PDA

View Full Version : Lakers' struggles have Kupchak ready to make moves

nevetslc88
01-31-2011, 09:10 PM
EL SEGUNDO, Calif. -- The Lakers officially entered crisis mode Monday, when general manager Mitch Kupchak told NBA.com that the recent poor play by the two-time defending champions may drive him to make a trade to shake up an underachieving roster.

"Regarding a trade, I may have to," Kupchak said at the team's practice facility a day after the convincing loss to their heated rivals, the Celtics. "I'm not saying that I've made calls today or I'll make them tomorrow. But I just don't think that we're playing as well as our talent level should allow us."

http://www.nba.com/2011/news/features/scott_howard_cooper/01/31/lakers.kupchak/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpt1

G-Funk
01-31-2011, 09:25 PM
I'm glad he said that. Hopefully he starts false rumors to trade Pau's soft ass! He has been the most disappointing and hopefully he realizes something! Artest and Fisher as well.

Lebron23
01-31-2011, 09:27 PM
Bye bye Ron Artest. Don't let the door hit you in the @$$.

ballup
01-31-2011, 09:30 PM
I love the smell of mayhem in Laker land UNTIL THEY GET SOMEONE LIKE PAU GASOL FOR SOMEONE LIKE KWAME BROWN!!!!!!!:mad:

Bandito
01-31-2011, 09:31 PM
I think they should send Fisher ass for someone that can still play to today's standards. He's freaking slow and not that good of a shooter. He has one of the streakiest shots ever.

Lakers13
01-31-2011, 09:32 PM
If it improves this team why not? Not sure what they would be looking to do, a younger PG?

Lebron23
01-31-2011, 09:33 PM
I think they should send Fisher ass for someone that can still play to today's standards. He's freaking slow and not that good of a shooter. He has one of the streakiest shots ever.

Steve Nash

:pimp: :pimp: :pimp:

Real Men Wear Green
01-31-2011, 09:35 PM
I'm glad he said that. Hopefully he starts false rumors to trade Pau's soft ass! He has been the most disappointing and hopefully he realizes something! Artest and Fisher as well.
Artest maybe should be on the market but they better be careful if they consider dealing Gasol. That's their second best player and best big, and if they trade him they will basically be wanting to get a 20/10 pf in return, which he already is. Plus if you put him on the market and are unsuccessful you risk alienating him, and then you get to see how sensitive he really is (or hopefully isn't). You're not going to get Blake Griffin in return, more likely looking at a guy like Al Jefferson, who although younger is probably a downgrade. Do you really want to go there when you've just won 2 rings with Gasol? Sounds like a bad idea, really doubt Gasol is put on the market. But other than him and Bryant, no reason not to make anyone and everyone available.

Vancouver-Grizz
01-31-2011, 09:39 PM
Wow....Jumping the gun abit?

Look at the Celtics last year...they were turrrrrrible.....and ended in the NBA finals.

I am sure the Lakers will turn it up a few notches once April hits.

Its a veteran team....What do you expect?

SpecialQue
01-31-2011, 09:44 PM
I don't want him gone, but Artest seemed extremely nonchalant about losing yesterday. I wouldn't be surprised if they dropped him. I've defended Pau's softness for awhile now, but he seriously needs to man the fvck up if this team's going to dominate again.

Mr. Jabbar
01-31-2011, 09:47 PM
Glad Kupchak isn't buying the "Lakers playoff switch" at this point... Not sure if theyre actually planning ona trade but hes certainly trying to shake some waters.

Funnyfuka
01-31-2011, 09:50 PM
artest is the weakest link.

ashbelly
01-31-2011, 09:51 PM
artest is the weakest link.

I wish they would trade him.. :oldlol: 1st round exit.

chazzy
01-31-2011, 09:54 PM
Supposedly Artest was kneed in the thigh early by Shaq so I'm not sure how much that factored into this play yesterday. Regardless he was instrumental in winning the title last year with his defense on Durant and Pierce, I wouldn't give up on him unless they can get something really nice in return.. which I doubt given his age and contract.

Lebron23
01-31-2011, 09:56 PM
Glad Kupchak isn't buying the "Lakers playoff switch" at this point... Not sure if theyre actually planning ona trade but hes certainly trying to shake some waters.

Kupchack is a smart guy. Artest is the Lakers weakest link this season. Bron abused him last Christmas.

LakerDefense8
01-31-2011, 09:57 PM
Artest is the only one in the hot seat. Kobe, Gasol, and Bynum are all safe IMO.

Laker19
01-31-2011, 10:01 PM
Ron is in the hot seat
wouldn't mind trading Shanon either

wouldn't mind players like Gerald Wallace or Batum

macpierce
01-31-2011, 10:03 PM
this will be interesting
hopefully the trades will improve the team and not make it worse
HOPEFULLY :hammerhead:

toxicxr6
01-31-2011, 10:06 PM
Problem... Who would want artest and his contract? He makes about 6.5 million this year and then about 7.5 million for the next 3 seasons after... I mean who will want that contract? Seriously... Not many... It's a long term commitment to a player that has already faded significantly... Sorry LA you are stuck with him

gilalizard
01-31-2011, 10:08 PM
I see this as much of an effort my management to light a fire under the players' asses as anything. By being extremely general in the comments, "shake up the roster", it could apply to anyone.

Basically, trying to put the notion in the players' heads that they can't coast on past accomplishments.

flipogb
01-31-2011, 10:13 PM
Luke + Brown + trade exception(Vujacic trade)

what will your team give for this ?

BoxOutBOXOUT
01-31-2011, 10:24 PM
Kobe, Gasol, & Bynum aren't going anywhere. Kupchak isn't insane. I doubt Fisher goes anywhere either. His poise and experience in the playoffs means too much to the team. My prediction:

Artest, Brown, & Draft Picks

FOR

Melo

33teeth
01-31-2011, 10:25 PM

What team (in the NBA) would really trade anything of value for the corpse formerly known as Derek Fisher? I mean, good guy... has some useful attributes... but... he's way way way past his prime. I can't imagine trading much of anything for him.

Lebron23
01-31-2011, 10:29 PM
Kobe, Gasol, & Bynum aren't going anywhere. Kupchak isn't insane. I doubt Fisher goes anywhere either. His poise and experience in the playoffs means too much to the team. My prediction:

Artest, Brown, & Draft Picks

FOR

Melo

http://www.digi-guard.com/images/robbery.gif

icemanfan
01-31-2011, 10:31 PM
he is trying to get their minds right. I do not think he wants to mess up team chemistry.

DuMa
01-31-2011, 10:36 PM
Ron is in the hot seat
wouldn't mind trading Shanon either

wouldn't mind players like Gerald Wallace or Batum

wouldnt be surprised to see stern gift the lakers with that idiotic trade like they did with gasol for kwame.

Kujo
01-31-2011, 10:36 PM
Would suck for Ron to get traded after only a year and half in La la land, but I could see it happening. He's really had a poor season. Matt Barnes has been way more effective.

xhuegox
01-31-2011, 10:58 PM
Kupchack is a smart guy. Artest is the Lakers weakest link this season. Bron abused him last Christmas.

well good thing the lakers don't have to worry about the heat because they wont make it to the finals.

teams lakers have to worry about:

thunder
spurs
celtics

ashbelly
01-31-2011, 11:04 PM
Luke + Brown + trade exception(Vujacic trade)

what will your team give for this ?

A bag of Potatoes. :confusedshrug:

G-Funk
01-31-2011, 11:05 PM
well good thing the lakers don't have to worry about the heat because they wont make it to the finals.

teams lakers have to worry about:

thunder
spurs
celtics

I agree

NBASTATMAN
01-31-2011, 11:06 PM
I love the smell of mayhem in Laker land UNTIL THEY GET SOMEONE LIKE PAU GASOL FOR SOMEONE LIKE KWAME BROWN!!!!!!!:mad:

Who are they going to trade? Fish would be a stupid move.. I would guarantee no title for the Lakers if Fish was traded.. Unless the Lakers nab Billups.. Something I wouldn't put pass them...

They should trade PAU(:applause: ) for Randolph... Artest would be the only logical answer...

G-Funk
01-31-2011, 11:06 PM
Ariza
Battier
Prince

We need a 3 point shooter who can defend well.

BoxOutBOXOUT
01-31-2011, 11:15 PM
I saw on a commercial that Karl Malone is contemplating coming back to break Kareem's record. He could be what the Lakers need to add some low post toughness. I think that's what Mitch is probably talking about.

xhuegox
01-31-2011, 11:16 PM
I saw on a commercial that Karl Malone is contemplating coming back to break Kareem's record. He could be what the Lakers need to add some low post toughness. I think that's what Mitch is probably talking about.

malone?

i dont want a black hick on the lakers :no:

DuMa
01-31-2011, 11:17 PM

wow a commercial. your sources are elite son

SpecialQue
01-31-2011, 11:21 PM
wow a commercial. your sources are elite son

Those Shape-Ups are supposed to have really helped his game. Why would the commercial lie?

tpols
01-31-2011, 11:22 PM
This is purely a motivational statement.

They're not trading anyone, mitch is just trying to instill some much needed urgency in the team.

That means you ronny, no more 1-10 shooting games where you can't hold your opponent to under 30 points..

LA_Showtime
01-31-2011, 11:24 PM
Artest maybe should be on the market but they better be careful if they consider dealing Gasol. That's their second best player and best big, and if they trade him they will basically be wanting to get a 20/10 pf in return, which he already is. Plus if you put him on the market and are unsuccessful you risk alienating him, and then you get to see how sensitive he really is (or hopefully isn't). You're not going to get Blake Griffin in return, more likely looking at a guy like Al Jefferson, who although younger is probably a downgrade. Do you really want to go there when you've just won 2 rings with Gasol? Sounds like a bad idea, really doubt Gasol is put on the market. But other than him and Bryant, no reason not to make anyone and everyone available.

They aren't trading Gasol. :oldlol: Mitch isn't stupid.

LA_Showtime
01-31-2011, 11:26 PM
I doubt Mitch is actually looking to deal with anybody. This is probably just an attempt to get certain players to play well. But if he was to trade for somebody, I would hope he targets somebody who can actually create off the dribble.

Ikill
01-31-2011, 11:27 PM
By looking at Fisher you would think he is a good athlete

PHILA
01-31-2011, 11:33 PM
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=4uasf5c

:hammertime:

LakerDefense8
01-31-2011, 11:36 PM
Ariza
Battier
Prince

We need a 3 point shooter who can defend well.
It is hard because who the hell would want Ron Artest? :confusedshrug:

LA_Showtime
01-31-2011, 11:52 PM
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=4uasf5c

:hammertime:

Hell no.

GiveItToBurrito
02-01-2011, 12:02 AM

I don't even hold that against him, Lebron is just unguardable some nights and can make anyone look bad. I'd be more worried about what Pierce and Allen did last night. Not only were those two ridiculously efficient while scoring a lot of points, they were doing it off of open shots and/or semi-open ones from the corners. Artest doesn't rebound, so it says a lot about his focus and intensity when his man is getting open or a favorable matchup again and again. Especially in the playoffs, Boston's defense can be so good that even one guy having a night like either of them had can kill you in a playoff game.

If I'm LA, I try to trade for a good defensive point guard, since Artest and Barnes are still decent enough as a small forward rotation. Only problem is that they don't have anyone that any team would want. No expirers, no draft picks that will be higher than 25th, and no young talent. Brown is the only guy I could conceivably see them trading for a role player, since he's still relatively young and could be a nice spark off the bench for a team that's starved for offense, even though I'm not sure he'll be able to succeed in a normal offense. Minnesota is a team that could use him, maybe for Ridnour (he's obviously not a defender, but he's a talent upgrade from Blake and Fisher).

KeyNote
02-01-2011, 12:05 AM
thanks for the game 7 heroics ron ron

but now we need finishers and shooters...

ariza i see you!

G-Funk
02-01-2011, 12:06 AM
It is hard because who the hell would want Ron Artest? :confusedshrug:

I'm not sure, maybe a team who needs a 20PT GUY.

LA_Showtime
02-01-2011, 12:06 AM
I don't even hold that against him, Lebron is just unguardable some nights and can make anyone look bad. I'd be more worried about what Pierce and Allen did last night. Not only were those two ridiculously efficient while scoring a lot of points, they were doing it off of open shots and/or semi-open ones from the corners. Artest doesn't rebound, so it says a lot about his focus and intensity when his man is getting open or a favorable matchup again and again. Especially in the playoffs, Boston's defense can be so good that even one guy having a night like either of them had can kill you in a playoff game.

If I'm LA, I try to trade for a good defensive point guard, since Artest and Barnes are still decent enough as a small forward rotation. Only problem is that they don't have anyone that any team would want. No expirers, no draft picks that will be higher than 25th, and no young talent. Brown is the only guy I could conceivably see them trading for a role player, since he's still relatively young and could be a nice spark off the bench for a team that's starved for offense, even though I'm not sure he'll be able to succeed in a normal offense. Minnesota is a team that could use him, maybe for Ridnour (he's obviously not a defender, but he's a talent upgrade from Blake and Fisher).

I don't see the Lakers giving up Brown for Ridnour. He's hardly an upgrade. Blake is a much better player than he's shown to be but has struggled playing in the triangle. He's a smart player though so I wouldn't be surprised if he shows significant improvement in the second half of the season.

kingkong
02-01-2011, 12:10 AM
Battier and Scola for Bynum + some bench player, does that work?

ihatetimthomas
02-01-2011, 12:11 AM
Lakers are very good when it comes to keeping things under wrap like trades, so I dont think they are really looking to make one. This is simply a way to get his guys motivated. There is no one getting dealt. And quite frankly, who would take Artest at this point? No one is trading for him and the Lakers are not getting better talent in return.

The only guys who would bring back value are going no where. lol at the guys saying trade Gasol

Lakers are as is and will be as is for the rest of the season.

steve
02-01-2011, 12:15 AM
Battier and Scola for Bynum + some bench player, does that work?
I doubt the team that spent the last half decade dealing with Yao Ming is going to trade for another center with questionable health.

Doranku
02-01-2011, 12:15 AM
If we trade Gasol or Fisher, we might as well just tell Phil he can retire now because there's no way LA would win a title without either of those guys.

ukfan22
02-01-2011, 12:16 AM
Should have NEVER let Ariza go.

Doranku
02-01-2011, 12:17 AM
Should have NEVER let Ariza go.

This. Ariza was a much more reliable shooter than Artest, young and athletic, and probably would be playing better defense than Artest is now.

I miss Ariza. :cry:

AirTupac
02-01-2011, 12:21 AM
Lakers are very good when it comes to keeping things under wrap like trades, so I dont think they are really looking to make one. This is simply a way to get his guys motivated. There is no one getting dealt. And quite frankly, who would take Artest at this point? No one is trading for him and the Lakers are not getting better talent in return.

The only guys who would bring back value are going no where. lol at the guys saying trade Gasol

Lakers are as is and will be as is for the rest of the season.

I'd have to agree with you. I think he's just putting some fire under them so they can stop playing like zombies.

SavageMode
02-01-2011, 12:24 AM
Trade Gasol Back For Kwame Brown

Hondo
02-01-2011, 12:26 AM
Any deal that doesn't net them someone like Hinrich in return will be a fail as far as I'm concerned. A lot of people thought the addition of Steve Blake would shore up the Lakers issues at point guard, but he has been just as bad as Fisher.

The Lakers really need a point guard that can play defense, and space the floor. They also need Ron Artest to re-commit to the team, because it looks like he has checked out mentally.

I don't think they should trade any of their core guys; Bryant, Gasol, Bynum and Odom.

ihatetimthomas
02-01-2011, 12:26 AM
This. Ariza was a much more reliable shooter than Artest, young and athletic, and probably would be playing better defense than Artest is now.

I miss Ariza. :cry:

Blame Ariza's agent. Lakers offered him the MLE. His agent nixed that offer and the Lakers went out to get a guy who would take that kind of money. Ariza is not worth more than MLE.

LakerDefense8
02-01-2011, 12:28 AM
I wish Barnes were healthy, maybe he could show some potential starter time right now.

hawksdogsbraves
02-01-2011, 12:32 AM
They aren't going to be able to get any real value for Artest at this point. Frankly I don't know that they have enough pieces to trade for a good player.

Having said that I think that people are overreacting. Yes they are playing pretty badly right now, but this same team has won the last two championships so they are definitely a better team than they are showing.

El Kabong
02-01-2011, 12:32 AM
Holy sheet, a team underachieving and they think they need to make some moves to shake it up? Someone tell Kevin O'Connor, he needs to know about this revelation.

talamo
02-01-2011, 12:33 AM
I didn't know they were struggling. but i hope they get rid of ron artest and his tiny shorts lol

ashbelly
02-01-2011, 12:34 AM
I wish Barnes were healthy, maybe he could show some potential starter time right now.
wut ? :oldlol:

LakerDefense8
02-01-2011, 12:37 AM
wut ? :oldlol:
If he were healthy, maybe he would add pressure on Artest to keep his starting job. Or just take the damn starting job. Matt Barnes is only an average defender though. Amazing rebounder though and smarter offensive player.

BoxOutBOXOUT
02-01-2011, 01:02 AM
Aren't the Lakers 2nd in the West? LOL at all the panic. So they haven't beaten any top teams. Big whoop. A real competitor knows you might hold a little back when it doesn't really count so that you can really bring it when it does. As long as the new guys keep learning the system and everyone stays healthy, the Lakers will have just as good a shot as anyone.

ginobli2311
02-01-2011, 01:08 AM
is kupchak talking about moving bynum? because he's the only trade piece they have i think.

no way somebody is taking on artest's 7 million a year for the next 4 years without getting back bynum.

i'm assuming that gasol and odom are untouchable. so what else could they do? walton/artest have terrible contracts.

so really only shannon brown and bynum are trade chips with value on the lakers team. and i'd be shocked if they traded bynum. shocked.

BoxOutBOXOUT
02-01-2011, 01:15 AM
Bynum, Artest, & draft picks

FOR

Dwight Howard, Jameer Nelson, & Ryan Anderson

Book it. Quote me for truth. It's a done deal.

BoxOutBOXOUT
02-01-2011, 01:19 AM
Link?????
No link necessary. It's intuition. It's as good as done, unless Mitch changes his mind. QFT.

TryToBeUnbias
02-01-2011, 01:23 AM
Highly doubt any trade goes down.

The lakers simply have to put forth the effort on the defensive end.

Artest and fish have to consistently convert their WIDE OPEN shots (mainly artest) and can we PLEASE play the rookie and just keep lukes ass on the bench.

KOBEtherealKing
02-01-2011, 02:10 AM
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=49sjr98 :bowdown:

yeah i know, in my dreams. :lol

RazorBaLade
02-01-2011, 02:13 AM
hey retards it was pau for kwame and marc gasol.. u guys mannn

Nachooo
02-01-2011, 04:27 AM
Luke Walton and Joe Smith are the only players that have a chance at getting traded.

and even then its unlikely.

Everyone knows what the Lakers are capable of doing. Hopefully trade threats motivate them a little more.

JGXEN
02-01-2011, 05:00 AM
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=49sjr98 :bowdown:

yeah i know, in my dreams. :lol
Almost everyone apart from the Lakers gets raped so hard in this trade :lol

Irish
02-01-2011, 05:24 AM
Lakers and Kupchak need to decide whether Bynum can be the first option in a few years and the Lakers remain a contender. Bryant and Gasol will start to decline but the amount of money locked in their contracts means they will remain a focal point of the team.

If Bynum can develop into a superstar to lead the team through 2014 and beyond, then all well and good, but if not the team will need restructured to land another marquee player, either by trading, or a sign and trade in the next two years free agency.

Hondo
02-01-2011, 05:41 AM
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=48vdmm4
Lakers would need to send two future 1st rounders to Washington in the deal + $3 million.

That improves the current team significantly.

PG: Hinrich/ Fisher/ Shakur
SG: Bryant/ Brown/ Ebanks
SF: Artest/ Battier/ Barnes
PF: Scola/ Odom/ Smith
CT: Bynum/ Hill/ Ratliff

Force
02-01-2011, 05:42 AM
They won't trade Artest this soon. Without him they would have been eliminated in the FIRST round last year.

I think they can obtain Kirk Hinrich pretty easily. The Wizards have started over and it's Wall's team. Hinrich is a top rate perimeter defender and he can shoot and run the point well enough.

Zach Morris
02-01-2011, 06:01 AM
He's just trying to light a fire under their as*es. I promise. Relax. Such a drastic move would only make things worse at this point right now. . . unless it's a REALLY good deal. I think if the Lakers fail to make the Finals [yes, the finals] this year again, someone is definitely getting moved though. Because he hit it right on the nail. The underachieving is perplexing. WTF is goin on.

eliteballer
02-01-2011, 06:10 AM
We haven't made one significant midseason move in over 10 years besides Gasol and that was because Bynum was lost for the season...

...you guys think Mitch is gonna start now ?

:oldlol:

chains5000
02-01-2011, 06:10 AM
:rolleyes: Who can you get that's as good as Gasol?
Assuming there's a posible trade, is the player good enough to justify a big midseason trade when the Lakers should be focusing on winning now?

Pinkhearts
02-01-2011, 06:14 AM
Gasol and Artest for Melo and Nene O_O

PG: Hinrich
SG: Kobe
SF: Melo
PF: Nene
C: Bynum

d.bball.guy
02-01-2011, 06:45 AM
I don't think any trade will go down. Luke Walton playing is a factor why we are losing. A healthy Barnes and a motivated Artest will end our struggles. But if he'll make a trade, I hope this goes down.http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=45jalwd

momo
02-01-2011, 07:34 AM
http://www.digi-guard.com/images/robbery.gif

Perfect pic :lol

I'm glad Mitch said this. I cant fathom a trade that would help much, but if one is coming that could help, I trust Mitch. And it might light a fire.

BoxOutBOXOUT
02-01-2011, 04:28 PM
Anyone saying "trade Gasol" is an idiot. He's easily a top 3 big man in the league. So he's going through a bad stretch. Big deal. He started out red hot and was probably told to dial it back and pace himself for when it really matters. I can't stand fickle fans and their overreactions.

Naruto-sama
02-01-2011, 04:34 PM

:lol

I think we've all seen taht commercial too many times and i don't think Malone was being serious.

gts
02-01-2011, 04:34 PM
Mike_Bresnahan Mike Bresnahan

Lakers Coach Phil Jackson, on the possibilities of the Lakers making a trade: "Door's open for business."
13 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

Anyone saying "trade Gasol" is an idiot.There's a lot of folks on this board that overreact or only see things on a game by game or even play by play basis

just read any game thread, one bad play and a fanbase will turn on a player for the next 10 minutes then be calling him the GOAT if he makes 2 free throws in a row...lol

SinJackal
02-01-2011, 04:36 PM
^ Agreed on the, "anyone who says 'trade Gasol' is an idiot", comment.

SinJackal
02-01-2011, 04:37 PM
Bynum, Artest, & draft picks

FOR

Dwight Howard, Jameer Nelson, & Ryan Anderson

Book it. Quote me for truth. It's a done deal.

No link necessary. It's intuition. It's as good as done, unless Mitch changes his mind. QFT.

And then you woke up to reality.

Micku
02-01-2011, 04:40 PM
They ain't trading Gasol. I highly doubt it.

Kupchak probably playing some mind games with them. I dunno who he'll trade. Their main problem is defense. Besides, they have a good record. They just need to kick it up a notch. They shown the fans that they could play better.

Naruto-sama
02-01-2011, 04:41 PM
Mike_Bresnahan Mike Bresnahan

Lakers Coach Phil Jackson, on the possibilities of the Lakers making a trade: "Door's open for business."
13 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

There's a lot of folks on this board that overreact or only see things on a game by game or even play by play basis

just read any game thread, one bad play and a fanbase will turn on a player for the next 10 minutes then be calling him the GOAT if he makes 2 free throws in a row...lol

pretty sure Phil said at the halftime of last game "Artest looks completely out of it" or something to that effect singling him out. And after reading the Last Season i doubt Kobe is taking these losses gracefully more than crying in Kupchaks office demanding a trade. The first few losses and Kobe getting on everyone and if they stepped up would be one thing. But they've been losing for a while now so i wouldn't be surprised if they felt they needed to actually make a change at this point.

Gasol has always gotten hate from some Lakers fans and whatever other fans here. Even when he was their best player and playing well...

SCREWstonRockets
02-01-2011, 04:53 PM
We haven't made one significant midseason move in over 10 years besides Gasol and that was because Bynum was lost for the season...

...you guys think Mitch is gonna start now ?

dude how many titles did yall have during that time? you don't make big trade when you're winning rings.

DTD
02-01-2011, 04:58 PM
Magic also says Lakers need to make a trade:

LOS ANGELES -- A day after Los Angeles Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak said he would consider a trade amid the team's recent struggles, Magic Johnson said on Tuesday the Lakers need to make a deal to improve a team he believes isn't good enough to win a championship.

"I think we have to," Johnson said. "We have to do something. The Lakers are not responding and two things showed me that -- the Miami Heat Christmas game and then the Boston Celtics game [on Sunday]. When you don't get up for your two biggest games during the season and you have flat performances, then you have to start looking at trade possibilities to improve the team and bring some energy to the team and bring some new life to the team."

Johnson, who sold his shares in the Lakers in October, made the comments after speaking at a press conference at the Los Angeles Convention Center to announce a naming rights deal for Farmers Field, a proposed football stadium in downtown Los Angeles next to Staples Center. Johnson is planning on becoming a part-owner if Los Angeles gets a new NFL team.

"Unfortunately we're looking old and we're playing old," Johnson said. "We're not responding to the more athletic teams and the quicker teams. So we must change something. I think we have to now look at this team and maybe say we're not good enough. Things might have to change."

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/news/story?id=6080446

bdreason
02-01-2011, 04:59 PM
Artest is borderline untradeable. Unless I'm a contender, I'm not taking the risk of trading for Artest. Once he leaves the Lakers, who knows what he's going to do... especially if he's a mid-season (fukc you) trade.

BoxOutBOXOUT
02-01-2011, 05:06 PM
Ron Artest

FOR

Ray Allen

I'm calling it.

nevetslc88
02-01-2011, 05:12 PM
Phil: "Door's open for business"

Lakers Coach Phil Jackson acknowledged that the "door's open for business" regarding possible trades involving the slumping defending NBA champions.

It was a follow-up to Lakers General Manager Mitch Kupchak's proclomation Monday that the team would look into trade opportunities because it was underachieving.

"It was a good calling card that Mitch threw out there," Jackson said Tuesday.

The Lakers probably won't make wholesale changes via multi-player trades the same way Orlando did in December, Jackson said.

"We're obviously not happy with the way we've played recently but...the reality is we have a team that's pretty experienced and knows how to play in the playoffs, so I doubt if we do a multiple-[player] change," Jackson said.

http://lakersblog.latimes.com/lakersblog/2011/02/lakers-coach-phil-phil-jackson-says-the-doors-open-for-business-as-far-as-trades-bynum-to-miss-tonig.html

DO IT MITCH!

DTD
02-01-2011, 05:23 PM
Mitch, Magic, and Phil all trying to light a fire under their collective asses.

Bump.

Lakers13
02-01-2011, 05:32 PM
Sounds like Bynum out tonight. Wonder which laker team will show up

pegasus
02-01-2011, 05:48 PM
How about Howard+Bass+Q+Duhon for Gasol and Bynum and some draft picks (whatever they have)? Orlando may feel like they just don't have enough pieces to compete against the Celtics this year, and instead of wasting the next season going through what Denver is going through this season, they get maximum talent in return for Howard now. Plus, you never know, Gasol+Bynum+all of their other pieces may play better and make it out of the East.

LA's gotta love that trade, too. They would have to get rid of the triangle offense, though.

BoxOutBOXOUT
02-01-2011, 06:18 PM
How about Howard+Bass+Q+Duhon for Gasol and Bynum and some draft picks (whatever they have)? Orlando may feel like they just don't have enough pieces to compete against the Celtics this year, and instead of wasting the next season going through what Denver is going through this season, they get maximum talent in return for Howard now. Plus, you never know, Gasol+Bynum+all of their other pieces may play better and make it out of the East.

LA's gotta love that trade, too. They would have to get rid of the triangle offense, though.
Horrible trade. Bynum is expendable, Gasol is not. And why trade away either guy for Howard when they'll just sign him when his contract is up. Stupid trade.

ZeN
02-01-2011, 06:29 PM
I love that with everyone coming out and making statements... the players have been put on Notice..

Tonight is going to be evaluation time... if not by the coaching staff then by the critical fans, who will rag on every mistake and proclaim everyone trade worthy.. :oldlol:

DTD
02-01-2011, 06:31 PM
I love that without everyone coming out and making statements... the players have been put on Notice..

Tonight is going to be evaluation time... if not by the coaching staff then by the critical fans, who will rag on every mistake and proclaim everyone trade worthy.. :oldlol:

:oldlol: Yup.

knightfall88
02-01-2011, 06:48 PM
I don't think they are going to change anything outside of the PG and SF spots.

ZeN
02-01-2011, 07:01 PM
I don't think they are going to change anything outside of the PG and SF spots.
So their going to make moves in 2 out of 5 positions 40%... that would be a substantial change..

knightfall88
02-01-2011, 07:05 PM
So their going to make moves in 2 out of 5 positions 40%... that would be a substantial change..

not sure if sarcasm or not.

It'd be extremely difficult working more then 1 or 2 new guys into the Triangle

Besides the Lakers have a heavy front court and they need to balance that with speed and perimeter game from the backcourt which never was a problem because Kobe was exactly that. Because Kobe is getting older, the PG and SF needs to step up but ultimately can't because it is Fisher and Artest. Ideally they need someone in the backcourt with Speed and perimeter shooting

ImmortalD24
02-01-2011, 07:25 PM
Bynum + Odom + anyone outside of Kobe/ Gasol for...

http://www.onemanfastbreak.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/dwight_howard.jpg

+ bad contract

(I know.. pipedream)

Honestly.. I'd seriously consider trading Gasol + anyone outside of Kobe and Bynum for Dwight Howard with the way he's playing.

Dwight + Bynum might actually work.. at least defensively.

Human Error
02-01-2011, 08:16 PM
Ron Artest for Michael Beasley. Do it Mitch!

LA_Showtime
02-01-2011, 08:17 PM
Sounds like Bynum out tonight. Wonder which laker team will show up

Gasol will have a big night. It's inevitable.

KOBEtherealKing
02-01-2011, 08:18 PM
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=4wht2aa

:dancin

Jasper
02-01-2011, 09:16 PM
Majic talked about it today and said a trade is in order to get someone that cares.. even if it's a bench player.

Would Boston trade Shaq to fire up the Lakers ??? :confusedshrug:

Eat Like A Bosh
02-01-2011, 10:48 PM
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=48vdmm4
Lakers would need to send two future 1st rounders to Washington in the deal + $3 million.

That improves the current team significantly.

PG: Hinrich/ Fisher/ Shakur
SG: Bryant/ Brown/ Ebanks
SF: Artest/ Battier/ Barnes
PF: Scola/ Odom/ Smith
CT: Bynum/ Hill/ Ratliff
Giving up Gasol for Scola? And getting Hinrich won't be a big deal, the Lakers triangle system doesn't need a true point guard. Kobe and Odom can play the point well enough.
I wouldn't pull that trigger. And Artest plays good D, but the problem is he is a liability on offense. Plus against Boston on Sunday, Paul Pierce still went off for 32.

The easiest trade that would definitely help now is to swap Artest for Ariza. Do one with New Orleans.

Eat Like A Bosh
02-01-2011, 11:04 PM
I think the Lakers have too many old guys. West is right. The only young guys in the rotation regularly are Andrew Bynum and Shannon Brown. 2 other young guys that rarely get playing time, Devin Ebanks and Derrick Charater.
Everyone else is 30 and up. Lakers are like the 2nd or 3rd oldest team in the league now, behind Miami and Dallas.

I prefer the 2009 Lakers. We would've won last year with Ariza as well.
If you look at their moves, they pretty much are adding old veterans, ie the recent Joe Smith. Those moves sucked. Jordan Farmer is better than Blake.
They need to get more young talent. Dump Steve Blake, Luke Walton, Joe Smith, Theo Ratliff, Derek Fisher (maybe keep him on the bench for emotional purposes) Ron Artest(depends), and shop for more young talent.

I would say they should keep the core of Bryant, Gasol, Odom, and revamp their whole roster after this season, if they want to continue their dominance. As for Andrew Bynum, he still has a huge upside so we can keep him around, but definitely not for 13-14 Mil(playing only half a season), he's so overpaid. I'd say, when contracts up, resign Bynum for like less than 8 Mil. He's making more than Lamar Odom, and is not even that skilled, it's ridiculous. If Bynum won't play for around 8 Mil, then let him go. He wants more money than he's worth.

Look at the Spurs, they used to be the oldest team in the league, but not anymore, they added talented young guys like Dejuan Blair, George Hill, Gary Neal, etc. That's what the Lakers need to do, surround Kobe and Gasol with more young talent.

The Lakers have plenty of offensive weapons, but they need more energy guys, particular on defense. Someone like Chris Anderson, Anderson Varejao or J Noah would be helpful.

BoxOutBOXOUT
02-01-2011, 11:24 PM
Lakers are like the 2nd or 3rd oldest team in the league now, behind Miami and Dallas.
Yeah, you would think the Lakers would get a clue, seeing as how horrible those other old teams are doing. Oh wait, they're not doing horrible. The oldest teams in the league (Miami, Dallas, LA, Boston, & SA) are also the teams on top of the standings. There goes that theory. LOL.

BallsOut
02-01-2011, 11:37 PM
Blake really hasn't fit in as well as I thought he would, but it's not like he's been terrible. He still makes the correct passes and is hitting his 3pt shots pretty consistently.

I don't know if Ron is in some sort of a slump, but he's been 2 steps slower than he was last season (and he was pretty slow last season). Everything he tosses up at the basket doesn't have a chance of going in, layups, putbacks, midrange, you name it. The only two players he guards really well are Carmelo and Durant.

IMO, the Lakers should stand pat. Ratliff and Barnes are coming back in a month or so. The only trade they should do is one that ships Luke Walton out.

The Choken One
02-01-2011, 11:49 PM
fml.........lol. 1 sec

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=4ojz9ty

BeZt traDe eVFa

BoxOutBOXOUT
02-02-2011, 12:07 AM
Blake really hasn't fit in as well as I thought he would, but it's not like he's been terrible. He still makes the correct passes and is hitting his 3pt shots pretty consistently.

I don't know if Ron is in some sort of a slump, but he's been 2 steps slower than he was last season (and he was pretty slow last season). Everything he tosses up at the basket doesn't have a chance of going in, layups, putbacks, midrange, you name it. The only two players he guards really well are Carmelo and Durant.

IMO, the Lakers should stand pat. Ratliff and Barnes are coming back in a month or so. The only trade they should do is one that ships Luke Walton out.
Walton & 2nd Round Pick

FOR

OJ Mayo

Make it happen, Mitch.

DeronMillsap
02-02-2011, 12:11 AM
Who on the Jazz team that's not named Deron Williams do you Laker fans want for Odom?

DeronMillsap
02-02-2011, 12:12 AM
fml.........lol. 1 sec

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=4ojz9ty

BeZt traDe eVFa
Oh, F--K YOU! :mad:

Just wait two years, D-Will will probably join you guys. :rolleyes:

The Choken One
02-02-2011, 12:16 AM
Who on the Jazz team that's not named Deron Williams do you Laker fans want for Odom?

Kobe and Odom are the only guys I wouldn't want them to trade away. Oh...and Fisher. But no one wants Fisher. and for them to keep 1 of Bynum and Gasol.

Jasper
02-02-2011, 12:51 AM
Found the perfect trade for Lakers :

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine

jennings for Brown (He's all yours)

d.bball.guy
02-02-2011, 12:55 AM

Yeah, that's f*ckin perfect.

flipogb
02-02-2011, 01:09 AM
Kobe and Odom are the only guys I wouldn't want them to trade away. Oh...and Fisher. But no one wants Fisher. and for them to keep 1 of Bynum and Gasol.
yeah same here , also Barnes because he doesn't have much trade value and we need a player like him

Optimus Prime
02-02-2011, 01:11 AM
Please oh please let there be a team out there that wants Luke Walton! :lol

AJ2k8
02-02-2011, 01:14 AM

Not a fan of him?:confusedshrug:

Optimus Prime
02-02-2011, 01:20 AM

Shannon Brown started off ridiculously hot, but now he's just chucking. I cringe every time he has the ball, because I just know it will be a contested brick.

Mamba
02-02-2011, 01:20 AM
trade odom and fisher for dextar pittman, mario chalmers and eddie house.

come on kupchak you know you want to.

AJ2k8
02-02-2011, 02:06 AM
Shannon Brown started off ridiculously hot, but now he's just chucking. I cringe every time he has the ball, because I just know it will be a contested brick.
Jasper is a Bucks fan i believe... Meaning he would want to get rid of Jennings:cheers:

BoxOutBOXOUT
02-02-2011, 02:52 AM
The Lakers don't have to trade anyone. They can just wait it out and sign guys in the next few years. Guys have already made it clear they want to play in LA. This is my predicted Lakers roster in 2-3 years:

PG: Chris Paul
SG: Kobe Bryant
SF: Lamar Odom
PF: Pau Gasol
C: Dwight Howard & Andrew Bynum

Don't believe me? Just wait.

NoGunzJustSkillz
02-02-2011, 02:53 AM
The Lakers don't have to trade anyone. They can just wait it out and sign guys in the next few years. Guys have already made it clear they want to play in LA. This is my predicted Lakers roster in 2-3 years:

lakers will never be under the cap especially with the new cba coming.

The Choken One
02-02-2011, 02:55 AM

You have a very good poker face.

The Lakers will acquire a superstar soon... possibly sooner then we think. I really want them to make a push for Melo...they have the pieces to make it happen.

But if I were to guess a superstar to be on the Lakers in a few seasons...it wouldn't be Howard or CP3... I could see them mainly pushing for a superstar type PG...so I take that back about Paul. But I just can't see him in a Lakers uni. DWill just appears to fit so damn well.

Was just thinking...when does Nash's contract expire? I mean...I just don't see the Suns as contenders anymore. The guy needs to go somewhere set-up to win championships now... the Lakers are the perfect fit.... if only....

Jasper
02-02-2011, 03:02 AM

If your a student of basketball , just watch Jennings EVERY play ..

As a PG , they are the heart of the team when it comes to posessions + or -

All most every play he is in I see horrible discisions' and the only way he saves face is nailing some shoots... it's pathetic...

I just have to wonder if Skiles and Hammond ever look at video tape of the guy ?? It just seems they lick his but hole

Bokins and Dooling were far better distibutin' the ball and still got as many shots on a better shooting %.

FACTS

I'd lov to see HArris from the Nets come to Milwaukee for Jennings

AJ2k8
02-02-2011, 11:04 AM

All most every play he is in I see horrible discisions' and the only way he saves face is nailing some shoots... it's pathetic...

I just have to wonder if Skiles and Hammond ever look at video tape of the guy ?? It just seems they lick his but hole

Bokins and Dooling were far better distibutin' the ball and still got as many shots on a better shooting %.

FACTS

I don't watch the Bucks a whole lot so your opinion is much more valid than mine, although i have to say the times that i have watched him i haven't been overly impressed unless he's hot from range..

Always assumed that the small amount of hype that followed him indicated that he was a decent player who just needed some time to develop:confusedshrug:

CBLhoops
02-02-2011, 11:06 AM
artest and fisher and filler for chris paul and ariza:oldlol:

Naruto-sama
02-02-2011, 11:19 AM

FACTS

I agree. Jennings shot selection is horrible. He's feast or famine. Some games he plays pretty well but a lot of other games especially when he's not hitting he keeps shooting like he's Kobe. Its worse he's a PG that should be getting others more involved. He looked like a selfish idiot his first game back from injury and then had the nerve to complain about his minutes.

I think Devin Harris and Jennings are actually very similar players. Both are generally score first, hit or miss PG's that don't generally take the smartest shots.

I like Shannon Brown tho. I think he has a good 3 pt shot all in all, and his up's are ridiculous. I think he could do a lot more with more shots and minutes and possibly turn into a star player.

Eat Like A Bosh
02-16-2011, 06:00 PM
Pretty sure Mitch was bluffing, they probably don't have sufficient pieces to make the big move.
The Lakers are fan the way they are, it's just all mental.