PDA

View Full Version : Is New York still the "Mecca" of basketball?

gts
01-18-2011, 06:03 PM
Reading in one of the Melo threads and saw the claim about New York is still the Mecca of Basketball.

Is New York the Mecca of basketball? if not where is it and what defines it?

christian1923
01-18-2011, 06:05 PM
Reading in one of the Melo threads and saw the claim about New York is still the Mecca of Basketball.

Is New York the Mecca of basketball? if not where is it and what defines it?

yeaa of course it is, theres a reason when players go to MSG they wanna have there best performences

fubu05
01-18-2011, 06:07 PM
I don't understand how it isn't. A title like this is timeless. Once the playoffs start again, the atmosphere in this building will be unbelievable, and people will be posting up threads about "wow, how great was the screaming of the fans, the intensity of the crowd, the atmosphere"

shaq's--lakers
01-18-2011, 06:09 PM
Numbers don't lie

crosso√er
01-18-2011, 06:11 PM
The label has little to do with the success of their NBA team...
It's a basketball city; from street basketball to endorsements to the media. If NY had similar success as LA or Boston has had in the past; the reputation the city would get, would far exceed that of Boston or even LA.

Faberg
01-18-2011, 06:36 PM
It's the mecca of basketball. But not because of the Knicks.

creamanshrimp
01-18-2011, 07:18 PM
chicago/thread

gts
01-18-2011, 07:20 PM
chicago/threadwhy chicago? what has it done to take the crown away?

Nick Young
01-18-2011, 07:22 PM
No, but new yorkers think it is.

LA is the best basketball city, we got the lakers with the most titles in the NBA, another franchise with a huge fanbase, and UCLA, the best college basketball team of all time

LA also doesnt have a pro football team, basketball is the top sport there

Sarcastic
01-18-2011, 07:25 PM
It has to do with NY having the most legendary streetball courts on the planet (Rucker/West 4th) and being the birthplace of some legendary players as well.

That title never had anything to do with the Knickerbockers.

LEFT4DEAD
01-18-2011, 07:26 PM
in b4 someone ask what is "mecca"

SpecialQue
01-18-2011, 07:28 PM
More like the "mecos" of basketball.

DuMa
01-18-2011, 07:29 PM
cant deny all the many historic performances that has happened in the garden. it is home to many very memorable basketball performances in history.

gts
01-18-2011, 07:34 PM
So is it New York City as a whole is "Mecca" or just Madison Square Garden? because here's a Knick blogger that says it MSG, not NYC

[QUOTE]First of all, the Garden is actually referred to as

EmilDrillz
01-18-2011, 07:36 PM
I give it to LA in this day and age. UCLA, Lakers, Clippers. Staples Center since built has had more memorable performances then MSG in the past 10 years. The only reason I would give it to NY is due to its rich street ball history. :violin:

Ikill
01-18-2011, 07:40 PM
in b4 someone ask what is "mecca"
what is mecca

Sarcastic
01-18-2011, 07:43 PM
I give it to LA in this day and age. UCLA, Lakers, Clippers. Staples Center since built has had more memorable performances then MSG in the past 10 years. The only reason I would give it to NY is due to its rich street ball history. :violin:

It is not a title given out due to success of the city. It has to do with the history.

Does LA have more success than NY in both pro and college teams? Yes.
Does LA have more history than NY overall in basketball? No.

nycelt84
01-18-2011, 07:48 PM
New York originally became known as the mecca of basketball because NY had a lot to do with the explosion of popularity in the basketball with the Original Celtics and other NY teams of the 20's and Ned Irish and MSG in the 30's. College basketball became a giant success because of MSG and any college team that wanted to make a name for themselves wanted to play at MSG starting in the 30's and coupled with the success of several NYC area colleges and the players coming out of the city that's what led to MSG becoming known as the Mecca of basketball and NYC being the place to be for basketball. It predates the NBA and the Knicks.

zizozain
01-18-2011, 07:49 PM
question

what it takes to be "Mecca" of basketball?

crowd? market? teams? players? championships? sales?-----------------

Los Angeles is the contemporary 'Mecca of Basketball'

Askari Moyenda

The greater Los Angeles area has become the true "Mecca of Basketball," despite the self-aggrandizing reports from the national media. Suspend, for the moment, those images of over-exposed, pseudo-ballplayers running up and down the court at Venice beach.

Several Los Angeles area high schools have reshaped the basketball landscape boasting a turned-pro-student ratio unparalleled by any school district in the nation, but none has produced the type of basketball star power like Westchester High School. The campus is situated approximately two miles from the Pacific Ocean, not exactly a hot bed for top notch athletes.

The basketball powerhouse boast five state Division I titles since its relative short existence (1948) and several Southern California area championships.

It's a little misleading, however, to suggest Westchester's state dominance allows Southern California to make claims to the mythical "Mecca of Basketball" since the titles only represent the state. The school has never played, for example, New York's High School equivalent. Westchester can't play New York's equivalent because one does not exist.

Westchester does matriculate thirty percent of its ballers into a Division I college program. Perhaps more significantly, Westchester has produced six current or former NBA players.

Granted, several high schools have out sourced basketball athletes at a higher rate than Westchester High. The famed Oak Hill Academy in the state of Virginia, for example, has developed seventeen former or current NBA players including almost-certain hall of famers Carmelo Anthony and Kevin Durant.

Of the seventeen NBA players from Oak Hill Academy, however, only one calls Virginia home. The $27,000 a year boarding school which shamelessly recruits kids throughout the country can't claim to influence the hoop culture in Virginia as Westchester can for Los Angeles.

New York high schools can't compete with such overt basketball prowess unless one wants to consider And-One as a legitimate professional basketball association, which is what New York has been reduced to producing.

All six of Westchester's NBA players are from the Los Angeles area. The new "Mecca of Basketball" has produced a whopping 16 first-round draftees in the last four NBA drafts. The southern California rich draft class includes future stars Russell Westbrook (Oklahoma City), Darren Collins (New Orleans), and rookie of the year runner up Brandon Jennings (Milwaukee) - a Southern Cal super athlete claimed by Oak Hill Academy

The tides have turned and the appropriate recognition needs to be addressed. We, the media, will now adopt Los Angeles, California as the new "Mecca of Basketball."

http://www.examiner.com/sports-in-los-angeles/los-angeles-is-the-contemporary-mecca-of-basketball

---------------------

New York is No Longer the Mecca of Basketball

Mecca of Basketball: It’s no longer New York, according to people in New York. And it’s not just because the Knicks haven’t won a playoff game in forever. “Not since 2006 has a team from the metropolitan area … qualified for the NCAA tournament, let alone won a game, which last happened in 2004 … the city hasn’t produced a consensus first-team All-American since 1993 when....

http://thebiglead.com/index.php/2010/12/01/new-york-is-no-longer-the-mecca-of-basketball-its-probably-north-carolina/

LEFT4DEAD
01-18-2011, 07:56 PM
what is mecca
Town in Saudi Arabia. It is probably holliest place for all of the Muslims around the world, and a place where every year is performing the most important pilgrimage in islam. For some people most beautiful place in the world.

Naruto-sama
01-18-2011, 07:58 PM
If just about every current/former NBA player says it, and for some reason they all want to go there, then yeah it is....

and i think its a combination of Knicks history, NYC basketball leagues/courts, players out of NY past and present, etc.

Teanett
01-18-2011, 08:01 PM
cant deny all the many historic performances that has happened in the garden. it is home to many very memorable basketball performances in history.

the boston garden?

zizozain
01-18-2011, 08:10 PM
what is mecca
mecca in this thread means: a place to which many people are attracted

Faberg
01-18-2011, 08:17 PM
Kobe says it's the mecca of basketball along with whole bunch of NBA players.

fubu05
01-18-2011, 08:21 PM
I can't believe people don't think it is :wtf:

Once the playoffs start, and the lights are on bright in MSG, and you are watching that game from home, once those players step onto that court, and that ball tips off, it will be the best atmosphere out of any arena in the league, why??? Because of the history there, something that will never be forgotten.

BarberSchool
01-18-2011, 10:56 PM
why chicago? what has it done to take the crown away?Chicago High school basketball in the mid to late 90's was the peak of all high school basketball in the world's history. Anyone who saw it knows this to be extra true.
the Chicago Bulls double 3 peats in the 90's are the peak if professional basketball achievement, in the toughest era.
Chicago streetball is competitively and skillwise every bit as good as NYC streetball, perhaps just not as famous due to media/print/etc.

BarberSchool
01-18-2011, 10:59 PM
q
Los Angeles is the contemporary 'Mecca of Basketball'Vomit. Venice beach courts are sad...I really bought some of the hype when I was little watching "White Men Can't Jump", but there ain't no comp out there anymore. And given that LA counties' % of blacks has declined sharply since the 1980's....no way could LA even be considered....their streetball can't possibly be able to hang with NYC or Chicago.

gts
01-18-2011, 11:08 PM
Chicago High school basketball in the mid to late 90's was the peak of all high school basketball in the world's history. Anyone who saw it knows this to be extra true.
the Chicago Bulls double 3 peats in the 90's are the peak if professional basketball achievement, in the toughest era.
Chicago streetball is competitively and skillwise every bit as good as NYC streetball, perhaps just not as famous due to media/print/etc.dude seriously, there's a whole lot of homer in that post... all good but still trying to make a case based on a decade vs other cities isn't working for me...

LA has produced more college titles with UCLA more NBA titles with the lakers and more than their fair share of talent over the years and i'm not going to try and make a case for basketball mecca... it might have been be the center of basketball at one time or another much like chicago was in the 90's but mecca? nahhh

knickscity
01-18-2011, 11:17 PM
So is it New York City as a whole is "Mecca" or just Madison Square Garden?

I'm hoping this isn't an agenda.

NYC is the Mecca of basketball. Period.

The famous parks where legend honed their skills, like Rucker, and the West 4th Cage has no comparison in familiarity to any other in the world.

Plus we have some of the most famous High School known for basketball as well.

It's just what you see when you go to any park in NYC is a basketball hoop.

MSG own claims the Most Famous status because the city itself is the Mecca.

knickscity
01-18-2011, 11:26 PM
Vomit. Venice beach courts are sad...I really bought some of the hype when I was little watching "White Men Can't Jump", but there ain't no comp out there anymore. And given that LA counties' % of blacks has declined sharply since the 1980's....no way could LA even be considered....their streetball can't possibly be able to hang with NYC or Chicago.
Chicago isn't quite at the level of street ball scene of NYC.

I would put Philly over Chi as well.

gts
01-18-2011, 11:30 PM
I'm hoping this isn't an agenda.

NYC is the Mecca of basketball. Period.

The famous parks where legend honed their skills, like Rucker, and the West 4th Cage has no comparison in familiarity to any other in the world.

Plus we have some of the most famous High School known for basketball as well.

It's just what you see when you go to any park in NYC is a basketball hoop.

MSG own claims the Most Famous status because the city itself is the Mecca.nope all serious, i just was bored today and thought it would be fun to take the usual ISH conversation in a different direction...lol
i got no dog in this fight so i'm just poking it along

back on topic
so you say it's the whole city, the blogger from some knicks site says it just MSG... (see page 1 i posted a blurb from the blog)

macpierce
01-18-2011, 11:34 PM
It is not a title given out due to success of the city. It has to do with the history.

Does LA have more success than NY in both pro and college teams? Yes.
Does LA have more history than NY overall in basketball? No.
go knicks!

gts
01-18-2011, 11:38 PM
go knicks!read his post again..

he's talking about in total, if it's just college or pro then LA yes but he's talking about basketball history in the city of NY..

from high school to the pros to the street ball scene, park ball etc etc etc NY has a rich history of basketball much greater than LA's.. it's right there with pastrami and matzoballs

edit: you changed you post!! lol

knickscity
01-18-2011, 11:56 PM
nope all serious, i just was bored today and thought it would be fun to take the usual ISH conversation in a different direction...lol
i got no dog in this fight so i'm just poking it along

back on topic
so you say it's the whole city, the blogger from some knicks site says it just MSG... (see page 1 i posted a blurb from the blog)
It's the whole city. City meaning "NYC", not the whole state to be more specific.

MSG may be one of the most famous venues in the world, which is why it's called most famous arena.

The Knicks have very little in comparison to the basketball history of NYC.

The blogger is wrong plain and simple, but it's HIS opinion, so he is right in his own mind.

zizozain
01-19-2011, 12:53 PM
* Is New York the basketball mecca because of the number of championships they have won? No that can not be it, they only have two, 1970 and 1973. The Boston Celtics have seventeen, the Los Angeles Lakers have eleven. The Chicago Bulls have six. (an old artcl.)

* Is it the number of Hall Of Fame players? Well they have twelve Hall Of Fame players. The Boston Celtics have twenty three. The Los Angeles Lakers have fifteen.

* Is New York the birth place of basketball? No that is Springfield Massachusetts.

* Maybe they have the all time best player? No they never had Bill Russell, Larry Bird, Wilt Chamberlain, Michael Jordan or Magic Johnson. They are not even in the argument there.

* What we really have here is false advertising, this is akin to a fast food place claiming to have the best coffee in town

http://hubpages.com/hub/New-York-The-Basketball-Meca-What

Noble6
01-19-2011, 12:56 PM
yeah

knickscity
01-19-2011, 01:11 PM
* Is New York the basketball mecca because of the number of championships they have won? No that can not be it, they only have two, 1970 and 1973. The Boston Celtics have seventeen, the Los Angeles Lakers have eleven. The Chicago Bulls have six. (an old artcl.)

* Is it the number of Hall Of Fame players? Well they have twelve Hall Of Fame players. The Boston Celtics have twenty three. The Los Angeles Lakers have fifteen.

* Is New York the birth place of basketball? No that is Springfield Massachusetts.

* Maybe they have the all time best player? No they never had Bill Russell, Larry Bird, Wilt Chamberlain, Michael Jordan or Magic Johnson. They are not even in the argument there.

* What we really have here is false advertising, this is akin to a fast food place claiming to have the best coffee in town

http://hubpages.com/hub/New-York-The-Basketball-Meca-What
You have no clue what your talking about.

The Mecca has little to do with pro ball, it's the street scene that makes it the Mecca.

The other venues like MSG ride off that.

Even the NBA players recognize NYC at the Mecca.

But don't act like nobody has come out of NYC.

zizozain
01-19-2011, 01:40 PM
You have no clue what your talking about.

The Mecca has little to do with pro ball, it's the street scene that makes it the Mecca.

The other venues like MSG ride off that.

Even the NBA players recognize NYC at the Mecca.

But don't act like nobody has come out of NYC.
and let's ignore
Hall Of Fame players
pro ball
NCAA
high schools basketball
all time best player
markets
championships

Mr. Jabbar
01-19-2011, 01:51 PM
The term mecca used for new york doesn't ferer to the knicks, MSG, college or any of those leagues...Its about STREET BBALL. And that ain't changing anytime soon...

Go Getter
01-19-2011, 01:56 PM
Chicago isn't quite at the level of street ball scene of NYC.

I would put Philly over Chi as well.
Based off of?

Because I have played extensively in Chicago and have played against many Philly/NY cats.

Them and1 cats used to come Chicago and get ran every year lol j/k

JohnnySic
01-19-2011, 02:01 PM
Indiana is basketball country.

BarberSchool
01-22-2011, 01:49 PM
Based off of?

Because I have played extensively in Chicago and have played against many Philly/NY cats.Based off the fact that dude likes Philly more culturally/some other reason, I'm guessing.....cause it certainly couldn't have been the basketball. Philly is still leaping over horse manure dunking on milkcrates.

smartboy19
06-27-2012, 05:39 AM
#Late

But I don't see how new york can consistently claim the title of basketball mecca... The basketball culture in chicago is just as strong and the city consistently puts out talent..top notch talent...new york is honestly doing nothing too special... ijs

NumberSix
06-27-2012, 06:09 AM
Town in Saudi Arabia. It is probably holliest place for all of the Muslims around the world, and a place where every year is performing the most important pilgrimage in islam. For some people most beautiful place in the world.
It's not. "Mecca" is the gathering place of Muslims. Not the holiest site, just the place of gathering.

So, if NYC/MSG is the Mecca of basketball, all that means is that is the place of gathering for basketball.

JellyBean
06-27-2012, 08:11 AM
To me, it is a toss up between New York and Chicago, based on experience.

TheTruth11
06-27-2012, 08:35 AM
CHICAGO

- Derrick Rose = #1 Pick
- Anthony Davis = #1 Pick
- Jabari Parker = #1 player in HS basketball

TheTruth11
06-27-2012, 09:25 AM
As for history, Chicago is actually the home of the Harlem Globetrotters. They only used the name "Harlem" because they wanted people to know that they were Black. But the team's home was Chicago.

Chicago is also home to the first ever World Basketball Championship which happened to feature in the tournament finals (for the first time ever) an All White team vs. an All Black team. That was in 1939 with the games being held at the old Chicago Stadium -- later home to the Chicago Bulls and Michael Jordan.

History -- Chicago has it. New York does too. But Chicago takes no back seat to anyone as far as hoops. And a strong argument can be made that Chicago dominates New York as far as modern day basketball is concerned -- not even close!! New York is largely living off of past rep whereas Chicago is steadily producing legendary ballers every day. Who is the last great New York basketball player??? Gotta think long and hard on that one.

Chicago is steadily producing.... from DRose to DWade to Iman Shumpert to Anthony Davis to Jabari Parker to Shannon Brown to Tony Allen to Will Bynum to Juwan Howard to Corey Maggette to Quinton Richardson to.... too many guys to list. I'm sure I am missing quite a few.

From the old school players to the new school Chicago stakes a claim to being the mecca. Just a small sample:
Doc Rivers - arguably the best coach in basketball.
Iasiah Thomas - probably the 2nd best PG all-time after Magic. 2 time world champion.
DWade - just got his second ring.
I believe Shump and DRose will eventually get rings too.
Just a small sample...

The list goes on and on and on....

Orlando Magic
06-27-2012, 09:30 AM
Springfield, Massachusetts is the "Mecca" of basketball.