PDA

View Full Version : Kobe Bryant's Footwork!

20Four
03-24-2011, 07:39 PM
Nice video of the best player in the game today:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIGMs1WQuMI

RonArtestsBalls
03-24-2011, 07:43 PM
Best footwork in the game, no doubt.

I'm still taking Hakeem though!

winwin
03-24-2011, 07:49 PM
in b4 someone says LeLowIQ >> kobe

Colby Brian
03-24-2011, 07:51 PM
kobe > queen james

pauk
03-24-2011, 07:51 PM
will u stop overrating him so damn much
he is not the best player in the nba and hasnt been that for a couple of years now and today he is worse than ever

GET OVER IT

footwork alone doesnt cut it sry
maybe in Tae Kwon Do

ballup
03-24-2011, 07:53 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TioepHz1EWM
Ya, Kobe does have nice footwork.

monkeypox
03-24-2011, 07:56 PM
Please everyone knows LeBron has better footwork because he can run faster.

eliteballer
03-24-2011, 07:58 PM
First play. Kobe age 20 showing more post game than LeBron does now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pxy7np0dH5Q

G-Funk
03-24-2011, 08:00 PM
lebron can only dream of that

G-Funk
03-24-2011, 08:04 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TioepHz1EWM
Ya, Kobe does have nice footwork.
my comment has the most thumps up!

Colby Brian
03-24-2011, 08:14 PM
he is not the best player in the nba and hasnt been that for a couple of years now and today he is worse than ever

GET OVER IT

maybe in Tae Kwon Do

http://vglounge.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/KOBE_UMAD.jpg

STATUTORY
03-24-2011, 08:19 PM

GET OVER IT

maybe in Tae Kwon Do

my man you coming off saltier than Pietrus in this photo

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v700/ap2s2000/pietruslol.jpg

asdf1990
03-24-2011, 08:22 PM
I've seen better.

Colby Brian
03-24-2011, 08:26 PM
my man you coming off saltier than Pietrus in this photo

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v700/ap2s2000/pietruslol.jpg

:roll: :roll:

G-Funk
03-24-2011, 08:29 PM
I've seen better.

me too. I've seen Kobe do way better.

crisoner
03-24-2011, 08:39 PM

GET OVER IT

maybe in Tae Kwon Do

Of course a LeBron fan would like to discredit footwork cuz ur boy has none. Can't post etc. And that's why he will continue to fail.

whoartthou
03-24-2011, 08:57 PM

:facepalm

Colby Brian
03-24-2011, 09:00 PM

kobe is still better than queen james son

whoartthou
03-24-2011, 09:02 PM
kobe is still better than queen james son

sure.

But he is not the best player in the L.

NBASTATMAN
03-24-2011, 10:17 PM

Great footwork.. Reminds me of MJ... :applause:

whoartthou
03-24-2011, 10:25 PM
Great footwork.. Reminds me of MJ... :applause:

yea kobe does have nice footwork

Scoooter
03-24-2011, 10:35 PM
Paul Pierce has better footwork.

NBASTATMAN
03-24-2011, 10:37 PM
yea kobe does have nice footwork

Funny how kobe is doing moves MJ was doing over 20 years ago. And probably slower yet he still has the best footwork in the league.. Mj was so way ahead of his time.. There was a game where OLD MJ played Kobe and they were matched up and Mj just showed kobe the vast array of moves he still had...

Got to give it to kobe.. His offensive game is solid across the board.. Well excEPT his assist to turnover ratio.. But unlike Wade and bron he knows how to attack in different ways.. But he was never blessed with the physical abilities they have so he like Pistol, bird, nash, magic and others developed other MORE SKILL.. Though Wade is superskilled for a guy with his physical abilities... And mj even more so...

When I hate on Kobe its more to get a good laugh.. There is no denying his greatness.. And his talents are top 5 all time.. But his results and performances have yet to be at that level...

NBASTATMAN
03-24-2011, 10:39 PM
Paul Pierce has better footwork.

Facing up YES.... But not on the block. Kobe is way ahead in that area...

AlphaWolf24
03-24-2011, 10:52 PM
Kobe's Footwork is 2nd 2 none..ever.

Best player in the NBA....est. 2001

acbay91
03-24-2011, 11:03 PM
:wtf:

are you guys stupid? yeah his footwork is incredible, but some of you people are saying hes better than "queen" james, or that hes the best player in the league. whats WRONG with you people?

you have to be the most biased fan in history to say that lebron ISNT better than kobe...kobe isnt even top 2 in the league. i'd argue that wade might even be better (definitely a better playoffs performer...and a far better finals performer no? with a less star-studded cast he won a ring too)

but seriously, you kobe nutsuckers have to get real. hes an incredible player DEFIINTELY. but hes not the best in the league...there are arguments for way more people. and lebron is better than him

HighFlyer23
03-24-2011, 11:06 PM
In terms of footwork

Hakeem Olajuwon >>>>>>>>>>

DixieNourmous
03-24-2011, 11:07 PM

are you guys stupid? yeah his footwork is incredible, but some of you people are saying hes better than "queen" james, or that hes the best player in the league. whats WRONG with you people?

you have to be the most biased fan in history to say that lebron ISNT better than kobe...kobe isnt even top 2 in the league. i'd argue that wade might even be better (definitely a better playoffs performer...and a far better finals performer no? with a less star-studded cast he won a ring too)

but seriously, you kobe nutsuckers have to get real. hes an incredible player DEFIINTELY. but hes not the best in the league...there are arguments for way more people. and lebron is better than him
16 post 12 year old newbie has spoken. It must be true :lol

acbay91
03-24-2011, 11:17 PM
16 post 12 year old newbie has spoken. It must be true :lol

lol yeah i have 16 posts because im new here, ever thought of that? doesnt mean im 16 (im 18 :confusedshrug: )

but yeah, you really think kobe > lebron? you're retarded then

G-Funk
03-24-2011, 11:21 PM
I can honestly say that the 1 thing Kobe is better than Jordan at, is his foot work!

AlphaWolf24
03-24-2011, 11:42 PM

How dare you call Michael Jefferey Jordan a Kobe "nutsucker":mad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r_XQrmGlgE

Colby Brian
03-25-2011, 01:32 AM

kobe wins games, lebron puts up good stats yeah, but it doesnt mean hes better, watch the playoffs this year, well see whos the best in the L
kobes only playin 34 minutes a game, phils restin him for the playoffs
you probally just look at boxscores dont you

LA_Showtime
03-25-2011, 01:34 AM
Kobe has great footwork no doubt, but it's not like other NBA players aren't equally as good. Kobe's face-up footwork in particular is sometimes unnecessary, as it appears he goes for show rather than effectiveness.

Bandito
03-25-2011, 02:25 AM
lol yeah i have 16 posts because im new here, ever thought of that? doesnt mean im 16 (im 18 :confusedshrug: )

but yeah, you really think kobe > lebron? you're retarded then
So if people don't think Lebron>Kobe they're retarded? That is so mature and intelligent.:facepalm

Turkododo
03-25-2011, 02:26 AM
nice.

respect from a Celtic fan.

acbay91
03-25-2011, 02:43 AM
So if people don't think Lebron>Kobe they're retarded? That is so mature and intelligent.:facepalm

yeah obv that came out wrong. i was ticked cuz the guy who responded to my first post called out me for being young and only having 16 posts as if that somehow factors into kobe > lebron or lebron >kobe.

its an open secret that lebron > kobe. yeah kobe wins, but kobe also has phenomenal coaches and casts: phil, pau...should i mention shaq? lol

not to mention, he underperformed in the biggest stage (the finals) as usual...

look at what lebrons had, and look at what hes done with it. the guy won 127 games over 2 seasons, made it to the ecf in 09 and lost because his team was exposed (he still put up incredible numbers and did basically all he could for his pathetic team)

second season: ok ok we know lebron disappeared, but thats not a knock on his PLAYIGN ABILITY, its a knock on his attitude. he gave up game 5 ( i think), but if anyone saw game 1 and game 3, i think he scored 21 in 1 quarter en route to a blow-out in one of those games. so clearly he wasnt outplayed or anything, he just got frustrated that delonte was doing his mom, and 7 years of bad management built up and it all exploded!!!

Bandito
03-25-2011, 02:52 AM
yeah obv that came out wrong. i was ticked cuz the guy who responded to my first post called out me for being young and only having 16 posts as if that somehow factors into kobe > lebron or lebron >kobe.

its an open secret that lebron > kobe. yeah kobe wins, but kobe also has phenomenal coaches and casts: phil, pau...should i mention shaq? lol

look at what lebrons had, and look at what hes done with it. the guy won 127 games over 2 seasons, made it to the ecf in 09 and lost because his team was exposed (he still put up incredible numbers and did basically all he could for his pathetic team)

second season: ok ok we know lebron disappeared, but thats not a knock on his PLAYIGN ABILITY, its a knock on his attitude. he gave up game 5 ( i think), but if anyone saw game 1 and game 3, i think he scored 21 in 1 quarter en route to a blow-out in one of those games. so clearly he wasnt outplayed or anything, he just got frustrated that delonte was doing his mom, and 7 years of bad management built up and it all exploded!!!To be fair Lebron didn't do aquat in the Finals in 07 either an underperformed way worse than Kobe did in all his Finals games too. He underperformed too in the ECF against the Celtics last year. It wasn't his team disappearing it was him failing to do anything against the great Celtics D. It is not a knock on him but still they owned him. That Cavs team was good enough, they won more than 60 games. What more do you want, an all star team? Oh wait...:facepalm

Colby Brian
03-25-2011, 02:54 AM

second season: ok ok we know lebron disappeared, but thats not a knock on his PLAYIGN ABILITY, its a knock on his attitude. he gave up game 5 ( i think), but if anyone saw game 1 and game 3, i think he scored 21 in 1 quarter en route to a blow-out in one of those games. so clearly he wasnt outplayed or anything, he just got frustrated that delonte was doing his mom, and 7 years of bad management built up and it all exploded!!!

lebrons great, just kobe is better nothing wrong with that, im not saying lebron sucks or anything, hes an amazing player, but kobes kobe

G-Funk
03-25-2011, 03:01 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpuswrs-Svg&feature=related this is a better video... I hAVE NEVE SEEN ANY BBALL PLAYER MAKE THIS KINDA MOVES IN NBA HISTORY

whoartthou
03-25-2011, 03:49 AM
Kobe has great footwork no doubt, but it's not like other NBA players aren't equally as good. Kobe's face-up footwork in particular is sometimes unnecessary, as it appears he goes for show rather than effectiveness.

kobe does indeed have really good footwork. But i completely agree with this statement. Sometimes, you are like "WTF YOU DOING." Kobe trying to look pretty too many times...

pauk
03-25-2011, 04:16 AM
kobe wins games, lebron puts up good stats yeah, but it doesnt mean hes better, watch the playoffs this year, well see whos the best in the L
kobes only playin 34 minutes a game, phils restin him for the playoffs
you probally just look at boxscores dont you

:no:

correction #1:
kobes TEAM wins games/championships.... wins games? Lebron wins even more games than Kobe........... sry... there is a difference... and we have all seen the Head 2 Head matchups where Lebron always humiliates Kobe and win...............

kobe is nothing but a overrated chucker... who gets bailed out by his highest payroll of teammates and coach..... only he is the IDIOT that gets the credit..... despite going for like 6-24 and having pathetic playoff performances and being outproduced or bailed out in the clutch in playoffs by Gasol or Bynum or Lamar Odom and so on......

CHAMPIONSHIP IS A TEAM ACCOMPLISHMENT............ IT NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER MEANS ANY INDIVIDUAL IS BEST OR BETTER THAN THE OTHER MUCH BETTER AND MUCH MORE PRODUCTIVE AND DOMINANT PLAYER JUST BECAUSE HE HAD A BETTER TEAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! STOP LIVING IN THE FANTASY WORLD KOBE FANS....................

correction #2:
lebron puts up IMPACT, PRODUCTIONS & EFFICIENCY as evident of a TALENT/SKILLS.... and a very scary thing for kobe fans called "stats" night in and night out.... a very scary thing... because it is a fact which nullifies kobe fans imaginary fantasy world where kobe can be the best........

correction #3:
kobe is playing 34 minutes a game beause he is not in his prime anymore..... he has problems with knees and everything... his athleticism is down... his work ethic and conditioning can neither ever be the same no matter how much he wants it............ this is all happening because he is DECREASING............ A NATURAL EVOLUTION OF A BBALL PLAYER.............
thats a time where his talent/skills is not at best anymore and he cant therefore produce/impact his team like he could before................. thats why somebody like LEBRON IS BETTER.... once again.................
PHIL IS NOT ****ING RESTING HIM FOR PLAYOFFS YOU IDIOT!!!!! HE IS JUST DONE AND OVER!!!

DixieNourmous
03-25-2011, 05:22 AM
kobe is nothing but a overrated chucker.

http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/2772/kobewin.gif

Pauk, climb outside your little box....

This thread is about Kobe`s footwork, something he has worked on for years. To save a sliver of credibility , you need to sometimes give credit when its due.

You always run to Bron, better this better that....

You left yourself open on this one. Bron has no footwork.

http://thejammerblog.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/kobelebron.jpg http://www.babble.com/CS/blogs/famecrawler/2008/03/01-07/tom-cruise-400a052307.jpg

acbay91
03-25-2011, 05:43 AM
:no:

correction #1:
kobes TEAM wins games/championships.... wins games? Lebron wins even more games than Kobe........... sry... there is a difference... and we have all seen the Head 2 Head matchups where Lebron always humiliates Kobe and win...............

kobe is nothing but a overrated chucker... who gets bailed out by his highest payroll of teammates and coach..... only he is the IDIOT that gets the credit..... despite going for like 6-24 and having pathetic playoff performances and being outproduced or bailed out in the clutch in playoffs by Gasol or Bynum or Lamar Odom and so on......

thank you. lebron always humiliates kobe. but when the 2nd season starts, kobes team picks up the slack more often than not (pau and artests put backs, artest saving game 7 in finals, d-fish saving game 3 of finals...)

the thing about kobe is....i think if you switched kobe with tmac when he was still good, or dwyane wade, or even paul peirce, you'd get same results (3 peat with shaq, back to back rings with pau), but if you switched melo for lebron or kobe for lebron, the cavs teams would never even dream of going 66 and 61 in back to back seasons

one player (lebron) makes his teammates better and is way more of a positive impact. kobe does have a tendency to shoot his team to losses sometimes!

RazorBaLade
03-25-2011, 05:49 AM
thank you. lebron always humiliates kobe. but when the 2nd season starts, kobes team picks up the slack more often than not (pau and artests put backs, artest saving game 7 in finals, d-fish saving game 3 of finals...)

the thing about kobe is....i think if you switched kobe with tmac when he was still good, or dwyane wade, or even paul peirce, you'd get same results (3 peat with shaq, back to back rings with pau), but if you switched melo for lebron or kobe for lebron, the cavs teams would never even dream of going 66 and 61 in back to back seasons

one player (lebron) makes his teammates better and is way more of a positive impact. kobe does have a tendency to shoot his team to losses sometimes!

if u replace shaq with duncan they would have won..... but really only pierce would have worked for more than 1-2 years.. tmac no way..

and if u put s1 on the 06 lakers team they wouldnt get 7th place.. teams are buillt for their superstars.....

DixieNourmous
03-25-2011, 06:08 AM

You may want to watch some film (since your 18 as you say) .

I understand, you want to fit in,, and Bron is all you know. But so much has happened before you knew the difference between a basketball and you own azz.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/

Read up, educate yourself before you look like pauk :lol

andgar923
03-25-2011, 06:29 AM
I can honestly say that the 1 thing Kobe is better than Jordan at, is his foot work!

I was gonna come in here and defend Kobe from the Bron comparisons, and praise him for his footwork, but then this dumb shit.

NBASTATMAN
03-25-2011, 09:57 AM

Kobe said Mj was the master at creating space.. If Kobe's footwork is so good then why do his fans say he takes alot of bad shots? Great footwork allows a slow arse Ppierce to get good looks despite his speed.. And allowed MJ to get better shots than Kobe has ever taken... Even when Mj was up their in age...

NBASTATMAN
03-25-2011, 09:58 AM

I was gonna come in here and defend Kobe from the Bron comparisons, and praise him for his footwork, but then this dumb shit.

:roll:

Bandito
03-25-2011, 04:00 PM

I fell for you dawg!

PP34Deuce
03-25-2011, 04:37 PM
Kobes footwork is great! sometimes I enjoy watching him operate in the post when he is looking to score and not show off or draw fouls.

Cant think of any other guard who has his post game....

Nice props for people giving pierce love, definitely has some of the best footwork in the league too.

20Four
03-25-2011, 09:14 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpuswrs-Svg&feature=related this is a better video... I hAVE NEVE SEEN ANY BBALL PLAYER MAKE THIS KINDA MOVES IN NBA HISTORY

I agree....that video is alot better....WOW :bowdown: :bowdown:

blaze_itt
03-25-2011, 10:54 PM
After watching the video, Kobe just showed that same footwork in the Clips game right now

Dwade305
03-26-2011, 01:50 PM
Didn't know you can take an extra step after stopping your dribble and doing a step back:oldlol:. Refs hate this guy alot huh?? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZqa7sq3dKs&feature=related

Hulk Hogan
03-26-2011, 01:57 PM
Kobe said Mj was the master at creating space.. If Kobe's footwork is so good then why do his fans say he takes alot of bad shots? Great footwork allows a slow arse Ppierce to get good looks despite his speed.. And allowed MJ to get better shots than Kobe has ever taken... Even when Mj was up their in age...

Phil said it himself, Kobe has better BB skills than jordan!

Hulk Hogan
03-26-2011, 02:03 PM
:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

rizzy
03-26-2011, 02:08 PM
"good footwork" aka another artificial statistic Kobe fans invented to mask his non-existing factual statistics.

add to that list "killer instinct" "best bull dog scowl face" and "clutchness of the makes but disregard the misses"

:lol

G-Funk
03-26-2011, 02:26 PM

I never said Jordan was not great or top 3 0r 2 at foot work, I'm just saying what I know...But I would love for you to find some of Jordan's footwork that Kobe can't or hasn't done...I posted a video, Find better footwork by Jordan than that.

LA_Showtime
03-26-2011, 03:22 PM
Didn't know you can take an extra step after stopping your dribble and doing a step back:oldlol:. Refs hate this guy alot huh?? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZqa7sq3dKs&feature=related

Are you implying he traveled? Really? Learn the rules, buddy.

Dwade305
03-26-2011, 03:36 PM
Are you implying he traveled? Really? Learn the rules, buddy.
Are you trying to be the hero Lakers fan trying to defend this travel?:facepalm The stepback is 2 steps. It will be a nicemove if He didnt pick up his pivot foot(left foot) after the stepback but he did so it is a travel. Sometimes he pulls this move off good, sometimes he travels, no need to get butthurt

LA_Showtime
03-26-2011, 04:02 PM
Are you trying to be the hero Lakers fan trying to defend this travel?:facepalm The stepback is 2 steps. It will be a nicemove if He didnt pick up his pivot foot(left foot) after the stepback but he did so it is a travel. Sometimes he pulls this move off good, sometimes he travels, no need to get butthurt

I'm not butt hurt. You need to learn what a "travel" is.

Da_Realist
03-26-2011, 05:52 PM
I never said Jordan was not great or top 3 0r 2 at foot work, I'm just saying what I know...But I would love for you to find some of Jordan's footwork that Kobe can't or hasn't done...I posted a video, Find better footwork by Jordan than that.

Here are a few examples of MJ's footwork I found.

Michael Jordan vs Boston Celtics (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eppI19h1HoI)
0:32
1:07
1:25
1:50
2:01

MJ at MSG (91-93) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZTnXA7DsR0)
0:41
1:09
2:36
6:40
8:50

MJ at MSG (95-96) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FUlkJQxjTA)
5:35
7:03
10:46
12:22
13:29
14:18

MJ at MSG (97-98) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5XW8SK_Sc8)
2:43
4:56
10:41

MJ fadeaway: 1988 or 1998? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p21NvqWL07w)

Michael Jordan loses Rex Chapman (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=II9Rk7Nmec0)

Michael Jordan 91 NBA Finals Game 5 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HcPI5_Lk38)
5:26
7:29

1997 CHI SEA 2-2-97 (8 of 9) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYbVuLg1e_0)
8:52

Scottie Pippen vs Utah 1998 NBA Finals Game 6 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzP8yGB8f94)
5:54

MJ fakes Allan Houston (Jan 1997) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcUwq5xeRyw)

1991 CHI DET Game 3 (7 of 9) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJFhO7efAe8)
7:26

MJ schools Alvin Robertson (Jan 1996) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qio-VS1cnv4)

Da_Realist
03-26-2011, 07:04 PM
^^

I think those MJ videos show that there isn't anything Kobe does that either MJ couldn't do or didn't already do. That pump fake spin move Kobe put on the Knicks? MJ did that against Rex Chapman in the early 90's. MJ spin, pivoted and shot long fadeaways against the Celtics in the late 80's. Conversely, there are some moves that MJ did that I don't think Kobe can do. Those driving into the lane spin moves like the one against the Knicks (here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZTnXA7DsR0) at 2:36) and these against the Lakers (here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HcPI5_Lk38) at 5:26 and 7:29).

Most of Kobe's best moves are made because he has to come up with a 3rd or 4th option to get open. For the most part, MJ didn't have to resort to shooting too many of those pump fake, pump fake, pump fake, spin around and shoot the shot type moves because

a) MJ's initial move was usually so good, he could get a clean shot easier. Why pump fake if you got a clear look at the basket?

b) MJ was a lot more decisive with the ball. In other words, he didn't pussyfoot around. When he got the ball, he attacked. He didn't probe and wait...dribble, dribble...attack, pump fake 3 times and spin around to shoot the ball. MJ immediately put you on the defensive.

c) MJ was just more athletic. When he posted up and spin, more times than not, he could just rise up or fadeaway for a clean look at the basket even in the late 90's. He only needed one move...maybe two...but usually no more than that. When MJ could post, spin and shoot...Kobe would need to post, spin, fake, spin around again and then shoot the shot.

bstickq1
03-26-2011, 07:57 PM
^^

I think those MJ videos show that there isn't anything Kobe does that either MJ couldn't do or didn't already do. That pump fake spin move Kobe put on the Knicks? MJ did that against Rex Chapman in the early 90's. MJ spin, pivoted and shot long fadeaways against the Celtics in the late 80's. Conversely, there are some moves that MJ did that I don't think Kobe can do. Those driving into the lane spin moves like the one against the Knicks (here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZTnXA7DsR0) at 2:36) and these against the Lakers (here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HcPI5_Lk38) at 5:26 and 7:29).

The driving in the lane spin move isn't even that uncommon in this league, and Kobe has done it numerous times, like here, with a between the legs thrown in for good measure.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kY_Mdm6db0E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbnmNF1sdrI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_po10pjEtDc&feature=related

Wade does that move practically every game.

The other two you linked are very common as far as footwork is concerned.

As for MJ's spin on Chapman, he didn't execute it all that well, and really only spun halfway around, it looked more like an improvisation based on the defense than a planned and well executed move as in Bryant's case.

SuddenImpact09
03-26-2011, 09:19 PM
I say if you are going to steal moves you might as well steal from the best. And since Kobe turned himself into one of the best it somewhat evens out.

I think Kobe's main disadvantage is the fact that opposing defenses can study Jordan in relation to how to study Kobe.

When Jordan was coming up there was no film to study because Jordan was the first of his kind. So defenses like the Pistons and the Knicks had to figure him out. Now I bet when teams game plan against Kobe, they can go back and reference the great defenses that stopped Jordan.

Jordan is of course the best but you cant say Kobe hasnt pulled his weight since he's been in the league and in my belief still the best player in the game.

The best player doesn't always mean who puts up the best stats, but more so who can combine that with the intangibles like hard work and practice. I don't see anybody who puts in more hard work and practice than Kobe.

Its reasons like above that keep T-Mac, Vince Carter, Allen Iverson and such people out of the "best" category.

Mr. I'm So Rad
03-26-2011, 09:29 PM
:applause:

whoartthou
03-26-2011, 09:38 PM
^^

Most of Kobe's best moves are made because he has to come up with a 3rd or 4th option to get open. For the most part, MJ didn't have to resort to shooting too many of those pump fake, pump fake, pump fake, spin around and shoot the shot type moves because

a) MJ's initial move was usually so good, he could get a clean shot easier. Why pump fake if you got a clear look at the basket?

b) MJ was a lot more decisive with the ball. In other words, he didn't pussyfoot around. When he got the ball, he attacked. He didn't probe and wait...dribble, dribble...attack, pump fake 3 times and spin around to shoot the ball. MJ immediately put you on the defensive.

c) MJ was just more athletic. When he posted up and spin, more times than not, he could just rise up or fadeaway for a clean look at the basket even in the late 90's. He only needed one move...maybe two...but usually no more than that. When MJ could post, spin and shoot...Kobe would need to post, spin, fake, spin around again and then shoot the shot.
:bowdown:

G-Funk
03-26-2011, 09:56 PM
Here are a few examples of MJ's footwork I found.

Michael Jordan vs Boston Celtics (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eppI19h1HoI)
0:32
1:07
1:25
1:50
2:01

MJ at MSG (91-93) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZTnXA7DsR0)
0:41
1:09
2:36
6:40
8:50

MJ at MSG (95-96) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FUlkJQxjTA)
5:35
7:03
10:46
12:22
13:29
14:18

MJ at MSG (97-98) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5XW8SK_Sc8)
2:43
4:56
10:41

MJ fadeaway: 1988 or 1998? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p21NvqWL07w)

Michael Jordan loses Rex Chapman (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=II9Rk7Nmec0)

Michael Jordan 91 NBA Finals Game 5 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HcPI5_Lk38)
5:26
7:29

1997 CHI SEA 2-2-97 (8 of 9) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYbVuLg1e_0)
8:52

Scottie Pippen vs Utah 1998 NBA Finals Game 6 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzP8yGB8f94)
5:54

MJ fakes Allan Houston (Jan 1997) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcUwq5xeRyw)

1991 CHI DET Game 3 (7 of 9) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJFhO7efAe8)
7:26

MJ schools Alvin Robertson (Jan 1996) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qio-VS1cnv4)

thanx ill check them out in a bit

whoartthou
03-26-2011, 09:56 PM
thanx ill check them out in a bit

kobe/mj have insane footwoork.

OldSchoolBBall
03-26-2011, 10:17 PM
No one has ever sat around and made a compilation of Jordan's footwork specifically, which is why these Kobe fans act like Jordan has never done this stuff or done other things Kobe hasn't (or done the same things with a fluidity/speed Kobe can't match). Here's one example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DpPeKSUUsc#t=4m31s

Jordan has done this fake spin dozens of times in his career, including once in 1996 vs. Atlanta in the post where it's even faster/smoother than this one, and then he rises into a jumper immediately after losing the defender. It was up on youtube, but I haven't been able to find it again despite trying a few times.

Here's another example of that pirouette footwork, vs. Philly:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Doz4lfCmnM#t=5m33s

I think those MJ videos show that there isn't anything Kobe does that either MJ couldn't do or didn't already do. That pump fake spin move Kobe put on the Knicks? MJ did that against Rex Chapman in the early 90's. MJ spin, pivoted and shot long fadeaways against the Celtics in the late 80's. Conversely, there are some moves that MJ did that I don't think Kobe can do. Those driving into the lane spin moves like the one against the Knicks (here at 2:36) and these against the Lakers (here at 5:26 and 7:29).

Exactly.

As for MJ's spin on Chapman, he didn't execute it all that well, and really only spun halfway around, it looked more like an improvisation based on the defense than a planned and well executed move as in Bryant's case.

lol @ "he didn't execute it that well." It was the same exact move; the only difference being that the defender didn't fully clear him so he couldn't turn all the way inward due to the defender's body still being there partially making contact with his own.

But yeah, it WASN'T planned - it was improvised on the fly, like everything else Jordan did. Jordan didn't sit around for years practicing various footwork moves like I'm sure Kobe does, because the game just flowed out of him instinctively. He could react and adjust to any defense with the proper move in any situation. That was the genius of Jordan, who is easily the most creative player in the history of the game. He was the originator, the innovator, the natural. Kobe is the imitator, someone who has mastered the technical proficiency, but who will never have the creative genius or ability of the master.

Honestly, Kobe has never done a single thing footwork-wise that Jordan didn't. He may do them MORE FREQUENTLY, but that's because he HAS TO for various reasons (as Da Realist noted). Jordan didn't need to perform 10 jab steps and shot fakes to get a good look.

whoartthou
03-26-2011, 10:24 PM
No one has ever sat around and made a compilation of Jordan's footwork specifically, which is why these Kobe fans act like Jordan has never done this stuff or done other things Kobe hasn't (or done the same things with a fluidity/speed Kobe can't match). Here's one example:

Jordan has done this fake spin dozens of times in his career, including once in 1996 vs. Atlanta in the post where it's even faster/smoother than this one, and then he rises into a jumper immediately after losing the defender. It was up on youtube, but I haven't been able to find it again despite trying a few times.

Exactly.

lol @ "he didn't execute it that well." It was the same exact move; the only difference being that the defender didn't fully clear him so he couldn't turn all the way inward due to the defender's body still being there partially making contact with his own.

But yeah, it WASN'T planned - it was improvised on the fly, like everything else Jordan did. Jordan didn't sit around for years practicing various footwork moves like I'm sure Kobe does, because the game just flowed out of him instinctively. He could react and adjust to any defense with the proper move in any situation. That was the genius of Jordan, who is easily the most creative player in the history of the game. He was the originator, the innovator, the natural. Kobe is the imitator, someone who has mastered the technical proficiency, but who will never have the creative genius or ability of the master.

Honestly, Kobe has never done a single thing footwork-wise that Jordan didn't. He may do them MORE FREQUENTLY, but that's because he HAS TO for various reasons (as Da Realist noted). Jordan didn't need to perform 10 jab steps and shot fakes to get a good look.

yep. Jordans athletic ability and ability to get his defender off guard is why he did not need to use those "pretty" moves as often as kobe.

bstickq1
03-26-2011, 10:34 PM

Using the reverse pivot off the dribble/not in combination with a shot attempt has probably been done by 99% of the NBA. Hardly the same thing.

Jordan doesn't display near the same balance in this move as we have seen from Kobe on multiple occasions. Maybe he could have if the situation had been different. But if this is the only example of him performing it, than that's all we have.

OldSchoolBBall
03-26-2011, 10:38 PM
Using the reverse pivot off the dribble/not in combination with a shot attempt has probably been done by 99% of the NBA. Hardly the same thing.

Yeah, TODAY. Good luck finding anyone doing that before Jordan. And to this day, no one does it with the same speed/fluidity, which was my point. I didnt intend that as an example of a move Kobe has never done - in fact, I know he's done it, because I've seen him do it. When I said "here's one example," I meant one example of MJ's footwork, not an example of him doing something Kobe's never done. But if you want to see something Kobe's never done in exactly this manner, here you go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yc8O91Fausg#t=0m6s

Wheeling fake drive/pull-up into hard dribble in the opposite direction into a stepback.

Jordan doesn't display near the same balance in this move as we have seen from Kobe on multiple occasions. Maybe he could have if the situation had been different. But if this is the only example of him performing it, than that's all we have.

Balance? :oldlol: Yeah, because in Kobe's cases the defenders have sailed past him fully clear of him. Here Chapman comes down still on MJ's side/hip, preventing a full turn.

DixieNourmous
03-26-2011, 11:30 PM
I thought this thread was about Kobe`s footwork? :confusedshrug:

bstickq1
03-27-2011, 12:14 AM
Yeah, TODAY. Good luck finding anyone doing that before Jordan. And to this day, no one does it with the same speed/fluidity, which was my point. I didnt intend that as an example of a move Kobe has never done - in fact, I know he's done it, because I've seen him do it. When I said "here's one example," I meant one example of MJ's footwork, not an example of him doing something Kobe's never done. But if you want to see something Kobe's never done in exactly this manner, here you go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yc8O91Fausg#t=0m6s

Wheeling fake drive/pull-up into hard dribble in the opposite direction into a stepback.

Jordan definitely was ahead of his time, and in order to do that you have to be an inventor, certainly. As for that vid, that is an nice combo of different moves, and I can't remember Bryant doing that specific combo off the top of my head, although it wouldn't surprise me if he had considering he along with everyone else obviously learns moves from past players, and only the more difficult moves from players like Jordan aren't seen in games by a ton of players that play today.

Here is a combo I doubt Jordan has ever done, unless you can find an example -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naZTSykKwRQ

Balance? :oldlol: Yeah, because in Kobe's cases the defenders have sailed past him fully clear of him. Here Chapman comes down still on MJ's side/hip, preventing a full turn.
As for Jordan being off balance, it's debatable with the slightly different circumstances of how the defender is defending as you say, but if you look closely before he makes his pivot he shuffles his right foot, which I think is what throws off his balance and makes his spin not as smooth.

BallPhunk
03-27-2011, 12:36 AM
Some great clips all the way around. As a basketball fan, two things are crystal clear:

1. Those people hating on, not appreciating and acknowledging Jordan are sad.

2. Those people hating on, not appreciating and acknowledging Kobe are sad.

http://mediaoutrage.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/KobeJordan3.jpg
I count myself very luck to have gotten to watch them both.

BigBalla44
03-27-2011, 12:50 AM

That's the difference. Kobe is calculated while Jordan is instinctive. Nothing wrong with either. But I look at it this way, Kobe is the brightest physics professor at Princeton or MIT.

They know everything about physics by thoroughly studying the subject.

Jordan is Albert Einstein in that he has more natural talent and changed the subject (or game) forever. Better athletic ability, better IQ, and better basketball savvy. Considered a genius from the very beginning.

I truly believe Kobe works a little harder than Jordan did, but that's only because he has to.

Da_Realist
03-27-2011, 01:00 AM
That's the difference. Kobe is calculated while Jordan is instinctive. Nothing wrong with either. But I look at it this way, Kobe is the brightest physics professor at Princeton or MIT.

Jordan is Albert Einstein in that he has more natural talent and changed the subject (or game) forever. Better athletic ability, better IQ, and better basketball savvy. Considered a genius from the very beginning.

I truly believe Kobe works a little harder than Jordan did, but that's only because he has to.

I agree with everything you said, though I'd change the end a little. Kobe works harder than Jordan did to get a clean look at the basket. Jordan worked harder than Kobe did to get a good shot. Huge difference.

Nice analogy, by the way :cheers:

BigBalla44
03-27-2011, 01:03 AM
I agree with everything you said, though I'd change the end a little. Kobe works harder than Jordan did to get a clean look at the basket. Jordan worked harder than Kobe did to get a good shot. Huge difference.

That's a great point.

whoartthou
03-27-2011, 01:03 AM

Lets not act like jordan wasn't a student of the game either.

But i agree, jordans moves are more instinctive (i.e., it just came to him during game situations). Kobe, on the other hand, sort of "mimics" moves, so it does not seem all that natural.

Both are great at what they do however.

whoartthou
03-27-2011, 01:05 AM

agreed

Da_Realist
03-27-2011, 01:33 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MC4On7E088#t=11m03s

Da_Realist
03-27-2011, 01:41 AM
No need for pump fakes when you can spin this fast :oldlol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MC4On7E088#t=12m50s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amn9jQITb9I#t=0m49s

G-Funk
03-27-2011, 02:54 AM
No need for pump fakes when you can spin this fast :oldlol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MC4On7E088#t=12m50s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amn9jQITb9I#t=0m49s

Kobe has done that pleanty of times too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpwNTK2d16A

3:30
4:43

Nice post moves

5:16
5:50

You said you have only seen MJ do t his move
7:12

Sick foot work
7:16

Again, you said he can't make this move, only Jordan

7:20

This video only show 1 season of highlight, and that's just a few...

kobe/mj have insane footwoork.

100 % correct!

bstickq1
03-27-2011, 03:22 AM
Lets not act like jordan wasn't a student of the game either.

But i agree, jordans moves are more instinctive (i.e., it just came to him during game situations). Kobe, on the other hand, sort of "mimics" moves, so it does not seem all that natural.

Both are great at what they do however.
I'm pretty confident in saying the vast majority of Jordan's repertoire of moves were practiced endlessly outside of games just like Kobe's.

Unless we could read minds I think it's a little ridiculous to suggest one is working off of instincts more than the other.

The planning portion of Bryant's move that I mentioned occurred when the defender jumped into the air, and he pulled out the appropriate move from his bag to score the shot. From my perspective, Jordan looked in his bag, didn't find a suitable existing move and created one on the fly. I'd wager both were thought through, even in that split second.

BigBalla44
03-27-2011, 07:31 AM
Unless we could read minds I think it's a little ridiculous to suggest one is working off of instincts more than the other.

You compared two clips and and say Jordan's move was done on the fly and then you say the quote above. Have you made up your mind yet? How can you make that judgement yet claim it's ridiculous to do so?

Way to contradict yourself.

Besides, reading minds is what Kobe homers do. There are countless current and past players who say Jordan > Kobe, yet Kobe homers claim those guys have an obligation to protect their era. They never even consider the thought of maybe these players are just giving their own impartial opinion. Even Kobe will say MJ is the greatest, but then Kobetards will claim he's just being humble.

Isnt that reading minds?

As to whether Kobe having much better skills, footwork, or whatever criteria Kobe homers use to put Kobe above Jordan, I'll just say the footage doesnt lie and as a result, the numbers dont lie. Why should Kobe doing 5 jab steps and 8 pump fakes before taking the fadeaway be considered "more skillful" than Jordan doing half of those moves while still creating more separation from the defender than Kobe has ever done? Keep in mind MJ was doing this on the likes of a younger Paul Pierce as a 40 year old Wizard.

Other than his lower bball IQ, this wasted movement or "skills" as you like it call it, is what makes Kobe a less efficient player than MJ.

Da_Realist
03-27-2011, 09:29 AM
Kobe has done that pleanty of times too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpwNTK2d16A
3:30
4:43

So has quite a few people, just not with the same speed. Look at how quick this is --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4KpOfH9y98

When you have MJ's speed and decisiveness, you don't need 3 days to make a move. The video you posted is impressive, but MJ wouldn't have needed to do all that. I still haven't seen much that Kobe has done from a skill point of view that MJ couldn't or didn't except for left-handed jumpshots.

And by the way, MJ was a lot better using his left hand driving to the basket than Kobe is. Way more fluid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eppI19h1HoI#t=1m51s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFczOVdBX4I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWXZDLyK17s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9oyzdwfuoc#t=8m40s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1nu1Ky7QAI#t=11m48s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dy_nS9CHiF8

bstickq1
03-27-2011, 08:32 PM
You compared two clips and and say Jordan's move was done on the fly and then you say the quote above. Have you made up your mind yet? How can you make that judgement yet claim it's ridiculous to do so?

Way to contradict yourself.

When I compared the two moves I mentioned nothing about whether one acted on instinct more than the other. There is no contradiction, sorry.

bstickq1
03-27-2011, 09:17 PM
So has quite a few people, just not with the same speed. Look at how quick this is --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4KpOfH9y98

Kobe could do this move very quickly, this one is quicker than the particular one in your link -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q37GSznjz8s&playnext=1&list=PL9C98FDCA351F6F8A

And by the way, MJ was a lot better using his left hand driving to the basket than Kobe is. Way more fluid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eppI19h1HoI#t=1m51s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFczOVdBX4I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWXZDLyK17s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9oyzdwfuoc#t=8m40s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1nu1Ky7QAI#t=11m48s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dy_nS9CHiF8

I'm assuming you are referring to the finish and not the drive? (I'm assuming because a large portion of the NBA can dribble almost as well with their off hand as their good one)
If so, Kobe has quite a few fluid looking left handed finishes around the rim, but Jordan in general looks more fluid than anyone else really left or right.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Epn2M9yI-ag#t=0m31s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KQd_GWV93k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGVKeFnEI58#t=0m12s

Here is a move Bryant does a lot that I found of Jordan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDmjhWE_yhg&feature=related

Da_Realist
03-27-2011, 09:28 PM
Kobe could do this move very quickly, this one is quicker than the particular one in your link -

You seriously think that was quicker than the Jordan one?

BigBalla44
03-27-2011, 09:38 PM
When I compared the two moves I mentioned nothing about whether one acted on instinct more than the other. There is no contradiction, sorry.

So what does this mean then?

The planning portion of Bryant's move that I mentioned occurred when the defender jumped into the air, and he pulled out the appropriate move from his bag to score the shot. From my perspective, Jordan looked in his bag, didn't find a suitable existing move and created one on the fly. I'd wager both were thought through, even in that split second.

So youre saying "didn't find a suitable existing move and created one on the fly" does not mean the same as instinct?

Please tell me what's the difference between the two?

Your initial argument saying Kobe has better footwork or skills is flawed as well. Answer my question. Why does Kobe doing more moves to get his shot off be considered more "skillful" than a far more efficient MJ?

eliteballer
03-27-2011, 09:40 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTWTcx7rL78&feature=related&t=1m50s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHW4nmBQ2i4&t=1m43s

whoartthou
03-27-2011, 09:42 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTWTcx7rL78&feature=related&t=1m50s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHW4nmBQ2i4&t=1m43s
nice vids :cheers:

bstickq1
03-27-2011, 10:06 PM
You seriously think that was quicker than the Jordan one?
Much quicker actually. The only way I could see anyone thinking other wise would be if they were including the time Kobe stood still with the ball in comparison to Jordan executing immediately. That isn't part of the move.

So youre saying "didn't find a suitable existing move and created one on the fly" does not mean the same as instinct?

Please tell me what's the difference between the two?

Does Jordan know how to pivot? Yes.
Does he know how to spin backwards? Yes.
Does he know that he needs to keep the ball away from the defender? Yes.
Does he know where the basket is and where other nearby defenders are? Yes.

Creating a move says nothing about whether or not it was instinctive.

Comparing who is using a higher level of consciousness to perform their moves (which is what "instinctive" means in this case) is what I stated would require mind reading.

Your initial argument saying Kobe has better footwork or skills is flawed as well. Answer my question. Why does Kobe doing more moves to get his shot off be considered more "skillful" than a far more efficient MJ?
Answer my question first. When did I say Kobe was more skilled?

Da_Realist
03-27-2011, 10:35 PM
Much quicker actually. The only way I could see anyone thinking other wise would be if they were including the time Kobe stood still with the ball in comparison to Jordan executing immediately. That isn't part of the move.

WOW :facepalm

:oldlol:

Da_Realist
04-06-2011, 11:09 PM
22 years ago --> MJ footwork against DJ (1989) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEqrzqfcwBo)

Da_Realist
04-06-2011, 11:40 PM

I'm assuming you are referring to the finish and not the drive? (I'm assuming because a large portion of the NBA can dribble almost as well with their off hand as their good one)
If so, Kobe has quite a few fluid looking left handed finishes around the rim, but Jordan in general looks more fluid than anyone else really left or right.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Epn2M9yI-ag#t=0m31s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KQd_GWV93k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGVKeFnEI58#t=0m12s

Here is a move Bryant does a lot that I found of Jordan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDmjhWE_yhg&feature=related

Look at how he controls the ball lefthanded --> MJ lefthanded And1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aYJG8g5d0c)

juju151111
04-06-2011, 11:56 PM
Look at how he controls the ball lefthanded --> MJ lefthanded And1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aYJG8g5d0c)
That's because Mj has mits hands. Also thanks for uploading these new woodwork vids. I always wanted to see a woodwork mix of Mj.96-98 had some crazy footwork

DJmicah
04-07-2011, 12:11 AM
His Footwork Is One of The Best (if not THE BEST) in The Game

PowerGlove
04-07-2011, 12:32 AM
Now I'm 100% sure Laker/Kobe fans talk more about Lebron than anyone else. Stop jockriding, you guys cant even compliment one player without sending a shot at another.

kaybee
04-07-2011, 01:00 AM
Both Hakeem Olajuwon and Kevin McHale had better footwork than Kobe Bryant. I seriously doubt if Kobe would take pointers from The Dream if his footwork was already superior. -__-

Da_Realist
04-08-2011, 11:56 AM
That's because Mj has mits hands. Also thanks for uploading these new woodwork vids. I always wanted to see a woodwork mix of Mj.96-98 had some crazy footwork

Left handed layup from under the basket --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYAPnf7sKqA#t=0m08s

f0und
04-08-2011, 11:59 AM
for all his great footwork, you'd think he'd routinely set himself up for easy looks. great footwork, but his dumb shot selection cancels it out.

sekachu
04-08-2011, 02:07 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q37GS...FDCA351F 6F8A

lol at kobe does it quicker than MJ, you know why kobe needs more dribble to get off his shot? He isn't as quick as MJ

eliteballer
04-08-2011, 03:51 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhA0zCJV6mc

1st play:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gK5Dg7mibpw&feature=related