PDA

View Full Version : Staples center lighting question

tomtucker
02-27-2011, 04:47 PM
When the Clippers play, the audience section is very bright and lit up, but when the Lakers play, the lights are out, anyone know why that is?
I think it is way better to watch the Lakers play, because when the crowd is in darkness, you focus more on the action on the court, and it gives the arena a much better atmosfere.

bdreason
02-27-2011, 04:49 PM
Jack said he didn't like the bright lights.

FireDavidKahn
02-27-2011, 04:49 PM
Theater lighting:applause: :applause: I love the way the Lakers do it.

Clutch
02-27-2011, 04:51 PM
I like when it's dark.

MSG FTW :bowdown:

UtahJazzFan88
02-27-2011, 04:51 PM
I wish more arenas would do it, I hate seeing the EnergySolutions Arena be so bright.

32jazz
02-27-2011, 05:14 PM
When the Clippers play, the audience section is very bright and lit up, but when the Lakers play, the lights are out, anyone know why that is?
I think it is way better to watch the Lakers play, because when the crowd is in darkness, you focus more on the action on the court, and it gives the arena a much better atmosfere.

Lakers have an agreement with Staples Center that ONLY THEY can dim the lights

NoGunzJustSkillz
02-27-2011, 05:16 PM
Lakers have an agreement with Staples Center that ONLY THEY can dim the lights
y?

sagr32
02-27-2011, 05:18 PM
y?
They Paid to have Those lights set up back in 04/05 I believe

rizzy
02-27-2011, 05:32 PM
do all you just watch LA and NY games?

Almost EVERY arena dims the crowd lights. lol @ MSG + Staples fans thinking they're the only ones to use this concept. The cavaliers for god sakes do this haha

"staples has special lights just for da LakERZ!!@!" hahahha

gts
02-27-2011, 05:54 PM
y?
because it's a lakers thing.. it goes back to the days the lakers played in the forum... that's how the games were lit there too... so the lakers wanted the same thing in staples and they paid to have special lighting set up.. the deal is since the lakers paid for it it's theirs to use alone

flipogb
02-27-2011, 06:12 PM

Almost EVERY arena dims the crowd lights. lol @ MSG + Staples fans thinking they're the only ones to use this concept. The cavaliers for god sakes do this haha

name them, sounds like you are just a Cavs fan whose mad about not being included

flipogb
02-27-2011, 06:13 PM
in HD dim lit arena >all

StateProperty
02-27-2011, 06:16 PM

I'm watching the Sixers/Cavs game in Cleveland right now and they're dimmed...but the "wine" color is dark already on the court so it just looks dumb.

mlh1981
02-27-2011, 06:18 PM

I think you are talking about the pregame introductions, and the OP is talking about the lighting during the game.

crisoner
02-27-2011, 06:22 PM
I like it.....when you see Laker games at Staples it is easier for the eyes.
They started doing this probably 05 right? Had a whole Lights Out campaign about it. Brings it back to the MSG...that's where they got it.

xoneatom
02-27-2011, 06:26 PM
few years ago, they established a "lights out" theme for the exact reason u stated, to focus only on the game/court

t-rex
02-27-2011, 06:31 PM

The lighting is different because that's how the Lakers want it.

A few years ago the Lakers were worried that too much attention was being paid to the "stars" in the stands compared to what was going on on the basketball court. So they dimmed the lights to make it more difficult to see the crowd. I personally don't like it. I like an arena as bright as possible. But that is why there is such a lighting difference between Clippers and Lakers games.

gts
02-27-2011, 06:35 PM
I like when it's dark.

MSG FTW :bowdown:MSG does it because fans demanded it... they were afraid they might be seen on TV supporting such a crappy product...

j/k knicks fans...

Pointguard
02-27-2011, 06:42 PM
MSG does it because fans demanded it... they were afraid they might be seen on TV supporting such a crappy product...

j/k knicks fans...
Better than the product being so bad they dim the lights on the game hoping the crowd will entertain theirselves and shooters will increase their shooting percentage. At least I can make out at a knick game.

tomtucker
02-27-2011, 06:50 PM
Thanks for all the answers..........surprised to learn that the Lakers have an agreement with Staples Center that ONLY THEY can dim the lights...
Every arena should do it, looks good, and it also saves energy.

NoGunzJustSkillz
02-27-2011, 07:27 PM
Thanks for all the answers..........surprised to learn that the Lakers have an agreement with Staples Center that ONLY THEY can dim the lights...
Well if you think about....Donald Sterling not footing half the bill is not very surprising at all.

zac
02-27-2011, 07:32 PM
I think more arena should do it. It looks good and makes it seem like more of a show.

Pursuer
02-27-2011, 07:33 PM
It started in 06/07 season.

Funnyfuka
02-27-2011, 07:38 PM
they should all do it. When there s too much light it seems like it's a circus more than a basketball arena.

Myth
02-27-2011, 07:40 PM
Lakers dim their lights because they are ashamed of their bandwagon fans. :D

no pun intended
02-27-2011, 07:54 PM
It's obviously because the Lakers shoot the lights out.

MK2V1GP
02-27-2011, 08:16 PM
They do it so the lights will only be on the players & celebrities sitting courtside. Screw normal people, they don't deserve to be shown on tv as fans. :lol

sodap
02-27-2011, 08:16 PM
they should all do it. When there s too much light it seems like it's a circus more than a basketball arena.

really? when I was a kid and my mom took me to the circus (that was like 4 or 5 times) it was really dark except for the scenario...

monkeypox
02-27-2011, 08:29 PM

It's not some kind of agreement, doing that type of lighting requires extra lighting rigs. Buss paid for them and Sterling didn't, so Sterling doesn't get to use them.

shadow
02-27-2011, 08:59 PM

Consider that AEG the owner of Staples Center also owns 30% of the Lakers.

JGXEN
02-27-2011, 09:06 PM
TD Garden's always lit up