PDA

View Full Version : How Much Has Wade Popularized The Euro Step?

Vragrant
03-21-2011, 08:35 PM
Ginobili was the first allstar to use it as a staple in his game. Wades' explosiveness (by Ginobilis' own admission)and length took the move to another level. Its practically made Wade even more unguardable than he was before.

I see more and more guys using the move now, such as:

Rondo
Westbrook
Monta Ellis
Eric Gordon

Even guys like Derozan and a few others that I can't remember right now (I even saw Derek Fisher stumble trying to do it on a fast break:oldlol: ). I really don't remember as much guys doing it as much in the past two seasons. Now although these guys aren't as good at it, I see it being used more and more.

Being that Wade has the most prolific use of the Euro step of all the elite players how influential has he been or has he been at all?

Optimus Prime
03-21-2011, 08:38 PM
Is that the thing he does when he hops then takes two more steps before getting a phantom whistle? Or is that LeBron's "crab dribble"?

I mean seriously, you even said Ginoboli was the first to use it, and he's even European, yet it's all because of Wade that players used it now?

Heat homer much? :rolleyes:

Andrei89
03-21-2011, 08:39 PM
^^ troll alert

Laker ballz washer...

He washes Kobe ballz:lol

Nick Young
Manu is the one Wade stole it from:facepalm

knightfall88
Wade didnt do anything for the euro step. However I think he did invent the spin travel.

Nick Young
03-21-2011, 08:40 PM
Is that the thing he does when he hops then takes two more steps before getting a phantom whistle? Or is that LeBron's "crab dribble"?

I mean seriously, you even said Ginoboli was the first to use it, and he's even European, yet it's all because of Wade that players used it now?

manu aint from europe bozo

Andrei89
03-21-2011, 08:41 PM

Oh and Manu is not from Europe you stupid Laker ballz washer:lol

Geezer
03-21-2011, 08:43 PM
For the uneducated, the "Euro step" is the move where on the first step the player steps sideways rather than towards the basket, then veers back in on the second before laying it in

Optimus Prime
03-21-2011, 08:43 PM
manu aint from europe bozo

Ethnically no, but he did come from the Euroleague before joining the NBA.

So technically, I was right and wrong. :D

stephanieg
03-21-2011, 08:48 PM
For the uneducated, the "Euro step" is the move where on the first step the player steps sideways rather than towards the basket, then veers back in on the second before laying it in

AKA not being retarded and plowing right into the guy waiting for the charge.

Geezer
03-21-2011, 08:49 PM

Maybe someone should inform Blake Griffin that this move exists :pimp:

NewYorkNoPicks
03-21-2011, 08:49 PM
Euro Step is amazing... but the HOP STEP is the most effective move of all time. I used to use it everytime I played. Gets you to the rim and creates space between defenders in one swift maneuver.

8BeastlyXOIAD
03-21-2011, 08:51 PM
Tyreke Evans uses it alot.

SinJackal
03-21-2011, 08:56 PM

This.

^^ troll alert

Laker ballz washer...

He washes Kobe ballz:lol

Second half of his post was right, even though the first part was a troll. No reason to pass off his whole post as a troll since it includes information you don't like.

Manu is the one Wade stole it from:facepalm

Ignorance is bliss. Manu's been using it before he even joined the NBA. He also played in the NBA year before Wade, and had already been using it. Manu started as a slasher, then developed his outside game later. Eurostep was always a big weapon for him.

IGOTGAME
03-21-2011, 09:01 PM

it is actually hard to do for most people since they aren't NBA athletes.

AJ2k8
03-21-2011, 09:06 PM
Love the european step, i've throw it into my game(after watching wade play) over the past year and it's unbelievably effective:bowdown:

get these NETS
03-21-2011, 09:07 PM
I could almost swear that I've seen pro players from Chicago area do this move before Ginobili.

But having played against guys who were raised in europe....the way they move is herky jerky and hard to defend...so the euro step could easily be from there also

maybe some retired NBA player(from chicago) played for one of the elite euro teams and popularized the move

Papaya Petee
03-21-2011, 09:09 PM
This.

Second half of his post was right, even though the first part was a troll. No reason to pass off his whole post as a troll since it includes information you don't like.

Ignorance is bliss. Manu's been using it before he even joined the NBA. He also played in the NBA year before Wade, and had already been using it. Manu started as a slasher, then developed his outside game later. Eurostep was always a big weapon for him.

Great, Wade is better at it, and a better player, and uses it more IMO, so he takes this.

Fatal9
03-21-2011, 09:10 PM
Sarunas Marciulionis was the one who brought the Euro Step to the NBA (needs to be more appreciated on this board, just an amazing player). Ginobili is the one I credit with really popularizing it in this decade though.

Fatal9
03-21-2011, 09:17 PM
here's a clip of sarunas doing it (not many clips of him on youtube, only one i could find):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fumWbJomIS4

pete's montreux
03-21-2011, 09:19 PM
here's a clip of sarunas doing it (not many clips of him on youtube, only one i could find):

damn his footwork was so good he had 4 pivot foots

Fatal9
03-21-2011, 09:28 PM
yea when he caught the ball (players get away with that a lot), but the euro step was clean. he did have insane footwork though on pivots because of his lower body strength, look at how he plants himself here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSxhGLpoZVo&#t=6m31s

can see why injuries messed up his career, that type of pressure on your legs takes a toll.

InfiniteBaskets
03-21-2011, 09:31 PM
I don't see a lot of collegiate players doing it, but a lot of pick up game players try to imitate it. But it ends up being more of an euro 'skip' rather than step. Which technically should be a travel, but no one's calling that.

macpierce
03-21-2011, 09:32 PM
time to add that to my arsenal now :pimp:

pete's montreux
03-21-2011, 09:37 PM
yea when he caught the ball (players get away with that a lot), but the euro step was clean. he did have insane footwork though on pivots because of his lower body strength, look at how he plants himself here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSxhGLpoZVo&#t=6m31s

can see why injuries messed up his career, that type of pressure on your legs takes a toll.

yeah you never see someone even use that move anymore, let alone get as low as he did/plant yourself as hard

so many moves you just don't see anymore, another one is the mj headfake

Rake2204
03-21-2011, 09:49 PM
Sarunas Marciulionis was the one who brought the Euro Step to the NBA (needs to be more appreciated on this board, just an amazing player). Ginobili is the one I credit with really popularizing it in this decade though.
Nice. I'm totally unfamiliar with the intricacies of Sarunas' game.

Personally, Manu Ginobili is who brought the Eurostep into my consciousness. On a whim, after watching him pull it off time and time again, I threw it into my game a long time ago. It's definitely a reliable, effective, and quite honestly simple maneuver. It really amazes me that it took as long as it has to become so popular. I can't believe that nearly no one ever said "what if I stepped in two different directions before I shot?" I love it.

hitmanyr2k
03-21-2011, 10:03 PM
Nice. I'm totally unfamiliar with the intricacies of Sarunas' game.

Personally, Manu Ginobili is who brought the Eurostep into my consciousness. On a whim, after watching him pull it off time and time again, I threw it into my game a long time ago. It's definitely a reliable, effective, and quite honestly simple maneuver. It really amazes me that it took as long as it has to become so popular. I can't believe that nearly no one ever said "what if I stepped in two different directions before I shot?" I love it.

Probably the best move Ginobili has ever made. Crossed Kobe at the top of the key and then went elastic-man on Shaq :oldlol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yw5QxYHxHdk&NR=1#t=3m30s

Vragrant
03-21-2011, 10:06 PM

Nice clip, Sarunas was one of my favourite players in the 90's. Great athleticism too. I remember during the 92 Olympics when he pinned of the Dream Team players' shot against the glass. I cant remember who is was, but it was chase down block he pinned clean.

Very underrated player.

Hulk Hogan
03-21-2011, 10:17 PM
Wade does it to get to the free-throw line, so I don't think his is legit.

gmoney9
03-21-2011, 10:33 PM
man, Wade uses this step ton perfection and like someone stated he's so explosive with it he'll continue to use it in the game w/ success

KenneBell
03-21-2011, 11:09 PM
Pretty much every guard uses it now. It's a staple now just like the hop step.

amfirst
03-22-2011, 01:32 AM
Ginobili was the first allstar to use it as a staple in his game. Wades' explosiveness (by Ginobilis' own admission)and length took the move to another level. Its practically made Wade even more unguardable than he was before.

I see more and more guys using the move now, such as:

Rondo
Westbrook
Monta Ellis
Eric Gordon

Even guys like Derozan and a few others that I can't remember right now (I even saw Derek Fisher stumble trying to do it on a fast break:oldlol: ). I really don't remember as much guys doing it as much in the past two seasons. Now although these guys aren't as good at it, I see it being used more and more.

Being that Wade has the most prolific use of the Euro step of all the elite players how influential has he been or has he been at all?

Naw, many players use that move, players like Kobe was one of the first I seen do it in the early playoffs againt the Suns, but Manu and specifically Wade preferred to overuse it so much that people think they invented it.

KevinNYC
03-22-2011, 02:29 AM

Um, Ethnically yes. Ginobili is Italian.
His nationality is Argentinian.

He's an Italian-Argentinian.

bdreason
03-22-2011, 02:48 AM
Manu and Wade didn't invent the Euro-step.

And the move is crazy hard to do effectively. You need have great coordination and lateral movement. You also need to be deceptive. Just pulling a Euro-step doesn't do anything unless the defender bites.

bdreason
03-22-2011, 02:52 AM
And most the hopsteps I see by street ballers are clear travels. Hell, most the hopsteps I see in the NBA are travels. There has to be a hard dribble as the jumping-foot leaves the ground. I see way too many guys that dribble and then step - hopstep (travel), or even the borderline embarrassing hopstep - hopstep travel.

Jasi
03-22-2011, 06:44 AM

Lithuanians don't travel.
It's forbidden by their Constitution.

That video must be edited.

dj ys
03-22-2011, 10:05 AM
I first noticed it with Ginobli but Wade took it to another level. He has the athleticism and explosiveness to still dunk after a eurostep which is RIDICULOUS http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uRN7iJ5CqQ.

Rake2204
03-22-2011, 10:25 AM
Probably the best move Ginobili has ever made. Crossed Kobe at the top of the key and then went elastic-man on Shaq :oldlol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yw5QxYHxHdk&NR=1#t=3m30s
Wow, that's kind of a coincidence because it was that specific finish around Shaq that made the light bulb go off in my head in regards to the move's feasibility in my own game. It's a great way to neutralize a defender.

I'd highly encourage the inclusion of this move into anyone's game. As a coach, I even run Euro-step drills in practice. For those struggling or feeling as though it's too tough or awkward to pull off, I say just take your time. I had to walk myself through the steps a series of times (though I can't remember how long it took to get down pat). Getting the Euro down was a lot like perfecting the "pick-up dribble then put ball behind back before laying up" move. It felt a little unattainable at first, but once the proper weight distrubution and steps are established, it feels sort of natural.

Also worth keeping in mind, not every Euro-step is going to break the defense's ankles. A lot of times I'll use the Euro simply to make the defense hesitate a little and provide just enough of an opening to weasel to the rim.

I first noticed it with Ginobli but Wade took it to another level. He has the athleticism and explosiveness to still dunk after a eurostep which is RIDICULOUS http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uRN7iJ5CqQ.
Thanks for that link. I never noticed this before, but it appears Dwyane's Euro was a little different there. The only Euro I pull off at this point (as a right hander) is a sharp stab to the right with my right foot then taking off in the opposite direction with my left. In Dwyane's case there, it looks like his first step was with that same right foot, but to the left, sort of pretzeling a little bit. I bet it probably gives him more lift as the direction change isn't so severe. I'm going to give that a try. The pretzel step.

lefthook00
03-22-2011, 10:37 AM
Dwyane Wade - The Art Of The Two Step
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmnBkzTIwts
The master.

jrong
03-22-2011, 11:50 AM
Manu and Wade didn't invent the Euro-step.

Exactly. What a strange argument to have considering neither one was anywhere close to being the pioneer of this move.

Wade really began using it during his injury-year when he had no explosion. He had to rely on guile instead, and this was one of his primary maneuvers. When he regained his normal-Wade explosion, he kept in his repertoire, and it is the combination of his explosion with the two-step that makes his use of it the most devastating in the league.

Incidentally, the way Wade played during the injury year is a good preview of what his game will look like once he "loses a step" and demonstrates that those who predict he will decline rapidly at that point are engaging in wishful thinking..

kaiiu
03-22-2011, 11:55 AM
Ginobili, Tony Parker and Wade are the best at it. Wade is the only one I see DUNK after the move doe:bowdown: :applause:

OldSchoolBBall
03-23-2011, 11:21 PM
I've seen Jordan do the Euro step a few times in games. I can remember one vs. Boston and one vs. Milwaukee in the late 80's that are both on youtube (I'll see if I can find them), and there's one example here as well vs. Atlanta, though this one is more subtle than the others:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kkf7pOGBz7o#t=5m33s

che guevara
03-23-2011, 11:32 PM
I've seen Jordan do the Euro step a few times in games. I can remember one vs. Boston and one vs. Milwaukee in the late 80's that are both on youtube (I'll see if I can find them), and there's one example here as well vs. Atlanta, though this one is more subtle than the others:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kkf7pOGBz7o#t=5m33s
Was that a conscious move or did he just invent it on the fly? It certainly wasn't something he did often, that's the first clip I've ever seen of him doing it.

OldSchoolBBall
03-23-2011, 11:38 PM
Was that a conscious move or did he just invent it on the fly? It certainly wasn't something he did often, that's the first clip I've ever seen of him doing it.

Like I said, I've seen it a few times. This one is definitely a sidestep, but is more subtle than the other 2 instances I've seen (one vs. Boston where he drives right, then does a sidestep to the left for a short banker in the lane plus the foul, and one vs. the Bucks where he drives right baseline from the wing and then sidesteps to split Terry Cummings and his recovering primary defender for an easy layup; these are both on youtube - I'll see if I can find them later).

I guess he just did it on the fly. Jordan is the most creative player in history, so it doesn't surprise me. He did whatever he needed to do to find a seam.

04mzwach
03-24-2011, 01:20 AM
:lol I've seen it done as early as the 80s, so stop the bull. "Euro" step!

ballerz
03-24-2011, 01:24 AM
Lithuanians don't travel.
It's forbidden by their Constitution.

That video must be edited.
:oldlol:

Swaggin916
03-24-2011, 01:27 AM
Euro Step is amazing... but the HOP STEP is the most effective move of all time. I used to use it everytime I played. Gets you to the rim and creates space between defenders in one swift maneuver.

Doesn't work quite as well with help D and disciplined defenders but in pick up games holy shit it's ridiculous.

Still yes a great move.

Tyreke is the best Eurostepper in the league... his is so damn clean. When Kobe tries to do it it looks very forced.

HB40TheNextStar
03-24-2011, 01:28 AM
George Mikan used to use it all the time. His goggles go one way, his feet go the other.

DuMa
03-24-2011, 01:48 AM
who has dunked from the eurostep?

Euroleague
03-24-2011, 03:59 AM

Ethnically, Manu is Italian.

Euroleague
03-24-2011, 04:01 AM
I could almost swear that I've seen pro players from Chicago area do this move before Ginobili.

But having played against guys who were raised in europe....the way they move is herky jerky and hard to defend...so the euro step could easily be from there also

maybe some retired NBA player(from chicago) played for one of the elite euro teams and popularized the move

The Euro Step was created by Yugoslavian basketball years ago. So it existed long before Manu even began his career.

Rake2204
03-24-2011, 08:58 AM
The Euro Step was created by Yugoslavian basketball years ago. So it existed long before Manu even began his career.
Out of legitimate curiosity, do you have any more details on this origin of the step?

Also, to clarify, the question is, "How Much Has Wade Popularized The Euro Step", not necessarily invented it. In my personal case, regardless of who invented it, it was Manu Ginobili who inspired me to add it to my own game. He was the first player I noticed using it frequently. But that's just in my case. If someone watched Sarunas his whole career, maybe that was their inspiration. It just happened to be Manu for me. It seemed to really takeoff league-wide right around his time.

RainierBeachPoet
03-24-2011, 10:49 AM

:applause::applause::applause:

sarunas was so gritty and so effective (it was heart warming to see the sonics in the clip too!)

i loved that run tmc warriors squad in the early 90s

and i believe that you are correct in an later post too: those hard cuts probably took its toll on his knees after so many years of using that move

vert48
03-24-2011, 10:57 AM
I have never heard it called the Euro Step, but this has been my favorite move in my game since the early 80's.

Dro
03-24-2011, 11:53 AM
here's an article that credits Sarunas with bringing the move to the states...
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/18/sports/basketball/18moves.html

SebasMiamiFan
03-24-2011, 12:00 PM
Wade is amazing at it! :cheers:

Rake2204
03-24-2011, 12:31 PM
here's an article that credits Sarunas with bringing the move to the states...
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/18/sports/basketball/18moves.html
Nice! Thanks for that.

JustinJDW
03-24-2011, 12:35 PM
Its a great movie, and looks incredibly simple, but obviously is much more difficult to pull off on a consistent and effective basis. You need outstanding body control and footwork to be able to fool your defenders often. A lot of people who try it in pick-up games, and shit the damn NBA, try it and they really just travel, but no one really calls that.

Heat007
03-24-2011, 12:53 PM
Wade's very underrated in how he moves away from screens. How he makes you think he's going to use a screen just to blow by you the other way with his explosion. How he uses his hesitant moves, body fakes, and head fakes to go away from screens. Then he has amazing control at top speed through the lane. At that point bigs think he's going to do the eurostep and they just accept the non blocking foul with no resistance because he's just too good.

As Wade whizzes and slithers right by them.

Here's Wade going away from the screen and blowing right by Kobe Bryant 3 times in the 4th quarter in the last game against the Lakers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSBZ3YYaDl8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4vzv7NpRSE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DikQpH4MB5Y

:eek:

OldSchoolBBall
03-25-2011, 12:44 AM
Like I said, I've seen it a few times. This one is definitely a sidestep, but is more subtle than the other 2 instances I've seen (one vs. Boston where he drives right, then does a sidestep to the left for a short banker in the lane plus the foul, and one vs. the Bucks where he drives right baseline from the wing and then sidesteps to split Terry Cummings and his recovering primary defender for an easy layup; these are both on youtube - I'll see if I can find them later).

I guess he just did it on the fly. Jordan is the most creative player in history, so it doesn't surprise me. He did whatever he needed to do to find a seam.

I found one of the instances of MJ doing a "Eurostep/sidestep" I mentioned above (vs. Milwaukee) thanks to Micku, who happened to post it randomly in a different thread:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9ascgokGRM#t=00m20s

I still need to find the Celtics one, because that was the least subtle of them all.

Meticode
03-25-2011, 12:49 AM

So since Iverson played in the Euroleague (Eurocup to be more specific) he's European too? What next? Bonzi Wells is Chinese because he's playing in China? :oldlol:

Rojogaqu11
03-25-2011, 01:54 AM
It's a really great move. I remember Manu doing it often before but now it's become a trademark in DWade's game. If you've played soccer before, this move is easier to master. To be honest, if you want to improve your footwork for any sport, soccer (and I've heard ballet) can make wonders for your game.

sodap
03-25-2011, 02:06 AM
So since Iverson played in the Euroleague (Eurocup to be more specific) he's European too? What next? Bonzi Wells is Chinese because he's playing in China? :oldlol:

the question would be, if an american guy makes a manga, would it be a japanese or an american comic? If a european guy makes a spiderman, would it be american or european comic?

we're discussing different schools of basketballs here, from that point of view ginobili is a european type of player while nowitzki is not

Euroleague
03-25-2011, 04:11 AM

Ethnically, Manu is Italian because he IS Italian genius.

DuMa
03-25-2011, 11:43 PM
who has dunked from the eurostep?

answer my own question

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saEtbXXpsdE

i think its an amazing move. even amazing that wade can dunk off it. i dont really see dunks from eurosteps very often.

Dwade305
03-26-2011, 01:02 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAXYSj-iVxw#t=1m36s My god that's facking ridiculous :oldlol:

OldSchoolBBall
03-26-2011, 01:05 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAXYSj-iVxw#t=1m36s My god that's facking ridiculous :oldlol:

That's almost definitely a travel. He took a third step.

Dwade305
03-26-2011, 01:09 AM
That's almost definitely a travel. He took a third step.
Travel??:oldlol: It's ok though, this is a one of a kind move,so just put hat shit in real slow mo, and then check if it's a travel. That last dribble is a quick one then he establishes his right foot, and back to the left

OldSchoolBBall
03-26-2011, 01:15 AM
Travel??:oldlol: It's ok though, this is a one of a kind move,so just put hat shit in real slow mo, and then check if it's a travel. That last dribble is a quick one then he establishes his right foot, and back to the left

You're right. I didnt see the dribble back to his right hand in real time (you can't see it because the defender's body is in the way behind Wade) and didnt watch the replay the first time I clicked on the link. Now I see the replay and it's clear he didn't travel.

whoartthou
03-26-2011, 01:23 AM

DAMN! WADEEE, made kobe look like a chymp

Heat007
03-26-2011, 01:33 AM
DAMN! WADEEE, made kobe look like a chymp

He always has ;-)

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=202491

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSBZ3YYaDl8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4vzv7NpRSE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DikQpH4MB5Y

I really hope for a Heat/Lakers Finals because Wade will make Kobe look absolutely ridiculous. Wade will totally embarrass him in front of tens of millions of viewers. No one takes Kobe's space away better than Wade when Wade defends him. And Wade consistently blows by Kobe like he's standing still. :oldlol:

jstern
03-26-2011, 01:40 AM
It's definitely not a new move, except that it's done in a more exaggerated fashion now, and that has made it much more popular. I like the move, I've been looking to incorporated into my game. The only thing is that it's kind of awkward looking to me personally. Not that aesthetically pleasing. Good, to look at in that it deceives the defense, but bad in that it looks awkward.

Kind of like the charging circle. It's serves a great purpose, but I love the way the NCAA games today looked without them.

lilojmayo
03-26-2011, 06:04 AM
Its a great movie, and looks incredibly simple, but obviously is much more difficult to pull off on a consistent and effective basis. You need outstanding body control and footwork to be able to fool your defenders often. A lot of people who try it in pick-up games, and shit the damn NBA, try it and they really just travel, but no one really calls that.

First to answer the OPs question Wade no doubt made the Euro Step common in most ball players at least guards move list at all levels of play ( whether they are correctly doing it or not is a different argument all together).

But Manu was at least the first NBA player I saw to use it on a consistent basis, but Wade took that move to another level

brownmamba00
03-26-2011, 07:44 AM
Heat fans :facepalm

hon
03-26-2011, 08:08 AM
Manu explanation with pick and roll
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gqx7OqmJpL8

If the move is popular, has it made its way into video games. Does the latest edition of EA or 2K have this move?

Bone Machine
03-26-2011, 08:14 AM
Maybe someone should inform Blake Griffin that this move exists :pimp:

You mean John Wall?

Christofire
03-26-2011, 08:17 AM
Wade didnt do anything for the euro step. However I think he did invent the spin travel.
you idiot.... travelling on those spin moves are dependent on when they player kills his dribble(placing two hands on the ball). Wade doesn't travel on his spin.

Find yourself a rulebook.