PDA

View Full Version : Did you all see what Rondo just did?

Premeditated
01-08-2011, 09:40 PM
:facepalm

He stole the pass from Rose and went for the fast-break. He was by himself. There wasn't anyone within 20 feet from him to block his shot. But he slowed down to wait for Ray Allen and passed it to him so he can get an assist.

smh.

pete's montreux
01-08-2011, 09:42 PM
I'm glad he did it. Pad those f*cking stats.

Premeditated
I know he already love to pad his stats but why make it so blatantly obvious?

even the color commentators said it.

D12"Magic"
:wtf:

Jodie Meeks
:roll: Whata whore...

Theoo
01-08-2011, 09:45 PM
yeas good the put robinsan into the game almost block rose

Premeditated
01-08-2011, 09:46 PM
smh @ giving up a free layup.

thats alright Rondo. Do your thing baby. get your shine on. whore up them stats.

coin24
Newsflash.. Rondo is a F A G...:oldlol:

I love how people on here call him a top 3 PG etc.. Put him in any other situation and he is a nobody.. Who couldnt rack up assists on that celtics squad????

jasonresno
I got no problem with him doing it. I just think it's funny as hell that he does it and all of his jock riders deny that he does it. Pretty blatant now :P.

BlackWhiteGreen
01-08-2011, 09:47 PM
I find it funny people moan about stats being used as a rough guide to comparing players, but complain when someone stat pads? hmmm

dwadefan11
It's kind of a mixed bag because he is stat padding so we have to take his assists with a grain of salt but... In the playoffs and key games getting Ray going with a layup may help him knock down his 3's which would help the Celtics win games, which is a smart point guard thing to do.

MagicMoose
What time of the game was this?

BlackWhiteGreen
01-08-2011, 09:48 PM
Newsflash.. Rondo is a F A G...:oldlol:

I love how people on here call him a top 3 PG etc.. Put him in any other situation and he is a nobody.. Who couldnt rack up assists on that celtics squad????

Nate Robinson? :confusedshrug:

coin24
01-08-2011, 09:48 PM
Thats why people that use stats only to compare players are morons...

You can always tell they never watch the games.

BlackWhiteGreen
01-08-2011, 09:49 PM
Thats why people that use stats only to compare players are morons...

You can always tell they never watch the games.

if stats are meaningless, why care about stat padding?

Premeditated
01-08-2011, 09:50 PM
I find it funny people moan about stats being used as a rough guide to comparing players, but complain when someone stat pads? hmmm
I don't compare players by stats. which is why I say Kobe is better than Lebron and Rose is better than Rondo. Stats are so misleading.

L.Kizzle
Everybody stats pads.

All of your favorite swingmen either hold the ball or shot a half court heave right after the buzzer goes off like they don't know how much time is left.

jasonresno
edit: wrong thread.

pete's montreux
Roughly 25-40% of all assists are BS so I'm not worried.

coin24
01-08-2011, 09:51 PM
Nate Robinson? :confusedshrug:

:roll: :roll: :roll: you got me there!:applause:

BlackWhiteGreen
I don't compare players by stats. which is why I say Kobe is better than Lebron and Rose is better than Rondo. Stats are so misleading.

So why the f*ck are you bothered about him stat padding then if you dont compare players by stats?

Monkey D Dragon

He stole the pass from Rose and went for the fast-break. He was by himself. There wasn't anyone within 20 feet from him to block his shot. But he slowed down to wait for Ray Allen and passed it to him so he can get an assist.

smh.

Its PG job and also much as Rondo likes assist he loves getting his teammates going.

Also Ray was right there so why not feed him ? :confusedshrug:

Only ppl who play PG position and understand basketball might understand what Rondo was doing

jasonresno
01-08-2011, 09:53 PM
Its PG job and also much as Rondo likes assist he loves getting his teammates going.

He wasn't right there. Rondo got past halfcourt, literally waited a full second for Allen to catch up, and then bounce passed it to him. The reason everyones talking about it is because it sort of jarred the flow of the game. It was very blatant imo. Again, not that there's anything wrong with it. But that wasn't within the flow of the game. It was completely to +1 his assists for the night.

coin24
01-08-2011, 09:54 PM
if stats are meaningless, why care about stat padding?

Did i say meaningless???

I said people that use stats ONLY as a base for there argument when comparing players are morons. You cant say that you get a decent knowledge of a player purely by the boxscore...

I couldnt care less about supposed stat padding, but not taking an open layup is pathetic.

Theoo
01-08-2011, 09:55 PM
he is a better 3pt shoter

Jodie Meeks
01-08-2011, 09:56 PM
It would be epic if he broke Skiles record tonight.:oldlol:

B
01-08-2011, 09:56 PM
lol this thread. Rondo makes the basket instead of passing and all his critics are going to be screaming he only makes wide open layups.

He passed up two points for an assist, is this really worth a thread?

Premeditated
01-08-2011, 09:57 PM

Only ppl who play PG position and understand basketball might understand what Rondo was doing
Ray Allen wasn't right there. He slowed down for like a good 4 seconds for one of his teammates to come and add his assist up.:roll:

this is worse than Andray Blatche getting upset about Nick Young grabbing a rebound he wanted so he could get a triple-double.

Floppy
01-08-2011, 09:58 PM
Padding assists.

What a selfish **** completely destroying the flow of the game.

Monkey D Dragon
01-08-2011, 09:59 PM
He wasn't right there. Rondo got past halfcourt, literally waited a full second for Allen to catch up, and then bounce passed it to him. The reason everyones talking about it is because it sort of jarred the flow of the game. It was very blatant imo. Again, not that there's anything wrong with it. But that wasn't within the flow of the game. It was completely to +1 his assists for the night.

Yea i understand but Also It gives Ray easy 2 points. IF Bulls didnt slack and ran back and if they were near Ray and Rondo force the pass thats a different story, But Rondo looked back and clearly saw Ray was the only one running back so he decided to feed his teammate.

Rondo would of got 2points or He could of done what he did and get 1 assist and 2 points for Allen which is better for the team.

coin24
[QUOTE=B

Premeditated
[QUOTE=B

Monkey D Dragon
Ray Allen wasn't right there. He slowed down for like a good 4 seconds for one of his teammates to come and add his assist up.:roll:

this is worse than Andray Blatche getting upset about Nick Young grabbing a rebound he wanted so he could get a triple-double.

Dont need to read the rest after 4 sec.

Go watch the game

montaownedu
01-08-2011, 10:01 PM
Isn't this what you want your point guard doing? Getting his teammates involved for easy baskets? It's not like he passed up an easy shot to get an assist for a harder shot.

B
01-08-2011, 10:02 PM
no they won't. You're just trying to find any justification about this.You're trying too hard to make a big deal out of nothing. He's a point guard, point guards pass the ball, he passed the ball because he's a point guard, see spot run, go enjoy the game

jasonresno
01-08-2011, 10:03 PM
Isn't this what you want your point guard doing? Getting his teammates involved for easy baskets? It's not like he passed up an easy shot to get an assist for a harder shot.
No, he passed up an empty gym layup :lol

I'm loving people trying to explain that pass as anything other than stat padding. I'll tell you this much: if LBJ did it you guys would be all over him.

Jasi
01-08-2011, 10:04 PM
So why the f*ck are you bothered about him stat padding then if you dont compare players by stats?

Not sure if serious...

We have a professional bball player who cares so much about his own stats, that he slows down to wait for his teammate and get an assist.
This thing is ridiculous per se, no matter what anyone thinks about statpadding.

If anything, not caring about stats is a further reason to be bothered.
"I don't care about stats myself, and I am just an NBA fan... and YOU who are supposed to be a pro, care about your own stats so much?"

Premeditated
01-08-2011, 10:05 PM
I'm bothered because he is trying to ring up his numbers instead of going with the flow of the game. Even the announce team couldn't avoid such blatant whoring. I don't care about stats. but i care when someone is trying to fukk up a rotation and flow of a basketball game. This isn't the All- Stars.

but of course looking at your avi, i'm positive that your unbiased:rolleyes:

Monkey D Dragon
01-08-2011, 10:05 PM

I'm loving people trying to explain that pass as anything other than stat padding. I'll tell you this much: if LBJ did it you guys would be all over him.

LBJ aint a PG and also Rondo always feed the ball first

LeBron just takes what he can get or the other way around takes whatever he wants.

dwadefan11
01-08-2011, 10:09 PM
Still better than fish: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85cZB9O_LkE

The padding is crazy but point guards are supposed to get their scorers going

Mr. Jabbar
01-08-2011, 10:10 PM
LOL

Premeditated
01-08-2011, 10:10 PM
it doesn't matter. what if he'd of done this but Rose or some of the Bulls players would have caught up to steal the pass. Duke was all by himself. there was no one within 15-20 feet of him.

LA_Showtime
01-08-2011, 10:12 PM

LeBron did do this. :oldlol: He did it in his first ever game.

Anyways, I don't see what the problem is. Rondo can't shoot; Ray Allen obviously can. Why not give Allen another shot and help him either get in a rhythm or keep him happy?

Walduś
lebron taught him well. :applause:

jasonresno
LeBron did do this. :oldlol: He did it in his first ever game.

Anyways, I don't see what the problem is. Rondo can't shoot; Ray Allen obviously can. Why not give Allen another shot and help him either get in a rhythm or keep him happy?
You're telling me Rondo cannot make a layup when he's the only one on that half of the court?

Again, I've got no problem with it, I just think all of this justification for a blatant move is hilarious.

ProfessorMurder
01-08-2011, 10:14 PM
We have a professional bball player who cares so much about his own stats, that he slows down to wait for his teammate and get an assist.
This thing is ridiculous per se, no matter what anyone thinks about statpadding.

Ray missed his 3 previous shots. Rondo just gave him an easy bucket. I wasn't expecting the Bulls staff to hand out an assist for that.

Bernie Nips
01-08-2011, 10:16 PM
LeBron James did the exact same thing in his first game and was praised for it. Weird.

Jasi
Ray missed his 3 previous shots. Rondo just gave him an easy bucket. I wasn't expecting the Bulls staff to hand out an assist for that.

Do you really think that an easy layup will help Ray's confidence?
Or that Rondo elaborated all this during the play?
I honestly think he just saw an assist coming...

Jodie Meeks

Captain justifier over here...:oldlol:

sh0wtime
Thats why many people need to stop defining and ranking passing ability, court vision based on assist average. Assists have more to do with balldomination (playing PG) and how much you pass. In Rondos case, he dominates the ball like hell and plays alot and passes up anything almost all the time, open jumpshots or open layups/dunks just so he can get assists instead.

jasonresno
01-08-2011, 10:17 PM
LeBron James did the exact same thing in his first game and was praised for it. Weird.
A rookie superstar in his first game ever was praised for deferring to his new teammates?

That is pretty damn weird.

brantonli
01-08-2011, 10:18 PM
That is definitely stat padding your assists. No way to beat around the bush. You pass up a wide open layup to pass it to a guy who is actually behind you for the layup? I can understand if the guy is in front of you, or if there's one defender there, but......:facepalm Sometimes I'd also understand if you've got a dunker on the receiving end, you pass it off to make the play more spectacular, to get the crowd energised, but this?

sh0wtime

Thats called unselfishness, but when you do it that much as Rondo, that means you want assists rather than points on your statsheet.

Premeditated
You're telling me Rondo cannot make a layup when he's the only one on that half of the court?

Again, I've got no problem with it, I just think all of this justification for a blatant move is hilarious.
exactly. isn't the glow-warm known for being automatic for his layups?

smh @ homers sweating so hard to find an excuse for this.

Derka
01-08-2011, 10:19 PM
Four completely useless pages of posts on an abhorrently stupid topic that none of you can ever un-type. Grats.

Bernie Nips
So when LeBron does it its unselfishness... Yeah, he didn't want the assist at all.

dwadefan11
Thats why many people need to stop defining and ranking passing ability, court vision based on assist average. Assists have more to do with balldomination (playing PG) and how much you pass. In Rondos case, he dominates the ball like hell and plays alot and passes up anything almost all the time, open jumpshots or open layups/dunks just so he can get assists instead.

The thing that would be interesting to see is if Rondo's efficiency is higher or lower for instance. Like I always thought if Rose was on this Celttics team they would be unreal, but maybe Rondos style is most efficient for this team. But maybe passing up open jumpers/layups is less efficient.

And in playoffs this can be a very dangerous approach as teams like the Lakers sometimes disregard Rondo alltogether.

jasonresno
01-08-2011, 10:20 PM
Four completely useless pages of posts on an abhorrently stupid topic that none of you can ever un-type. Grats.
He mad.

Derka
01-08-2011, 10:21 PM
He mad.

...yeah, cos I'm the guy whining on the internet about a kid passing the basketball. You got me.

You unoriginal.

Monkey D Dragon

And ur part of it :facepalm

jasonresno
...yeah, cos I'm the guy whining on the internet about a kid passing the basketball. You got me.

You unoriginal.
You're right. I'm just padding my post count :lol

AJ2k8
Who gives a f*ck? Dude can do whatever he wants with a steal that leads to a fast break that's that good. Why not reward the next bloke who's gonna run up the court with ya?:cheers:

ProfessorMurder
01-08-2011, 10:22 PM

Yeah, making a shot always helps. Rondo knew he would get an assist, but there is a reason for doing it.

I don't see what the big deal is. 2 points, or hesitate with no defenders on the same half of the court and get an assist. It's no Ricky Davis.

Rose
01-08-2011, 10:22 PM
He did it, the only thing that matters. Is that now we can all have definitive proof that Rondo pads his stats.
And also Rose is better for at least the first half of this game lol

Derka
01-08-2011, 10:23 PM
You're right. I'm just padding my post count :lol

You'd be funnier if you weren't so mad at Rondo being a better point guard than your guy :D

Derka
01-08-2011, 10:23 PM
He did it, the only thing that matters. Is that now we can all have definitive proof that Rondo pads his stats.
And also Rose is better for at least the first half of this game lol

Kid wants to pad his assist stats, I don't care what team he plays for...let him do it.

Premeditated
01-08-2011, 10:24 PM
lol @ comparing him to Lebron. As much as I hate on Lebron, atleast he does it when he knows he has to. Rondo would rather look hard for an assist then shoot an uncontested 5 foot jumper.

Rizko
01-08-2011, 10:24 PM
This. Rondo handed Ray the ball at the top of the key, Ray dribbled like 3 times and then layed it up. It shouldn't have even been counted as an assist anyways.

Jodie Meeks
01-08-2011, 10:25 PM
You'd be funnier if you weren't so mad at Rondo being a better point guard than your guy :D

Tell'em why you mad brah.:oldlol:

Derka
01-08-2011, 10:25 PM
Tell'em why you mad brah.:oldlol:

This is seriously a thread criticizing a guy for passing the ball. I am far from mad, brah.

Rose
01-08-2011, 10:26 PM
Kid wants to pad his assist stats, I don't care what team he plays for...let him do it.
I was just kidding. I don't give a shit if he pads his stats, just don't deny he does. I dont know if you yourself are guilty of saying he doesn't but I KNOW people on are here. Which is the point of this thread.

magnax1
So? Point guards do that all the time.

jasonresno
Look at the box score brother. Rose is shitting on Rondo. But nah not taking that bait. Peacing out of this thread haha.

Jasi
lol @ comparing him to Lebron. As much as I hate on Lebron, atleast he does it when he knows he has to. Rondo would rather look hard for an assist then shoot an uncontested 5 foot jumper.

That would be definitely a wise thing to do.

Premeditated
01-08-2011, 10:30 PM
yo...lets be honest. Put Rose on Celtics, they're a dynasty. Put Rondo on Bulls, 30 win team. Deep down in your heart you know. Rose is a better player and more clutch, can take over a basketball game and can't be guarded. Rondo has no impact what so ever.

Floppy
01-08-2011, 10:30 PM
And ur part of it :facepalm

Probably the dumbest popular argument on the internet.

LA_Showtime
01-08-2011, 10:57 PM

No, what I'm saying is that I'd rather have Ray Allen make a shot to potentially build his confidence rather than have Rondo do the same since he hardly shoots anyway.

LA_Showtime
01-08-2011, 10:58 PM
If you guys want to *****, then blame the other team for not running back faster and stopping Ray Allen. It's not Rondo's fault he can stop at half court with nobody defending/chasing him.

jasonresno
01-08-2011, 10:59 PM
No, what I'm saying is that I'd rather have Ray Allen make a shot to potentially build his confidence rather than have Rondo do the same since he hardly shoots anyway.
:oldlol: I'm sure making an empty court layup after bricking a bunch of jumpers really makes him feel better. And even more I'm sure that's exactly what was running through Rondos head. Whatever though this shouldn't even be a thread. I don't care that he did it (which I've said over and over) I think it's funny and it's proof he pads his stats. And that's fine. It's just proof is all.

yobore
01-08-2011, 11:07 PM
I would say that adding a 1-1 to the FGA-FGM column and 2 points is universally considered more impressive to stats than 1 assist. Don't know the details but it definitely heavier weighted by advanced stats

anyone would rather have 10-10 field goals than 10 assists on their stat sheet.

however, if it's guaranteed points either way, it's better for chemistry and getting players going to share the stats. I didn't watch so i dont know for sure, but if he had a guaranteed layup either way, better to pass it off

Premeditated
01-08-2011, 11:08 PM
anyone thinking what Rondo did to was to built Allen's confidence is in denial. Like you know what's going through his head. Allen been in the league for 15 years. you really thinks by making an uncontested layup is gonna help him shoot 3s better? when the guy is on fire, he's on fire. A layup isn't going to help a future HOF make his 3s after that. It happens or it don't.

LA_Showtime
01-08-2011, 11:29 PM
anyone thinking what Rondo did to was to built Allen's confidence is in denial. Like you know what's going through his head. Allen been in the league for 15 years. you really thinks by making an uncontested layup is gonna help him shoot 3s better? when the guy is on fire, he's on fire. A layup isn't going to help a future HOF make his 3s after that. It happens or it don't.

Denial, eh? Okay. Well the I'll tell you like it is. Rondo wanted the assist. Ray probably wanted the basket. He passed the ball. If you care about this, then you're a douche. Period. It's not like this particular play won or lost the game for Boston. Get over it and stop bitching.

Lebron23
01-09-2011, 12:11 AM
Classic Case of Stats padding.

d.bball.guy
01-09-2011, 12:13 AM
He wants assists more than points.

XxSMSxX
01-09-2011, 12:22 AM
Classic Case of Stats padding.

Why wouldn't he just pad his scoring since he clearly is better at passing than scoring :confusedshrug:

MMM
01-09-2011, 12:24 AM

He passes it back to Ray beyond the 3 point line though. I was shocked that the Bulls scorers gave him an assist for that.

Glide2keva
01-09-2011, 12:25 AM
I was called every name in the book and was told I'm making things up just to hate on Rondo. I've been saying for weeks that he passes up open layups just to pad his assists. I even got argued up and down about how wrong I was. And then what does he do?

He goes right out and does exactly what I've been saying.

Apologies are in order.

Hondo
01-09-2011, 12:29 AM
I missed the game today. Anyone have a video of this?

I have been growing frustrated with Rondo's game lately. Against the Spurs he was great, but against the Raptors in the last game, Rondo was ass. He is playing too cocky, and pulling some dumb shit. Some god-awful passes.

Living Being
01-09-2011, 12:59 PM
Maybe he expected Ray to dunk it? (Didn't see the play)

It would be justified if it was an alley-oop....like off the backboard or something.

Glide2keva
01-09-2011, 01:03 PM
Maybe he expected Ray to dunk it? (Didn't see the play)

It would be justified if it was an alley-oop....like off the backboard or something.
You didn't see it, so no, you have no opinion on it.

BlackWhiteGreen
01-09-2011, 01:03 PM
I was called every name in the book and was told I'm making things up just to hate on Rondo. I've been saying for weeks that he passes up open layups just to pad his assists. I even got argued up and down about how wrong I was. And then what does he do?

Apologies are in order.

You make it sound (and have done in previous arguments) like he does it 14 times a game. :facepalm He might do it once every 10 games.

Glide2keva
01-09-2011, 01:04 PM
Every time I see Rondo, he does it. You guys might not acknowledge it, but I know what I see.

BlackWhiteGreen
01-09-2011, 01:09 PM
Every time I see Rondo, he does it. You guys might not acknowledge it, but I know what I see.

Proof, please. I've watched all but two Celtics games this year, and I can remember him passing up a wide open layup twice, including last night (which was a dunk I think, to answer the guy on the previous page).

Premeditated
01-09-2011, 01:12 PM
Proof, please. I've watched all but two Celtics games this year, and I can remember him passing up a wide open layup twice, including last night (which was a dunk I think, to answer the guy on the previous page).
don't play stupid, it wasn't a dunk.

it wasn't a alley oop either like what somebody else thought.

BlackWhiteGreen
01-09-2011, 01:13 PM
don't play stupid, it wasn't a dunk.

it wasn't a alley oop either like what somebody else thought.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giJNO8_cg-s says otherwise.

Glide2keva
01-09-2011, 01:15 PM
Wide open layup and he throws a risky pass to get bailed out by Ray Allen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyYgNnwKZVs

Miserio
01-09-2011, 01:16 PM
Seen Rondo play much? :lol :lol I wouldnt trust him to shoot anything except an open layup:lol :lol :lol
It looks like you have a year without watching him

BlackWhiteGreen
01-09-2011, 01:18 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyYgNnwKZVs

Seriously? Where he was being challenged by a guy at the rim, he kicks it out for a 3? Just because it's a difficult pass doesn't mean it was a bad one. There was one I can remember that was like that but he was actually in 5 feet of space and he kicked it for a midrange jump shot.

Niquesports
01-09-2011, 01:30 PM
I didn't see the play but reading the post I'm wondering whats the fuss about. Does anyone think he stole the ball and said "Oh let me get a assist used telepathic message to Ray to run down and come get the pass. By the way why didn't Big Baby or PP run down was Ray stat padding his points.:facepalm

Jasi
01-09-2011, 01:37 PM
I didn't see the play but reading the post I'm wondering whats the fuss about. Does anyone think he stole the ball and said "Oh let me get a assist used telepathic message to Ray to run down and come get the pass. By the way why didn't Big Baby or PP run down was Ray stat padding his points.:facepalm

There you go
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giJNO8_cg-s

If that's not stat-padding then I don't know what stat-padding is

OmniStrife
01-09-2011, 01:44 PM
You stupid twats, what the hell is so stat-padding about an assist to a teammate???? :facepalm

ballup
01-09-2011, 01:50 PM
I actually missed that play last night because I had to make a quick run to do an errand, but I watched the video this morning. Really? Guys are complaining about that? He did the same exact thing before with Perkins two seasons ago when he wasn't even in the top point guard discussion. Rondo wants his teammates to gain confidence in their game. Technically, that's not even an assist. Ray takes at least 4 steps after he caught the ball.

DCL
01-09-2011, 02:24 PM
that was just a pathetic display of desperate stat padding

Zack Ryder
01-09-2011, 03:10 PM

smh.

:facepalm :facepalm

jasonresno
01-09-2011, 03:14 PM
There you go

Come on man, get real. Rondo was just showing off his incredible court vision, his God like basketball IQ, and his ability to be the catalyst of play making.

:lol

BlackWhiteGreen
01-09-2011, 03:33 PM
Come on man, get real. Rondo was just showing off his incredible court vision, his God like basketball IQ, and his ability to be the catalyst of play making.

:lol

Notice who turned the ball over on the play? You can overanalyse 1 play if you want, and on that one Rose was displaying his great court vision to pick Rondo out for the pass.

jasonresno
01-09-2011, 03:38 PM
This message is hidden because BlackWhiteGreen is on your ignore list.

And not a single fhuck was given. :lol

Miserio
01-09-2011, 04:25 PM
And not a single fhuck was given. :lol
Notice who turned the ball over on the play? You can overanalyse 1 play if you want, and on that one Rose was displaying his great court vision to pick Rondo out for the pass.

gts
01-09-2011, 04:32 PM
Notice who turned the ball over on the play? You can overanalyse 1 play if you want, and on that one Rose was displaying his great court vision to pick Rondo out for the pass.he was padding his turnover stats

ATL_Bball_King
01-09-2011, 04:33 PM
Rondo has a chance to go for all time assists in a season...Shit every one counts... To him he is thinking... "Oh an easy assist" instead of "Oh and easy bucket..."

BlackWhiteGreen
01-09-2011, 04:34 PM
he was padding his turnover stats

:oldlol: this.

Rondo did pretty badly in padding his turnovers last night, he'll be disappointed

Jeannot
01-09-2011, 04:35 PM

ITS ROBINSON FFS :facepalm

ProfessorMurder
01-09-2011, 04:37 PM
Holy shit, how are you people still be arguing about a pass?

Jeannot
01-09-2011, 04:37 PM
Rondo has a chance to go for all time assists in a season...Shit every one counts... To him he is thinking... "Oh an easy assist" instead of "Oh and easy bucket..."

Finally someone understands. Also when he set that NBA record for most assists in 5 games he knew he had a shot. Now he couldnt play for a few games, so he wants to catch up. Call him a whore, it would be pretty amazing if he get that nba record.

Rose
01-09-2011, 04:39 PM
He's missed 10-11 games already. He doesn't have a shot now.

Rose
01-09-2011, 04:39 PM
GO Away Kobe stan.:roll:

Jeannot
01-09-2011, 04:40 PM

Yeah its pretty amazing lol. Also he sharing it with ray allen who had been off all night seemed like a good move.

tpols
01-09-2011, 04:40 PM
Just saw the play and it wasn't a bad play. He traded an easy layup for an easy layup. That's it.

As long as rondo's so called 'stat-padding' doesn't lose the team opportunities(which it never does) and he keeps playing great and boston keeps winning he's doing his job.

I mean the man has had multiple triple doubles, and 20+ assist games. Rondo averages 14 a game and is far and away the assist king. I can see 2 or 3 stat padding assists a game but he would still be the league leader in assists if you subtracted those amounts.:oldlol:

Rondo's combo of defense/stealing ability, rebounding, transition play, playmaking, and passing ability is the best in the league for any PG and those are the purest PG essentials.

Jeannot
01-09-2011, 04:41 PM

Well maybe not. Still 82 assist in 5 games was amazing.

Rose
01-09-2011, 04:46 PM
Well maybe not. Still 82 assist in 5 games was amazing.
The record is 1,164.

He has 336 right now. not happening.

Aside from the fact he was padding those, sure.

pete's montreux
01-09-2011, 04:52 PM
The record is 1,164.

He has 336 right now. not happening.

Aside from the fact he was padding those, sure.

So because of one play he padded every single assist this season?

You Rose fans are so unbelievably desperate It's not even funny.

The_Yearning
01-09-2011, 04:55 PM
There you go

Even Ray-Ray was surprised. He looked pretty awkward scoring that ball.

BlackWhiteGreen
01-09-2011, 04:57 PM

Nope, apparently his "assist of the night" for a wide open Ray 3 was stat padding too.

Kblaze8855
01-09-2011, 05:35 PM
I guess he didnt hurt anything. But it is pretty...odd...that hes clearly thinking of his numbers at a moment like that.

Ive often seen him drive and meet just the least bit of resistance and try to dump it off for a 3 or wrap a pass around a guy to a teammate in no better position than him. Its been kinda odd...but I didnt expect him to make it that obvious.

On one hand...I remember Lebron doing that once. In his first game in fact. Wiiiiiide open on the break he dumps it off to Ricky Davis trailing. But id say he was just trying to establish that he would be unselfish. Didnt get the feeling he was just out for the assist. Plus Ricky was running hard and I think Lebron was at a dead stop and just handed it off. Rondo slowed down and threw the pass well behind to a guy who was himself slowing up seeming to expect rondo to make the simple play.

Its pretty innocent as far as stat padding goes. But it was obvious as hell. Does put a little bit of a question mark on some of his totals. But....eh.

If you dont judge him by the numbers alone to begin with it shouldnt much impact your opinion of him.

It was kinda weak though. Stat padding always is...but especially when its made THAT obvious. Just kinda makes me wonder..."What are they doing out there? Playing for numbers or wins?". Luckily Rondos play style doesnt allow for genuine questioning of his goal. He wants to win. Goes hard to do so.

For the most part he plays the way id like to see out of more guys.

Its lame...but its not that major I guess.

Batz
01-09-2011, 05:37 PM
What he doesn't do this alot? He always slows down to pass it off to someone for the assist. When he's pass the ball he rarely looks to attack, just patiently looks/waits till a someone gets open and he can get assists. A blind man can figure that out.

Rose
01-09-2011, 05:39 PM

If you honestly don't think he does it at least once or twice a game, you're stupider than I gave you credit for.

Rose
01-09-2011, 05:41 PM
And another thing. like I said in the GT. It's one thing if he passes it to Ray and Ray shoots the three, because if he misses....Rondo can get the rebound boom two points,or at best three. instead Rondo stayed out behind the free throw line even, and ray went inside for a dunk or layup I don't remember which.

Jasi
01-09-2011, 05:44 PM
And another thing. like I said in the GT. It's one thing if he passes it to Ray and Ray shoots the three, because if he misses....Rondo can get the rebound boom two points,or at best three. instead Rondo stayed out behind the free throw line even, and ray went inside for a dunk or layup I don't remember which.

Now that would have been great.
Rondo passes to Ray for the three.
If he misses, Rondo would still have time to get the board and lay it up.

But... He would have missed an assist :D

Rose
01-09-2011, 05:45 PM
Now that would have been great.
Rondo passes to Ray for the three.
If he misses, Rondo would still have time to get the board and lay it up.

But... He would have missed an assist :D
:roll: Exactly. it's the smarter play.

Duranthebest
01-09-2011, 06:01 PM
Strangely enough, I don't have a problem with what Rondo did. Him holding on to the ball for too long waiting for that perfect assists is my gripe with Rondo. If he wants to give an easy one to one of his teammates, so what?

jdm_dc_fan
01-09-2011, 06:58 PM
Sometimes I swear the celtics don't care if they lose to shitty teams. They only bring their A game for certain teams. Anyway rondo saw a win win situation. I would have done it too.

LA_Showtime
01-09-2011, 07:55 PM
If you replaced Rondo with Kobe you would have 20 pages. Just saying.

XxSMSxX
01-09-2011, 08:40 PM

How did this crap even get to 9 pages? Ricky Davis shooting at his own rim probably didn't even get this many pages

asdf1990
01-09-2011, 08:59 PM

if u replaced rondo with lebron u would have 60 pages.

ace_gold_26
01-09-2011, 09:06 PM
I dont think you people understand basketball he did it to get ray allen going sometimes a easy layup gets you going.

jasonresno
01-09-2011, 11:18 PM
I dont think you people understand basketball he did it to get ray allen going sometimes a easy layup gets you going.
That is the dumbest excuse everyones been parroting. I'm sure a prolific shooter who started hot, then got Ded up, is going to feel a lot better after a dunk.

MMM
01-10-2011, 04:03 AM

He has a shot at APG record

No_Look604
01-10-2011, 04:22 AM
hey fcuk faces, stop hating...it's called being a true point guard.

i'm far from being a celtic fan, but even when I balled I would pass up an open lay up to my teammate 100% of the time. it's the classy thing to do.

mind you, I didn't see the highlight....so if it looks completely ridiculous I apologize.

was he going for a triple double?

d.bball.guy
01-10-2011, 05:05 AM
hey fcuk faces, stop hating...it's called being a true point guard.

i'm far from being a celtic fan, but even when I balled I would pass up an open lay up to my teammate 100% of the time. it's the classy thing to do.

mind you, I didn't see the highlight....so if it looks completely ridiculous I apologize.

was he going for a triple double?
We're just surprised about him giving up an open lay up for a risky assist. He's lucky Ray got that 3. Imagine all the Celtics fans hating Rondo if Ray missed that shot.

Da KO King
01-10-2011, 06:37 AM
Anyone that doesn't understand that play has never played PG before.

Jasi
01-10-2011, 06:42 AM
Anyone that doesn't understand that play has never played PG before.

So do you think Magic, Isiah, Maravich, Payton or any other great PG would have done the same? Just asking.

Da KO King
01-10-2011, 08:15 AM
So do you think Magic, Isiah, Maravich, Payton or any other great PG would have done the same? Just asking.
That early in a game when they look back and see: not a single defender even making the effort, and only one of their guys attempting to follow the play, yes. As a PG you want to make sure your guys are always giving effort. Especially in transition offense situations.

Rajon Rondo is not a natural PG and he certainly isn't vocal or assertive enough at times but to me that was a play that should make Doc Rivers happy. Plays like that put the rest of the team on notice that they need to put in effort.

Of course there is no telling with this Celtics team. They are extremely complacent and really do believe they can "switch it on" when it matters. That play either made them wake up or had no impact at all.

Go Getter
01-10-2011, 08:17 AM
I'm on the fence.

On one hand you want him to take the easy 2. On the other hand they made the shot and getting Ray involved is good for the team.

I guess it boils down to motive.

Did he really want to get Ray going or was he thinking about assist numbers?

Who knows:confusedshrug:

me_
01-10-2011, 08:22 AM
Rondo Is A Troll

Kevin_Garnett_5
01-10-2011, 08:26 AM
lol, damn. A 10 page thread on one play? It's funny how ISH continues to try to convince themselves that Rondo is not that good but they can't stop making threads about him. :oldlol:

Kevin_Garnett_5
01-10-2011, 08:29 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyYgNnwKZVsThanks for posting. I almost forgot about this.

AMAZING pass by Rondo.

hkfosho
01-10-2011, 08:29 AM
lol, damn. A 10 page thread on one play? It's funny how ISH continues to try to convince themselves that Rondo is not that good but they can't stop making threads about him. :oldlol:

Because of posters like you, who can't get over the fact that he's a phony. :facepalm

Kevin_Garnett_5
01-10-2011, 08:31 AM
If you honestly don't think he does it at least once or twice a game, you're stupider than I gave you credit for.How are you talking like that as if you watch more Celtic games than him? I've honestly noticed him blatantly give up an easy bucket to get an assist like 3 or 4 total times this season. And it's usually against bad teams.

Kevin_Garnett_5
01-10-2011, 08:32 AM
Because of posters like you, who can't get over the fact that he's a phony. :facepalmI'm not the one making thread, after thread, after thread on him.

hkfosho
01-10-2011, 08:48 AM
I'm not the one making thread, after thread, after thread on him.

but you are the one replying, after replying, after replying through all of them :oldlol: :oldlol: :oldlol:

vinsane01
01-10-2011, 09:11 AM
:lol I think it's pretty clear in the video that he prefers to get the assist than to get the points. And he wants to get more assists because that's how he gets his props.

Kind of a risky thing to do however. I mean the purpose of an offensive possession is to score, and if you have a wide open layup with no defender in sight would you pass it up to your team mate further away from the basket who has a defender close to him? Get real. Any other point guard would lay that in. The only way someone will pass that up is if they want to get fancy.

I dont hate rondo, quite the contrary, i actually like his game. But i do not approve of this play. It's unnecessary and is a clear indication that he just wants to add more assists to his APG. Not that there is anything wrong with that per se, but it may prove costly in certain plays. But ofcourse, if rondo can keep doing his thing and keep his team winning, i dont see any reason to hate on him for these kinds of plays.

Lebron23
01-10-2011, 09:19 AM
He wants to win the assists title.

MMM
01-10-2011, 09:28 AM
He wants to win the assists title.

I think he has that in the bag he is up by 2 APG or something like that

Hittin_Shots
01-10-2011, 10:02 AM
That is the dumbest excuse everyones been parroting. I'm sure a prolific shooter who started hot, then got Ded up, is going to feel a lot better after a dunk.

You don't see how scoring makes a guy more confident? You sir are a knobhead..... Allen shooting shooting confidence > Rondo Shooting confidence for a team...

Fuhqueue
01-10-2011, 10:40 AM
It's not like he passed up an easy shot to get an assist for a harder shot.
Technically, it's actually a lower % shot when someone leading a fastbreak slows up and dishes off to someone else. :lol The highest % shot in that situation is for the player ahead of the pack to finish the play himself.

DeronMillsap
01-10-2011, 10:41 AM
There you go

Allen looked like he was waiting for Rondo to do a lay-up then started running when Rondo passed him the ball. :lol

TonyD
01-10-2011, 10:48 AM
What was the score when he did this?

jasonresno
01-10-2011, 11:30 AM
You don't see how scoring makes a guy more confident? You sir are a knobhead..... Allen shooting shooting confidence > Rondo Shooting confidence for a team...
I don't see how a layup makes an elite jump shooter feel more confident. He didn't think this through. This is the most moronic excuse people have been vomiting since he started everyone that watched the game saw him pad his stats.

It's funny because in the next quarter he had a fastbreak layup and bricked it. Maybe the kid really can't shoot :lol

DeronMillsap
01-10-2011, 11:38 AM
Rondo won't be doing this in the playoffs, he'll get the easy 2 with a lay-up if this was a playoff game.

Celtics are so good that they're starters are just toying around out there. They've been trolling all season long too. i.e. those prank videos from the preseason, KG calling Villanueva a cancer patient, PP and Nate at MSG, PP's twitter on South Beach, etc...

jasonresno
01-10-2011, 11:42 AM
Rondo won't be doing this in the playoffs, he'll get the easy 2 with a lay-up if this was a playoff game.

Celtics are so good that they're starters are just toying around out there. They've been trolling all season long too. i.e. those prank videos from the preseason, KG calling Villanueva a cancer patient, PP and Nate at MSG, PP's twitter on South Beach, etc...
They were down 8 or 9 against the Bulls at that time.

edit: my bad. But that's kind of even worse. Trollin' in a close game. I thought it was later in the game.

DeronMillsap
01-10-2011, 11:45 AM
They were down 8 or 9 against the Bulls at that time.Was this the play?

PurpleChuck
01-10-2011, 11:59 AM
Padding at it's finest.

Oh well, 2 pts anyways.

BlackWhiteGreen
01-10-2011, 12:06 PM
Technically, it's actually a lower % shot when someone leading a fastbreak slows up and dishes off to someone else. :lol The highest % shot in that situation is for the player ahead of the pack to finish the play himself.

Technically no Bulls player was anywhere near them. If Rondo's more bothered about assists and/or Ray is more bothered about FG% or points then the play made sense.

BlackWhiteGreen
01-10-2011, 12:07 PM
Was this the play?

Yes, and nice fail from resno there.

jasonresno
01-10-2011, 12:30 PM
Was this the play?
edit: my bad. But that's kind of even worse. Trollin' in a close game. I thought it was later in the game.

This message is hidden because BlackWhiteGreen is on your ignore list.
And a single fhuck was not given.

ballup
01-10-2011, 01:21 PM
:lol I think it's pretty clear in the video that he prefers to get the assist than to get the points. And he wants to get more assists because that's how he gets his props.

Kind of a risky thing to do however. I mean the purpose of an offensive possession is to score, and if you have a wide open layup with no defender in sight would you pass it up to your team mate further away from the basket who has a defender close to him? Get real. Any other point guard would lay that in. The only way someone will pass that up is if they want to get fancy.

I dont hate rondo, quite the contrary, i actually like his game. But i do not approve of this play. It's unnecessary and is a clear indication that he just wants to add more assists to his APG. Not that there is anything wrong with that per se, but it may prove costly in certain plays. But ofcourse, if rondo can keep doing his thing and keep his team winning, i dont see any reason to hate on him for these kinds of plays.
Watch the play again:

Ray Allen never had anyone close to him since the fast break started. By the time Rondo passed it to Ray, no defender was in 8 feet of him. The closest guy was Taj Gibson I believe and he was jogging back on the play while Ray was running. Not really risky if you ask me. Fancy? I don't see an alley oop or some And1 antics.

hkfosho
01-10-2011, 02:25 PM
Watch the play again:

Ray Allen never had anyone close to him since the fast break started. By the time Rondo passed it to Ray, no defender was in 8 feet of him. The closest guy was Taj Gibson I believe and he was jogging back on the play while Ray was running. Not really risky if you ask me. Fancy? I don't see an alley oop or some And1 antics.

Yes, but it's the very definition of stat padding. A real douchey move indeed.

hkfosho
01-10-2011, 02:27 PM

And yet, they lost that game by more than 10 points. Seemed like the bulls were the ones toying around with them.

R4E
01-10-2011, 02:29 PM

Apologies are in order.

I apologize for all those in denial...and for those who refuse to give you credit for your astute insights.

:oldlol:

hkfosho
01-10-2011, 02:30 PM
Watch the play again:

LOL @ the video description

"Rajon Rondo had about 400 feet of wide open space to the basket for a lay-up but preferred the assist to Ray Allen."

code green
01-10-2011, 02:34 PM
I've heard interviews with Rondo on WEEI, and he's completely obsessed with his assists to turnover ratio. He had 8 turnovers that game, so he wanted to bump it up a little bit.

At the beginning of the season, Doc told him to pick and choose his opportunities to score, but to think "assist, assist, assist" every time down the floor. That's why Rondo passes up open shots. To be honest, I'd rather have it that way because when he's locked in playmaker mode, the Celtics are hard to stop.

DeronMillsap
01-10-2011, 02:39 PM
And yet, they lost that game by more than 10 points. Seemed like the bulls were the ones toying around with them.
You actually think this game will matter in the playoffs?

also, lol @ the idea of the Bulls toying with them. Chicago is good and will be a good team but they're not near Boston's level yet.

NorthernTouch
01-10-2011, 02:43 PM
I've heard interviews with Rondo on WEEI, and he's completely obsessed with his assists to turnover ratio. He had 8 turnovers that game, so he wanted to bump it up a little bit.

Uhh he had 0 turnovers that game..and this was early in the game

hkfosho
01-10-2011, 02:43 PM
You actually think this game will matter in the playoffs?

also, lol @ the idea of the Bulls toying with them. Chicago is good and will be a good team but they're not near Boston's level yet.

Of course this game will matter in the playoffs, if the Bulls were to face Celtics again. It builds up the momentum. And to think the Celtics were toying with them is blasphemous. "but they're not near Boston's level yet." 90-79 numbers don't lie :oldlol:

NorthernTouch
01-10-2011, 02:47 PM
Of course this game will matter in the playoffs, if the Bulls were to face Celtics again. It builds up the momentum. And to think the Celtics were toying with them is blasphemous. "but they're not near Boston's level yet." 90-79 numbers don't lie :oldlol:
I Wont say the Celtics were toying with them but will say KG makes a huge difference in this team when hes on the court, so i wouldn't make too much of a judgement based on this game.

DeronMillsap
01-10-2011, 02:50 PM
They went 1-3 against the Magic and 2-2 against the Cavs during the regular season...then destroyed both teams in the playoffs. I think even the Hawks swept them.

This recent Bulls-C's game won't build any momentum or mean anything in the playoffs.

No, I didn't say they were toying with the Bulls. I said they're toying around in the regular season. Learn to read.

mans1ay3r
01-10-2011, 02:50 PM
goddamn people are obsessed with Rondo. No wonder he got more votes than Rose. "All eyes one me."

If any other PG did this, it would be considered smart. Its keeping another teammate warm. I thought it was common knowledge how a layup can potentially light up a shooter? But oh no it was Rondo. He got an assist and gave a shooter an easy layup. That's killing two birds with one stone.. but oh no its Rondo.. so it must be a negative. :oldlol: It really is true whenever someone is exceptionally good at something, they become hated for it.

I always hated on the Cavs how Lebron would just drive to the hoop and always get a call. But I never cried about it or made topics about it, because I understood why he did it. Cant expect everyone to understand things about players they dislike.

Kevin_Garnett_5
01-10-2011, 03:43 PM
but you are the one replying, after replying, after replying through all of them :oldlol: :oldlol: :oldlol:Not at all. I've only replied in Rondo threads recently to point out that there has been too many Rondo threads. :oldlol:

BlackWhiteGreen
01-10-2011, 03:45 PM
I Wont say the Celtics were toying with them but will say KG makes a huge difference in this team when hes on the court, so i wouldn't make too much of a judgement based on this game.

No cuz Noah iz = ta KG Noah iz da Bess!

Killer_Instinct
01-10-2011, 04:04 PM
I'm bothered because he is trying to ring up his numbers instead of going with the flow of the game. Even the announce team couldn't avoid such blatant whoring. I don't care about stats. but i care when someone is trying to fukk up a rotation and flow of a basketball game.

Yeah, but who the **** are you?

On the subject of the thread, there's nothing wrong with involving your teammates, which is what Rondo did. He's a point guard. ISH has the most PMS-type threads I've seen in my life.

ronniec
01-10-2011, 04:05 PM
goddamn people are obsessed with Rondo. No wonder he got more votes than Rose. "All eyes one me."

If any other PG did this, it would be considered smart. Its keeping another teammate warm. I thought it was common knowledge how a layup can potentially light up a shooter? But oh no it was Rondo. He got an assist and gave a shooter an easy layup. That's killing two birds with one stone.. but oh no its Rondo.. so it must be a negative. :oldlol: It really is true whenever someone is exceptionally good at something, they become hated for it.

I always hated on the Cavs how Lebron would just drive to the hoop and always get a call. But I never cried about it or made topics about it, because I understood why he did it. Cant expect everyone to understand things about players they dislike.

Pass it out or getting 2 points by himself, it was Rondo's choice, and they did convert that basket, so what the freak people are crying about?
For people who appreciate Rondo's game, not only because his assist numbers, but also his vision, passing and court opening skills, hard work and hustle and defensive abilities.
For true Celtics fans, we only care about winning. We don't care if Rondo has 20 assists or how many 3's Ray can sink. We just want a "W" on the score sheet.
Only the Rondo haters keep mentioning the assist thing and make it negative.

jdm_dc_fan
01-10-2011, 05:34 PM
They went 1-3 against the Magic and 2-2 against the Cavs during the regular season...then destroyed both teams in the playoffs. I think even the Hawks swept them.

This recent Bulls-C's game won't build any momentum or mean anything in the playoffs.

No, I didn't say they were toying with the Bulls. I said they're toying around in the regular season. Learn to read.
I have to agree with you because we are on the same page about the celtics. They seem to cruise through the regular season and step up WHEN THEY NEED TO. Good example was the celtics vs the cavs in the playoffs. The heat seem to be doing the opposite and beating their opponents by 10 or more point usually. We will see if they can keep it up until the playoffs.

IMO the only teams in the east that are going to be competitive is orlando, miami and boston. One of these 3 teams is going to get an easy win in the first round aginst the bulls or hawks.

scm5
01-10-2011, 05:58 PM
In the words of Andrew Bynum, "Are you serious?"

I don't give a shit about Rondo wanting the assist rather than the points. Dude is a playmaker and a great distributor of the ball. I am in the group that says very few point guards in the NBA could average as many assists as he does playing on the Celtics, stat padding or not.

R4E
01-10-2011, 06:00 PM
IMO the only teams in the east that are going to be competitive is orlando, miami and boston. One of these 3 teams is going to get an easy win in the first round aginst the bulls or hawks.

I am not sold on Orlando at all yet. Otis Smith had a whole off season to assess his team's needs and weaknesses. And then he makes a colossal trade mid season to save his job? The trade is seemingly working out in terms of regular season wins. But post-season series come down to match-ups and intense defense. The defense player of the year will holdup just fine in the middle...but perimeter defense is a serious problem for the Magic.

Chicago is a new emerging beast in the East. The Bulls have an excellent defensive rookie HC that has particular insights into the workings of the Boston Celtics. The Bulls defense has had a major renovation and restoration. The Bulls' superstar is playing like the MVP of the league and the East, along w/Amare S. Rose is playing at a level now where a serious observer can see that Rose is capable of filing in the gaps of the Bulls needs in a particular post season series. Rose is staying with his penetration longer now and keeping his dribble alive until the point of defensive contact and a foul call by the referees. This tactic will help insure that Rose can produce points nearly every 4th Quarter possession in the post season. Rose is strong enough to take the pounding too. Along with the Bulls more suffocating overall defense, these developments make the Bulls a more viable threat in the East. I would say that Miami, Boston and Orlando ~ Chicago are the favored Eastern teams.

pete's montreux
01-10-2011, 08:49 PM
LMAO he just did literally the exact same play against Houston about a minute ago

tpols
01-10-2011, 08:50 PM
LMAO he just did literally the exact same play against Houston about a minute ago
haha just saw it.. to ray too:oldlol:

Duranthebest
01-10-2011, 08:50 PM
Rondo is a fool for that one. :roll:

Duranthebest
01-10-2011, 08:51 PM
I busted out laughing when he did it again. Cot damn... Haters bout to be :mad:

pete's montreux
01-10-2011, 08:52 PM
I busted out laughing when he did it again. Cot damn... Haters bout to be :mad:

ha me too :roll:

Derka
01-10-2011, 08:53 PM
I love this kid to no end.

asdf1990
01-10-2011, 08:56 PM
rondo passing up wide open looks to pad his assists but failing.

pete's montreux
01-10-2011, 08:57 PM
rondo makes all boston fans :lol

everyone else :mad:

XxSMSxX
01-10-2011, 08:58 PM
I guess Rondo heard everyone on ISH last night :lol

Kblaze8855
01-11-2011, 02:11 AM
Yea it is amusing that he did it again the very next game.

I still love his approach but it is harder to take his numbers serious at the moment. Hes clearly out to produce assists even if its not exactly the most basic play.

Its kinda like Kevin Loves rebounding in a way. Wasnt he quoted saying "There are no selfish rebounds"?

Guys just setting out to produce crazy numbers even if they have to make it obvious that the numbers themselves are the goal make it a little less impressive. Like when Rodman on the Mavs wouldnt play defense so he could rebound.

Just has a little bad taste on it doesnt it?

The Next Jordan
01-11-2011, 02:14 AM
So he likes to get the assist. Did anyone make a 13 page thread to complain when J-Kidd was in his prime running fast breaks and throwing off the backboard passes to K-Mart, RJ, and Vince rather than making an easy open layup?

LA_Showtime
01-11-2011, 02:17 AM
Jesus Christ. Who gives a shit? It's not like Rondo's surrounded by a bunch of inept players. He's passing to all-star caliber talent.

dee-rose
01-11-2011, 02:37 AM
After 14 pages we've developed the idea that rondo likes to pass more than he likes to score. Therefore, he must he a stat padder. Why don't we penalize rose for wanting to score more than pass? Or any other player in the NBA who isn't thinking pass first?

Kblaze8855
01-11-2011, 03:02 AM
I wouldnt say im trying to "penalize" him for it. Just strikes me as odd for a guy mid game to clearly have his final stats flash through his head and make an effort to not simply score an uncontested layup so he can flip a pass back to get the stat hes more concerned with.

Doesnt make him worse. Wilt Chamberlain did it for at least 2 years for the sole putpose of winning the assist title. It happens.

But it is...odd. Seems like something id rather my guys not even have in mind. Not to the point they bypass the most simple plays. Makes me wonder what is in their head when they pass up shots in the halfcourt and dish it off. Going for the assist or just being unselfish?

There is a difference. And there comes a point that offense suffers. Want your PG to get the best shot. Not the shot most likely to result in an assist. If he doesnt post Pierce up when he has the advantage...and instead dribbles around looking to get a quick dump in assist like hes playing 2k11 trying to get a milestone in Myplayer...

Its just a little quesitonable.

Id rather that kind of thing not be so clearly at the front of a point guards mind.

The Next Jordan
01-11-2011, 04:13 AM
http://hoopedia.nba.com/index.php?title=Common_Basketball_Terms

Point Guard
Usually a team's best ballhandler. He leads the offense and distributes the ball to the team's best scorers.

Get over it

Jasi
01-11-2011, 06:13 AM
I wouldnt say im trying to "penalize" him for it. Just strikes me as odd for a guy mid game to clearly have his final stats flash through his head and make an effort to not simply score an uncontested layup so he can flip a pass back to get the stat hes more concerned with.

Doesnt make him worse. Wilt Chamberlain did it for at least 2 years for the sole putpose of winning the assist title. It happens.

But it is...odd. Seems like something id rather my guys not even have in mind. Not to the point they bypass the most simple plays. Makes me wonder what is in their head when they pass up shots in the halfcourt and dish it off. Going for the assist or just being unselfish?

There is a difference. And there comes a point that offense suffers. Want your PG to get the best shot. Not the shot most likely to result in an assist. If he doesnt post Pierce up when he has the advantage...and instead dribbles around looking to get a quick dump in assist like hes playing 2k11 trying to get a milestone in Myplayer...

Id rather that kind of thing not be so clearly at the front of a point guards mind.

This.

/thread

playtetris
01-11-2011, 08:17 AM
i'd actually love to see what rondo would do if ray ray wasn't tailing him. would he loiter around the basket, motioning for his teammates to approach?

i kinda agree with blaze here. when your playmaker is reticent about scoring himself even when it is the right play, then it IS a problem.

cteach111
01-11-2011, 11:22 AM
maybe he should stop doing this since they keep losing games.

I honestly think that little things like this can screw around with the chemistry of the team.

Floppy
01-11-2011, 01:00 PM

I honestly think that little things like this can screw around with the chemistry of the team.
I hope this is sarcasm.

Johnni Gade
01-11-2011, 01:06 PM
haters gon hate.

jjayfive
01-11-2011, 01:39 PM
stat padding, stupidity, or being unselfish..

Rose
01-11-2011, 01:43 PM

Im kinda of waiting for this to become a saying around here.:lol

gts
01-11-2011, 01:47 PM
so when a player steals the ball goes on a one man uncontested fast break and does a high flying thunderous slam dunk he's applauded despite his showboating...

he easily could of just laid it in and gone about his business but instead he's praised and we get 3 instant threads exclaiming "OMG did you just see what's his names slam dunk? GOAT slam dunk he should enter the slam dunk contest" complete with 3 different gifs

but when a player steals the ball and passes it off to one of his teammates for an easy bucket he's stat padding?

tpols
01-11-2011, 01:58 PM

I didn't have much of a problem with rondo's latest pass but I did have a problem with a few other things he did last night.

On one play he took a pick to his right and was cutting down the lane going towards the hoop, and instead of putting it off the glass himself for an easy 5 foot banker while airborne, he whipped it around to someone on the baseline for a jumpshot.

Darkess
01-11-2011, 01:59 PM
so when a player steals the ball goes on a one man uncontested fast break and does a high flying thunderous slam dunk he's applauded despite his showboating...

he easily could of just laid it in and gone about his business but instead he's praised and we get 3 instant threads exclaiming "OMG did you just see what's his names slam dunk? GOAT slam dunk he should enter the slam dunk contest" complete with 3 different gifs

but when a player steals the ball and passes it off to one of his teammates for an easy bucket he's stat padding?

Dunking serves the purpose of exciting the crowd.

Jerry Sloan would have slapped Rondo silly for even considering this move

ProfessorMurder
01-11-2011, 02:09 PM
Dunking serves the purpose of exciting the crowd.

Jerry Sloan would have slapped Rondo silly for even considering this move

:oldlol: You think Jerry Sloan wants to energize the crowd instead of play as a team?

Darkess
01-11-2011, 02:30 PM
:oldlol: You think Jerry Sloan wants to energize the crowd instead of play as a team?

No, Jerry would take a layup over a dunk any day. The pass served no purpose, but a dunk over layup can.

I'm saying Jerry doesn't like thinking about stats AT ALL (except as related to W's). Rondo's play had nothing to do with the game and Jerry would have murdered him out on the court if he was his coach.

zizozain
01-11-2011, 02:35 PM
https://it.housing.berkeley.edu/files/lock-and-key-icon-thumb355812.jpg

where is InspiredLebowski when you need him

Kblaze8855
01-11-2011, 02:39 PM

You saying it isnt? what would you call clearly and beyond all argument pulling up to avoid a layup so you can pass to a guy slowing up himself out of position to get an assist? The team gets the same two points. But he gets the assist. Hes averaging like 14-15 a game. Hes clearly quite aware of that. If its not stat padding to not take the best shot in basketball multiple times for the sole purpose of stacking up a particular stat then what is it?

Hes not getting all these assists out of unheard of passing ability or just...being more unselfish than guys like Nash and Paul have in recent years. hes getting them because hes setting out to generate assists. And there is a difference between being unselfish and trying to create assists. Ive seen Celtic fans say he doesnt feed guys that often who arent in position to score easily. That he will dribble around a little and look for a cutter instead. That he passes for assists not to get someone in better position or position to go one on one when they have an advantage.

I can believe it seeing this. Hes out for the numbers.

Doesnt mean he doesnt want to win. Nobody can question his desire to win. Guy goes hard as hell. Id still take him on my team. Im just saying...hes a stat padder. One of the most obvious and to me...inarguable ones ive ever seen.

Wilt was a stat padder. Jordan was a stat padder that season he got all those triple doubles in a row. Bird was stat padding to get to 60 vs the Hawks. It happens. Great players do it. Rondo...is padding his assists beyond the normal basketball play.

He just is. Doesnt make him evil. But its hard to call it anything but stat padding. And because of it I kinda have to take his assists totals less serious.

Glide2keva
01-11-2011, 02:50 PM
You saying it isnt? what would you call clearly and beyond all argument pulling up to avoid a layup so you can pass to a guy slowing up himself out of position to get an assist? The team gets the same two points. But he gets the assist. Hes averaging like 14-15 a game. Hes clearly quite aware of that. If its not stat padding to not take the best shot in basketball multiple times for the sole purpose of stacking up a particular stat then what is it?

Hes not getting all these assists out of unheard of passing ability or just...being more unselfish than guys like Nash and Paul have in recent years. hes getting them because hes setting out to generate assists. And there is a difference between being unselfish and trying to create assists. Ive seen Celtic fans say he doesnt feed guys that often who arent in position to score easily. That he will dribble around a little and look for a cutter instead. That he passes for assists not to get someone in better position or position to go one on one when they have an advantage.

I can believe it seeing this. Hes out for the numbers.

Doesnt mean he doesnt want to win. Nobody can question his desire to win. Guy goes hard as hell. Id still take him on my team. Im just saying...hes a stat padder. One of the most obvious and to me...inarguable ones ive ever seen.

Wilt was a stat padder. Jordan was a stat padder that season he got all those triple doubles in a row. Bird was stat padding to get to 60 vs the Hawks. It happens. Great players do it. Rondo...is padding his assists beyond the normal basketball play.

He just is. Doesnt make him evil. But its hard to call it anything but stat padding. And because of it I kinda have to take his assists totals less serious.
But when I say this, I'm called every name in the book.

Rose
01-11-2011, 03:00 PM
But when I say this, I'm called every name in the book.
Bulls fan:mad: :mad: :mad:

Premeditated
01-11-2011, 03:40 PM
lets not act like he didn't do it yesterday neither.

http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/9634/statpad.jpg
http://img808.imageshack.us/img808/1001/statpad2.jpg

scust @ whoring yourself like that. have some pride dammit!:oldlol:

here's the one with the Bulls
http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/3867/ron1.jpg
http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/9530/ron2b.jpg
http://img600.imageshack.us/img600/2186/ron3.jpg

looks like he was catching an inbound pass.:roll:

Come and deny this Celtic fans. I dare you.

Premeditated
01-11-2011, 03:50 PM

I honestly don't know how anyone can defend this debauchery.

Premeditated
01-11-2011, 03:52 PM
http://desmond.yfrog.com/Himg615/scaled.php?tn=0&server=615&filename=2rq.png&xsize=640&ysize=640

can anyone guess what happens next?

ronniec
01-11-2011, 04:10 PM
So he likes to get the assist. Did anyone make a 13 page thread to complain when J-Kidd was in his prime running fast breaks and throwing off the backboard passes to K-Mart, RJ, and Vince rather than making an easy open layup?

exactly

Monta_Ellis
01-11-2011, 04:14 PM
Rondoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Kblaze8855
01-11-2011, 05:06 PM
And the Jason Kidd comparison doesnt make sense either. I remember at least 3 of those plays. 2 to Kmart one to Jefferson. The 2 I remember best were vs the Knicks on a legit fast break with defense running with them. It was just a pass to the guy trailing for the dunk but he put it off the backboard. It wasnt being so far out the defense isnt even trying to catch you....the guy behind you slows up because there is no need to keep going...and you slow down/stop and throw the ball way behind you to a guy who had no reason to expect the ball. just for the number.

I dont know if people are blind or stupid on this one.

If you dont care hes stat padding thats fine. But lets not act like its anything else. Just be real about it.

The one this topic was made on was one of the most obvious cases of stat padding ive ever witnessed. wasnt even like say....Gilbert arenas stopping on the break to do a bounce pass alley to Jrich like they did in Golden state early in their careers. He wasnt trying to get the crowd into it or make a great play.

He set out mid play to NOT make the basic play for the express purpose of generating a stat.

If you dont care thats one thing. We dont need to act like Mark Jackson was doing the same thing on a 2 on 1 break flipping it back to Dale Davis for a dunk though.

Ive been watching the NBA for over 25 years and thats as obvious a case of stat padding as ive ever seen.

Glide2keva
01-11-2011, 05:16 PM
http://desmond.yfrog.com/Himg615/scaled.php?tn=0&server=615&filename=2rq.png&xsize=640&ysize=640

Please show us

Glide2keva
01-11-2011, 05:17 PM
lets not act like he didn't do it yesterday neither.

http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/9634/statpad.jpg
http://img808.imageshack.us/img808/1001/statpad2.jpg

scust @ whoring yourself like that. have some pride dammit!:oldlol:

here's the one with the Bulls
http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/3867/ron1.jpg
http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/9530/ron2b.jpg
http://img600.imageshack.us/img600/2186/ron3.jpg

looks like he was catching an inbound pass.:roll:

Come and deny this Celtic fans. I dare you.
I want to see them defend this one.

Rose
01-11-2011, 05:25 PM
And the Jason Kidd comparison doesnt make sense either. I remember at least 3 of those plays. 2 to Kmart one to Jefferson. The 2 I remember best were vs the Knicks on a legit fast break with defense running with them. It was just a pass to the guy trailing for the dunk but he put it off the backboard. It wasnt being so far out the defense isnt even trying to catch you....the guy behind you slows up because there is no need to keep going...and you slow down/stop and throw the ball way behind you to a guy who had no reason to expect the ball. just for the number.

I dont know if people are blind or stupid on this one.

If you dont care hes stat padding thats fine. But lets not act like its anything else. Just be real about it.

The one this topic was made on was one of the most obvious cases of stat padding ive ever witnessed. wasnt even like say....Gilbert arenas stopping on the break to do a bounce pass alley to Jrich like they did in Golden state early in their careers. He wasnt trying to get the crowd into it or make a great play.

He set out mid play to NOT make the basic play for the express purpose of generating a stat.

If you dont care thats one thing. We dont need to act like Mark Jackson was doing the same thing on a 2 on 1 break flipping it back to Dale Davis for a dunk though.

Ive been watching the NBA for over 25 years and thats as obvious a case of stat padding as ive ever seen.
Exactly, I don't give a shit that he does it. Just DONT deny that he does it. Everyone does it, and they'll keep doing it.

Glide2keva
01-11-2011, 05:46 PM
Exactly, I don't give a shit that he does it. Just DONT deny that he does it. Everyone does it, and they'll keep doing it.
Really, and stop getting mad when we call him on it.

pete's montreux
01-11-2011, 05:54 PM
i remember a topic that fatal9 started a while back where he looked at every assist made by rondo and said only two were questionable, out of 24

its obvious there's moments where he stat pads, no denying that, but to say his entire game is based on generating assists is completely asinine, he purposely creates plays to get guys open, he only passes to guys that he knows are open and will shoot the ball

basically every pass he makes leads to someone trying to score, he very rarely makes passes that result in a non shooting play

and to be honest? when i see rondo driving and he has a slight chance to make a layup, and instead he passes to a WIDE open PP/Ray/KG, i'd MUCH rather them take the shot than him, let's not act like he's the greatest finisher in the league, and i think he knows it, rondo knows he's not the greatest offensive player

but when he needs to score? he does ..twice last night he blew by his defender in a half court set untouched to the basket for an uncontested layup

when he wants to score, he does, but lets not act like he should be taking shots over three hall of famers, pass the ball to the offensive juggernauts please

Rose
01-11-2011, 05:54 PM
I don't even give a shit too call him out on it, I just don't want them to deny he does it.

Rose
01-11-2011, 05:55 PM
I agree with everything you said pete, except you'd rather see him pass to Ray/pierce. I think since he's actually a decent finisher he should just finish it, but aside from that I agree entirely.

Glide2keva
01-11-2011, 05:56 PM
i remember a topic that fatal9 started a while back where he looked at every assist made by rondo and said only two were questionable, out of 24

its obvious there's moments where he stat pads, no denying that, but to say his entire game is based on generating assists is completely asinine, he purposely creates plays to get guys open, he only passes to guys that he knows are open and will shoot the ball

basically every pass he makes leads to someone trying to score, he very rarely makes passes that result in a non shooting play

and to be honest? when i see rondo driving and he has a slight chance to make a layup, and instead he passes to a WIDE open PP/Ray/KG, i'd MUCH rather them take the shot than him, let's not act like he's the greatest finisher in the league, and i think he knows it, rondo knows he's not the greatest offensive player

but when he needs to score? he does ..twice last night he blew by his defender in a half court set untouched to the basket for an uncontested layup

when he wants to score, he does, but lets not act like he should be taking shots over three hall of famers, pass the ball to the offensive juggernauts please
So that should bring the value of his assists down some.

pete's montreux
01-11-2011, 06:00 PM
to be honest i dont know why he doesnt look to score as much anymore, maybe he's gunning for the assist title, maybe he's gunning for the record i don't know

but when rondo does RONDO, the celtics offense hits on all cylinders, it's beautiful to watch, players getting bounce passes through 5 guys for an open layup, him driving and drawing defenders passing out to ray and pierce and kg on the wing, fast break trailing threes for ray and pp

rondo doing rondo helps the team and leads to wins

and i agree with glide, ive always said theres a much larger percentage of BS assists in the entire league than people actually realize, but what are you gonna do? theres nothing you CAN do

Jasi
01-11-2011, 06:01 PM

I have to defend him here. He must have been afraid of the COCKBLOCK!

pete's montreux
01-11-2011, 06:02 PM
ive never seen any pg better at drawing in defenders and passing to open players, really

he does it literally 20-30 times a game, he's giving high percentage looks to elite shooters, and he gets assists for it, which are completely deserved

Glide2keva
01-11-2011, 06:05 PM
to be honest i dont know why he doesnt look to score as much anymore, maybe he's gunning for the assist title, maybe he's gunning for the record i don't know

but when rondo does RONDO, the celtics offense hits on all cylinders, it's beautiful to watch, players getting bounce passes through 5 guys for an open layup, him driving and drawing defenders passing out to ray and pierce and kg on the wing, fast break trailing threes for ray and pp

rondo doing rondo helps the team and leads to wins

and i agree with glide, ive always said theres a much larger percentage of BS assists in the entire league than people actually realize, but what are you gonna do? theres nothing you CAN do
I'm just saying that, yeah you can gawk over the high numbers and that's good he's getting them.

24 and 22 assists in one game is still 24 and 22 in one game. No matter how you look at it. My only problem with him is when I see him do things like this and get credit like he did something spectacular.

pete's montreux
01-11-2011, 06:06 PM
I'm just saying that, yeah you can gawk over the high numbers and that's good he's getting them.

24 and 22 assists in one game is still 24 and 22 in one game. No matter how you look at it. My only problem with him is when I see him do things like this and get credit like he did something spectacular.

I don't know why anyone would gawk over a play like that. If they did, they're idiots.

Glide2keva
01-11-2011, 06:08 PM
I don't know why anyone would gawk over a play like that. If they did, they're idiots.
I was saying gawk at his high assist numbers.

pete's montreux
01-11-2011, 06:10 PM
I was saying gawk at his high assist numbers.

Well he's doing a lot of work. He's making the right plays. If a PG passes the ball to an OPEN player, he's doing his job and should get all the credit he deserves. 20+ assists is spectacular, period.

HB40TheNextStar
01-11-2011, 07:20 PM
lol @ stats not mattering. If you went by the eye test, JR Smith would be better than Kobe.

jasonresno
01-11-2011, 07:34 PM
lol @ stats not mattering. If you went by the eye test, JR Smith would be better than Kobe.
Using whose eyes? JRs?

B
01-11-2011, 08:21 PM
Rondo haters really got their Panties in a twist over this! Can't believe there are people writing essays about it. That's some funny stuff. Who cares what he does as long as he doesn't turn the ball over.

tpols
01-11-2011, 08:28 PM

22 assists is still spectacular. And if you took off the 10% of so-called 'padded assists', which is a generous figure, he'd still be the assist leader so far...

jdm_dc_fan
01-11-2011, 09:06 PM
I don't even give a shit too call him out on it, I just don't want them to deny he does it.
I look at it as rondo trying to get all his team mates into their rhythm. To be honest his stat padding or not, im more amazed how he could have those games where he gets 10+ rebounds. The guy is 6'1" and has to share the paint with KG, perkins and 2 oneil's.

Glide2keva
01-11-2011, 09:16 PM
22 assists is still spectacular. And if you took off the 10% of so-called 'padded assists', which is a generous figure, he'd still be the assist leader so far...
I was saying, you can't anything away from those games.