PDA

View Full Version : Input on best protein powders

dkmwise
02-21-2011, 03:41 PM
Looking for some input on what people think is the best protein powder to take and why. I've mainly used GNC in the past but looking to get something different.

B-Low
02-21-2011, 03:47 PM
I just use the Six Star whey protein stuff at Wal Mart. Been using it for a couple years and it works just fine IMO. Plus it's only $17 per tub (or jar? let's just say container).

Joshumitsu
02-21-2011, 03:54 PM
If you want taste alongside performance, the Body Fortress Whey powder from Wal-mart tastes pretty good, especially when using milk instead of water. I recommend the chocolate flavor mixed with milk as it tastes kind of like a chocolate shake.

Brujo
02-21-2011, 03:59 PM
Depends on what you want.Iam using this for the past 3-4 months.It can build both lean and big muscle depending on how you use it.Only knock on it is its price.60 bucks.

http://a1468.g.akamai.net/f/1468/580/1d/pics.Drugstore.com/prodimg/217737/200.JPG

dkmwise
02-21-2011, 04:06 PM
Depends on what you want.Iam using this for the past 3-4 months.It can build both lean and big muscle depending on how you use it.Only knock on it is its price.60 bucks.

http://a1468.g.akamai.net/f/1468/580/1d/pics.Drugstore.com/prodimg/217737/200.JPG

Thats actualy the one i'm using now. I like it and have no complaints about it, but I looking into trying something like Cytosport Muscle Milk or MuscleTech Nitro-Tech. Wondering if there's going to be a noticeable difference with either of these.

Brujo
02-21-2011, 04:12 PM
Thats actualy the one i'm using now. I like it and have no complaints about it, but I looking into trying something like Cytosport Muscle Milk or MuscleTech Nitro-Tech. Wondering if there's going to be a noticeable difference with either of these.
What are you trying to achieve?

dkmwise
02-21-2011, 04:18 PM
What are you trying to achieve?

Build lean muscle (not get huge), lose fat, but most importantly from the protein podwer to recover quickly.

cody1889
02-21-2011, 04:29 PM
Optimum Nutrition. Order it off bodybuilding.com. It taste the best.

Brujo
02-21-2011, 04:29 PM
Build lean muscle (not get huge), lose fat, but most importantly from the protein podwer to recover quickly.
Iam just like you.I can also see why you would want to try something else iam also in that stage.I would however say not to go with muscle milk if your trying to build lean muscle and lose body fat since it also contains casien protein.

mhg88
02-21-2011, 04:31 PM
I've been using the ON 100% Whey... decent price and the taste is pretty good as well. Only downside is you have to wait for it to arrive in the mail but shipping is fast (only 2-3 days). For a long time I was using the stuff from walmart just for the price and convenience factor. Once I tried the ON 100% I realized the extra couple dollars were worth it for me as I no longer had the horrible smelling gas I used to get with the walmart brands. Also if you compare the flavor and solubility vs the walmart brands you will probably see it is a better choice overall. I'd recommend the double rich chocolate although I admit I have never tried the other flavors.

dkmwise
02-21-2011, 04:56 PM
Iam just like you.I can also see why you would want to try something else iam also in that stage.I would however say not to go with muscle milk if your trying to build lean muscle and lose body fat since it also contains casien protein.

Good point on the Muscle Milk. I actually do like the GNC AMP, but since i've been working out a lot more than before I want to make sure i'm getting the most out of all the time and energy i'm putting into it.

JEFFERSON MONEY
02-21-2011, 06:16 PM
I've been using the ON 100% Whey... decent price and the taste is pretty good as well. Only downside is you have to wait for it to arrive in the mail but shipping is fast (only 2-3 days). For a long time I was using the stuff from walmart just for the price and convenience factor. Once I tried the ON 100% I realized the extra couple dollars were worth it for me as I no longer had the horrible smelling gas I used to get with the walmart brands. Also if you compare the flavor and solubility vs the walmart brands you will probably see it is a better choice overall. I'd recommend the double rich chocolate although I admit I have never tried the other flavors.

Yep. Same situation.

QuebecBaller
02-21-2011, 06:43 PM
http://www.bodybuilding4you.co.uk/images/optimum_nutrition_hydro_whey.jpg

chazzy
02-21-2011, 06:47 PM
Yeah ON is good, I use gold standard

matt1016
02-21-2011, 07:01 PM
I use the Biotest stuff here: t-nation store
(http://www.t-nation.com/store/supplements/metabolic-drive-low-carb.jsp)
Tastes pretty good and is supposedly high quality. (Can't verify the latter since I don't have a fully functioning nutritional lab)

LA_Showtime
02-21-2011, 07:24 PM
I've pretty much come to the conclusion they're all pretty much the same thing and that if you're looking for results you should focus mainly on your diet and/or exercise routines.

Myth
02-21-2011, 07:27 PM
Semen is filled with protein. Just go into a gay bar and you'll see the results on a large sample size.

Fatal9
02-21-2011, 07:34 PM
Buy some glutamine powder for muscle recovery and mix it with your protein power + flavored yogurt (for taste) after workout. Noticed a noticeable difference when I started putting glutamine in my shakes.

Sicknote
02-21-2011, 09:13 PM
Syntha-6 (Chocolate)

http://www.losexweight.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/syntha-6-1.jpg

Best tasting.

baseketball4life
02-21-2011, 09:16 PM
I use Wellements Dutch Chocolate Whey Protein (6 pound bag sold at Costco for 30 bucks). Great value I've found and also mixes well and tastes great, obviously I mix it with Milk in a shaker bottle.

LA_Showtime
02-21-2011, 09:29 PM
If you're looking to gain lean muscle, is whey protein the way to go?

You make it sound like whey protein is some magical pill that allows you to easily build muscle without adding fat. Clean up your diet, lift heavy, incorporate cardio and you'll see results, period. Protein powder is just another way to get PROTEIN... it's not something you absolutely need to see results.

ALBballer
02-21-2011, 09:40 PM
I also use On 100 Whey. I only use water (I'm on a cut) and it's pretty good.

LA_Showtime
02-21-2011, 09:41 PM
I apologize for not going in depth. My diet is pretty solid (chicken, fish, oatmeal, lots of fruits and vegies, skim milk). I also take many different vitamins, a multivitamin, and probiotics. I just thought that since this was a thread about which types of protein powders I could just ask without having to run down all the details.

I've just started lifting (seriously) for the first time

Cool. Well if you're looking to gain lean muscle mass, then eat a couple hundred calories above your caloric maintenance (clean foods only!) and you'll gain lean muscle with little fat gain if any. If you want to cut, then eat below your maintenance. It's pretty cut and dried really.

Hawker
02-21-2011, 09:51 PM
http://www.philsupplements.com/image/ON%20Whey%205%20lbs.jpg

I use this. Works wonders.

Fatal9
02-21-2011, 09:52 PM
I'm not quite hip to your lingo? Clean foods? does that mean like fruits veggies etc.. ?

So basically eat more food and I'll gain the lean muscle, and basically if you wanna get cut eat less.
^ you're not going to lower body fat and add only "lean muscle" if you are bulking unless you are blessed genetically. you'll stay around the same body fat level or higher as you're bulking (and you'll also add muscle). you could do a "lean bulk", but you have to do some really complicated intermittent fasting program like this one: http://www.leangains.com/.

he means finding your maintenance calorie intake. eg. if it's 2500 cals, and you want to bulk you should be taking in north of 3k cals per day. if you want to cut, stay under 2200 cals. there are lots of online calculators that give you an idea of what your maintenance calorie intake is around.

JrueHoliday11
02-21-2011, 10:13 PM
http://www.philsupplements.com/image/ON%20Whey%205%20lbs.jpg

I use this. Works wonders.
second this

cody1889
02-21-2011, 10:15 PM
second this

This is easily the best out there. Extreme milk chocolate is my favorite flavor.

LA_Showtime
02-22-2011, 12:47 AM
^ you're not going to lower body fat and add only "lean muscle" if you are bulking unless you are blessed genetically. you'll stay around the same body fat level or higher as you're bulking (and you'll also add muscle). you could do a "lean bulk", but you have to do some really complicated intermittent fasting program like this one: http://www.leangains.com/.

he means finding your maintenance calorie intake. eg. if it's 2500 cals, and you want to bulk you should be taking in north of 3k cals per day. if you want to cut, stay under 2200 cals. there are lots of online calculators that give you an idea of what your maintenance calorie intake is around.

Well he might be able to, as he has never had a regular strength training regime. But yes, for the most part it's extremely difficult to accomplish both at once. It can be done, but most people prefer to either bulk or cut as the results are more apparent and thus more gratifying.

LA_Showtime
02-22-2011, 12:49 AM

If his maintenance is 2,500, he doesn't need more than 2,800-3,000 calories to gain lean muscle mass. Hell, he'd probably gain lean muscle mass by eating at his maintenance if he's truly new to lifting.

Clean foods - fruits, vegetables, whole grains, etc. Just Google it.

LA_Showtime
02-22-2011, 12:59 AM
gotcha. Why does it matter if I've never had a training regimine before, just out of curiousity?

You'll experience "noob gains," meaning you'll gain strength in the gym much faster than your average joe. I don't know the exact science behind it, but I'm assuming it's because your body's adjusting to the compound exercises and stress of lifting for the first time. Take advantage of it.

LA_Showtime
02-22-2011, 01:00 AM
If you're truly around 24% body fat you'll probably see results by just working out; however, if you watch what you eat and count your calories the results will come much faster and your body composition will be much better.

LA_Showtime
02-22-2011, 01:12 AM
I did the body fat calculator thing at the gym, it said 24%. I don't think my calories are that high to be honest.. I'm not sure but I only snack on fruits and almonds. My meals are pretty healthy. And I only drink water. I hope you're right, I've never been "in shape" before. I used to run 5 miles a day a few years back and got skinny but I've never been muscular

Well regardless of what your body fat is (those calculators are misleading) just eat right, exercise, and lift hard and you'll see results. I'd go by what you look like in the mirror and not what you see on the scale. Oh, and I've helped a few of my frat buddies lose the freshman 15 and whenever they've stalled or failed it has been because of their diet. That shit can screw you up, especially when you're downing 15 or 16 beers on Friday nights.

daballa13
02-22-2011, 01:44 AM
The best whey protein or post-workout protein supplement on the market right now is Promasil by Rivalus, it's been getting awesome reviews and is really good from what people tell me, second to that has got to be Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold Standard, a staple for whey protein and has been long considered top of the class. Right now I'm just finishing a 5lb tub of Isoflex Whey Protein Isolate and its not that good, gonna try out Optimum next.

bdreason
02-22-2011, 02:35 AM
I use ProLab N-Large 2 (chocolate).

http://musclesurf.com/nlarge2.html

I'm no expert though.

NotYetGreat
02-22-2011, 05:56 AM
I really don't think the brand makes THAT big of a difference. It's really just in taste, I guess, and sometimes it's absorption and helping in recovery. Just use it to aid in your protein intake (I force myself to eat icky cafeteria food with small servings 5 days a week) and recovery. I've been using whey since late December and I've noticed some improvements in both appearance and performance. I think I've cut around 2 lbs of fat and gained 6 lbs of muscle since (I started with resistance bands January last year, gained 26 lbs without supplements, then moved to mostly bodyweight training and gained 6 more) and I really feel much better before, during, and after workouts. Now, I do Upper Bodyweight Mondays, Squat/Deadlift Tuesdays, & Upper Circuit Thursdays and it's really helped me. I really believe bodyweight exercises are the most efficient exercises ever.

Anyway, I've used 2 brands to date. My first was TwinLab's Vanilla Slam. Excellent solubility, tasted great alone and with additives like cocoa powder, bananas, oatmeal, peanut butter, etc. Workouts didn't exactly seem easier, but they didn't feel as straining on the body as without. Now, mainly because of the price, I tried out TapouT's Warrior Whey. They only had chocolate, so I got that. Also had excellent solubility, but I really prefer vanilla as I could make a wider range of flavors. This definitely isn't the best, but it's not so bad either. It's reminds me of Oreo cookies, minus the cream. For me, it's good as a cookie, but as something to drink, it's not the chocolate flavor you're looking for. Could actually feel bigger using this, although I did feel a bit of the soreness that TwinLab helped alleviate. If you're on a budget (TwinLab's also not that expensive), these two are great powders. Hope this helped! :ohwell:

http://img.nuvalife.com/supplements/069721-9/1/Twinlab---100-Whey-Protein-Fuel-Vanilla-2-lbs.jpg
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51bB1WhaxJL.jpg

B-Low
02-22-2011, 09:52 PM
I really don't think the brand makes THAT big of a difference.

Same. And if there IS a difference I really don't think the gap in effectiveness is as big as the gap in price. For ex. i don't think a $60 tub works better enough than a $20 tub to justify the price jump (unless it's a difference in the amount you get)

My $15-20 ones have been working just fine for the last few years

B-Low
02-22-2011, 09:57 PM
lol blah! fine the tubtainer

dkmwise
02-22-2011, 10:12 PM
Now that everyone has made their input on protein, what are people's thoughts on creatine supplaments?

B-Low
02-22-2011, 10:13 PM
I took creatine pills for 3 months a while back and saw literally no difference so i stopped

chazzy
02-22-2011, 10:21 PM
Used creatine last summer and got a lot more mass. Way stronger too.. hit new maxes for all my lifts. You lose some of it once you stop, and you shouldn't use it for more than 3 months at a time. Gotta drink a LOT of water.

dkmwise
02-22-2011, 10:22 PM
Used creatine last summer and got a lot more mass. Way stronger too.. hit new maxes for all my lifts. You lose some of it once you stop, and you shouldn't use it for more than 3 months at a time. Gotta drink a LOT of water.

Thats what I hear, how much do you lose when you stop?

B-Low
02-22-2011, 10:24 PM

did you use pills or powder?

JEFFERSON MONEY
03-01-2011, 09:01 PM
Should you drink protein shakes everyday or just on the days that you are working out?

Ehh you aim for 1 - 1.5 g protein every day to aid in growth and recovery for your off days. So yeah go ahead and take a shake. If you can get it through solid food (slower to digest) then I'd recommend that.

I usually skipped out on that and grew slower than my friends despite making rapid strength/explosive gains.

Look into Carb Cycling, btw. I'm sure it'll help ya.

B-Low
03-01-2011, 09:09 PM
Should you drink protein shakes everyday or just on the days that you are working out?

I just drink them on workout days, usually about 4-5 a week

B-Low
03-01-2011, 09:46 PM
just post

3ptShooter
03-01-2011, 10:26 PM
Now that everyone has made their input on protein, what are people's thoughts on creatine supplaments?

imho - don't take it. work hard and give your body what it needs. you'll be fine. let your body produce it naturally. don't fake it and then risk imbalance later.

LA_Showtime
03-01-2011, 10:29 PM
Ehh you aim for 1 - 1.5 g protein every day to aid in growth and recovery for your off days. So yeah go ahead and take a shake. If you can get it through solid food (slower to digest) then I'd recommend that.

I usually skipped out on that and grew slower than my friends despite making rapid strength/explosive gains.

Look into Carb Cycling, btw. I'm sure it'll help ya.

I tried low carbing for a week and I felt like absolute shit. I had no energy to run. I lost like 5 pounds of water weight, though. You definitely feel thinner, so I can see why people who are just starting out would like it.

Anybody got a low-carb protein shake that's any good?

GiveItToBurrito
03-01-2011, 10:59 PM
I just use the Six Star whey protein stuff at Wal Mart. Been using it for a couple years and it works just fine IMO. Plus it's only $17 per tub (or jar? let's just say container).

I used to use that, too, and always got good results. Fact is, whey protein is whey protein, there isn't a huge difference between brands. I personally use Syntha 6's whey now, not so much because of it's quality or price but just because it tastes incredibly good.

GiveItToBurrito
03-01-2011, 11:02 PM

It's good stuff so long as you don't have any kidney problems. Just make sure that you cycle it properly and load the right way - you need to take it three times a day for a week before it's really in you. It'll make you bloat up a little bit, too, so I'd avoid it if you're about to go to the beach and are trying to look cut. It's good if you're really serious about working out, though, although I wouldn't waste my time and money if you're only going to be working out two or three times a week.

dkmwise
03-02-2011, 01:56 AM
imho - don't take it. work hard and give your body what it needs. you'll be fine. let your body produce it naturally. don't fake it and then risk imbalance later.
Thanks for the input

dkmwise
03-02-2011, 01:59 AM
It's good stuff so long as you don't have any kidney problems. Just make sure that you cycle it properly and load the right way - you need to take it three times a day for a week before it's really in you. It'll make you bloat up a little bit, too, so I'd avoid it if you're about to go to the beach and are trying to look cut. It's good if you're really serious about working out, though, although I wouldn't waste my time and money if you're only going to be working out two or three times a week.

Thanks man, haven't decided on taking it yet. Right now just having about 2-3 protein shakes a day and taking some extra glutamine nad it's working well. i'm doing very hard workouts 6 days a week. I know it's to much with not enough rest but the stuff is helping my recovery so much i fell great and just get addicted to hitting the gym.

Anyone have advice on if you still need to take rest if your body is feeling great?

QUIZZLE
03-02-2011, 02:04 AM
Idk if anyone addressed this or not pal but try not to order from GNC. Their prices are pretty outrageous and even the whole gold card concept is a hoax.

Buy from bodybuilding.com, tfsupplements.com, and check Wheycheap.com

Wheycheap has some awesome deals that last only a day but protein powder only comes on about once a week.

Personally, I've tried a lot. I like to stick with chocolate but sometimes I'll get mint chocolate, mint chocolate syntha 6 and muscle milk is so tasty.

Take whey when you wake up and after your workout and casein protein like a syntha 6 if you can afford it before bed.

Best of luck.

dkmwise
03-02-2011, 02:36 AM
Idk if anyone addressed this or not pal but try not to order from GNC. Their prices are pretty outrageous and even the whole gold card concept is a hoax.

Wheycheap has some awesome deals that last only a day but protein powder only comes on about once a week.

Personally, I've tried a lot. I like to stick with chocolate but sometimes I'll get mint chocolate, mint chocolate syntha 6 and muscle milk is so tasty.

Take whey when you wake up and after your workout and casein protein like a syntha 6 if you can afford it before bed.

Best of luck.

I actually just got some Syntha 6 from Amazon, it was about half the price it was at GNC.

mrpuente
03-02-2011, 09:57 AM

Best of luck.
dont you just make up for the cost in shipping and handling.

anyways ive been using syntha 6 for awhile, anything with glutamine for recovery not really been tryin to bulk.

QUIZZLE
03-02-2011, 11:35 AM
dont you just make up for the cost in shipping and handling.

anyways ive been using syntha 6 for awhile, anything with glutamine for recovery not really been tryin to bulk.

Shipping on all those sites are no more than six dollars usually and still save me decent money when I buy supplements.

QUIZZLE
03-02-2011, 11:41 AM
I actually just got some Syntha 6 from Amazon, it was about half the price it was at GNC.

Exactly. You'll like it. What flavor did you get?

Whiteness
03-02-2011, 11:54 AM
allmax isoflex (pure isolate that doesn't taste like complete garbage)
xf up 2.0 (casein blend w/ the best flavoring)
myofusion (cross flow cold infused whey protein concentrate, mixes thick)
dymatize iso-100 (pure isolate that doesn't taste like complete garbage)

you have no valid published medical research to back this up as there isn't any and I would venture to say that the research you have done amounts to broscience at best

5g a day is all you need to maintain saturation levels and this has been proven time and time again

dkmwise
03-02-2011, 12:06 PM
Exactly. You'll like it. What flavor did you get?

Vanilla Ice Cream

I find the vanilla to be the most versitile flavor

sh0wtime
03-02-2011, 12:07 PM
Anything that says "Whey 100%", thats with a big gap the best protein for burning fat and building muscle at the same time. Then its just strive for good and correct exercise for what you want to achieve, nutrition and rest. Safe, efficient and guaranteed results, any other supplement i think is just really unnecessary based on my results (if you have good nutrition), unless you want steroids. :P

If the nutrition isnt enough, then these are your best friends:

Whey 100%
Creatine
Caseine
Multivitamin/Multiminerals
Omega 3
Glutamine

Even with the perfect nutrition its not bad you intake these things occasionally, but Whey 100% is an absolute must unless you eat like King Kong to have the required amount of proteins per day for your body to gain muscle the most efficient way.

Whiteness
03-02-2011, 12:21 PM
Whey 100%
Creatine
Caseine
Multivitamin/Multiminerals
Omega 3
Glutamine

Not bad

curious as to your explanations for excess* glutamine supplementation

ITT: I call out supplement myths

b4ball
03-02-2011, 12:29 PM
I turn 50 this year and started working out with weights for the first time ever. I run for the most part and play several sports including baseball, basketball and tennis. After working out for several months I tried using the whey protein my son had been. The biggest diference I noticed is the recovery is so much faster, not just after weights, but after running as well. The next thing I noticed is the "want to train", simply to make use of the protein supplement I think.

End result thus far is a noticable diference. And I really believe the whey protein helps me more for recovery then for what I think it's done for me as far as bulking up, though I have, but that's expected from working out.

I have been using the supplement (six star from Wall Mart) for only about 4 weeks now and I will continue to use it because I have not read anything that says it's bad for you or hard on any particular organs. I like the results, and so does my wife.

sh0wtime
03-02-2011, 12:47 PM
Not bad

curious as to your explanations for excess* glutamine supplementation

ITT: I call out supplement myths

Excessive glutamine supplementation has numerous times been scientifically proven to be rather bad for your health, for those who already have health problems then even short term glutamine supplementation has been proven to have bad effects on your health. Even high dosage or excessive long term Whey 100% or Creatine or any other protein supplements can be bad for you (but not even close to the degree of excessive Glutamine ofcourse, so dont worry about it).

Glutamines effect is very good and powerful, use it only short-term and when you use it then make sure you take advantage of it fast in the gym and then bail out.

Heck, if you want to know whats best for your health then its best to stay away from any kindof supplementation and stick to mother nature, the natural way with correct natural nutrition and correct amount of nutrition per day. Which is easier said than done! :P

Whiteness
03-02-2011, 12:53 PM
Excessive glutamine supplementation has numerous times been scientifically proven to be rather bad for your health

has it?

when I said excess, I meant more than you normally produce/acquire through your diet.

do you know what a nonessential amino acid is? or even for argument's sake a conditionally-essential amino acid? do you understand under what conditions glutamine supplementation would be beneficial?

sh0wtime
03-02-2011, 01:09 PM
has it?

when I said excess, I meant more than you normally produce/acquire through your diet.

Yes, but only if you take or "produce" to much ofcourse.
In a normal man Glutamine is pretty much harmless with short term or normal dosage as Glutamine actually naturally exists in your body anyways, dont worry and dont be fooled, because Glutamine has major benefits! I say go for it, just dont exaggarate, heck even apples can kill you if you exaggarate. :D

do you know what a nonessential amino acid is? or even for argument's sake a conditionally-essential amino acid? do you understand under what conditions glutamine supplementation would be beneficial?

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2004/05/01/glutamine.aspx

http://www.thewayup.com/newsletters/041501.htm

Everything you seek is probaby not there, but some more google research usually can help, cheers. :)

Whiteness
03-02-2011, 01:19 PM
Yes, but only if you take it to much ofcourse.
In a normal man Glutamine is pretty much harmless with short term or normal dosage as Glutamine actually naturally exists in your body anyways, dont worry and dont be fooled, because Glutamine has major benefits! I say go for it, just dont exaggarate, heck even apples can kill you if you exaggarate. :D

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2004/05/01/glutamine.aspx

http://www.thewayup.com/newsletters/041501.htm

both of the links you provided cite no medical research and rely solely on the comments of physicians based on general practice for unhealthy individuals and I would not be surprised if some of the ads on their website led you to places to buy glutamine supplements

the reality is that glutamine supplementation is ineffective in healthy adults

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17111006

Addition of glutamine to essential amino acids and carbohydrate does not enhance anabolism in young human males following exercise.

Wilkinson SB, Kim PL, Armstrong D, Phillips SM.

Exercise Metabolism Research Group, Department of Kinesiology, McMaster University, 1280 Main St. West, Hamilton, ON L8S 4K1, Canada.

We examined the effect of a post-exercise oral carbohydrate (CHO, 1 g.kg(-1).h(-1)) and essential amino acid (EAA, 9.25 g) solution containing glutamine (0.3 g/kg BW; GLN trial) versus an isoenergetic CHO-EAA solution without glutamine (control, CON trial) on muscle glycogen resynthesis and whole-body protein turnover following 90 min of cycling at 65% VO2 peak. Over the course of 3 h of recovery, muscle biopsies were taken to measure glycogen resynthesis and mixed muscle protein synthesis (MPS), by incorporation of [ring-2H5] phenylalanine. Infusion of [1-13C] leucine was used to measure whole-body protein turnover. Exercise resulted in a significant decrease in muscle glycogen (p < 0.05) with similar declines in each trial. Glycogen resynthesis following 3 h of recovery indicated no difference in total accumulation or rate of repletion. Leucine oxidation increased 2.5 fold (p < 0.05) during exercise, returned to resting levels immediately post-exercise,and was again elevated at 3 h post-exercise (p < 0.05). Leucine flux, an index of whole-body protein breakdown rate, was reduced during exercise, but increased to resting levels immediately post-exercise, and was further increased at 3 h post-exercise (p < 0.05), but only during the CON trial. Exercise resulted in a marked suppression of whole-body protein synthesis (50% of rest; p < 0.05), which was restored post-exercise; however, the addition of glutamine did not affect whole-body protein synthesis post-exercise. The rate of MPS was not different between trials. The addition of glutamine to a CHO + EAA beverage had no effect on post-exercise muscle glycogen resynthesis or muscle protein synthesis, but may suppress a rise in whole-body proteolysis during the later stages of recovery.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11822473

Effect of glutamine supplementation combined with resistance training in young adults.

Candow DG, Chilibeck PD, Burke DG, Davison KS, Smith-Palmer T.

College of Kinesiology, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, Canada.

The purpose of this study was to assess the effect of oral glutamine supplementation combined with resistance training in young adults. A group of 31 subjects, aged 18-24 years, were randomly allocated to groups (double blind) to receive either glutamine (0.9 g x kg lean tissue mass(-1) x day(-1); n = 17) or a placebo (0.9 g maltodextrin x kg lean tissue mass(-1) x day(-1); n = 14 during 6 weeks of total body resistance training. Exercises were performed for four to five sets of 6-12 repetitions at intensities ranging from 60% to 90% 1 repetition maximum (1 RM). Before and after training, measurements were taken of 1 RM squat and bench press strength, peak knee extension torque (using an isokinetic dynamometer), lean tissue mass (dual energy X-ray absorptiometry) and muscle protein degradation (urinary 3-methylhistidine by high performance liquid chromatography). Repeated measures ANOVA showed that strength, torque, lean tissue mass and 3-methylhistidine increased with training (P < 0.05), with no significant difference between groups. Both groups increased their 1 RM squat by approximately 30% and 1 RM bench press by approximately 14%. The glutamine group showed increases of 6% for knee extension torque, 2% for lean tissue mass and 41% for urinary levels of 3-methylhistidine. The placebo group increased knee extension torque by 5%, lean tissue mass by 1.7% and 3-methylhistidine by 56%. We conclude that glutamine supplementation during resistance training has no significant effect on muscle performance, body composition or muscle protein degradation in young healthy adults.

there is still hope for placebo affect, but I think I'll spend my money on food rather than hope

sh0wtime
03-02-2011, 01:33 PM
there is still hope for placebo affect, but I think I'll spend my money on food rather than hope

Quote of the day! :D
But once again its easier said than done considering the requirements for what you are striving for with your workout, Whey 100% is simply the supplement that will help you the most, you need at least somewhere around one gram of protein per one kilogram (0.4 per pound) of body weight, so its kindof brutal trying to live without protein supplement if you want to gain muscle and do that fast, even if you manage to digest those proteins thru only food per day you also recieve a ridicilous amount of excessive calories in the process, which is not a good idea if you want to have lean muscle, burn fat... but it sure will give you the muscles, somewhere under that fat. :)

B-Low
03-02-2011, 07:39 PM
most days i do 2 scoops

Skywalker
03-02-2011, 07:47 PM
jus bought some MUSCLE MILK by cytosport

Whiteness
03-22-2011, 11:35 AM
I noticed that the tubtainer that I bought wasn't exactly full, do all the different brands come less than full?

most do as the product is measured by weight

some companies aren't very exact with measurements either

I usually weigh mine if I'm unsure of the company

hateraid
03-22-2011, 11:41 AM
I feel the need to chime in here, nice read.

Brujesino
03-22-2011, 12:05 PM
I feel the need to chime in here, nice read.
:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

netsfan549
03-23-2011, 01:07 PM
Question, while I'm bleding protein, can I add creatine in it? Thanks

Whiteness
03-23-2011, 02:27 PM
Question, while I'm bleding protein, can I add creatine in it? Thanks

what type are you using?

netsfan549
03-23-2011, 02:37 PM
The one from vitamin shoppe 100 pure creatine monohydrate

Whiteness
03-23-2011, 04:10 PM
The one from vitamin shoppe 100 pure creatine monohydrate

yep, that'll do

KB2clutch
03-23-2011, 04:24 PM
ON gold standard is the best with ease, double scoop it after your workout

Whiteness
03-23-2011, 05:22 PM
ON gold standard is the best with ease, double scoop it after your workout

ON gold standard is cheap (possible high ion-exchange isolate) protein with quality taking a backseat to advertising and mass-production... their customer service even sucks these days... dymatize is close enough in price, availability, better taste, and they have decent customer service

inb4 taste is subjective, but srsly compare ON extreme milk choco w/ dymatize iso-100 choco and see which one you can stomach and which one tastes like scientists' diarrhea

it's not my first choice, but in terms of availability it's a better option than ON

netsfan549
03-23-2011, 05:51 PM
So in other words I should take protein and creatine after my workout?

KB2clutch
03-23-2011, 06:12 PM
2 scoops of whey after workout dunno about creatine and casein at night if you have money

BlackWhiteGreen
03-23-2011, 07:14 PM
ON gold standard is cheap (possible high ion-exchange isolate) protein with quality taking a backseat to advertising and mass-production... their customer service even sucks these days... dymatize is close enough in price, availability, better taste, and they have decent customer service

inb4 taste is subjective, but srsly compare ON extreme milk choco w/ dymatize iso-100 choco and see which one you can stomach and which one tastes like scientists' diarrhea

it's not my first choice, but in terms of availability it's a better option than ON

All the chocolate ones I've tried (only 2 or 3 to be fair, and only had a sip as well) were grim. Banana all the way.

Nutrisport is what I use, 2 scoops after a workout with milk.

netsfan549
03-23-2011, 09:02 PM
I have strawberry it is so yummy.. Damm I be taking protein before workout. I will start after workout now thanks

Whiteness
03-23-2011, 09:39 PM
2 scoops of whey after workout dunno about creatine and casein at night if you have money

2 'scoops' is not always necessary (protein requirements generally vary by the person's weight, time of last meal, etc.)

the same is true for casein, depending on your requirements it's most likely not necessary and doesn't justify the price increase

inb4 'mussels catabolize at nite' :rolleyes:

sure, if that's convenient for you

protein is pretty necessary, creatine is whenev

sunsfan1357
03-23-2011, 09:41 PM
I use ProLab N-Large 2 (chocolate).

http://musclesurf.com/nlarge2.html

I'm no expert though.

I think I'm gonna try this out next. Though I do like Dymatize products I feel like changing it up a bit.

Whiteness
03-23-2011, 09:44 PM
I think I'm gonna try this out next. Though I do like Dymatize products I feel like changing it up a bit.

would not recommend

it's just WPC and maltodextrin

you could EASILY make your own for cheaper

whey protein
oats

sunsfan1357
03-23-2011, 09:54 PM
Looks like I might stick with Dymatize then. What sites do you usually get your protein and supplements?

Whiteness
03-23-2011, 10:14 PM
Looks like I might stick with Dymatize then. What sites do you usually get your protein and supplements?
well, If I don't know of any sales/promos beforehand that are site-specific i use bodybuilding.com. it's great for finding/comparing what I want (they have most companies, their layout is easy to navigate, and they give you a decent price to start comparing with)

then once I make a decision on what I'm buying I google shop (srs) and go with a company that I've either used before or know is legit

bodybuilding.com (safe bet 99.9% of the time, prices are starting to get up there tho)
getrippednutrition.com (awesome shipping/promos and the owner is cool)
massnutrition.com (good prices/selection, crappy layout)
a1supplements.com (good prices)

I also work at a supp store so a lot of my purchases come from my store.

netsfan549
03-23-2011, 10:14 PM
What do ya put in the protein?? I really don't like peanut butter

hateraid
03-23-2011, 11:43 PM

Thanks for the plug:cheers:

JtotheIzzo
03-23-2011, 11:45 PM
Thanks for the plug:cheers:

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

holy shit its Hateraid!!!!!!!!!!!

netsfan549
03-24-2011, 08:22 AM
Brocolli? Raw? Lol

Scholar
03-24-2011, 11:01 AM
If you have time to wait, just order some supplements off of websites. They always have the best deals available.
I usually go to a local shop, called the NutriShop. Idk if they're common everywhere, just like GNC is, but unlike GNC, the NutriShop is always willing to haggle down prices with me. Hell, most of the time, there's no need to haggle. They have good prices, while GNC charges a shitload for everything.

NotYetGreat
03-24-2011, 11:47 AM
I actually like ON's French Vanilla Creme. Just got it 3 o 4 weeks ago. It doesn't mix as easily as TwinLab or TapouT, but the vanilla tastes much better for me than TwinLab's. A tad sweet, but then the vanilla flavor brings itself well. Also tastes really good blended with other stuff. I have this recipe for "Banana Bread Shake" [1 scoop vanilla powder, banana, cinnamon, nutmeg, oatmeal, milk - for those interested :D], and it really tastes so much better. "Feel-wise" though, it doesn't feel as different as in the other brands I tried, although since it's the most expensive I've used so far, it just makes it feel marginally better for some reason. :banghead: :oldlol:

And I really think it's cheaper to get them online, here in the Philippines at least. ON already costs P2,500 on average (that's around $60). I found someone online who really gets stock and shizz of ON supplements and he sells 'em for $20 cheaper.

And no offense to Hateraid, but we actually used to use GNC over here, but I never really liked it. The chocolate just tasted funky to me and I really couldn't down it unless I added some peanut butter or something. Well, that was some years ago though. I don't know if you guys changed your formula or whatever now, but yeah, I just always had to add something. Doesn't change the fact that Hateraid's still our number 1 fitness guru here. :oldlol:

Whiteness
03-24-2011, 06:06 PM
And no offense to Hateraid, but we actually used to use GNC over here, but I never really liked it

I don't think he'd mind lol last I knew he rep'd dymatize

just don't hate on them elite gourmet bars, or I may have to come at you and I don't even work for them

NY-Knicks
03-24-2011, 06:11 PM
May I ask you guys, why do you do this?

Draz
06-29-2011, 09:42 PM
What's the best way to gain weight what shake?

daballa13
06-29-2011, 11:33 PM
What's the best way to gain weight what shake?

Umm the best way to gain weight is to eat a lot of food (eat like you've never eaten before) and work out like a champ. All this supplement stuff is bullshit, it does help but people think its some magic that will give them results even if they don't workout. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

baseketball4life
06-30-2011, 12:12 AM
ordered Gold Standard 100% ON Whey Cookies and Cream 5 pounds coming in on tuesday. Going to try it for a little more dough than usual, spent 35 bucks on 6 poundso f Muscle Milk's 100% whey from Costco the past few times lets see if there is any difference.

Balla_Status
06-30-2011, 12:19 AM
Umm the best way to gain weight is to eat a lot of food (eat like you've never eaten before) and work out like a champ. All this supplement stuff is bullshit, it does help but people think its some magic that will give them results even if they don't workout. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Weight Gainer shakes are much easier than eating a shitload. Who has time to cook themselves a 1000-1200 cal breakfast when you can just put some shit in a blender and make a weight gainer shake.

Do that plus eating a lot of regular foods and work out and you'll be fine.

daballa13
06-30-2011, 12:35 AM
Weight Gainer shakes are much easier than eating a shitload. Who has time to cook themselves a 1000-1200 cal breakfast when you can just put some shit in a blender and make a weight gainer shake.

Do that plus eating a lot of regular foods and work out and you'll be fine.

Most weight gainers on the market are loaded with a SHITLOAD of unnecessary sugar and contain lots of trans fats and other bad stuff. People need to stop going by the scale and go by the mirror or the weights they push in the gym. Its funny when people go "OMG so and so gained 30 pounds" but 20 pounds of that is all fat and they look like shit. You should instead eat 5-7 small to medium sized meals a day, 2-2.5 hours apart and make sure to get in enough protein.

I want to make this clear to you guys that are new to working out or want to start. You need to lift and lift heavy to gain muscle. Don't listen to all this high rep shit for hypertrophy. Stick to the basic compounds movements and lift heavy and you will see results fast. Stick to Bench Press, Deadlifts, Squats, Pull-Ups, Overhead Press, Barbell Rows, Dips, etc.

LA_Showtime
06-30-2011, 12:39 AM
Most weight gainers on the market are loaded with a SHITLOAD of unnecessary sugar and contain lots of trans fats and other bad stuff. People need to stop going by the scale and go by the mirror or the weights they push in the gym. Its funny when people go "OMG so and so gained 30 pounds" but 20 pounds of that is all fat and they look like shit. You should instead eat 5-7 small to medium sized meals a day, 2-2.5 hours apart and make sure to get in enough protein.

I want to make this clear to you guys that are new to working out or want to start. You need to lift and lift heavy to gain muscle. Don't listen to all this high rep shit for hypertrophy. Stick to the basic compounds movements and lift heavy and you will see results fast. Stick to Bench Press, Deadlifts, Squats, Pull-Ups, Overhead Press, Barbell Rows, Dips, etc.

It doesn't matter how many meals you eat.

You should get 1g protein for every pound of LBM.

Yes, lift hard. People who lift high reps and low weight aren't doing anything.

Balla_Status
06-30-2011, 12:49 AM
Do crossfit to gain weight.

ihatetimthomas
06-30-2011, 01:14 AM

Thats why they are called supplements. You use them to supplement your workout, diet, etvc. I agree a lot of people take them and expect instant results without putting in the time, but they are really necessary if you are really focused in on putting on clean muscle mass. But as you said, you need to work out like a champ and stick to a solid diet to see results of any type of supplement.

Draz
06-30-2011, 11:50 AM
So is there anything at wallmart that thru have which is sold to help gain weight? I think fortress mas? I need to add this before muscle.

B-Low
11-11-2011, 10:32 PM
bump

http://www.buildingbrawn.com/product_images/Optimum_Nutrition/Pics/246.jpg

upgraded to ON Gold Standard a few months ago. So far I've gone through 2 of the 5 pound tubs and I gotta say I'm liking it a lot better than the Wal Mart kind. I started with the French Vanilla Creme flavor which was good. After that tub I went to Vanilla Ice Cream which was HORRIBLE...honestly one of the nastiest things I've ever tasted. I ended up returning that kind and getting Chocolate Malt which I love.

Since I started mixing some tasteless Creatine with 2 scoops of this and some 2% milk into a 20 oz shake (every night that I work out) I'm up to 203 pounds (5 foot 9) so I've added a decent amount of weight/muscle. Definitely recommend it

Balla_Status
11-11-2011, 10:36 PM
bump

http://www.buildingbrawn.com/product_images/Optimum_Nutrition/Pics/246.jpg

upgraded to ON Gold Standard a few months ago. So far I've gone through 2 of the 5 pound tubs and I gotta say I'm liking it a lot better than the Wal Mart kind. I started with the French Vanilla Creme flavor which was good. After that tub I went to Vanilla Ice Cream which was HORRIBLE...honestly one of the nastiest things I've ever tasted. I ended up returning that kind and getting Chocolate Malt which I love.

Since I started mixing some tasteless Creatine with 2 scoops of this and some 2% milk into a 20 oz shake (every night that I work out) I'm up to 203 pounds (5 foot 9) so I've added a decent amount of weight/muscle. Definitely recommend it

Probably the best powder out there. I don't understand why you're 200 pounds at 5 foot 9. That shit just doesn't look right on people.

B-Low
11-11-2011, 10:44 PM
I honestly don't think i LOOK like i weigh as much as i do

baseketball4life
11-12-2011, 12:43 AM
been taking ON as well for the past 6 months, great results, sticking with it. Just getting done with 5 pounds of Caramel Toffee Fudge, good flavor. Have 5 pounds of Rocky Road on deck. ON is the best stuff IMO.

B-Low
11-12-2011, 12:48 AM
yeah vanilla ice cream is the only flavor of theirs i had that was completely unbearable. I had one cup and i was back at GNC the next day returning it. Thank god they actually let you returned open products cuz that woulda been a loooong 2 months if i had to force 5 pounds of that shit down

NotYetGreat
11-12-2011, 02:55 AM
You should really try the natural line. Have a feeling many people are gonna call bullshit, but I think it's better than the regular stuff they put out with all the artificial sweeteners and stuff. The vanilla doesn't taste as good as the french creme, but the chocolate's better than the double rich chocolate crap. Also feels easier on the stomach for me. I remember there was this one time I bought a new tub of the DRC and I got the atomic runs for like 2 days. =\

baseketball4life
11-12-2011, 04:20 AM
You should really try the natural line. Have a feeling many people are gonna call bullshit, but I think it's better than the regular stuff they put out with all the artificial sweeteners and stuff. The vanilla doesn't taste as good as the french creme, but the chocolate's better than the double rich chocolate crap. Also feels easier on the stomach for me. I remember there was this one time I bought a new tub of the DRC and I got the atomic runs for like 2 days. =\
yeah double rich chocolate is the worst flavor I've had.

Vanilla Ice Creme was meh, 3/5. Double rich chocolate was like a 1/5 horrible. Cookies and Cream was good 4/5. Caramel Toffee Fudge good 4.5/5. Wonder what Rocky Road is like.... I mix them all in water, 1 scoop per 350 ML water, and make sure its cold water. I'm sure they all taste great in milk though.

goldenboy_smith
11-12-2011, 04:26 PM
optimum nutrition all the way, cuz its that Gold WHEY :p

lakerstekkenn
11-12-2011, 05:31 PM
I have been using this METABOLOL since i was 18 it works great gives me energy builds lean muscle or mass and gets me cut without a strict diet i eat what i want i lose weight and its cheap 18 dollars it works try it you can get it at the store GMC and other health food stores hope this helps
I take it before my workout and after then i eat 1 power bar during the day the thigh protein bars

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=ru1&rls=org.*******:en-US:official&channel=s&q=pure+protein+bars&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.,cf.osb&biw=1280&bih=639&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=7057254379129747629&sa=X&ei=muu-ToQlkNiIAtmciYAD&ved=0CIUBEPMCMAQ
METABOLOL 2

MET 2 (Metabolol II) 2.2lb by Champion Nutrition
CHAMPION MET 2 IS THE SOLUTION... for anyone seeking a great tasting, high-energy meal supplement.

Back in 1984, when the original version of METABOLOL was introduced it revolutionized the way that people thought about eating for better physical performance. For the first time, athletes had the chance to use a functional, easily digested food that improved energy, increased stamina, sped up recuperation and allowed athletes to pack on more muscle without gaining fat.

In fact, so remarkable was this product that Dr. Thomas Fahey, one of this country's most respected exercise physiologists, conducted a number of studies based on METABOLOL. His astonishing results confirmed the benefits of METABOLOL. In fact, in one of his studies, Fahey demonstrated that even though they consumed a higher calorie diet than controls, subjects using METABOLOL actually lost fat! That's right, they got leaner while eating more!

Then, in 1988, after years of research, updating and fine tuning METABOLOL II was released. METABOLOL II (a.k.a. MET 2) became an instant hit with its improved flavor, improved nutrient parameters and ease of use. Since then many users, ranging from fitness enthusiasts to elithe class athletes, have come to know the benefits of consuming Champion Met 2.

The Metabolic Optimizer
Champion Met 2 is ideal for anyone looking to improve their nutritional status while increasing their energy levels. Developed by fitness enthusiast and CHAMPION NUTRITION founder Michael Zumpano, Champion Met 2 delivers a nutritionally balanced meal formula designed to assist your metabolism.

Perfect for Anyone!
Since its release, many have come to know the benefits of consuming MET 2. From the professional athlete to the fitness enthusiast; from young children to the elderly; from the individual with digestive disorders to those who may be too busy eat three sqare meals a day MET 2 ofers the solution in a highly efficient source of all the nutrients that comprise a balanced meal.

Try Champion Met 2 for yourself and see the kind of difference metabolic optimization can make in your performance. You will notice more energy during your workout, less fatigue when you're done training and better recovery so you can train hard again sooner. Use MET 2 and you'll understand why optimizing your metabolism is crucial to getting the most out of your body.

Try Champion Met 2 and discover how this revolutionary formula provides you longer lasting energy and more intense workouts.

* Lactate and MetaCarb Plus to help you keep liver energy high at times when your body needs maximum performance.
* Succinate ETF to help maximize available energy by reducing fatigue and soreness while sttabilizing blood sugar.
* Medium Chain Triglycerides (MCT's) for quick energy.
* Peptol Per4+ to provide an easy-to-digest protein source which helps speed recovery.
* Branched Chain Amino Acids (BCAA's) and nitrogen-rich peptides to help stimulate protein synthesis, while protecting existing muscle from being used as energy.
* MetaVite's exclusive blend of vitamins, minerals and enzymatic co-factors.

What is MET 2?
MET 2 or METABOLOL II is what we call a "metabolic optimizer designed to fill in the metabolic voids that may occur in an individuals diet. For this reason it contains a generous amount of protein, carbohydrate and fat in combination with a wide array of essential micronutrients to promote improved health.

When should I use it?
MET 2 is very versatile. Technically it is a meal replacement, because it delivers a complete array of nutrients. You can use it for breakfast, as a mid-morning or mid-afternoon meal and post-exercise. Use a serving within 30 minutes after weight training, to take full advantage of your body's potential for glycogen replenishment and nutrient absorption.

http://www.advantagesupplements.com/chnumet2mii2.html

http://www.fitflex.com/champion_metabol_2_review.html
Customer Reviews Metabolo 2

Overall rating: 5 out of 5

" ... If you're going to go with bol, which I suggest cause it's great, get the Orange Smoothie flavor! "

March 10, 2007 [ Henry ]
Overall rating: 4 out of 5

" ... Very good.. I have it twice a day sometimes every three when I don't get a chance to eat properly. The taste is what hooks me.. very delicous. "

February 22, 2007
Overall rating: 5 out of 5

" ... Good unknown supplement we have here. It's nice to find the needle in a haystack sometimes, bol 2 is such a needle. I use it twice a day for 7 weeks now and I am very impressed with my new muscles. I am showing more definition as well in my stomach. "

baseketball4life
06-30-2012, 03:35 AM
Is it cheaper to buy online? What are some good places online to buy from?
I now buy mine from Costco, Cytosport 100% Whey protein comes in a bag of 6 pounds for 39.99$ solid deal. I go through it fast.

Cali Syndicate
06-30-2012, 05:18 AM
Read through this and surprised no one mentioned EAS Myoplex. I've used ON and liked it a bunch then they raised their prices and I never really went back. Took Muscle Milk too but stopped cause too many calories.

With the Myoplex I was buying the pre-made shakes rather than the powder. The rich or double chocolate tasted the best IMO. Bought it during GNC's Gold member discount weekends (or whatever they were called) and it actually wasn't that expensive. Came out to just a tad over $2 per shake (42 grams).

NotYetGreat
06-30-2012, 06:43 AM
I've been off whey for a month now, and honestly feel like I made better gains strength and composition-wise without it than I did with it. However, I WILL recommend:

http://wheypowderprotein.com/images/products/dymatize-elite-whey.jpg

Tried a 5 lb tub on the recommendation of hateraid and it's the best powder I've tried EVER. Scrap what I said about ON now on the last page. :oldlol: The taste that it brings is 10 times better and I didn't have any stomach problems at all on these. It IS a bit on the sweet side (talking about their vanilla flavor) but upon hateraid's word, they use stevia and none of that artificial sugar crap, which, if true, is a HUGE plus. Also cheaper than ON and other brands.

jbot
06-30-2012, 07:01 AM
what would u guys recommend (if u do) for a still growing 14 yr old? my oldest son will be playing high school basketball this year and i've got him working out and contemplated buying him a protein powder.

NotYetGreat
06-30-2012, 07:40 AM
what would u guys recommend (if u do) for a still growing 14 yr old? my oldest son will be playing high school basketball this year and i've got him working out and contemplated buying him a protein powder.

I honestly think you should spend that money on good meats, fruits, and vegetables instead. Lay down a GOOD foundation first. He'll make GREAT gains with that, no doubt. Only when you *feel* like he needs an extra ration of protein should you finally opt to buy him a protein powder.

Deadpool
06-30-2012, 08:38 AM
I started using Force Factor pre-workout and was thinking about getting the protein shake from them as well. It's very good I was wondering why so many people give it negative reviews.:confusedshrug:

Go Getter
06-30-2012, 09:48 AM
**** that garbage my uncles were bodybuilders back in the day and they recommend chicken breast, green leafy veggies, a lot of water, and a multi vitamin.

Bosnian Sajo
06-30-2012, 11:19 AM
http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/00/07/43/12/44/0007431244315_180X180.jpg

I use this, 15 bucks at walmart, and works great. Im definitely happy with it.

baseketball4life
06-30-2012, 04:42 PM
http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/00/07/43/12/44/0007431244315_180X180.jpg

I use this, 15 bucks at walmart, and works great. Im definitely happy with it.
Yeah good deal from what I've heard. Never used it but my friends and brother have for a few years.

stylesp
06-30-2012, 07:23 PM
If you go on Amazon and purchase Muscle Pharm Combat Powder, you will not be disappointed. Great value in a four pound container for $40.

talkingconch
06-30-2012, 07:48 PM
Optimum nutrition

BuGzBuNNy
06-30-2012, 08:38 PM
When are you supposed to drink protein shakes? Before, after, during workout?

VishaltotheG
06-30-2012, 09:39 PM
I heard Syntha-6 is pretty good

LA_Showtime
06-30-2012, 10:13 PM
It doesn't matter what type of protein you take, unless you're looking for the best tasting flavor or lowest/highest calorie drink.

jbot
07-02-2012, 03:23 AM
I honestly think you should spend that money on good meats, fruits, and vegetables instead. Lay down a GOOD foundation first. He'll make GREAT gains with that, no doubt. Only when you *feel* like he needs an extra ration of protein should you finally opt to buy him a protein powder.
sounds great to me. i wasn't sure if he was too young or not.

B-Low
07-02-2012, 09:54 AM
During

I always do them after. I mix it with milk and having milk sitting out the whole time, then drinking it while you're hot, sweaty and moving around a lot is NOT a good idea based on past experience :oldlol:

Bosnian Sajo
07-02-2012, 10:39 AM
Some people take protein an hour before a workout, and then again 10 minutes after a workout. Me? I just do it 10 minute after.

LBJ 23
07-02-2012, 10:43 AM
Pure Whey Isolate Natural

Free of all sweeteners and shit. Always after workout, sometimes also as a meal during the day in combination with oatmeal or almonds. Depends whether I'm on a definition or mass.