13x AllStar
11x All NBA First Team
3x All NBA Defensive First Team
1986 Rookie Of The Year

36,928 points 2nd in NBA
14,968 rebounds 6th in the NBA
5,238 assist

Career Average: 25.0PPG 10.1RPG 3.6APG .516fg%

When discussing and arguing who is in the top 10 why isn't The Mailman in the discussion? Base on his numbers, stats, team success, longevity and accolades Karl Malone should be in the discussion.

And can the ISH please educate me on the Great Karl Malone.

8BeastlyXOIAD
01-28-2011, 06:13 PM
http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/si_online/covers/images/1997/0616_large.jpghttp://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/cover/featured/9586/index.htm

az00m
01-28-2011, 06:17 PM
He choked during big moments. But, I consider him the 2nd greatest power forward of all time alongside the great Tim Duncan. They are very close, but Duncan has the rings.

One thing I will say about malone is even at 35+ this man was a damn beast.

QuebecBaller
01-28-2011, 06:17 PM
"The Mailman doesn't work on Sunday" - MJ :D

ProfessorMurder
01-28-2011, 06:18 PM
He'd be top 10 if he won a ring in my opinion. I have him at 12 or 13 all time.

8BeastlyXOIAD
01-28-2011, 06:18 PM
[QUOTE] [I]The MVP race between Michael Jordan and Karl Malone has gone down to the wire, with the Malone train gathering steam in the final weeks. The Portland Oregonian surveyed 63 G.M.'s, coaches and player-personnel types, who gave Jordan the advantage, 37

8BeastlyXOIAD
01-28-2011, 06:20 PM
Is it true his game is similar to Amare's?

I cant believe @ 34-35 he won the MVP award:applause:

EricGordon23
01-28-2011, 06:23 PM
Karl Malone my Favorite Legend of all time. Dude is a beast IMO underrated.

Fatal9
01-28-2011, 06:25 PM
Underappreciated on this board.

ShaqAttack3234
01-28-2011, 06:35 PM

Yeah, his passing and post defense aren't talked about much here and the choker thing is exaggerated with Karl. I'm not saying he's an all time clutch player, but he's had great series before and in 2000 at what? 35/36 years old he was still arguably a top 5 player, he led that aging cast to 55 wins and he dropped 50 in a playoff game. His longevity is second to only Kareem. He was an elite player in 3 different decades and losing athleticism didn't affect his game at all until he was in his late 30's. And even in his last season, he was extremely valuable to the Lakers when he was on the court.

I dislike Karl Malone the person, but as a player, I have a great deal of admiration for him. He always played hard and his work ethic was phenomenal.

beermonsteroo
01-28-2011, 06:52 PM
Because he underperformed in the playoffs.

Just look at his regular season FG% and his Playoff FG%

51,6% 46,3%

che guevara
01-28-2011, 06:56 PM
You can thank Kblaze for a lot of that.

praneel
01-28-2011, 06:58 PM
Fearless and toughest sonofa that there ever was made in the NBA. His work ethic is phenominal. The guy was a 50% free throw shooter his first few years, and soon after was leading the league in free throws made.

Truly a great, but his personality was horrible and was a pretty awful dude off the court.

In terms of basketball, if he had at least 1 ring, I think he would be considered the best pf of all time. And given Duncan played the 5 half his career, you can argue today that The Mailman is the best 4 of all time, but I like saying Duncan is the best pf of all time, so I will keep doing it.

rodman91
01-28-2011, 07:13 PM
Is it true his game is similar to Amare's?

I cant believe @ 34-35 he won the MVP award:applause:

Not at all.besides both of them using pick and roll a lot of time.Karl was stronger,less vertical and agile,much better jumpshooter,had great fadeway.He did not have flashy dunks like Amare but he had mostly one hand power dunk.If i remember right he was 6'9 and 256 pounds with only %3 fat on his body.He was better man to man defender and had better stealing skills (Amare blocks better though) His range was really long for a type of player he is.He could easily score from 18-20.He was really good at defensive rebounds.Also he was tough & dirty player.He had better passing skills too. So in my opinion, i guess many would agree, Amare is fun to watch but Malone was much superior.No contest.Actually Kemp would be similiar to Amare.

He had really good FT lately and knew how to draw contacts.Also he had good passing skills. He was hardworker and did not just rely on his shooting skills.He wasn't choker.Always played hard and highest level.But because of he played for Jazz and he wasn't flashy player and couldnt get a ring..his greatness is kinda underrated by some.

Stoney
01-28-2011, 07:14 PM
As some people here has already mentioned, I think he gets underappreaciated as a player because of his personality (the rape and Demetrius Bell case), his reputation of being a dirty player, and his lack of clutch momemts, not necessarily due to choking, but more due to the lack of an extra gear come playoff time.
To make it simple, his level of play didn't drop off significantly in the playoffs, he was just not able to perform better in the playoffs than in the regular season like most other great players (Jordan and Hakeem in his era) do/did.

NewYorkNoPicks
01-28-2011, 07:23 PM
Karl Malone > Tim Duncan

stop believing what a lot of "experts" say and watch for yourself. Prime Mailman would destroy Timmayyy. Theres not one thing Duncan did better than Malone aside from passing.

Jasper
01-28-2011, 07:31 PM
2x MVP
13x AllStar
11x All NBA First Team
3x All NBA Defensive First Team
1986 Rookie Of The Year

36,928 points 2nd in NBA
14,968 rebounds 6th in the NBA
5,238 assist

Career Average: 25.0PPG 10.1RPG 3.6APG .516fg%

When discussing and arguing who is in the top 10 why isn't The Mailman in the discussion? Base on his numbers, stats, team success, longevity and accolades Karl Malone should be in the discussion.

And can the ISH please educate me on the Great Karl Malone.

He is one of my all time favorite players , and its based on his work ethic as well as defining the PF position.
When he came into the league it was brawl city , when it came to low post players. Malone immediate realized if he were to survive in the league he would need to work out annually and 'build' his body for the punishment.
He is a top 10 player on my list for a few reasons ... but I want to go back to a few weeks ago what I stated about the league today and it "IS the ERA of the best PF's in the history of the league"
PF spot is really defined as a roster spot to support the center spot in low post play , strong side , and that means low post offense , defense , and board work , besides out let passes and screens for wing players and blocking shots.
IMO he became the prototypical' POWER FORWARD.
His reliabilty shows by his stats , and his smarts were top of the league.
he was under rated as a defender , but you don't get boards like he did , unless you know how to use your foot work and position out.
* Problem is Euro players came into the league when American Big men were at the lowest for Centers as well as PF's .. So you immediately saw lengthy players with weak inside games playing like SF's.
Take 80-95% of the power forwards from the 80's and 90's and ask them to defend a SF out on the wing and they would look at you cross eyed.
Well that is what happened to the proto type PF in Malone and other PF's needing to guard weak a$$ PF's that couldn't play on the low blocks.
Malone could pick with the best of them , and obviously John Stockton was his fav player to play with in that left side high and low post.
All those vids of him doing it with John , now multiply them by thousands.. they were that good and no one could stop them.
Silky smooth jumper , high percentage free throw shooter , and a PF that could run the floor like a SF and dunk .
He was a great one.

rodman91
01-28-2011, 07:34 PM
Karl Malone > Tim Duncan

stop believing what a lot of "experts" say and watch for yourself. Prime Mailman would destroy Timmayyy. Theres not one thing Duncan did better than Malone aside from passing.

There are many things Duncan did better and many things Malone did better.Duncan in prime was much better on blocking shots and great stopper in the lane.Better rebounder.And better post player.Malone had better range and shooting skills. (even though Duncan had bank shot back then) Better at stealing,much more agressive and better scorer. Duncan is PF/C (mostly C).Malona was truely POWER Forward.

Fatal9
01-28-2011, 07:38 PM
Yeah, his passing and post defense aren't talked about much here and the choker thing is exaggerated with Karl. I'm not saying he's an all time clutch player, but he's had great series before and in 2000 at what? 35/36 years old he was still arguably a top 5 player, he led that aging cast to 55 wins and he dropped 50 in a playoff game. His longevity is second to only Kareem. He was an elite player in 3 different decades and losing athleticism didn't affect his game at all until he was in his late 30's. And even in his last season, he was extremely valuable to the Lakers when he was on the court.

I dislike Karl Malone the person, but as a player, I have a great deal of admiration for him. He always played hard and his work ethic was phenomenal.
Gets way too much held against him, and Stockton doesn't get enough of the blame in some of these games.

A lot of times, the Jazz really lacked a secondary scorer beside him who they could count on for 20 points a night and the ability to create his own shot (Stockton definitely wasn't providing that especially as the 90s progressed). You almost always need a secondary scorer like that to win in the playoffs. Jeff Malone was that guy for a couple of years but really afterwards, the Jazz never had someone like that around him. Lot of his great moments have kind of either been forgotten or turned against him. The game 7 in Seattle in '96 for example is held against him as a "choking moment", but the Jazz had NO business of ever being in a 7 game series with those Sonics especially with Stockton playing like shit (Malone averaged like 29/13/5 on great shooting to even get the Jazz to that point). Sometimes he did nothing wrong but gets blamed (see loss to Rockets in '95). In that elimination game, got no help from teammates in the second half, even made a three pointer to keep the season alive but gets blamed because Dream was hitting impossible fallaways and Drexler (unlike Stockton) actually stepped up and had a massive game too. '92 is another year I thought they should have made the finals but Porter torched Stockton, Blazers were too talented even though Malone stepped up and took over in several games (most memorable was in the second half of the Delaney Rudd game).

You'd like to see him perform better in those finals against the Bulls. Terrible in '97 but decent in '98. He faced great D (Rodman being a pest, Pippen drawing charges, Jordan swarming), but after that first game where he couldn't make a shot, I didn't think he was too bad. Only guy who played well when his team scored 54 points for example, came out on fire but like all throughout the finals, he got no scoring help, no second guy who could create his own shot. That's what happens when you have old Hornacek and old Stockton (who Pippen made look useless because he shut down the pick&roll) as your next best "scoring threats" while you're going against Jordan...Pippen...Kukoc (and then much better defensive personnel too), you're not beating the Bulls.

Was he the most reliable guy in those moments? No, you could just tell he got rattled sometimes by his body language, but his great moments/playoff series don't get nearly the credit they deserve. And he wasn't as bad in the playoffs as people make him out to be either. Everyone has their stinkers but Malone has played well in too many playoff games to use those to dismiss his legacy.

Jasper
01-28-2011, 07:39 PM
Karl Malone > Tim Duncan

This is a fine line in regards to discussion , because we all knew that Duncan would not be able to run the floor long enough with his length to guard and play PF for his whole career. (Yea - I admit he has played more less the center spot for a few years)
Where Duncan excell'ed in the low post , Malone was as efficient and better than Duncan at the high post. Malone's jumper was much more versatile on the floor , while Timmy has go to spots typical of strictly a low block player.
In a SENSE Duncan kind of redefined the PF spot along with Garnett.
Back in the 70's 80's and even early 90's they would of been defined as CENTERS.
I appreciate the fact you looked at both players games and can reflect back on a player so many posters never even see play the game in his prime.

-----------
FAtal 9 great post about some of the specifics

ShaqAttack3234
01-28-2011, 09:15 PM
Gets way too much held against him, and Stockton doesn't get enough of the blame in some of these games.

A lot of times, the Jazz really lacked a secondary scorer beside him who they could count on for 20 points a night and the ability to create his own shot (Stockton definitely wasn't providing that especially as the 90s progressed). You almost always need a secondary scorer like that to win in the playoffs. Jeff Malone was that guy for a couple of years but really afterwards, the Jazz never had someone like that around him. Lot of his great moments have kind of either been forgotten or turned against him. The game 7 in Seattle in '96 for example is held against him as a "choking moment", but the Jazz had NO business of ever being in a 7 game series with those Sonics especially with Stockton playing like shit (Malone averaged like 29/13/5 on great shooting to even get the Jazz to that point). Sometimes he did nothing wrong but gets blamed (see loss to Rockets in '95). In that elimination game, got no help from teammates in the second half, even made a three pointer to keep the season alive but gets blamed because Dream was hitting impossible fallaways and Drexler (unlike Stockton) actually stepped up and had a massive game too. '92 is another year I thought they should have made the finals but Porter torched Stockton, Blazers were too talented even though Malone stepped up and took over in several games (most memorable was in the second half of the Delaney Rudd game).

You'd like to see him perform better in those finals against the Bulls. Terrible in '97 but decent in '98. He faced great D (Rodman being a pest, Pippen drawing charges, Jordan swarming), but after that first game where he couldn't make a shot, I didn't think he was too bad. Only guy who played well when his team scored 54 points for example, came out on fire but like all throughout the finals, he got no scoring help, no second guy who could create his own shot. That's what happens when you have old Hornacek and old Stockton (who Pippen made look useless because he shut down the pick&roll) as your next best "scoring threats" while you're going against Jordan...Pippen...Kukoc (and then much better defensive personnel too), you're not beating the Bulls.

Was he the most reliable guy in those moments? No, you could just tell he got rattled sometimes by his body language, but his great moments/playoff series don't get nearly the credit they deserve. And he wasn't as bad in the playoffs as people make him out to be either. Everyone has their stinkers but Malone has played well in too many playoff games to use those to dismiss his legacy.

Exactly, and in general, I think Stockton gets overrated. Great point guard, but people act like Malone having Stockton was equivalent to Kareem having Magic, Shaq having Kobe, Jordan having Pippen ect. Stockton was never a true franchise player or MVP candidate himself, IMO while Malone was. While most here seem to think Stockton was better than Nash, I saw a lot more of the qualities of a franchise player in Nash than Stockton.

kentatm
01-28-2011, 09:22 PM
maybe he shouldn't have impregnated a 13 year old, denied it for years, refused child support, and then told the kid the first time he met him at age 18 it was too late to try to have a relationship.

scumbag all the way.

ProfessorMurder
01-28-2011, 09:29 PM
maybe he shouldn't have impregnated a 13 year old, denied it for years, refused child support, and then told the kid the first time he met him at age 18 it was too late to try to have a relationship.

scumbag all the way.

She told him the kid wasn't his and wouldn't let him near it, until he made money.

kentatm
01-28-2011, 10:48 PM
She told him the kid wasn't his and wouldn't let him near it, until he made money.

he screwed a 13 year old dude.

still = scumbag

Holy Random
01-28-2011, 10:56 PM
Someone dig up a Kblaze post on Malone.

FF1
01-28-2011, 11:07 PM
He impregnated a 13 year old.

Kblaze8855
01-28-2011, 11:14 PM
I'll just say this...

Karl Malone and Reggie Miller made me look righter than anyone else in sports.

I predicted their ultimate failure every season from like 1992 on and I never once tasted my words.

Those guys combined for damn near 40 years of failure with me being right about it every single time and people I know acting like I didnt know what I was talking about almost every time(96...everyone I knew was on the sonics side).

Mailman was great. No argument otherwise. Hes a totally deserving hall of famer...even if the HOF were not watered down with guys who didnt actually accomplish anything. Hes a legit HOF guy. Had an amazing career.

But he wasnt ever someone I took serious. Same with Reggie.

Great and all that. But I dont need my team to avoid them in the playoffs. If my team plays a guy in the playoffs and im looking past them....eh.

ProfessorMurder
01-28-2011, 11:16 PM
he screwed a 13 year old dude.

still = scumbag

She looked 39. He still did a bad thing, but god damn she was ugly and old looking. Look around on youtube there's a little documentary thing somewhere about the incidents.

Artillery
01-29-2011, 03:13 AM

scumbag all the way.

On top of all that, he's one of the dirtiest players of all-time. I have VERY little respect for him as a player or human being. Great stat-padder but an all-time loser. LOVED seeing him go down with an injury in '04 when he tried ring-chasing with LA. All the players he put in the hospital were probably cheering that night.

Lebron23
01-29-2011, 03:17 AM
She looked 39. He still did a bad thing, but god damn she was ugly and old looking. Look around on youtube there's a little documentary thing somewhere about the incidents.

This

His Current Filipina-American wife is much hotter.

mateoboz
01-29-2011, 04:29 AM
On top of all that, he's one of the dirtiest players of all-time. I have VERY little respect for him as a player or human being.

This guy was a piece of shit right until the very end. He never respected the game and never deserved a ring. I remember his last playoffs with the Lakers him BLATANTLY trying to break Bostjan Nachbar's neck in the first round. I can't tell you how much pleasure I got out of watching game 4 of the Finals when he refused to come out of the game and just stood at the top of the key trying to play Quarterback and sabotaged the game for LA. I was in a bar watching it, but if I would have been at home I would have taken my pants off and started touching myself to that sight. MAJOR psychotic ****ing hatred is all I feel for that man. To the point that if I ever saw him in person, I would say all this to his face and more. And he would **** me up, but then I'd sue him, so whatever.

Round Mound
02-01-2011, 01:14 AM
Stockton Parasitical Combination was one of the best of all time

Malone would not be able to play under today`soft rules

Borat
02-01-2011, 01:18 AM
"The Mailman doesn't work on Sunday" - Pip :D

fixed

Borat
02-01-2011, 01:21 AM
I'll just say this...

Karl Malone and Reggie Miller made me look righter than anyone else in sports.

I predicted their ultimate failure every season from like 1992 on and I never once tasted my words.

Those guys combined for damn near 40 years of failure with me being right about it every single time and people I know acting like I didnt know what I was talking about almost every time(96...everyone I knew was on the sonics side).

Mailman was great. No argument otherwise. Hes a totally deserving hall of famer...even if the HOF were not watered down with guys who didnt actually accomplish anything. Hes a legit HOF guy. Had an amazing career.

But he wasnt ever someone I took serious. Same with Reggie.

Great and all that. But I dont need my team to avoid them in the playoffs. If my team plays a guy in the playoffs and im looking past them....eh.

You are a well documented irrational hater of both superstar players. Nobody won in the 90's due to 2 exceptional players called MJ and The Dream. Take 2 players out of the 90's and Miller and Malone have a ring each.

Round Mound
02-01-2011, 01:36 AM
You are a well documented irrational hater of both superstar players. Nobody won in the 90's due to 2 exceptional players called MJ and The Dream. Take 2 players out of the 90's and Miller and Malone have a ring each.

When u mention Jordan u mention Pippen or get a slap in the head by real NBA fans.

Another thing...don`t mention Miller in the same sentence than Malone. Malone was far a better player not the 1 dimensional Miller

Borat
02-01-2011, 01:47 AM
When u mention Jordan u mention Pippen or get a slap in the head by real NBA fans.

Another thing...don`t mention Miller in the same sentence than Malone. Malone was far a better player not the 1 dimensional Miller

I'll mention whoever I want whenever I want you fat b@stard

:rockon:

Round Mound
02-01-2011, 02:38 AM
I'll mention whoever I want whenever I want you fat b@stard

:rockon:

:hammerhead:

bdreason
02-01-2011, 02:44 AM
Never liked Malone or the Jazz... hell of a player though.

The most remarkable thing about Malone was how he managed to change and improve his game over the years. Truely one of the hardest workers the game has ever seen.

dbugz
02-01-2011, 04:10 AM
K. Malone's mid range shot is money. Totally underrated. One of my favorite PF of all time eventhough he's a villain during the 90's era :applause:

JohnnySic
02-01-2011, 08:14 AM
Karl Malone is disliked because he's a black countryboy. Period. Nobody would care about the rape and all that if he was "ghetto". In fact, he'd probably get lauded for it (street cred).

So he never saw his daughter? Shawn Kemp and countless others probably have kids they dont even know about, but no one hates them for it because they're "cool".

jstern
02-01-2011, 01:18 PM
It's all about the rings. In a way that's a shame, because there are so many factors involved in getting a ring, and some players get overrated and underrated because of it. (By the way I hate Karl Malone as a person. Bad vibe.)

tpols
02-01-2011, 01:25 PM
Karl Malone is disliked because he's a black countryboy. Period. Nobody would care about the rape and all that if he was "ghetto". In fact, he'd probably get lauded for it (street cred).

So he never saw his daughter? Shawn Kemp and countless others probably have kids they dont even know about, but no one hates them for it because they're "cool".
This is so true.

I'm a huge kobe fan, but he legitimately raped a *****(if you read the 80 page police transcript, you'd see it was a very shady situation) and now no one gives a shit. But karl malone bangs some girl posing as an older girl and now he's the R. Kelly of the nba, meanwhile all of these guys all have a million kids by a bunch of different groupies and no one cares... straight hypocrisy.

jstern
02-01-2011, 01:54 PM
This is so true.

I'm a huge kobe fan, but he legitimately raped a *****(if you read the 80 page police transcript, you'd see it was a very shady situation) and now no one gives a shit. But karl malone bangs some girl posing as an older girl and now he's the R. Kelly of the nba, meanwhile all of these guys all have a million kids by a bunch of different groupies and no one cares... straight hypocrisy.
I don't believe Kobe did it. What was in the report?

Kblaze8855
02-01-2011, 02:03 PM

Please. You point me out the black guy we know ****ed a 12 year old who gets praised for the related "street cred".

Like I give a damn what shoes Karl Malone wears or if he drives a truck and goes fishing. Why would I? Hes damn near 50. From the country. Hes not supposed to be "hip hop". Ive lived in the south almost 20 years. I know a lot of black "country boys". None of which I have a problem with.

Shit...my grandfather was one.

Nobody gives a **** what Karl Malone has in his ipod.

JohnnySic
02-01-2011, 02:53 PM
Please. You point me out the black guy we know ****ed a 12 year old who gets praised for the related "street cred".

Like I give a damn what shoes Karl Malone wears or if he drives a truck and goes fishing. Why would I? Hes damn near 50. From the country. Hes not supposed to be "hip hop". Ive lived in the south almost 20 years. I know a lot of black "country boys". None of which I have a problem with.

Shit...my grandfather was one.

Nobody gives a **** what Karl Malone has in his ipod.

Well that's fine, but I think I'm right for the most part. And its not about what Malone is like now, more about what he was like and how he was perceived during his peak playing days. He was always overlooked, underappreciated, and just plain disliked. I think he'd have been regarded differently if he had a personality more like Barkley or Iverson or Kemp. The fact that he was tucked away in lilly-white Utah didn't help his cause either.

Kblaze8855
02-01-2011, 03:02 PM
Karl Malone was disliked by people for reasons totally unrelated to being country. Shit the players themselves voted him the dirtiest player in the league and he got more votes than any other 3 players combined.

You must think we are a bunch of 14 year olds in a BET sitcom to act like him being country is why hes hated on.

He was a bully who lost 19 years in a row and it just so happens had sex with a middle schooler and abandoned his kids.

To make that out to be an issue of street cred is just weak to me.

Im black..and I talk the way I type. And have since I was like 4. Ive had people ask if I try to sound "smart" because I dont talk "black". But you think my issue with Karl Malone is his lack of...hip hopness?

This isnt an afterschool special.

mlh1981
02-01-2011, 03:10 PM
He had a tremendous career and all, but for the life of me, I can't figure out why he didn't post up more when they played the Bulls in the finals. He could have KILLED Kukoc/Rodman, etc, but he settled for the outside jumpers. Just some of the decisions he made in pressure situations were infuriating.

rodman91
02-01-2011, 05:41 PM
He had a tremendous career and all, but for the life of me, I can't figure out why he didn't post up more when they played the Bulls in the finals. He could have KILLED Kukoc/Rodman, etc, but he settled for the outside jumpers. Just some of the decisions he made in pressure situations were infuriating.

at 1998 he was guarded by mostly Longley and Rodman. Longey had great height adventage and also had big body to deal with his posting skills ( 6'9 256 vs 7'2 292 ) And Rodman was one of the best one on one defender of all times. He used mostly his jumpers and sometimes quickness on Longley.And while rodman was defending him he tried to use his body and post up skills more (in game 5 for example) But you know Jazz offensive power was all on Malone so it made it very predictable. Basicly Pippen and Jordan was pressuring with double teams all the time so it wasnt easy for him to driving into the line or posting up. (hornacek,russel,stockton was all shooters and Ostertag had no idea about offense)

So bulls had best one on one defender and someone enjoy pychical play), Longley (some one can guard inside) and MJ&Pippen 2 of best perimeter defenders who are great at ball pressure,reading pass lines,quick hands.Even though he had some great games against that.

Only thing bad about him besides elbows&off court was joining Lakers as a role player for a ring.He was = Jazz that time. That was very cheap move from such a legendary player.

Round Mound
02-01-2011, 06:10 PM
IMO the Greatest "Run the Court-Recieve-Finish" Player of All Time

magnax1
02-01-2011, 06:22 PM
People don't hate Malone because he's a bully and has a bunch of kids out of marriage. You could find a shitload of players who did worse at both. Shawn Kemp had a bunch of kids who he ignored, was caught up in drugs and was supposedly the consummate douschebag of the NBA, and few people right paragraphs on how much they hate Shawn Kemp, because he was able to keep a good public image for the first half of his career by being a flashy athlete. You could list a bunch of guys like Shawn Kemp who did much worse then Malone, and the vast majority aren't hated like Malone.
People Hate Karl Malone because he didn't care about his public image. He was a country hick, and he acted like one and didn't really care if everyone knew that. Of course the other stuff just gave people an excuse to hate him for being what he was.

Kblaze8855
02-01-2011, 08:54 PM
Shawn Kemp did worse than have sex with a 7th grader when he was a junior in college?

I dont think you should be telling people why they feel what they do.

I didnt even hate Karl like...hate as a person...till the kid stuff came out. I thought he was overrated as hell...and an asshole(the bully stuff...his beef with Magic trying to play). But I didnt think he was as bad as I do now before that came out.

Shit just sickens me. And I dont feel like I need to go easy on someone for it because they play sports. Dude is sleeping with kids 4 years too young to get a beginners permit and shit. It just isnt ok.

It just so happens he was an overrated choking, bully, douche on top of it.

But none of it has to do with him being a "hick". Its a mans own business what he wants to listen to...or...drive...or...talk about. I dont care about that. I have a black friend who listens to nothing but christian rap and country music. Been one of my best friends for like 25 years. Why does any of that matter? We clown him a little but...you arent gonna hate a guy over it.

Karl is just a big mix of asshole qualities in one guy. And anyone else with that combo would be hated too. Karl Malone is like....if Bill Laimbeer is mixed with Rkelly. Its just not an easy to like combo.

His black countryboyness I couldnt care less about.

But I dont respect anyone I know for a fact ****s children. I got into a whole...thing...after Michael Jackson died with some friends of mine I thought were praising him a bit too much. And I dont even know what he did. Just that it was accused. Karl? I know.

And it just doesnt sit right to watch a guy like that be praised. Especially when I could probably go on for an hour strictly on basketball reasons why hes overrated to me.

None of it has a thing to do with his cowboy boots though.

magnax1
02-01-2011, 09:04 PM
I don't see how having sex with a 13 year old is on another level of immoral behavior then having 10 kids and basically ignoring all of them.

Kingsfans818
02-01-2011, 09:08 PM
People love winners

He was never able to raise to the moment and get it done
e
If you consider regular season accolades/performances, Malone >>>> Duncan

but a players legacy is defined @ a few games/moments and Malone just never rose up

Kingsfans818
02-01-2011, 09:09 PM
I don't see how having sex with a 13 year old is on another level of immoral behavior then having 10 kids and basically ignoring all of them.

dude come on, thats a slippery slope

don't compare pedophilia with negligence

magnax1
02-01-2011, 09:10 PM
dude common, thats a slippery slope

don't compare pedophilia with negligence
I guess everyone has different moral standards, so whatever, but I don't get the hate for Malone compared to a bunch of other guys.

ProfessorMurder
02-01-2011, 09:20 PM
Shawn Kemp did worse than have sex with a 7th grader when he was a junior in college?

I dont think you should be telling people why they feel what they do.

I didnt even hate Karl like...hate as a person...till the kid stuff came out. I thought he was overrated as hell...and an asshole(the bully stuff...his beef with Magic trying to play). But I didnt think he was as bad as I do now before that came out.

Shit just sickens me. And I dont feel like I need to go easy on someone for it because they play sports. Dude is sleeping with kids 4 years too young to get a beginners permit and shit. It just isnt ok.

It just so happens he was an overrated choking, bully, douche on top of it.

But none of it has to do with him being a "hick". Its a mans own business what he wants to listen to...or...drive...or...talk about. I dont care about that. I have a black friend who listens to nothing but christian rap and country music. Been one of my best friends for like 25 years. Why does any of that matter? We clown him a little but...you arent gonna hate a guy over it.

Karl is just a big mix of asshole qualities in one guy. And anyone else with that combo would be hated too. Karl Malone is like....if Bill Laimbeer is mixed with Rkelly. Its just not an easy to like combo.

His black countryboyness I couldnt care less about.

But I dont respect anyone I know for a fact ****s children. I got into a whole...thing...after Michael Jackson died with some friends of mine I thought were praising him a bit too much. And I dont even know what he did. Just that it was accused. Karl? I know.

And it just doesnt sit right to watch a guy like that be praised. Especially when I could probably go on for an hour strictly on basketball reasons why hes overrated to me.

None of it has a thing to do with his cowboy boots though.

Jesus Christ, was Gloria Bell your mom?

She met him at his college, it's not like he trawled around a middle school in a van trying to pick up middle schoolers. The f*ck was she doing at his college? You don't think she possibly lied about her age to him? You really think Karl was like, "How old are you? 13? Well, take those pants off!"

Her parents didn't even bring up a lawsuit against him for that, meaning they probably would've lost for some reason.

He wanted to have contact when he heard she was pregnant, the family said no and that it wasn't his. They finally sued him when he became a millionaire. How would that not put you off to trying to be involved in a kid's life? He is a part of his other illegitimate kids' lives, probably since he wasn't blackballed from their family, lied to and sued.

I don't care if you like him or not, you're not giving him a fair shake when literally thousands of people do the same thing daily. Have you ever seen an episode of Maury?

Fatal9
02-01-2011, 09:27 PM
Jesus Christ, was Gloria Bell your mom?

She met him at his college, it's not like he trawled around a middle school in a van trying to pick up middle schoolers. The f*ck was she doing at his college? You don't think she possibly lied about her age to him? You really think Karl was like, "How old are you? 13? Well, take those pants off!"

Her parents didn't even bring up a lawsuit against him for that, meaning they probably would've lost for some reason.

He wanted to have contact when he heard she was pregnant, the family said no and that it wasn't his. They finally sued him when he became a millionaire. How would that not put you off to trying to be involved in a kid's life? He is a part of his other illegitimate kids' lives, probably since he wasn't blackballed from their family, lied to and sued.

I don't care if you like him or not, you're not giving him a fair shake when literally thousands of people do the same thing daily. Have you ever seen an episode of Maury?
Not that I care much about personal lives of players anyways, but +1 to what you said. Every Karl Malone thread always turns into this.

Scoooter
02-01-2011, 10:06 PM
Children need love too.

Kblaze8855
02-01-2011, 11:03 PM
Really? He doesnt know a 6th-7th grader isnt grown...while "dating" for 2 months.... and there are other people molesting children? Thats a....point? That Karl isnt the old grown man ****ing children? That means what to me? You see me propping up anyone on Maury who I know is molesting peoples kids?

I swear this is the only guy on the planet I can remember being defended for being in a relationship with a little girl. Perhaps R.Kelly...but I dont remember it as well.

That its also a guy who made it a habit of kicking people in the balls, elbowing guys smaller than him in the mouth, being named the dirtiest player in the league, failing in the playoffs every single year for 2 decades, and trying to keep Magic out of the league...

Hard to understand really. Rare you get that much asshole and failure into one man....

To have all that in one package and still be defended? These guys have it good.

rodman91
02-02-2011, 11:19 AM
36 years old Malone
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7_R4H7u4jU
:bowdown:

Round Mound
02-02-2011, 05:42 PM
Malone when he finally developed a solid post game...was great.

SpecialQue
02-02-2011, 09:40 PM
"I'm gonna tell you a little something that you might not know about me...I smoke rocks."

-- Karl Malone

Lebron23
01-07-2012, 04:00 AM
I admired him for his longevity and durability. Malone rarely missed some games in his NBA tenure. I think he was heavily criticized for not winning an NBA title. The 1998 NBA Season was Malone's last chance to win an NBA title as the no.1 scoring option of his team. He put up more efficient numbers againts Rodman compared to his first trip in the finals.

DonDadda59
01-07-2012, 04:12 AM
Karl was the 80s-90s version of Lebron IMO. Awesome talent and could put up monster numbers and carry a team on his back... until the lights were shining brightest. Always seemed like he took a mental vacation when the stakes were highest. I swear every time there was a critical moment in the closing moments of a game against the Bulls, he either missed a key shot/free throw, had a turnover, or was in some way connected to the Jazz losing a close game.

Xiao Yao You
01-07-2012, 10:45 AM

The other kids didn't come into his life til he was a millionaire either. In Utah they made him out to be some saint for finally being a father to them. I'm sure they wouldn't have had anything to do with him either if he wasn't rich and famous. If I remember correctly their mother wasn't a whole older than the 13 year old. 15 or something.

As far as I'm concerned Stockton was the better player too.

pmj
01-07-2012, 11:43 AM
Karl was the 80s-90s version of Lebron IMO. Awesome talent and could put up monster numbers and carry a team on his back... until the lights were shining brightest. Always seemed like he took a mental vacation when the stakes were highest. I swear every time there was a critical moment in the closing moments of a game against the Bulls, he either missed a key shot/free throw, had a turnover, or was in some way connected to the Jazz losing a close game.

I think he, like Lebron, relied on his athleticism and strength too much and was lacking in real basketball skill.

I'm old enough to have watched him and, although I didn't follow him extremely close, he never seemed all that skilled to me at all. I never saw a true low post game. His jumper was pretty ok in later years. I just saw a 275 lb freak repeatedly rolling towards the basket and bowling people over (and he loved leading with the knee) after being setup by Stockton.

His numbers were impressive but his game wasn't, imo.

NugzHeat3
01-07-2012, 04:07 PM

Great post.

I said a similar thing in a Malone thread earlier.

He had several playoff moments where he actually stepped up, did decently in the 4th and didn't get enough help.