PDA

View Full Version : What does "lowering your shoulder" mean?

LastChanceToWin
02-18-2011, 08:55 PM
I know what it means literally, but what's so bad about it? I played basketball at the park today and some kid called me for it when I drove in the lane and layed it up. Why is lowering your shoulder an offensive foul? What's so bad about it? How do I avoid lowering my shoulder when driving it in?

Javat_90
02-18-2011, 08:57 PM
He probably got annoyed by your paella sweating face and was just indirectly telling you:

Use some lotion mfka.

I think thats what "lowering your shoulder" really meant in this context.

knickscity
02-18-2011, 08:59 PM
It is an obvious attempt to initial the contact, thus an offensive foul.

The defender already has the position you are trying to take.

Although if you fake a guy in the air, and properly lean in and shoot, usually you will get the benfit everytime on that one.

LastChanceToWin
02-18-2011, 09:03 PM
It is an obvious attempt to initial the contact, thus an offensive foul.

The defender already has the position you are trying to take.

Although if you fake a guy in the air, and properly lean in and shoot, usually you will get the benfit everytime on that one.
I was playing at the park, and I saw some open space, so I drove it in. I hit some guys on the way there, and this called was made.

az00m
02-18-2011, 09:04 PM
It's what lebron does 90% of the time when he drives the ball to get fouls.

Lower the shoulder and charge!

Jasper
02-18-2011, 09:28 PM
Lowering the shoulder :

Think of a bballer dribbling with square shoulders to and thru a location.
Because bball is based on angles and position , you might of been dribbling on an angle of your body leaning, yet you saw an opening and felt as if it was your right to that position or location.

If a defender is fast enough he can stop or impede your progress and your shoulder comes in contact with his chest area.

It could be called a blocking location 'positional' foul on the defender.

But if he was there first and your shoulder came in 'late' it is called an offensive foul.
-------------------
We always think an offensive foul is a drive to the hoop and a defender gets bowled over .. but this is a lateral movement by both players fighting for the same positional location.
No matter if it's playground , high school , college or the pro's it's one of the tougher calls.

When I played on the playground , that lateral position was always deemed the offensive players.. .but when I played it was a very physical game and defenders took the punishment.

Hope that answers your question.

Jasper

Here is a vid : (because these are post players this is like slow motion , but watch Gasol position prior to Oden)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLN0QOhcQBA

Portland center lowered his shoulder to get to a location , Gasol was there to impede his progress and lowering of the shoulder created the charge call.

Dwade305
02-18-2011, 09:51 PM
I know what it means literally, but what's so bad about it? I played basketball at the park today and some kid called me for it when I drove in the lane and layed it up. Why is lowering your shoulder an offensive foul? What's so bad about it? How do I avoid lowering my shoulder when driving it in?
Maybe your bony ass shoulders hurt him:confusedshrug:

MMM
02-18-2011, 11:09 PM
WTF he called you for an offensive foul playing at the park. WTF is the world coming too, this actually reminds me of a guy who was straight up knocking my ass out while playing when I was in my youth.

lakerHater
02-18-2011, 11:18 PM
WTF he called you for an offensive foul playing at the park.
:roll:

Exactley what I was thinkin!!

NuggetsFan
02-18-2011, 11:19 PM
Denver-Utah last year's playoffs. Watch Melo.

Nash-tastic
02-18-2011, 11:19 PM
Maybe your bony ass shoulders hurt him:confusedshrug:
That's what I do to most people :D

Batz
02-18-2011, 11:20 PM
WTF he called you for an offensive foul playing at the park. WTF is the world coming too, this actually reminds me of a guy who was straight up knocking my ass out while playing when I was in my youth.
Honestly wtf...

bdreason
02-18-2011, 11:21 PM
You can't call a guy out for lowering his shoulder in street ball. :oldlol: