PDA

View Full Version : Can Steph Curry become as good as Steve Nash?

lovethetriangle
02-06-2011, 02:13 AM
This guy never fails to entertain and seems so sure of what he is doing on every play. He rebounds beautifully, can slash, can pass, can dribble, shoot, and is clutch. His fouling is his current weakness and that fact that he's still a bit of a tweener.

Can he become a superstar?

YouCallILose
02-06-2011, 02:14 AM
He will never be the playmaker Nash is but he can be a better scorer. 25/5/8 on 50/40/90 is his ceiling which would be a borderline top 5 player in the NBA

jasonresno
This guy never fails to entertain and seems so sure of what he is doing on every play. He rebounds beautifully, can slash, can pass, can dribble, shoot, and is clutch. His fouling is his current weakness and that fact that he's still a bit of a tweener.

Can he become a superstar?
The dudes got a jumper straight from God. I don't know too much about him because I don't get to watch many GS games but he looked legit tonight against the Bulls.

Rose
Yes he can.

donald_trump
02-06-2011, 02:15 AM
so basically an mvp and a top 5 pg ever? i dont see it.

O BaByShaQ
02-06-2011, 02:23 AM
His shot has the form of Nash and the release speed of Allen. He has the potential to be one of the best shooters if he stays away from injury.

Lakers12
02-06-2011, 02:44 AM
nash didn't become a top point guard til he turn 30 when he came to the suns. curry at 22 has 8 years before he needs to catch up to nash. and at age 22, curry already is shooting 43% on 3 pointers. so it's possible.

I'm Seriously
02-06-2011, 02:47 AM
I doubt it.

There similar in the aspect that they both have a skinny 6-3 frame, and both are amazing shooters.

But as great as Nash's shooting is that's not what he's known for, and IMO what he's best at. That would be playmaking(and anchoring an offense), and I doubt Curry will ever be remotely close to Nash as a playmaker.

O BaByShaQ
02-06-2011, 03:18 AM
I doubt it.

But as great as Nash's shooting is that's not what he's known for, and IMO what he's best at. That would be playmaking(and anchoring an offense), and I doubt Curry will ever be remotely close to Nash as a playmaker.

Yes he is a better passer than shooter, but he is also an amazing shooter in all aspects + curry is very early in his career and already showing he can stroke it like Nash and can pass well already...

SleepyCorpse
02-06-2011, 03:23 AM
i dunno, i mean the team is already looking to trade him, that has to say something

Lakers12
02-06-2011, 03:28 AM
i dunno, i mean the team is already looking to trade him, that has to say something

and nash was traded 2 times in his career.

I'm Seriously
02-06-2011, 03:56 AM
and nash was traded 2 times in his career.

:facepalm
Nash was only traded once, when he came back to Pheonix it was as a free agent.

Scoooter
02-06-2011, 04:00 AM
What the hell, they beat the Bulls? He probably won't be as good as Nash, but he's got all the tools. That jumper is perfect.

midatlantic09
02-06-2011, 04:01 AM
Curry will likely end up becoming a better player than Nash.

bdreason
02-06-2011, 04:08 AM
Curry has a higher ceiling than Nash... but that doesn't mean he'll have a better career. He certainly won't be winning 2 MVP's.

Lakers12
02-06-2011, 04:15 AM
Curry has a higher ceiling than Nash... but that doesn't mean he'll have a better career. He certainly won't be winning 2 MVP's.

too early to tell. maybe curry will play for D'Antoni when he's in his prime.

alenleomessi
02-06-2011, 04:25 AM
He can, but i doubt he will

I'm Seriously
02-06-2011, 04:27 AM
Curry will likely end up becoming a better player than Nash.

Curry has a higher ceiling than Nash...

:roll:

too early to tell. maybe curry will play for D'Antoni when he's in his prime.

I totally forgot that Nash even played for D'Antoni, you know with him putting up 17/11 on 64 TS% in 33 MPG at age 37. Oh, and at a slower pace.

Nash is nothing without D'Antoni.

Lakers12
02-06-2011, 04:29 AM

I totally forgot that Nash even played for D'Antoni, you know with him putting up 17/11 on 64 TS% in 33 MPG at age 37. Oh, and at a slower pace.

Nash is nothing without D'Antoni.

why you butthurt? curry is only 22 and only time will tell.

che guevara
02-06-2011, 04:37 AM
I doubt he'll ever be as good as Nash, but he has the potential to be one of the greatest shooters ever. Has there ever been a 2nd year player shooting his threes and FTs as well as Curry?

I'm Seriously
02-06-2011, 04:39 AM
why you butthurt? curry is only 22 and only time will tell.

Not butthurt.

Just sick of people saying "Put anyone in that system and they'll be just as good!!!"

ShaqAttack3234
02-06-2011, 05:01 AM
This thread is definitely premature, and as of now, no, I don't see him being as good as Nash. I don't see the historically great passing ability that Nash has in Curry. Not to mention that Curry possibly becoming a better shooter. Steve didn't have an opportunity from the start either. He was stuck behind KJ in his rookie year(who was still averaging 20/9 on 50% shooting) as well as Sam Cassell and later, Jason Kidd. And while Nash wasn't considered an MVP-caliber player in Dallas, he was one of the league's best point guards and players weren't putting up the same assist and shooting numbers in the early 2000s that they are now.

Lebron23
02-06-2011, 05:13 AM
He has the potential to become as good as Steve Nash. Nash is putting up MVP caliber numbers this season. You must respect him because he's still a top 5 PG in the NBA.

Bigsmoke
02-06-2011, 11:35 AM
dude is more of a scorer to me.

Shepseskaf
02-06-2011, 12:21 PM
He certainly won't be winning 2 MVP's.
That's easy to explain. Nash didn't deserve either of them.

Steph is a pure, pure, shooter and if he gets traded hopefully its to someplace where he can be showcased.

If he participates, he's my choice for the 3-pt contest, over Ray Ray.

8BeastlyXOIAD
02-06-2011, 12:23 PM
i DOUBT IT.

Nash is a 2 time MVP, one of the greatest shooters and and one of the best passers of all time.

steve
02-06-2011, 01:48 PM
I doubt he'll ever be as good as Nash, but he has the potential to be one of the greatest shooters ever. Has there ever been a 2nd year player shooting his threes and FTs as well as Curry?
The answer is no. I set it at 20 minutes a game, so it would only be rotation players. (http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/psl_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&type=totals&per_minute_base=36&lg_id=NBA&is_playoffs=N&year_min=&year_max=&franch_id=&season_start=1&season_end=2&age_min=0&age_max=99&height_min=0&height_max=99&birth_country_is=Y&birth_country=&is_active=&is_hof=&pos=&qual=&c1stat=fg3_pct&c1comp=gt&c1val=.40&c2stat=ft_pct&c2comp=gt&c2val=.90&c3stat=mp_per_g&c3comp=gt&c3val=20&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&c5stat=&c5comp=gt&c6mult=1.0&c6stat=&order_by=ws)

Actually, it's not even that close with other players who have shot 90% from the line in their first or second years. (http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/psl_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&type=totals&per_minute_base=36&lg_id=NBA&is_playoffs=N&year_min=&year_max=&franch_id=&season_start=1&season_end=2&age_min=0&age_max=99&height_min=0&height_max=99&birth_country_is=Y&birth_country=&is_active=&is_hof=&pos=&qual=&c1stat=&c1comp=gt&c1val=&c2stat=ft_pct&c2comp=gt&c2val=.90&c3stat=mp_per_g&c3comp=gt&c3val=20&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&c5stat=&c5comp=gt&c6mult=1.0&c6stat=&order_by=ws)

This thread is definitely premature, and as of now, no, I don't see him being as good as Nash. I don't see the historically great passing ability that Nash has in Curry. Not to mention that Curry possibly becoming a better shooter. Steve didn't have an opportunity from the start either. He was stuck behind KJ in his rookie year(who was still averaging 20/9 on 50% shooting) as well as Sam Cassell and later, Jason Kidd. And while Nash wasn't considered an MVP-caliber player in Dallas, he was one of the league's best point guards and players weren't putting up the same assist and shooting numbers in the early 2000s that they are now.
Of course Nash wasn't considered as great of a passer as he became coming out of college. Although a lot of the increase in his numbers in Phoenix had to do with a change in pecking order. The iso heavy offense in Dallas didn't always take full advantage of some of the things that Nash did well, he was still a great shooter, but he became a better shooter (especially inside the 3 point arc) because he was able to dictate where he shot the ball instead of being a reactionary like he was in Dallas.

The thread's premature but mainly because Curry is sort of in the same position Nash was in in Dallas. Where Curry's not the catalyst in the offense (although I'm of the mind that he probably should be).

LT Ice Cream
02-06-2011, 03:54 PM

Those MVP's are largely due to Amar'e. Steph has no big man of that caliber to help his stats.

lilWesleyJ4
02-06-2011, 03:56 PM
Curry will never be as good of a passer as Nash, but I could see him becoming a better shooter.

allabouthawks
02-06-2011, 03:59 PM
i like curry but he isnt as good playmaker so no point guard should be playmaking > scoring

Styles p
02-06-2011, 04:00 PM
no.

Fatal9
02-06-2011, 04:02 PM
Those MVP's are largely due to Amar'e. Steph has no big man of that caliber to help his stats.
He won his second MVP without Amare...

PHX_Phan
02-06-2011, 04:20 PM
No.

Lakers12
02-06-2011, 05:20 PM
i like curry but he isnt as good playmaker so no point guard should be playmaking > scoring

nash's 00-01 season with dallas where he played 70 games.

15.6 pts and 7.3 assists.

curry's rookie season 17.5 pts and 5.9 assists

nash didn't start out his career being a great playmaker, he got to that point at 30 years old playing for the suns.

curry has the potential, only time will tell.

Showtime
02-06-2011, 05:27 PM
He will never be the playmaker Nash is

Where does this come from? Never? Nash was never the playmaker Nash was until his second stint in PHX. So where do you get off saying "never"?

He's never fully been given control of an offense. Ellis when healthy is clearly eating into that. But Curry's game relies less upon his athleticism and more on his IQ and skills, which can grow over time with more and more experience. So, he has the potential to become a better playmaker. I don't see why he couldn't be a leading assist man in the right situation further on down the road.

chips93
02-06-2011, 05:41 PM
hes not yet the penetrator nash is, and his passing is underrated, but not on nash's level, but hes definitely got the jumpshot

he could become a better scoring nas, with worse pg skills imo

peak: 23ppg, 5rpg, 8apg, 2 spg, 50%fg, 40&3pt, 90%ft

I'm Seriously
02-06-2011, 08:47 PM

notsureifserious.

no pun intended
02-06-2011, 09:16 PM
Curry will certainly be better at scoring than Nash but won't be as good as facilitating as Nash.

Fatal9
02-06-2011, 09:25 PM
Curry needs to work on being smarter with his ball handling and work on keeping the dribble alive longer like the other great PGs. That can really take him to the next level in terms of being a playmaker because he can reach so many different spots on the floor that way. His passing is really good though. Can thread some absolute dimes, runs the pick and roll/pop with Lee really well, can be a bit careless but overall makes high IQ passes. Love his skill set, just hope he has the competitive fire to make the most of it.

Eat Like A Bosh
02-06-2011, 09:28 PM
He has a god given jump shot. He might be a better scorer than Nash. But in terms of playmaking, no. He is not a true PG imo, more like a undersized SG that can pass.

Why not say he can be a undersized Ray Allen? With better passing

KevinNYC
02-06-2011, 10:56 PM
Curry needs to work on being smarter with his ball handling and work on keeping the dribble alive longer like the other great PGs.

With the current crew of point guards, he could get as good as Nash and not be considered the number 1 point guard. He seems like he's a real hard worker, so I can see him becoming a great passer a few years from now.

But I have general question about Nash. Was he the guy who started the keep-your-dribble-alive-and-circle-under-the-basket move that is so popular these days. It's like when Gretzky used to camp-out behind the net and make plays in hockey? He's the first guy I noticed it with. Was anyone else doing that drive-hold-and-kick-out move before him?

bdreason
02-07-2011, 02:01 AM
With the current crew of point guards, he could get as good as Nash and not be considered the number 1 point guard. He seems like he's a real hard worker, so I can see him becoming a great passer a few years from now.

But I have general question about Nash. Was he the guy who started the keep-your-dribble-alive-and-circle-under-the-basket move that is so popular these days. It's like when Gretzky used to camp-out behind the net and make plays in hockey? He's the first guy I noticed it with. Was anyone else doing that drive-hold-and-kick-out move before him?

A lot of PG's with good handles started doing that when they started making perimeter players untouchable.

Sweens
02-07-2011, 03:21 AM
Curry set the record for most 3s made in a season by a rookie, so he has a good shot, and decent passing ability but I feel the net 5 years and will decide whether he can develop his game and passing inparticular into something as good as Nash.

DuMa
02-07-2011, 03:30 AM
same mold of players but different mindset. curry looks to score when he has an open shot, not really set up other players.

LT Ice Cream
02-07-2011, 03:48 AM
same mold of players but different mindset. curry looks to score when he has an open shot, not really set up other players.

Wut? So you're saying Nash doesn't look to score when he's open?

1987_Lakers
01-27-2016, 01:46 AM

lol

plowking
01-27-2016, 01:52 AM
lol

Who knows, maybe he wins 3? He'd still be right. :oldlol:

JohnFreeman
01-27-2016, 01:54 AM
:applause:

konex
01-27-2016, 02:03 AM

:roll: :D

Hopper15
01-27-2016, 02:35 AM
lol

SyRyanYang
01-27-2016, 02:42 AM

lol never say never
But I'm sure you are as happy as anyone that you were wrong

bdreason
01-27-2016, 07:50 PM
lol never say never
But I'm sure you are as happy as anyone that you were wrong

I didn't even want to draft Curry. :facepalm

HoopSuperstar
01-27-2016, 08:09 PM
I didn't even want to draft Curry. :facepalm

Did you feel like this kid?:https://nesncom.files.wordpress.com/2015/06/knicks-fan-crying.jpg

24-Inch_Chrome
01-27-2016, 08:17 PM
I still don't think that Curry is as good a passer/playmaker as Nash but his scoring peak is clearly better and it's not like Curry is a passing/playmaking slouch.

Better defender too.

bobopenguin
01-27-2016, 08:51 PM
so basically an mvp and a top 5 pg ever? i dont see it.

donald_trump is holding too much Ls

TheMarkMadsen
01-27-2016, 09:06 PM
I'm not going to say that I saw this coming, but after he almost took out KU in the tourney I knew he was something special. There are only a few elite tough shot makers to ever play and Curry was clearly one of them from the get-go.

I predicted he would win MVP in 2015 but I did not think they would win a title that year. Jump shooting teams just don't win titles - unless they have Steph Curry. I just hadn't realized how GOAT level his shooting was and how many opportunities it opens up for his teammates and how heartbreaking it is for the defense. When you are consistently hitting shots that you just physically shouldn't be able to make due to the defense/distance it absolutly kills the other teams morale. People really underrate that aspect of the game..