PDA

View Full Version : Paul Pierce is a top 5 Celtic all-time

Duranthebest
01-20-2011, 07:28 PM
True story.

mlh1981
01-20-2011, 07:30 PM
That's a bold statement, given their history.

Who rounds out your top 5, and who misses the cut?

Duranthebest
01-20-2011, 07:34 PM

I've seen this topic discussed on different boards multiple times... The consensus top 6 is(in no order), Bird, Russel, Hondo, Cousey, Pierce and McHale. I'd put Pierce over McHale and Cousey based on longevity and career statistics.

MMM
01-20-2011, 07:34 PM
Pierce ranks anywhere from 5-8. What bodes well for him is that he is in the top 5 in many of the statistical categories but obviously in Boston players are rated via Championships. So another ring could really help ensure his legacy currently I think I would have him in the all time Celtics starting line up though that doesn't necessarily make you a top 5 Celtic.

Russell
McHale
Bird
Pierce
Cousy

Bench
Cowens
Heinsohn
Hondo
Jones
DJ
Garnett
Jo Jo White

gts
01-20-2011, 07:35 PM
probably number 5 maybe four if you want to drop mchale to 5

gts
01-20-2011, 07:36 PM
Pierce ranks anywhere from 5-8. What bodes well for him is that he is in the top 5 in many of the statistical categories but obviously in Boston players are rated via Championships. So another ring could really help ensure his legacy currently I think I would have him in the all time Celtics starting line up though that doesn't necessarily make you a top 5 Celtic.

Russell
McHale
Bird
Pierce
Cousy

Bench
Cowens
Heinsohn
Hondo
Jones
DJ
Garnett
Jo Jo Whiteno havlicek

BlackWhiteGreen
01-20-2011, 07:37 PM
Hmmm

1. Bird
2. Russell
3. Hondo
4. Pierce
5. Cousy

LEFT4DEAD
Right now, borderline top 5 I would say. I see him in group of McHale, Parish, Cowens and Cousy fighting for 4th and 5th spot. Russell, Bird and Hondo are locks for me.
IMO opinion, after retirement he will be 4th best Celtic.

steve
no havlicek
He's Hondo.

Duranthebest
01-20-2011, 07:39 PM
no havlicek

Hondo=havlikek

I don't know why his nickname is Hondo, but I know I use it because it's easier to spell than "Havlikek".

gts
01-20-2011, 07:40 PM
He's Hondo.yeah i saw that.. i was talking top 5

edit: to me he's a top 5 celtic all time

steve
01-20-2011, 07:44 PM
yeah i saw that.. i was talking top 5

Oh yeah, definitely. I'd easily put Cousy, Russell, Havlicek, and Bird ahead of Pierce. I guess there could be a debate once you get past those four, but not with those four.

Meticode
01-20-2011, 07:45 PM

I don't think it is. Or at least it won't be by the time he retires as long as he stays a Celtic until he retires. He's giong to be #2 guaranteed in Celtic scoring all-time. Possibly #1 if he plays another 5-ish years.

Duranthebest
01-20-2011, 07:50 PM
I don't think it is. Or at least it won't be by the time he retires as long as he stays a Celtic until he retires. He's giong to be #2 guaranteed in Celtic scoring all-time. Possibly #1 if he plays another 5-ish years.

If Paul Pierce becomes the Celtics # 1 scorer, I'm going to cry for 100 nights.

MMM
01-20-2011, 07:51 PM
yeah i saw that.. i was talking top 5

Hondo is in my top 5 but my all time starting line up i think he is a better fit off the bench if that makes sense,, lol

Russell
Bird
Hondo
Cousy
Pierce
McHale

gts
01-20-2011, 07:55 PM

havlicek: 26,395 points
bird: 21,791 points
pierce: 20,682

just under 6000 away... 4 more seasons?

Duranthebest
01-20-2011, 08:02 PM

He's been averaging around 1,500 PTS a season since th big 3 era(except for the injury season last year). Let's say he scores 700-800 more points this season + another 4500 in the next 3 seasons. That'll put him only 500-400 points away from the record. :eek:

If Pierce stays healthy, in shape and motivated to play, I can see him breaking the record at age 36-37.

Meticode
01-20-2011, 08:02 PM

He'll pass Bird next year as long as he doesn't get injured.

mlh1981
01-20-2011, 08:03 PM
Upon reading the responses, I guess it's not so crazy after all to assume that Pierce would be a top 5 Celtic.

Meticode
01-20-2011, 08:04 PM
Upon reading the responses, I guess it's not so crazy after all to assume that Pierce would be a top 5 Celtic.
The Celtics didn't have a abundance of awesomes scoerers in their history. Bird averaged 24PPG for his career as a Celtic, that's #1. Pierce is #2 at 22PPG.

miller-time
01-20-2011, 08:35 PM

don't forget we are talking about this while he is playing. the nostalgia factor will boost up his rating more than anything once he retires.

Niquesports
01-20-2011, 09:40 PM

Russell
McHale
Bird
Pierce
Cousy

Bench
Cowens
Heinsohn
Hondo
Jones
DJ
Garnett
Jo Jo White
Move Cowens and Jo Jo White above PP. PP would be behind even DJ if he wasn't saved by KG and Ray Ray.YOu need to add TIny and Parrish to this list also.

Niquesports
01-20-2011, 09:44 PM
Oh yeah, definitely. I'd easily put Cousy, Russell, Havlicek, and Bird ahead of Pierce. I guess there could be a debate once you get past those four, but not with those four.

GO Google Dave Cowens and get back with me.

MMM
01-20-2011, 10:04 PM
Move Cowens and Jo Jo White above PP. PP would be behind even DJ if he wasn't saved by KG and Ray Ray.YOu need to add TIny and Parrish to this list also.

Those weren't my all-time rankings
no way would KG be so high on my list.

zizozain
01-20-2011, 10:39 PM
lol @ Pierce is a top 5 ..... he's not even a top 10

1.Russell 2.Bird 3.Havileck 4.Cousy 5.McHale 6.Sam Jones 7.Cowens 8.Sharman 9.Jo Jo White 10.Parish

good try spud

Miserio
01-20-2011, 10:51 PM
1) Bird (the most representative celtic, he's bigger than Russell for the c's)
2) Russell
3) McHale
4) Cousy
5) DA TRUTH

SpecialQue
01-20-2011, 11:01 PM
Where's Rondo?

imlmf
01-20-2011, 11:08 PM
no, he's just there long enough

steve
01-20-2011, 11:40 PM
GO Google Dave Cowens and get back with me.
Condescending much? Cowens would probably go ahead of him, as well as McHale. He has a lot of winning and an MVP, but the relative shortness of his career leaves the door open for a debate on the issue.

G.O.A.T
01-20-2011, 11:53 PM
Four Automatics:

Russell
Bird
Hondo
Cousy

after that it's between Pierce, Heinsohn McHale, Parish, Sam Jones, Bill Sharman, Jo Jo White, Dennis Johnson and KG.

I can't put Pierce above McHale or Jones.

momo
01-21-2011, 04:12 AM
He is either just in or just out for me, but the 4-8 spots are real tough to order up.

Hammertime
01-21-2011, 04:16 AM
Pierce over McHale and the reason is longevity? McHale retired at 35. Pierce is 33. How does that work?

Actually, nevermind. Pierce over McHale at all?

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_xFffjDSucJE/TQg4n6CReLI/AAAAAAAAATI/c0XR1Y-S09k/s1600/celebrity-pictures-homer-simpson-facepalm-copy.jpg

DUP
01-21-2011, 04:20 AM
i dont know much about the celtic history but paul should definitely be recognized

Toizumi
01-21-2011, 04:27 AM
Four Automatics:

Russell
Bird
Hondo
Cousy

after that it's between Pierce, Heinsohn McHale, Parish, Sam Jones, Bill Sharman, Jo Jo White, Dennis Johnson and KG.

I can't put Pierce above McHale or Jones.

I agree with most of your post.

I put Pierce at 5 though, for the following reason: he has been the most face of the franchise for this entire decade.
McHale and Jones were never THE iconic players on their respective teams, due to the greatness of Russell and Bird. Pierce has been a Celtic his entire career and has been the team's best player for the bigger part of it. He has won less championships ofc, but on an individual level (statistically, all star selections, recognizition), I'd say he has had a better career than Mchale and Jones (this is subjective of course).

I've never seen Sam Jones play, but I read about him and I know he was great. But so was Pierce and Pierce was the leader of his squads, unlike Jones (these squads were less dominant than Jones's teams though)
Pierce will mostly be remembered for being part of the big three I think. The original Celtic who stayed put and got a team built around him every player would wish for.

He's top 5 in my book.

crosso√er
01-21-2011, 04:27 AM
McHale is easily better then Pierce; greatest low post scorer in league history should be ranked over a prototypical All-Star who won't leave any sort of legacy behind. The Messiah was known for a niche, his low post scoring and incredible foot work; how many players scored 27 PPG on over 60 FG%? Sure he doesn't have a similar longevity of Pierce, but his peek demolishes anything Pierce has ever done at his peak. :facepalm

Russell, Bird, Hondo, Cousey and McHale are players that should and will be remembered as better Celtic players (in comparison to Pierce).

All of those players are in the top 50; you honestly think Pierce will one day be elected on that list? Please, most overrated player perhaps I have ever witnessed in my life.

Heck is he even better then Robert Parish? :rolleyes:

crosso√er
01-21-2011, 04:36 AM
I agree with most of your post.

I put Pierce at 5 though, for the following reason: he has been the most face of the franchise for this entire decade.
McHale and Jones were never THE iconic players on their respective teams, due to the greatness of Russell and Bird. Pierce has been a Celtic his entire career and has been the team's best player for the bigger part of it. He has won less championships ofc, but on an individual level (statistically, all star selections, recognizition), I'd say he has had a better career than Mchale and Jones (this is subjective of course).

I've never seen Sam Jones play, but I read about him and I know he was great. But so was Pierce and Pierce was the leader of his squads, unlike Jones (these squads were less dominant than Jones's teams though)
Pierce will mostly be remembered for being part of the big three I think. The original Celtic who stayed put and got a team built around him every player would wish for.

He's top 5 in my book.

:oldlol: What? So your argument is that Pierce led a Celtic squad for an entire decade fishing practically every season until a silver spoon was inserted into his mouth with the signing of Allen & Garnett? Being the face of the franchise just isn't the same when your achievements are limited and not very flattering.

I could care less if he won the finals MVP; we all know KG was the heart & soul of that team, he was their leader in 2008 and most importantly Ray Allen was robbed of that NBA finals.

Pierce on that 80's Celtic team would be a third wheel at best, it just so happens that those two players played with Bird & Russell. One player who is clearly better then him, if you know anything about basketball in the 80's (concentrating mostly on McHale, am not as knowledgeable on Sam Jones).

Pierce is easily one of the most loyal players in Celtic history, going through all those tough years; but skill wise, it's a preposterous sentiment to suggest him being better then guys like Russell, Bird, McHale, Hondo or Cousy. Those are icons in Celtic history; Pierce didn't bring much of anything to the franchise besides loyalty and a bunch of All-Star appearances. Let me rephrase; he never achieved anything note worthy (besides that one conference final appearance) as the best player on his team; so please don't bring up that weak-ass "But McHale was a 2nd fiddle..." argument... :rolleyes:

Go Getter
01-21-2011, 04:44 AM
Idk how Hondo and Cousy would have fared in a contemporary NBA setting.

Lebron23
01-21-2011, 04:47 AM
Idk how Hondo and Cousy would have fared in a contemporary NBA setting.

Hondo was still putting up good all around numbers in the 1970's.

crosso√er
01-21-2011, 04:56 AM

Why, because Pierce could become the #1 scorer in Celtic history? :oldlol:

Bill Russell was never known for his scoring; Bird & Hondo were much more complete players then Pierce and Cousy is just an icon in Celtic history, a PG who distributed the ball rather then score. A perennial All-Star like Pierce shouldn't even be allowed to be in the same tier as him, let alone be considered better then him.

Besides Bird & Hondo; those three players (including McHale) simply either didn't have as long of career or they simply played different positions and had different strengths (other then being asked to be a primary scorer). And although Pierce could beat out Bird & Hondo on the All-Time scoring list; those guys were a heck of a lot more complete as basketball players.

Pierce is good at everything, I'm not dissing him. He is a really good player, an All-Star, who has had a great career. He is extremely clutch, a great scorer and an underrated defender. But he doesn't do anything at a legendary level; I can't see him being placed on that "Top 50 Players of All-Time" list, there are nearly 25-30 players in this past decade and in the 90's who were at least as good as Pierce was. Guys like Mitch Richmond, Tim Hardaway, Kevin Johnson and Joe Dumars. None of those players should be considered better then any of those Celtic legends; and Pierce isn't exactly better then any of those careers either.

Boston have won the most titles; and those five individuals have won 90%+ for them; I find it an insult for anyone to consider Pierce above any one of those guys (McHale, Bird, Russell, Hondo or Cousy).

Hondo
01-21-2011, 04:58 AM
I've seen this topic discussed on different boards multiple times... The consensus top 6 is(in no order), Bird, Russel, Hondo, Cousey, Pierce and McHale. I'd put Pierce over McHale and Cousey based on longevity and career statistics.

I've seen them all in person, except Russell and Cousy era players.

My top 5 would be:
Bill Russell - for the championships and the overall excellence.

Larry Bird - I have never seen a player with so many all around skills. Bird was amazing at every aspect of the game, even on defense. He would frustrate the life out of other players. If he was playing today, he would foul out in a half. Very physical guy.

John Havlicek - amazing, amazing player. No doubt he's my favorite player ever. One of the best perimeter defenders I have seen in person, and a heady scorer. Was the bridging player for the Celtics.

Paul Pierce - He hasn't started to decline yet. He has one of the longest peak I have seen. His physical abilities have slowly diminished, but he has become an amazing shot creator off pump fakes and jam steps. He has become an excellent set shooter, and is still a top 3 finisher in the NBA. His defense also improves every year. (Wow, I feel like a homer)

Dave Cowens - McHale's body of work is too small and Bob Cousy didn't have the influence that Cowens had. He was a legit MVP.

Niquesports
01-21-2011, 05:00 AM
McHale is easily better then Pierce; greatest low post scorer in league history should be ranked over a prototypical All-Star who won't leave any sort of legacy behind. The Messiah was known for a niche, his low post scoring and incredible foot work; how many players scored 27 PPG on over 60 FG%? Sure he doesn't have a similar longevity of Pierce, but his peek demolishes anything Pierce has ever done at his peak. :facepalm

Russell, Bird, Hondo, Cousey and McHale are players that should and will be remembered as better Celtic players (in comparison to Pierce).

All of those players are in the top 50; you honestly think Pierce will one day be elected on that list? Please, most overrated player perhaps I have ever witnessed in my life.

Heck is he even better then Robert Parish? :rolleyes:
I agree with most of your most. I would also include a forgotten for many Dvae Cowens. But its hard for me to take this post serious when you say Pierce is the most overrated player yoou have witnessed. YEt in the same post you say Kevin Mchale is the "Greatest low post scorer" in history. Was Kareem shooting jumpers. I don't recall Hakeem's midrange game as the reason many call him a TOp 5 C. There was another great Moses besides the one in the bible.You must be too young to have seen Elvin,Wilt and if thats the case you had to have seen Tim Duncan. Mchale is really a Jack Sikma that played on a Great team. That being said I still take him over PP.

Niquesports
01-21-2011, 05:04 AM
I've seen them all in person, except Russell and Cousy era players.

My top 5 would be:
Bill Russell - for the championships and the overall excellence.

Larry Bird - I have never seen a player with so many all around skills. Bird was amazing at every aspect of the game, even on defense. He would frustrate the life out of other players. If he was playing today, he would foul out in a half. Very physical guy.

John Havlicek - amazing, amazing player. No doubt he's my favorite player ever. One of the best perimeter defenders I have seen in person, and a heady scorer. Was the bridging player for the Celtics.

Paul Pierce - He hasn't started to decline yet. He has one of the longest peak I have seen. His physical abilities have slowly diminished, but he has become an amazing shot creator off pump fakes and jam steps. He has become an excellent set shooter, and is still a top 3 finisher in the NBA. His defense also improves every year. (Wow, I feel like a homer)

Dave Cowens - McHale's body of work is too small and Bob Cousy didn't have the influence that Cowens had. He was a legit MVP.

Cousy didn't have the influence ? Paul Pierce has never been considered a TOp 5 player in the league. For the most part he has never really been a Top 10. Cousy after Milkan was considered as one of the best at the very least a top 3.Cousy true or not is considered the first great PG.IT can go on .
I would also rank Jo JO White even with PP.

Go Getter
01-21-2011, 05:04 AM
Hondo was still putting up good all around numbers in the 1970's.

Forgot about that. Good point.

crosso√er
01-21-2011, 05:06 AM
I agree with most of your most. I would also include a forgotten for many Dvae Cowens. But its hard for me to take this post serious when you say Pierce is the most overrated player yoou have witnessed. YEt in the same post you say Kevin Mchale is the "Greatest low post scorer" in history. Was Kareem shooting jumpers. I don't recall Hakeem's midrange game as the reason many call him a TOp 5 C. There was another great Moses besides the one in the bible.You must be too young to have seen Elvin,Wilt and if thats the case you had to have seen Tim Duncan. Mchale is really a Jack Sikma that played on a Great team. That being said I still take him over PP.

Parish, S.Jones, Cowens and so forth are irrelevant because those five players are sufficient enough to make my rebuttal. I honestly don't understand why people are infatuated with Pierce; he was off the map completely this past decade until 2008. An All-Star caliber player who didn't sniff the playoffs for half a decade it seems.

Now he has two future HOF'ers and people in this very thread; claiming he could end up being a top five Celtic, dethroning one of those legends? Those same legends that BUILT Celtic history, really?!
I'm not too young; people in this thread clearly are.

McHale had arguably the most effective low-post game in league history, at his peak. Go do some studying kid; you can't take me serious because you named a bunch of legends who were also great low post scorers as some sort of validity in discrediting my point?

McHale had some of the greatest low-post moves I have ever seen and he was a hell of a lot more efficient then Tim Duncan or Hakeem Olajuwon in the paint.

Go Getter
01-21-2011, 05:16 AM
Parish, S.Jones, Cowens and so forth are irrelevant because those five players are sufficient enough to make my rebuttal. I honestly don't understand why people are infatuated with Pierce; he was off the map completely this past decade until 2008. An All-Star caliber player who didn't sniff the playoffs for half a decade it seems.

Now he has two future HOF'ers and people in this very thread; claiming he could end up being a top five Celtic, dethroning one of those legends? Those same legends that BUILT Celtic history, really?!

McHale had arguably the most effective low-post game in league history, at his peak. Go do some studying kid; you can't take me serious because you named a bunch of legends who were also great low post scorers as some sort of validity in discrediting my point?

McHale had some of the greatest low-post moves I have ever seen and he was a hell of a lot more efficient then Tim Duncan or Hakeem Olajuwon in the paint.

McHale=GOAT post moves.

Through him I learned every move needs a counter-move to confuse a defender or make him pause for a second.

griffmoney1784
01-21-2011, 05:40 AM
#1 russell 11 rings
#2 bird 3 rings
#3 cousy 6 rings, 10 first team all nba's
#4 Havlicek 8 rings, 4 1st teams, 5 all defensive 1st teams
#5 Mchale 3 rings, 7 time allstar, 6 all defensive teams, all nba 1st team

#6 pierce 1 ring, 0 all nba 1st teams, 0 defensive teams, 0 allstar starts

DUP
01-21-2011, 05:43 AM
#1 russell 11 rings
#2 bird 3 rings
#3 cousy 6 rings, 10 first team all nba's
#4 Havlicek 8 rings, 4 1st teams, 5 all defensive 1st teams
#5 Mchale 3 rings, 7 time allstar, 6 all defensive teams, all nba 1st team

#6 pierce 1 ring, 0 all nba 1st teams, 0 defensive teams, 0 allstar starts

modern day rings are more valluable

PurpleChuck
01-21-2011, 05:45 AM
:wtf:

griffmoney1784
01-21-2011, 05:50 AM

i know they are... i would say 1 ring today is worth 3 rings from the 60's

like russells 11 championships is more like 4 rings in todays game

so still

#1 russell - 4 legit rings
#2 bird - 3 rings
#3 cousy 2 legit rings
#4 havlicek 3 legit rings
#5 mchale 3 rings

#6 pierce 1 ring

catch24
01-21-2011, 05:50 AM

Yeah, they're made in a tougher ERA physically.

griffmoney1784
01-21-2011, 05:53 AM
Yeah, they're made in a tougher ERA physically.

i actually agree with the adjustment for rings in eras

kobes 5 in a modern day era are slightly more impressive than russells collection of 11 crap rings in a 6-8 team league against guys who had to look at the ball when dribbling

Hondo
01-21-2011, 06:13 AM

Huh? :confusedshrug:

Anyway, to the people talking about McHale as a top 5 Celtic, you have got to be kidding me. If we are voting on a player's peak, then sure. But you need to remember McHale did not play at a high level his whole career. I have to give it to Pierce for how solid he has been during his whole career. I guess part of me wants a Celtic from each era on the team, and I believe Pierce embodies everything the Celtics are about.

Pierce is one of the best clutch performers I have ever seen. I watched Michael at the garden numerous times, I was privileged enough to have watched Reggie Miller play in New York (on TV), and I have seen Magic in person. Paul Pierce is right up there with those guys in terms of making daggers. I don't know how many times I have watched Paul make a huge shot to put another team away.
(Don't come in here mentioning Robert Horry. Just stop).

Cousy did change the way the game was played but he was not on the level of Paul Pierce. Sure, Paul has never been a top 3 player in the NBA. But he has consistently been one of the most reliable superstars. Yo udon't agree? Have a look:
Season-----PER
1998-99----19.2
1999-00----19.8
2000-01----22.3
2001-02----22.3
2002-03----22.7
2003-04----19.4
2004-05----21.8
2005-06----23.6
2006-07----21.7
2007-08----19.6
2008-09----17.7
2009-10----18.2
2010-11----20.5

Pierce's per 48 minute PER is 21.1 (in 2010-11) compared to the players he has been matched up against at 10.1 (that's far less than the league average).

Stat-----------------------------ON Court---------OFF Court-------Net
Net Points per 100 Possessions-----+12.4------------ -3.6----------+16.0

Pierce is the BEST player on the Celtics. He has never had adequate pieces around him until the big 3 came along. Before that, his best team was Antoine Walker, Kenny Anderson and spare parts. For the longest time Boston was assembling a team of washed up stars, and mid first round picks. Not exactly a pattern for becoming a winning team. People don't bash Tracy McGrady this much. You can't tell me Pierce has had more talented teams than McGrady.

I can agree with people who say McHale could be ranked over Pierce, and I can see the logic behind someone claiming Jo Jo White* could be ranked over Pierce, but I fail to see how players like Cousy, Jones and Parish get mentions over him.

For the record, I would rank Jo Jo above McHale, too.

DUP
01-21-2011, 06:15 AM
:wtf:
what? this era is tougher for sure

griffmoney1784
01-21-2011, 06:18 AM
Huh? :confusedshrug:

lets be realistic. if rings from the 60's were worth anywhere near what they are today... bill russell would be run away GOAT

russells 11 = about 4-5 today... i dont know why your shaking your shoulders

Hondo
01-21-2011, 06:19 AM

kobes 5 in a modern day era are slightly more impressive than russells collection of 11 crap rings in a 6-8 team league against guys who had to look at the ball when dribbling

I haven't neg repped anyone......... yet.

How do you rank Hondo's rings? He won in the 'weak' era, and also won in the mi 70's?

Kobe's era seems more watered down to me. I'd like to see him in the 80's or 90's . He would have been beaten down by teams like the Knicks and torched by guys like Jordan, Drexler, Richmond, English, Dantley, King and Miller.

DUP
01-21-2011, 06:20 AM
lets be realistic. if rings from the 60's were worth anywhere near what they are today... bill russell would be run away GOAT

russells 11 = about 4-5 today... i dont know why your shaking your shoulders

yeah, not sure why everyone was so shocked at my statement

Hondo
01-21-2011, 06:27 AM
yeah, not sure why everyone was so shocked at my statement

NWA's music is not worth the fanfare. Selling 2,000,000 records in 1988 is like selling 10,000 today. That's using your logic.

DUP
01-21-2011, 06:32 AM
NWA's music is not worth the fanfare. Selling 2,000,000 records in 1988 is like selling 10,000 today. That's using your logic.
that is nothing like it at all....

Bigsmoke
01-21-2011, 06:32 AM
True story.

I love Paul Pierce too but you be on his dick too much

griffmoney1784
01-21-2011, 06:34 AM
I haven't neg repped anyone......... yet.

How do you rank Hondo's rings? He won in the 'weak' era, and also won in the mi 70's?

Kobe's era seems more watered down to me. I'd like to see him in the 80's or 90's . He would have been beaten down by teams like the Knicks and torched by guys like Jordan, Drexler, Richmond, English, Dantley, King and Miller.

yea your right kobes garbage.

hondo's rings in the era where off hand dribbling was non existent were more impressive. where players shot under hand free throws and didnt know what a cross over was yet and 90% of the league couldnt dunk... yea sure

and yea kobe wouldnt be tough enough to body up with players from the 80's

hes got it easy playing against muscular tall wing players like lebron, wade.

no way he could be physical enough to deal with the fat gut having, no muscular definition players of the 80's

no way would a guy from an era with average scores of 100 points could go back to in time to the 80's pace of 115-120ppg and possibly score as many ppg as they can today

no way could a guy like kobe dominate without being a bruiser, pound it in player. kobes style would never work back in the 80's

oh no

wait .... didnt michael jordan play in the 80's

PrimeJohnnyDepp
01-21-2011, 06:36 AM
At first I was shocked at the statement, but really, 60's and 70's basketball is not worth that much now. I could out-trick Wilt Chamberlain. Of course, it would be DIFFERENT if I was actually born in that era. Remember how some videogames were really life-changing when you were a kid, but is just a bunch of pixels now? Cosmo Cosmic Adventure, Commander Keen, Wolfenstein, and that ****ing moment you played Quake 2, those were giants of their time. Now, it's different.

Let's assume players of any era gave everything they've got.

Bigsmoke
01-21-2011, 06:37 AM
yea your right kobes garbage.

hondo's rings in the era where off hand dribbling was non existent were more impressive. where players shot under hand free throws and didnt know what a cross over was yet and 90% of the league couldnt dunk... yea sure

and yea kobe wouldnt be tough enough to body up with players from the 80's

hes got it easy playing against muscular tall wing players like lebron, wade.

no way he could be physical enough to deal with the fat gut having, no muscular definition players of the 80's

no way would a guy from an era with average scores of 100 points could go back to in time to the 80's pace of 115-120ppg and possibly score as many ppg as they can today

no way could a guy like kobe dominate without being a bruiser, pound it in player. kobes style would never work back in the 80's

oh no

rep

Hondo
01-21-2011, 06:39 AM

Your argument fails right here. Jordan and Kobe are different players. And Jordan couldn't win in the 80's. It was too stacked for him to win. Kobe's teams might not have even been playoff teams. I can't see Kobe averaging 50% shooting from the field against the likes of the Bad Boy Pistons, the 76ers, Celtics and Knicks.

Your argument is terrible, it doesn't deserve a rebuttal, and you may be the first troll I have encountered. If this was Hero Quest, I might be more excited about meeting a troll.

griffmoney1784
01-21-2011, 06:46 AM
Your argument fails right here. Jordan and Kobe are different players. And Jordan couldn't win in the 80's. It was too stacked for him to win. Kobe's teams might not have even been playoff teams. I can't see Kobe averaging 50% shooting from the field against the likes of the Bad Boy Pistons, the 76ers, Celtics and Knicks.

Your argument is terrible, it doesn't deserve a rebuttal, and you may be the first troll I have encountered. If this was Hero Quest, I might be more excited about meeting a troll.

so your saying... the 6 foot 6 guy

the guy who plays SG under coach phil jackson

who is about to 3 peat for the 2nd time

who coppied all of jordans moves

the guy who can do and does do everything a person can think of on the basketball court.

the man who has a 3 pointer, post moves, fadaways, pull ups, finishes inside, uses off hands as well has his good hands

and has always been the most compared with michael jordan throughout his career

is.... in your mind......... nothing like michael jordan

jordan could average 37ppg in the 80s

but kobe wouldnt crack 20

this is what your saying
?

griffmoney1784
01-21-2011, 06:53 AM
i hope to god i dont end up like that hondo guy

in 40 years when players are dunking from 2 feet behind the free throw line in games. draining three pointers at a 60% clip and 5 players on each team are built like lebron with the skills of kobe x 5... i hope to god im not sitting on a forum holding onto some scraps from my out of date era hoping people will think my kobe could compete in that new era and no one in that new era could compete in kobes

if i do.... i pray someone kills me

Hittin_Shots
01-21-2011, 08:07 AM

in 40 years when players are dunking from 2 feet behind the free throw line in games. draining three pointers at a 60% clip and 5 players on each team are built like lebron with the skills of kobe x 5... i hope to god im not sitting on a forum holding onto some scraps from my out of date era hoping people will think my kobe could compete in that new era and no one in that new era could compete in kobes

If Kobe played in the 80's he'd of copied different players and not copied a guy thats hadn't really played yet.... Kobe says his game was built on copying players so if the people back then only dribbled with one hand and didn't crossover, wouldnt it make sense that he would do the same?

JohnnySic
01-21-2011, 08:15 AM
Kevin Garnett is also a Celtic - just thought I'd drop in and point that out.

pete's montreux
01-21-2011, 08:32 AM
I think most Boston Celtics fans are seriously underestimating Raef LaFrentz. I mean, 7 three pointers in a half? LaFrentz baby!

LiLharvard
01-21-2011, 09:18 AM
so your saying... the 6 foot 6 guy

the guy who plays SG under coach phil jackson

who is about to 3 peat for the 2nd time

who coppied all of jordans moves

the guy who can do and does do everything a person can think of on the basketball court.

the man who has a 3 pointer, post moves, fadaways, pull ups, finishes inside, uses off hands as well has his good hands

and has always been the most compared with michael jordan throughout his career

is.... in your mind......... nothing like michael jordan

jordan could average 37ppg in the 80s

but kobe wouldnt crack 20

this is what your saying
?

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=205855

Niquesports
01-21-2011, 10:19 AM

You can have "efficient" give me BETTER ........... Mchale isnt even in the convo in terms of Post moves with Hakeem,Duncan,hayes or Kareem and I could name more.Again mchale was a Jack Sickma on a Great team.

ronniec
01-21-2011, 11:07 AM
Hondo is in my top 5 but my all time starting line up i think he is a better fit off the bench if that makes sense,, lol

Russell
Bird
Hondo
Cousy
Pierce
McHale

How can you guys not putting Red up there??

Red
Russell
Bird
Hondo
Cousy
McHale/Parish
Pierce

If Pierce gets one more ring, I will move him ahead of McHale and Parish.

MiseryCityTexas
01-21-2011, 11:17 AM

:oldlol: :roll: :oldlol: kobe could not even shoot 50 % in last year's finals. the 70s celtics could beat most teams in last years play-offs with dave cowens just simply out hustling everybody and trying harder.

Duranthebest
01-21-2011, 12:26 PM
Kevin Garnett is also a Celtic - just thought I'd drop in and point that out.

What's your point?

Psileas
01-21-2011, 12:39 PM

These fantasies are not going to happen, unless the whole human race is going to be genetically modified. There will never be 5 guys with the skill of Kobe on each team, because being skilled at something is largely based on genetics, and humans are not exactly like microbes, which reproduce so often that they can become genetically superior within a short time. Kobe, along with a few others (and yes, these "others" include players from the 60's and 70's, because talent existed even when you weren't there to see), is at the top of the skill pyramid, and that's not going to change, unless we develop some alien type of technology (and this would probably irritate many of you or your children/grandchildren, who would be probably be put into reproducing restrictions or even bans).
60% shooting from the 3 point land? Maybe some day someone who manages to barely qualify will pull it off for a season. Multiple players? Nope. Much like FT shooting, which, in more than half a century, has barely gone up, there is not much that indicates that 3-point shooting will, either.

The "Russell's 11 championships = Kobe's 5" crap, apart from ignoring the fact that Russell was almost always the Celtics' Finals' MVP, while Kobe not nearly so much, doesn't explain why before Russell there had only been one dynasty (and considerably smaller), why the increase of teams during his own era had no effect on his championship winning, despite the fact that he and his team were getting older and more fragile and why, immediately after he retired, there was no other repeat for almost 20 years, including the supposedly weak 70's. Ironically, after '86, there have been a total of 7 repeats and three-peats, within less than 25 years, including 5 repeats/three-pits in a row. I guess this must be the equivalent of having 5 consecutive 5-7 championship teams in Russell's era. :rolleyes:

Hondo
01-21-2011, 06:53 PM
Morons ruined this thread.

I'll return after the playoffs if Pierce is victorious.

griffmoney1784
01-21-2011, 06:57 PM
Morons ruined this thread.

I'll return after the playoffs if Pierce is victorious.

ahhhh stick a cork in it grandpa

Niquesports
01-21-2011, 09:10 PM

Well when Russ was playing played didn't get to carry the ball and get 3 and sometimes 4 steps. Oh yea if you put your hand on them its a foul. How easy is that.

Niquesports
01-21-2011, 09:19 PM

No what you will be saying when you see that 7'3 built like a roman god player shooting 3pt. why doesn't he have any post moves. Why is his block shots pg so low. Oh D Howard would kill him in the post. As big as this guy from 2030 is he can't defend in the post . Thats what you will be saying. Like us older guys are saying now why is a 6'8 250lb Lebron shooting more 3's than posting up.WHy is there really only about 5 true post C in the game with 32 teams.Get the idea youg fella.

BlueandGold
01-21-2011, 09:22 PM

Russell
McHale
Bird
Pierce
Cousy

Bench
Cowens
Heinsohn
Hondo
Jones
DJ
Garnett
Jo Jo White

Hondo and Pierce are virtually interchangable, and I'm thinking reputation leans with Hondo a bit more.

Niquesports
01-21-2011, 09:26 PM
Hondo and Pierce are virtually interchangable, and I'm thinking reputation leans with Hondo a bit more.
Hondo never had to be carried to the locker room because he broke a nail.
Hondo never needed a teammate to yell at him it game time pick it up like diva PP
Hondo was never called by many a care free player. Here is a question is PP really better than Vince Carter ? Or are they the same player. has anyone ever seen the two in the same room at the same time ?

Niquesports
01-21-2011, 09:28 PM
ahhhh stick a cork in it grandpa

open a book and learn basketball history and change your diaper.

MayCeltics
01-21-2011, 09:41 PM
A lot of Celtics past greats already stated Pierce is the greatest offensive player in franchise history. I'll take their word over poster on ISH :lol

Derka
01-21-2011, 09:44 PM

Its gonna happen so stock up on those tissues.

t-rex
01-21-2011, 09:51 PM
True story.

Top 5

1) Russell
2) Bird
3) Havlicek
4) Pierce
5) McHale

G.O.A.T
01-21-2011, 11:03 PM
Top 5

1) Russell
2) Bird
3) Havlicek
4) Pierce
5) McHale

Why in God's name would you have Pierce and McHale over Cousy?

Cousy was an MVP, 10-time all-first NBA and dominated in the pre and post black star and shot clock eras. Also he won six titles.

Again, why would you have PP and Minnesota Franks over him?

Niquesports
01-21-2011, 11:11 PM

Cousy was an MVP, 10-time all-first NBA and dominated in the pre and post black star and shot clock eras. Also he won six titles.

G.O.A.T. it's called " I learned about the NBA from ESPN.How do people have Mchale over Dave Cowens ? Jo JO White is one of the most underrated players in the history of the game . I put players like Jo JO and Jammal Wilkes and I wonder do people watch the game. IN that 76 Great Finals game Hondo was a beast but why do people forget about how great Jo JO was. In Magic's 80' game 6 Greatest finals individual performance of all time why have people forgot how Great Silky was?

t-rex
01-22-2011, 12:45 AM

I thought about Cousy. And he is an all time Celtic. But to me he is overrated. Cousy would not dominate todays game. He wouldn't even be close. The other players on the list would dominate today. (Perhaps not Russell playing center at 6-9, but he would still be a good PF). I tried to make my list a combination of who is regarded as a great Celtic and who is a truly all time great player. I guess it is a matter of opinion.

If you rank the all time great players to ever play in the NBA, Cousy is not on your list. Thus he isn't in my top 5 Celtics list either. In retrospect I think you do have a point. I guess its just a matter of how you tackle the question.

For instance, if you were to list the top 5 Lakers of all time, George Mikan is probably on your list. However he wouldn't make my list, because Mikan, like Cousy is far from an all time great player based on modern metrics.

I'm not saying I'm right or wrong, but I hope you can see my point.

t-rex
01-22-2011, 12:52 AM
G.O.A.T. it's called " I learned about the NBA from ESPN.How do people have Mchale over Dave Cowens ? Jo JO White is one of the most underrated players in the history of the game . I put players like Jo JO and Jammal Wilkes and I wonder do people watch the game. IN that 76 Great Finals game Hondo was a beast but why do people forget about how great Jo JO was. In Magic's 80' game 6 Greatest finals individual performance of all time why have people forgot how Great Silky was?

The famous night in game 6 of the 1980 NBA finals, when Magic Johnson played center and scored more than 40 points to clinch the title against the Sixers, its a little known fact that Jamal Wilkes also scored 40 points for the Lakers IN THE SAME GAME. But all anyone talks about is Magic Johnson's 40 point game performance.

Bob Ryan of the Boston Globe claims that to this day, Jamal Wilkes' 40 point game in Game 6 of the 1980 NBA Finals ranks as the quietest 40 point game in NBA playoff history.

jlauber
01-22-2011, 01:14 AM
The famous night in game 6 of the 1980 NBA finals, when Magic Johnson played center and scored more than 40 points to clinch the title against the Sixers, its a little known fact that Jamal Wilkes also scored 40 points for the Lakers IN THE SAME GAME. But all anyone talks about is Magic Johnson's 40 point game performance.

Bob Ryan of the Boston Globe claims that to this day, Jamal Wilkes' 40 point game in Game 6 of the 1980 NBA Finals ranks as the quietest 40 point game in NBA playoff history.

Not quite. Wilkes scored 37 points on 16-30 shooting, while Magic scored 42 on 14-23 shooting (and 14-14 in FTs). Magic also led ALL rebounders, and by a mile, with 15 rebounds (the next guy had 10.)

L.Kizzle
01-22-2011, 01:35 AM
Just seen this thread, and no Pierce is not a top 5 Celtic of All-Time. I've seen people rank Pierce ahead of Cousy ... Y'all do know Bob is considered around a top 25 player, and Pierce is not, that simple.

Russell
Bird
Havlicek
Cousy
Cowens
Sam Jones
McHale

He is either before or after Parish

Parish

jlauber
01-22-2011, 01:37 AM
Just seen this thread, and no Pierce is not a top 5 Celtic of All-Time. I've seen people rank Pierce ahead of Cousy ... Y'all do know Bob is considered around a top 25 player, and Pierce is not, that simple.

Russell
Bird
Havlicek
Cousy
Cowens
Sam Jones
McHale

Parish

100% agree. And Sam Jones may have been one of the most under-rated players in NBA history.

Pushxx
01-22-2011, 01:59 AM

Russell
Bird
Havlicek
Cousy
Cowens
Sam Jones
McHale

Parish

McHale and Pierce are both above Sam Jones.

MayCeltics
01-22-2011, 02:05 AM

Russell
Bird
Havlicek
Cousy
Cowens
Sam Jones
McHale

Parish

:roll: Is that you Charles Fartkley?

Pierce Def top5

L.Kizzle
01-22-2011, 02:32 AM

Pierce Def top5
Explain how he is TOP 5??

no pun intended
01-22-2011, 02:47 AM
How far is he away from that achievement and what rank is he now?

Duranthebest
01-22-2011, 02:55 AM

Pierce Def top5

You're not that new to this site, so you should know LKizzle is a dumb Pierce hater. He's been hating on Pierce since he joined. Don't take him seriously.

MMM
01-22-2011, 04:37 AM
How far is he away from that achievement and what rank is he now?

he is 3rd behind Bird and Hondo
I believe he is on pace to pass Bird by next year and he is about 6 000 points away from Hondo.

t-rex
01-22-2011, 08:41 PM
Not quite. Wilkes scored 37 points on 16-30 shooting, while Magic scored 42 on 14-23 shooting (and 14-14 in FTs). Magic also led ALL rebounders, and by a mile, with 15 rebounds (the next guy had 10.)

My bad. My memory is fading. However I absolutely do remember, Bob Ryan saying "It was the quietest 40 point game in NBA history. I think you just corrected us both. :oldlol:

t-rex
01-22-2011, 08:45 PM

Russell
Bird
Havlicek
Cousy
Cowens
Sam Jones
McHale

Parish

There is no way based on the metrics of the modern game that Bob Cousy is one of the top 25 players in NBA history.

However, you bring up an important key player and often a forgotten man in Robert Parish. He was among the most underrated players of his era, and is definitely in the discussion for any all time great Celtics list.

Niquesports
01-22-2011, 10:37 PM
NOt the same thing. After the game you always walked away saying Magic was great. WIth Silky you say he was good then you look in the box score and see he had 40 and you say what.

Niquesports
01-22-2011, 10:43 PM
There is no way based on the metrics of the modern game that Bob Cousy is one of the top 25 players in NBA history.

However, you bring up an important key player and often a forgotten man in Robert Parish. He was among the most underrated players of his era, and is definitely in the discussion for any all time great Celtics list.
using your logic of today's "Metrics" a today player like JR Smith is better than Elgin Baylor. Sounds silly doesn't it. Look at Baylor's body of work compared to Smith"s. Cousy has accomplished more in his career than any PG in the last 15 years .Can PP say that in any category?

L.Kizzle
01-22-2011, 10:57 PM

What is "today's metrics," that old time players suck? In that case, the record book from pre-1980 shouldn't even matter since these players don't fit in with "today's metrics."

Steve Blake is better than Oscar Robertson easily right?

mananmater
01-22-2011, 11:08 PM
Top 7 right now but hes stays with them a few more years he will be the longest celtic ever, so hes climbing as we speak, hes really the only true celtic on the team and many people forget how good he was some time ago.

albas89
03-16-2013, 10:34 AM
As PP is approaching the end of his career, is it safe to say he's a top 5 Celtic all-time? Where would you place him?

I'd place him 4th, behind Russell, Bird and Havlicek...

JohnnySic
03-16-2013, 01:39 PM
As PP is approaching the end of his career, is it safe to say he's a top 5 Celtic all-time? Where would you place him?

I'd place him 4th, behind Russell, Bird and Havlicek...
Same.

Clifton
03-16-2013, 01:51 PM
Cousy?

Cousy wouldn't make all-star games today.

He was a franchise- and era-defining player, though. So he can be on the list.

Cousy, Russell, Havlicek, Bird, and Pierce seem like the top 5 to me. I'm not sure how McHale, a guy who was second- or third-fiddle to Bird, can make it over Pierce, a guy who defined the franchise for a decade. KM could score rebound and defend; but that's not what this list is about. If it were, again, Cousy wouldn't be anywhere near it.

Whoah10115
03-16-2013, 05:26 PM
Bob Cousy is not considered a top 25 player...by just about anybody.

As far as basketball, Pierce is probably #4, behind Bird, Russell, Havlicek...as far as what it means to be a Celtic...same thing.

theaussieguy
03-16-2013, 05:54 PM
da troof is top 5 of all time so yes he is defs a top 5 celtic

gengiskhan
03-16-2013, 05:55 PM
True story.

FALSE story.

Here is my list:

1. Legend
2. Russell
3. Mchale
4. Havlechek
5. Cousy

http://www.hoopsmanifesto.com/articles/basketball/top-ten-boston-celtics-of-all-time.html

Here is the REALITY!

5) Kevin McHale - Boston Celtics - 1980-1993

Celtics accomplishments:

- NBA Hall of Fame member
- member of three Celtics championship teams
- seven-time All-Star
- two-time NBA Sixth Man of the Year
- All-Rookie Team
- six-time All-Defensive Team selection
- one-time All-NBA selection
"Teaming up with Larry Bird and Robert Parrish to form a great front-line, McHale was a key contributor on the three championships he won in Boston. McHale was also a great defensive player, recording nine blocks in two separate games, although the NBA did not record blocks then." - Diego

"Even though he spent most of his career as a sixth man for the Celtics in the 1980s, McHale was the low post threat Bird needed to succeed. Bird was not always a McHale fan because McHale never took the game as seriously as Bird (no one did) but he was the perfect foil. The good-natured McHale was a beast in the paint. He mastered the low post and could beat his opponents with a variety of skillful post moves. His reputation will take a bad rap for what he did as the general manager of the Timberwolves. But even after he
retired, he delivered a title to Boston. Can't ask for much more." - Philip

4) Bob Cousy - Boston Celtics - 1950-1963

Celtics accomplishments:

- member of six Celtics championship teams
- 13-time All-Star
- NBA MVP
- 12-time All-NBA
- Celtics all-time assist leader
"The original Steve Nash (with shorter hair and less finger-licking)." - Jeff Fox

"One of the first great ballhandlers, Bob Cousy seemed to see the game unfold before him in slow motion. He was the first of the great true point guards." - Don

3) John Havlicek - Boston Celtics - 1962-1978

Celtics accomplishments:

- member of eight Celtics championship teams
- Celtics all-time leader in games played, minutes played, field goals (made & attempted) and points.
- Finals MVP
- All-Rookie Team
- 11-time All-NBA team
- eight-time All-Defensive Team
- 13-time All-Star
- eighth all-time in career NBA minutes played
- ninth all-time in career field goals made in the NBA
- fifth all-time in career field goal attempts in the NBA

"Despite the myriad of Celtics superstars, you could argue that John Havlicek is 'Mr. Celtic'." - Jeff Fox

"The best sixth man in NBA history, Havlicek dominated games coming off the bench -- something that doesn't happen in today's basketball. In Game 7 of the 1965 NBA Finals, Havlicek stole an in-bounds pass with seven seconds left to preserve a one-point lead over Wilt Chamberlain's 76ers and win the championship." - Diego

"He was the primary scorer for many of Russell's championship teams and bridged the gap between the Russell and Cowens eras. 'Hondo' personified the heart and grit of those 1960s Boston teams." - Philip

2) Larry Bird - Boston Celtics - 1979-1992

Celtics accomplishments:

- member of three championship teams
- 10th all-time in NBA free throw %
- Celtics all-time steals leader
- three-time MVP
- Rookie of the Year
- two-time Finals MVP
- 10-time All-NBA team
- All-Rookie Team
- three-time All-Defensive Team

"One of the greatest basketball players to ever walk this planet, Bird revived the NBA and revolutionized the small forward position. Whenever Boston needed a big bucket, he supplied it." - Diego

"Bird and Magic Johnson saved basketball plain and simple. Their rivalry transcended sports and was the catalyst for the modern NBA. But more than that, Bird's artistry as a teammate and champion was beautiful for basketball fans to watch. He just had an instinct for the game and continually transformed himself to better himself and his teammates. There may not be another player who had everything a basketball player could have." - Philip

1) Bill Russell - Boston Celtics - 1956-1969

Celtics accomplishments:

- member of 11 championship teams as a player
- 2nd most career rebounds in NBA history
- 2nd highest career rebounds per game average in NBA history
- most career rebounds in Celtics history
- 12-time All-Star
- five-time MVP
- 11-time All-NBA Team
- one-time All-Defensive Team