PDA

View Full Version : Will Steve Nash win his third MVP?

LakersDynasty
12-12-2006, 06:40 AM
The Suns look like the best team in the league and are on pace to win 55-60 games this season. Statistically, Nash has improved in every category except rebounding (Amare back to pick up the rebounding slack) from last season. If he can keep up these numbers or be close to it, should he be the MVP?

Take a look at his stats:

20.4 ppg
11.6 apg
2.9 rpg
0.9 spg
52.5 FG%
49.4 3PT%
90.0 FT%
3.3 Assist-to-turnover ratio

Keep in mind though, that only 3 players have won the MVP award 3 years in a row, Bill Russell, Wilt, and Larry Bird, that's quite a company.

Out of all the MVP candidates, does Steve have the best chance to win the MVP or will he not get as much recognition as last year because of Amare's return? Do you think the voters would be reluctant to vote for him even if he really deserves it since he's won the last two? Discuss please.

biisak
12-12-2006, 06:50 AM
As of right now, he

and1
12-12-2006, 07:28 AM
who did actually suffer from amares return? babarosa? i mean in terms of minutes

LakersDynasty
12-12-2006, 07:30 AM
Diaw and Kurt Thomas.

JtotheIzzo
12-12-2006, 08:47 AM
I back Nash a lot, but I dont think he will win it again.

He's been a top three the last couple of years and could very well be again this year but Kobe and LeBron seemed predestined to win.

It wont be Boozer though I guarantee you that

MiamiWade
12-12-2006, 08:56 AM
With the suns performing the way they are Steve Nash is very much in the running.

neverfail
12-12-2006, 09:13 AM
unlike last year, this year is tough to predict. Boozer,Yao, dirk and dunken, nash and kobe all have their chances. again it's unlikely come from east, west got award consistently for many years, unless Cavs top in east which is unlikely IMO.:pimp:

Mahmoud
12-12-2006, 09:14 AM
No, not with the way Amare is playing. Nash is playing excellent and he'll be in the running, but he won last year basically because of what the team accomplished without Amare, the first year it was basically because of how much they had improved from the year prior, and he was a big reason for both those years. How can they top it this year? Unless the Suns win 65+ games, I just don't see it happening.

bigkingsfan
12-12-2006, 09:18 AM
Nash will win it again, the majority of voters are white so he'll have an advantage.

lakers-city
12-12-2006, 09:19 AM
candidate for dumbest post of the day :applause: ^

Horde of Temujin
12-12-2006, 09:23 AM
I think if the Lakers play well the whole season and 50-60 games, kobes gets it, no matter how well Nash plays

Scorched Soul
12-12-2006, 09:31 AM
If Nash keeps averaging what he is right now, and the Suns win 55+, then its definitely possible. It would depend on how Amare plays, and also how some of the other superstars around the league perform.

I definitely think Kobe is in with a chance. He always is, because the spotlight is always on him, and if the Lakers ever win 50+, he will get all the credit (probably rightfully so). As long as he averages around 26 5 5 on 45%+ and the Lakers hit 50, then I say Kobe is in with a great chance.

Lebron, again, as great as he is, will always be in consideration. I think Lebron will have to average great stats and lead the Cavs to a top 3 finish in the East.

Duncan should be in consideration, but probably won't be.

Depending on how Miami do, Wade could be in with a shot, especially with Shaq out - it's his time to show he's still Wade without Shaq helping him.

Dirk - eh, maybe if the mavs turn it around and he starts playing like he has in previous years.

So, yeah, Nash could win.

Brunch@Five
12-12-2006, 09:44 AM
It'd be funny if either Bron or Kobe win it this year, and not Nash. Nash is playing even better than last year, and both Bron and Kobe are playing worse. THis'd be the proof that the MVP has no actual relevance as to who is the best player, and the award is agenda-driven.

The way Nash plays and considering that the award was given to Nash the last two years, he has to get it again. Suns and Nash are playing better than last year, the other two heavy candidates are playing worse (Kobe, Bron), Dirk and the Mavs have stagnated. If anyone but Nash should win it it's Duncan.

lakers-city
12-12-2006, 09:47 AM
It'd be funny if either Bron or Kobe win it this year, and not Nash. Nash is playing even better than last year, and both Bron and Kobe are playing worse. THis'd be the proof that the MVP has no actual relevance as to who is the best player, and the award is agenda-driven.

actually this would be proof that mvp and best player in the league has never and will never be measured by the same criteria, which is right, sometimes they are the same (jordan a few times, shaq in 00) but sometimes they arent (malone in 99, iverson in 01, robinson in 95, russell in the 60's when chamberlain was the best player in the league)

mvp measures team records as well.

Rab
12-12-2006, 10:01 AM
I think he'll be in the top 4 at the end of season. It's hard not to put him up there the way he has played this season. There have been stretches from him where he has put the team on his back like I haven't seen since the Dallas series 2 years ago.

MiamiWade
12-12-2006, 10:12 AM
No, not with the way Amare is playing. Nash is playing excellent and he'll be in the running, but he won last year basically because of what the team accomplished without Amare, the first year it was basically because of how much they had improved from the year prior, and he was a big reason for both those years. How can they top it this year? Unless the Suns win 65+ games, I just don't see it happening.

so we can rule kobe out with the way Lamar Odom has been playing. He is even more important for the lakers than Amare is for the suns.

Amare : 16.9 pts
8.2 reb
0.7 assists

Lamar: 18.4 pts
9.1 rebs
5.1 assists

Maximum310
12-12-2006, 04:46 PM
I dont think he will...an UNDESERVING LBJ already won it b4 the season got started..
All he has to do is get the Cavs into one of the top 4 seeds in the weak east, and every voter will drool him as MVP..

SsKSpurs21
12-12-2006, 04:50 PM
I dont think he will...an UNDESERVING LBJ already won it b4 the season got started..
All he has to do is get the Cavs into one of the top 4 seeds in the weak east, and every voter will drool him as MVP..

yup this looks likely. also if the mavs can get the best record in the west, then i think dirk will get it.

ExpatSunsFan
12-12-2006, 04:51 PM
I don't see it, even if he keeps this up. People will leave him off their ballot this year, like they did w/Kobe last year.

What he can do is quiet all the talk about the two MVPs he's already got. I think people are starting to recognize that Nash isn't Kurt Warner--he's legitimately that good, and he's not going away any time soon. :shrug:

dgbigballer9329
12-12-2006, 05:00 PM
Just since I don't know, what is it that he did to get so much better in Phoenix than Dallas. I've watched him plenty on both teams and he's just so much better now........it can't just be the system. He looks faster, stronger, shoots better, passes better, doesn't get as tired, even makes some hustle defensive plays. He has somehow gotten better at everything by a lot. And that's not even considering his stats or the pace they play at. How has he gotten so much better at an old age?

Jailblazers7
12-12-2006, 05:14 PM
I think Dirk or Tim Duncan will get it this year

ExpatSunsFan
12-12-2006, 05:20 PM
The physical part is because he didn't get truly serious about his conditioning and diet until the summer he was a FA. Before that his rep was as a hard-partying guy, but that summer he got married (to a personal trainer, believe it or not) and really settled down. He also got very enthusiastic about 'core strength' exercises, partly because he was concerned about his back holding up, and you can see the difference that's made in his balance and coordination.

The mental stuff IMO is because he keeps expanding on his game, which is something that a lot of veteran NBA players don't seem to do. Nash has always been a late bloomer, though, so maybe he's managed to turn that to his advantage.

MaxFly
12-12-2006, 05:33 PM
I called this last season after Nash won his second MVP award. There is simply no reason not to give him a third award if he plays as well as he did in the two previous seasons and his team does well. If we are going to go by the traditional definition of the MVP award that so many people were lauding last season, he's a top 3 candidate this year and deserves to win... 3 time MVP award winner. He'll go down as a legend.

Mewwem22
12-12-2006, 05:45 PM
If the Jazz end up with the best record in the league at the end of the year i think boozer will get it. Mostly because many people thought like Greg Anthony: Can Boozer play the whole season? Who's going to play shooting guard? Can Okur have another great season? Regardless, I don't see this being a playoff team.
DIVISION RANK: 4 | CONFERENCE RANK: 14

I think it is way too early to be talking about MVP's though. You have to wait and see how things play out. You can't name an MVP based on ifs.

Kblaze8855
12-12-2006, 06:00 PM
"I called this last season after Nash won his second MVP award."

Me too. though I think I said it with the following conditions:

The Lakers and Cavs dont win 55 games and the Mavs dont win 65.

Aside from those things I dont see how anyone else would get it. Hes just the default choice for this era it seems. If the Cavs, Lakers, and Mavs dont blow it away record wise Nash might retire with like 4 or 5 if he plays this level till about 36. And I dont see why he couldnt.

wang4three
12-12-2006, 06:00 PM
I think Big Timmy will get his 3rd when it's all said and done.

Kblaze8855
12-12-2006, 06:03 PM
You could justify Duncan winning it basically every year since 02.

dejordan
12-12-2006, 06:17 PM
iverson is the sportswriters' mvp. look what he's done for them already this season!

wang4three
12-12-2006, 06:18 PM
Well other than 02, which I still think it belongs to Kidd, I probably could.

SRZ66
12-12-2006, 06:28 PM
if they keep the same criteria they had the last 2 years, then there's no reason he shouldn't get it. i can easily see kobe or dirk getting it this year if they keep up their play, and their teams win teh same amount or more as the suns. i'd be fine with any of the 3

JohnnyBravo5
12-12-2006, 06:38 PM
That trophy already has JJ's name on it. All he has to do is get the Hawks into the playoffs and put up his current numbers. Unfortunately he is hurt and we are dropping like a pigeon shot by a Daisy BB gun.:banghead:

lakers-city
12-12-2006, 06:41 PM
^ :wtf: :sleeping

DieHardBullsFan
12-12-2006, 06:43 PM
The Suns look like the best team in the league and are on pace to win 55-60 games this season. Statistically, Nash has improved in every category except rebounding (Amare back to pick up the rebounding slack) from last season. If he can keep up these numbers or be close to it, should he be the MVP?

Take a look at his stats:

20.4 ppg
11.6 apg
2.9 rpg
0.9 spg
52.5 FG%
49.4 3PT%
90.0 FT%
3.3 Assist-to-turnover ratio

Keep in mind though, that only 3 players have won the MVP award 3 years in a row, Bill Russell, Wilt, and Larry Bird, that's quite a company.

Out of all the MVP candidates, does Steve have the best chance to win the MVP or will he not get as much recognition as last year because of Amare's return? Do you think the voters would be reluctant to vote for him even if he really deserves it since he's won the last two? Discuss please.

Umm no, if the season started Today, Melo is the MVP right now and dont rule out Boozer as a possibility

lakers-city
12-12-2006, 06:46 PM
the season started over a month ago, and if the season were over today no one cares, the season isnt over today.

Mewwem22
12-12-2006, 06:48 PM
the season started over a month ago, and if the season were over today no one cares, the season isnt over today.

Which is why people shouldn't be talking about the MVP.

DieHardBullsFan
12-12-2006, 06:58 PM

lol...its a figure of speach...duh...Im saying if Melo and Boozer continue to play at the level that they are at.....they should get strong consideration for MVP.

whats wrong I didnt mention Kobe as a MVP canidate?:violin:

lakers-city
12-12-2006, 06:59 PM
well, im not the biggest kobe fan around so i dont care about that one bit, but honestly, yes, kobe is a far better candidate than carmelo anthony right now.

DieHardBullsFan
12-12-2006, 07:05 PM
well, im not the biggest kobe fan around so i dont care about that one bit, but honestly, yes, kobe is a far better candidate than carmelo anthony right now.

are you serious?

Melo is leading the league in scoring and shooting over 50 percent from the field plus...he dont have K-Mart and if you look at that entire team they shoudl be under .500 and not considered a playoff contender....Melo has stepped up and put the nuggets on his back....

I dont think that Kobe is a MVP canidate because he hasnt had to do much this year...its been the play of everyone else and the bench that has kept the lakers competitive....

Brunch@Five
12-12-2006, 07:08 PM
are you serious?

I dont think that Kobe is a MVP canidate because he hasnt had to do much this year...its been the play of everyone else and the bench that has kept the lakers competitive....

so Michael did not deserve his MVPs in the 90's? His team won 55 games without him, and he didn't have to do that much more than Kobe now. (That's not saying that he's not better than Kobe, only the Bulls were about as much better as the Lakers now as MJ is better than Kobe)

lakers-city
12-12-2006, 07:10 PM

you just described michael jordan and tim duncan when they won mvp, difference is kobe doesnt have pippen or an all-around team like duncan had.

LakersDynasty
12-12-2006, 07:12 PM
How the **** did this turn into an argument about who's better than Kobe and who's not? :hammerhead:

DieHardBullsFan
12-12-2006, 07:18 PM
so Michael did not deserve his MVPs in the 90's? His team won 55 games without him, and he didn't have to do that much more than Kobe now. (That's not saying that he's not better than Kobe, only the Bulls were about as much better as the Lakers now as MJ is better than Kobe)

what I mean is...the lakers have guys who contributing and taking the pressure off of kobe...and plus kobe didnt need to dominate a game other than the 52 point game against the Jazz...plus, kobe's stats are low comming into this season...this might be due to the fack that hes comming off the injury. and you can tell that he is not at the level that hes usually at....

Jordan deserved MVP because he was dominate every night with a supporting cast...

and yes the Bulls won 50 + in 93-94 without him, we were bounced out of the palyoffs in the second round by....I dont even want to talk about it you know what happened....but I dont think that we would of beat the Pacers in the ECF or I dont think that we would of had a chance against the Rockets without Jordan..

DieHardBullsFan
12-12-2006, 07:20 PM
you just described michael jordan and tim duncan when they won mvp, difference is kobe doesnt have pippen or an all-around team like duncan had.

the players that you mentioned when they won MVP were dominate in the seasons that they played

lakers-city
12-12-2006, 07:21 PM
kobe is on his way to win over 50 games easily, the difference would be ?

Younggrease
12-12-2006, 07:23 PM
the players that you mentioned when they won MVP were dominate in the seasons that they played

In 96 Jordan put up 30/6/4/ which is great but not quite dominant stats, although he did dominate

Kobe could win if he goes 29/6/5 48.5% shooting, top 3 seed. But it isnt happening.

Loki
12-12-2006, 07:33 PM
In 96 Jordan put up 30/6/4/ which is great but not quite dominant stats, although he did dominate

Fact is, as much as Lakers-City et al. want to pretend that Kobe is performing as well as Jordan did when he won his MVP's, that is clearly false. Kobe is having a good (not great) season by his standards, and it certainly isn't close to any of Jordan's championship seasons. In fact, it wasn't until age 35 when Jordan had as poor a statistical season as Kobe is having this year (thus far; I expect his numbers to improve), and even that year (1998) might have been better when you account for the fact that he led the Bulls to a 25-11 record without Pippen to start the season while having similar statistical output to Kobe this year.

And lol @ saying that 30/6/4 (actually, it was 30.4/6.6/4.3/2.2 on 49.5% shooting, to be precise) isn't dominant. This was before the inflated perimeter scoring era, kiddies. And his PER that year was 29.4, which was a full 1.3 points above the best statistical season by any player last season, so I guess no one last season was dominant... :rolleyes:

Kobe could win if he goes 29/6/5 48.5% shooting, top 3 seed. But it isnt happening.

What part isn't happening? The numbers or the wins? Those would be respectable MVP-level numbers imo. I'd even say something like 28/6/5 on 48% shooting would do it provided that LA wins 53+ games, unless someone else really turns it up.

konex
12-12-2006, 07:36 PM
fact, it wasn't until age 35 when Jordan had as poor a statistical season as Kobe is having this year

Kobe is having a "poor" season? Even if we don't consider the fact that he's playing his way into shape, this is too much (even from you, Lokster) :oldlol:

lakers-city
12-12-2006, 07:37 PM
translation = im a jordan groupie who needs to grab at straws whenever the most minimal statistical mistake is made in a post.

kobe is having the best shooting season of his career, despite having the same scrubs he had last year the lakers still have a great record.

seriously, get off jordan's d*ck and learn to accept the guy is retired and other players from present time dont need to live up to HIS standards to win the mvp.

why bring up jordan's age in the 97 and 98 seasons ? the voters dont give a shiiit about a players age.

keep those bs PER stats in that useless basketball reference site and watch some games, then make judgements.

Loki
12-12-2006, 07:47 PM
Kobe is having a "poor" season? Even if we don't consider the fact that he's playing his way into shape, this is too much (even from you, Lokster) :oldlol:

"As poor as" implies a comparison. Of course Kobe isn't having a poor season. He's having a great season, in fact. But relative to Jordan's seasons, it's poor (statistically). Tell your fellow Laker groupies not to bring up the comparison if they can't handle the heat. :D

seriously, kobe is having the best shooting season of his career despite having the same scrubs he had last year the lakers still have a great record.

Of course he's having the best shooting season of his career -- he's also averaging a 3 year low in ppg. No coincidence there.

lol @ "the same scrubs." Those "scrubs" are sure playing well for him, what with Odom's 18/9/5, Walton's 13/5/4 and league-leading 3-pt %, and the great post play from Bynum and Brown (especially defensively).

seriously, get off jordan's d*ck and learn to apreciate other players.

Oh, wait -- you must be under the impression that it was I who brought Jordan's name up in this conversation. Learn to read. Lakers fans seem to have the market on illiteracy cornered. :hammerhead:

What makes it doubly humorous is that it was you who brought up Jordan's name, and now you're crying foul. :roll: Rich.

why bring up jordan's age in the 97 and 98 seasons ? the voters dont give a shiiit about a players age.

Because you were acting as if Kobe was beasting this season, and as if his season was equivalent to Jordan's MVP seasons. Hint: it's not.

seriously, keep those bs PER stats in that useless basketball reference site and watch some games, then make judgements.

Translation: I refuse to listen to any fact, stat etc. that doesn't agree with my preconceptions.

I do watch games -- Lakers games, even. And Kobe is having a great season, as are several of his teammates, and the team as a whole is playing very cohesively. But don't try to make his season into something it's not (thus far).

lakers-city
12-12-2006, 07:52 PM
so you are another statbiitch who uses horscrap stats over a true judgement based on watching games ? :hammerhead:

jordan won mvp in a year he scored 28 ppg on 46%, so ? :confusedshrug:

his team won 55 without him, let me see this lakers win 55 without kobe to ranks them as anything above scrubs.

DreamRockets
12-12-2006, 07:57 PM
kobe mvp :roll:

its a race between nash, duncan, dirk, boozer right now.

Heilige
12-12-2006, 08:14 PM
kobe mvp :roll:

its a race between nash, duncan, dirk, boozer right now.

Spurs got beat by the Lakers :roll: :roll:

scrotania
12-12-2006, 08:16 PM
there's a reason why kobe should win it over duncan........

DreamRockets
12-12-2006, 08:27 PM
so ? one game doesnt mean anything, the spurs are simply a better team, cant wait til they knock the fc,k out of dobe and the lakers :applause:

Heilige
12-12-2006, 08:29 PM
so ? one game doesnt mean anything, the spurs are simply a better team, cant wait til they knock the fc,k out of dobe and the lakers :applause:

The Lakers are going to the WCF. If the Spurs happen to be there, they will be knocked out. Book it. :rockon:

DreamRockets
12-12-2006, 08:31 PM
:roll: at lakers on the west finals

:roll: :roll: :roll: at the lakers beating the spurs on the playoffs

Heilige
12-12-2006, 08:32 PM
:roll: at lakers on the west finals

:roll: :roll: :roll: at the lakers beating the spurs on the playoffs

The Lakers are winning the Championship. Spurs....:roll: :roll: :roll: Duncan Dougnuts isn't going anywhere...:roll: :roll:

Keep on dreaming Mr. Rockets

DreamRockets
12-12-2006, 08:39 PM
kobe doesn't have shaq's coat-tails to ride anymore, nash, duncan or dirk are gonna knock the fck outta kobe, i cant wait :pimp:

SomeBunghole
12-12-2006, 08:40 PM
I don't know why all this discussion about Kobe's stats and MJ's stats and all that jazz. Kobe isn't likely to be the MVP for a simple reason.

He's a d!ck. People don't like him, and fair or not, it affects the voting. The MVP award isn't awarded by a computer calculating who deserved it, but human beings affected by biases.

Nash is a likeable guy, and it sure as hell helps. Just look at him. He comes off as the kind of guy who if you ran into him in a bar would buy you a drink and then talk ball with you all night. Kobe comes off as a guy who at a bar wouldn't even give you an autograph because he'd be too busy raping white girls or something.

For Kobe to win the MVP award, he has to be clearly head and shoulders above the rest of the field. Just being up there won't cut it.

BlackVVaves
12-12-2006, 10:04 PM
Wow. Does EVERY topic have to turn into Kobe vs. Jordan?

Loki
12-12-2006, 10:07 PM
Wow. Does EVERY topic have to turn into Kobe vs. Jordan?

Tell it to Lakers-city. He's the one who brought it up.

LakersDynasty
12-13-2006, 04:24 AM
Still wondering how a topic about Nash winning his 3rd MVP turned into a Kobe vs. Jordan debate. Another topic ruined, whoever is responsible for it....

Se
12-13-2006, 04:30 AM
unlike last year, this year is tough to predict. Boozer,Yao, dirk and dunken, nash and kobe all have their chances. again it's unlikely come from east, west got award consistently for many years, unless Cavs top in east which is unlikely IMO.:pimp:

ewwwww

Maximum310
12-13-2006, 05:08 AM
I don't know why all this discussion about Kobe's stats and MJ's stats and all that jazz. Kobe isn't likely to be the MVP for a simple reason.

People don't like him, and fair or not, it affects the voting. The MVP award isn't awarded by a computer calculating who deserved it, but human beings affected by biases.

For Kobe to win the MVP award, he has to be clearly head and shoulders above the rest of the field. Just being up there won't cut it.

Sad but true, I could remember b4 the 05-06 season started, all the voters and sports writters were saying that the Lakers had NO CHANCE of making the playoffs, and if they did, then Kobe should be the MVP.

Kobe won the scoring title and took the Lakers to the playoffs but was overlooked as an MVP, finishing behind Nash, LBJ, and Dirk. Some voters even left him out of their valot.

Their Excuse last year was...
HE SHOT THE BALL TOO MUCH,
Now he's sharing the ball and all they will say to shaft him out of MVP is
HIS STATS ARE NOT WHAT THEY WERE LAST YEAR.

No Matter what, theyll find an excuse NOT TO GIVE IT TO KOBE.

JtotheIzzo
12-13-2006, 05:23 AM
I think people are coming around on Kobe little by little

I think everyone is surprised by how good the Lakers are actually doing

I think the single biggest factor in MVP selection is the team's performance versus the team's expected performance

Steve Nash won and a big reason each season was that the Suns weren't expected to win as much as they did

This year they are expected by many to win it all

Hence he wont win

Lakers have lower expectations and are exceeding them

Hence Kobe wins

statman32
12-13-2006, 06:03 AM
im thinking if the suns win 66 games then nash has a chance...otherwise i doubt they woud even think of it

EricForman
12-13-2006, 08:58 AM
translation = im a jordan groupie who needs to grab at straws whenever the most minimal statistical mistake is made in a post.

kobe is having the best shooting season of his career, despite having the same scrubs he had last year the lakers still have a great record.

seriously, get off jordan's d*ck and learn to accept the guy is retired and other players from present time dont need to live up to HIS standards to win the mvp.

keep those bs PER stats in that useless basketball reference site and watch some games, then make judgements.

first-- stop referring to kobe's teammates as scrubs. Lamar Odom is better than anyone Iverson, Ray Allen, Paul Pierce has ever played with and all them guys gone further in the playoffs and had better regular season win totals than Kobe did post-Shaq. Iverson and Pierce have led a cast of worse players than what Kobe has to lengthy playoff runs.

The whole "Kobe has CBA teammates" "take kobe off the team and lakers are the worse team in the league" logic doesn't apply anymore, I never believed it even last year, but this year's just flat out been proven false.

Jordan's age is always relevant simply becausae his final 3 Bulls seasons he was technically WAY OUT OF HIS PRIME. To do what he did at age 34, 35, 36 is amazing. Kobe fans also always bring up Jordan's later years to try to disparage him, such as how Jordan no longer guarded the opposing team's best players, or how his shooting % dropped a bit and steals numbers went down... they use those stats to try to disparage Jordan, but when you factor in his age, those are freaking amazing numbers. So Jordan's age should always be mentioned to counter Laker fans lame attempts. You Laker fans are a sneaky bunch, you guys tend to use prime Kobe to compare with , say 38 year old Jordan (and you guys obviously leave out his age), and try to pass that off as a legit comparison between the two.

Guys, look at page 4, and read Helige and Laker-citys posts, look at their logic, Helige implies Lakers are superior to Spurs and have a better shot at the championship becasue they beat the Spurs ONE GAME. Laker logic brings up Bulls winning 55 in 94 and how Kobe's teammates right now can't win 55 without Kobe. Um, but you add Jordan to the 94 bulls and it's championship, you add kobe to this year's lakers and its another first round exit......

I feel sorry for the legit, logical Laker fans on here, you guys have to fight an uphill battle at ISH everyday because of these clowns. Seriously, read their posts... it's too ridiculous for words.

EricForman
12-13-2006, 09:06 AM
Sad but true, I could remember b4 the 05-06 season started, all the voters and sports writters were saying that the Lakers had NO CHANCE of making the playoffs, and if they did, then Kobe should be the MVP.

Kobe won the scoring title and took the Lakers to the playoffs but was overlooked as an MVP, finishing behind Nash, LBJ, and Dirk. Some voters even left him out of their valot.

Their Excuse last year was...
HE SHOT THE BALL TOO MUCH,
Now he's sharing the ball and all they will say to shaft him out of MVP is
HIS STATS ARE NOT WHAT THEY WERE LAST YEAR.

No Matter what, theyll find an excuse NOT TO GIVE IT TO KOBE.

look, Kobe had a case for MVP last year, but to put him up there right now is just silly. He simply hasn't been dominant enough, there were plenty of games this year where Odom was the best player on the court. And the Lakers won a few games where he didn't play.

Kobe's still a top player but how excatly is he worthy of MVP right now over guys who have carried their teams and put up sick numbers all year? Like Boozer, Nash, or even Dirk>?

MaxFly
12-13-2006, 09:21 AM
Bryant's not winning an MVP award this year... I'm not even sure why his name is being brought up. People completely left if off of their ballots last year. He has no chance this year.

El Seano
12-13-2006, 10:52 AM
I don't have anything against him but I sincerely hope Steve Nash doesn't win his third in a row, I just don't think he's worthy of that at all when its not like there's nobody competing for it. This year I think LBJ, Kobe or Dirk will take it if not them then it'll be an outsider nobody figured on taking the awards, but not nash.

Joey Zaza
12-13-2006, 11:27 AM
If the Lakers are among the top teams in the league Kobe has a legit shot at MVP. Its really very simple...be the best player on the best team.

The problem for the hard core Laker fans is that we all knowthat they will not wind upo with the best record in the League.

So you are relying on contraversy as to the "best player" or the "best team". So if the Jazz wind up with the best record in the L, and Boozer is the 20-10 guy who got them there (and you know people will argue that 10rpg = defense, when we all know that Boozer is not a defender) , Kobe will have a tough time getting the nod from a 3rd place Laker team.

If, however, LA = Phx from last year (lead the Div but 3rd best record) and SA has the best record but Timmy is only Timmy from last year, and Dall is 2nd, and Dirk is only as good as Dirk from last year, and the Lakers are 3rd--it could pass down to Kobe the same way it went to Nash - especially if this month-long Odom injury doesn't hurt them too much.

Personally, if I had as vote, right now, I'm going with D.Howard. Best player on the best team in his conference, actually is defending, is the best player on that team...and on the "where would they be without" test..Orlando ranks pretty low. Nelson,Hill,Hedo,Darko,Battie - with Arroyo off the bench. That's a 15 win team - at best.

ohh- and on topic, its going to be real tough for Nash to win. Phx will not significantly improve from last year, he doesn't have the "all new teammates" angle anymore. But if everything isd the same as last year (SA/Dal/Phx) and they decide that TD is still not good enough, I guess he still has a shot.

CavaliersFTW
03-25-2014, 01:28 AM
well, will he?

Deuce Bigalow
03-25-2014, 01:33 AM
well, will he?
Wilt making a clutch shot in his prime or Nash winning a third MVP in his prime? What's more likely?

riseagainst
03-25-2014, 11:08 AM
Wilt making a clutch shot in his prime or Nash winning a third MVP in his prime? What's more likely?

:roll:

HoopsFanNumero1
03-25-2014, 11:22 AM
What happened to the Lakers fanbase? They're all so civilized in this thread. And now they're represented by passive-aggressive clowns like Deuce.