PDA

View Full Version : ISH cooks: Help me out.

boozehound
01-30-2011, 03:58 PM
So, I have been asked to participate in a bbq contest in a couple of weeks. Raw meat checked in at 8:00 am and dishes ready to serve by 3:00 pm, so no slow cooking methods really.

I have to do ribs, chicken, and a protein of my choice.

Ribs I have a great recipe for, but am always willing to modify it. Also, I dont have a great sauce recipe.

Chicken Im gonna do a variation on the beerbutt with a really rich, sweet, high abv scotch ale and possibly some brown sugar and cinnamon.

The issue is the protein of my choice. I was going to do poke and oka (two raw fish polynesian dishes), but Ive been told that is not a good choice for the judges. So, what do I do?

I was thinking a grilled pizza with goat cheese, arugula pesto and hothouse plum tomatoes, but I kinda think that wont win me any votes either.

I dont think I have enough time to do a pulled pork shoulder, so help me out with some further suggestions!

Kblaze8855
01-30-2011, 04:24 PM
Pork tenderloin.

BankShot
01-30-2011, 04:37 PM
I agree that you don't have time to do a pork shoulder, unless you do a smaller or boneless piece. Either way it would be a gamble to be able to get it to the right temperature, then too cool enough to pull, in seven hours.

Pork tenderloin isn't a bad idea, but it does have the tendency to dry if it sits too long after being sliced because its so lean.... which could be a problem when waiting to be judged.

When you say "BBQ" are we talking slow-and-low cooking with smoke, or is this more of a grilling competition??

boozehound
01-30-2011, 05:02 PM
I agree that you don't have time to do a pork shoulder, unless you do a smaller or boneless piece. Either way it would be a gamble to be able to get it to the right temperature, then too cool enough to pull, in seven hours.

Pork tenderloin isn't a bad idea, but it does have the tendency to dry if it sits too long after being sliced because its so lean.... which could be a problem when waiting to be judged.

When you say "BBQ" are we talking slow-and-low cooking with smoke, or is this more of a grilling competition??
More of a grilling competition. Yeah, BBQ is overstating it, as we cannot pre-marinate or whatever. You could smoke if you wanted to, but you are looking at 7 hours max time.

rufuspaul
01-30-2011, 05:18 PM
Is there a stipulation on untensils? You could take a flank steak and use a Jaccard to tenderize and then marinate for a few hours before grilling.

BankShot
01-30-2011, 06:26 PM
Since you already have chicken, and I'm assuming your ribs are going to be pork (are you going Baby Back or Spare??)... I think your wildcard entry should be Beef.

Flank Steak is a good idea... it takes well to marinades and grills really well.

Maybe a marinated grilled flank steak taco?? You could grill the tortillas, and make either a sauce by grilling (and then blending) onions, chilies, tomatillos, and garlic... or a salsa with grilled tomatoes, chilies, and onions.

Thorpesaurous
01-30-2011, 09:47 PM
Yeah, Beef is definitely the natural choice for your third protein. Another pork after the ribs is just overkill.

I did a competition like this over the summer with a bunch of friends, but it was grilling and only steak. We were all going to do flank, but decided it's a bit tough, and just went with Sirloin instead, so I'd suggest a Sirloin. We did a jerk rub on ours, and it came out really good. I originally came up with a lemon juice marinade with herbs, then did a big herb and pepper rub to try to do a crust. Or, a simple marinade of Sirloin with a good bottle of Red Wine, Garlic, and Shallots is like a standard for me, and I suggest to anyone for anytime. But again, it depends how BBQ themed you're going. You could also smoke a Brisket in that much time with the right equipment too.

My other suggestion would be fish. I frequently do an asian BBQ shrip kabob that usually goes over pretty well. Hoisen, Cherry Juice, Orange Juice, Lemon Juice, a little brown Sugar. You can soak them for like a half hour, but much more than that and they'll start to break down. lightly grill up some pineapple and Zuccini and kabob it up.

If you're looking for more of a southern theme, then you can also do a catfish. Cajun rub, or a lemon pepper rub actually, both work really well. If you're allowed, you can get oil going on a grill sideburner and swing a fried catfish nugget kind of a thing, then do a cajun sauce for dipping. I actually did a Swordfish kabob with herbs do provence, and bacon, for our seafood app in our contest.

You can smoke ribs in 7 hours with the right equipment, but I don't know what you'll have available to you. I did an excellent rib this year for football. Soaked em in BBQ rub, apple juice,cider vinegar, and an apple butter BBQ sauce. Then smoked them in my electric smoker with Applewood chips and cider as my liquid (a tip I learned the hard way, if you're gonna be using a sweet liquid, line your smoker pot with foil or something).

Thorpesaurous
01-30-2011, 09:55 PM
Here's my electric smoker.

http://i345.photobucket.com/albums/p375/Thorpesaurous/Food/TheSmoker.jpg

My seven racks soaking the night before

http://i345.photobucket.com/albums/p375/Thorpesaurous/Food/RibssoakinginBBQRubAppleJuiceAppleCiderVinegarandL ymansAppleButterBBQSauce.jpg

Ribs in the smoker.

http://i345.photobucket.com/albums/p375/Thorpesaurous/Food/RibsinSmokerwithApplewoodandAppleJuiceSmokecombo.j pg

And the finished meal. That's a cornbread. These teeny potats I've only seen at Trader Joes that I boil in just enough chicken stock to cover them in a pan, until it boils off, then sea salt them and a touch of garlic powder. And that corn is roasted on the grill, then shallots, chopped peppers, roasted garlic, and a bunch of rosemary gets thrown in. Five pats of butter an into the over to melt it all and bring it all together. That was my favorite football meal this year.

http://i345.photobucket.com/albums/p375/Thorpesaurous/Food/RibsReadytoEatFireRoastedCornstrippedfromcobwithRo semaryShallotandPeppersTeenyPotatsfromTraderJoesbo iledinChickenStockandCornbread.jpg

Thorpesaurous
01-30-2011, 09:59 PM
This is another rib I did when I first got the smoker. It's a rub of brown sugar, paprika, and black pepper. But I got the ratio's wrong and it came out too peppery. I swear it's a good idea though once I figure it out.

http://i345.photobucket.com/albums/p375/Thorpesaurous/Food/RibsRubbedwithBlackPepperBrownSugarandPaprika.jpg

I have a pretty quick marinade that's centered around coca-cola too that would fit a BBQ theme, but I can't find it. If you google Coca-Cola marinades I'm sure you'll find plenty of good stuff. It breaks down meat pretty quick, helps tenderize, and will probably earn you a few uniqueness points.

craigthomasb
01-30-2011, 10:01 PM
lamb kebabs, marinade them in oil, garlic, rosemary, mint, basil, then bbq them with some peppers, onions, cherry tomatos, serve with goats cheese salad, tatziki, greek style

rufuspaul
01-30-2011, 10:19 PM
My seven racks soaking the night before

http://i345.photobucket.com/albums/p375/Thorpesaurous/Food/RibssoakinginBBQRubAppleJuiceAppleCiderVinegarandL ymansAppleButterBBQSauce.jpg

Great pics Thorpe, but unfortunately I think Booze would have to forgo this crucial step according to the rules as I understand them.

Booze, have you considered a cedar planked salmon or mahi mahi? A few hours of soaking the planks, a nice bed of coals and you're ready to go. I've found a crust made with panko, olive oil and citrus zest adds a nice contrast to the smokey flesh of the fish.

boozehound
01-31-2011, 12:41 PM
Great pics Thorpe, but unfortunately I think Booze would have to forgo this crucial step according to the rules as I understand them.

Booze, have you considered a cedar planked salmon or mahi mahi? A few hours of soaking the planks, a nice bed of coals and you're ready to go. I've found a crust made with panko, olive oil and citrus zest adds a nice contrast to the smokey flesh of the fish.
Yeah, while I appreciate the pics, I will not be able to do anything like that, given the constraints of the contest. Steak seems like a cop-out, but I may go that route. I like the cedar planked salmon idea, but this is a contest judged by black texans who love their barbecue and I think fish might be too far outside the realm of acceptable bbq. I was thinking of doing a pork loin with a gingerbeer marinade, but I remain worried about the time and the drying out of the loin while waiting for service.

Just saw craig's lamb kebabs suggestion. I do love lamb.

Also, any great sauce recipes for my ribs? I know Bankshot has posted one in the past. Rufus, any modifications to that rip recipe since you tried it last year?

Thanks for your help guys and **** the negger.

Thorpesaurous
01-31-2011, 01:14 PM
COKE SAUCE

2 cups ketchup
1 can cola
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon vinegar
1 package dry onion soup mix
1 teaspoon garlic powder

Directions:
Mix all ingredients and simmer 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.

This is the Coke Recipe I use, but I also suggest using Dr. Pepper, and/or cherry coke, or cherry Dr. Pepper, and I haven't tried it, but I've heard Gingerale gives a different tang too. I wouldn't use diet soda.

APPLE BBQ SAUCE

1 cup ketchup
2/3 cup seasoned rice vinegar
1/2 cup apple juice or 1/2 cup apple cider
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/8 cup soy sauce
1/8 cup Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons prepared yellow mustard
3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne (more or less to taste)
1/3 cup imitation bacon bits, ground in a spice grinder
1/3 cup peeled and grated apple
1/4 cup grated onion
1/4 cup chopped scallion
2 teaspoons grated green bell peppers

1 Mix together the ketchup, rice vinegar, apple juice or cider, cider vinegar, brown sugar, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, garlic powder, white pepper, cayenne, and bacon bits in a large saucepan.
2 Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Stir in apple, onion, and bell pepper. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, 10 to 15 minutes or until it thickens slightly. Stir it often.
3 Allow to cool, then pour into sterilized glass jars. Refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.

I use this on my Ribs sometimes. I like the Pork and Apple tie in. It's a little on the thin side and works well on pulled pork which I like to do in a crock pot, and it'll baste in there cause it's thin enough to evaporate then condense and fall. But on the ribs I use it like a moppin sauce while I smoke, and the smoke tends to thicken it up. It's really good though. And it doesn't mask the meat or any rubs you might use.

Based on your audience, if you wanted to do fish, I would really consider a catfish. I love catfish. It soaks up flavor really well.
Or, you can do softshell crabs. Easy to cook, and a light hot sauce and butter and lemon and garlic salt goes a long way.

rufuspaul
01-31-2011, 02:49 PM
Also, any great sauce recipes for my ribs? I know Bankshot has posted one in the past. Rufus, any modifications to that rip recipe since you tried it last year?

No, I do it pretty much exactly like you do and get rave reviews each time. I'm in your debt.

Here's my standard bbq sauce. Sometimes I add a little more heat and some mesquite seasoning if I'm so inclined.

1 onion chopped
6 cloves garlic, chopped
2 cups ketchup
1 cup orange juice
juice of 1 lemon
2 tbsp vinegar, any kind
2 tbsp tomato paste
2 tbsp honey
2 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp worcestershire sauce
2 tbsp dijon mustard
chili powder and hot sauce to taste
Combine all the ingredients in a pot and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for about 10 minutes. Let cool.

boozehound
01-31-2011, 02:55 PM
hey thanks for the sauce recipes guys! I am gonna do a trial run over the week and see what works. I like the pork and apple idea, but I need a thick cloyey sauce to suck up into the flesh of the ribs.

Jasi
01-31-2011, 03:05 PM
I'm not on par with you guys on this but I dare to suggest veal rumps stuffed with pumpkin and nuts. Delicious.

rufuspaul
01-31-2011, 03:26 PM
1/3 cup imitation bacon bits, ground in a spice grinder

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3057/2367515373_515ff7a325.jpg

But why not use real bacon bits?

rufuspaul
01-31-2011, 03:29 PM
I'm not on par with you guys on this but I dare to suggest veal rumps stuffed with pumpkin and nuts. Delicious.

Veal would be an option that probably no one else would be using. You could bring in a live calf and slaughter it in front of the judges and then grill something unusual like the entire head.

That would be totally badass.

Thorpesaurous
01-31-2011, 03:31 PM
hey thanks for the sauce recipes guys! I am gonna do a trial run over the week and see what works. I like the pork and apple idea, but I need a thick cloyey sauce to suck up into the flesh of the ribs.

If you did Rufus' sauce and replaced the orange juice with apple juice or cider, you'd probably get the effect you're looking for. The extra ketchup, and adding the honey, will more than likely thicken up my moppier sauce, but give you a little apple punch. And I'd consider throwing cloves in there too. They go good with pork.

Thorpesaurous
01-31-2011, 03:34 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3057/2367515373_515ff7a325.jpg

But why not use real bacon bits?

I thought the same thing and tried it the first time I did it with real bacon, but it has too much fat in it and doesn't really grind into a powder the way it needs to to meld into the sauce. It's supposed to add a smokey sort of thing, which you can also probably replicate with a shot of liquid smoke.

RidonKs
01-04-2015, 02:49 PM
i decided to change up my pulled pork recipe this afternoon, so i start wading through the thousands of recipes online... then i thought, perhaps an ish cook could help me out!

this thread is a gem, bump for appreciation, thx fellas :banana:

i think im gonna try thorpe... but rufus' citrusy sauce looks pretty good too

edit: the grated green pepper is weird tho... never heard of doing anything like that

nathanjizzle
01-04-2015, 03:13 PM
smoked bbq cream chowder. grill cobs of corn, potatoes, seafood, plank of cedar. then put it all in the soup even the cedar and smoke that bitch. serve with grilled naan bread.

Akrazotile
01-04-2015, 04:10 PM
lamb kebabs, marinade them in oil, garlic, rosemary, mint, basil, then bbq them with some peppers, onions, cherry tomatos, serve with goats cheese salad, tatziki, greek style

This sounds good to me.

Whatever happened to this dude??

rufuspaul
01-05-2015, 10:10 AM
My brother-in-law smoked a turkey over Christmas and then simmered the carcass for hours to make a stock. This past weekend he used the stock to make a risotto that was one of the best I've ever eaten. Just some awesome smokey goodness.