PDA

View Full Version : Ask Grinder anything about basketball.

Grinder
01-30-2011, 12:54 AM
You can check out more of my thoughts on my hoops blog (http://hoopsgrind.wordpress.com)
Highlight videos can be found on my Youtube channel. (http://www.youtube.com/visbol)
Work in progress.

I'm a huge basketball fan and I feel like I'm pretty well versed on anything NBA/NCAA/International/and some high school teams/players, so I encourage you to ask any basketball question/opinion you wish to know. :cheers:

A little bit about myself:
Favorite teams: Sixers (hometown team), Mavericks, T-Wolves
All time favorite players: Michael Jordan, Scottie Pippen, Shaq, Steve Nash, Charles Barkley, Shaq
Current players I'm a fan of: Blake Griffin, Demarcus Cousins, Steve Nash, Amar'e Stoudemire, Baron Davis, Kevin Love, John Wall, Ricky Rubio, Dirk Nowitzki
Favorite game: Bulls-Jazz NBA Finals '98 (entire series)

ReturnofJPR
01-30-2011, 12:56 AM
Can the San Antonio Spurs continue their pace? Why or why not?

Lebron23
01-30-2011, 01:01 AM
Prime Lamar Odom vs. Prime Horace Grant

Who's the better player?

Grinder
01-30-2011, 01:03 AM
Can the San Antonio Spurs continue their pace? Why or why not?

Provided they stay injury free, I don't see why not. What I love about the Spurs this season is the way they've spread out the scoring load without being so reliant on Duncan/Manu/Parker. They comfortably go 9-10 deep and that's a must for any championship contending team. There's always the concern for injuries with this team but Pop seems to be doing a great job massaging his stars' minutes.

The improved play of Richard Jefferson has to continue for this team to succeed as well. I really like their bench too. They've got all the elements of a championship team and I personally think they're slightly better than the Lakers.

ashbelly
01-30-2011, 01:05 AM
I need some of andrew bynum's high school Video clips.

Grinder
01-30-2011, 01:05 AM
Prime Lamar Odom vs. Prime Horace Grant

Who's the better player?

In terms of talent, I would say Lamar Odom easily.

Who would I want as a role playing power forward for a championship team with stars already in place? Horace Grant.

Still, Odom is the better player.

NuggetsFan
01-30-2011, 01:07 AM
What's your thoughts on Ty Lawson\Afflalo? ceilings,comparisons etc.

ashbelly
01-30-2011, 01:08 AM
Why is Hassan Whiteside not getting alot of playing time ?

DeronMillsap
01-30-2011, 01:08 AM
How good will Philly's Morris(Kansas) Twins be in the NBA?

LakerDefense8
01-30-2011, 01:09 AM
If you can take any player for one year to win the NBA Finals, who would you pick?

Stillatitdamnit
01-30-2011, 01:09 AM
Do you share my opinion that Griffin has a way higher ceiling than Howard?

Grinder
01-30-2011, 01:16 AM
What's your thoughts on Ty Lawson\Afflalo? ceilings,comparisons etc.

I really like both of these guys, more as good role players than star players, however.

Ty Lawson - already think he's better than a lot of starting PGs and would be awesome in an uptempo system like the Knicks run, possibly even better than Ray Felton. I think his ceiling is an 18/8 type of guy.

Arron Afflalo - I think he's a much better offensive player than he's given credit for and it'll be apparent after Melo leaves this season. Guys with his defensive and shooting ability are invaluable for good teams with a star swingman and he can pretty much fit into any situation. In the right situation he can be a 16 ppg guy with good defense on a very good team.

Batz
01-30-2011, 01:18 AM
Heat should've drafted that guy..

SoCalMike
01-30-2011, 01:19 AM
How long do you think Blake Griffin will be a Clipper?

:pimp:

Grinder
01-30-2011, 01:22 AM

1. Whiteside is still pretty raw and doesn't have a great idea of system basketball.
2. He's stuck behind 4 better players at the moment in Cousins, Landry, Dalembert and Thompson.

How good will Philly's Morris(Kansas) Twins be in the NBA?

I've seen these guys play since high school and have always thought they were NBA talents. Both guys are pretty versatile and can do a little bit of everything (Especially Marcus) but don't have star potential by any means. Marcus has more perimeter skills, but Markieff's a bit bigger and is a better rebounder/post defender. I can see Marcus being a start, but Markieff is probably a solid backup 4/5.

If you can take any player for one year to win the NBA Finals, who would you pick?

Despite my dislike for the guy, with the right supporting cast, it'd have to be LeBron James.

Do you share my opinion that Griffin has a way higher ceiling than Howard?
I wouldn't say way higher, because Howard is a pretty damn good player already, but yes, I do believe Blake can become an even better player than Dwight Howard simply due to his heavy offensive advantage over Dwight.

Al Thornton
01-30-2011, 01:24 AM

you're such a pathetic ****

EnoughSaid
01-30-2011, 01:26 AM
Do you honestly see the Celtics making another championship run? Why, or why not?

Grinder
01-30-2011, 01:27 AM

Provided they stay committed to winning and keep their nucleus of Gordon, DeAndre Jordan, Aminu, and Bledsoe, I say he'll be a Clipper for at least the next 8-10 years. Blake seems like a loyal guy, and I would love to see him turn the Clippers around into a bonafide playoff team.

They've already got talent and a Blake's really changed their culture, I could see them in the playoffs next year.

SoCalMike
01-30-2011, 01:28 AM
you're such a pathetic ****

dude, its a fair question... nothing pathetic about it. if you are a clipper fan, which you obviously are, you know how sterling does his players.

geez, don't get so EMO....

Al Thornton
01-30-2011, 01:33 AM
dude, its a fair question... nothing pathetic about it. if you are a clipper fan, which you obviously are, you know how sterling does his players.

geez, don't get so EMO....

huh?

Grinder
01-30-2011, 01:34 AM
Do you honestly see the Celtics making another championship run? Why, or why not?

Absolutely, but it has to be within the next two years.

Why? There's amazing balance on this team with veterans and young guys that know their roles, are content with them, and are capable of executing. It doesn't seem like anyone has their own agendas and there seems to be a really strong culture on this team to go along with a good front office and ownership that's committed to winning.

They've got all the elements for a championship team:
Rondo - great distributor, good defender, perfect point guard on this kind of team despite his abysmal shooting ability
Allen - keeps the other team's D honest at all times and has ice water in his veins
Pierce - the go to scorer and one of the most complete offensive players in the game
KG - the defensive enforcer and still plenty capable of providing offense when he needs to. One of the best mid range Js out there.
Shaq, Perkins, JO, Erden - tons and tons of size, no shortage of enforcers, and as we've seen, big man depth is crucial in the playoffs.
Big Baby, Nate Robinson, Delonte West, Marquis Daniels - all very good bench guys that can provide a spark when needed. Delonte West will be big for this team if he can return to 100% by the playoffs.

SHEED_ gangsta
01-30-2011, 01:36 AM
you're the GM the Toronto Raptors and are in need of a total Re-do what 3 or 4 players would you keep around?

DeronMillsap
01-30-2011, 01:39 AM
I've seen these guys play since high school and have always thought they were NBA talents. Both guys are pretty versatile and can do a little bit of everything (Especially Marcus) but don't have star potential by any means. Marcus has more perimeter skills, but Markieff's a bit bigger and is a better rebounder/post defender. I can see Marcus being a start, but Markieff is probably a solid backup 4/5.
I just watched their game against K-State, both guys showed they had multi-talented skills, even good passing abilities and court vision. I don't think they'll be stars either but both are definitely NBA-bound.

That Thomas Robinson kid had a great game too after his tough week.

Grinder
01-30-2011, 01:40 AM
you're the GM the Toronto Raptors are in need of a total Re-do what 3 or 4 players would you keep around?

I would keep DeMar DeRozan, Jerryd Bayless and Ed Davis.

I think Bargnani could fetch a decent player and he'd be a nice complimentary piece for an already good team. He's worn out his welcome in Toronto in my opinion and has shown that he can't be the number one (and probably not the number 2 option) on a good team.

Everyone else on the roster is expendable.

thomaspynchon
01-30-2011, 01:43 AM
is Dirkules Nowitzki the best player in the NBA?

SHEED_ gangsta
01-30-2011, 01:50 AM
I would keep DeMar DeRozan, Jerryd Bayless and Ed Davis.

I think Bargnani could fetch a decent player and he'd be a nice complimentary piece for an already good team. He's worn out his welcome in Toronto in my opinion and has shown that he can't be the number one (and probably not the number 2 option) on a good team.

Everyone else on the roster is expendable.

word

Grinder
01-30-2011, 01:51 AM
I just watched their game against K-State, both guys showed they had multi-talented skills, even good passing abilities and court vision. I don't think they'll be stars either but both are definitely NBA-bound.

That Thomas Robinson kid had a great game too after his tough week.

Pretty unbelievable what Robinson went through in the past month. I was really happy to see him have a good game today. :applause:

is Dirkules Nowitzki the best player in the NBA?

Nope.

SHEED_ gangsta
01-30-2011, 02:01 AM
will we see another quadruple double in the next decade? of all the players in the NBA who would you pick to have the next one?

Grinder
01-30-2011, 02:03 AM
will we see another quadruple double in the next decade? of all the players in the NBA who would you pick to have the next one?

I think there'll be one in the next decade. My best bet would be Rondo, Westbrook, or Wall (I think it's easier to get one with steals rather than blocks).

ReturnofJPR
01-30-2011, 02:08 AM
When it is all said and done who will be better, Carmelo Anthony or Kevin Durant? Do you judge better by stats, rings, or both?

LakerDefense8
01-30-2011, 02:10 AM
Is Thaddeus Young a part of the 76ers future?

fubu05
01-30-2011, 02:12 AM
When it is all said and done who will be better, Carmelo Anthony or Kevin Durant? Do you judge better by stats, rings, or both?

ooo, this is a good one.

hayden695
01-30-2011, 02:13 AM
I keep hearing other raps fans say we should draft Kyrie Irving (I think thats the name) wanna gimme the lowdown on him? Strengths and weaknesses.

I don't watch any college ball.

LilBTheBasedGod
01-30-2011, 02:14 AM
Whos gonna win? Lil B or Kevin Durant?

Grinder
01-30-2011, 02:47 AM

I think Kevin Durant will be better. Melo might have a more complete all around game, but Kevin Durant's physical attributes to go along with his deadly shooting ability makes him nearly impossible to guard.

I judge who's better by both winning and statistics, but more so winning. Obviously, I'm not going to go out and call Robert Horry a better player than Allen Iverson or Charles Barkley, but I would clearly take current Tim Duncan over Zach Randolph.

Is Thaddeus Young a part of the 76ers future?

If Iggy gets dealt, then absolutely. Thad's still young (no pun intended...ok, maybe a little) and has a lot of talent. I'd like the Sixers to give him a long term deal.

Grinder
01-30-2011, 02:52 AM
I keep hearing other raps fans say we should draft Kyrie Irving (I think thats the name) wanna gimme the lowdown on him? Strengths and weaknesses.

I don't watch any college ball.

For team's looking for their point guard of the future, Irving is the closest you'll find to a "sure thing" in the college ranks. There's no doubt in my mind that this kid is going to be a star. He reminds me of Chris Paul a bit. He's not a freakish athlete like Rose, Wall, Westbrook, etc. but he's still well above average and he couples it with great decision making, court vision, and good perimeter shooting.

Strengths:
- Shooting ability
- Decision making (knowing when to push the tempo and when to run the team in the half court)
- Court vision
- Leadership ability and maturity
- Crafty finisher around the rim

Weaknesses:
- A bit turnover prone
- Sometimes gambles on defense
- Solid, but not a lockdown defender

Definitely a guy that the Raptors could build around.

Whos gonna win? Lil B or Kevin Durant?

KD.

SleepyCorpse
01-30-2011, 03:04 AM
Why is the basketball always orange, think of all the merchandise they could sell if they let the ball change colors.

hayden695
01-30-2011, 03:24 AM
Thanks and repped.

Clutch
01-30-2011, 04:55 AM
What do you think would Knicks defense improve a lot if they fire D'Antoni and bring Jeff Van Gundy ?
Would it make Knicks a better team ?

What do you think would this team be a contender ?
Felton
Fields
Anthony
Stoudemire
Defensive C

Coach: Van Gundy

EoJ
01-30-2011, 05:19 AM
What do you think about the blazers? Will they make the playoffs? What do you think of LA, Batum, Mills?

alenleomessi
01-30-2011, 05:44 AM
Do your guts tell you Griffin will be the GOAT PF?
What do you think of Ekpe Udoh and Aminu?
And who are your all stars in the West?

PimpinZaZa
01-30-2011, 08:33 AM
Do you think the Hawks are really just a second round playoff team at best? Do you think they can compete in the next few years building around their current core? :cheers:

Grinder
01-30-2011, 12:39 PM
Why is the basketball always orange, think of all the merchandise they could sell if they let the ball change colors.

I've seen basketballs sold in all different colors.

What do you think would Knicks defense improve a lot if they fire D'Antoni and bring Jeff Van Gundy ?
Would it make Knicks a better team ?

What do you think would this team be a contender ?
Felton
Fields
Anthony
Stoudemire
Defensive C

Coach: Van Gundy

They would definitely improve defensively, but they'd probably take a step back offensively as well. I think D'Antoni is the right coach for this team, but a good defensive minded assistant similar to Tom Thibs for the Celtics would be a big help. With a solid bench, then I think that team has a chance at contending but are by no means a lock to win it.

Someone like Tyson Chandler, Marcus Camby or Marcin Gortat would really help the Knicks.

What do you think about the blazers? Will they make the playoffs? What do you think of LA, Batum, Mills?

Not a Blazers fan, but they look primed to make the playoffs with Aldridge's recent emergence. I liked their young core but Oden and Roy look like they'll pretty much never be injury free and that's pretty catastrophic to the franchise.

Aldridge - always thought of him as soft big with a nice jumper, but he's really come on lately and started playing more aggressively in the post. He deserves to be an all star this year.

Batum - a lot of people forget just how young this guy is, he'd still be a senior in college and is already an important contributor on a good team. If he's given more flexibility for his offensive role, he's got the potential to be one of the premier swingmen in the league.

Mills - he's a good shooter, has elite quickness, and has good court vision as well as slashing ability...so what's holding him back? I'm guessing his defense and size. I've always thought he could be similar to Tony Parker after watching his outbursts against Team USA a few years back.

8BeastlyXOIAD
01-30-2011, 12:46 PM
How good do you think Michael Beasley can be?

And who does his game remind you of?

Grinder
01-30-2011, 12:49 PM
Do your guts tell you Griffin will be the GOAT PF?
What do you think of Ekpe Udoh and Aminu?
And who are your all stars in the West?

He'll be great, but not the greatest PF of all time.

Ekpe Udoh - versatile big men that's going to be a good player, just don't see him as a center playing next to David Lee. He'll thrive next to a center that can pass like Bogut or Al Horford. Great shot blocker, solid jumper, and surprisingly good ball handling ability. Needs to get more minutes.

Aminu - not a star, but a sure fire rotation player and possibly starter as long as a he's part of the Clippers' future. I like his length and activity on offense, transition game and his ability to knock down the 3.

Western All Stars (fan vote included):
Chris Paul / Deron Williams / Russell Westbrook
Kobe Bryant / Manu Ginobili
Kevin Durant / Blake Griffin
Carmelo Anthony / Dirk Nowitzki / LaMarcus Aldridge
Pau Gasol / Tim Duncan (despite how much I would have liked to include Kevin Love)

Do you think the Hawks are really just a second round playoff team at best? Do you think they can compete in the next few years building around their current core? :cheers:

I do think the Hawks are a second round team at best. I don't think they can compete in the next few years because the Joe Johnson contract has really stifled their financial flexibility and they're going to have probably re-sign Jamal Crawford if they don't want to become worse. As good as this team is, they just don't have that extra gear that the elite teams do. I think the Bulls have surpassed them in the East.

Grinder
01-30-2011, 12:52 PM
How good do you think Michael Beasley can be?

And who does his game remind you of?

All star and elite scorer. 25 ppg/8 rpg/3 apg kind of guy.

He reminds me of a Carmelo Anthony.

8BeastlyXOIAD
01-30-2011, 12:53 PM
All star and elite scorer. 25 ppg/8 rpg/3 apg kind of guy.

He reminds me of a Carmelo Anthony.
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

How good is Thaddeus Young?

Whats up with his situation in Philly?

BTW How do you feel about Iggy and Brands contract situation?

bballnoob
01-30-2011, 12:55 PM
Haven't watched enough of Harrison Barnes. Is he still a top 5 talent, where do you see him getting drafted?

Xover
01-30-2011, 01:02 PM
is phoenix capable of making the playoffs this year and what is ur view on the current team.

8BeastlyXOIAD
01-30-2011, 01:03 PM
Yo Grinder, you watch college sports too?

Alright how good do you see Perry Jones becoming?

For_Three
01-30-2011, 01:17 PM
What do you think of the Darren Collison? Can he be a leader/star of the Pacers? Can he bring the Pacers back to greatness with the right people around him?

Theoo
01-30-2011, 01:18 PM
hey grynder what to you think of the peopels ignorence to the jumpball tip in these genration. people think it is a not important to the game.

Clutch
01-30-2011, 01:33 PM
hey grynder what to you think of the peopels ignorence to the jumpball tip in these genration. people think it is a not important to the game.
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Grinder
01-30-2011, 01:43 PM
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

How good is Thaddeus Young?

Whats up with his situation in Philly?

BTW How do you feel about Iggy and Brands contract situation?

Just answered the Young question. See previous post.

Both of their contracts suck. At least Brand's is up in a few years. I'd like to see Iggy traded for some expiring contract and a young prospect.

Haven't watched enough of Harrison Barnes. Is he still a top 5 talent, where do you see him getting drafted?

I'd pretty much written off Barnes until watching him play against NC State yesterday. Despite his streakiness and low shooting percentages, Barnes has hit a ton of clutch shots and can make shots on offense that few guys outside of Kobe and Wade can pull off. If he can consistently get around 18 ppg on decent percentages, he'll likely be a top 3 pick again.

is phoenix capable of making the playoffs this year and what is ur view on the current team.

I don't think the'll make the playoffs and I hate the way the team is currently built. They're going to waste away the last few years of Nash's career with this roster. VC is good for 18-20 points on low percentages, they've got a log jam at the 2-3 spots and Hakim Warrick, Robin Lopez, Marcin Gortat, and Channing Frye just aren't cutting it as playoff bigs.

Yo Grinder, you watch college sports too?

Alright how good do you see Perry Jones becoming?

Jones is a high risk, high reward kind of guy. 6'11" with good perimeter skills, great athleticism, solid face up potential, and a good passer. I'd probably take him if I had the number one pick. Ceiling - a T-Mac/Amar'e hybrid, but there's just as good of a chance of him being another Anthony Randolph/Austin Daye type.

What do you think of the Darren Collison? Can he be a leader/star of the Pacers? Can he bring the Pacers back to greatness with the right people around him?

Good, but not great point guard. He can be their point guard of the future but not their go to guy/star. He can't bring the Pacers back to greatness but he can be part of it.

LakerDefense8
01-30-2011, 02:38 PM
Top 5 players in the NBA, including playoff performance. Rank';em.

RainierBeachPoet
01-30-2011, 05:31 PM
Favorite teams: Sixers (hometown team), Clippers, Celtics

i would be interested in your interpretations of the clippers organization in light of their various (pre-griffin) draft picks... feel free to go back to their time in san diego and buffalo if you like.

(ernie digregorio and bob mcadoo were my fav braves! randy smith a close third)

Grinder
01-30-2011, 08:38 PM
Top 5 players in the NBA, including playoff performance. Rank';em.

1. Kobe Bryant (5 titles..2 finals MVP)
2. Dwyane Wade (finals MVP)
3. Lebron James
4. Dwight Howard (dominated in the playoffs to take the Magic to the finals)
5. Kevin Durant (still relatively unproven in the playoffs, but I look for him to change that this year)

i would be interested in your interpretations of the clippers organization in light of their various (pre-griffin) draft picks... feel free to go back to their time in san diego and buffalo if you like.

(ernie digregorio and bob mcadoo were my fav braves! randy smith a close third)

I would say that Donald Sterling is the worst owner in all of pro sports and one of the main reasons this team hasn't had much success over the last few decades.

08 - Eric Gordon (7) - great pick, but was pretty much the best player available
07 - Al Thornton (14 ) - not a bad pick in the middle of the first round
05 - Yarolav Korolev (12) - in front of Danny Granger and David Lee? AWFUL pick.
04 - Shaun Livingston (4) - can't really blame them here since Livingston looked like he had the makings of a star point guard before his horrific injury
03 - Chris Kaman (6) - he's made an all star team and has shown when he's healthy that he's one of the better centers in the league. Good pick.
02 - Chris Wilcox (8) and Melvin Ely (12) - drafting two raw, mediocre big men with the same skill set four picks apart? Whoever was in charge of these draft picks should have been fired.
01 - Tyson Chandler (2) - hard to argue at the time.
98 - MIchael Olowokandi (1) - arguably the worst draft pick of all time

Definitely way more fails than acceptable with all the high draft picks they've had.

hkfosho
01-30-2011, 08:43 PM
whos' the leading MVP candidate

Grinder
01-30-2011, 08:50 PM
whos' the leading MVP candidate

Derrick Rose.

TaLvsCuaL
01-30-2011, 09:13 PM
Why Gasol has gone from MVP candidate early in the season, to be the worst player in the world?

What is the underlying problem of his poor performance?

Do you feel that there has been overreaction?

Grinder
01-30-2011, 11:34 PM
Why Gasol has gone from MVP candidate early in the season, to be the worst player in the world?

What is the underlying problem of his poor performance?

Do you feel that there has been overreaction?

That's why you don't judge a player's season on a small sample size of games. Pau is what he is, a talented post scorer with great passing and good rebounding ability, but he's not primed to be the go to guy on a championship team.

At the end of the day he's still averaging 18/11/4/2 on over 50% and 80+FT% shooting.

As with everything on ISH, there definitely was an overreaction.

Maniak
01-30-2011, 11:57 PM
Who do you think is the true next Steve Nash?

Hopefully this hasn't been asked yet.

el gringos
01-31-2011, 12:47 AM
Who or what type of players would you put with Carmelo and Nene in the Denver frontcourt to make carmelo and nene most effective?

hkfosho
01-31-2011, 01:13 AM
Derrick Rose.

Ok, that's all I wanted to hear. Thank you sir :rockon:

Grinder
01-31-2011, 12:06 PM
Who do you think is the true next Steve Nash?

Hopefully this hasn't been asked yet.

I don't think there is a true "next Steve Nash" out there, but as far a NBA players go, I'd say Steph Curry in terms of pure shooting ability and running the pick and roll.

Who or what type of players would you put with Carmelo and Nene in the Denver frontcourt to make carmelo and nene most effective?

Probably a good long defensive center/pf like Tyson Chandler or Marcus Camby next to Nene and a solid defensive shooting guard like Afflalo who they currently have. I actually think the Nuggets are built pretty well.

Clutch
01-31-2011, 12:31 PM
Let's imagine Carmelo signs with Knicks in the off-season and Chandler leaves th team.

What CENTER would you sign or try to trade for ?
Would you even try to trade to pick up a center or you would leave the team as it is or maybe change some other position ?

christian1923
01-31-2011, 12:39 PM
Let's imagine Carmelo signs with Knicks in the off-season and Chandler leaves th team.

Would you even try to trade to pick up a center or you would leave the team as it is or maybe change some other position ?
The Knicks found a top flight center last night!!

pauk
01-31-2011, 12:46 PM
who is the better player in terms of talent

jordan or kobe

magic or lebron

drexler or wade

Clutch
01-31-2011, 12:48 PM
The Knicks found a top flight center last night!!
As much as I respect what Mozgov did last night he is not the center who I am looking for.

He is very big but he needs to improve on many things.
We should keep playing him and hope that he will develop into very good center.
He has the size,he even isn't a bad shooter for a center.

However,so far it's better to keep Mozgov in than to put Chandler and Williams to play at C position.

Scholar
01-31-2011, 12:58 PM
Do you think Jimmer Fredett will become a phenom in the NBA, or will he end up like Wally Sczerbiak or even Adam Morrison? In other words, will he be the next big thing or will he be the dude who was scoring 30+ in college but became just a role player in the NBA?
Hopefully this hasn't been asked already.

Grinder
02-01-2011, 03:30 PM

I'd try to trade for Hasheem Thabeet due to his ability to run the floor and block shots as well as give the Knicks a defensive presence. He could probably be had for Anthony Randolph straight up. Other than that, their roster looks pretty good.

Grinder
02-01-2011, 03:46 PM
who is the better player in terms of talent

jordan or kobe

magic or lebron

drexler or wade
More talented?
MJ, Lebron, Wade.

Grinder
02-01-2011, 07:55 PM
Do you think Jimmer Fredett will become a phenom in the NBA, or will he end up like Wally Sczerbiak or even Adam Morrison? In other words, will he be the next big thing or will he be the dude who was scoring 30+ in college but became just a role player in the NBA?
Hopefully this hasn't been asked already.
Fredette, in my opinion, will be a Mike Bibby type of point guard who'll thrive playing next to a SG who can shoulder the majority of the playmaking duties. The situation he's thrown into will go a long way on determining how successful he can be. If all goes well, it wouldn't be a stretch to see him as a 21 ppg/6 apg guy.

Walduś
02-01-2011, 08:01 PM
why is kobe so good?

Grinder
02-01-2011, 08:17 PM
why is kobe so good?
A culmination of hard work, natural talent, physical attributes and killer instinct.

hkfosho
02-01-2011, 08:18 PM
Why will kobe never be as good as michael?

Grinder
02-01-2011, 08:26 PM
Why will kobe never be as good as michael?
Because Jordan's culmination of all the above equals a greater player.

Funnyfuka
02-01-2011, 09:41 PM
what do you think of contracting the nba and removing almost half of the useless teams and merge the good players in 4 or 5 new teams?

Grinder
02-01-2011, 09:55 PM
what do you think of contracting the nba and removing almost half of the useless teams and merge the good players in 4 or 5 new teams?

I don't agree with it. I like the way the league is now with lots of teams with star players spread out.

Grinder
02-04-2011, 11:47 PM
Bump.

kidachi
02-05-2011, 12:10 AM
What do you think about the 2011 draft class?

how good or bad are they gonna be? what's your prediction?

Grinder
02-05-2011, 09:17 AM
What do you think about the 2011 draft class?

how good or bad are they gonna be? what's your prediction?

Not the deepest draft with a lot of high risk/high reward prospects towards the top.

Harrison Barnes has started to play well for UNC as of late and I wouldn't be surprised to see him go number one with Perry Jones having the most potential while Sullinger is the "sure thing".

My top 10:
1. Harrison Barnes
2. Perry Jones
3. Kyrie Irving
4. Jared Sullinger
5. Derrick Williams
6. Enes Kanter
7. Jonas Valanciunas
8. Terrence Jones
9. Jan Vesely
10. Kemba Walker

Nick Young
02-05-2011, 09:19 AM
Teodosic or Ricky Noobio

Do you think that Martell Webster would dominate euroleague with his height and amazing long range sharpshooting?

if Trajan Langdon the 6'0 shooter is a superstar over there wouldnt a taller version of him like Kyle Korver be even better and more unstoppable?

Grinder
02-05-2011, 09:26 AM
Teodosic or Ricky Noobio

Do you think that Martell Webster would dominate euroleague with his height and amazing long range sharpshooting?

if Trajan Langdon the 6'0 shooter is a superstar over there wouldnt a taller version of him like Kyle Korver be even better and more unstoppable?

For a team in need of a pure point - Rubio. For a team that shoots a lot of threes and will feature Teodosic as a 2nd/3rd option - Teodosic. I think Teodosic could be a star in the NBA if thrust into the right situation.

No I do not think that Martell Webster would dominate the Euroleague due to his inability to effectively create his own shot. He'd be a very good player, likely all-Euroleague, but he wouldn't dominate.

Langdon had some good years, but I wouldn't call him a superstar. He averages 8 points in 27 minutes in the Euroleague. Jamont Gordon is better than Langdon and he's on the same team. Korver, again, is a catch and shoot guy, meaning he needs someone to get him the ball in the right spots. You won't see Korver taking anyone off the dribble, even in Europe, so no he wouldn't dominate.

Old Duders Head
02-05-2011, 09:36 AM
Is there any footage of Jordan doing a 360 dunk?

Grinder
02-05-2011, 09:41 AM
Is there any footage of Jordan doing a 360 dunk?
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=michael+jordan+360&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbo=u&tbs=vid:1&source=og&sa=N&tab=wv&fp=d9844f08d4525a5

Nick Young
02-05-2011, 09:43 AM
rank these in game dunkers

Vince Carter
Blake Griffin
Michael Jordan
Jason Richardson
Kobe Bryant
Shaq

chips93
02-05-2011, 09:44 AM
what is your opinion of perry jones? his play has been perfectly between disappointing and great imo, is he a SF or PF in the nba? how do you see him as an nba player? his strengths are unlike any nba superstar, in that hes tall athletic and a good ball handler, how will his game translate, considering theres no real prototype for the kind of player he is becoming?

Clutch
02-05-2011, 10:04 AM
Do you watch Europe basketball ?

What do you think of this Croatia players:
Stanko Barać
Ante Tomić
Bojan Bogdanović

Could any of them they have a solid career in the NBA ?

hkfosho
02-05-2011, 10:05 AM

Vince Carter
Blake Griffin
Michael Jordan
Jason Richardson
Kobe Bryant
Shaq

I would go with:

1. Vince Carter
2. Kobe Bryant
3. Michael Jordan
4. Blake Griffin
5. Jason Richardson
6. Shaq

This is in terms of creativity and overall appeal of their dunks

Grinder
02-05-2011, 01:35 PM

Vince Carter
Blake Griffin
Michael Jordan
Jason Richardson
Kobe Bryant
Shaq

1. Vince Carter
2. Blake Griffin
3. Michael Jordan
4. Jason Richardson
5. Shaquille O'Neal
6. Kobe Bryant

what is your opinion of perry jones? his play has been perfectly between disappointing and great imo, is he a SF or PF in the nba? how do you see him as an nba player? his strengths are unlike any nba superstar, in that hes tall athletic and a good ball handler, how will his game translate, considering theres no real prototype for the kind of player he is becoming?
I think of Perry Jones as a high risk, high reward kind of guy. He's already got all the tools to be successful, but he doesn't seem to have to greatest motor. He'll dominate for stretches and then be invisible for long stretches. With him, I don't think it's a question of talent, but rather discipline and always playing hard.

I think he's a face up 4 at the NBA level. He's got the athleticism, ball handling skills, court vision, shooting ability, and defensive potential to be a superstar. Highest ceiling of any player in this draft, in my opinion.

Dionysus
02-05-2011, 01:38 PM
You agree that Blake Griffin is the best Player in Basketball?

Grinder
02-05-2011, 01:53 PM
Do you watch Europe basketball ?

What do you think of this Croatia players:
Stanko Barać
Ante Tomić
Bojan Bogdanović

Could any of them they have a solid career in the NBA ?

I watch European basketball, not as much as I used to, however.

Stanko Barac - he's doing really well in the ACB and he'll get way more money and minutes staying in Europe than he would in the NBA.

Ante Tomic - again, really skilled for a seven footer, but plays very soft. Still, he's one of the better big men in Europe, I can definitely see the Jazz bringing him over with their need for size.

Bojan Bogdanovic - the best prospect in Croatia by far. This kid's got great size and solid athleticism for the 2 guard spot. He'll probably be a first round pick. I can see him carving out a solid career in the NBA and possibly even starting.

Clutch
02-05-2011, 01:58 PM
I watch European basketball, not as much as I used to, however.

Stanko Barac - he's doing really well in the ACB and he'll get way more money and minutes staying in Europe than he would in the NBA.

Ante Tomic - again, really skilled for a seven footer, but plays very soft. Still, he's one of the better big men in Europe, I can definitely see the Jazz bringing him over with their need for size.

Bojan Bogdanovic - the best prospect in Croatia by far. This kid's got great size and solid athleticism for the 2 guard spot. He'll probably be a first round pick. I can see him carving out a solid career in the NBA and possibly even starting.

Thanks.
Do you maybe know when Bogdanović will enter NBA draft ?

Grinder
02-05-2011, 02:39 PM
Thanks.
Do you maybe know when Bogdanović will enter NBA draft ?

I've heard he'll declare this year.

Clutch
02-05-2011, 02:40 PM
I've heard he'll declare this year.
:cheers:

What do you think in which team he would fit in the best ?
What's the best team for him ?

I haven't watched him a lot but I heard that he is very good and I saw his stats are amazing,one of the best in Europe.

Grinder
02-05-2011, 02:49 PM

What do you think in which team he would fit in the best ?
What's the best team for him ?

I haven't watched him a lot but I heard that he is very good and I saw his stats are amazing,one of the best in Europe.

He'd fit well with a team in need of a dynamic scoring 2 guard - Jazz or Bulls would be the best fits IMO.

Jan95
02-05-2011, 03:07 PM
This year˙s Euroleague, who is going to win?

Clutch - Bogdanovic would be best fit for Bulls I think. However, I don`t know how, he would fit in NBA style of play...

zORi
02-05-2011, 03:13 PM
What are some of the changes you expect to see in the new CBA?

Grinder
02-05-2011, 03:25 PM
This year˙s Euroleague, who is going to win?

Clutch - Bogdanovic would be best fit for Bulls I think. However, I don`t know how, he would fit in NBA style of play...

Barcelona - I like the additions of Alan Anderson and Joe Ingles.

Clutch
02-05-2011, 04:03 PM
Good question :cheers:

zORi
02-05-2011, 04:24 PM
Good question :cheers:

Thanks, I tried to be different.

kNIOKAS
02-05-2011, 04:46 PM
a) what is proper rule with leg. is it violation when leg changes the direction where ball is going, or is it only when the defender kicks it intentionally, or what. i heard so many variations i want to know the truth.
b) can you block from behind. (usa and fifa interpretations if available)
c) can you poke the ball while facing the offensive player with your right hand, when offensive player handles ball with his right (eventually you turn the same way the off. player was going but yeah)? is it automatic foul/depends whether contact is made?

blablabla
02-05-2011, 04:59 PM
What position are you playing, what kind of player are you...

Grinder
02-05-2011, 08:30 PM
a) what is proper rule with leg. is it violation when leg changes the direction where ball is going, or is it only when the defender kicks it intentionally, or what. i heard so many variations i want to know the truth.
b) can you block from behind. (usa and fifa interpretations if available)
c) can you poke the ball while facing the offensive player with your right hand, when offensive player handles ball with his right (eventually you turn the same way the off. player was going but yeah)? is it automatic foul/depends whether contact is made?

Not a 100% sure but my interpretations are:
- When the ball is kicked, intentional or not
- I don't see why not
- Only a foul if contact is made

Zori - the CBA question is next

Grinder
02-06-2011, 12:37 PM

- Unguaranteed contracts
- Incentive based contracts
- Salary roll backs

Marquis Daniels
02-06-2011, 12:39 PM
What do you think of Rajon Rondo in terms of offensive production without the HOFs - disregard the shooting. Can he still get out-of-the-world assist numbers? Thoughts on other aspects of his offensive game?

Grinder
02-06-2011, 02:26 PM
What do you think of Rajon Rondo in terms of offensive production without the HOFs - disregard the shooting. Can he still get out-of-the-world assist numbers? Thoughts on other aspects of his offensive game?

He'd still be a good player, but not an all star and wouldn't average nearly as many assists. If surrounded by good shooters and an athletic big man, he'd still be pretty effective, however, the system and team structure he's in now is tailor made to take advantage of his strengths.

He's an excellent ball handler, extremely creative passer, and is a very crafty finisher around the rim.

StateProperty
02-06-2011, 02:48 PM
Do you see Jordan Hamilton as the most complete/NBA ready scorer in the next draft, as I do?

Grinder
02-06-2011, 03:01 PM
Do you see Jordan Hamilton as the most complete/NBA ready scorer in the next draft, as I do?

It's between him and Harrison Barnes for me.

I don't know why Hamilton is projected as a mid first rounder, I'd take him in the top 5. He's got everything you want in a swingman.

Grinder
02-06-2011, 08:21 PM
What position are you playing, what kind of player are you...

Average shooter, strong post moves, good rebounder and pesky defender.

monkeypox
02-14-2011, 07:41 PM
During the opening tip off, the ref throws the ball in the air and both players completely whiff and don't touch the ball. The ball bounces right at the ref, but in the act of trying to get out of the way, he slaps it hard and it and it takes an awkward high bounce before it actually falls in to the home basket. Does the point count? Who gets credit?

Grinder
02-18-2011, 04:04 PM
During the opening tip off, the ref throws the ball in the air and both players completely whiff and don't touch the ball. The ball bounces right at the ref, but in the act of trying to get out of the way, he slaps it hard and it and it takes an awkward high bounce before it actually falls in to the home basket. Does the point count? Who gets credit?

Has this ever happened before?

Clutch
02-18-2011, 04:05 PM
Best question so far.

DeronMillsap
02-18-2011, 04:21 PM
Which one of these young "jack-of-all-trade" players would you rather have on your team, Landry Field or Nic Batum?

Also, tell me a bit about Thad Young of your Sixers.

Maniak
02-18-2011, 04:58 PM
That is an amazing scenario.

GOBB
02-18-2011, 08:57 PM
Enes Kanter, Jonas Valanciunas.

Thoughts on their potential? What kind of games do they bring? Weaknesses at the next level?

Sixers could use some talent at the Center spot. Really dont see much in the next draft. But these two prospects seem to be rated high (draftexpress is the only site I put value in).

Think I read these two squared off. Did you see that game and I know Kanter has been put on ice (ncaa is weak). But what is the other guy doing as of today?

Grinder
02-18-2011, 09:09 PM
Which one of these young "jack-of-all-trade" players would you rather have on your team, Landry Field or Nic Batum?

Also, tell me a bit about Thad Young of your Sixers.

I really like Landry Fields, but I would take Nicolas Batum. They're both the same age, but I think Batum is a better defender and has more versatility on offense and the edge in athleticism as well.

Thad Young - hell of a player, unfortunately has been stuck playing the four for most of his career. He's a bit of a tweener, but I think if he ca improve his ball handling skills a bit and start knocking down 3s more consistently, he can definitely play the 3 full time. He's got elite athleticism, great physical attributes, but I can't really put my finger on one thing that he's great at. He's another one of your jack of all trades kind of guy. A few years ago, I thought he'd be a 20 ppg guy by this time, but that's just not the kind of player he is. More of a talented role player, than a go to guy or 2nd option.

Theoo
02-18-2011, 09:11 PM
grinder to u think beiber is worst defense player to play in the nba??

sirkeelma
02-18-2011, 09:24 PM
What are your thoughts on Toine coming to D-League? If he still can play in the NBA what team/s is a perfect fit for him?

Grinder
02-19-2011, 11:25 AM
Enes Kanter, Jonas Valanciunas.

Thoughts on their potential? What kind of games do they bring? Weaknesses at the next level?

Sixers could use some talent at the Center spot. Really dont see much in the next draft. But these two prospects seem to be rated high (draftexpress is the only site I put value in).

Think I read these two squared off. Did you see that game and I know Kanter has been put on ice (ncaa is weak). But what is the other guy doing as of today?

Enes Kanter - a strong back to the basket guy with a very complete offensive arsenal. I can't remember another young player with as many advanced post moves that this kid has. He's a legit 6'10" and probably around 260 and really knows how to throw his weight around to get good post position. He's not very athletic and won't make many plays above the rim, but he'll have no problem getting his shot off since he's so adept at creating space. He's a physical defender and gives good effort, but he'll never be a lock down post defender/great pick and roll defender. I'd say his potential is a taller, better jump shooting Al Jefferson. I'd like to see him play PF rather than C so he can use his size and strength more adequately.

I'm a big fan of Valanciunas. I first saw him this past year at the U18 European championships.

This is what I said back then:

He excels at the pick and roll and triple threat position facing the basket. I'd say he's a less athletic (still a good athletic), longer, more defensive oriented Amar'e Stoudemire type player.

He's probably 6'10" or 6'11" and has a long, long wingspan. Wouldn't be surprised if it was around 7'5+. He's already producing for a pretty good team in Europe which isn't common for a big man his age. Defensively he's got a ton of potential as an elite shot blocker and pick and roll defender. His jumper is coming along and he's developing a pretty nice jump hook.

Both of these guys have squared off a few times, I only caught one of the games and Kanter got the better of Valanciunas due to his strength and bulk advantage. Of the two guys, I'd say Valanciunas is the better prospect.

I'd love to have either guy on the Sixers, but they'll probably be long gone by the time the Sixers get their draft pick.

Nick Young
02-19-2011, 11:54 AM
Why is Ricky Rubio so overrated he's not even better than his team's backup PG

sundizz
02-19-2011, 12:09 PM
I follow the NBA completely but don't have time to follow college basketball.

1) Can you break down (in your opinion) the top 3 collegiate prospects. If you know about high school basketball, the top 3 high school basketball prospects as well.

2) In today's NBA what athleticism (out of 10) rating would you prime Mike, Kobe, Bron, Wade, and Blake

3) Where do you rank Lamarcus Aldrudge in terms of pfs and in overall league?

4) If Shaq and Wilt played 1 on 1 who would win?

5) Of the current All-Stars, which All Star do you believe would do best on the SAT if they had to take it tomorrow?

Grinder
02-19-2011, 02:49 PM
What are your thoughts on Toine coming to D-League? If he still can play in the NBA what team/s is a perfect fit for him?

Toine's averaging 16 points, 6 boards, and 4 assists a game on solid percentages, however, from what I've heard, he looks extremely out of shape and is far from being able to contribute in the NBA. He went bankrupt, somehow managing to blow $190 million in career earnings and is playing more out of necessity than love of the game. I think his best bet is to look for some teams in Europe/China and get a nice payday over there.

Sundizz - great questions. I'll answer those in a bit.

Dbrog
02-19-2011, 03:40 PM

Easy question...don't know why people having trouble answering it. They just re-tip it. You see it all the time.

GOBB
02-19-2011, 04:10 PM
Enes Kanter - a strong back to the basket guy with a very complete offensive arsenal. I can't remember another young player with as many advanced post moves that this kid has. He's a legit 6'10" and probably around 260 and really knows how to throw his weight around to get good post position. He's not very athletic and won't make many plays above the rim, but he'll have no problem getting his shot off since he's so adept at creating space. He's a physical defender and gives good effort, but he'll never be a lock down post defender/great pick and roll defender. I'd say his potential is a taller, better jump shooting Al Jefferson. I'd like to see him play PF rather than C so he can use his size and strength more adequately.

I'm a big fan of Valanciunas. I first saw him this past year at the U18 European championships.

This is what I said back then:

He's probably 6'10" or 6'11" and has a long, long wingspan. Wouldn't be surprised if it was around 7'5+. He's already producing for a pretty good team in Europe which isn't common for a big man his age. Defensively he's got a ton of potential as an elite shot blocker and pick and roll defender. His jumper is coming along and he's developing a pretty nice jump hook.

Both of these guys have squared off a few times, I only caught one of the games and Kanter got the better of Valanciunas due to his strength and bulk advantage. Of the two guys, I'd say Valanciunas is the better prospect.

I'd love to have either guy on the Sixers, but they'll probably be long gone by the time the Sixers get their draft pick.

Appreciate the feedback man. Good stuff to read. You got me intrigued by Valanciunas now. :oldlol:

Grinder
02-23-2011, 10:59 AM
I follow the NBA completely but don't have time to follow college basketball.

1) Can you break down (in your opinion) the top 3 collegiate prospects. If you know about high school basketball, the top 3 high school basketball prospects as well.

2) In today's NBA what athleticism (out of 10) rating would you prime Mike, Kobe, Bron, Wade, and Blake

3) Where do you rank Lamarcus Aldrudge in terms of pfs and in overall league?

4) If Shaq and Wilt played 1 on 1 who would win?

5) Of the current All-Stars, which All Star do you believe would do best on the SAT if they had to take it tomorrow?

Top 3 college prospects:
1. Perry Jones (6'10" PF/SF) - Baylor: This guy's got a ton of potential, but he's far from being able to come into the NBA right away and contribute 18-20 ppg in his rookie/sophomore years. He's a long, extremely athletic combo forward with great ball handling and passing ability. His shot is streaky right now and his motor is questionable, but he's got great activity around the rim and could certainly become a superstar if he can play the game at full intensity every night. Right now he's pretty much just getting by on talent and still averaging 14/7 on 57% shooting while playing with one of the best scorers (and biggest ball hogs) in college basketball.

2. Kyrie Irving (6'2" PG) - Duke: Irving was having a stellar season before he had that toe injury and has been forced to sit out the past few months. He's a good, but not elite athlete that knows how to run a team, shows great leadership, court vision, and has a nice stroke from deep. He plays with great intensity on defense and really reminds me of a young Chris Paul. He was already the best player on the defending champion Duke team as a freshman.

3. Jared Sullinger (6'9" PF) - Ohio State: People question Sullinger's upside, but most NBA teams would be happy even if Sullinger happened to be a finished product already. He's a 6'9" 270 lb. tank that's a beast on the block , has a nice touch, and is more athletic than he's given credit for. He's already the most dominant big man in the country in college ball and is regularly seeing double and triple teams while putting up 18/10 on 56% from the field. His jump shot shows promise as well.

High school (seniors only):
1. Austin Rivers - awesome offensive arsenal and ball handling skills. Slightly undersized at the 2, but will be a dynamic scorer the second he steps on court at Cameron Indoor.
2. Michael Gilchrist - potential to be an elite defender, extremely explosive, and great work ethic. Offensive game is a bit unpolished right now, but I have no doubts he'll refine it next year under Coach Cal at Kentucky.
3. Quincy Miller - 6'9" PF/SF who's a matchup nightmare. Very athletic with a ton of moves both inside and out. He's got a nice jumper with range from the NBA 3 pt. line and has all sorts of crafty ways to score.

2. Athleticism:
Prime MJ: 9.5
Kobe Bryant: 9
Lebron James: 9.5
Dwyane Wade: 9
Blake Griffin: 9.5

3. At the moment, I'd say Aldridge is third only to Amare Stoudemire and Dirk with his play since Roy has gone down.

4. Shaq, easily.

5. Pau Gasol seems like an intelligent guy.

blablabla
02-23-2011, 11:56 AM
what do you think of brandon knight

Grinder
03-01-2011, 12:09 AM
what do you think of brandon knight

Dynamic scoring combo guard who's more effective as a shoot first PG.

He's probably best suited next to a playmaking shooting guard like Brandon Roy or Dwyane Wade. He's got a sweet stroke and reminds me a lot of a Mike Bibby/Jason Terry hybrid.

thatoneblackguy
03-01-2011, 12:11 AM
Is there a rule in a player's contract stating they cannot get off the floor unless a teammate helps them?

Also, what's the deal with receiving high fives after missing a free throw?

Rose
03-01-2011, 12:11 AM
What are your thoughts on Jordan Hamilton of Texas?

Grinder
03-01-2011, 12:58 AM
Is there a rule in a player's contract stating they cannot get off the floor unless a teammate helps them?

Also, what's the deal with receiving high fives after missing a free throw?

1. No
2. Routine. Pick me up for the guy who just missed it.

Grinder
03-01-2011, 01:01 AM
What are your thoughts on Jordan Hamilton of Texas?

Probably the most complete wing scorer in all of college basketball.

Guy can do it all offensively and is a high volume scorer. Good size for the 2 and the 3 and a good rebounder for either position. Doesn't really seem to do much on defense but offensively he's the complete package. Few guys can put the ball in the hoop like he can.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him put up 16-18 ppg in his rookie season in the right situation.

Rose
03-01-2011, 01:07 AM
Probably the most complete wing scorer in all of college basketball.

Guy can do it all offensively and is a high volume scorer. Good size for the 2 and the 3 and a good rebounder for either position. Doesn't really seem to do much on defense but offensively he's the complete package. Few guys can put the ball in the hoop like he can.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him put up 16-18 ppg in his rookie season in the right situation.
Agreed, I had my eye on him for my Bulls since in the preseason he was a late 20s or so draft pick, now he's looking mid lottery.

TinselTime12
03-01-2011, 01:20 AM
Who do you think would win in a 7 game series in the playoffs, the Lakers or the Spurs?

Grinder
03-02-2011, 01:04 AM
Agreed, I had my eye on him for my Bulls since in the preseason he was a late 20s or so draft pick, now he's looking mid lottery.

If Texas makes a deep run in the tournament, I could see Hamilton going top 10.

Who do you think would win in a 7 game series in the playoffs, the Lakers or the Spurs?

Lakers are more talented but I think they have too many mental lapses throughout the course of the game which the Spurs take advantage of better than any other team in the league.

Granted everyone is healthy, Spurs win in 6.

Al Thornton
03-13-2011, 07:17 PM
how good do you think paul george will be?

Jasi
03-13-2011, 07:18 PM
I just want to get some good non Heat/Lakers/Lebron/Kobe/proposed trade discussion going with people that have similar interests in the aspects of the game I'm interested in.

I'm a huge basketball fan and I feel like I'm pretty well versed on anything NBA/NCAA/International/and some high school teams/players, so I encourage you to ask any basketball question/opinion you wish to know. :cheers:

A little bit about myself:
Favorite teams: Sixers (hometown team), Clippers, Celtics
All time favorite players: Michael Jordan, Scottie Pippen, Shaq, Steve Nash, Charles Barkley
Current players I'm a fan of: Shaq, Blake Griffin, Demarcus Cousins, Steve Nash, Amar'e Stoudemire, Baron Davis, Kevin Love, John Wall
Favorite game: Bulls-Jazz NBA Finals '98 (entire series)

Why is a player that you're not a fan of in your avy?

Grinder
03-13-2011, 07:20 PM
how good do you think paul george will be?

I've been high on George for a while and a lot of his development into a potential star player depends on his coach. Vogel at the helm should be a good thing for him since he seems to believe in George.

He's got elite athleticism, great size (6'9" and long) for either the or 3 spots, great range, good defensive attributes and workable handles but the one major flaw I see in his game is he tends to overdribble and gets himself into trouble doing that.

If he can put it all together within the next two years and improve his ball handling and playmaking skills, I can see him as a fringe all star at some point.

AlphaWolf24
03-13-2011, 07:21 PM
Where would you rank a 35 year old Kobe Bryant(amongst the greatest players ever) with 7 NBA Titles?

(Most likely 4 Finals MVP's, 2- 3 League MVP's , #2 alltime scorer , 9 - 10 NBA Finals appearances)

Grinder
03-13-2011, 07:21 PM
Why is a player that you're not a fan of in your avy?

Who says I'm not a fan of Evan Turner?

I just listed a few guys that are my favorites right now in the first post, I like several other players.

Grinder
03-13-2011, 07:23 PM
Where would you rank a 35 year old Kobe Bryant(amongst the greatest players ever) with 7 NBA Titles?

(Most likely 4 Finals MVP's, 2- 3 League MVP's , #2 alltime scorer , 9 - 10 NBA Finals appearances)

1. Michael Jordan
2. Wilt Chamberlain
3. Kareem Abdul Jabbar
4/5. Magic Johnson/Larry Bird
6. Kobe

Jasi
03-13-2011, 07:26 PM
Who says I'm not a fan of Evan Turner?

I just listed a few guys that are my favorites right now in the first post, I like several other players.

Cool.

1) Who will end up having a better career and why: Eric Gordon, Danilo Gallinari, or Michael Beasley?

I forgot the (2) :D
I'll write it later

PullupJay
03-13-2011, 07:28 PM
Hi Grinder, I have a hypothetical question.

If Tracy McGrady and Grant Hill never got injured, how far do you think the Magic would of gotten? any championships?

How do you think they would rank as individual talents at the end of their careers?

thanks.

AlphaWolf24
03-13-2011, 07:31 PM
1. Michael Jordan
2. Wilt Chamberlain
3. Kareem Abdul Jabbar
4/5. Magic Johnson/Larry Bird
6. Kobe

amazing.

Jasi
03-13-2011, 07:42 PM
there you go

2)
Who's you all-time favourite 76er?

3)
Considering their primes, how would this team fare?
Sarunas Jasikevicius
Manu Ginobili
Carlos Delfino
Dirk Nowitzki
Andris Biedrins

4)
What current star would you want as the 76ers franchise player if it was possible?

Grinder
03-13-2011, 07:46 PM
Cool.

1) Who will end up having a better career and why: Eric Gordon, Danilo Gallinari, or Michael Beasley?

I forgot the (2) :D
I'll write it later

Tough question because I think highly of all 3 of these guys. :oldlol:

I'd go with Eric Gordon because he's already one of the best scorers in the league and does most of it without the benefit of the whistle. He's the complete offensive package and has shown the ability to run the pick and roll very well with Blake Griffin. He's a very good defender so his size doesn't really seem to hinder him as well making the undersized tag irrelevant.

Gallinari and Beasley I see as 2nd options on good teams. I really, really like Gallinari, wish he would have stayed a Knick. He could be a 22-24 ppg scorer and his athleticism is very underrated.

Grinder
03-13-2011, 08:25 PM
Hi Grinder, I have a hypothetical question.

If Tracy McGrady and Grant Hill never got injured, how far do you think the Magic would of gotten? any championships?

How do you think they would rank as individual talents at the end of their careers?

thanks.

I think they could have won a championship or two.

Tracy McGrady without injuries would have been one of the greatest scorers of all time. He definitely would have been an MVP candidate year in and year out.

Grant Hill without injuries would have been similar to Lebron James with a better midrange game. Unbelievable player. It's a shame he had all those injuries. Like T-Mac, he probably would have warranted MVP consideration year in and year out.

Grinder
03-13-2011, 08:31 PM
there you go

2)
Who's you all-time favourite 76er?

3)
Considering their primes, how would this team fare?
Sarunas Jasikevicius
Manu Ginobili
Carlos Delfino
Dirk Nowitzki
Andris Biedrins

4)
What current star would you want as the 76ers franchise player if it was possible?

2. Charles Barkley
3. I'm not sold on how good Saras would be in the NBA, even in his prime. Delfino and Biedrins are weak starters on a good team, so I'd say they'd probably be a 5th or 6th seed in the East and fighting for the 7th or 8th in the West.
4. Blake Griffin

STATUTORY
03-13-2011, 08:33 PM
What type of player do you project Evan Turner to become?

hkfosho
03-13-2011, 08:43 PM
Why do you have evan turner as your avy?

Grinder
03-13-2011, 08:44 PM
What type of player do you project Evan Turner to become?

Similar to Brandon Roy without the range.

Grinder
03-13-2011, 08:45 PM
Why do you have evan turner as your avy?

I'm a Sixers fan. Why not?

chairman
03-27-2011, 08:11 PM
Bump.

How much better is rose then westbrooke? And do you think the bulls make the finals, if not who can stop them?

Grinder
03-27-2011, 09:37 PM
How much better is rose then westbrooke? And do you think the bulls make the finals, if not who can stop them?

EDIT: Misread.

I don't think the Bulls will make the finals. Celtics will stop them.

hkfosho
03-27-2011, 09:40 PM
He isn't.

I don't think the Bulls will make the finals. Celtics will stop them.

You don't think Rose is better than Westbrook? Tell me why.

Grinder
03-27-2011, 09:42 PM
You don't think Rose is better than Westbrook? Tell me why.

Ah read that wrong. I thought he said how much better is Westbrook than Rose.

Rose is better, but not by a huge margin.

Better jump shooter, craftier finisher, tighter handle.

Bandito
03-27-2011, 09:43 PM
You're a Sixers fan and in your all time favorite list Allen Iverson is not included? Why?

Grinder
03-28-2011, 12:34 AM
You're a Sixers fan and in your all time favorite list Allen Iverson is not included? Why?

I was never a huge fan of the iso, ball dominating style he played. I don't like the fact that the team needed to be filled with defensive players to cover his short comings and allow him to dominate the ball. Even in the years that we were consistently deep in the playoffs, there wasn't a reliable scorer behind AI.

DirkNowitzki41
03-28-2011, 12:50 AM
What are your expectations on the Mavs in this years playoffs?

KB2clutch
03-28-2011, 12:53 AM
hypothetical situation: if your life depended on it, and you had to score one basket on an NBA player given three attempts, which NBA player, past or present, would you choose and why, also what do you think your odds are of making the shot

Grinder
03-28-2011, 04:11 PM
What are your expectations on the Mavs in this years playoffs?

Depends on who they play in the first round. Right now it lo like the Blazers which would be a tough matchup. If they get out of the first round, I can't see them beating a healthy Lakers team, so I'll say second round at best.

They've got the talent, but not the consistency, to win it all.

Grinder
03-28-2011, 04:13 PM
hypothetical situation: if your life depended on it, and you had to score one basket on an NBA player given three attempts, which NBA player, past or present, would you choose and why, also what do you think your odds are of making the shot

Muggsy Bogues or Earl Boykins because I have a huge height and size advantage on them and I could probably back them under the basket and shoot over them. Given three attempts - I'd like my chances.

brownmamba00
04-06-2011, 01:30 PM
Would you agree if I told you Dwight=best player in the L?

Grinder
04-06-2011, 01:43 PM
Would you agree if I told you Dwight=best player in the L?

Not the clear cut best player. One of the best, yes.

Grinder
01-17-2012, 12:12 PM
Ask away.

Clutch
01-17-2012, 12:13 PM
Ask away.
What do you think about the Knicks slow start ?
Will Baron Davis make a difference when he comes back ?

How far can this team go in the playoffs ?

RRR3
01-17-2012, 12:15 PM
Ask away.
Where's your boy euroleague? :lol
Was Spanoulis really as bad as his stats or could he have done better?
What's up with LBJ in the 4th quarters lately (he was great in 4th quarters w/ Cleveland and in the ECSF and ECF last year)
Mario Chalmers=MIP?

StateOfMind12
01-17-2012, 12:16 PM
I have a few....

1. Who are the top 5 players in the NBA to you?

2. If the Heat and Bulls meet in a playoff series again which is likely, who do you think would win the 7 game series? Do you think the series could go either way or do you think it will be lopsided?

3. Which tool do you use to judge players more, actually watching the games or stats?

Grinder
01-17-2012, 12:28 PM
What do you think about the Knicks slow start ?
Will Baron Davis make a difference when he comes back ?

How far can this team go in the playoffs ?

Athough I never expected them to be an elite team right off the bat, I'll admit that I am surprised at how poorly the Knicks have started this season. The defense certainly looks improved with the addition of Tyson Chandler but I'm shocked at how mediocre offensively a team with two of the best scorers in the game looks.

Melo has been productive, but I still see way too many offensive possessions where he'll have the ball at the top of the key for a good 10-15 seconds and four teammates are camped out around the 3 point line not in rebounding position and not involved in the play. To compound that, Amare has played some of the worst basketball I've seen him play in years, Toney Douglas and Landry Fields have been horrible, and there's no true quality on the bench. I'm sure this team will be better, but they definitely need more ball movement and another good wing player. If I were D'Antoni, I'd start Shumpert, Billy Walker, Melo, Amare, and Chandler. I think Douglas is at his best as a 6th man combo guard and Jerome Jordan needs to see some playing time.

A motivated, healthy Baron Davis can work wonders for this team and if he plays like he did for the Cavs last season, I have no doubt he'll have a big impact for the Knicks. Just having a pass first point guard with good court vision and the versatile offensive skillset that Baron has should add some much needed wrinkles to their lackluster offense.

With a healthy Baron Davis, and Melo , Amare, and Chandler all playing well, this team is easily good enough to get to the second round – conference finals? Maybe.

alenleomessi
01-17-2012, 12:34 PM
who will win the mvp and the championship?

Clutch
01-17-2012, 01:49 PM
[QUOTE=Grinder]Athough I never expected them to be an elite team right off the bat, I'll admit that I am surprised at how poorly the Knicks have started this season. The defense certainly looks improved with the addition of Tyson Chandler but I'm shocked at how mediocre offensively a team with two of the best scorers in the game looks.

Melo has been productive, but I still see way too many offensive possessions where he'll have the ball at the top of the key for a good 10-15 seconds and four teammates are camped out around the 3 point line not in rebounding position and not involved in the play. To compound that, Amare has played some of the worst basketball I've seen him play in years, Toney Douglas and Landry Fields have been horrible, and there's no true quality on the bench. I'm sure this team will be better, but they definitely need more ball movement and another good wing player. If I were D'Antoni, I'd start Shumpert, Billy Walker, Melo, Amare, and Chandler. I think Douglas is at his best as a 6th man combo guard and Jerome Jordan needs to see some playing time.

A motivated, healthy Baron Davis can work wonders for this team and if he plays like he did for the Cavs last season, I have no doubt he'll have a big impact for the Knicks. Just having a pass first point guard with good court vision and the versatile offensive skillset that Baron has should add some much needed wrinkles to their lackluster offense.

With a healthy Baron Davis, and Melo , Amare, and Chandler all playing well, this team is easily good enough to get to the second round

zac
01-17-2012, 01:53 PM
How do you feel about this Grizzlies team compared to last years team, especially once Randolph comes back to solidify the front court?

Conley/Selby/Pargo
Allen/Mayo
Gay/Pondexter/Young
Randolph/Speights/Cunningham
Gasol/Haddadi

Also how do you feel about Speight production after coming to the Grizzlies. He's seriously impressed me.

Grinder
01-17-2012, 02:45 PM
Where's your boy euroleague? :lol
Was Spanoulis really as bad as his stats or could he have done better?
What's up with LBJ in the 4th quarters lately (he was great in 4th quarters w/ Cleveland and in the ECSF and ECF last year)
Mario Chalmers=MIP?

1. Probably trolling Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:Contributions&limit=500&target=173.216.237.132).
2. Spanoulis is definitely a better player than his stats/what he showed in the NBA. He could probably be a decent bench guard for most teams but he doesn't seem to be able to accept being a role player.
3. I think it's some if it is because of indecisive play and some because of the scrutiny of the media magnifying his every move since joining the Heat . He also knows Wade and Bosh can hit the big shots and play off him and at those times he's best suited to being a facilitator. Check out how nervous and uncomfortable he looked in the 4th/OT against the Warriors and Clippers (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHFHX-tzs7Y&context=C3d826c7ADOEgsToPDskIBPhr8PFvWvn6BgcL_ffvK ).
4. I really don't think Chalmers has much of a chance at MIP. He might on another team but his opportunities are always going to be limited with Wade, Bosh, and Lebron and then he's got Norris Cole breathing down his neck too.

Jasi
01-17-2012, 02:49 PM
1. Probably trolling Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:Contributions&limit=500&target=173.216.237.132).

:roll:
That note about Rubio's award in Europe is definitely his style

chips93
01-17-2012, 02:49 PM
why are you called grinder?

AlphaWolf24
01-17-2012, 03:34 PM
why didn't you answer who the top 5 players are??

Grinder
01-17-2012, 03:49 PM
I have a few....

1. Who are the top 5 players in the NBA to you?

2. If the Heat and Bulls meet in a playoff series again which is likely, who do you think would win the 7 game series? Do you think the series could go either way or do you think it will be lopsided?

3. Which tool do you use to judge players more, actually watching the games or stats?

1. Lebron James, Kevin Durant, Dwight Howard, Kobe Bryant, Derrick Rose

2. Good question....this is a tough one. I think the Heat would squeak it out in 7.

3. Watching the games by far, but stats are always important to check for confirmation

Alamo
01-17-2012, 03:51 PM
I don't know if this has been asked before, but how far will the Sixers get this year in the playoffs? (I haven't watched them play at all this season)

GOBB
01-17-2012, 04:16 PM
Talk about the 2012 NBA draft prospects a bit.

Its only Jan so chances are the same questions can be asked with difference answers. We all know March Madness has turned players into overnight sensations. Guys who you figured would more likely come out a year later end up coming out in this years draft. Tyrus Thomas is one who comes to mind.

But for now, what of the 2012 NBA prospects has impressed you and who hasnt? For me Perry Jones just has me 2nd guessing what to expect of him at the next level. I dont know if he has "it". He looks the part and you want to think all he needs to do is work on x, y, and z and bam you got a stud. I dont know if he has that hunger, determination to be as great as people make him out to be. That passion, leadership quality, killer instinct. I hate to think of him as an athletic kid who is just getting by for now.

Any thoughts on Harrison Barnes, Jeremy Lamb, Brad Beal, Austin Rivers, Marquis Teague and others who could be in the 2012 draft?

Any sleepers or guys who are under the radar. They are known but not popular per say. Like Kevin Jones who ate Perry Jones breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks. He's been consistently productive this year. Any guys like that you think people should keep an eye out on.

Any chance Tony Wroten comes out or too early to say? Like I said some of these questions are a bit premature in that a really good March run could determine a whole lot. But a guy like Austin Rivers has to look over his shoulder at someone like him no? He could be the reason you decide to return to school and try your luck in 2013 lottery.

You know I'm a Sixers fan, so any PF prospects to replace Brand? I'd prefer a guy who is a damn good rebounder moreso than someone who can give you lights out offense.

Fiba basketball
01-17-2012, 04:31 PM
Who will win Euroleague , Top 10 European players ( under fiba rules ) , top 3 European players at every position ? Was Dirk the best player on the world last year , can Dalas win Nba again ? Top 5 fastest players on the world , top 3 3pt shooters in his prime last 10 years , best dunk and best pass you ever saw ? What Nt do you think are best in the world , what do you think are 5 best basketball countries ? Please awnser all my questions .

Grinder
01-17-2012, 07:59 PM
who will win the mvp and the championship?

MVP: Lebron James
Championship: Oklahoma City

I agree with most of the things.

But Bill Walker shouldn't be starting. He's dumb as a rock,only chuck shots and doesn't make any impact on the game when his shot isn't falling (more often than not).
I'm not saying Douglas or Fields are good but I would much rather start them at shooting guard than Billy "offensive foul" Walker.

I totally approve giving Jerome Jordan more playing time. I also think Balkman should get more burn,instead of Walker.

Baron might do wonders for this team but this experiment might fail badly.
We need to wait and see.

He isn't the most cerebral player, but I feel the Knicks need to shake up their starting lineup/rotation a bit. Any change to bring some life into the team. Looks like Jerome Jordan is going to get more playing time....in the D-League. :rolleyes:

I think Balkman should play instead of Jeffries, he just needs to stop shooting jumpers. The thing with Baron is that he can't possibly be worse than the point guard production they've been getting, and he'll instantly step in and become their best playmaker, and it's fairly low risk signing.

I'll get to the rest of the questions in a bit - answering them all in order.

Maniak
01-17-2012, 08:02 PM
Who are your favorite teams to watch this year? Who will turn some heads come late season/playoff time?

Talk about LaMarcus Aldridge and how his career may go. If he will stay in portland, if he is a #1 option, etc.

Grinder
01-18-2012, 12:19 PM
I don't know if this has been asked before, but how far will the Sixers get this year in the playoffs? (I haven't watched them play at all this season)

I'll be able to answer this a lot a better after the upcoming tough stretch of games the Sixers have, but what's the fun in that? I think the Sixers have a good shot at the second round but I can't see them beating the Heat or the Bulls.

Grinder
01-18-2012, 12:28 PM
How do you feel about this Grizzlies team compared to last years team, especially once Randolph comes back to solidify the front court?

Conley/Selby/Pargo
Allen/Mayo
Gay/Pondexter/Young
Randolph/Speights/Cunningham
Gasol/Haddadi

Also how do you feel about Speight production after coming to the Grizzlies. He's seriously impressed me.

I feel the Grizzlies team this year could be better than last year's team with a healthy Zach Randolph. Right now, their depth is really suffering and simply put, guys like Josh Davis, Dante Cunningham, and Marreese Speights should not be seeing significant rotation minutes on a good playoff team. A healthy Zach Randolph and a motivated, productive OJ Mayo off the bench is the key to their success in my opinion. I think it'd be a mistake to trade Mayo because he could definitely be their James Harden. I like what I've seen from Selby and Pargo, but I don't remember seeing Haddadi on court once - big men depth is crucial in the playoffs.

Speights has been pretty good in the Grizzlies' games I've seen. He's always shown the ability to be productive when given the minutes...he's got a sweet jumper and is athletic but one thing I hated about him on the Sixers is he'd make dumb plays, couldn't pass it, and despite his athletic gifts, his defense was pretty poor. I wish him all the best on the Grizzlies and it looks like he's playing seizing the opportunity he's got at the moment.

why are you called grinder?

Because I'm always on the grind.

Grinder
01-19-2012, 01:15 PM
Talk about the 2012 NBA draft prospects a bit.

Its only Jan so chances are the same questions can be asked with difference answers. We all know March Madness has turned players into overnight sensations. Guys who you figured would more likely come out a year later end up coming out in this years draft. Tyrus Thomas is one who comes to mind.

But for now, what of the 2012 NBA prospects has impressed you and who hasnt? For me Perry Jones just has me 2nd guessing what to expect of him at the next level. I dont know if he has "it". He looks the part and you want to think all he needs to do is work on x, y, and z and bam you got a stud. I dont know if he has that hunger, determination to be as great as people make him out to be. That passion, leadership quality, killer instinct. I hate to think of him as an athletic kid who is just getting by for now.

Any thoughts on Harrison Barnes, Jeremy Lamb, Brad Beal, Austin Rivers, Marquis Teague and others who could be in the 2012 draft?

Any sleepers or guys who are under the radar. They are known but not popular per say. Like Kevin Jones who ate Perry Jones breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks. He's been consistently productive this year. Any guys like that you think people should keep an eye out on.

Any chance Tony Wroten comes out or too early to say? Like I said some of these questions are a bit premature in that a really good March run could determine a whole lot. But a guy like Austin Rivers has to look over his shoulder at someone like him no? He could be the reason you decide to return to school and try your luck in 2013 lottery.

You know I'm a Sixers fan, so any PF prospects to replace Brand? I'd prefer a guy who is a damn good rebounder moreso than someone who can give you lights out offense.

I'm going to answer this post in 2 parts because I've got a really long response.

I think this year's draft class is one of the better ones we've seen in the last decade, not loaded with superstars like in 03, but loaded with quality starters and possible all stars like 08.

I questioned the same things about Perry Jones when I watched him last year and at times in his first few games this season, but I think he's the real deal. I worry about him becoming another Anthony Randolph, but if I'm a GM, a guy with his skill set and athleticism is too good to pass up. Even if he doesn't have the superstar mentality, he'd be a great complimentary piece next to good low post center or a star swingman. I love what I've seen this year and I would not hesitate to take him top 5.

Guys who have impressed me:
Michael Kidd-Gilchrist - this guy has an insane motor, is deadly in transition, is already an elite defender, a good rebounder and passer, and everything about him just screams "winner", my only concern is his jumper which has pretty flawed mechanics

Anthony Davis - I had a lot of doubts about this guy coming into his freshman season and he's erased all of them and then some

SilkkTheShocker
01-19-2012, 01:22 PM
Not sure if its been asked already, but Harrison Barnes or Michael Gilchrist? Who do u see having the better NBA career?

zac
01-19-2012, 01:28 PM
I feel the Grizzlies team this year could be better than last year's team with a healthy Zach Randolph. Right now, their depth is really suffering and simply put, guys like Josh Davis, Dante Cunningham, and Marreese Speights should not be seeing significant rotation minutes on a good playoff team. A healthy Zach Randolph and a motivated, productive OJ Mayo off the bench is the key to their success in my opinion. I think it'd be a mistake to trade Mayo because he could definitely be their James Harden. I like what I've seen from Selby and Pargo, but I don't remember seeing Haddadi on court once - big men depth is crucial in the playoffs.

Speights has been pretty good in the Grizzlies' games I've seen. He's always shown the ability to be productive when given the minutes...he's got a sweet jumper and is athletic but one thing I hated about him on the Sixers is he'd make dumb plays, couldn't pass it, and despite his athletic gifts, his defense was pretty poor. I wish him all the best on the Grizzlies and it looks like he's playing seizing the opportunity he's got at the moment.

I agree with most of that. Josh Davis will likely be cut soon or just used as a DNP once Haddadi is back. He's been waiting on a work visa to get cleared and he's in Canada right now because it's supposed to go through today so Haddadi should be in uniform this weekend or the beginning of next week. Speights has been great though, his midrange is killer and he's actually started driving in and using his size more and has been stepping up his rebounds a ton, and he's not a great defender but he's big enough to disrupt people and he's been pretty good at taking charges. I like Cunningham but he's mainly a small ball PF and could be Rudy's backup at SF when needed. OJ Mayo is by far the wildcard to this teams success, like scoring 14 in the 4th quarter last night. He's got his shot and confidence back.

The Big Skinny
01-19-2012, 01:34 PM
GRINDER:

Fix the Wizards

Assume they have a top 2 draft pick. Feel free to add FAs, etc.

Go!

Faptastrophe
01-19-2012, 01:35 PM
Grinder, your input on THIS (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=248527), please?

Grinder
01-19-2012, 02:53 PM

Harrison Barnes - Has the potential to be an elite swingman

GOBB
01-19-2012, 03:23 PM
Thanks for the reply Grinder. :cheers:

Grinder
01-19-2012, 07:07 PM
Who will win Euroleague , Top 10 European players ( under fiba rules ) , top 3 European players at every position ? Was Dirk the best player on the world last year , can Dalas win Nba again ? Top 5 fastest players on the world , top 3 3pt shooters in his prime last 10 years , best dunk and best pass you ever saw ? What Nt do you think are best in the world , what do you think are 5 best basketball countries ? Please awnser all my questions .

Great questions.

Who will win Euroleague?
CSKA Moscow

Top 10 European players (Under FIBA rules)
1. Dirk Nowitzki
2. Pau Gasol
3. Marc Gasol
4. Tony Parker
5. Andrei Kirilenko
6. Juan Carlos Navarro
7. Nicolas Batum
8. Milos Teodosic
9. Nenad Krstic
10. Vassilis Spanoulis

Was Dirk the best player in the world last year?
During the playoffs? Yes. Overall season? No.

Can Dallas win it again?
Maybe, but Odom and Carter will have to be on top form and Dirk will have to regain his form from last year's title run to have any chance.

Top 5 fastest players?
1. John Wall
2. Derrick Rose
3. Nate Robinson
4. Ty Lawson
5. Leandro Barbosa

Top 3 point shooter in his prime in the last 10 years?
1. Ray Allen
2. Peja Stojakovic
3. Reggie Miller
Honorable mention to Steve Nash

Best dunk I've ever seen?
Dunk de la mort AKA Vince Carter on Frederic Weis (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMrPjl-927Q)

Best pass I've ever seen?
Jason Williams' Elbow Pass (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-Vq-DO86RE)

Best NT in the World?
Team USA

Five best basketball countries?
1. USA
2. Spain
3. Serbia
4. France
5. Lithuania

Glide2keva
01-19-2012, 07:09 PM
Given Russell Westbrook's new deal, do you think he is overpaid?

I do and I was looking to see if I'm on a island on this one.

Prodigy
01-19-2012, 07:52 PM
Your thoughts on Jonas Valanciunas and his potential upon coming over to the NBA?

Jasper
01-19-2012, 07:56 PM
Kevin Love I noticed in your 2011 OP was one of your fav players.

I think we all were taken back by this college player that at one time was considered a tweener , and might land as a lengthy SF... but worked exceptionally hard pre draft work outs and bulked up to be considered a drafty as a PF.
Once on the floor with minutes (rambis) he produced like few rookies do with boards and a nice outside touch.
Many thought his numbers would go down after averaging some pretty eye popping board numbers as well as showing a offensive game.

------------
This past off season , CBA contract summer , he was on the volley ball court , and many people thought alot of NBA players would show out of shape.
Love instead not only improved his touch , but his quickness and his numbers show he is not declining , and staying where he was last year , but still improving his game , by playing better defense.

What do you like about his 2012 season (game) and do you think he has the potential to get his team to the playoff's ?

FYI - he is one of my fav players as well - simply because he works so hard

Fiba basketball
01-20-2012, 10:54 AM
10 best coaches in basketball history ? What was the best team you ever seen and what team do you think had a bigest chanace of beating them ?

Grinder
01-21-2012, 03:57 PM
Not sure if its been asked already, but Harrison Barnes or Michael Gilchrist? Who do u see having the better NBA career?

I don't think you can go wrong with either, but I'm a bit partial to MKG. I think it depends on what you need on your team. If you already have a scoring point guard or a big time wing scorer, then Gilchrist is your guy. If you need scoring and perimeter shooting at the 3 spot, then you take Barnes.

I think Gilchrist will have a better career because you just don't see guys with his combination of heart, motor, and elite defensive ability often. Both guys are stars in the making.

Grinder
01-22-2012, 02:54 PM
I agree with most of that. Josh Davis will likely be cut soon or just used as a DNP once Haddadi is back. He's been waiting on a work visa to get cleared and he's in Canada right now because it's supposed to go through today so Haddadi should be in uniform this weekend or the beginning of next week. Speights has been great though, his midrange is killer and he's actually started driving in and using his size more and has been stepping up his rebounds a ton, and he's not a great defender but he's big enough to disrupt people and he's been pretty good at taking charges. I like Cunningham but he's mainly a small ball PF and could be Rudy's backup at SF when needed. OJ Mayo is by far the wildcard to this teams success, like scoring 14 in the 4th quarter last night. He's got his shot and confidence back.

Yep, it's hard to argue how well the Grizzlies have been playing lately. Most of that comes down to Juice playing much better and seemingly coming to terms with his role off the bench.

GRINDER:

Fix the Wizards

Assume they have a top 2 draft pick. Feel free to add FAs, etc.

Go!
1. Get rid of Andray Blatche. Doesn't matter if you don't get anything back.
2. Draft Anthony Davis
3. Sign a veteran bench scorer. Leandro Barbosa? If they can get Mayo, that'd be great, but I doubt it's a viable option.
4. Re-sign Nick Young
5. Hold on to Lewis and let his huge contract expire

John Wall - Leandro Barbosa- Shelvin Mack
Nick Young - Jordan Crawford
Jan Vesely - Chris Singleton - Rashard Lewis
Anthony Davis - Trevor Booker
JaVale McGee - Kevin Seraphin

They'd have a great running team, the longest and most athletic front court int he league. The shot blocking and alley oop potential would be unparalleled and make "Lob City" look weak.

My live observations on the Wizards-Celtics game right now can be found here. (http://hoopsgrind.wordpress.com/2012/01/22/sunday-gameday-observations/)

StateOfMind12
01-22-2012, 02:55 PM
Since I made a thread about it...

1. Who is the best scorer in the league? List top 5 if you want or don't mind.
2. How do you determine who the best scorer in the league is?
3. How much does versatility play a part in your decision on who the best scorer in the league is?

I just want to add something before you guys answer. I don't think it is as simple as looking at superior ppg, TS%, eFG%, FG, etc. If that were the case than Michael Jordan in the late 80s was a better scorer than Michael Jordan was in the early 90s and anyone who has followed his career or know anything about MJ really would know that's not the truth. I'm not just talking about the minutes either because if we were to adjust it per minute or per 36 minute, his late 80s scoring stats were better than his early 90s ones.

Grinder
01-23-2012, 11:55 AM
Grinder, your input on THIS (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=248527), please?

Chris Paul / Derrick Rose / Deron Williams
Kobe Bryant / Dwyane Wade
Lebron James / Carmelo Anthony
Kevin Durant / Chris Bosh
Dwight Howard / Lamarcus Aldridge / Kevin Love

Grinder
01-23-2012, 03:15 PM
Your thoughts on Jonas Valanciunas and his potential upon coming over to the NBA?

A big time prospect that could be a game changer for the Raptors. I think he's exactly the kind of guy you need next to Bargnani. He's got great size, excellent hands, runs the floor like a gazelle, and is an excellent free throw shooter. He'll never be a force on the block, but he does have his go to sweeping hook shot over his right shoulder which looks to be pretty effective.

He proved that he can hold his own against big time competition against France and Spain. I don't like the situation he's in now playing with selfish guards that don't feature him in the offense, but his offensive game will take off playing with a great passer like Calderon. I also believe that his game is more suited to the NBA than the congested lanes and slower paced play in Europe.

He doesn't shoot a ton of jumpers, but you can see from his free throw shooting that he'll be able to knock down that mid range J consistently sooner than later. The Raptors made a smart choice in selecting him, even if they have to wait a year. Look how the Rubio pick is paying dividends for the Wolves.

The Big Skinny
01-23-2012, 05:37 PM
Yep, it's hard to argue how well the Grizzlies have been playing lately. Most of that comes down to Juice playing much better and seemingly coming to terms with his role off the bench.

1. Get rid of Andray Blatche. Doesn't matter if you don't get anything back.
2. Draft Anthony Davis
3. Sign a veteran bench scorer. Leandro Barbosa? If they can get Mayo, that'd be great, but I doubt it's a viable option.
4. Re-sign Nick Young
5. Hold on to Lewis and let his huge contract expire

John Wall - Leandro Barbosa- Shelvin Mack
Nick Young - Jordan Crawford
Jan Vesely - Chris Singleton - Rashard Lewis
Anthony Davis - Trevor Booker
JaVale McGee - Kevin Seraphin

They'd have a great running team, the longest and most athletic front court int he league. The shot blocking and alley oop potential would be unparalleled and make "Lob City" look weak.

My live observations on the Wizards-Celtics game right now can be found here. (http://hoopsgrind.wordpress.com/2012/01/22/sunday-gameday-observations/)

Interesting. I looked at it differently.

I would get rid of Andray Blatche. Hopefully get a decent player or draft picks out of that)

Draft Andre Drummond

Re-Sign Nick Young

Amnesty Rashard Lewis

And finally see if I can get a starting caliber SF in FA.

PG: Wall, Mack
SG: Young, Crawford
SF: X, Chris Singleton
PF: X, Jan Vesely
C: JaVale McGee, Andre Drummond

May be wishful thinking, but with the current squad we have, I can see Ted Leonsis making a splash to re-tool the starting line-up.

Another Option would be to Let go of Andray Blatche AND JaVale McGee and go after Roy Hibbert. Draft Harrison Barnes. Possibly trade Blatche and McGee for another PF. Maybe Al Jefferson or Millsap.

We will have a ton of cap room...

SF: Barnes, Singleton
PF: Millsap, Vesely
SF: Hibbert, Turiaf

Thoughts?

Fiba basketball
01-23-2012, 07:42 PM
Interesting. I looked at it differently.

I would get rid of Andray Blatche. Hopefully get a decent player or draft picks out of that)

Draft Andre Drummond

Re-Sign Nick Young

Amnesty Rashard Lewis

And finally see if I can get a starting caliber SF in FA.

SF: X, Chris Singleton
PF: X, Jan Vesely
C: JaVale McGee, Andre Drummond

May be wishful thinking, but with the current squad we have, I can see Ted Leonsis making a splash to re-tool the starting line-up.

Another Option would be to Let go of Andray Blatche AND JaVale McGee and go after Roy Hibbert. Draft Harrison Barnes. Possibly trade Blatche and McGee for another PF. Maybe Al Jefferson or Millsap.

We will have a ton of cap room...

SF: Barnes, Singleton
PF: Millsap, Vesely
SF: Hibbert, Turiaf

Thoughts?
Vesely is a SF , he can be a PF but he is much better playing as a SF . I like your team but I dont think they would be good enough to make the playoffs .

The Big Skinny
01-23-2012, 11:04 PM
Vesely is a SF , he can be a PF but he is much better playing as a SF . I like your team but I dont think they would be good enough to make the playoffs .

Honestly from what I've seen, which is every wizards game, he does not look like he can play SF. He has a weak jumper, no 3 pt shot and isn't much of a ball handler. He is a heck of an offensive rebounder and can finish in the lane.

Fiba basketball
01-24-2012, 02:52 AM
Honestly from what I've seen, which is every wizards game, he does not look like he can play SF. He has a weak jumper, no 3 pt shot and isn't much of a ball handler. He is a heck of an offensive rebounder and can finish in the lane.
Yes , but he isnt strong enough . He can guard a SF and has a hight advantage if a team has a good rebounder at PF and Vesely at SF it would be great rebounding team .

Grinder
01-24-2012, 01:42 PM
Given Russell Westbrook's new deal, do you think he is overpaid?

I do and I was looking to see if I'm on a island on this one.

I don't think he was overpaid. Franchise point guards aren't easy to come by and when you've got a young core of all stars, I feel that you must keep them together at all costs. For all the criticism he takes for being selfish, he's still a damn good player and the going rate for guys that can give you his production at that age is valued right around what his contract is.

Grinder
01-24-2012, 02:35 PM
Kevin Love I noticed in your 2011 OP was one of your fav players.

I think we all were taken back by this college player that at one time was considered a tweener , and might land as a lengthy SF... but worked exceptionally hard pre draft work outs and bulked up to be considered a drafty as a PF.
Once on the floor with minutes (rambis) he produced like few rookies do with boards and a nice outside touch.
Many thought his numbers would go down after averaging some pretty eye popping board numbers as well as showing a offensive game.

------------
This past off season , CBA contract summer , he was on the volley ball court , and many people thought alot of NBA players would show out of shape.
Love instead not only improved his touch , but his quickness and his numbers show he is not declining , and staying where he was last year , but still improving his game , by playing better defense.

What do you like about his 2012 season (game) and do you think he has the potential to get his team to the playoff's ?

FYI - he is one of my fav players as well - simply because he works so hard

He was a bit of a tweener in college, but more of a PF/C rather than a PF/SF.

What do I like about his game this season?
I like that he's been working on hitting jumpers off the dribble, step back Js, etc

Jasi
01-24-2012, 02:37 PM
What do you think about the Melo trade in hindsight?

Clutch
01-24-2012, 02:58 PM
You've just opened Pandora's box.

Jasi
01-24-2012, 03:03 PM
You've just opened Pandora's box.

I know ;)

PTB Fan
01-24-2012, 04:55 PM
Will the Hawks make it far in the post season this season?

Grinder
01-26-2012, 01:07 PM
10 best coaches in basketball history ? What was the best team you ever seen and what team do you think had a bigest chanace of beating them ?

I'm sure I'm forgetting someone, but off the top of my head. This is no particular order since it's hard to compare coaches of different eras:
1. Phil Jackson
2. Red Auerbach
3. Gregg Popovich
4. Pat Riley
5. Larry Brown
6. Chuck Daly
7. John Wooden
8. Adolph Rupp
9. Mike Krzyzewski
10. Dean Smith

Best team I've ever seen?
The Bulls of the mid 90s, probably the 96 Bulls. They were even better than their 72-10 record and the defense they played was absolutely stifling.

What team do I think had the best chance of beating them?
Maybe the Utah Jazz. Stockton and Malone, despite never beating the Bulls in a series, were always a tough matchup for the Bulls.

chairman
01-26-2012, 01:09 PM
How important is deng to the bulls

Grinder
02-14-2012, 12:16 AM
Since I made a thread about it...

1. Who is the best scorer in the league? List top 5 if you want or don't mind.
2. How do you determine who the best scorer in the league is?
3. How much does versatility play a part in your decision on who the best scorer in the league is?

I just want to add something before you guys answer. I don't think it is as simple as looking at superior ppg, TS%, eFG%, FG, etc. If that were the case than Michael Jordan in the late 80s was a better scorer than Michael Jordan was in the early 90s and anyone who has followed his career or know anything about MJ really would know that's not the truth. I'm not just talking about the minutes either because if we were to adjust it per minute or per 36 minute, his late 80s scoring stats were better than his early 90s ones.

Sorry for the late reply.

Best scorers in the league?
1. Kevin Durant
2. Kobe Bryant
3. Carmelo Anthony
4. Lebron James
5. Dirk Nowitzki

How do I define it?
1. Points scored
2. Efficiency
3. Does the scoring translate to wins?
4. Offensive arsenal and versatility

How much does versatility play a part?
It's important if the defense takes one part of your game away, but I'll take the guy that can score 30 a game on a purely jump shots over a guy with a complete offensive game that scores 20 a game on similar efficiency anytime.

305Baller
03-12-2012, 08:18 PM
How many 3 pointers have you hit in a row?

GOBB
04-14-2012, 05:41 PM
Klay Thompson. How good do you think he is and can be in the future? While I still like big Vucevic I'll throw this at you. Jrue Holiday-Klay Thompson-Evan Turner. Could that trio compliment each other well? I'm under the impression Klay is a really solid shooter (upgrade to what Meeks is). So he doesnt need the ball in his hands. He can move without it, spot up. Correct me if I'm wrong, the couple times I seen him play he looked like a shooter. Not sour on Big Vucevic by any means, just throwing Klay into a fun scenerio had he been a Sixer (traded Iggy for maybe a big).

Demarcus Cousins...I dont like his attitude/body language in games. Just looks like a talented dbag. So I cant give an honest take on his game. Had the Sixers taken him over Turner would it have worked? No disrespect to Turner but you can find guys similar to him easier than a double double threat. Also can Cousins anchor a defense? Or do you need a complimentary PF that is excellant at help defense?

Last, who do you want the Sixers to take in the draft?

Also if the Sixers could pick any player in the draft (lets assume Drummond, MGK and others officially declare) outside of Anthony Davis. Who would you take.

Mr. Jabbar
04-14-2012, 05:52 PM
How many rings will lebron have when its all said and done?. No need for long explanations on how things will unfold, just your hunch.

Punpun
04-14-2012, 06:20 PM
Who do you think has better potential, Nerlens Noel or Davis Unibrow ?

Grinder
04-15-2012, 11:51 AM

Pretty good trade for the Knicks overall. NY needs a bonafide superstart and they got one in Melo. The Nuggets did really well to get a solid group of players for Melo and keep themselves competitive while getting younger. All in all, a pretty good trade for both sides.

Will the Hawks make it far in the post season this season?

First round loss.

How important is deng to the bulls

Extremely. He's their 2nd or 3rd best player and a good 2 way player who can get his points in the flow of the offense - vital when you have a score first point guard.

Fiba basketball
04-15-2012, 01:29 PM
Krstic is injured and wont play in F4 so do you still think CSKA will win Euroleague ? Name 5 most talented players at each position ( you can only name players born in 1992 and junger )

Grinder
04-16-2012, 12:22 AM
How many 3 pointers have you hit in a row?

I'm not a great shooter...just shooting around 7-8, in a game maybe 3 or 4.

Klay Thompson. How good do you think he is and can be in the future? While I still like big Vucevic I'll throw this at you. Jrue Holiday-Klay Thompson-Evan Turner. Could that trio compliment each other well? I'm under the impression Klay is a really solid shooter (upgrade to what Meeks is). So he doesnt need the ball in his hands. He can move without it, spot up. Correct me if I'm wrong, the couple times I seen him play he looked like a shooter. Not sour on Big Vucevic by any means, just throwing Klay into a fun scenerio had he been a Sixer (traded Iggy for maybe a big).

Demarcus Cousins...I dont like his attitude/body language in games. Just looks like a talented dbag. So I cant give an honest take on his game. Had the Sixers taken him over Turner would it have worked? No disrespect to Turner but you can find guys similar to him easier than a double double threat. Also can Cousins anchor a defense? Or do you need a complimentary PF that is excellant at help defense?

Last, who do you want the Sixers to take in the draft?

Also if the Sixers could pick any player in the draft (lets assume Drummond, MGK and others officially declare) outside of Anthony Davis. Who would you take.

Klay Thompson - has a great stroke and quick release as well as great size for either wing spot. I think he could be a better version of Kevin Martin with more versatility but not as adept at getting to the foul line. I think Jrue, Klay, and ET could work IF Turner can consistently play at the level he's shown. Thompson would be a an awesome option to space the floor and keep defenses honest. Not only is he a great 3 point shooter, he can also take smaller guys in the post and hit turnaround Js, dribble pullups, and take it to the rim at times.

I've been big on Cousins since I first saw him play in the high school all star circuit and think despite his attitude, he can still be a top notch player. I love ET, but I was hoping we'd roll the dice on Cousins. There isn't anything he can't do on the offensive end and he's pretty solid on the defensive end as well. I think he can be a legit franchise player. Anchoring a defense? Absolutely not. He can take charges and occasionally block some shots but he doesn't have the KG/Tyson Chandler mentality needed to anchor a defense but that's ok because you can pair him with a defensive PF who are much easier to find.

Hmm....our draft range is probably going to be 16-18 so if Arnett Moultrie is available I'd love to draft him. If there's no other quality bigs I'd definitely give Ross, Wroten, and Lamb a hard look.

Anyone in the draft outside of Davis? MKG for me. He might have a limited ceiling but he's a proven winner, has a never ending motor, is a monster in transition and in 5 years we'll be calling Andre Iguodala and Gerald Wallace a poor man's Gilchrist.

RoseCity07
04-16-2012, 04:06 AM
Was game one of the 2001 NBA finals Allen Iverson's best game ever?

Grinder
09-13-2012, 11:52 AM
How many rings will lebron have when its all said and done?. No need for long explanations on how things will unfold, just your hunch.

I think he'll have 3 rings by the end of his career.

Was game one of the 2001 NBA finals Allen Iverson's best game ever?

I thought it was his most memorable game ever, but as far as best game, I'd go with game 7 against the Bucks to take the Sixers to the finals.

Name 5 most talented players at each position ( you can only name players born in 1992 and junger )

I'm just going to list the top 10 overall:
Anthony Davis
Kyrie Irving
Andrew Wiggins
Michael Kidd-Gilchrist
Shabazz Mohammed
Jabari Parker
Julius Randle
Enes Kanter
Cody Zeller
Dario Saric

Who do you think has better potential, Nerlens Noel or Davis Unibrow ?

Davis by far. I haven't been all that impressed with what I've seen with Noel so far, Davis was further along at his age.

Mr Exlax
09-13-2012, 01:20 PM
Do you think it was bad coaching by the Pacers or was Miami just that good to have beat them last year? I wanna say it's bad coaching by the Pacers.

Clutch
09-13-2012, 01:52 PM
What record will the Knicks have this season and which seed they will be ?
Also do you like their new jerseys ?