PDA

View Full Version : Tim Duncan Isn't Better Than Karl Malone

NBASTATMAN
03-06-2011, 07:18 PM
I am just saying.. Karl Malone would have never been manhandled like Duncan today.. Even at 40 yrs of age.. Tim Duncan is a product of playing for a great coach and at a time with few bigs to go against.. There is no reason why Tim should get dominated like he did today.. Dude can't even get a rebound vs Bynum.. And some people think he the 4TH BEST PLAYER OF ALL TIME.. :wtf:

maybe I am just mad I loss money on today's game

Orlando Magic
03-06-2011, 07:19 PM
Yes, yes he is. Karl Malone's defense was never close to prime Tim. Certainly, Tim is not the 4th best player ever. But better than Karl Malone? Is that a joke?

G-Funk
I agree, some would say KG was better, just in a bad situation

ThaSwagg3r
I think it is very clear you didn't watch Tim Duncan in the early decade of the 2000s.

G-Funk
03-06-2011, 07:20 PM
Yes, yes he is. Karl Malone's defense was never close to prime Tim.
good point

ScolaFan
03-06-2011, 07:21 PM
Oh please... just goes to show you don't know what you're talking about... :rolleyes:

talking to the OP.

RajonKGcelts

KG is a more talented player and easily could of won as many rings as Duncan in his situation, maybe more who knows.

and yes im serious

and its a fact.:D

8BeastlyXOIAD
4rings > 0Rings

creepingdeath
03-06-2011, 07:22 PM
Umm.. yes, he is.

LALakerFan4Life
03-06-2011, 07:24 PM
Tim Duncan > Karl Malone

Jacks3
03-06-2011, 07:24 PM
Is anyone else shocked at how badly Duncan has fallen off though? I always thought his game would allow him to be dominant even at age 34,35 ala Malone/Kareem or Jordan. I mean, Kobe has more mileage and yet is far better at this point.

hotsizzle
03-06-2011, 07:25 PM
:oldlol: at Tim being a product of his coach and the time he played in. OP forgot what prime Timmy was like

hotsizzle
03-06-2011, 07:27 PM
Is anyone else shocked at how badly Duncan has fallen off though? I always thought his game would allow him to be dominant even at age 34,35 ala Malone/Kareem or Jordan. I mean, Kobe has more mileage and yet is far better at this point.

Ya that is surprising to me as well. For someone who never relied much on his athleticism, he declined quick. I too always thought he would remain dominant for a longer time.

NBASTATMAN
03-06-2011, 07:28 PM
I think it is very clear you didn't watch Tim Duncan in the early decade of the 2000s.

Tim was great really great up until a knee scope he had in 2000 i believe.. I truly believe he was never the same player again.. Yes I know he won again but he never displayed the game I saw him display in 99..

Bigsmoke
03-06-2011, 07:29 PM
Tim Duncan in the playoffs >>>>

NBASTATMAN
03-06-2011, 07:30 PM
:oldlol: at Tim being a product of his coach and the time he played in. OP forgot what prime Timmy was like

Tim only played well vs soft teams.. Yes they beat the Lakers in 2003 buT it was mostly cuz Roberty Horry shot something like 1-million in the playoffs..

winwin
03-06-2011, 07:31 PM
shitty poster
shitty thread

ThaSwagg3r
Pretty sure the OP never knew what prime Tim was like.

NBASTATMAN
Yes, yes he is. Karl Malone's defense was never close to prime Tim. Certainly, Tim is not the 4th best player ever. But better than Karl Malone? Is that a joke?

Karl's team defense wasn't but Karl was a better one on one defender.. Karl at 40 pretty much shut down DUncan in 04...

MELOgamaniac
03-06-2011, 07:32 PM

Thats how I feel

NBASTATMAN
03-06-2011, 07:32 PM
shitty poster
shitty thread

you a duncan fan.. :lol

72-10
03-06-2011, 07:33 PM
Dude, The Big Fundamental has clearly achieved quite a bit more than The Mailman did.

What does better mean to you? More skilled?

NBASTATMAN
KG is a more talented player and easily could of won as many rings as Duncan in his situation, maybe more who knows.

and yes im serious

and its a fact.:D

i agree..

LastChanceToWin
http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/199806070CHI.html

NBASTATMAN
03-06-2011, 07:34 PM
Dude, The Big Fundamental has clearly achieved quite a bit more than The Mailman did.

What does better mean to you? More skilled?

As a individual player.. Karl was a better scorer, passer and one on one defender.. I will give Tduncan team defense and shot blocker, and rebounder but that is all.. If anything its a close one...

Bigsmoke
03-06-2011, 07:35 PM

lol i remember walking to school talking about that game :oldlol:

NBASTATMAN
03-06-2011, 07:37 PM

Karl Malone scored 22 of his teams 54 pts.. If anything this shows how important he was to his team.. The guy developed an amazing jump shot by the mid 90's.. His one on one defense and passing also got better as he aged.. Tim duncan has been a shell of himself for a couple of years now.. Even in 2007 he had problems with a bs front line of the CAVS..

Round Mound
03-06-2011, 07:38 PM
:facepalm

Anyhow Healthy Barkley > Any Duncan or Malone

tx_dave
03-06-2011, 07:38 PM
Tim is a shell of himself and I would say Malone was better at Duncans age however to say Malone is better than TD overall is a complete and utter joke.

No basketball analyst would ever put malone over TD, what makes you think you have it figured out??

But sigh to timmy's performance today :facepalm

72-10
03-06-2011, 07:40 PM
As a individual player.. Karl was a better scorer, passer and one on one defender.. I will give Tduncan team defense and shot blocker, and rebounder but that is all.. If anything its a close one...

I think Duncan is clearly the better passer than K Malone. Duncan's defense of the paint had much more impact on the outcome of his team's championship runs than anything the Mailman delivered in a similar situation. Not to mention that Malone had John Stockton to pass the ball to him, Duncan is better at creating his own shot. Duncan also hasn't had moments were he choked in the playoffs like Malone does.

72-10
03-06-2011, 07:41 PM
I'd also say that Duncan is clearly the better one on one defender, and the acclamation (All-Defensive) agrees with that.

SCdac
03-06-2011, 07:42 PM
http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/200001100SAS.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWqwvE5KVW8

"He is probably the best player to ever play the position the way he plays it," said Utah coach Jerry Sloan

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/2007-06-06-bonus-duncan_N.htm

Anaximandro1
03-06-2011, 07:47 PM
I am just saying.. Karl Malone would have never been manhandled like Duncan today.. Even at 40 yrs of age.. Tim Duncan is a product of playing for a great coach and at a time with few bigs to go against.. There is no reason why Tim should get dominated like he did today.. Dude can't even get a rebound vs Bynum.. And some people think he the 4TH BEST PLAYER OF ALL TIME.. :wtf:
:roll:

and yes im serious

and its a fact.:D:roll:

NBA Playoff Leaders for Points

1. Michael Jordan 5987

2. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar 5762

3. Shaquille O'Neal 5248

4. Kobe Bryant 5052

5. Karl Malone 4761

6. Jerry West 4457

7. Tim Duncan 3914

NBA Playoff Leaders for Total Rebounds

1. Bill Russell 4104

2. Wilt Chamberlain* 3913

3. Shaquille O'Neal 2508

4. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar 2481

5. Tim Duncan 2114

NBA Career Playoff Leaders for Blocks

1. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar 476

2. Hakeem Olajuwon 472

3. Shaquille O'Neal 459

4. Tim Duncan 438

NBASTATMAN
03-06-2011, 07:49 PM
I'd also say that Duncan is clearly the better one on one defender, and the acclamation (All-Defensive) agrees with that.

One on one no way.. Clearly Tim was a better team defender.. I don't know maybe I just am forgetting how good he was cuz he just scuks now.. He is only 34 and has never had major injuries.. I never saw him take over a series.. One person says he never choked in a big series.. Yet he has played SOME bad series but people have forgotten about them..

All in all I don't think a guy that is supposed to be the best POWER FORWARD ever should ever not be able to hold position on any other player.. No matter how big..

Duncan can't even hold his position vs Bynum.. Wow Imagine what is going to happen to bosh and co.. :oldlol:

NBASTATMAN
03-06-2011, 07:50 PM

NBA Playoff Leaders for Points

NBA Playoff Leaders for Total Rebounds

NBA Career Playoff Leaders for Blocks

Duh he played alot of games.. He should be up there..

SCdac
03-06-2011, 07:51 PM
One on one no way.. Clearly Tim was a better team defender.. I don't know maybe I just am forgetting how good he was cuz he just scuks now.. He is only 34 and has never had major injuries.. I never saw him take over a series.. One person says he never choked in a big series.. Yet he has played SOME bad series but people have forgotten about them..

All in all I don't think a guy that is supposed to be the best POWER FORWARD ever should ever not be able to hold position on any other player.. No matter how big..

Duncan can't even hold his position vs Bynum.. Wow Imagine what is going to happen to bosh and co.. :oldlol:

:roll: :roll: :roll:

get your eyes checked or go ask your dad who Tim Duncan is son

Kevin_Gamble
03-06-2011, 07:53 PM
Early on back in college Duncan had a lot of trouble against physical bangers. NBA afterthoughts like Junior Burroughs and Samaki Walker used to abuse him. I think Pop did a great job shielding that weakness, but maybe either Duncan's gotten to old or Blair can't cover his back quite so well.

dyna
03-06-2011, 07:54 PM

This^

lakerHater
03-06-2011, 07:57 PM
Dunno if youve noticed but, Malone wasnt anything without Stockton spoon feeding him....... 'member when he went to LA!!??!

NBASTATMAN
03-06-2011, 07:57 PM
I think Duncan is clearly the better passer than K Malone. Duncan's defense of the paint had much more impact on the outcome of his team's championship runs than anything the Mailman delivered in a similar situation. Not to mention that Malone had John Stockton to pass the ball to him, Duncan is better at creating his own shot. Duncan also hasn't had moments were he choked in the playoffs like Malone does.

First of all he has had entire series where he didn't play well.. Second his passing is not as good as Mailmans.. I will say that duncan was the better team defender and that itself had alot to do with how good the Spurs defense has been in the past..

NBASTATMAN
03-06-2011, 07:59 PM
Dunno if youve noticed but, Malone wasnt anything without Stockton spoon feeding him....... 'member when he went to LA!!??!

He was great in LA.. He had to accept a lesser role and he did.. He was there best midrange shooter and by far their best passer.. The one player that didn't work so well was payton cuz he and kobe were both on the ball players..

NBASTATMAN
03-06-2011, 08:10 PM

he is the guy that just got his but kicked by Bynum.. Really kicked.. Duncan couldn't even come up with a rebound.. Than couldn't get a shot off on the defense of PAU...

And I watcheD Tim since wake forest and childress..

NBASTATMAN
03-06-2011, 08:15 PM

I WAS WRONG HE TOOK OVER THE NJ finals.. And def the 1999 wcf and finals.. But I have always thought that he was at his best in 99.. Before having his knee scoped.. Afterwards I never saw him have that same ability.. I mean he was never athletic but maybe he loss something after that knee injury that kept him out of the 2000 playoffs.. And yes he was a great player in his prime but he has gone downhill so fast without any true big injuries.. Considering he was never athletic I figured he would stay great with his skill.. BUt it has not been the case.. He can't even rebound the ball vs other bigs.. Maybe it was just today.. Hope I am wrong about him.. And he brings it.. Cuz I lost alot of money today.. :wtf:

Harison
03-06-2011, 08:17 PM
Duncan is better than Malone, simply because two-way dominance is better than one-way dominance. Granted offensively Mailman was better than TD, but it doesnt offset difference in the other end, and if we add accolades, its obvious who is ranked higher All-time.

ballerz
03-06-2011, 08:21 PM
four rings beg to differ

NBASTATMAN
03-06-2011, 08:25 PM
Duncan is better than Malone, simply because two-way dominance is better than one-way dominance. Granted offensively Mailman was better than TD, but it doesnt offset difference in the other end, and if we add accolades, its obvious who is ranked higher All-time.

the mailman also made some all defensive teams.. At this point in Mailmans career he was still the second or third best player in the game.. Duncan is just a bit better than BOSH:lol

Harison
03-06-2011, 08:27 PM
Is anyone else shocked at how badly Duncan has fallen off though?
I also dont understand why Duncan so quickly declining. He isnt very old, hadnt major injuries recently, yet he is fading in front of our eyes :( And not just his defense (barely solid), but scoring on lower efficiency, and in the clutch its even worse. I noticed this last playoffs, TD had worse than Rondo FT% :wtf:, and this carried to this season crunch time, maybe something really bothering him, I simply cant explain it.

HorryIsMyMVP
03-06-2011, 08:27 PM
Steve Nash ages like wine. Duncan ages like beer sitting in the sun.

IGOTGAME
03-06-2011, 08:30 PM
http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/200001100SAS.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWqwvE5KVW8

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/2007-06-06-bonus-duncan_N.htm

uh...Jerry Sloan pretty much called him a Center.

I still don't see how Duncan is considered a power forward.

Jacks3
03-06-2011, 08:35 PM
I also dont understand why Duncan so quickly declining. He isnt very old, hadnt major injuries recently, yet he is fading in front of our eyes :( And not just his defense (barely solid), but scoring on lower efficiency, and in the clutch its even worse. I noticed this last playoffs, TD had worse than Rondo FT% :wtf:, and this carried to this season crunch time, maybe something really bothering him, I simply cant explain it.
Yeah, it's pretty shocking. I guess he relied on his athleticism more than we thought.

NBASTATMAN
03-06-2011, 08:38 PM
four rings beg to differ

Duncan has played with more talent and he has never beat MJ.. Duncan has lost to Dirk.. Dirk outplayed him in that series too.. Come on.. And Karl Malone pretty much shut him down after game 1 of the 2004 wcf ... PEOPLE ACT LIKE THIS ISN'T A DISCUSSION.. Now Tim may have been a better player in his peak but not by much and his career will not endure nearly as long as Karl's... Who was killing the NBA up until 38

OK I am all for giving Duncan his due but I am sure he is not the 4th best player of all time.. :lol

NBASTATMAN
03-06-2011, 08:40 PM
uh...Jerry Sloan pretty much called him a Center.

I still don't see how Duncan is considered a power forward.

They only called him a power forward so that he could be considered one of the best two pf's ever.. Yet Kg has been as good in my opinion and is now a better player and much better defender than Tim is..

solar.hands
03-06-2011, 08:42 PM
the mailman also made some all defensive teams.. At this point in Mailmans career he was still the second or third best player in the game.. Duncan is just a bit better than BOSH:lol

what's a BOSH? Isn't that a soft thing cuddled by infants? Nobody here will ever think a BOSH is better than timmy even if they're a mia fan. Unless he's a ******* like you

KenneBell
03-06-2011, 08:45 PM
Yeah, it's pretty shocking. I guess he relied on his athleticism more than we thought.
No he didn't. His knees have been disintegrating since about '08. That's why he keeps losing more and more weight, to keep pressure off of his knees.

He's got rubber legs. Looks like Hakeem and Ewing towards the end of their careers.

It has nothing to with his work ethic. It's probably just genetics. Kobe will look a lot different at 34 as well.

rmt
03-06-2011, 08:50 PM
This board is so reactionary. Last Friday night, Spurs were the greatest thing since sliced bread. Today, Tim Duncan isn't better than Karl Malone.

4 rings says differently, and he didn't have the all-time assist leader passing to him for 18 years - got them all on his own.

Jacks3
03-06-2011, 08:56 PM
No he didn't. His knees have been disintegrating since about '08. That's why he keeps losing more and more weight, to keep pressure off of his knees.

He's got rubber legs. Looks like Hakeem and Ewing towards the end of their careers.

It has nothing to with his work ethic. It's probably just genetics. Kobe will look a lot different at 34 as well.
I see. Didn't know about his knees.

che guevara
03-06-2011, 09:00 PM
Kblaze hasn't come in here yet?

NBASTATMAN
03-06-2011, 09:02 PM
Steve Nash ages like wine. Duncan ages like beer sitting in the sun.:lol

He doesn't have that 7FTER next to him to make it easier on him.. The times they won they had two seven footers down low..

amfirst
03-06-2011, 09:04 PM
Tim Duncan is better than Malone. If you watch him in his prime u would know, he is unstopable. Dude is just old now.

It was basically Duncan vs Kobe + Shaq. Manu and Parker sucked back then.

NBASTATMAN
03-06-2011, 09:05 PM
what's a BOSH? Isn't that a soft thing cuddled by infants? Nobody here will ever think a BOSH is better than timmy even if they're a mia fan. Unless he's a ******* like you

Darn it can you read? I wrote that Tim was still better than Bosh.. The reading ability of most of this board is malo.. Some espanol for ya, just in case you don't speakita english..

NBASTATMAN
03-06-2011, 09:06 PM
Tim Duncan is better than Malone. If you watch him in his prime u would know, he is unstopable. Dude is just old now.

It was basically Duncan vs Kobe + Shaq. Manu and Parker sucked back then.

Ok.. :lol

Duncan may have been the better peak player but not by much and at this point in there careers THE MAILMAN WAS FAR SUPERIOR..

LA_Showtime
03-06-2011, 09:55 PM
Wow. This thread is ban worthy.

M.Bustly15A5RU8
03-06-2011, 09:58 PM
Kevin Garnett > Tim Duncan

MAC system
03-06-2011, 10:15 PM
Duncan is probably the best player since MJ retired....get real man.

Noyze
03-06-2011, 10:18 PM
Hardcore Karl Malone fans love to make the "he played in Jordan's Era" excuse as the sole reason why he never got a ring. Do your research son.

Round Mound
03-06-2011, 11:56 PM
Hardcore Karl Malone fans love to make the "he played in Jordan's Era" excuse as the sole reason why he never got a ring. Do your research son.

Also Malone relied alot in the strategy of the Sloan-Stockton elaboration type.

He was never the "pure scorer" he is named to be.."he just shot more than the usual" and in the play-offs where the defenses tighten he shot 46%.

Barkley dominated the mid range and post game with a 58% 2-Point FG Season Career and 55% for his play-off career. He also recieved way more double teaming. Was a Bettter Rebounder, Creator, Passer, Post Player, Stealer and Shot Blocker than Karl: talking about 1985-95 Barkley before injuries ofcourse.

az00m
03-06-2011, 11:59 PM
Tim
Malone
Barkley/KG

Round Mound
03-07-2011, 12:07 AM
Tim
Malone
Barkley/KG

Barkley > Malone

Already prooven statistic wise and head to head before injuries.

vert48
03-07-2011, 12:09 AM
Why is the OP comparing a Center to a Power Forward? Duncan is better, but no where near the GOAT Center.

Alhazred
03-07-2011, 12:22 AM
I know rings aren't always the deciding factor when comparing players, but come on, Duncan has four rings while Malone gained a reputation for not showing up for the playoffs. Timmy is better and it's fairly noticeable, no offense to Malone.

jlauber
03-07-2011, 12:34 AM
I know rings aren't always the deciding factor when comparing players, but come on, Duncan has four rings while Malone gained a reputation for not showing up for the playoffs. Timmy is better and it's fairly noticeable, no offense to Malone.

Pretty much this. I am amazed that this was even brought up. Duncan is a sure-fire lock for a top-10 ranking, and if he steps up in the post-season, as I suspect he will, and he leads the Spurs to yet another ring, I would say that he would be around the 6th greatest player in NBA history.

solar.hands
03-07-2011, 12:35 AM
Darn it can you read? I wrote that Tim was still better than Bosh.. The reading ability of most of this board is malo.. Some espanol for ya, just in case you don't speakita english..

yeah my bad, but you said duncan was a 'bit' better than bosh, and clearly thats stupid, and your still a **** for saying that. And lol at you using spanish with google's help, this one's for you

.!.

Round Mound
03-07-2011, 01:26 AM
If it was a run and gun team. I`d pick Malone over Duncan but in a team that plays basically a great half court game, i`d go with Duncan

davidenk0
03-07-2011, 01:33 AM
Kevin Garnett > Tim Duncan
Agree

OldSchoolBBall
03-07-2011, 01:45 AM
Malone (post-'94) was CLEARLY a better passer and post-defender than Duncan, and probably a better scorer in general. That said, Duncan is the far better team/help defender (which is more important to a team) and better post scorer, which means he could anchor a team's offense better. Combine that with better playoff performance (he didn't shrink in big moments like Malone sometimes did) and he's pretty clearly the better player. Not sure if anyone would take Malone over TD to start a team.

Scoooter
03-07-2011, 01:46 AM
The Mad Arab!

Showtime
03-07-2011, 01:51 AM
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p142/gold_leader64/Basketball/celebration16.jpg

MiseryCityTexas
03-07-2011, 03:02 AM
Tim only played well vs soft teams.. Yes they beat the Lakers in 2003 buT it was mostly cuz Roberty Horry shot something like 1-million in the playoffs..

dont forget kobe aint do jack shit in that game either.

AirJordan&Magic
03-07-2011, 03:15 AM
:facepalm

Anyhow Healthy Barkley > Any Duncan or Malone

Get off Barkley's balls.

04mzwach
03-07-2011, 03:21 AM
The mail man doesn't deliver on Sunday anyway. :rolleyes:

ballerz
03-07-2011, 03:27 AM
Duncan has played with more talent and he has never beat MJ.. Duncan has lost to Dirk.. Dirk outplayed him in that series too.. Come on.. And Karl Malone pretty much shut him down after game 1 of the 2004 wcf ... PEOPLE ACT LIKE THIS ISN'T A DISCUSSION.. Now Tim may have been a better player in his peak but not by much and his career will not endure nearly as long as Karl's... Who was killing the NBA up until 38

OK I am all for giving Duncan his due but I am sure he is not the 4th best player of all time.. :lol
duncan played with more talent? malone had arguably the best pg ever. Duncan was much better defensively and was a model of consistency.
I'm not saying he is 4th best of all time but he defiantly ranks higher then malone

twintowers
03-07-2011, 04:29 AM

That is all....:banghead:

NBASTATMAN
03-07-2011, 04:33 AM
duncan played with more talent? malone had arguably the best pg ever. Duncan was much better defensively and was a model of consistency.
I'm not saying he is 4th best of all time but he defiantly ranks higher then malone

Yes he ranks higher than Malone.. I would never argue his ranking over Malone.. I was just thinking as a individual player Karl Malone could be better than Duncan.. Who has really gotten bad early in his career.. Dude can't even get a defensive rebound at this point on Rodman.. Yet at 34 Karl Malone was defending A MUCH YOUNGER SHAQ..

I would give Tim Duncan the advantage on team defense but for the last three years he has not been able to guard the pick and roll for nothing.. Guys blow right by him.. People act like he hasn't choked.. Easy to forget the Cleveland series and some other stinkers he has had cuz his team has been able to win despite his bad play.. Karl needed to play great at all times and went against better big competition... Just saying.. The only player Tim went against was Shaq and Shaq usually shut him down during their 3 peat..

NBASTATMAN
03-07-2011, 04:38 AM
That is all....:banghead:

:lol

Hey I just watched Tim get busted... In a game that I lost some good quan... Maybe I was just venting.. Tim couldn't even get a darn rebound... :wtf:

That would have never happened to Karl Malone..

NBASTATMAN
03-07-2011, 04:39 AM
The mail man doesn't deliver on Sunday anyway. :rolleyes:

Do you remember Pippen telling him that in the Finals? clank ,clank.. People shouldn't act liKE Tim Duncan hasn't missed alot of big free throws..

NBASTATMAN
03-07-2011, 04:42 AM
Malone (post-'94) was CLEARLY a better passer and post-defender than Duncan, and probably a better scorer in general. That said, Duncan is the far better team/help defender (which is more important to a team) and better post scorer, which means he could anchor a team's offense better. Combine that with better playoff performance (he didn't shrink in big moments like Malone sometimes did) and he's pretty clearly the better player. Not sure if anyone would take Malone over TD to start a team.

I can live with this assessment.. Still Karl was much better than Tim as he got older.. ComparEn a 34 yrd Old Malone vs 34 tIM Duncan and its not even close.. At their best Tim was better but not by as much as Karl is better at 33 and older..

Pinkhearts
03-07-2011, 04:43 AM
What's the point of comparing a PF to a center?

NBASTATMAN
03-07-2011, 05:00 AM
What's the point of comparing a PF to a center?

i agree... But most have Tim Duncan as a pf.. If he is listed as a center than he goes from being the best pf to being about the 5 or 6th best center.. I feel like I am being nice.. :D

JUST KIDDING

OldSchoolBBall
03-07-2011, 11:57 PM
I can live with this assessment.. Still Karl was much better than Tim as he got older.. ComparEn a 34 yrd Old Malone vs 34 tIM Duncan and its not even close.. At their best Tim was better but not by as much as Karl is better at 33 and older..

Yeah, Duncan has really fallen off a cliff for whatever reasons. Malone at 33-35 years old was waaaay better than Tim is right now.

eliteballer
03-08-2011, 12:06 AM
Duncan has many more playoff games under his belt at this point than Malone did, which also results in shorter offseasons. I've read that 1 playoff game is equivalent to 3 regular season games in terms of wear and tear. You can tell by those braces he wears now that his knees are shot.

Himan12
03-08-2011, 12:47 AM
Duncan in his prime was the only one who could challenge a prime Shaq and young Kobe.

He won 4 championships and turned around the Spurs franchise into one of the most respected in the league. Yet he is ignored and his accomplishments are downplayed. He (along with Shaq and Kobe) was one of the driving forces of the NBA in the early 2000s.

Like Kobe, when he is gone I think he will be appreciated more. You dont miss someone until they are gone.

P.S He is a PF.

Round Mound
03-08-2011, 12:59 AM
Yeah, Duncan has really fallen off a cliff for whatever reasons. Malone at 33-35 years old was waaaay better than Tim is right now.

Same thing can be said about Barkley was Better than Malone from 1985 to 1995 when Barkley was still healthy

Big#50
03-08-2011, 01:01 AM
Have never seen so much trolling in one thread. Malone a better one on one defender? A better passer? Duncan used to get abused by Samaki Walker? He had a hard time against bangers? He never took over a series? Please dont feed the trolls.

KG5MVP
03-08-2011, 01:01 AM
Same thing can be said about Barkley was Better than Malone from 1985 to 1995 when Barkley was still healthy

barkley sucks, he can't even win in 1993 when he had a MUCH better team than MJ's bulls

Round Mound
03-08-2011, 01:09 AM
barkley sucks, he can't even win in 1993 when he had a MUCH better team than MJ's bulls

Better Team? Are u a f-cking retard? :oldlol: :facepalm :banghead:

Horace Grant was an All Star after MJ left
Pippen was the Best SF of the 90s and when MJ left lead that same team to 55 wins with everyone shooting higher FG% and was 4th In PER
Phil Jackson The Goat Coach

Barkley had 62 wins the ball hog KJ only playing 49 games, infact: They Had a Higher Winning% Without KJ. Barkley was simpley the most important player in the NBA for his team. Not to mention he was robbed from the 1990 MVP

And yes Barkley did own Malone till 1995. Not only that Malone never appeared for the play-offs: Hi he had a career play-off FG% of 46% = pathetic for a PF

OldSchoolBBall
03-08-2011, 01:16 AM
Have never seen so much trolling in one thread. Malone a better one on one defender? A better passer? Duncan used to get abused by Samaki Walker? He had a hard time against bangers? He never took over a series? Please dont feed the trolls.

But Malone was a better post defender and was a better passer (post-1994 in both instances).

KG5MVP
03-08-2011, 01:20 AM
Better Team? Are u a f-cking retard? :oldlol: :facepalm :banghead:

Horace Grant was an All Star after MJ left
Pippen was the Best SF of the 90s and when MJ left lead that same team to 55 wins with everyone shooting higher FG% and was 4th In PER
Phil Jackson The Goat Coach

Barkley had 62 wins the ball hog KJ only playing 49 games, infact: They Had a Higher Winning% Without KJ. Barkley was simpley the most important player in the NBA for his team. Not to mention he was robbed from the 1990 MVP

And yes Barkley did own Malone till 1995. Not only that Malone never appeared for the play-offs: Hi he had a career play-off FG% of 46% = pathetic for a PF

and barkley let MJ average 41 points on 51% shooting on the Suns for the whole series :roll: :roll:

DetroitPiston
03-08-2011, 01:56 AM
1. This thread sucks.

2. OP did not see Tim Duncan in the early 00s.

Round Mound
03-08-2011, 01:58 AM
and barkley let MJ average 41 points on 51% shooting on the Suns for the whole series :roll: :roll:

Yeah he was asigned to Guard MJ :oldlol: :banghead:

Jacks3
03-08-2011, 02:02 AM
That said, Duncan is the far better team/help defender (which is more important to a team) and better post scorer, which means he could anchor a team's offense better.
Malone was clearly the greater offensive anchor. Duncan's post-game doesn't make up for the fact that Malone had a far higher volume on better efficiency and was a better passer to boot. Plus, he was far better at getting to the line and getting teams in foul-trouble.

MooseJuiceBowen
03-08-2011, 02:26 AM
another pathetic ish thread

NBASTATMAN
03-08-2011, 02:52 AM
1. This thread sucks.

2. OP did not see Tim Duncan in the early 00s.

LOL ... I was kind of salty after losing a good amount of money on that game.. Still Duncan vs Malone is a good discussion.. Duncan can't even rebound anymore vs another big.. Karl Malone would have thrown Bynum to the floor yesterday..

NBASTATMAN
03-08-2011, 02:56 AM
Duncan in his prime was the only one who could challenge a prime Shaq and young Kobe.

He won 4 championships and turned around the Spurs franchise into one of the most respected in the league. Yet he is ignored and his accomplishments are downplayed. He (along with Shaq and Kobe) was one of the driving forces of the NBA in the early 2000s.

Like Kobe, when he is gone I think he will be appreciated more. You dont miss someone until they are gone.

P.S He is a PF.

Shaq never beat a Karl Malone led team.. Even though Shaq had alot of talent around him when they played vs each other.. The Mailman was one of the few players that could match Shaq's strength..

Dripac
03-08-2011, 06:00 AM
Tim Duncan is better and clearly better.Tim Duncan is the best when it matters,in big games.Karl Malone was a choker,never wanted the ball in the clutch.Guys watch some games,don't say that Malone is better just because you hate Duncan...

NBASTATMAN
03-08-2011, 07:21 AM
Tim Duncan is better and clearly better.Tim Duncan is the best when it matters,in big games.Karl Malone was a choker,never wanted the ball in the clutch.Guys watch some games,don't say that Malone is better just because you hate Duncan...

Duncan choked plenty of times.. His teammates bailed him out in the 2007 finals.. He stunk vs La in 2004 with KARL MALONE GUARDING HIM.. Or shall I say shutting him down..

Dripac
03-08-2011, 07:41 AM
Duncan choked plenty of times.. His teammates bailed him out in the 2007 finals.. He stunk vs La in 2004 with KARL MALONE GUARDING HIM.. Or shall I say shutting him down..

Man you are shitting badly

http://www.basketball-reference.com/playoffs/ just look at this and say he is choker again,and where is Malone?

twintowers
03-08-2011, 08:05 AM
you a duncan fan.. :lol

Still SHITTY POSTER SHITTY THREAD....
Rings (Duncan) are what matters....

konex
03-08-2011, 09:23 AM
I agree. Malone on the Lakers is better than Timmy the last 2 years. Dude doesn't give a shit anymore :roll:

ILLsmak
03-08-2011, 03:43 PM
Again, people want to compare TD and Malone even though they are not the same position. TD's impact on D is better because he was taller. As a 1v1 defender, though, Malone might have been better.

Malone was also a better scorer and shooter and likely a better rebounder.

Malone is a prototype PF with insane scoring, too.

Nothing about Duncan's game says "Power Forward" except that he played with a great C to start... and the great C took the big defensive assignments.

And yes it's true I did see Karl Malone owning TD on the Lakers, too. I had forgotten.

-Smak

Anaximandro1
03-08-2011, 05:40 PM

Tim Duncan is the first player ever to lead 4 championship teams in scoring, rebounding and blocked shots during the regular season and playoffs.Duncan was the last player to win MVP and Finals MVP in the same season.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/SAS/

Do you need to refresh your memory ?

Rookie Duncan got 32 in his postseason debut at the end of the 1997-1998 season.He put the Spurs on his back, and scored 15 points in the fourth quarter to bring his team back against the Suns.

Link:Tim Duncan puts on historical performance in playoff debut (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_fD0QA5g1E)

Do you remember 2003?

Link:Shaq vs. Duncan '03 West Semis Game 6 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rR6AgYWdoBQ)

Link: Duncan Game 3 Western Conference Finals 2003 34/24/6/6 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9WkNo3J3Ic)

Link: Duncan Game 1 2003 Nba Finals 32/20/7/6/3 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwWqsbANx6g)

Link: Duncan close to Quadruple-double, Finals MVP (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nejQMtkyLgY)

Of course,Duncan is more dominant statistically.

Playoffs

Duncan 23.0 pts (50.2%),12.4 rb,2.6 blk,3.5 as

Malone 24.7 pts (46.3%),10.7 rb,0.7 rb,3.2 as

Carbine
03-08-2011, 06:13 PM
Timmy was a better offensive player and defensive player, by all accounts had more leadership qualities, way more individual accolades....why is this a debate again?

Round Mound
03-08-2011, 06:13 PM

Tim Duncan is the first player ever to lead 4 championship teams in scoring, rebounding and blocked shots during the regular season and playoffs.Duncan was the last player to win MVP and Finals MVP in the same season.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/SAS/

Do you need to refresh your memory ?

Rookie Duncan got 32 in his postseason debut at the end of the 1997-1998 season.He put the Spurs on his back, and scored 15 points in the fourth quarter to bring his team back against the Suns.

Link:Tim Duncan puts on historical performance in playoff debut (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_fD0QA5g1E)

Do you remember 2003?

Link:Shaq vs. Duncan '03 West Semis Game 6 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rR6AgYWdoBQ)

Link: Duncan Game 3 Western Conference Finals 2003 34/24/6/6 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9WkNo3J3Ic)

Link: Duncan Game 1 2003 Nba Finals 32/20/7/6/3 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwWqsbANx6g)

Link: Duncan close to Quadruple-double, Finals MVP (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nejQMtkyLgY)

Of course,Duncan is more dominant statistically.

Playoffs

Barkley Play-Offs: 23 PPG (51.3% FG/55.13% Two Point FG on 22.5 PPG), 12.9 RPG, 3.9 APG,1.6 SPG and 0.9 BPG

SCdac
03-08-2011, 06:16 PM
Again, people want to compare TD and Malone even though they are not the same position. TD's impact on D is better because he was taller. As a 1v1 defender, though, Malone might have been better.

Malone was also a better scorer and shooter and likely a better rebounder.

Malone is a prototype PF with insane scoring, too.

Nothing about Duncan's game says "Power Forward" except that he played with a great C to start... and the great C took the big defensive assignments.

And yes it's true I did see Karl Malone owning TD on the Lakers, too. I had forgotten.

-Smak

LOL did you not see Duncan play alongside true centers in Rasho Nesterovic and Nazr Mohammed?

Duncan plays power forward just as much Kevin McHale did, or Pau Gasol, or Elton Brand, etc..... it's called "power" forward for a reason.

To say Duncan played no power forward is simply ignorance. Go watch the dude in his prime and tell me he didn't have attributes that other great PF's have.

Harison
03-08-2011, 06:25 PM
LOL did you not see Duncan play alongside true centers in Rasho Nesterovic and Nazr Mohammed?

Duncan plays power forward just as much Kevin McHale did, or Pau Gasol, or Elton Brand, etc..... it's called "power" forward for a reason.

To say Duncan played no power forward is simply ignorance. Go watch the dude in his prime and tell me he didn't have attributes that other great PF's have.
As a Spurs fan you should know Duncan logged more minutes as a center than PF. Sometimes teams play with two centers and call one of them PF, like Dream played with 7.4" Sampson, who was C-PF. Hell, Dream was better as PF than Duncan, yet we call him a center for a reason.

ILLsmak
03-08-2011, 06:32 PM

I dunno what to tell you... I believe David Robinson played the PF spot because of his midrange prowess when they played alongside each other. Nazr and Rasho didn't usually play big minutes... and when they did, as I said, they weren't in there stealing post touches from Duncan.

So, to say it again, I'm not saying Duncan can't play the PF spot... I am saying that at that spot, Karl is better.

To say Duncan is a better PF or the best PF ever, you would assume he did his damage from the PF position and he didn't. Just because he can play PF and he has championships and accolades doesn't logically mean that he got those while playing PF. Really, it seems like Duncan got to reap all of the benefits of playing the C position on offense but had another player guard the Cs.

-Smak

SCdac
03-08-2011, 06:37 PM
As a Spurs fan you should know Duncan logged more minutes as a center than PF. Sometimes teams play with two centers and call one of them PF, like Dream played with 7.4" Sampson, who was C-PF. Hell, Dream was better as PF than Duncan, yet we call him a center for a reason.

Duncan has played more center as he's aged and lost agility and speed. In his prime, and even as recent as 2006, he was playing predominantly power forward.

even the stats say so....

http://www.82games.com/0506/05SAS13C.HTM

Duncan has gone up against (man-to-man) almost all of the best power forwards of the last decade (2000's). He even guarded and was guarded by Karl Malone himself.

If he was a center.... wouldn't the Spurs have gone out and gotten a power forward once Robinson retired???

No, they wanted Duncan at PF - because he PLAYS power forward.

You guys get caught up in playing style too much, by the same logic you guys use, Dirk Nowitzki should be considered an all time great Small Forward.

Do you guys realize that Dwight Howard in his first two seasons with the league played power forward too??? It's not like power forwards have no back to the basket game.

the player defines the position he plays, not the other way around. Not every power forward is the same, but that can be said for every position.

I can understand calling Duncan a PF/C .... but calling him JUST a center is laughable - and leads me to believe many of yall didn't watch prime Duncan.

SCdac
03-08-2011, 06:44 PM
I dunno what to tell you... I believe David Robinson played the PF spot because of his midrange prowess when they played alongside each other. Nazr and Rasho didn't usually play big minutes... and when they did, as I said, they weren't in there stealing post touches from Duncan.

So, to say it again, I'm not saying Duncan can't play the PF spot... I am saying that at that spot, Karl is better.

To say Duncan is a better PF or the best PF ever, you would assume he did his damage from the PF position and he didn't. Just because he can play PF and he has championships and accolades doesn't logically mean that he got those while playing PF. Really, it seems like Duncan got to reap all of the benefits of playing the C position on offense but had another player guard the Cs.

-Smak

That is some of the strangest logic I've ever heard.

Duncan played power forward, but because he didn't play like a power forward (according to you), he shouldn't get any credit for it.

And please, nobody had to "steal" post touches from Duncan, Tim had some of the best vision from the low AND high post.... and those players DID play big minutes....

Rasho in 2004 started all 82 games, playing basically 30 minutes a game..... this was the season after Robinson retired..... why did they have Rasho play so much at center? I though Duncan was the "center"?

Nazr Mohammed started EVERY game of the 2005 playoffs at center...

ILLsmak
03-08-2011, 06:48 PM
Duncan has played more center as he's aged and lost agility and speed. In his prime, and even as recent as 2006, he was playing predominantly power forward.

even the stats say so....

http://www.82games.com/0506/05SAS13C.HTM

Duncan has gone up against (man-to-man) almost all of the best power forwards of the last decade (2000's). He even guarded and was guarded by Karl Malone himself.

If he was a center.... wouldn't the Spurs have gone out and gotten a power forward once Robinson retired???

No, they wanted Duncan at PF - because he PLAYS power forward.

You guys get caught up in playing style too much, by the same logic you guys use, Dirk Nowitzki should be considered an all time great Small Forward.

Do you guys realize that Dwight Howard in his first two seasons with the league played power forward too??? It's not like power forwards have no back to the basket game.

the player defines the position he plays, not the other way around. Not every power forward is the same, but that can be said for every position.

I can understand calling Duncan a PF/C .... but calling him JUST a center is laughable - and leads me to believe many of yall didn't watch prime Duncan.

I dunno I think they wanted more big bodies to guard Shaq tbh. That's why they got guys like Rasho and Nazr.

Dwight probably is still a PF. He'd shine next to a great offensive C then he wouldn't have to worry about anything except getting rebounds. But since they want to make him into an offensive option, they slid him down to C. But he fits the workman style of PF really well.

Usually when a player gets touches on offense in the post, it's from the C spot. PFs get higher touches. You can easily fix this by having someone who is playing PF slid into the C slot in your offense.

Once again, nobody said he couldn't play PF... just that it's not nearly as effective of a look as him at C. Do you dispute that...?

-Smak

SCdac
03-08-2011, 06:55 PM
PFs get higher touches.

Dude, go back and watch Duncan in his best seasons.... he WAS getting a ton of high touches. He STILL gets alot of high touches, more than ever before probably.

He put the ball on the floor and created for himself (ala Malone or Stoudemire) waaaay more than you guys are acknowledging or giving him credit for... hell, even high pick and pops/rolls were a big part of his game.

In 2004.... 54% of Duncan's shots came from jump shots.... 44% came from inside the paint.

I'm not making this up. This is a big man who was an expert on banking shots in and taking jumpers at the elbow and high post.

And please, explain to me how Dwight Howard should be considered more of a PF than Duncan.... "Dwight probably still is a PF", judging by the definitions of PF and C, please explain that to me.

ILLsmak
03-08-2011, 06:56 PM
Double post: I dunno why Nazr and Rasho are the crux of your post. It could have easily been a big body or workman, too. They were just big bodies to throw around at other Cs. They are fill ins. It's easier, I guess, to get a decent big body 7 footer than it is to get a big body PF who can start, I guess? Those guys are trash of trash and had no part in their offense other than just taking up space and fouling guys like Shaq.

-Smak

Round Mound
03-08-2011, 06:58 PM

It was before the 80s called Big Forward.

Powerforwards: play facing the rival and basket as much as have a post game back to the basket.

If they don`t play facing the basket then they are called Center-Forwards or Forward-Centers: what Duncan is, Gasol is, Elvin Hayes was etc

Duncan is a CF

SCdac
03-08-2011, 07:02 PM
Double post: I dunno why Nazr and Rasho are the crux of your post. It could have easily been a big body or workman, too. They were just big bodies to throw around at other Cs. They are fill ins. It's easier, I guess, to get a decent big body 7 footer than it is to get a big body PF who can start, I guess? Those guys are trash of trash and had no part in their offense other than just taking up space and fouling guys like Shaq.

-Smak

Rasho and Nazr had no part in the Spurs offense? I don't think you even watched those teams lol. They weren't all-stars (obviously), but they certainly had a place. Nazr Mohammed was the 5th scorer for the 2005 Spurs playoff team - ahead of the Brent Barry, the backup PG in Beno, starting SF in Bowen, Rasho, and Devin Brown. Not just any center could cut it for the Spurs - they sought out Rasho AS SOON as Robinson retired, because Duncan was their man at the 4.

Honestly, are you trolling? :lol

ILLsmak
03-08-2011, 07:02 PM
Dude, go back and watch Duncan in his best seasons.... he WAS getting a ton of high touches. He STILL gets alot of high touches, more than ever before probably.

He put the ball on the floor and created for himself (ala Malone or Stoudemire) waaaay more than you guys are acknowledging or giving him credit for... hell, even high pick and pops/rolls were a big part of his game.

In 2004.... 54% of Duncan's shots came from jump shots.... 44% came from inside the paint.

I'm not making this up. This is a big man who was an expert on banking shots in and taking jumpers at the elbow and high post.

And please, explain to me how Dwight Howard should be considered more of a PF than Duncan.... "Dwight probably still is a PF", judging by the definitions of PF and C, please explain that to me.

At this point, we are just saying the same things over and over. If you can't get the idea of what I am saying by what I have already posted, we are just gonna have to let it go.

-Smak

SCdac
03-08-2011, 07:04 PM
It was before the 80s called Big Forward.

Powerforwards: play facing the rival and basket as much as have a post game back to the basket.

If they don`t play facing the basket then they are called Center-Forwards or Forward-Centers: what Duncan is, Gasol is, Elvin Hayes was etc

Duncan is a CF

Like I said, you guys are confusing the Duncan now with the one who was owning the league in the early-mid 2000's.

His face up game was not lacking, at all, definitely warranted the power forward label.

He played center too, no doubt, which is why I agree with a PF/C label.

But Duncan, from when he came into the league to now, is hardly a true centre.

LA_Showtime
03-08-2011, 07:05 PM
I have a hard time believing Duncan fell off so quickly. It's almost like the Spurs have forgot how to play with him. Hopefully they'll get him more touches in the post so he's ready to play come playoff time.

SCdac
03-08-2011, 07:21 PM
At this point, we are just saying the same things over and over. If you can't get the idea of what I am saying by what I have already posted, we are just gonna have to let it go.

-Smak

I just don't think you know what you're talking about.

You went from saying "nothing about Duncan's game says power forward" to saying "I'm not saying Duncan can't play PF"...

So please explain to me how Duncan CAN play power forward (you already admitted he can)... what about his abilities allows him to play PF without sticking out like a sore thumb?

and at the same time explain to me how Dwight Howard "probably still IS a power forward"..... I don't understand that at all.

KenneBell
03-08-2011, 07:24 PM
I have a hard time believing Duncan fell off so quickly. It's almost like the Spurs have forgot how to play with him. Hopefully they'll get him more touches in the post so he's ready to play come playoff time.
Knees are shot.

When he said he was going to ride until the wheels fell off, he meant it. It sucks.

Big#50
03-08-2011, 08:06 PM
Karl Malone never shut Duncan down. In the 04 series the Lakers packed the lane to keep Parker out of it. Duncan had no room either. He got his team so many threes. Not his fault Turkeyglue went like 1 for 100. He had a 30 point game, a 24 point game. He had the monster game of 21 and 21. Fisher ruined that party. LoL he even nearly had a triple double in one of his ****ed up games. Hld Malone and Shaq way below their standards. Duncan>Shaq>Malone.
In 07 Tim won the NBA finals in game one. He didnt even try after that. Check the stats and watch the game.

Big#50
03-08-2011, 08:21 PM
They need at least 15/10 from him to beat LA. I dont think Spurs came to play this last Sunday. But Duncan hasn't played against them in all three games.