PDA

View Full Version : Just watched Blade Runner for the first time...

Clippersfan86
04-01-2011, 02:42 PM
Man this was a classic kick ass 80's sci fi/action film! Loved it. The setting reminded me of Total Recall. I'm surprised this one slipped by me previously but thank God for Netflix instant que.

FatComputerNerd
04-01-2011, 02:45 PM
A true classic. Not only one of the best sci-fi films of all time, but also a riveting social commentary.

rufuspaul
04-01-2011, 02:46 PM
Man this was a classic kick ass 80's sci fi/action film! Loved it. The setting reminded me of Total Recall. I'm surprised this one slipped by me previously but thank God for Netflix instant que.

Definitely in my top 5 sci fi movies of all time. Ridley Scott creates such a great atmosphere. What do you think of the ending? * White text spoiler.

Is Harrison Ford a replicant?

Clippersfan86
04-01-2011, 02:47 PM
A true classic. Not only one of the best sci-fi films of all time, but also a riveting social commentary.

Definitely had some undertones that's for sure. Why don't they make movies like this anymore? Ones that leave you with so many questions of possibilities etc. The only recent one that was like this was Surrogates. A movie I loved but that got really bad reviews. Someone needs to revive the Sci-fi genre for sure.

Clippersfan86
04-01-2011, 02:49 PM
Definitely in my top 5 sci fi movies of all time. Ridley Scott creates such a great atmosphere. What do you think of the ending? * White text spoiler.

Is Harrison Ford a replicant?

Um... I don't think he is to be honest. I do know it can go either way though. When will science be able to make me my own "Rachel" is what I want to know :cheers:.

Nick Young
04-01-2011, 03:33 PM
akira ripoff

oh the horror
04-01-2011, 03:39 PM

Indeed. I saw it recently on there as well. It was one of those films that Ive heard about for awhile now, and various people telling me how cool it was, but I just never got around to it.

Finally one night, out of boredom, I just decided to watch, and was pleasantly surprised. Given the period this movie came out (early 80s) I have to say I liked it a lot.

The ending was cool when he figures out "Gaff" (edward james olmos) stopped by his apartment because of the origami left behind, and then pieces together that Gaff basically let him, and the replicant go to live their lives together.

Plus, the scenery was just awesome.

ukplayer4
04-01-2011, 03:42 PM
akira ripoff

interesting, considering blade runner predates akira by about what, 15 years?

Clippersfan86
04-01-2011, 03:48 PM
Indeed. I saw it recently on there as well. It was one of those films that Ive heard about for awhile now, and various people telling me how cool it was, but I just never got around to it.

Finally one night, out of boredom, I just decided to watch, and was pleasantly surprised. Given the period this movie came out (early 80s) I have to say I liked it a lot.

The ending was cool when he figures out "Gaff" (edward james olmos) stopped by his apartment because of the origami left behind, and then pieces together that Gaff basically let him, and the replicant go to live their lives together.

Plus, the scenery was just awesome.

Same situation for me. Had heard about it from buddies for a long time and never got around to it and saw it in the this morning. Dude I didn't even realize Gaff was Olmos! LOL. They did a good job with his costume/face work. As for it being an 80's film that's okay with me. I'm only 25... but I LOVED watching all these odd sci fi movies of the 80's and 90's growing up. Even the corny classic fantasy ones like Highlander and all that. Search the Sci-fi instant queue section there are a couple other classics like this that everyone talks about that I've never seen you should check out.

Like "Invasion of the body snatchers" and "Mad Max".

Clippersfan86
04-01-2011, 03:49 PM

It's Nick Young we are talking about :oldlol: . He thinks Nick Young is a star player of sorts..

fos
04-01-2011, 03:50 PM
Awesome movie, I just recently watched it all the way through myself. Deckard is soooo a replicant.

Clippersfan86
04-01-2011, 03:54 PM
Awesome movie, I just recently watched it all the way through myself. Deckard is soooo a replicant.

Gah damn you guys! People keep saying this and I didn't pick it up. I was a bit distracted the last 25 minutes of movie. Guess I need to rewatch it right now. If he's a replicant how come he has no 4 year age limit like all the others besides Rachel did?

Rasheed1
04-01-2011, 03:54 PM
movie was cool... Saw it back when it came out.... Harrison Ford was on fire back then...

Wasnt Star wars ir Raiders of the lost Ark... but it was a good movie.. A little bleak but good

I just remember him getting his ass kicked in the rain on the roof somewhere in a hopeless futuristic city

Riddler
04-01-2011, 03:55 PM
I have still not seen this movie...

I guess I'll check it out sometime.

Clippersfan86
04-01-2011, 03:56 PM
movie was cool... Saw it back when it came out.... Harrison Ford was on fire back then...

Wasnt Star wars ir Raiders of the lost Ark... but it was a good movie.. A little bleak but good

I just remember him getting his ass kicked in the rain on the roof somewhere in a hopeless futuristic city

Dude it looks like the only thing these classic setting sci fi/futuristic movies do is put up a ton of neon lights and make the city look like shit. LOL. It's seriously basically a ghetto city with a bunch of neon lights and weird people. Crazy how that could capture our imagination. The cars of the "future" are always old looking too...

oh the horror
04-01-2011, 03:59 PM

Why do people think this? I mean there were suspicions here and there, but nothing in the movie EVER really indicated anything like that.

oh the horror
04-01-2011, 04:00 PM
Man, sci fi movies from the 80s, were thee fu*king best.

Back before this era of overly CGI mish mash, movies were just more charming, and endearing.

Movies LOOK better now, but something about them strikes me as being so cold, and corporate.

glidedrxlr22
04-01-2011, 04:02 PM
I have not seen it either.....and my favorite decade for movies is the 80s!

Clippersfan86
04-01-2011, 04:03 PM
Man, sci fi movies from the 80s, were thee fu*king best.

Back before this era of overly CGI mish mash, movies were just more charming, and endearing.

Movies LOOK better now, but something about them strikes me as being so cold, and corporate.

I'm a big time movie junky and I agree. You don't get as into movies or as attached to movies nowadays. I still have genres I like.. such as comedy and superhero films and recent years but nothing compares to the classic 80's and 90's movies for me. Even the horror movies back then were 10 times better.

oh the horror
04-01-2011, 04:05 PM
Even the horror movies back then were 10 times better.

Have you seen Suspiria?

Clippersfan86
04-01-2011, 04:07 PM
Have you seen Suspiria?

Nope. I just pulled it up on IMDB though and it has a pretty good rating. Did you see it in the instant queue or is it just something I need to see?

oh the horror
04-01-2011, 04:09 PM
Nope. I just pulled it up on IMDB though and it has a pretty good rating. Did you see it in the instant queue or is it just something I need to see? I'm a big fan of comedy, fantasy, sci fi, horror/suspense thrillers, action and adventure. So basically like everything :lol .

I saw it awhile back after a friend told me about it.

Its an older horror movie (70s) so it will look absolutely dated, but its filmed pretty stylishly, and the atmosphere set in the film is good. The pacing can be a bit slow, but if you like horror/suspense/thriller films, then this should be good.

Think Rosemary's Baby.

Its on Netflix.

glidedrxlr22
04-01-2011, 04:11 PM
I believe Suspiria is an Italian film by either Fulci or Argento....eventhough Suspiria is not one, these guys did a few zombie movies during the zombie craze of the 70s trying to capitalize on the success of Dawn of the Dead here in the states.

Clippersfan86
04-01-2011, 04:13 PM
I saw it awhile back after a friend told me about it.

Its an older horror movie (70s) so it will look absolutely dated, but its filmed pretty stylishly, and the atmosphere set in the film is good. The pacing can be a bit slow, but if you like horror/suspense/thriller films, then this should be good.

Think Rosemary's Baby.

Its on Netflix.

Filming style and time period is the same as The Exorcist and the Omen so I'll be fine. Those are my favorite horror films. Dude I still haven't seen Rosemary's. Suspiria or Rosemary's scarier? Aww man. Rosemary's isn't in queue anymore! Should of watched it when it was.

oh the horror
04-01-2011, 04:15 PM
I believe Suspiria is an Italian film by either Fulci or Argento....eventhough Suspiria is one, these guys did a few zombie movies during the zombie craze of the 70s trying to capitalize on the success of Dawn of the Dead here in the states.

Its Argento. I didnt think I'd like it, but the creepy mood music, plus the way it was filmed....to be honest, it creeped me out during a few scenes considering the subject matter of "witches" isnt that scary in general. Just love the way the director laid out several scenes, and the backgrounds. Awesome stuff.

The theme music is one of the best ive ever heard

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJUaCAIxSk4

oh the horror
04-01-2011, 04:16 PM
Filming style and time period is the same as The Exorcist and the Omen so I'll be fine. Those are my favorite horror films. Dude I still haven't seen Rosemary's. Suspiria or Rosemary's scarier?

Thats a hard one...for me, Rosemary's was "scarier" and Suspiria was "creepier" if that makes any sense?

DuMa
04-01-2011, 04:18 PM
i liked it but i thought it was getting overrated over the years. its not really a cult favorite. nor does it deserve to be. theres still many flaws like the ending where ford doesnt even say one word in the exchange. plus its very slow moving and is supposed to immerse the audience into the background but i found the background to be very boring. it wasnt ahead of its time. it was just perfectly acceptable for the 80s.

Clippersfan86
04-01-2011, 04:18 PM
Have you seen "The Ninth Gate" with Johnny Depp? Another great but more modern film of this genre. Also a similar one is the one Arnold does. Where that demon chick is after him the whole movie or w/e. Devil's Advocate too. Have any of you seen Hideaway with Jeff Goldblum? It looks good.

Clippersfan86
04-01-2011, 04:19 PM
Thats a hard one...for me, Rosemary's was "scarier" and Suspiria was "creepier" if that makes any sense?

Makes perfect sense. It's like the difference between a horror film and a thriller/suspense etc.

pete's montreux
04-01-2011, 04:19 PM
Its Argento. I didnt think I'd like it, but the creepy mood music, plus the way it was filmed....to be honest, it creeped me out during a few scenes considering the subject matter of "witches" isnt that scary in general. Just love the way the director laid out several scenes, and the backgrounds. Awesome stuff.

You should look into Argento's entire filmography if you liked Suspiria, his style is universal throughout his career, although Suspiria's sound effects and music were better than anything he ever did.

Just like to point out that the 5 disc Blade Runner Blu Ray is probably the greatest BD deal ever, only $30.00 for something that's easily worth over $100.

glidedrxlr22
04-01-2011, 04:20 PM
Lucio Fulci's theme from Zombie creeps me out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wZ7Bri17oI

pete's montreux
04-01-2011, 04:22 PM
Check out this badass RJD2 song that heavily samples sounds and music from Suspiria: Weather People (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZcydyS1qTg)

Clippersfan86
04-01-2011, 04:22 PM
Oh BTW I have a great one you guys have probably never seen that isn't well known. It's available on Instant queue now and I watched it last month and was very pleasantly surprised. It plays out like a Stephen King movie/novel. That kind of creepiness where you're thinking the whole time "Wtf was that!?" or "Wtf just happened". Of course it also comes with a crazy twist in the end. It creeped me the hell out lol.

It's called "Dead End" with Ray Wise as the lead.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0308152/

oh the horror
04-01-2011, 04:27 PM
Have you seen "The Ninth Gate" with Johnny Depp?

Yeah, I actually went out and bought that on dvd after seeing it on cable. I thought it was awesome. Yet another one of those movies where you walk away asking questions though. To this day, I still wonder if the blonde broad was the Devil, and wtf was the deal with the castle?

Makes perfect sense. It's like the difference between a horror film and a thriller/suspense etc.

Both are horror/suspense movies. The pacing in them is what drives you up the wall the most, and plays with your senses. By the end of the movie, you're climbing up the walls just dying to find out wtf the big deal, and or secret is because they've been putting you "on edge" the entire time. One is creepier though, and I believe its Suspiria, due to the style in which the director films.

You should look into Argento's entire filmography if you liked Suspiria, his style is universal throughout his career, although Suspiria's sound effects and music were better than anything he ever did.

Everyone is telling me to go for that as well. Im probably going to search through Netflix.

oh the horror
04-01-2011, 04:28 PM
Oh BTW I have a great one you guys have probably never seen that isn't well known. It's available on Instant queue now and I watched it last month and was very pleasantly surprised. It plays out like a Stephen King movie/novel. That kind of creepiness where you're thinking the whole time "Wtf was that!?" or "Wtf just happened". Of course it also comes with a crazy twist in the end. It creeped me the hell out lol.

It's called "Dead End" with Ray Wise as the lead.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0308152/

I saw that one late night on cable. Its creepy as shit considering that the movie takes place on just one highway in the middle of nowhere.

oh the horror
04-01-2011, 04:29 PM
Lucio Fulci's theme from Zombie creeps me out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wZ7Bri17oI

Iconic scene from the movie is that damn eyeball scene.

http://www.braineater.com/fulci/zombie_eye1.jpg

Clippersfan86
04-01-2011, 04:31 PM
I saw that one late night on cable. Its creepy as shit considering that the movie takes place on just one highway in the middle of nowhere.

I know! The chick in the beginning.. that they just invite into the car. You could tell that bi*** was bad news! I would of driven off as fast as possible! Did it have that Stephen King feel in your opinion? We seem to have similar taste in movies. If you see any others on Netflix bump this thread. Have you seen Invasion of body snatchers or mad max? I just saved those.

pete's montreux
04-01-2011, 04:32 PM
Yeah, I actually went out and bought that on dvd after seeing it on cable. I thought it was awesome. Yet another one of those movies where you walk away asking questions though. To this day, I still wonder if the blonde broad was the Devil, and wtf was the deal with the castle?

Both are horror/suspense movies. The pacing in them is what drives you up the wall the most, and plays with your senses. By the end of the movie, you're climbing up the walls just dying to find out wtf the big deal, and or secret is because they've been putting you "on edge" the entire time. One is creepier though, and I believe its Suspiria, due to the style in which the director films.

Everyone is telling me to go for that as well. Im probably going to search through Netflix.

Suspiria is actually part of a trilogy, and I use the word trilogy loosely. It's not really a trilogy like say...Back to the Future, more like the Man With No Name, where the same theme or symbolism is used. It goes Suspira, Inferno and then Mother of Tears

Start off with that to finish off the trilogy if you'd like.

glidedrxlr22
04-01-2011, 04:35 PM
Iconic scene from the movie is that damn eyeball scene.

http://www.braineater.com/fulci/zombie_eye1.jpg

Also the shark vs zombie underwater which was in a commercial not too long ago.

oh the horror
04-01-2011, 04:46 PM
I know! The chick in the beginning.. that they just invite into the car. You could tell that bi*** was bad news! I would of driven off as fast as possible! Did it have that Stephen King feel in your opinion? We seem to have similar taste in movies. If you see any others on Netflix bump this thread. Have you seen Invasion of body snatchers or mad max? I just saved those.

The chick may have been bad news, but she was hot in that movie, so I can see how someone wouldnt want to say "no" to that.

To be honest, im kind of surprised that its a King production...it doesnt have that feel at ALL to me.

Maybe im just used to his 90s shit like Pet Cemetary, the Langoliers, and Creepshow. Things that he was involved with, but the direction on the films had a cheesy feel to them. And while Dead End was cheese as well, it was pretty damn good too....not saying the others werent good, but it didnt feel the same. I dont know...

And I saw the Invasion of the Body Snatchers on there, but havent watched it yet. Mad Max...I watched that 100 years ago...I need to rewatch, because I hardly remember it. :oldlol:

I recently watched Jim Hensen's the Dark Crystal. Awesome.

Suspiria is actually part of a trilogy, and I use the word trilogy loosely. It's not really a trilogy like say...Back to the Future, more like the Man With No Name, where the same theme or symbolism is used. It goes Suspira, Inferno and then Mother of Tears

Start off with that to finish off the trilogy if you'd like.

So none of the films have really anything to do with each other?

Also the shark vs zombie underwater which was in a commercial not too long ago.

Right, because a zombie, battling a shark is awesome. It teeters on being "epic"

oh the horror
04-01-2011, 04:55 PM
I just watched the trailers for Inferno, and Mother of Tears...

Inferno looks awesome. Cheesy 70s horror!

Mother of Tears looks......kind of awful. :lol

LJJ
04-01-2011, 05:02 PM

Don't even get me started. The Supiria soundtrack was done by an act called Goblin, and they have made a shit ton of awesome soundtracks for Italian movies.

Lebowsky
04-01-2011, 05:57 PM
akira ripoff

You're so ****ing stupid. "Do androids dream of electric sheep?", the novel Blade Runner is based on, is from 1968, and the movie is from 1982. The manga Akira started in 1982 and ended in 1990, and the anime is from 1988 I think. I'm well aware of your verbal diarrhea, but please stop talking out of your ass, especially if you're going to say retarded shit like this. Blade runner doesn't have anything to do with Akira.

jamal99
11-15-2012, 11:32 PM
I just watched it for the first time and damn, left quite an impression. I wasn't really impressed until the end, then it got me. If there is a feeling like this after I watch a movie, I know it was great...
And I don't even like film noir and dystopian setting.

gigantes
11-16-2012, 01:41 AM
i didn't read all of page two's replies, but didn't see anyone point out HOW AWESOME RUTGER HAUER WAS IN THIS MOVIE!

http://news.cnet.com/i/bto/20091109/rutger2_610x302.jpg

also of interest was that the GF from wall street who was also the mermaid in splash! played one of the replicants in a pretty interesting role. not sure if anybody here remembers that stuff, but whatever. also, the novella that the movie was based on has some very interesting themes and sideplots that we don't see in the movie:

- most animals are extinct or have had their numbers heavily reduced, so owning an animal and caring for it in public is like driving a porsche these days. the pressure is so great that if you can't afford a real animal, you buy a synthetic animal and pretend to care for it just like the real thing.

- when you wake up in the morning you walk over to a mood-modifying machine and dial in the mood that you want for the day. it doesn't fully satisfy, though, which is why rick deckard's wife tends to dial in moods of depression and anger.

- the concept of church and god has been replaced by an electronic empathy box that you grab the handles of and share a group experience of a christ-like figure walking up an endless hill being pelted by small rocks.

Loneshot
11-16-2012, 02:01 AM
Gonna have to check it out. Its the one with Roddy Pipper right?

Dragonyeuw
11-16-2012, 09:58 AM
Gonna have to check it out. Its the one with Roddy Pipper right?

Harrison Ford. You're thinking of 'They Live'

Bucket_Nakedz
11-16-2012, 10:47 AM
Harrison Ford. You're thinking of 'They Live'
my god, dat booty! who dat?

i saw the movie a couple years back. i couldn't believe it was made in the early 80's, then again, i couldn't believe alien was made in the late 70's. the main chick was hot too. dem thick eye brows mmm...

that has to be one of the greatest atmosphere in cinema history. literally ahead of its time.

pauk
11-16-2012, 11:04 AM
Anybody who has not seen this movie needs to get his movie card revoked!

KevinNYC
11-16-2012, 03:53 PM
:roll: :lol

BladeRunner came out first, but not by 15 years.

niko
11-16-2012, 04:21 PM
:roll: :lol

BladeRunner came out first, but not by 15 years.
BladeRunner predates the movie by a few years, but the manga came out slightly before. Too short of a time to have influenced it at all.

gigantes
02-27-2015, 04:40 AM
holy fluff... looks like there's going to be a sequel (https://www.yahoo.com/movies/harrison-ford-to-return-in-blade-runner-sequel-112188607392.html).

[quote]Ford recently said the script was the