PDA

View Full Version : Rockets trade Shane Battier to Grizzlies

Nets fan 93
02-24-2011, 04:01 PM
WojYahooNBA Adrian Wojnarowski
Houston has traded Shane Battier to Memphis for Thabeet and a first-round pick, source tells Y!

VIA twitter.

Chase Budinger and T-Will will get PT now!

Rose
02-24-2011, 04:02 PM
Good deal for them.

zac
02-24-2011, 04:05 PM
It's a good trade for both teams. It's been talked about for a while. Battier gives Memphis a 3pt shooter and great defender and also a competent SF to fill in for Rudy until he gets back. If the Rockets will work with Thabeet it might pan out.

The reign of Hadaddi is about to begin!

6thManOfTheYear
02-24-2011, 04:09 PM
good trade for us :cheers:

need to get hasheem to workout with hakeem :rockon:

Rose
02-24-2011, 04:10 PM
It's a good trade for both teams. It's been talked about for a while. Battier gives Memphis a 3pt shooter and great defender and also a competent SF to fill in for Rudy until he gets back. If the Rockets will work with Thabeet it might pan out.

The reign of Hadaddi is about to begin!
This.

rosonviyavong
02-24-2011, 05:58 PM
Rockets are just racking in draft picks. Too bad they arent that high though. Phoenix pick is probably gona be 15, Memphis will be a 16, and their own pick will be around 12 to 14. Picks are always good though.

SayTownRy
02-24-2011, 06:09 PM
good trade for us :cheers:

need to get hasheem to workout with hakeem :rockon:

would love for thabeet to get that kind of attention. hakeem or dikembe are about as ideal as it gets to mentor his skillset.

i still think he has significant upside.

mateoboz
02-24-2011, 06:21 PM
Sorry to see Shane go. He's a hell of a player. But he's getting up there in age so I'm not too tore up over it.

ABfor3
02-24-2011, 06:26 PM
Not really liking this from what I've heard about Thabeet. On the bright side TWill and Budinger will get more minutes.

How is a 7 ft 3 center only averaging 2 points???

alenleomessi
02-24-2011, 06:26 PM
How is Hasheem going to get any more playing time with Hayes, Hill and Patterson already on the team ? :confusedshrug:

Xsatyr
02-24-2011, 06:27 PM
Not really liking this from what I've heard about Thabeet. On the bright side TWill and Budinger will get more minutes.

He plays less than 10 minutes, I am not that high on him either. Hopefully I am wrong.

ABfor3
02-24-2011, 06:37 PM
He plays less than 10 minutes, I am not that high on him either. Hopefully I am wrong.

Yeah but still he was a defensive monster at UConn. Good thing is that he is still young and can produce. We just need his size for defense and rebounding. Good to have a legit center to add to the roster though.

Ariza4three
02-24-2011, 07:24 PM

:lol Yeah I'm not liking this trade at all. F*cking 7 ft and only averaging 2 points? Wow.

I'm guessing Budinger will now be the starting small forward. God, our defense will be awful. :facepalm

Jasper
02-24-2011, 07:41 PM
Battier I am sure feels like a ping pong ball , but quite frankly the Rockets have little future and it shows.
This is good for Shane , because now he can control his career , after this year his contract is up and he gets to determine if he wants to finish his career with the Grizzlies or swing for the fences and head to a contender for that all important ring on his resume.

I am happy for him. (he's a great player)

Harrison_Barnes
02-24-2011, 08:05 PM
Thabeet has serious potential.. hopefully Houston gives him minutes. I was hoping Raps would have traded for him..

AJ2k8
02-24-2011, 08:41 PM
I like this trade a lot for houston, they have the coaching staff to help a center develop and it shouldn't hurt too much losing battier and ish smith:cheers:

Prodigy
02-24-2011, 08:51 PM
Thabeet has serious potential.. hopefully Houston gives him minutes. I was hoping Raps would have traded for him..

We've had quite enough terrible big men over the years. It's pretty clear by now that Thabeet can only play against players that are 6'8 and 220 lbs.

B-Easy8
02-24-2011, 09:02 PM
From what I have seen on Thabeet, he is good on the defensive end of the ball just gets very, very limited oppurtunities.
Hopefully the rockets get Hakeem in to work with him, I think he can be a Dpoy candidate soon.

Harrison_Barnes
02-24-2011, 09:05 PM
We've had quite enough terrible big men over the years. It's pretty clear by now that Thabeet can only play against players that are 6'8 and 220 lbs.

He never got the chance to play any amount of minutes. Thabeet needs game experience in order to develop.

L.Kizzle
02-24-2011, 09:09 PM
So does Jordan Hill ...

nerds
02-24-2011, 09:41 PM
Nice pick up for the Rockets.

I still argue that Hasheem Thabeet cannot be labelled a bust because he never got a a chance to play!

High draft pick players like Kwame Brown, Michael Olowokandi, Stomile Swift can be labelled busts because during their time they got the minutes, but could never back it up.

Look at Darko, yes he was an enigma for a long time because he never got any minutes, but he is queitly correcting his career because he's been given an opporttunity!

Bring in the Dream or Mutombo, do whatever it takes, because Thabeets time is coming!

Harrison_Barnes
02-25-2011, 12:07 AM
So does Jordan Hill ...

No Hill doesn't. He was given more minutes then Thabeet.. and was not impressive. I still don't know how he was drafted that high..

ronnymac
02-25-2011, 02:18 AM
In the end we gave up rights to rudy gay for thabust?. Pathetic.

wally_world
02-25-2011, 04:45 AM
Griz gunnin' for the playoffs :pimp:

With Rudy out for awhile Battier will come in handy too

JMT
02-25-2011, 12:17 PM
Battier I am sure feels like a ping pong ball , but quite frankly the Rockets have little future and it shows.
This is good for Shane , because now he can control his career , after this year his contract is up and he gets to determine if he wants to finish his career with the Grizzlies or swing for the fences and head to a contender for that all important ring on his resume.

I am happy for him. (he's a great player)

Good post. I was feeling badly for Battier. He's such a great "glue" guy, and does so many things well, that he's always a marketable commodity.

With an expiring deal, I'm glad...if the CBA gets worked out...that he can control his own destiny. It would be great if that happened for a nice guy who has earned it.

Nelson14
02-25-2011, 01:01 PM
i ike shane on a new team but idk about thabeet

gasolina
02-25-2011, 02:49 PM
So what happens to Shane once Rudy comes back?

C - Gasol / Haddadi
PF - Randolph / Arthur
SF - Gay / Young
SG - Battier / Allen / Mayo
PG - Conley / Vasquez / Smith

I hope he could still play the 2 like he did as a rookie. Also this trade left us pretty thin upfront. The Mcroberts trade could've helped. But tha biggest thing I don't like right now is how OJ is gonna react knowing that they almost traded him

Clutch
02-25-2011, 05:01 PM
I hope Thabeet will get some minutes to either prove he is a bust or develop into a good center.

stevieming
02-25-2011, 05:19 PM
man, the rockets suck....I wish we got melo...or deron, then go get another star...

just got a bunch of hardworking players, only kmart can score...

Bandito
02-26-2011, 03:52 PM
So what happens to Shane once Rudy comes back?

C - Gasol / Haddadi
PF - Randolph / Arthur
SF - Gay / Young
SG - Battier / Allen / Mayo
PG - Conley / Vasquez / Smith

I hope he could still play the 2 like he did as a rookie. Also this trade left us pretty thin upfront. The Mcroberts trade could've helped. But tha biggest thing I don't like right now is how OJ is gonna react knowing that they almost traded himI wonder why nobody picked him up. A team like the Bobcats could've use him in the future.

Eat Like A Bosh
02-26-2011, 04:28 PM
Bye Shane :(

On the other hand, if Memphis and LA meet as the 2-7 seed matchups, this should be fun. Gasol vs Gasol, and Battier vs Kobe?

Ariza4three
02-26-2011, 04:43 PM
man, the rockets suck....I wish we got melo...or deron, then go get another star...

just got a bunch of hardworking players, only kmart can score...

Don't forget about Scola. Houston got worse IMO. Houston pretty much decided not go after Melo after they traded for T-Will.