PDA

View Full Version : Suns trade for Aaron Brooks

Anti Hero
02-24-2011, 04:04 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=6155364

The Rockets sent point guard Aaron Brooks (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/3192/aaron-brooks) to Phoenix and forward Shane Battier (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/976/shane-battier) to Memphis in separate deals Thursday that bring guard Goran Dragic (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/3423/goran-dragic) and center Hasheem Thabeet (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/4016/hasheem-thabeet) to Houston, according to a person familiar with the specifics of the trades.The Rockets also get first-round draft picks from both teams and ship rookie guard Ishmael Smith (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=4305) to the Grizzlies.

Reverend Hoops
02-24-2011, 04:05 PM
So Nash on the bench?

Rose
02-24-2011, 04:05 PM
Lots of deals...that aren't making much sense.

Anti Hero
02-24-2011, 04:09 PM
It's for Goran Dragic and a pick, Brooks will likely split minutes w/ Nash to give him rest.

OmniStrife
02-24-2011, 04:11 PM
Good trade for Suns.

I'll take it for Dragic, heck throw VC in there as well :lol

Anti Hero
02-24-2011, 04:13 PM
Good trade for Suns.

I'll take it for Dragic, heck throw VC in there as well :lol

I like it too, legit pg to help Nash. Plus I'm pretty sure Brooks torches the Suns everytime they play

Anti Hero
02-24-2011, 04:18 PM
Suns pick is lottery protected

If Suns don't make playoffs, Suns trade the Orlando Pick to Rockets
If Suns do make playoffs, Rockets get Suns pick

alenleomessi
02-24-2011, 04:19 PM
I like it for Dragic

Pursuer
02-24-2011, 04:21 PM
This is crazy man. Dragic the starting point guard now in Houston, or Lowry?

OmniStrife
02-24-2011, 04:31 PM
I like it for Dragic
True. Finally he'll be released from the GIGANTIC Nash shadow.

OmniStrife
02-24-2011, 05:41 PM
It's official, done deal.

Brooks for Dragic + pick.

http://arizona.sbnation.com/phoenix-suns/2011/2/24/2013149/goran-dragic-traded-to-houston-for-aaron-brooks

gutshot
02-24-2011, 05:54 PM
Another good trade for PHO. This makes them a lot better imo, provided that Brooks will bring his A game. Dragic is talented but unreliable. Brooks is way better than him. HOU would never do such a move unless they did not have huge problems with Brookes

gutshot
02-24-2011, 05:57 PM
Ooops sorry for the DP

Horatio33
02-24-2011, 06:00 PM
So the Suns ARE trading Nashty Nash in the summer?

tmaczdaddy
02-24-2011, 06:02 PM
I also like this for the Suns.

Brooks will thrive in their offense. He'll be a 20ppg/7apg player next year when given the starting job.

ABfor3
02-24-2011, 06:08 PM
Yeah Brooks didn't really get to get back to his former self. Rockets ran out of patience and so did Brooks. He lost his starting minutes to Lowry. I hope this will be a fresh start for AB.

Harrison_Barnes
02-24-2011, 06:12 PM

This is what crossed my mind too. Theres no way they keep both of them for a full season next year. :confusedshrug:

mateoboz
02-24-2011, 06:28 PM
Very, very bummed to see Brooks go. He lost a step after the injury at the start of the year, but I don't see any reason he can't get back to the kind of player he was. Really wish we'd been more patient. Ah well. Hope he starts tearing it up in Phoenix.

Also, we traded Ishmael Smith? Damn it! He can play!

Horde of Temujin
02-24-2011, 06:41 PM
Do the Suns even participate in the draft?

SinJackal
02-24-2011, 06:56 PM
Maybe he'll end up better with Suns. He was sucking this year.

HorryIsMyMVP
02-24-2011, 07:08 PM
And Dragic wasn't sucking? I hate Dragic with a passion this year. One of the worst PG's in the NBA hands down.

Ariza4three
02-24-2011, 07:22 PM
This is crazy man. Dragic the starting point guard now in Houston, or Lowry?

For now I think Lowry will keep the starting spot.

I just skimmed through the thread IMO Aaron Brooks is getting too much love. He's been trash this year. Absolute garbage. I don't know how Dragic's been playing this year so I can't comment on that. But Brooks? He's been a disappointment so far. Warning for Suns fans: This guy has 0 basketball IQ and 0 court vision. Last year he was a deadly shooter and could get to the rim at will. Ever since the injury it seems like he lost a step. If Brooks doesn't hit his jump shots he is useless.

Brooks was NOT willing to come off the bench for Houston so why is he going to change his attitude in Phoenix? He'll come off the bench behind Nash and it's clear that he wants to be a starter. :confusedshrug:

Good luck with Aaron Brooks and I hope he thrives in the Suns offense. Can a Suns fan elaborate a little on Goran Dragic?

Jasper
02-24-2011, 07:48 PM
I liked Dragic , and alittle confused with the move.

Have read into what the Suns might of saw , and my thinking is that Dragic has had some injury issues , and you know the Suns training staff is best in the league , so you have to think they saw something that did not look appealing for the future.

What they got in Brooks ?

A replacement for NASH. He will back NAsh up , but watch this 6' , man that dude has some serious speed.
I am not fond of teams that build around small PG's , but I have to admit , in the league he is the best with height of 6'1" or shorter.
I think the Suns are winners here.

JustinJDW
02-24-2011, 08:38 PM
I like these move for Houston and Phoenix, but I confused about Memphis. They traded the #2 overall pick for Shane Battier mid-season? Talk about giving up on an investment and a complete waste of a pick.

I'm glad Battier isn't in Houston anymore because now he's most likely not going to re-sign with the Rockets this off-season when he's a free agent, and the Spurs can actually pick him up, which has always been a dream of mine. Every Spurs fan knows that Battier has always been the perfect player for our system. And since he played in Houston, its like he's been a tease. Its almost ridiculous. He needs to come over before he retires. Bruce Bowen 2.0.

HorryIsMyMVP
02-24-2011, 08:42 PM
I like these move for Houston and Phoenix, but I confused about Memphis. They traded the #2 overall pick for Shane Battier mid-season? Talk about giving up on an investment and a complete waste of a pick.

I'm glad Battier isn't in Houston anymore because now he's most likely not going to re-sign with the Rockets this off-season when he's a free agent, and the Spurs can actually pick him up, which has always been a dream of mine. Every Spurs fan knows that Battier has always been the perfect player for our system. And since he played in Houston, its like he's been a tease. Its almost ridiculous. He needs to come over before he retires. Bruce Bowen 2.0.
He fits in the Spurs old system but not on this new Spurs team. The Spurs don't have much focus on defense any more. It's just lets hope Tony and Manu shoot better then the other team. And they typically do.

noob cake
02-24-2011, 09:21 PM
This is a good change for Brooks. Brooks might feel bad because Lowry took over his starting job. I think this is heavily impacting his play this year.

He'll rest happy knowing that Nash will start over him no matter what. There is no argument for him starting over Nash.

Run&Gun=Fun
02-24-2011, 09:21 PM
Its ok for the Suns but giving away another pick?
A rebounding Power Forward was there top need but Brooks will play well as a Sun.

Rockets fans, im not sure about Dragic. 1st year in the league was horrendous!He looked like an average local player when he was dribbling it up the court, very timid...Last season he was much better, improved out of sight looked like a starter for many years.

But this season hes been awful again, I havent checked but I guarentee hes top 3 in turnovers per 48min and near last in +/- per 48.The team falls apart when hes on the court.

He travels at least 1 time a game.

wagexslave
02-24-2011, 09:28 PM
Dragic's production relies 100% on his confidence level at any given time.

If he's in a confident mood, he'll completely beast. If he's unconfident like he's been this year pretty much all year... things will get ugly.

wagexslave
02-24-2011, 09:32 PM
And I don't know why the hell we traded for Brooks. We need a power foward or upgrade at center, not a point guard. I thought Dowdell was a good enough backup for Nash. We should've just dealed a combination of Dragic, Lopez, or Childress and went after Perkins...

nashisbest
02-24-2011, 09:51 PM
i am not a big fan of this trade... You can see that dragic is playing nash-style PG and a legit backup for Nash. trading him makes no sense

Battier is a strong defender so at least there is some silver lining to the trade

I would have obviously preferred them giving up VC and Thabeet

Turkododo
02-24-2011, 10:37 PM
nash is gone in the summer. i'm sure of it.

GiveItToBurrito
02-24-2011, 10:40 PM
Have they even watched Aaron Brooks this year? He's really not that good, the draft pick alone should have been enough to get him, especially since it could very well be a lottery pick. Guys like that are nice spark plugs off the bench if you're going to go deep into the playoffs against veteran teams with slow, aging point guards like Fisher, but he's not worth it for a young team, especially one that should in theory be building a defensive identity. Hell, even as an offensive player, he's not that good for them - he's not a distributor, so the shots he takes will be coming from guys like Dudley and Hill who are pretty good shooters. Brooks is also a very poor defender, although that's probably less of an issue now that the West lost two elite point guards in the last two days.

Anti Hero
02-24-2011, 10:57 PM
This draft is gonna be garbage. We have two picks, ours and Orlando's so I don't mind giving one up.

I agree that dragic is all about his confidence levels. I wanted to keep him but I don't mind this trade. Suns need to give Nash his rest or he'll fizzle out. Dragic (and the bench) have been blowing leads, I think and hope that Brooks will cure that. Also I'll be glad that Brooks isn't lighting the Suns up anymore.

If Dragic goes beast mode in Houston then we've lost this trade but I think Suns have the edge in this deal.

Suns still need to address getting another solid big man, they tried for Milsap but failed. I'm kind of glad they did. I like Pietrus.

Nash is gone, that doesn't mean he'll get traded he might just play out next year w/ the Suns. This will be a few years for the Suns to try and rebuild and retool. I'm not for trading Nash unless it's a good deal. None of this nonsense where we get bad players w/ bad contracts.

Brooks can fill the role as our pg if Nash does leave but I hope we get some much much (2 muches) better players. I don't want him to be our best player, we'll be screwed.

Overall good trade for the Suns, I don't have them winning the Championship this year anyway. and I know in 2 years time this will be a completely different team. It's already started. Piet, Gortat and Brooks all brought in this year. In two years Nash and Hill will be gone. Suns need a legit PF.

Funnyfuka
02-24-2011, 11:24 PM
rockets are retarded. Dragic is crap compared to brooks. Another panic trade that doesnt make much sense for one side.

Run&Gun=Fun
02-25-2011, 12:22 AM
I just checked....Dragic leads the league in TO's per 48 minutes.

In +/- He is -211. For a team that is above .500 that is bad, very bad.To put it in comparison Nash is + 262.
He is the worst Sun in that category the next worse is Warrick at -103 more than half of Dragics.

Those are very damning stats, cant blame the Suns for deciding to part ways.

From all reports he has zero leadership...Hence the teams struggles when he is on the court at the point.

Anti Hero
02-25-2011, 01:37 AM
Lon Babby talking about the trade (http://www.nba.com/suns/video/2011/02/24/presserbrooks110224wmv-1570263/index.html)

Walker
02-25-2011, 01:53 AM
WTF

All I can say to the Suns is WTF!

They never even gave Dragic legit minutes. He' showed in the past he can be a very capable PG....

No way in hell is Brooks gonna resign with Phoenix after this season. Hell Phoenix 1. wouldn't even have the cap space barring a house cleaning 2. wouldn't pay what other teams will.

They've just given away a solid young pg and a pick for afew months rental.

Pure stupidity, yet another STUPID trade by Phoenix. I thought things might change with Kerr out of the picture, apparently not.

I hope Dragic torches them every time they play :banghead:

Ariza4three
02-25-2011, 01:55 AM
Well, looks like both Dragic and Brooks were having a shitty season. Lets see how things play out from now on, hopefully this trade works out for both teams.

TinselTime12
02-25-2011, 02:04 AM
I think the Suns made this trade because Brooks is capable of playing the two-guard position. It is not like Brooks is a set up, pass first point guard anyways. He is a scoring guard, very much like what Leandro Barbosa was when he was with Phoenix.

Anti Hero
02-25-2011, 02:09 AM
WTF

All I can say to the Suns is WTF!

They never even gave Dragic legit minutes. He' showed in the past he can be a very capable PG....

No way in hell is Brooks gonna resign with Phoenix after this season. Hell Phoenix 1. wouldn't even have the cap space barring a house cleaning 2. wouldn't pay what other teams will.

They've just given away a solid young pg and a pick for afew months rental.

Pure stupidity, yet another STUPID trade by Phoenix. I thought things might change with Kerr out of the picture, apparently not.

I hope Dragic torches them every time they play :banghead:

AB is a restricted FA, and Vince will be gone next year (buyout or trade) we'll be able to keep him, if they intend to keep him.

I liked GD too, but this isn't a bad deal. Radio (local) today talked about how the team had lost confidence in him not just the gm and head of basketball ops. Nash was getting pissed with the second unit and Goran for giving up leads.

like the link I posted said, it's a good fresh start for both players

OmniStrife
02-25-2011, 04:37 AM
I love Dragic but he is one of the main reasons the Suns are a 10th seed atm...
He single-handedly had blown an astronomical amount of leads.

Pissed Suns fans probably forgot how our best and most stable stretch came when we had a D-League call-up PG coming off the bench.

His play imploded the Suns in so many ways that I couldn't see him getting that confidence back.

I hope he'll be as good as he can in HOU, freed from the shadow of Steve Nash.

ILLsmak
02-25-2011, 07:28 AM
Brooks is a stud and is gonna thrive in Phoenix. I'd love to see he and Stevie out there at the same time.

-Smak

JMT
02-25-2011, 11:50 AM

Nope. Brooks will spell Nash, lengthening his career, which will end in a Suns uniform.

In Brooks they get a guy that has a lot of post-injury upside. If they can't or won't keep both, a healthy, full-speed Brooks, is a very marketable commodity.

Dragic has been awful this season, and the weakest link on a 2nd unit that is really very strong. I haven't seen a bit of improvement in his game; if anything, he's more indecisive and a poorer defender than he was a year ago. In pro sports, that's usually an indicator that it's time for a change of scenery.

Funnyfuka
02-25-2011, 12:02 PM
fact is aaron brook isnt that good, and that dragic is even worse.

idiotic move for both teams.

SCREWstonRockets
02-25-2011, 01:02 PM
Brooks has been pretty bad this year for Houston. Not just his on court play, but he was bitching off the court as well. Cried about not getting an extension and cried about losing his starting job to Lowry. Not a PG, a scoring guard. Probably the opposite of Nash. But maybe a change of scenery is all this kid needs to get back on the right track.

Nelson14
02-25-2011, 01:03 PM
why did t suns make this move neither brooks or nash can play the 2?

Xsatyr
02-25-2011, 01:16 PM
fact is aaron brook isnt that good, and that dragic is even worse.

idiotic move for both teams.

Fact you know nothing about basketball. Aaron Brooks will be a free agent and the Rockets did not want to resign him. So they traded him and got something in return as oppose to nothing.

SCREWstonRockets
02-25-2011, 02:46 PM
why did t suns make this move neither brooks or nash can play the 2?
Nash is more than likely gone next year so you guys traded for your future PG.

Xover
02-25-2011, 03:09 PM
real question is if brooks is happy with this trade ? if he is then he should thrive in phoenix but since he's been shipped off to a team where he has no choice but to play as a backup pg then wouldn't he be pissed off ? given those were the reasons behind his shitty attitude, while also playing bad all season.

Having a player like Brooks (when good) coming off the bench is a great boost for the suns but he might not play the role so enthusiastically as expected from the fans :hammerhead: :confusedshrug:

Xsatyr
02-25-2011, 04:38 PM
real question is if brooks is happy with this trade ? if he is then he should thrive in phoenix but since he's been shipped off to a team where he has no choice but to play as a backup pg then wouldn't he be pissed off ? given those were the reasons behind his shitty attitude, while also playing bad all season.

Having a player like Brooks (when good) coming off the bench is a great boost for the suns but he might not play the role so enthusiastically as expected from the fans :hammerhead: :confusedshrug:

Brooks is not playing bad by choice, this is his contract year...

HorryIsMyMVP
02-25-2011, 10:14 PM
GM Lance Blanks- " I can say this openly and honestly that Goran Dragic is a much better person then he is a basketball player and that is really all that matters. I think we definitely improve in the short term and hopefully in the long run as well."

I lol'd. What a nice way of saying Dragic can't play ball.

Jall
02-25-2011, 10:39 PM
GM Lance Blanks- " I can say this openly and honestly that Goran Dragic is a much better person then he is a basketball player and that is really all that matters. I think we definitely improve in the short term and hopefully in the long run as well."

I lol'd. What a nice way of saying Dragic can't play ball.

That's harsh. :oldlol:

It would be easier to miss Goran if he didn't play like shit this year, but I will always remember him for dropping 23 on the Spurs in the playoffs.

Norcaliblunt
02-26-2011, 02:46 AM
And at the time he was drafted didn't Steve Kerr make the claim that Dragic was the second best PG in the draft. Lol.

blackification
02-26-2011, 02:53 AM
And at the time he was drafted didn't Steve Kerr make the claim that Dragic was the second best PG in the draft. Lol.
and now Steve Kerr is back to discussing basketball instead of making team altering decisions.

Nash-tastic
02-26-2011, 03:14 AM
That's harsh. :oldlol:

It would be easier to miss Goran if he didn't play like shit this year, but I will always remember him for dropping 23 on the Spurs in the playoffs.
All Suns fans will remember that 4th quarter :cheers:

wally_world
02-26-2011, 02:26 PM
Brooks will be very nice if Nash is indeed gone this offseason. While not a top caliber player in this league, he can put up points, and will keep the Suns somewhat respectable going into rebuilding. Wont cost too much to keep either.

Eat Like A Bosh
02-26-2011, 04:03 PM
So they seriously just gonna let Nash rot in Phoenix?

Anti Hero
02-26-2011, 04:29 PM

If we can't get anything good in return, why wouldn't we make him honor his contract? If he wants to go to a contender, who would we get in return from Boston, Miami, NY etc.. I'd much rather see him finish out his last year and the Suns get his cap space when he comes off the books.

Run&Gun=Fun
03-01-2011, 01:17 AM

a) He didnt want to be traded
b) Hes hardly rotting...Having another season statistically better than his MVP's...Suns are on a 16-6 stretch. Not to mention WCF last season.

JMT
03-01-2011, 12:22 PM

Nash has never shown an indication that he has any real interest in being traded. He loves the guys he's playing with now that Stou_emire is gone, he loves PHX, and the franchise will do everything it can to see he finishes his career there.

Maniak
03-02-2011, 08:02 PM
Dragic>Brooks.