PDA

View Full Version : Clyde Frasier is the worst color commentator I ever heard

Nick Young
03-21-2011, 09:33 PM
Jesus christ this is the first time I ever heard Clyde Frasier commentate (i usually dont watch shit knicks basketball games) and goddamn what a goofy mother f*cker this guy is. he keeps trying to use big words but messes up the effect by using the same big word 3-4 times over and over.

He also in the first quarter said a variation of "the crowd is getting aroused" about 4 times in a two minute period.

Every stupid thing he says it sounds like he's giggling to himself laughing at his own latest dumb comment.

What the hell is wrong with this ***** did Bill Russel drop him on his head one too many times?

Optimus Prime
03-21-2011, 09:35 PM
You obviously haven't heard the Houston Rockets color team. Clyde Drexler is easily the worst homer announcer I have ever heard. The other color commentator they use sometimes isn't much better either.

IIRC, the Spurs announcing team is pretty bad as well. Walt Frazier is actually pretty good.

UtahJazzFan88
03-21-2011, 09:35 PM
I personally think he's pretty good, but whatever.

Spurs announcing team is the most annoying I've ever heard, NEVER heard a brodcasting crew that is so homerish to their team.

Ancient Legend
03-21-2011, 09:36 PM
Clyde is smoooooth. Swishin n Dishin!

Worst commentators are the the Celts/Blazers.

The Suns team might be the less biased ones.

Optimus Prime
03-21-2011, 09:37 PM

Spurs announcing team is the most annoying I've ever heard, NEVER heard a brodcasting crew that is so homerish to their team.

Spurs are pretty bad, but the Rockets are worst.

In order of horrible announcing teams:

1. Rockets
2. Spurs
3. Celtics

It's A VC3!!!
03-21-2011, 09:40 PM
Ian Eagle and Mike Fratello are the best commentators.

Property of the Nets.

iDunk
03-21-2011, 10:11 PM
Knicks have two of the best commentators. Clyde is smooth as hell, only true New York fans understand and admire the guys style.

Cavaliers, Celtics, and Raptors commentators are so annoying.

t-rex
03-21-2011, 10:14 PM
I actually found Frazier to be very entertaining. He was also balanced which is becoming increasingly rare for local color commentators.

As for homersim, there is no broadcast team in basketball that can touch the Celtics.

Tommy Point anyone?

ashbelly
03-21-2011, 10:15 PM
dude is funny.. stop with the hating.

bagelred
Jesus christ this is the first time I ever heard Clyde Frasier commentate (i usually dont watch shit knicks basketball games) and goddamn what a goofy mother f*cker this guy is. he keeps trying to use big words but messes up the effect by using the same big word 3-4 times over and over.

He also in the first quarter said a variation of "the crowd is getting aroused" about 4 times in a two minute period.

Every stupid thing he says it sounds like he's giggling to himself laughing at his own latest dumb comment.

What the hell is wrong with this ***** did Bill Russel drop him on his head one too many times?

You are definitely not starting to percolate.

Colby Brian
spurs announcers suck, i think instead of saying pau gasol, they said pau gasoft, and they kept calling lamar odom, lamar kardashian, plus everytime the spurs scored, they sounded like the spurs hit a gamewinner

Nick Young
03-21-2011, 10:16 PM
Yeah I take it back Clyde you grew on me, the first quarter I was like who is this try-hard wannabe Bill Walton but by the 4th I was like damn this is one cool guy

mcrd101
03-21-2011, 10:17 PM
I don't mind him. Sometimes though he tries too hard. He always sounds like hes smiling as he talks.

AirGauge23
03-21-2011, 10:18 PM
Miami Heat announcers are up there with the best. No homerism at all. Very impartial.

t-rex
03-21-2011, 10:19 PM
Miami Heat announcers are up there with the best. No homerism at all. Very impartial.

Agreed. The Heat announcers pull for the home team without the blatant homersim. They are a very good broadcast team.

Rekindled
03-21-2011, 10:20 PM
Yeah I take it back Clyde you grew on me, the first quarter I was like who is this try-hard wannabe Bill Walton but by the 4th I was like damn this is one cool guy

wtf? clyde has been announcing knicks games before Walton was still in his diapers

DStebb716
03-21-2011, 10:20 PM
Ian Eagle and Mike Fratello are the best commentators.

Property of the Nets.

I stopped watching the Nets when Vince left. Never knew that Marv Albert no longer did their games.

b1imtf
03-21-2011, 10:22 PM
I don't like the main Lakers guy...

Geezer
03-21-2011, 10:22 PM
what Frazier actually says is pretty good but GOD his voice is horrible for a colour commentator :\

Hulk Hogan
03-21-2011, 10:23 PM

In before SinJackal...

Kingsfans818
03-21-2011, 10:23 PM

I don't like either of them..they're not specifically bad ..but they're no Ralph Lawler & Mike Smith

Scholar
03-21-2011, 10:24 PM
spurs announcers suck, i think instead of saying pau gasol, they said pau gasoft, and they kept calling lamar odom, lamar kardashian, plus everytime the spurs scored, they sounded like the spurs hit a gamewinner

I noticed that, too.
Biggest team homers I've ever heard any commentators be.

flipogb
03-21-2011, 10:24 PM
Cavs commentator is the dumbest , biggest homers are Blazers announcers

Scholar
03-21-2011, 10:25 PM

Joel Myers and Stu Lantz are cool. They'll actually point out when the Lakers make a terrible mistake, instead of making it clear that they don't think LAL could do any wrong.

Sarcastic
03-21-2011, 10:26 PM

That's cuz you have no swag, and are too dumb to realize how much of a pimp Clyde is.

http://www.slamonline.com/online/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/clyde-frazier-slam-42.jpg

flipogb
03-21-2011, 10:28 PM
Joel Myers and Stu Lantz are cool. They'll actually point out when the Lakers make a terrible mistake, instead of making it clear that they don't think LAL could do any wrong.
yeah Stu almost goes too much on the non-homer side, but hes great and I would never want him to be replaced. he likes the post game and always says some interesting things about fundamentals and all that suff

Optimus Prime
03-21-2011, 10:29 PM

Lakers announcers are the best, and I'm not just saying that as a Lakers fan. They give the Lakers grief constantly when they're playing poorly. I'd say the best announcing teams are:

1. Lakers
2. Heat
3. Knicks

flipogb
03-21-2011, 10:29 PM
That's cuz you have no swag, and are too dumb to realize how much of a pimp Clyde is.

http://www.slamonline.com/online/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/clyde-frazier-slam-42.jpg
2011 version

http://www.upscalehype.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Carmelo-Anthony-Burberry-Prorsum-Trench-Coat-Green-Spring-2011.jpg

Nets fan 93
03-21-2011, 10:31 PM

i lol'd
:oldlol: :roll:

I can't stand the dude either.

I stopped watching the Nets when Vince left. Never knew that Marv Albert no longer did their games.
He didn't.
Spanarkle is still around as well. Mark Jackson left though. Thats when Fratello came in.

flipogb
Lakers announcers are the best, and I'm not just saying that as a Lakers fan. They give the Lakers grief constantly when they're playing poorly. I'd say the best announcing teams are:

1. Lakers
2. Heat
3. Knicks

I don't know if Heat group is great, but Its a nice surprise that they aren't notorious homers

Mr. Incredible
Op= Hater. Carry on.

Optimus Prime
03-21-2011, 10:32 PM
I don't know if Heat group is great, but Its a nice surprise that they aren't notorious homers

Heat announcers are pretty good from the few times I've heard them. They are pretty fair and unbiased, and they aren't huge annoying homers like most teams out there (cough SPURS cough ROCKETS COUGH CELTICS).

SleepyCorpse
03-21-2011, 11:00 PM
I like the Bucks announcers as good as any i've heard.

jstern
03-21-2011, 11:04 PM
I've been listening to clyde sinnce his wfan days on the radio. He's good, it's just Clyde. He's not trying to be anyone, it's his same personality as always. Back in 97 I used to turn off the volume for the knicks game and listen to clyde on the radio.

raptorfan_dr07
03-21-2011, 11:08 PM
yeah Stu almost goes too much on the non-homer side, but hes great and I would never want him to be replaced. he likes the post game and always says some interesting things about fundamentals and all that suff

Yeah Stu Lantz is one of the best in the business. He learned from the best(Chick Hearn). However, Joel Meyers is very bad. I remember the game last year when Kobe became the Lakers all time leader in points scored. Joel Meyers immediately tried to call him the greatest Laker ever and Stu Lantz immediately put him in his place. It was hilarious. In last night's game against Portland, there was a play where LaMarcus Aldridge scored easily on Gasol and Joel Meyers tried to insinuate that it was because Gasol was fouled. Stu Lantz right away said it was because Gasol didn't move his feet defensively. He also kept saying stupid sh*t about the Heat earlier in the year. Stu Lantz didn't respond and I could only imagine the look on his face. I think Joel Meyers would be much worse if Stu Lantz wasn't around to keep him in check. He makes stupid comments here and there and is ready to blow his load every time Kobe does something like the majority of this forum. Stu Lantz, while giving praise, always keeps things in the proper perspective.

From what I've listened to, the Spurs announcers are pretty bad. Sean Elliot is way too homerish for me. Chicago's duo of Stacey King and Neil Funk, I find to be rather annoying. And yes, Tommy Heinsohn may be a big Celtic homer, but you also have to understand his perspective at times. He played in an era when physical contact was allowed, when p*ssy fouls didn't dominate the league. He doesn't like seeing this current "pussification" of the NBA. He comes from a different time.

The_Yearning
03-21-2011, 11:12 PM
Dude is funny. I was cracking up when Big Baby was laying on the ground after Melo supposedly elbowed him..."They better call a time out...Big Baby is in the lane call a 3 secs!"

NewYorkNoPicks
03-22-2011, 12:32 AM
You kidding me? He's one of the most entertaining commentators in the entire league.

HE HAS HIS OWN BOOK PUBLISHED ON HIS VOCUBULARY AND USE OF WORDS. So how are you going to tell me nobody likes the guy if he has a damn book published?

He comes up with a bunch of his catch phrases on the spot, he's impartial, and occassionally will add an interesting tidbit from something he did in the 70's.

Interesting guy, humble, positive, upbeat, can put you in a good mood, easily one of the best commentators in the league.

che guevara
03-22-2011, 12:35 AM
You obviously haven't heard the Houston Rockets color team. Clyde Drexler is easily the worst homer announcer I have ever heard. The other color commentator they use sometimes isn't much better either.

IIRC, the Spurs announcing team is pretty bad as well. Walt Frazier is actually pretty good.
Yeah, the Rockets announcers are the worst in the league, I can't stand listening to them. They used to be even worse, the guy who used to do color before Drexler was unspeakably bad.

RecSpecs110
03-22-2011, 01:05 AM
I like him as a commentator simply because he's not a homer. He and Mike Breen are completely fair to the opposing team, even though both are obviously Knicks fans.

Some commentators are so bad, they sound like fans right off the street. Complaining about every call that doesn't go their way. Screaming whenever their team scores and whispering whenever the opposing team does. I wonder why they even get paid. Pay me, I can do that.

wang4three
03-22-2011, 01:06 AM
**** you. Walt Clyde's the man after Gus Johnson.

alwaysunny
03-22-2011, 01:09 AM
**** you. Walt Clyde's the man after Gus Johnson.
Gus isn't a color commentator

SevereUpInHere
03-22-2011, 01:20 AM
Clyde is awesome, and like lots of people have said the guy is completely impartial. He has no problem pointing out what we're doing wrong as a team and if we have a bad call in our favour he will make a point of saying it's a bad call.

Did someone really say the Bucks guys are good? is it still these 2 guys? This is crazy homerism. MISS IT!! Sorry for bringing Kobe into a thread

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAbHoiowvaQ

AMISTILLILL
03-22-2011, 01:21 AM
Heat and Grizzlies have the worst commentators ever. Fact.

PS: One of the Heat commentators sounds like a Grant Napear, the Sacramento Kings commentator, but with a New York accent. It's eerie.

Honorable mention: That "comic relief" third wheel guy on Dallas Mavericks broadcasts is so ****ing obnoxious.

Rekindled
03-22-2011, 01:23 AM
Gus isn't a color commentator

he used to do knicks games, he was fired like year ago

alwaysunny
03-22-2011, 01:26 AM
he used to do knicks games, he was fired like year ago
I know he did it as a play-by-play commentator, but was he ever a color commentator?

UtahJazzFan88
03-22-2011, 01:29 AM
Nets have the best with Marv, Ian Eagle, and The Czar.

I like Joel Myers and Stu Lantz as well. The Kings guys are decent as well.

Stuckey
03-22-2011, 01:31 AM
chuck swirsky and jack Armstrong are the best

onions baby onions

Penny37
03-22-2011, 01:33 AM
And yes, Tommy Heinsohn may be a big Celtic homer, but you also have to understand his perspective at times. He played in an era when physical contact was allowed, when p*ssy fouls didn't dominate the league. He doesn't like seeing this current "pussification" of the NBA. He comes from a different time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQLMEDlFnV4

Watch that and then try to repeat what you just said with a straight face.

Tommy Heinsohn is by far the worst I've heard.

alwaysunny
03-22-2011, 01:33 AM
chuck swirsky and jack Armstrong are the best

onions baby onions
Is that the guy who says "sick wicked and nasty"?

KevinNYC
03-22-2011, 02:23 AM
Some phrases to use at your next dinner party. Impress the boss.

dishing and swishing"
* "swooping and hooping"
* "bounding and astounding"
* "movin' and groovin'"
* "out-muscling and out-hustling"
* "shaking and baking"
* "spinning and winning"
* "posting and toasting"
* "stumbling and bumbling"
* "banking and thanking"
* "hustling and muscling"
* "slicing and dicing!"
* "huffing and puffing"
* "stopping and popping"
* "hanging and banging"
* "It don't mean a thing, If you don't have that swing"
* "The court is 50 feet wide, not wide enough for Houston"
* "[insert player here] beginning to percolate"
* "all the Knicks with the knack tonight"
* "matador D"

"Out-muscling and out-hustling"

"The Hawks have been persistent, but the Knicks have been resistent"

"Abdur-Rahim with fire and desire"

Clutch
03-22-2011, 02:48 AM
Some phrases to use at your next dinner party. Impress the boss.

dishing and swishing"
* "swooping and hooping"
* "bounding and astounding"
* "movin' and groovin'"
* "out-muscling and out-hustling"
* "shaking and baking"
* "spinning and winning"
* "posting and toasting"
* "stumbling and bumbling"
* "banking and thanking"
* "hustling and muscling"
* "slicing and dicing!"
* "huffing and puffing"
* "stopping and popping"
* "hanging and banging"
* "It don't mean a thing, If you don't have that swing"
* "The court is 50 feet wide, not wide enough for Houston"
* "[insert player here] beginning to percolate"
* "all the Knicks with the knack tonight"
* "matador D"

"Out-muscling and out-hustling"

"The Hawks have been persistent, but the Knicks have been resistent"

"Abdur-Rahim with fire and desire"

Clyde :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

icewill36
03-22-2011, 02:53 AM
spurs and heat are two of the worst

clyde is one of the best IMO....

BRB.... postin and toastin

swishin and dishin

spinnin and winnin

VEXING D!!!!

kentatm
03-22-2011, 03:01 AM
The Mavs announcers do a pretty good job of staying neutral. This is especially true when we are not forced to hear the newer 3rd announcer Jeff "Skin" Wade prattle on.

The Heat and Lakers have pretty solid announcers too if you prefer teams that are not massive homers.

The worst IMO are Spurs, Rockets and Celtics. I didn't think much of the Orlando guys the few times I have heard them. They seem to not give other teams much credit.

03-22-2011, 03:05 AM
I did get a kick out of him trying to use a word he didn't seem to even understand every sentence, lots of them made absolutely no sense

bdreason
03-22-2011, 03:09 AM
Spurs and Celtics announcers are definition of homers.

MooseJuiceBowen
03-22-2011, 03:21 AM

LOL
thats why we love them

UwishUhadWall
03-22-2011, 03:30 AM
Steve Buckhantz and Phil Chenier. DC legends.

Dagger mother****ers.

Shame the Wiz suck so much. They deserve better.

BallPhunk
03-22-2011, 04:03 AM

Someone would like to say hello...

http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Globe_Photo/2005/01/13/1105639399_9928.jpg
HELLO!!!!!!!

flipogb
03-22-2011, 04:27 AM
The Mavs announcers do a pretty good job of staying neutral. This is especially true when we are not forced to hear the newer 3rd announcer Jeff "Skin" Wade prattle on.

The Heat and Lakers have pretty solid announcers too if you prefer teams that are not massive homers.

The worst IMO are Spurs, Rockets and Celtics. I didn't think much of the Orlando guys the few times I have heard them. They seem to not give other teams much credit.
Mavs announcers are good too, they describe whats going on in detail and kind of sound like football announcers. I don't watch football really but thats what I thought when I heard them

flipogb
03-22-2011, 04:30 AM
Yeah Stu Lantz is one of the best in the business. He learned from the best(Chick Hearn). However, Joel Meyers is very bad. I remember the game last year when Kobe became the Lakers all time leader in points scored. Joel Meyers immediately tried to call him the greatest Laker ever and Stu Lantz immediately put him in his place. It was hilarious. In last night's game against Portland, there was a play where LaMarcus Aldridge scored easily on Gasol and Joel Meyers tried to insinuate that it was because Gasol was fouled. Stu Lantz right away said it was because Gasol didn't move his feet defensively. He also kept saying stupid sh*t about the Heat earlier in the year. Stu Lantz didn't respond and I could only imagine the look on his face. I think Joel Meyers would be much worse if Stu Lantz wasn't around to keep him in check. He makes stupid comments here and there and is ready to blow his load every time Kobe does something like the majority of this forum. Stu Lantz, while giving praise, always keeps things in the proper perspective.

From what I've listened to, the Spurs announcers are pretty bad. Sean Elliot is way too homerish for me. Chicago's duo of Stacey King and Neil Funk, I find to be rather annoying. And yes, Tommy Heinsohn may be a big Celtic homer, but you also have to understand his perspective at times. He played in an era when physical contact was allowed, when p*ssy fouls didn't dominate the league. He doesn't like seeing this current "pussification" of the NBA. He comes from a different time.

Joel is a homer, he doesn't have any original phrases nor does he make the game sound exciting but hes decent and I got used to listening to him

NY-Knicks
03-22-2011, 04:57 AM
Spurs and Celtics announcers are definition of homers.

Yeah, they're horrible. I prefer to press mute whenever they're on, or the Cavs announcers.

Soundwave
03-22-2011, 05:18 AM
The Celtics commentators are such homers it's basically funny to watch.

They're about 1 step removed from being SNL characters.

ballerz
03-22-2011, 05:24 AM
i love listening to the celtics announcers there massive homers

Clutch
03-22-2011, 06:10 AM
Yeah, they're horrible. I prefer to press mute whenever they're on, or the Cavs announcers.
I hate Cavs announcers :oldlol:

And it's not because they beat us 3 times this season.
I don't like those guys.

SATAN
03-01-2023, 10:28 PM
Michael Cage sucks.

So does Stacy King.

Also The Raptors (particularly that idiot who screams "Hello!" all the time) and Warriors commentators.

They all suck.

FultzNationRISE
03-01-2023, 11:11 PM
Never understood why people care if a team’s broadcasters are bias. Theyre employed by the team (or the network the team is contracted with). And most of the audience are local fans of the team.

Like why would it bother you if theyre rooting for the team they work for. It’s not a national TV game. It’s the local broadcast. Who cares??