he'll play that long.

New York Knicks
01-07-2011, 01:24 PM
Another excuse by Kobe. What else is new?

asdf1990
01-07-2011, 01:31 PM
This is gonna sound like a stupid question, is bone on bone in NBA players cuz of injury to the knee followed by surgery or just the miles on the knee?

ashbelly
01-07-2011, 01:34 PM
This is gonna sound like a stupid question, is bone on bone in NBA players cuz of injury to the knee followed by surgery or just the miles on the knee?

I think with kobe it's both, but wear and tear mostly has to do with it.

thejumpa
01-07-2011, 01:38 PM

It's both. Lots of mileage can wear cartilage down over time. Obviously, if you have surgery to remove cartilage, then that can cause bone on one as well.

Mr. I'm So Rad
01-07-2011, 02:58 PM
He already said he's ready to play in the olympics in 2012.

I think if he wins a ring before then he will retire. Maybe one more year after that but I doubt it. But like I said I think it all depends on him winning a championship.

thejumpa
01-07-2011, 03:07 PM
I think if he wins a ring before then he will retire. Maybe one more year after that but I doubt it. But like I said I think it all depends on him winning a championship.

Why would he retire after winning another championship? That doesn't even make any sense. Aside from his body being completely broken down to the point where he can't compete(and it isn't), he's going to try to win as many rings as he can.

Faberg
01-07-2011, 03:09 PM
That explains Kobe's low minutes.

Rose
01-07-2011, 03:09 PM
Personally I think he's got 4 years left, and then he's done. 18 years of playing, is pretty impressive. He'll probably have another ring or two. And he'll be happy with that.

Mr. I'm So Rad
01-07-2011, 03:12 PM
Why would he retire after winning another championship? That doesn't even make any sense. Aside from his body being completely broken down to the point where he can't compete(and it isn't), he's going to try to win as many rings as he can.

I wish he could play like 4 more seasons at this level but I don't think he can. If he can secure 1 or maybe even 2 more titles I think he will be content to retire. His body isn't in breakdown mode yet because Kobe is one of the most well conditioned athletes in the league. But after this contract is up in 2013 I think he will sign one more deal for like 2 years at the most. After that I don't think his body will be able to handle it anymore and he will retire. I don't see Kobe playing past 36 or 37.

ATL_Bball_King
01-07-2011, 03:38 PM
Yea watching Kobe on the court these days you can see he is a step slower...I think he has bout 4 years left in the tank...I think he could still get 1 or 2 more titles... Damn i remember when it was Kobe and Shaq...My how the times has passed...Kobe you will be remembered...Lets get two more though!!!

MightyWhitey
01-07-2011, 03:40 PM
Kobe has had an illustrious career. One more season and I suggest that he retires as a Laker ending his career on a high note. No comebacks like MJ. Jusy walk away the man in LA.

step_back
01-07-2011, 03:45 PM
Kobe has had an illustrious career. One more season and I suggest that he retires as a Laker ending his career on a high note. No comebacks like MJ. Jusy walk away the man in LA.

Very rarely does a player do that but I agree, he has already played more seasons than Jordan and has had an incredible career. He could end on a high note that's for sure.

TonyJones
01-07-2011, 03:59 PM

Give him a break. His body has been through hell and back. Its surprising he is still able to play at the level hes been playing.

B-Easy
01-07-2011, 04:05 PM
and yet he still puts up the 4th most shot attempts in the league ...

imagine Kobe in his mid-late 30s? .. I wonder if he would even accept being a role player or continue putting up like 20 shots a night.

PowerGlove
01-07-2011, 04:07 PM
He's been on the decline since 2009, but delusional fans who think everyone is a hater said otherwise. After his postgame interview in WCF's against denver where he looked like he was dying and the sad dunk against the magic in the finals, I was like whoa. On top of that the injuries that never seemed to go away made the picture look more grim. I think four all star level years are a little too optimistic for me. I have said this for years, declines aren't usually linear, for most players it's falling off a cliff in terms of their production.

It's crazy because this dude from 04-07 was legendary.

LEFT4DEAD
01-07-2011, 04:10 PM
Lol at this one. Even if he has just by a bit damaged cartilage he would not be able to play because of pain. Kobe's medicine knowledge sucks. Better for him to find another excuse. He has only 5 months left.

StacksOnDeck
01-07-2011, 04:12 PM

So if Kobe wins a ring in 2012, you think he retires? :facepalm

He's gonna be 34 and still gonna be able to drop 20.

Batz
01-07-2011, 04:14 PM
He's been on the decline since 2009, but delusional fans who think everyone is a hater said otherwise. After his postgame interview in WCF's against denver where he looked like he was dying
He got like 2 hours of sleep in those 3 days before the game. I agree with everything though.

DuMa
01-07-2011, 04:28 PM
you hear that guys?

the bandwagon just got a little lighter!

Pointguard
01-07-2011, 04:40 PM
I wish he could play like 4 more seasons at this level but I don't think he can. If he can secure 1 or maybe even 2 more titles I think he will be content to retire. His body isn't in breakdown mode yet because Kobe is one of the most well conditioned athletes in the league. But after this contract is up in 2013 I think he will sign one more deal for like 2 years at the most. After that I don't think his body will be able to handle it anymore and he will retire. I don't see Kobe playing past 36 or 37.

If KoBe isn't practicing, he more than likely isn't up on his conditioning. If the cartiledge is wearing out the only somewhat healing mechanism is rest. Otherwise it gets progressively worse. Now no practices, next year no back to backs - (in March I believe the Lakers have no back to backs). I can't see it going past a second year. Without practices he isn't as sharp of shooter and his explosion isn't as crisp. His work ethic gave him the superduper star advantage.

I think it would be rather humiliating playing at a low level... .

OG LeeTSkeeT
01-07-2011, 04:42 PM
who will be LA's next super star?:confusedshrug:

Pointguard
01-07-2011, 04:42 PM
That explains Kobe's low minutes.

And the shift to Gasol as the man.

ashbelly
01-07-2011, 04:43 PM
who will be LA's next super star?:confusedshrug:

Gasol

Duncan21formvp
01-07-2011, 04:53 PM
[QUOTE=MichaelAngelo]Full Story: http://bit.ly/fhDga7

[I]Kobe appeared to know exactly what was ailing his two-time defending team. Minutes after being manhandled by the Heat, he pronounced he was going to

bdreason
01-07-2011, 05:00 PM
Window is closing for Kobe and the Lakers. In a couple years, Kobe will be a solid SG making close to 30 million a year. The Lakers are what they are for the next few years... so they better hope Bynum turns into a legit 20/10 guy... or this season could be their real last shot a title until Kobe comes off the books.

Mr. I'm So Rad
01-07-2011, 05:06 PM
If KoBe isn't practicing, he more than likely isn't up on his conditioning. If the cartiledge is wearing out the only somewhat healing mechanism is rest. Otherwise it gets progressively worse. Now no practices, next year no back to backs - (in March I believe the Lakers have no back to backs). I can't see it going past a second year. Without practices he isn't as sharp of shooter and his explosion isn't as crisp. His work ethic gave him the superduper star advantage.

I think it would be rather humiliating playing at a low level... .

This is exactly why I don't want him playing when he's like 36-37

Mr. I'm So Rad
01-07-2011, 05:09 PM
So if Kobe wins a ring in 2012, you think he retires? :facepalm

He's gonna be 34 and still gonna be able to drop 20.

:facepalm I'm not doubting his ability, but rather saying that he probably won't have the same hunger if he's accomplished so much. I mean come on, the only thing left for Kobe to really do is win 2 more rings and get into the top 5 of the scoring list which both are very plausible. I know he is always very determined and hungry, but the wear and tear will be too much for him in like 2014.

knightfall88
01-07-2011, 05:25 PM
Well he wasnt himself in the regular season last year but was moving very well after the OKC series. We just gotta see how he is in the playoffs this year to decide how bad he has really aged or how bad the injuries have caught up with him.

eliteballer
01-07-2011, 05:29 PM
Well, he's clearly exaggerating.

Stuff like this happens when there's no cartilage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKggO62YPs4

Not stuff like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzTDa3KdBc8

Mr. I'm So Rad
01-07-2011, 05:33 PM
Well he wasnt himself in the regular season last year but was moving very well after the OKC series. We just gotta see how he is in the playoffs this year to decide how bad he has really aged or how bad the injuries have caught up with him.

Well remember he had gotten his knee drained at the end of that OKC series so it was a temporary fix that allowed him to get a little bit of that movement back.

ashbelly
01-07-2011, 05:36 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_zGWYKwGoQVs/SEzAbv_L5uI/AAAAAAAAAII/YcRd_BVjWz4/s400/Old%2520Kobe_sm.jpg

macpierce
01-07-2011, 05:36 PM
he is retiring after his extension ends............so theres 3 years left in his legendary career :applause:

ProfessorMurder
01-07-2011, 05:41 PM

Not stuff like this:

:rolleyes: That was like McGrady's first game back from missing a whole season and not rehabbing properly... Also, don't act like Kobe jumped out of the gym on that.

thejumpa
01-07-2011, 05:43 PM

Not stuff like this:

Cartilage doesn't grow back and TMac has been dunking all year:confusedshrug:

ashbelly
01-07-2011, 05:47 PM

he's just trying to reassure himself that Kobe's is not that Bad.. By the way i still don't believe this shit until a Doctor says so. Kobe might just be trying to cover all bases,

If they still win, he's a gutsy hero. If they lose, it's because Kobe is playing on one leg. Dude might just be playing the Media.

jjayfive
01-07-2011, 05:49 PM
most athletes have issues with cartilage in their knees.. no surprise here...

Mr. I'm So Rad
01-07-2011, 05:52 PM
he's just trying to reassure himself that Kobe's is not that Bad.. By the way i still don't believe this shit until a Doctor says so. Kobe might just be trying to cover all bases,

. Dude might just be playing the Media.

Like LeBron's elbow? :confusedshrug:

macpierce
01-07-2011, 05:55 PM
at least kobe isnt faking injuries, you know he actually has doctors perform surgery on what ails him opposed to elbow injuries dissapearing into thin air.
:roll:

pegasus
01-07-2011, 05:56 PM
Like LeBron's elbow? :confusedshrug:

LeBron's elbow should have his own agent; "it" was one of the best "players" of the last year.

NoGunzJustSkillz
01-07-2011, 05:57 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_zGWYKwGoQVs/SEzAbv_L5uI/AAAAAAAAAII/YcRd_BVjWz4/s400/Old%2520Kobe_sm.jpg
:oldlol:

Mr. I'm So Rad
01-07-2011, 05:58 PM

:roll: this is pretty funny

scm5
01-07-2011, 06:01 PM
at least kobe isnt faking injuries, you know he actually has doctors perform surgery on what ails him opposed to elbow injuries dissapearing into thin air.

Yea, and his fingers look clearly mangled in pictures that we've seen. He also keeps them wrapped during games. I can't imagine playing with my index finger wrapped like that every single game. My rotation on the shot would definitely be all sorts of messed up. My point is, if you can play without it, any player would do so.

If I were Kobe and I won the championship this year, I would have that meniscus surgery they're talking about putting Roy through. They said it's typically done by players after they're done playing, but Kobe's had a long enough career. If he's capable of returning the following year, awesome! He'll be healthier and might be able to go for a fourpeat. If it doesn't allow him to play anymore he would have left on a good note.

If he loses the Finals though, he's coming back for damn sure. Knee cartilage or not.

ashbelly
01-07-2011, 06:06 PM
Yea, and his fingers look clearly mangled in pictures that we've seen. He also keeps them wrapped during games. I can't imagine playing with my index finger wrapped like that every single game. My rotation on the shot would definitely be all sorts of messed up. My point is, if you can play without it, any player would do so.

If I were Kobe and I won the championship this year, I would have that meniscus surgery they're talking about putting Roy through. They said it's typically done by players after they're done playing, but Kobe's had a long enough career. If he's capable of returning the following year, awesome! He'll be healthier and might be able to go for a fourpeat. If it doesn't allow him to play anymore he would have left on a good note.

If he loses the Finals though, he's coming back for damn sure. Knee cartilage or not.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: ORLY ?

scm5
01-07-2011, 06:11 PM
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: ORLY ?

:wtf: Yes really. If he wins this year, and he got healthier over the offseason, then I'm pretty sure it's safe to assume that he would be in good shape to go for a fourpeat.

Read the text. Think logically.

momo
01-07-2011, 06:13 PM
Lol at this one. Even if he has just by a bit damaged cartilage he would not be able to play because of pain. Kobe's medicine knowledge sucks. Better for him to find another excuse. He has only 5 months left.

Nick Van Exel played with no cartilage for years.

eliteballer
01-07-2011, 06:17 PM

Not familiar with microfracture? It grows new cartilage.

scm5
01-07-2011, 06:20 PM

The new cartilage isn't as durable and Kobe would be out for a long time w/ microfracture.

ashbelly
01-07-2011, 06:20 PM
The new cartilage isn't as durable and Kobe would be out for a long time w/ microfracture.

Ouch!!

Funnyfuka
01-07-2011, 06:21 PM
He's been on the decline since 2009, but delusional fans who think everyone is a hater said otherwise. After his postgame interview in WCF's against denver where he looked like he was dying and the sad dunk against the magic in the finals, I was like whoa. On top of that the injuries that never seemed to go away made the picture look more grim. I think four all star level years are a little too optimistic for me. I have said this for years, declines aren't usually linear, for most players it's falling off a cliff in terms of their production.

yup. He has like 2 years in the tank, not more. And lakers arent going to win any more chip either. Everything changes.

scm5
01-07-2011, 06:21 PM
Anyone know how this will affect his Team USA 2012 chances?

ashbelly
01-07-2011, 06:22 PM
Anyone know how this will affect his Team USA 2012 chances?

Wasn't he the 1st player to say he wants to play in the olympics ? Don't know if the lakers will allow this.

Mr. I'm So Rad
01-07-2011, 06:24 PM
Wasn't he the 1st player to say he wants to play in the olympics ? Don't know if the lakers will allow this.

He can just come off the bench or in the 4th quarter when the game is close or they are trying to close out an opponent. He's already said that's pretty much what he expects his role to be. He doesn't have a problem with that.

thejumpa
01-07-2011, 06:43 PM

Good call. I forgot TMac had microfracture surgery. Still, I think his failed dunk/layup attempt was more being rusty then anything.

ashbelly
01-07-2011, 06:45 PM
Good call. I forgot TMac had microfracture surgery. Still, I think his failed dunk/layup attempt was more being rusty then anything.

But you really can't count on Tmac's health. he's a game away from being out the whole season.

Doranku
01-07-2011, 06:53 PM
At least when Kobe is gone, all the awful posters like Knoe, DuMa, New York Knicks, etc will all be gone since their sole purpose of watching basketball and posting on this forum is to downsize Kobe Bryant.

I wonder what they'll do with their free time then?

thejumpa
01-07-2011, 06:54 PM
But you really can't count on Tmac's health. he's a game away from being out the whole season.

How do you figure?

Mr. I'm So Rad
01-07-2011, 06:55 PM
At least when Kobe is gone, all the awful posters like Knoe, DuMa, New York Knicks, etc will all be gone since their sole purpose of watching basketball and posting on this forum is to downsize Kobe Bryant.

:cry:

ashbelly
01-07-2011, 06:58 PM
How do you figure?

Are you seriously asking this question ? When was the last time he played a whole season ?

branslowski
01-07-2011, 06:58 PM

Duma doesn't troll hate on Kobe.....He isn't a fan, but he doesn't go around hating like a loser.

Ginobli
Knoe
New York Knicks

And others will prob commit suicide or something.

thejumpa
01-07-2011, 07:39 PM
Are you seriously asking this question ? When was the last time he played a whole season ?

IDK...he looks good to me. He's healthy again and has played every game so far.

ShaqAttack3234
01-07-2011, 08:04 PM

'08 might have been as best all around season. And he could still get up too. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMptipbXh7I

He lost about 20 pounds before that year and it seemed to help a lot.

Nice 360 from 2009. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pn4cbi4P1tw

The_Yearning
01-07-2011, 08:16 PM
The day Kobe falls off and can't compete at a competitive level anymore, I'll believe it. Cartilage or no cartilage.

tontoz
01-07-2011, 08:45 PM

jordan didn't have anything like that. He also retired a couple of times allowing his body to recover.

Kobe came into the NBA right out of HS, has played in the postseason most of the time and has had a lot of games for the national team. He has a lot of mileage on his legs.

OldSchoolBBall
01-07-2011, 09:38 PM
I doubt that Kobe has almost no cartilege under one of his knees. I'd actually need to see the scans and hear it from an actual doctor to believe it. He's not above saying and doing anything to make excuses for his and his team's poor play as of late.

NoEasy9
01-07-2011, 09:42 PM
He needs consider getting micro-fracture knee surgery...it will regrow his cartilage.

I have enough confidence will be playing back to his 09 season if he does take this procedure. He is dedicated and hard enough of a worker too. See Amare Stoudemire as another player who worked his ass off to get his game back despite getting micro-fracture knee surgery. Another would be Kenyon Martin.

N0Skillz
01-07-2011, 09:59 PM
Nick Van Exel played with no cartilage for years.

That's cause he was stealing his son's cartilage and when that ran out his son "accidentally" killed someone.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/localnews/stories/123110dnmetvanexel.66b515ee.html

IGOTGAME
01-07-2011, 10:00 PM
I doubt that Kobe has almost no cartilege under one of his knees. I'd actually need to see the scans and hear it from an actual doctor to believe it. He's not above saying and doing anything to make excuses for his and his team's poor play as of late.
:roll: :roll: :roll:

i guess he isnt practicing with the team for no reason.

OldSchoolBBall
01-07-2011, 10:07 PM
:roll: :roll: :roll:

i guess he isnt practicing with the team for no reason.

Oh, I don't doubt that he's in pain and/or injured; I just don't buy that specific claim at all. Fact is, he's banged up and getting on in years, and it's okay if he needs to sit some practices out.

N0Skillz
01-07-2011, 10:09 PM
Oh, I don't doubt that he's in pain and/or injured; I just don't buy that specific claim at all. Fact is, he's banged up and getting on in years, and it's okay if he needs to sit some practices out.

it was reported that he hadn't practiced with the team for the whole season.

For_Three
01-07-2011, 10:12 PM

Seriously dude? All he said is he has no cartilage left. Not an excuse...

Knick fan lol

RoseCity07
01-07-2011, 10:12 PM
Cartilage under the knee cap? I didn't know there was any. If he is taking about the cartilage on the ends of the bone, I wonder if it's possible that microfracture could fix his knee and give him a few more years. Although it doesn't work very well the older you get.

N0Skillz
01-07-2011, 10:13 PM
Cartilage under the knee cap? I didn't know there was any. If he is taking about the cartilage on the ends of the bone, I wonder if it's possible that microfracture could fix his knee and give him a few more years. Although it doesn't work very well the older you get.

Yeah on your joints. Think about your bones scrapping together when you move.

OUCH

Fuhqueue
01-07-2011, 10:28 PM
Stem cells ftw

Kobe could be 45 and dropping 25ppg. Let's make it happen.

Mr. I'm So Rad
01-07-2011, 10:46 PM
Stem cells ftw

:cheers:

gts
01-07-2011, 10:48 PM
I doubt that Kobe has almost no cartilege under one of his knees. I'd actually need to see the scans and hear it from an actual doctor to believe it. He's not above saying and doing anything to make excuses for his and his team's poor play as of late.old but still right on point when it comes to loki/oldschoolbball

http://i30.tinypic.com/10scex3.jpg

Jasper
01-07-2011, 10:48 PM
Jackson should minimize his minutes ... then the Laker team can play using other weapons instead of relying on him

Mr. I'm So Rad
01-07-2011, 10:54 PM
Jackson should minimize his minutes ... then the Laker team can play using other weapons instead of relying on him

That's part of the problem...he's still their biggest weapon even with his earlier struggles. Yes they have Gasol but he isn't dominant enough to draw double teams in the post except on a mismatch. Especially how he's been playing as of late. Kobe's only playing about 33 minutes a game I think that's the lowest Kobe's willing to go. I could be wrong though.

G-Funk
01-07-2011, 11:18 PM
old but still right on point when it comes to loki/oldschoolbball

IGOTGAME
01-07-2011, 11:20 PM
does anyone think Kobe will have microfracture surgery over the off season?

MMM
01-07-2011, 11:23 PM
Micro fracture isn't really an option for a 32 yr old Kobe it would basically be the end of his career. However, I have to say i'm skeptical about little cartilage in the knee.

gts
01-07-2011, 11:29 PM
does anyone think Kobe will have microfracture surgery over the off season?i don't think they even do micro fracture for this type of thing... i believe it's more for bone on bone or leg bone wearing on leg bone between the knee joint, not the knee cap rubbing on the leg bone..

i could be wrong but that's my understanding of his problem... it's not a stability thing or something that's going to suddenly fail on him..

sacredcow
01-07-2011, 11:40 PM
He's been in enough playoff games to add on an additional two seasons to his career games played. Throw in international ball and his body has played high level basketball for 16-17 years.

sagr32
01-08-2011, 12:02 AM
If its as serious as it sounds its I give Kobe 2-3 years at all star level.

Babalu
01-08-2011, 12:51 AM
I just hope that he is able to walk away from the game after a season and not succumb to injuries like Yao Ming did. It was sad to see Yao out there when you knew he was a fraction of his healthy self.

Hopefully he will walk away when its time, and not be stubborn and kill himself in a game.

aj242
01-08-2011, 12:55 AM

I mean no disrespect but tell that to Brandon Roy. Bone on bone is a serious thing. If it is indeed true then very little cartilage isn't good thing no matter who you are. Players have been able to manage tendinitis & plantar fasciitis.

Bone on bone is an entire different thing. He's going to have to do with a ton of pain once that cartilage goes.

KenneBell
01-08-2011, 01:02 AM

RoseCity07
01-08-2011, 01:38 AM
Stem cells ftw

funny you should mention that. I just read last night that they have used stem cells with microfracture in horses. not only did it speed up recovery, but made the cartilage stronger.

It makes me wonder how close they are to an improved surgery for humans.

New York Knicks
01-08-2011, 02:35 AM

It's funny when Kobe groupies call out "Jordan groupies" when Kobe's basically Jordan-lite.

Jacks3
01-08-2011, 02:47 AM
And he's still going out there and dropping 25/5/5/55%TS in only 33 MPG.

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Mr. I'm So Rad
01-08-2011, 02:51 AM
And he's still going out there and dropping 25/5/5/55%TS in only 33 MPG.

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Hellz yea :cheers:

SSSTRESSS
01-08-2011, 03:29 AM

An excuse for what? Titles? lol j@ckass

Walduś
01-08-2011, 03:42 AM
It's funny when Kobe groupies call out "Jordan groupies" when Kobe's basically Jordan-lite.
lol except jordan groupies are all well over 30. :oldlol:

JohnWall2
01-08-2011, 03:43 AM
:lol

Killer_Instinct
01-08-2011, 03:54 AM
As a Kobe/Laker fan and supporter....

JohnWall2
01-08-2011, 03:54 AM
As a Kobe/Laker fan and supporter....

:lol :lol

OrlandoAnderson
01-08-2011, 04:34 AM
http://i.zdnet.com/blogs/nelson-muntz.gif

about time this bag of bones gets his just desserts

JohnWall2
01-08-2011, 04:35 AM
^ :lol

PrimeJohnnyDepp
01-08-2011, 06:48 AM
Kobe has cartilidge, he just thinks he doesn't have it because he's been reading a lot of Roy/Oden stories, and is a reverse placebo effect.

Laker staff knows this, Let Kobe Have This, they say. He plays best when he feels like a wounded soldier. He still sometimes thinks his bed is an abandoned island, and the sand will absorb the wee-wee.

LilBTheBasedGod
01-08-2011, 07:35 AM
Its from taking so many BJs from Shaq back in his prime.

JohnWall2
01-08-2011, 08:01 AM
Its from taking so many BJs from Shaq back in his prime.
:lol

MMM
01-08-2011, 09:13 AM
He needs consider getting micro-fracture knee surgery...it will regrow his cartilage.

I have enough confidence will be playing back to his 09 season if he does take this procedure. He is dedicated and hard enough of a worker too. See Amare Stoudemire as another player who worked his ass off to get his game back despite getting micro-fracture knee surgery. Another would be Kenyon Martin.

It is much harder to recover from micro fracture surgery at Kobe's age. I doubt he would ever return to 09 season form if he were to get the procedure. In fact it would probably be the end of his career not a prolongation of it.

necya
01-08-2011, 10:57 AM
[QUOTE=MichaelAngelo]

Chris Quinn
01-08-2011, 11:00 AM
damn

gts
01-08-2011, 12:14 PM
funny you should mention that. I just read last night that they have used stem cells with microfracture in horses. not only did it speed up recovery, but made the cartilage stronger.

It makes me wonder how close they are to an improved surgery for humans.thanks for pming me the link on that it's a good read

here it is for other folks too.. not to heavy and a good read
http://www.thehorse.com/ViewArticle.aspx?ID=17461

Johnni Gade
01-08-2011, 12:22 PM
Lets hope for the sake of basketball that he stays healthy

Heilige
01-08-2011, 12:28 PM

EDIT: nvm

LA_Showtime
01-08-2011, 01:11 PM
I used to think Kobe would stick around until age 38 or 39. Now I think he'll leave the game a lot earlier than most people expect, maybe even in the next year or two. He has followed the game almost religiously; he knows what happens when players stay too long.

NoGunzJustSkillz
01-13-2011, 03:20 PM

IGOTGAME
01-13-2011, 03:31 PM
dude, you won't be able to walk if it's almost bone on bone...blablabla
Tell that to Jonathan Bender.