PDA

View Full Version : Gimme Austin Rivers right now over 80% of the leagues point guards

KB2clutch
03-08-2011, 12:52 AM
wow just watch some of his highlight reels and he is gonna kill it in the nba, i would say that i pick him to be my pg over anyone not named rose, williams, rondo and wall, maybe westbrook

Bucket_Nakedz
03-08-2011, 12:53 AM
:facepalm

"Jesus"
03-08-2011, 12:54 AM
Brian Scalabrine kicked ass in high school too.

ashbelly
03-08-2011, 12:57 AM
Westbrook>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

8BeastlyXOIAD
03-08-2011, 12:58 AM
Brian Scalabrine kicked ass in high school too.
Scal was nowhere near the prospet Rivers is

KB2clutch
03-08-2011, 01:01 AM
not sure if you guys have seen clips of him but if you did youd agree with me, his handles are as smooth as anyone in the nba and his jumper is money and being the son of a coach you can guarantee that his bball iq is off the charts which makes him that more dangerous

andgar923
03-08-2011, 01:04 AM
Gimme Mark Price>>>>>>>>> 95% of today's pgs.

Stuckey
03-08-2011, 01:05 AM
80% is a huge number, i can understand 40% though

wesbrook
paul
williams
rondo
rose
wall
curry
lowry
brooks
nash
holiday
collison
parker
stuckey

>

ashbelly
03-08-2011, 01:05 AM
not sure if you guys have seen clips of him but if you did youd agree with me, his handles are as smooth as anyone in the nba and his jumper is money and being the son of a coach you can guarantee that his bball iq is off the charts which makes him that more dangerous

how is stephen curry doing ?? You think he'll be better than curry ?

kaiiu
03-08-2011, 01:07 AM
agreed. He would be THE best imo:cheers:

KB2clutch
03-08-2011, 01:10 AM
how is stephen curry doing ?? You think he'll be better than curry ?

forgot about curry but even thats arguable, his jumper is just as good as curry's, his handles are better and hes much more athletic

konex
03-08-2011, 01:14 AM
I would take him over Fisher right now

AirTupac
03-08-2011, 01:21 AM
80% is a huge number, i can understand 40% though

wesbrook
paul
williams
rondo
rose
wall
curry
lowry
brooks
nash
holiday
collison
parker
stuckey

>

Billups...

Chuck Thou NBA
03-08-2011, 01:22 AM
Rivers is NOT a point guard. I don't think he ever will be. His favorijte player is DWADE.

Da KO King
03-08-2011, 01:23 AM
Pretty stupid to do considering Rivers is a 6'4" SG that believes offense begins and ends with his dribbling and shooting. Oh and him defending NBA PG's.... good luck with that.

32MJ32
03-08-2011, 01:25 AM
Do you know how good 80% (actually, 100%) of NBA point guards would look against high schoolers right now?

Rivers is a good prospect but put the gun down, buddy

IGOTGAME
03-08-2011, 01:27 AM

thats actually conservative...Since Chris Paul's is now injured, prime Mark Price is prob better than every point guard in the league except maybe Deron Williams..

Mark price>>>99% of today's point guards.

Give me M. Price over Derrick Rose any day of the week

kaiiu
03-08-2011, 01:30 AM
thats actually conservative...Since Chris Paul's is now injured, prime Mark Price is prob better than every point guard in the league except maybe Deron Williams..

Mark price>>>99% of today's point guards.

Give me M. Price over Derrick Rose any day of the week
:applause: :applause: agreed

BrentISballin
03-08-2011, 01:37 AM
The kid is still in highschool. Do you realize that every single decent player could have a highlight real to make them look amazing, how about you watch some actual games before you go nuts talkin like this? I know Austin Rivers is a great player and he'll be special one day but really, if you put this kid in the nba now he would have a rough time. You need to calm down and lay off youtube.

IGOTGAME
03-08-2011, 01:40 AM
The kid is still in highschool. Do you realize that every single decent player could have a highlight real to make them look amazing, how about you watch some actual games before you go nuts talkin like this? I know Austin Rivers is a great player and he'll be special one day but really, if you put this kid in the nba now he would have a rough time. You need to calm down and lay off youtube.

I don't think he is that special of a prospect...he is an undersieed 2 guard with a streaky jumpshot and decent athletism...I don't see the big deal tbh.

If Im gonna get excited about a prospect he better have some dominant potential like

Andre Drummond or Andrew Wiggins

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnyy59hEpKg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYlnK-kQuHA

noob cake
03-08-2011, 01:40 AM
Some posters here don't follow high school basketball. Let me fill you in, Austin Rivers is one of the top offensive talents to come out within the last few years.

His offensive game is complete and borderline NBA level already.

BrentISballin
03-08-2011, 01:43 AM
I don't think he is that special of a prospect...he is an undersieed 2 guard with a streaky jumpshot and decent athletism...I don't see the big deal tbh.
I'm no pro scout but there must be a reason why he's the number one prospect...

Hopefully he's a one and done at duke so we can see how he matches up to real competition

Stuckey
03-08-2011, 01:44 AM
Some posters here don't follow high school basketball. Let me fill you in, Austin Rivers is one of the top offensive talents to come out within the last few years.

His offensive game is complete and borderline NBA level already.

wasnt the same said about OJ mayo

noob cake
03-08-2011, 01:46 AM
wasnt the same said about OJ mayo

Wasn't even #1 in his class.

Besides Rivers has much ego as LeBron and as much confidence as Kobe. He is the son of Doc Rivers, so his head has to be screwed on right.

NuggetsFan
03-08-2011, 01:48 AM
I don't follow HS basketball, at all. I'm guessing ton's of HS prospects flame out once they hit College tho. Little early for this type of thread.

Could this kid actually make the leap from HS to the NBA if there was no rule in place?

Chuck Thou NBA
03-08-2011, 02:01 AM
I don't follow HS basketball, at all. I'm guessing ton's of HS prospects flame out once they hit College tho. Little early for this type of thread.

Could this kid actually make the leap from HS to the NBA if there was no rule in place?

ballislifedotcom has highlights of high school future NBA stars.

BrentISballin
03-08-2011, 02:03 AM
ballislifedotcom has highlights of high school future NBA stars.
and hoopmixtape ( search on youtube)

IGOTGAME
03-08-2011, 02:06 AM
Wasn't even #1 in his class.

Besides Rivers has much ego as LeBron and as much confidence as Kobe. He is the son of Doc Rivers, so his head has to be screwed on right.

He also isnt projected to go close to #1 in his draft class.

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2012/

Andre Drummond can start in the league right now, but since he isnt a guard no one mentions him.

ballup
03-08-2011, 02:18 AM
Brandon Jennings was very good in high school, look how he is now.

BJ Mixtape (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJpqtynQOAM)

bdreason
03-08-2011, 02:27 AM
He's a good player, but don't get too hyped over a HS highlight video. I've seen quite a few HS highlight videos that made guys look like the next MJ.

ukfan22
03-08-2011, 02:36 AM
Rivers is barely shooting 30% from three this year.

Just FYI

ballerz
03-08-2011, 03:02 AM
dude is a freak. in one game he dropped 43 points, he is killing it:bowdown:

midatlantic09
03-08-2011, 12:16 PM
OP, he's playing against high school guys right now. Of course he's going to dominate. At least wait to see how he does at Duke next year before coming to conclusions.

If you put any of the starting NBA PGs in a high school game right now they'd get 40 points, 12 rebs, 11 assists, and 6 steals.

Rnbizzle
03-08-2011, 12:26 PM
wow just watch some of his highlight reels and he is gonna kill it in the nba, i would say that i pick him to be my pg over anyone not named rose, williams, rondo and wall, maybe westbrook

cp3 and nash say hi..

Forgot that actually, every pointguard in the NBA says hi. This kid might be a great prospect but he isn't there yet lol..

blablabla
03-08-2011, 12:29 PM

stopped reading here

Rnbizzle
03-08-2011, 12:33 PM
stopped reading here
:lol so true

XxSMSxX
03-08-2011, 12:39 PM
OP, he's playing against high school guys right now. Of course he's going to dominate. At least wait to see how he does at Duke next year before coming to conclusions.

If you put any of the starting NBA PGs in a high school game right now they'd get 40 points, 12 rebs, 11 assists, and 6 steals.

I believe guards like Rondo and Paul averaged something like like that during their HS school years. Rose to i believe and a host of others

kkling
03-08-2011, 01:00 PM
Let's see him do this shit guarded by NBA players before we go all Lebron James on him.

ukfan22
03-08-2011, 01:33 PM
Rondo had 55 pt and 31 ast games in high school.

You read that correctly.

OhNoTimNoSho
03-08-2011, 02:10 PM
in ONE GAME???!?!?!? :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

da dream
03-08-2011, 03:20 PM

Well Dajuan Wagner was killing it in high school as he scored 100 points in a high school game and average 42.5 per game his senior year.

:roll: at people using wikepedia because know one knows who he is

wally_world
03-08-2011, 03:43 PM
Rivers is NOT a point guard. I don't think he ever will be. His favorijte player is DWADE.

My favorite player is Rodman, and i play SG and probably grabs no more than 3 rebounds a game.

Kombo
03-08-2011, 03:55 PM
Austin's body has a little ways to go yet that'll be ready by the time he's out of college. His shot needs more work than anything. His passing is okay, he doesn't really show much touch on his passes. His best trait is finishing.

He'll play the two in the NBA, putting him at the 1 would be a waste.

pauk
03-08-2011, 04:47 PM
Well Dajuan Wagner was killing it in high school as he scored 100 points in a high school game and average 42.5 per game his senior year.

:roll: at people using wikepedia because know one knows who he is

dude even eddie house was pwning it

"One of the best-known players in the nation his senior year, led by his Pac-10 record matching 61-point outburst at California on Jan. 8. The first Pac-10 player to notch four 40-point games in one season as he had 46 vs. San Diego State, 42 vs. Penn State and 40 vs. UCLA"

http://thesundevils.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/house_eddie00.html

xcesswee
03-08-2011, 05:16 PM
Isn't the kid shooting like 40 percent from field. Seems like a volume shooter to me who has flashy moves. We'll see how he does in college before we make any assumptions on what he can do in the NBA.

blacknapalm
03-08-2011, 05:52 PM
80%? lolol.

PGs i would take over him for sure:
- d-will
- cp3
- rose
- nash
- kidd
- rondo
- billups
- conley
- parker
- collison
- lawson
- curry

probably:
- wall
- augustin
- felton

ATL_Bball_King
03-08-2011, 06:08 PM
80% when PG is the hardest position in the NBA right now...:facepalm :facepalm

Hopefully he is going to be good though... But you giving him alot 80% is huge...

ATL_Bball_King
03-08-2011, 06:10 PM
80%? lolol.

- d-will
- cp3
- rose
- nash
- kidd
- rondo
- billups
- conley
- parker
- collison
- lawson
- curry

probably:
- wall
- augustin
- felton

Probably Wall...:lol

Dang

Blake stole all the hype from him this year....:oldlol:

Beatlezz
12-06-2012, 04:29 AM
Bustin Rivers with another GOAT performance! :rockon:

vs Lakers 21 min / 0-5 fg / 1 pt / :applause:

vs Bucks 22 min / 0-5 fg / 0 pt / :applause:

The_Yearning
12-06-2012, 04:34 AM
Lmao this kid is horrible.:oldlol:

Did he forget how to shoot or something?

BlueandGold
12-06-2012, 04:42 AM
He's a highly highly coveted prospect for sure.. most people have him as the #1 prospect going in im' pretty sure or if they don't he's top3 minimum.

Saw some highlights of him at AAU.. I have to admit his handles are extremely nice.. his handles look NBA ready already and he's only in high school.. and it's not like i've seen a lot of film on this guy.. it's obvious right from the start.

Only concern is his strength, size and mental ability.

with that said 80% of the pgs in the league is ridiculous

80%? lolol.

- d-will
- cp3
- rose
- nash
- kidd
- rondo
- billups
- conley
- parker
- collison
- lawson
- curry

probably:
- wall
- augustin
- felton

I would take all those players over rivers.. augustin is a toss-up but that's because rivers hasn't had a shot in the NBA yet.

The_Yearning
12-06-2012, 04:49 AM
He's a highly highly coveted prospect for sure.. most people have him as the #1 prospect going in im' pretty sure or if they don't he's top3 minimum.

Saw some highlights of him at AAU.. I have to admit his handles are extremely nice.. his handles look NBA ready already and he's only in high school.. and it's not like i've seen a lot of film on this guy.. it's obvious right from the start.

Only concern is his strength, size and mental ability.

with that said 80% of the pgs in the league is ridiculous

I would take all those players over rivers.. augustin is a toss-up but that's because rivers hasn't had a shot in the NBA yet.

That' it? Which starting PG would you take Rivers over?

Answer: 0

BlueandGold
12-06-2012, 04:51 AM
That' it? Which starting PG would you take Rivers over?

Answer: 0
Hey i'm just being honest.. i said that his ball-handling/dribble is already at NBA level, just the fact that he could win a starting job in the NBA before he even graduates high school is a high enough compliment in itself.

noob cake
12-06-2012, 05:03 AM
Hey i'm just being honest.. i said that his ball-handling/dribble is already at NBA level, just the fact that he could win a starting job in the NBA before he even graduates high school is a high enough compliment in itself.

His shots are not falling. Rivers is just on a cold streak. He'll be fine. In fact, he'll be one of the best players in his draft class within a few years.

Don't write off a rookie as a bust 20 games into his first season.

Pushxx
12-06-2012, 05:10 AM
He looks so disinterested on so many possessions. I think he hates playing for New Orleans.

Unfortunately, until he learns how to drive left, he'll never fully take off in the NBA.

I'm sure he'll find his place eventually. Maybe after his rookie contract.

RoundMoundOfReb
12-06-2012, 05:11 AM
i told you guys he would bust... playing him at pg is even worse :facepalm

dilley
12-06-2012, 05:17 AM
Dude went back to highschool after playing at Duke and the NBA? :bowdown: So humble.

NumberSix
12-06-2012, 05:23 AM
Austin Rivers is a scrub. No need to sugar coat it.

However..... Dude could get better. No need to write him off already.

The_Yearning
12-06-2012, 05:39 AM
Paul Pierce was 10th pick :bowdown:

But The Truth went 16-6-3 his rookie year in pressure city Boston.

Nero Tulip
12-06-2012, 06:26 AM
He looks so disinterested on so many possessions. I think he hates playing for New Orleans.

Unfortunately, until he learns how to drive left, he'll never fully take off in the NBA.

I'm sure he'll find his place eventually. Maybe after his rookie contract.

The guy should feel lucky to get so many minutes. He doesn't get to hate playing for New Orleans, he's really lucky to be in the league.

KeyNote
12-06-2012, 06:43 AM
He looks like he has no idea what he's doing out there

senelcoolidge
12-06-2012, 08:53 AM
Seriously how he gets so many minutes baffles me. But the Pelicans are one of the least talented teams in the league. I heard he wants to be the man. He wants to go to a team where he will the #1 option. :lol Kid is delusional.

KeyNote
12-06-2012, 12:51 PM
Seriously, for his dad to be a great coach and good player, and being coached by a great coach in college..he looks absolutely lost out there..has no business in this league right now, should've stayed another year at duke

Godzuki
12-06-2012, 02:30 PM
lol i read the thread title and was like WTF. thankfully its a old thread. i think Rivers is one of the worst NBA players i've ever seen but i never watched his college highlights so i don't really know what he supposedly can do...

LBJFTW
12-06-2012, 02:33 PM

^
True story! :cheers:

KG215
12-06-2012, 02:36 PM
His shots are not falling. Rivers is just on a cold streak. He'll be fine. In fact, he'll be one of the best players in his draft class within a few years.

Don't write off a rookie as a bust 20 games into his first season.
Just a cold streak? Shots just aren't falling?

It's been 16 games. He's shooting 28% from the floor. That's more than just a cold streak.

Clifton
12-06-2012, 05:17 PM
Even in college, Austin Rivers was 85% blind confidence, 14% athleticism, and 1% actual skill.

The guy's testicles would not look out of place on Mount Rushmore. But that doesn't mean he will be a good player, who makes his team better.

If he evens out over time, and allows himself to patiently improve, I can see him being a better version of Jason Terry. Better because he can get to the hoop. But he needs a great coach.

I'd like to see Gregg Popovich take him on, to be honest. He could be Parker's successor. Parker was cocky and aggressive and inconsistent when he started out. You know what Tony Parker is without Popovich? I shudder to think. I can see him struggling Jeremy Lin-style somewhere. Perhaps not even a third guard on some team. Just another quick but undersized guard with no jumper who's not a great passer. Some players have to be made. Rivers is one.

If he never gets a great coach who can limit him and define his role for him, he'll never be a good player, IMO.

I haven't seen him that much, though, so, grain of salt.

KyrieTheFuture
12-06-2012, 05:20 PM

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

jdm_dc_fan
12-06-2012, 05:26 PM
forgot about curry but even thats arguable, his jumper is just as good as curry's, his handles are better and hes much more athletic
:roll:

Curry/Klay back court best shooting in the league. :banana:

jdm_dc_fan
12-06-2012, 05:32 PM
The guy should feel lucky to get so many minutes. He doesn't get to hate playing for New Orleans, he's really lucky to be in the league.
He's very lucky to be in NO. Most other teams would have him playing at most 10 min a game by now. Give him a year or two and he will improve.

Kellogs4toniee
12-06-2012, 07:42 PM
It's most def not a cold streak. He's been given plenty of consistent minutes to get into a groove... which he clearly has not. Watching the games, he just looks lost half of the time. He can't really spot up shoot, but when they try pick and rolls or isolation plays for him, most of the time it doesn't lead to anything. That's the part that's most disappointing to me.

His shooting can be attributed to being a rookie and un-motivated, but his IQ and inability to adapt is the most alarming. This is a Hornets team that's clearly rebuilding. With a star in Eric Gordon (same position as Rivers) out, everything was set for Rivers to come in and play meaningful minutes and fight for that ROY award. Instead, the exact opposite has happened. Not saying he is or is going to be a bust, but he's clearly heading toward the "highly touted player who significantly under-performed for his career relative to his draft stock".

FreezingTsmoove
12-06-2012, 07:51 PM
Austin has shot poorly over the past 3 games with teams with legit defensive bigs

His game relies on getting to the rim every possible way

He scored his career high against the Clips

He'll find his way you cant blame a rook for shooting poorly. He's a great passer

Kellogs4toniee
12-06-2012, 08:27 PM
Austin has shot poorly over the past 3 games with teams with legit defensive bigs

His game relies on getting to the rim every possible way

He scored his career high against the Clips

He'll find his way you cant blame a rook for shooting poorly. He's a great passer

How to first bolded part?

As for second bolded part : 27 Minutes. 3 Assists. 1.5 Turnovers. :confusedshrug:

KG215
12-07-2012, 12:56 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=1S4rJSz8FaA

Even if this is just a "cold streak" for Rivers, and he breaks out of it and turns into a legit NBA player, Skip Bayless (as always) sounds like a huge moron. Said he'd have no problem if Rivers had gone number two in the draft. There was absolutely nothing that indicated Rivers had top 2-3 talent. I thought he was a reach at #10.