PDA

View Full Version : The NBA's most prolific fighters

G.O.A.T
01-09-2011, 03:08 AM
Got a cool email from a friend this afternoon who tracked down some numbers on fights within basketball games.

Here's the list of the players who were primarily involved in the most fights since 1980 and some of the notables they fought against. The NBA's top ten most prolific pugilists if you will:

Bill Laimbeer - 17 (Kevin McHale, Michael Jordan, Robert Parish, Alonzo Mourning, Horace Grant, Charles Barkley, Charles Oakley, Doc Rivers, Larry Bird)
Rick Mahorn - 16 (Kevin McHale, Michael Jordan, Buck Williams, Scottie Pippen, Tree Rollins, Isiah Thomas)
Charles Oakley - 15 (Bill Laimbeer, Charles Barkley, Rick Mahorn, Chuck Person, Steve Smith, Shaquille O'Neal, Isiah Thomas)
Isiah Thomas - 13 (Marc Iaroni, Bill Laimbeer, Rick Mahorn, Kevin Willis, Mark Price, Doc Rivers, Sidney Green)
Shaquille O'Neal - 12 (Greg Ostertag, Michael Olowakandi, Brad Miller, Eric Montross, Jayson Williams, Bimbo Coles, Charles Barkley
Patrick Ewing - 11 (Jalen Rose, Charles Barkley, AC Green, Detlef Schrempf, Rick Mahorn, Vlade Divac, Greg Kite)
Karl Malone - 10 (Kenyon Martin, Derrick Coleman, Juwan Howard, Buck Williams, Corliss Williamson, Kevin Willis)
Michael Jordan - 10 (Vernon Maxwell, Danny Ainge, Danny Ferry, Rick Mahorn, Bill Laimbeer, Greg Anthony, Chris Childs, Reggie Miller)
Dennis Rodman - 10 (Alonzo Mourning, Larry Johnson, Will Perdue, Stacey King, Brad Lohaus, Anthony Peeler, Charles Oakley)
Alonzo Mourning - 10 (Rick Smits, Luc Longley, Bo Outlaw, Karl Malone, Larry Johnson, Ron Harper)

Other notables: Buck Williams 9, Charles Barkley 7, John Starks 7, Kevin McHale 7, Reggie Miller 6, Larry Bird 6,

Bad Boys Run Down:
Laimbeer 17
Mahorn 16
Isiah 13
Rodman 10
James Edwards 6
John Salley 2
Vinnie Johnson 1
Mark Aguirre 1
Joe Dumars 0

L.Kizzle
01-09-2011, 03:10 AM
I'd love to see a list from the 50s to the 70s.

magnax1
01-09-2011, 03:11 AM
How many of those fights did Laimbeer start though? I bet most were people just pissed off at him. Probably the same with all those guys, that's basically a list of dirtiest players in the league.

L.Kizzle
01-09-2011, 03:26 AM
How many of those fights did Laimbeer start though? I bet most were people just pissed off at him. Probably the same with all those guys, that's basically a list of dirtiest players in the league.
All these guys are 80s and 90s players.

Only Shaq is in the top and most of those happened in the 90s give or take a few.

WEAK ERA for fights.

G.O.A.T
01-09-2011, 03:28 AM
I'd love to see a list from the 50s to the 70s.

Me too...though it'd be impossible to be as accurate. Those numbers only have a 5-10% margin of error.

Some guys who'd be up near the top

Clyde Lovellette
Calvin Murphy
Daryl Dawkins
Kermit Washington
Jim Luscutoff
Maurice Lucas
Bob Lanier
George Mikan
Dennis Awtrey
Jerry Lucas
Sweetwater Clifton
Earl Lloyd
John Brisker (ABA)
Wendal Ladner (ABA)

L.Kizzle
01-09-2011, 03:32 AM
Me too...though it'd be impossible to be as accurate. Those numbers only have a 5-10% margin of error.

Clyde Lovellette
Calvin Murphy
Daryl Dawkins
Kermit Washington
Jim Luscutoff
Maurice Lucas
Bob Lanier
George Mikan
Dennis Awtrey
Jerry Lucas
Sweetwater Clifton
Earl Lloyd
John Brisker (ABA)
Wendal Ladner (ABA)
I read Bill Sharman was a dirty player.

ballup
01-09-2011, 03:34 AM
I heard Danny Ainge got into a couple fights back into the day

L.Kizzle
01-09-2011, 03:37 AM
Biting matches.

Mr. Jabbar
01-09-2011, 03:40 AM
I think KG must rank somewhere near the top, if you consider picking on small white guards anyway. :lol

G.O.A.T
01-09-2011, 03:55 AM

Six fights, Ranging from Jordan and Sidney Moncreif to Chris Dudley and Greg Ostertag. Not to mention countless trash talking.

I think KG must rank somewhere near the top, if you consider picking on small white guards anyway. :lol

Kg was in five fights, three against white guys.

PHILA
01-09-2011, 04:14 AM
Shaquille O'Neal - 12 (Greg Ostertag, Michael Olowakandi, Brad Miller, Eric Montross, Jayson Williams, Bimbo Coles, Charles Barkley+ Alvin Robertson.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlatS54e6_s#t=8m29s

Mr. Jabbar
01-09-2011, 04:18 AM
Six fights, Ranging from Jordan and Sidney Moncreif to Chris Dudley and Greg Ostertag. Not to mention countless trash talking.

Kg was in five fights, three against white guys.

Whats the brawl count for Bruce Bowen? He was dirty as they come, did he got involved in many?

DetroitPiston
01-09-2011, 04:24 AM
The funny thing about this list, is that Mahorn is a really nice guy. Very cool, very down to Earth, and very nice. The definition of a gentleman to put it simply. When I talked to him for the first time I found it hard to believe that this was a guy who would get in fights with anybody.

Laimbeer on the other hand, is a total douche.

Also, I laughed when I saw the Bad Boys rundown. It's amazing and shows Dumars' character that he never got into any fights.

Snoop_Cat
01-09-2011, 04:26 AM
Isiah Thomas - 13 (Marc Iaroni, Bill Laimbeer, Rick Mahorn, Kevin Willis, Mark Price, Doc Rivers, Sidney Green)

Gotta love how some of the guys are twice his size

New York Knicks
01-09-2011, 04:28 AM
Zo's leg vs. JVG was an epic battle

imdaman99
01-09-2011, 04:28 AM
John Starks baby :bowdown: my hero <3

Niquesports
01-09-2011, 06:45 AM

Clyde Lovellette
Calvin Murphy
Daryl Dawkins
Kermit Washington
Jim Luscutoff
Maurice Lucas
Bob Lanier
George Mikan
Dennis Awtrey
Jerry Lucas
Sweetwater Clifton
Earl Lloyd
John Brisker (ABA)
Wendal Ladner (ABA)
Kermit was really a good guy who got a bad rap due to the Rudy T thing. See if you can get some info on calvin Murphy beating up Sidney Wicks or How about kareem beating up Kent Benson

Clutch
01-09-2011, 06:49 AM
+ Alvin Robertson.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlatS54e6_s#t=8m29s

Nice one :lol

Btw,amazing video

MastahX
01-09-2011, 12:18 PM
Karl Malone & Rodman got into it. add +1 to those guys.

pete's montreux
01-09-2011, 12:23 PM
The Laimbeer/Parish fight wasn't really a fight. Parish just pummeled him in the face a few times and Laimbeer went down like Frazier.

G.O.A.T
01-09-2011, 12:25 PM
The Laimbeer/Parish fight wasn't really a fight. Parish just pummeled him in the face a few times and Laimbeer went down like Frazier.

No, Parish karate chopped Laimbeer from behind for no reason at all. And didn't even get called for a foul let alone ejected.

High Roller
01-09-2011, 12:25 PM
Out of curiosity, what's Tracy McGrady's fight count? Or do his little scuffles not fit the criteria of being fights?

Psileas
01-09-2011, 12:32 PM
GOAT, is this guy Harvey Pollack's son? How long did it take to do all this research?
BTW, Karl Malone was believed not to be brave enough to fight people his size, but I see lots of PF's and C's in his "resume".

pete's montreux
01-09-2011, 12:35 PM
No, Parish karate chopped Laimbeer from behind for no reason at all. And didn't even get called for a foul let alone ejected.

I've seen the video. Laimbeer was pushing off on Bird all game trying to get position on offensive rebounds and Parrish hit him at least twice in the head.

az00m
01-09-2011, 01:17 PM
Is the dennis rodman headbutt and nut kicking in this? Also I don't see shaq. Even tho it may of just been a push by shaq they did get involved in a slight dispute.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShgwXBVaVwM

Also you will notice jordan pulling luc's hand away. Rodman sees that and doesnt offer him a hand too haha.

Niquesports
01-09-2011, 01:19 PM
Got a cool email from a friend this afternoon who tracked down some numbers on fights within basketball games.

Here's the list of the players who were primarily involved in the most fights since 1980 and some of the notables they fought against. The NBA's top ten most prolific pugilists if you will:

Bill Laimbeer - 17 (Kevin McHale, Michael Jordan, Robert Parish, Alonzo Mourning, Horace Grant, Charles Barkley, Charles Oakley, Doc Rivers, Larry Bird)
Rick Mahorn - 16 (Kevin McHale, Michael Jordan, Buck Williams, Scottie Pippen, Tree Rollins, Isiah Thomas)
Charles Oakley - 15 (Bill Laimbeer, Charles Barkley, Rick Mahorn, Chuck Person, Steve Smith, Shaquille O'Neal, Isiah Thomas)
Shaquille O'Neal - 12 (Greg Ostertag, Michael Olowakandi, Brad Miller, Eric Montross, Jayson Williams, Bimbo Coles, Charles Barkley
Patrick Ewing - 11 (Jalen Rose, Charles Barkley, AC Green, Detlef Schrempf, Rick Mahorn, Vlade Divac, Greg Kite)
Karl Malone - 10 (Kenyon Martin, Derrick Coleman, Juwan Howard, Buck Williams, Corliss Williamson, Kevin Willis)
Michael Jordan - 10 (Vernon Maxwell, Danny Ainge, Danny Ferry, Rick Mahorn, Bill Laimbeer, Greg Anthony, Chris Childs, Reggie Miller)
Dennis Rodman - 10 (Alonzo Mourning, Larry Johnson, Will Perdue, Stacey King, Brad Lohaus, Anthony Peeler, Charles Oakley)
Alonzo Mourning - 10 (Rick Smits, Luc Longley, Bo Outlaw, Karl Malone, Larry Johnson, Ron Harper)

Other notables: Buck Williams 9, Charles Barkley 7, John Starks 7, Kevin McHale 7, Reggie Miller 6, Larry Bird 6,

Bad Boys Run Down:
Laimbeer 17
Mahorn 16
Isiah 13
Rodman 10
James Edwards 6
John Salley 2
Vinnie Johnson 1
Mark Aguirre 1
Joe Dumars 0
2 All Time Great Fights. Greg Anthony comes off the bench in street clothes and clobbers Kevin Johnson.
Carmello Anthony throws a left then a right then does the Moon walk against 5'2 nate Robinson.
Them Anthony boys
:facepalm

Clutch
01-09-2011, 01:22 PM
This one was nice.
Original move from Barkley :lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cUzJn83n9k&feature=related

guy
01-09-2011, 02:55 PM
How many of these are just minor scuffles? If Jordan v Ainge is from the 93 finals, I wouldn't consider that a fight.

06-23-2012, 10:47 PM
Here's a link to a list of fights from the 1940s to today:

http://www.apbr.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3883&start=25

There are quite a few surprises on these lists. For one, Kermit Washington was not in that many fights (and certainly none after The Punch) during his career. On the other hand, Hall Of Famers such as Bob Lanier and Rick Barry were in a ton of them.

Brick Rick
06-23-2012, 11:22 PM
where does my nikka larry granmamama johnson rank on this list? that nikka can box he was an amateur. remmeber when he was throwin bones with zo, fuak dat ish was dope.

jlip
06-23-2012, 11:31 PM
Here's a link to a list of fights from the 1940s to today:

http://www.apbr.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3883&start=25

There are quite a few surprises on these lists. For one, Kermit Washington was not in that many fights (and certainly none after The Punch) during his career. On the other hand, Hall Of Famers such as Bob Lanier and Rick Barry were in a ton of them.

EPIC Find!
:applause: :applause: :applause:

Quickening
06-23-2012, 11:31 PM
Should be quality> quantity... Ron Artest deserves a mention.. that ***** went HAM on civilians.:applause:

Brick Rick
06-23-2012, 11:41 PM
Should be quality> quantity... Ron Artest deserves a mention.. that ***** went HAM on civilians.:applause:

dis my all time thug team regardless of position. buncha enforcers, dirty players and take shit from no one type muahfuakass

oakley
bowen
barkley
malone
laimbeer
stockton
artest
jordan
rodman
zo
larry johnson

fsvr54
06-24-2012, 12:00 AM
I remember Tmac getting in his fair share of scuffles.

imdaman99
06-24-2012, 12:05 AM
isiah... how did he fight laimbeer and mahorn? were they not teammates???

bad boy knicks... 3 of them on there. mason could have been on there too... except everyone was afraid of him :oldlol:

LT Ice Cream
06-24-2012, 12:14 AM
Why is Shaq so well liked in the NBA? I see he's number 5 on that list, along with basically all of the Bad Boy Pistons, and nobody likes any of those guys.

Plus I watched a lot of Shaq's fights. He swung at Brad Miller for no reason, sucker punched a 17 year old Bynum . . . I honestly hate Shaq and think he should be blackballed like Isiah and Laimbeer.

Trentknicks
06-24-2012, 12:15 AM

bad boy knicks... 3 of them on there. mason could have been on there too... except everyone was afraid of him :oldlol:
I know people mention the bad boys all the time, but seriously, the 90s Knicks were badass.

Rivers
Starks
Mason
Oakley
Ewing

It just get more intimidating the more you look at it. Rivers proved he wouldn't take shit from anyone in his fight with KJ in the Suns/Knicks brawl of 93'

06-24-2012, 12:26 AM

While Thomas spent his entire playing career with the Pistons, Laimbeer began his career with Cleveland at the beginning of the '80s, and Mahorn was half of the "McFilthy and McNasty" tag team with Jeff Ruland in Washington during the decade's first half.

06-24-2012, 12:28 AM
Why is Shaq so well liked in the NBA? I see he's number 5 on that list, along with basically all of the Bad Boy Pistons, and nobody likes any of those guys.

Plus I watched a lot of Shaq's fights. He swung at Brad Miller for no reason, sucker punched a 17 year old Bynum . . . I honestly hate Shaq and think he should be blackballed like Isiah and Laimbeer.

Don't forget Shaq brawling with the much-smaller Alvin Robertson during his rookie season.

Chalkmaze
06-24-2012, 12:37 AM
Don't forget Shaq brawling with the much-smaller Alvin Robertson during his rookie season.

He also took a big cheap shot swing at Kirilenko that missed. Slapped Ostertag while in steet clothes.

boozehound
06-24-2012, 12:57 AM

Bad Boys Run Down:
Laimbeer 17
Mahorn 16
Isiah 13
Rodman 10
James Edwards 6
John Salley 2
Vinnie Johnson 1
Mark Aguirre 1
Joe Dumars 0
meh, most of those fights with laimbeer were started by the other player. rarely did he swing first.

FTR, still my favorite player

tastystaci
06-24-2012, 03:33 AM
meh, most of those fights with laimbeer were started by the other player. rarely did he swing first.

FTR, still my favorite player

And pretty underrated. Dude was an amazing rebounder. Could step out and hit from all over including 3 range. 80% free throw shooter.

:bowdown: Bill Laimbeer

jlauber
06-25-2012, 01:44 AM
Clyde Lovellette, who was 6-9 and 240 lbs, was considered the dirtiest player in the league when he played. Even his own teammates did not like him.

In the 63-64 Finals, he was throwing elbows at Chamberlain. Wilt repeatedly told him to quit. On one occasion, Lovellette turned and raised his fists as if to throw a punch. Wilt reacted with one swing. A clean knockout. Lovellette did not play the rest of the Finals, and retired shortly thereafter.

no pun intended
06-25-2012, 01:46 AM
There was an article in SLAM that visually diagrammed every single fight matchups in the NBA. It was stunning.

andgar923
06-25-2012, 02:04 AM
Clyde Lovellette, who was 6-9 and 240 lbs, was considered the dirtiest player in the league when he played. Even his own teammates did not like him.

In the 63-64 Finals, he was throwing elbows at Chamberlain. Wilt repeatedly told him to quit. On one occasion, Lovellette turned and raised his fists as if to throw a punch. Wilt reacted with one swing. A clean knockout. Lovellette did not play the rest of the Finals, and retired shortly thereafter.

I appreciate your history lessons. Not being a douche or sarcastic I really do.

jlauber
06-25-2012, 02:10 AM
I appreciate your history lessons. Not being a douche or sarcastic I really do.

Thanks.

:cheers:

SevereUpInHere
06-25-2012, 04:11 AM
I know people mention the bad boys all the time, but seriously, the 90s Knicks were badass.

Rivers
Starks
Mason
Oakley
Ewing

It just get more intimidating the more you look at it. Rivers proved he wouldn't take shit from anyone in his fight with KJ in the Suns/Knicks brawl of 93'

Goddamn I miss this team. I still have my Ewing jersey my cousin got for me in 93...