PDA

View Full Version : How is Paul Pierce such a good player???

KB2clutch
03-21-2011, 10:34 PM
honestly he might be the least athletic staring sf in the league and his handles are that exceptional for a sf either, yet hes able to penetrate at almost an elite level. He has no elevation on his release and is one of the slower releases in the league yet he is still able to knock j's on everyone. Whats his secret? Is there something that im missing that seperates him from the other sf in the league? I would say hes the 4th best sf in the league at the moment behind lebron, durant and melo

DonCorleone
03-21-2011, 10:35 PM
Because he is successful.

Real Men Wear Green
03-21-2011, 10:36 PM
Because he is successful.
And also good at basketball.

t-rex
03-21-2011, 10:38 PM
honestly he might be the least athletic staring sf in the league and his handles are that exceptional for a sf either, yet hes able to penetrate at almost an elite level. He has no elevation on his release and is one of the slower releases in the league yet he is still able to knock j's on everyone. Whats his secret? Is there something that im missing that seperates him from the other sf in the league? I would say hes the 4th best sf in the league at the moment behind lebron, durant and melo

This is going to sound stupid and cliche

Timofey Mozgov
03-21-2011, 10:39 PM
Melo's not really that athletic either. He had like a max vertical of 33" in the pre-draft. Kobe's athletic but not THAT much more athletic than Pierce. Athleticism is overrated as shown by the careers of McGrady and Carter.

Tlova
03-21-2011, 10:40 PM
Basketball IQ and dude is extremely deceptive, i've seen him play up close and his hesitation and in & out moves are serious.

iDunk
03-21-2011, 10:40 PM
Playing in the wheelchair league really upped his play. The famous touted coach, Stephen Hawking using his "melting" method to teach Pierce the moves he knows now has really appeared in his play lately and its just amazing how his game has just been altered. The way Pierce yells when he is driving towards the rim is customary of the "melting" method, therefore it allows Pierce to go to the free throw line or get the ball to magically go through the goal.

May all props go to Stephen Hawking for teaching Paul Pierce how to play the game of basketball.

Dwade305
03-21-2011, 10:41 PM
Since he came into the league PP has had one of the quickest first steps.

and slowest 2nd step

GiveItToBurrito

He's an elite shooter, high basketball iq, better defender than he has a right to be, he's tall, and that herky jerk style is actually a lot more difficult to do than you'd think (requires incredible balance and body control). Being able to score is impressive enough, but I'm still shocked that he's a good defender at his age and after all of the minutes he's played, especially earlier in his career.

Rysio
practice.

Replay32
03-21-2011, 10:45 PM
Paul Pierce is the Truth. He's always been good at basketball. High School, College and the Pros. And his handles at the SF position is above average.

He's one of Inglewood's finest :rockon: and a Hall of Famer.

eliteballer
03-21-2011, 10:47 PM
Melo's not really that athletic either.

:roll:

JGXEN
03-21-2011, 10:49 PM
Playing in the wheelchair league really upped his play. The famous touted coach, Stephen Hawking using his "melting" method to teach Pierce the moves he knows now has really appeared in his play lately and its just amazing how his game has just been altered. The way Pierce yells when he is driving towards the rim is customary of the "melting" method, therefore it allows Pierce to go to the free throw line or get the ball to magically go through the goal.

May all props go to Stephen Hawking for teaching Paul Pierce how to play the game of basketball.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_mOkHryM2QKc/TQpGsodw6AI/AAAAAAAADqk/63AoYTkR_qE/s1600/500x_celticsknicks.jpg

MayCeltics
03-21-2011, 10:51 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_mOkHryM2QKc/TQpGsodw6AI/AAAAAAAADqk/63AoYTkR_qE/s1600/500x_celticsknicks.jpg
:bowdown: :bowdown:

Meticode
03-21-2011, 10:51 PM
And also good at basketball.
And also he can see.

CelticBaller
03-21-2011, 10:52 PM
Playing in the wheelchair league really upped his play. The famous touted coach, Stephen Hawking using his "melting" method to teach Pierce the moves he knows now has really appeared in his play lately and its just amazing how his game has just been altered. The way Pierce yells when he is driving towards the rim is customary of the "melting" method, therefore it allows Pierce to go to the free throw line or get the ball to magicaly go through the goal.

Someone's mad that paul pierce shits on the knicks. I would've loved to see your reaction to reggie :oldlol: :rolleyes:

stephanieg
03-21-2011, 10:53 PM
He always sounds like he smokes 5 packs a day too.

iDunk
03-21-2011, 10:54 PM
http://i53.tinypic.com/10nyoly.jpg

Mr. I'm So Rad
It's called skill. Even in his younger days when he had the athleticism he never really relied on it like a lot of other guys today. He knows the game and plays with a guy in Rondo that knows when and where to get him the ball. He's just a beast

ballup
http://i53.tinypic.com/10nyoly.jpg
http://iamhilarious.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/butt-hurt.jpg

Mr. I'm So Rad
03-21-2011, 10:55 PM

:oldlol:

this

Replay32
03-21-2011, 10:55 PM
Someone's mad that paul pierce shits on the knicks. I would've loved to see your reactin to reggie :oldlol: :rolleyes:

Everybody shits on the knicks. Especially in this era of basketball. PP, MJ, Kobe, Lebron etc. This is nothing new. The knicks haven't won a title since Phil Jackson played for them. :lol

jstern
03-21-2011, 10:56 PM
Not being from the 80s I wondered similar things about Bird, so I studied his game on yoytube and I understood.

TrueRob
03-21-2011, 10:56 PM
Polished mid-range game, pull-up J, step-back J, off-screens. 3 point shooter. Good finisher. He's just an incredibly skilled basketball player.

MayCeltics
03-21-2011, 10:57 PM
Not being from the 80s I wondered similar things about Bird, so I studied his game on yoytube and I understood.

The Legend will be proud :bowdown:

http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/4616/paulpiercet.jpg

ballerz
03-21-2011, 11:28 PM
good footwork, great shooter and great fundamentals plus he is THE TRUTH

Sampsonsimpson
03-21-2011, 11:31 PM
Its because he is very fundmentally sound. Think of him almost as the Tim Duncan of wing players. Whereas his peers likr Carter, T-Mac, Iverson relied more on athleticism (Not to say thats all their games were based around) Pierce always seemed to a little more by the book and fundamental i.e. jumpshot, moving off screens, footwork, post moves.

The_Yearning
03-21-2011, 11:42 PM
Cause he's the TRUTH.

whoartthou
03-21-2011, 11:44 PM

Ask kobe and the lakers, they can tell you something about that!
:roll:

NBASTATMAN
03-21-2011, 11:49 PM

His footwork, his body size helps, and he has long arms to go with a good shooting stroke, a good handle and toughness as well as not being scared of any other players.. That is why he ***** slaps kobe one day and then does it to lebron the next...

He also knows how to keep his opponent off balance.. Mj was the master of getting space but Pierce is very good at it as well... They used to call that CRAFTY... He is crafty is pretty muCH THE ANSWEr..

PP34Deuce
03-21-2011, 11:51 PM
O please....so sick of being underrated pierce athletiscm...

Hes very strong..pretty quick...very average speed but he leaps quick. Hes an nba caliber athlete with amazing skills.

Defensively he has great iq and a 7 0 wingspan at close to 6 7.

PP34Deuce
03-21-2011, 11:56 PM
Isnt pierce left handed and shoots right handed? That can cUse fits with his skill...

XxSMSxX
03-21-2011, 11:57 PM
His footwork, his body size helps, and he has long arms to go with a good shooting stroke, a good handle and toughness as well as not being scared of any other players.. That is why he ***** slaps kobe one day and then does it to lebron the next...

He also knows how to keep his opponent off balance.. Mj was the master of getting space but Pierce is very good at it as well... They used to call that CRAFTY... He is crafty is pretty muCH THE ANSWEr..

That's one of the things i love about his game he is very, very good at getting space for his midrange jumper:bowdown:

623baller
03-22-2011, 01:02 AM
he is deceptive

you talked about his slow release, yea but if you go for the block he'll put the ball down on the floor and blow by you, and if you try to block him he'll simply jump into you to get free throws, if you dont contest, he'll make the 3 on you

he is not a great ball handler but his size and strength makes him a great mid range post up player, all he need to do is get the ball some where around the top of the key then it's money

the_wise_one
03-22-2011, 01:54 AM

Your avatar and your user name indicate that you are an idiot. No wonder you asked this retarded question.

BoxOutBOXOUT
03-22-2011, 02:00 AM
Why are so many of you being ***** to the OP? He asked an honest question that wasn't offensive in the least, even to the most unapologetic Celtic nutjobs, yet you cvnts are talking sh*t.

That's all you dumb Bawston cvnts are good for anyway. You talk a big game and then choke every time it counts. Have fun fawning over your 3rd rate star. Build him a statue in front of your sh*tty arena. You might as well do it now since you ain't winning any more rings with that cast of senior-citizen has-beens. Good riddance, knob-gobblers.

HighFlyer23
03-22-2011, 02:05 AM
Has to be that step back

Dude is also a smart offensive player

scm5
03-22-2011, 02:08 AM

hahahahahahah

is this a picture from tonight's game?

am i the only one that notices what the hell KG is doing in the background?!?!?!

OMFG, that shit is hilarious.

jdm_dc_fan
03-22-2011, 02:13 AM
hahahahahahah

am i the only one that notices what the hell KG is doing in the background?!?!?!

Nate is no longer with the c's is a give away. :roll:

scm5
03-22-2011, 02:15 AM
Nate is no longer with the c's is a give away. :roll:

haha totally didn't register in my head.

ohhhh man, this picture had me in tears. KG bowing like that is just ridiculous to me.

Assassin
03-22-2011, 02:16 AM
hahahahahahah

That was like 3 months ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyHu6qvpG-k

KevinNYC
03-22-2011, 02:16 AM
O please....so sick of being underrated pierce athletiscm...

Hes very strong..pretty quick...very average speed but he leaps quick. Hes an nba caliber athlete with amazing skills.

It's amazing how often people forget about strength when they talk about athleticism. With basketball, you want excellent core strength, because then you can move body into contorted shapes but still stay balanced.

Also folks on ISH don't realize how important deception is. Pierce often lulls his man into sleep and changes speed or direction.

PP34Deuce
03-22-2011, 02:22 AM
Exactly..pierces release is so unique tho. Its not really a slow release...he just doesnt snap thru like rays..i remember people bashing on me when I said next to kobe hes the most skilled swingmen

DDensity
03-22-2011, 02:35 AM
Also folks on ISH don't realize how important deception is. Pierce often lulls his man into sleep and changes speed or direction.

His defender isn't the only one sleeping. That's why none of us even know how he does it. We get bored watching him, turn away and see that he's scored.

lefthook00
03-22-2011, 02:35 AM
Skills pay the bills.

Tlova
03-22-2011, 02:37 AM
Why are so many of you being ***** to the OP? He asked an honest question that wasn't offensive in the least, even to the most unapologetic Celtic nutjobs, yet you cvnts are talking sh*t.

That's all you dumb Bawston cvnts are good for anyway. You talk a big game and then choke every time it counts. Have fun fawning over your 3rd rate star. Build him a statue in front of your sh*tty arena. You might as well do it now since you ain't winning any more rings with that cast of senior-citizen has-beens. Good riddance, knob-gobblers.
Your team almost lost to them grumpy old men with HCA, thanks the refs.
Why are you so mad, pierce does want you as a fan.
http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff398/fallisbliss/stan-1.jpg
Also why you trolling in a celtic thread?
http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/aa329/girlinthegarden/yourealmadoprah.gif

BoxOutBOXOUT
03-22-2011, 03:29 AM
Your team almost lost to them grumpy old men with HCA, thanks the refs.
Keep living in almosts, loser. Your team is done. Enjoy the 1 title in 30+ years you guys managed to buy. "Storied franchise"? LOL. All you Celtic losers can do is live in the past. The Lakers are here and now. They're competitive IN EVERY ERA. Go ahead and keep crying yourself to sleep with your almosts, loser.

JohnnySic
03-22-2011, 07:03 AM
First off, PP is not a 2 like Kobe, TMac, Vince, etc. He is a 3, so it stands to reason that his game will be different and look different.

And PP is very athletic compared to most 3's. How do you judge athleticism? Jumping high, that's it? PP is stronger than most 3's and certainly more so than the above mentioned 2's.

JohnnySic
03-22-2011, 07:04 AM
Keep living in almosts, loser. Your team is done. Enjoy the 1 title in 30+ years you guys managed to buy. "Storied franchise"? LOL. All you Celtic losers can do is live in the past. The Lakers are here and now. They're competitive IN EVERY ERA. Go ahead and keep crying yourself to sleep with your almosts, loser.
http://cheezesammich0711.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/freeman-he-mad.jpg

DeronMillsap
03-22-2011, 08:03 AM
This is going to sound stupid and cliche… but Pierce is the master of position, balance and angles.

I've often wondered about this myself. His game is strange. There is really nobody I have ever watched who his skills quite compare too.:confusedshrug:
His style of play looks like Ron Artest but it's very effective like a top wingman unlike Ron Ron's shitty offensive game. Same style but very different results.

He probably has the best back-to-the-basket game in the league. Very versatile with it; can hit a fadeaway from the wings and baseline or spin and drive to the rim or do a jazz-step side jumper.

KB2clutch
03-22-2011, 08:43 AM
just cuz pierce is overweight does not mean hes strong, however he may be stronger than most small forwards but that doesnt make up for his disadvantage in terms of speed, quickness and ups

Bigsmoke
03-22-2011, 08:47 AM
he can always shoot the ball.

Real Men Wear Green
03-22-2011, 09:21 AM
just cuz pierce is overweight does not mean hes strong, however he may be stronger than most small forwards but that doesnt make up for his disadvantage in terms of speed, quickness and ups
Have you ever even played ball in a YMCA league? I've seen few posters demonstrate such a lack of knowledge about basketball. And you compound it by having no observational skills. The average NBA sf is not faster, quicker, or a better leaper than Paul Pierce. Pierce is in his 30s and still getting plenty of dunks in traffic. You don't routinely beat your man to the basket if you don't have some explosion. It's like you can't seem to notice the athletic advantages of a guy unless he's as explosive as James or Rose. There are levels of athletic ability between Vince Carter and Brian Scalibrine, whether you realize this or not. Add in the major skills that Pierce has acquired, his excellent balance, footwork, ballhandling, shooting ability and yes, intelligence and for those of us that see him regularly it's not a shock that he's still got game. Danny Ainge, over two contracts ago, said "Paul has one of those excellent basketball bodies that will enable him to play for a long time." Basically, he's got a lot of skill and he was built for the game. Not built like LeBron James, but still having a good body for an NBA player.

OhNoTimNoSho
03-22-2011, 09:27 AM
People have a gross misunderstanding of what athleticism is if they think paul pierce is unathletic. Just because he doesn't have ridiculous slams doesn't mean hes not athletic. A person of hes size and strength to have such quickness and footspeed alone makes him one of the NBAs top athletes... Like Igoudala for example has highlight slams daily but can't change direction for shit which makes him like 50% less effective on offense. Besides that his IQ and ability to read angles is at an elite level.

Yall need to step your bball knowledge asking questions like this.

AlexanderRight
03-22-2011, 11:51 AM

http://s-ak.buzzfed.com/static/imagebuzz/web03/2011/2/18/15/u-mad-11518-1298062748-1.jpg

STATUTORY
03-22-2011, 11:55 AM
Have you ever even played ball in a YMCA league? I've seen few posters demonstrate such a lack of knowledge about basketball. And you compound it by having no observational skills. The average NBA sf is not faster, quicker, or a better leaper than Paul Pierce. Pierce is in his 30s and still getting plenty of dunks in traffic. You don't routinely beat your man to the basket if you don't have some explosion. It's like you can't seem to notice the athletic advantages of a guy unless he's as explosive as James or Rose. There are levels of athletic ability between Vince Carter and Brian Scalibrine, whether you realize this or not. Add in the major skills that Pierce has acquired, his excellent balance, footwork, ballhandling, shooting ability and yes, intelligence and for those of us that see him regularly it's not a shock that he's still got game. Danny Ainge, over two contracts ago, said "Paul has one of those excellent basketball bodies that will enable him to play for a long time." Basically, he's got a lot of skill and he was built for the game. Not built like LeBron James, but still having a good body for an NBA player.

you are talking about the prime Paul Pierce right?

Average SF in the league is much more athletic, by any dimension of athleticism, than Paul Pierce is right now.

Paul Pierce gets outrun by a dribbling Joachim Noah.

SF is probably the most ahlete filled position in the league. You don't need to have great dribbling or shooting ability to play the 3 usually. Most 3s are slashers

olddangerfield
03-22-2011, 12:00 PM
lol those "u mad" pictures never get old. Every one is golden and just as funny as the next. I don't think I've ever seen a bad "u mad" picture. You can pretty much put "u mad" on any picture and have it be absolutely hilarious.

The person who invented those pictures should get a plaque.

olddangerfield
03-22-2011, 12:06 PM

Couldn't be more true. If there was still rep I'd rep you for this one, and I rarely care about rep anyways.

I hate how certain posters on here routinely throw in the word scrub like half the NBA is filled with scrubs. I'd see stuff like Lebron and scrubs vs Lakers, or something like that. Well every one of those scrubs can play basketball an exponential amount of times better than, is an exponential amount of times more athletic than you and knows exponentially more about basketball than you.

Even the players that seem like they have a terrible set of skills (stone hands, terrible handles, poor FT shooting) is exponentially better than even the average high school player at those. Nearly very player who's played in the NBA has been the man of a high school team and has been highly sought after by a major college program. And nearly every player has gone on to perform at those college programs to be one of a very small % of those D1 college players to be selected into the league.

Players like Scalabrine would dominant 99% of the posters on insidehoops on every level on the basketball court. Players like Ben Wallace or Shaq would destroy 99% of the posters on insidehoops in a shooting contest.

cteach111
03-22-2011, 12:14 PM
I hate how certain posters on here routinely throw in the word scrub like half the NBA is filled with scrubs. I'd see stuff like Lebron and scrubs vs Lakers, or something like that. Well every one of those scrubs can play basketball an exponential amount of times better than, is an exponential amount of times more athletic than you and knows exponentially more about basketball than you.

Relatively speaking, the NBA is full of scrubs. every team has them :facepalm .

BoxOutBOXOUT
03-22-2011, 01:42 PM
lol those "u mad" pictures never get old. Every one is golden and just as funny as the next. I don't think I've ever seen a bad "u mad" picture. You can pretty much put "u mad" on any picture and have it be absolutely hilarious.

The person who invented those pictures should get a plaque.
The "U Mad" pictures are actually pretty lame. They're just another internet meme that's abused to hell by dimwitted mimicking idiots who are too stupid to even understand the humor behind them.

The welfare-baby human refuse on ISH uses them whenever they don't agree with someone. I could make a totally innocuous statement like "The Knicks really played poorly last night" and I'll be flooded with a bunch of idiots posting "U MAD?" pictures. Har-har-har... Hilarious!

Check my earlier posts in the thread. Am I mad? Why the f*ck would I be? My team has 5 titles and 7 championship appearances in the past decade alone. They've won it all the past 2 years and are on their way to winning it all again this year. What possible reason would I have to be mad about a fat, bucktoothed, flopper and his bvtthvrt fans? The Celtics have nothing I covet. It's the other way around. Celtic fans mad, and they can suck my hairy LA d*ck.

[Clueless morons posting more "U MAD?" pics in 5... 4... 3... ]

Ariza4three
03-22-2011, 01:46 PM
^ Did this guy just go on a 3 paragraph rant trying to explain that he isn't mad? :oldlol:

Classic.

JohnnySic
03-22-2011, 01:57 PM
The "U Mad" pictures are actually pretty lame. They're just another internet meme that's abused to hell by dimwitted mimicking idiots who are too stupid to even understand the humor behind them.

The welfare-baby human refuse on ISH uses them whenever they don't agree with someone. I could make a totally innocuous statement like "The Knicks really played poorly last night" and I'll be flooded with a bunch of idiots posting "U MAD?" pictures. Har-har-har... Hilarious!

Check my earlier posts in the thread. Am I mad? Why the f*ck would I be? My team has 5 titles and 7 championship appearances in the past decade alone. They've won it all the past 2 years and are on their way to winning it all again this year. What possible reason would I have to be mad about a fat, bucktoothed, flopper and his bvtthvrt fans? The Celtics have nothing I covet. It's the other way around. Celtic fans mad, and they can suck my hairy LA d*ck.

2 Things:

1.) Pride comes before the fall.

2):

http://files.sharenator.com/Troll_Face_U_MAD_RE_wrestling_1-s407x405-126802.jpg

Real Men Wear Green
03-22-2011, 03:46 PM
you are talking about the prime Paul Pierce right?

Average SF in the league is much more athletic, by any dimension of athleticism, than Paul Pierce is right now.

Paul Pierce gets outrun by a dribbling Joachim Noah.

SF is probably the most ahlete filled position in the league. You don't need to have great dribbling or shooting ability to play the 3 usually. Most 3s are slashers
1: This very season Pierce is 15th among SFs in dunks, and he does this as a guy who creates much of his own offense. He's a very good athlete, just not at the level as a leaper of guys like James, Josh Smith, etc.
2: You don't need to be particularly good at dribbling, shooting, etc. if you're happy just being a guy like James Posey but in order to excel and be a go-to guy like Pierce you have to have some major game. And most threes are expected to have the three in their arsenal, by the way.

tpols
03-22-2011, 03:54 PM
1: This very season Pierce is 15th among SFs in dunks, and he does this as a guy who creates much of his own offense. He's a very good athlete, just not at the level as a leaper of guys like James, Josh Smith, etc.
2: You don't need to be particularly good at dribbling, shooting, etc. if you're happy just being a guy like James Posey but in order to excel and be a go-to guy like Pierce you have to have some major game. And most threes are expected to have the three in their arsenal, by the way.
He really isn't that good of an athlete.. he's just an extremely smart and crafty player and he's very aggressive.

The reason he usually gets by defenders isn't because he has a very quick first step, but it's because defenders have to respect his great midrange game and play him tight because he's a very good shooter. Since he's a strong guy that can dribble with either hand, he can usually get by a defender thats pressing him.

brownmamba00
03-22-2011, 03:58 PM

http://oyster.ignimgs.com/wordpress/www.ign.com/291/2011/02/y-u-mad.jpg

STATUTORY
03-22-2011, 04:00 PM

the reason he be 15th amongst SFs in dunks is that he plays a lot of minutes. when you get to average or below average SF's they usually platooned in the position with another player so they get like 20-24 mins.

Paul Pierce is close to last in dunks amongst SFs that average over 34 mins.

I'm not disagreeing that pierce is a great player with arsenal of moves but he's not a great athlete compared to guys like dorell wright

I'm just using Dorell Wright as example of not so great player that's a better pure athlete than Paul pierce rite now

Real Men Wear Green
03-22-2011, 04:01 PM
He really isn't that good of an athlete.. he's just an extremely smart and crafty player and he's very aggressive.

The reason he usually gets by defenders isn't because he has a very quick first step, but it's because defenders have to respect his great midrange game and play him tight because he's a very good shooter. Since he's a strong guy that can dribble with either hand, he can usually get by a defender thats pressing him.
His athleticism isn't currently far above average but it's above average. Finishing in traffic the way he does requires strength as well as the ability to get over some guys, and the dunk-ons he still delivers are the result of him surprising bigs with how quickly he can get to the basket. His intelligence and skill are very important but they aren't all there is to what he does.

eliteballer
03-22-2011, 04:02 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoaK5cE8Lmk

Real Men Wear Green
03-22-2011, 04:06 PM
the reason he be 15th amongst SFs in dunks is that he plays a lot of minutes. when you get to average or below average SF's they usually platooned in the position with another player so they get like 20-24 mins.

Paul Pierce is close to last amongst SFs that average over 35 mins.

I'm not disagreeing that pierce is a great player with arsenal of moves but he's not a great athlete compared to guys like dorell wright
The guys averaging 35+ mpg are normally the better SFs. And the better SFs normally have better athletic ability. He can't jump like Dorell Wright but can Wright match his size and strength? There's more to it than just being able to dunk from the free throw line or whatever. Pierce has his leaping ability while carrying around 230+ pounds. He has a strength level more like that of a 4 than a three.

Real Men Wear Green
03-22-2011, 04:08 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoaK5cE8Lmk
Thank you.

tpols
03-22-2011, 04:10 PM
The guys averaging 35+ mpg are normally the better SFs. And the better SFs normally have better athletic ability. He can't jump like Dorell Wright but can Wright match his size and strength? There's more to it than just being able to dunk from the free throw line or whatever. Pierce has his leaping ability while carrying around 230+ pounds. He has a strength level more like that of a 4 than a three.
Pierce just knows how to drop his shoulder into a guy and throw his weight around.. put pierce on the bench. He isn't some world class weight lifter.. in fact the dude isn't that toned at all. He's always been a little chubby and he knows how to throw that weight around. He's aggressive when he drives and he has the size to knock people out of the way. I wouldn't necessarily call that being athletic. He isn't beating a lot of these guys in any speed or quickness drills, or any leaping contests or in any lifting competitions.. he's just a big guy who is a very smart and crafty basketball player.

Real Men Wear Green
03-22-2011, 04:20 PM
Pierce just knows how to drop his shoulder into a guy and throw his weight around.. put pierce on the bench. He isn't some world class weight lifter.. in fact the dude isn't that toned at all. He's always been a little chubby and he knows how to throw that weight around. He's aggressive when he drives and he has the size to knock people out of the way. I wouldn't necessarily call that being athletic. He isn't beating a lot of these guys in any speed or quickness drills, or any leaping contests or in any lifting competitions.. he's just a big guy who is a very smart and crafty basketball player.
A chubby unathletic player could not generate these kinds of highlights. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tw828FvNijY&feature=related) His athleticism is overlooked because there have always been "wow" athletes like Carter, James, McGrady, etc. that would dunk more impressively. But when you compare his athletic ability to the norm, guys like James Posey, Marquis Daniels, Joe Johnson? Pierce excels.

KB2clutch
03-22-2011, 04:21 PM
Couldn't be more true. If there was still rep I'd rep you for this one, and I rarely care about rep anyways.

Even the players that seem like they have a terrible set of skills (stone hands, terrible handles, poor FT shooting) is exponentially better than even the average high school player at those. Nearly very player who's played in the NBA has been the man of a high school team and has been highly sought after by a major college program. And nearly every player has gone on to perform at those college programs to be one of a very small % of those D1 college players to be selected into the league.

Players like Scalabrine would dominant 99% of the posters on insidehoops on every level on the basketball court. Players like Ben Wallace or Shaq would destroy 99% of the posters on insidehoops in a shooting contest.
actually it says that the insidehoops community has around 45000 members, if scalabrine can only dominate 99% of them, there are about 450 posters that can beat him?? probably not, more like he'd dominate 100% of posters, and i dont think ben wallace and shaq can beat 99% of posters in a shooting contest either

tpols
03-22-2011, 04:25 PM
A chubby unathletic player could not generate these kinds of highlights. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tw828FvNijY&feature=related) His athleticism is overlooked because there have always been "wow" athletes like Carter, James, McGrady, etc. that would dunk more impressively. But when you compare his athletic ability to the norm, guys like James Posey, Marquis Daniels, Joe Johnson? Pierce excels.
Nah.. pierce is just simply a better player than those guys because he's a better shooter, he's smarter, and he's more skilled.

Joe johnson is a 6'7 230lb toned monster. He can outjump pierce. He can outrun pierce. And I guarantee you he can outlift pierce because he's way more toned at the same weight. Yet pierce is a much better player. It's because he's smarter, craftier/more skilled, and he's more aggressive when he attacks the rim i.e. he goes hard where as a guy like joe johnson usually pulls up after attacking for a short jumper, pierce is more willing to take the contact and try to finish.

XxSMSxX
03-22-2011, 06:39 PM
Nah.. pierce is just simply a better player than those guys because he's a better shooter, he's smarter, and he's more skilled.

Joe johnson is a 6'7 230lb toned monster. He can outjump pierce. He can outrun pierce. And I guarantee you he can outlift pierce because he's way more toned at the same weight. Yet pierce is a much better player. It's because he's smarter, craftier/more skilled, and he's more aggressive when he attacks the rim i.e. he goes hard where as a guy like joe johnson usually pulls up after attacking for a short jumper, pierce is more willing to take the contact and try to finish.

Being toner =/= stronger

OhNoTimNoSho
03-22-2011, 06:53 PM
You are very wrong. Real world strength is much different than weight room strength. Not toned? Have you seen strongman competitions, do those guys looks toned? Applicable strength is completely different than what you are talking about.

and wtf does being a world class weigh lifter either have to do with anything???

Your knowledge of logic is almost as low as your knowledge of basketball.. I weep for your ancestors... because they failed.

get these NETS
03-22-2011, 07:00 PM
Pierce is a throwback to the era in the league where legitimately...the 3s were the best players...maybe 10 of the best 20 players in the nba were small forwards

bird, king, vandegwe, aguire, english,dantley, and others I'm missing

those guys had complete games....shooting, creating shot, post,moves counter moves...

they could literally score on ANY size defender you threw on them...and because of where on the floor they operated...athletic ability or lack of it, didn't make or break their game(s(.

PP34Deuce
03-22-2011, 07:56 PM
I wish pp used his postgame more...he abuses.anyone not named bron deng or artest...

There r sum videos of pp workin out...hes actually a very conditioned guy...sum guys just dont get cut

Replay32
03-22-2011, 08:47 PM
Some people are built "different". Pierce is one of those guys. I think that's were the perception that pierce is not athletic comes into play. I know people who just don't get toned, but are strong as hell. I know cats that don't lift weights but are naturally toned. The ignorance on this site is amazing.

Paul Pierce is the Truth. And he's always been great at basketball.

inclinerator
03-22-2011, 08:58 PM
because he's 6'7 and has decent trickery

LiLharvard
03-23-2011, 07:27 AM

Getting Stabbed in the lungs wouldn't have anything to do with it... at all.

JohnnySic
03-23-2011, 07:52 AM
I need to point out that this a kind of a weird thread. Its like some people just realized now that PP is a great player.

Ikill
03-23-2011, 07:55 AM
Paul Perice is not athletic people need to stop with that if he is than what is every other sf.

Ikill
03-23-2011, 07:57 AM

JJ is actually 6'8 240

LastChanceToWin
03-23-2011, 07:57 AM
Paul Pierce is a good player? The only time people found out who he was was when Ray Allen and Garnett joined the Celtics.

kNIOKAS
03-23-2011, 08:13 AM
Paul Pierce is a good player? The only time people found out who he was was when Ray Allen and Garnett joined the Celtics.
http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/6280/chippernonoignmn4nk4jm5.gif

ballerz
03-23-2011, 08:21 AM
you just mad cause knicks are so shit

BoxOutBOXOUT
03-23-2011, 07:24 PM
This. KG is the reason that team is even relative.

TonyD
03-23-2011, 07:33 PM

I think you mean "relevant." Dumbass. And you're wrong.

RonArtestsBalls
03-23-2011, 09:45 PM
his hesitation and in & out moves are serious.

This.

RonArtestsBalls
03-23-2011, 09:48 PM

If you'd been watching basketball before 2008 you'd know that's unbelievably incorrect.

ballup
03-23-2011, 09:51 PM
Being known doesn't mean being skilled.

FKAri
03-23-2011, 11:23 PM
Because he's not human:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_iV1-IAosA

BoxOutBOXOUT
03-23-2011, 11:45 PM
I think you mean "relevant." Dumbass. And you're wrong.
Calling me names is totally irrelative to the conversation. Keep it civil, ape.

PP34Deuce
03-25-2011, 04:48 PM
THis is a great lil video from January where players talk about how he operates on the court

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vjm4wwqrKFA

Kris Humphries said it best when he says hes the master at being efficient, while not expounding that much energy

KevinNYC
03-25-2011, 06:09 PM
I wish pp used his postgame more...he abuses.anyone not named bron deng or artest...

There r sum videos of pp workin out...hes actually a very conditioned guy...sum guys just dont get cut

Here's two examples of Pierce taking contact and then hitting long range shots. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfHbOENu_qo&feature=player_embedded#at=51). It takes strength to absorb the blow and then get yourself back into shooting form.

kNIOKAS
03-26-2011, 07:29 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzN6_-XKMUw
son