PDA

View Full Version : Why are some NBA players so skinny?

knickballer
04-02-2011, 07:00 PM
I understand they need to be athletic and all but some of these guys are twigs.. I can't stand the players who are 6'10 and weigh around 210 pounds, really? These guys are professional players and I find it amazing that they don't try to gain some muscle.. You would think all the years on Varsity, College and now pros they would atleast try a bit. Having strength improves post play, driving to the rim, drawing contact, it makes you a much better player.

Austin Daye 6'11, 200 pounds.. That's awful, theres kids in High School more muscular than him despite having much less resources. It's no wonder the kid is playing SG at times. With that height he could be playing PF/C but he's 200 pounds..

Colby Brian
04-02-2011, 07:10 PM
lol i can say is kevin durant, ****in twig, hey kevin ****in eat and workout damn it!

hey its ok if an 18 year old is skinny cause their still a kid, once there like 20 they shouldnt be anymore, like when kobe came from hs at 17 he was skinny then like 2-3 years later he got big

Knicksfever2010
04-02-2011, 07:17 PM
I understand they need to be athletic and all but some of these guys are twigs.. I can't stand the players who are 6'10 and weigh around 210 pounds, really? These guys are professional players and I find it amazing that they don't try to gain some muscle.. You would think all the years on Varsity, College and now pros they would atleast try a bit. Having strength improves post play, driving to the rim, drawing contact, it makes you a much better player.

Austin Daye 6'11, 200 pounds.. That's awful, theres kids in High School more muscular than him despite having much less resources. It's no wonder the kid is playing SG at times. With that height he could be playing PF/C but he's 200 pounds..

good metabolism

mrpuente
04-02-2011, 07:24 PM
have you played basketball before? its an incredible cardio workout. Constant cardio = hard to keep/build muscle.

TaLvsCuaL
04-02-2011, 07:26 PM
Tayshaun Prince is as thin as Austin Daye and has an amazing ironman streak, over 400 Consecutive. Each person is different, and sometimes get muscle is to lose agility / speed / power / jump and many more things.

Colby Brian
04-02-2011, 07:27 PM
have you played basketball before? its an incredible cardio workout. Constant cardio = hard to keep/build muscle.

it will be easier to get muscle with cardio, look at nfl players thats intense cardio for their workouts and games, cardio will burn all the fat so when they workout they will just be pure muscle basically

smurfslut
Because being heavier makes you more injury prone, especially in the knees.

Colby Brian
Tayshaun Prince is as thin as Austin Daye and has an amazing ironman streak, over 400 Consecutive. Each person is different, and sometimes get muscle is to lose agility / speed / power / jump and many more things.

or its probally just their genetic build maybe

LA_Showtime
04-02-2011, 07:28 PM

:oldlol: This is blatantly false.

KevinNYC
04-02-2011, 07:32 PM

It's called ectomorphism. People have different body types. Ever notice how some NBA guys are fat even though they do more exercise than 98% of the population?

LA_Showtime
04-02-2011, 07:36 PM
It's called ectomorphism. People have different body types. Ever notice how some NBA guys are fat even though they do more exercise than 98% of the population?

Uh, they're fat because they eat like shit and most likely party after games and drink 2x their body weight. Any person who blames their weight (or more specifically their body fat levels) on genes is a douche.

Colby Brian
04-02-2011, 07:41 PM

zach randolph :roll:

no pun intended
04-02-2011, 07:46 PM
Manute Bol

7'7"

200 lbs.

Rest In Peace.

/end thread

cbombdotcom
04-02-2011, 07:53 PM

This. Everybody has different body types and shapes. There's a guy who hoops here at my college and he is mad pudgy. Dude does work though. Lifts, works out, doesn't eat too much junk and his conditioning is at a normal level. Just by looking at him though, you'd think one good jog would have him winded.

Go Getter
04-02-2011, 08:05 PM
Because being heavier makes you more injury prone, especially in the knees.
Truth here.

get these NETS
04-02-2011, 08:12 PM

ecto endo meso

glad to see some people on ish were paying attention during health/gym/science/biology/ class

=====================
no disrespect, but what's the average age on this site?

KDthunderup
04-02-2011, 08:12 PM
You would only be able to put on the weight in lean muscle mass since the players do so much cardio, it would make it terribly hard to put on size, since muscle takes constant training and dieting to achieve. I don't think the player would do too much weight training in the on season so they don't get muscle fatigue.

Bandito
04-02-2011, 08:15 PM
it will be easier to get muscle with cardio, look at nfl players thats intense cardio for their workouts and games, cardio will burn all the fat so when they workout they will just be pure muscle basically
You have never done exercise before have ya? All those people that looks strong don't do cardio workout at all.

Colby Brian
04-02-2011, 08:49 PM
You have never done exercise before have ya? All those people that looks strong don't do cardio workout at all.

r u retarted, look at running backs, buff as hell, they do cardio

if u workout hard you will get big brah, just some poeple will get bigger than others depending on how they workout, eat, genes

Colby Brian
04-02-2011, 08:52 PM
You would only be able to put on the weight in lean muscle mass since the players do so much cardio, it would make it terribly hard to put on size, since muscle takes constant training and dieting to achieve. I don't think the player would do too much weight training in the on season so they don't get muscle fatigue.

brah your boy KD needs to get in the weight room
but i get what you mean, in an nba season your constantly playing bball and doing cardio, but im pretty sure atleast once a week the trainers make em do weight training

KevinNYC
04-02-2011, 09:48 PM
Any person who blames their weight (or more specifically their body fat levels) on genes is a douche.

They are either douches or people who actually know what the fck they are talking about (http://www.springerlink.com/content/nq274521q17r6354/abstract/). Like the scientists (http://www.ajcn.org/content/87/2/398.full) who have studied this subject (http://www.endocrinetoday.com/view.aspx?rid=26960).

Is there some sort of condition on Inside Hoops where people want to show their ignorance, but even beyond that, be arrogant about their ignorance?

FindingTim
04-02-2011, 10:00 PM
KnickBaller- are you overweight by any chance?

LA_Showtime
04-03-2011, 12:22 AM
They are either douches or people who actually know what the fck they are talking about (http://www.springerlink.com/content/nq274521q17r6354/abstract/). Like the scientists (http://www.ajcn.org/content/87/2/398.full) who have studied this subject (http://www.endocrinetoday.com/view.aspx?rid=26960).

Is there some sort of condition on Inside Hoops where people want to show their ignorance, but even beyond that, be arrogant about their ignorance?

Uh, no, you don't know shit. Some people are predisposed to be overweight, but that doesn't mean they should just give up and eat like shit. There are ways to combat one's genes.

ballerz
04-03-2011, 12:25 AM
brah your boy KD needs to get in the weight room
but i get what you mean, in an nba season your constantly playing bball and doing cardio, but im pretty sure atleast once a week the trainers make em do weight training
doing weights once a week aint going to do shit

brantonli
04-03-2011, 12:50 AM
Uh, no, you don't know shit. Some people are predisposed to be overweight, but that doesn't mean they should just give up and eat like shit. There are ways to combat one's genes.

You do know that your post implied that you thought body fat levels have nothing to do with genes? Maybe you didn't intend it, but it certainly came off that way.

BoxOutBOXOUT
04-03-2011, 12:58 AM
OP's ideal player:

http://foodcourtlunch.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/miller.jpg

LastChanceToWin
04-03-2011, 12:58 AM
Body types and genetics influence your appeareance, but that doesn't mean you can't change. A good diet, whether it's built to gain or lose weight, can go a long way.

Jordan23GOAT
04-03-2011, 01:07 AM
Because, it's not about how much you weigh. It's about your skills. I'm a freshman in high school, and I am nearly 6 feet tall but I weigh around...95-98 pounds. I average around 17 5 and 5. Scottie is a perfect example of a tall but skinny guy who is still strong somehow. It's about the effort that you put in. Just my opinion though.

jstern
04-03-2011, 01:13 AM
As a thin guy, I normally gain weight when I play basketball. Not much fat to lose, but plenty of muscles getting worked out. Legs, shoulder, back, usually, usually gain like 4 pounds.

DGARAS
04-03-2011, 01:14 AM
the most important part of gaining/losing weight is the diet. if you can control your calories you basically control your gains/losses.

the people saying it's impossible to gain muscle are retarded.

all it takes is enough protein, eating 4-6 times a day, and eating enough calories to maintain or gain weight. easy.

KDthunderup
04-03-2011, 01:25 AM
Because, it's not about how much you weigh. It's about your skills. I'm a freshman in high school, and I am nearly 6 feet tall but I weigh around...95-98 pounds. I average around 17 5 and 5. Scottie is a perfect example of a tall but skinny guy who is still strong somehow. It's about the effort that you put in. Just my opinion though.My jaw dropped:eek:

PP34Deuce
04-03-2011, 01:30 AM
I truely believe in genes....

Remember Johnathan Bender????Dude was about the size of Durant with freakish athletic ability and just could not stay healthy, while Durant has been pretty solid health wise so far.

Some of the freak muscle bound guys liek Corey Maggette, Joey Graham have been some of the most injury prone guys over Paul Pierce,Carmelo Anthony,etc.

Off topic,but I was at a NBA after party in Toronto back in 2007, and Joey Graham looks like an NFL 4-3 Defensive End. Im 6'6 and dude was taller than me with the like veins and a big ass chest with several chains smoking blunts half the nite lol.

talkingconch
04-03-2011, 02:46 AM
Yeah could be the metabolism

gilalizard
04-03-2011, 03:07 AM
The few that aren't on HGH are who you probably think are "skinny". That is, naturally athletic.

Lebron23
04-03-2011, 03:07 AM
Daye and Durant are going to gain some weight as they become older. Just look at Kevin Garnett. He went from 218 lbs to 253 lbs.

BMore
04-03-2011, 03:09 AM
Because, it's not about how much you weigh. It's about your skills. I'm a freshman in high school, and I am nearly 6 feet tall but I weigh around...95-98 pounds. I average around 17 5 and 5. Scottie is a perfect example of a tall but skinny guy who is still strong somehow. It's about the effort that you put in. Just my opinion though.

:eek: That's not healthy my man... I was 6'4 165 my senior year of high school, and I thought I was skinny. Now up to 200 in college now with muscle and a little fat but my explosion is leaps and bounds better than before. My shot is better too despite the added muscle in my upper body. It will not mess with your shot. You need to hit the weight room, and eat right if you are serious about playing high level basketball. You would get abused in the post even at the varsity level. If you want to play in college you're gonna have to put on some MAJOR weight. No hate, just trying to help you out man.

Rolando
04-03-2011, 03:20 AM
Cardio is the enemy of building muscle. Go to any bodybuilding website and look into it. If you are serious about bulking up, you should not do more than 40 minutes of cardio per day.

Best way to get the conditioning needed and still build bulk is by doing intervals or sprints.

For basketball players, muscle is built in the off season.

gilalizard
04-03-2011, 03:27 AM
Cardio is the enemy of building muscle. Go to any bodybuilding website and look into it. If you are serious about bulking up, you should not do more than 40 minutes of cardio per day.

Best way to get the conditioning needed and still build bulk is by doing intervals or sprints.

For basketball players, muscle is built in the off season.

Exactly. You don't want to do tons of cardio if you're looking to build huge bulk. You're working against yourself then. Also, big muscle bulk generally gasses you when you try to sustain any type of cardio activity.

This is the general rule for us normal humans though. If you're an athletic freak in your prime, or are juiced like many current pro athletes, you can get away with a lot.

KevinNYC
04-03-2011, 03:45 AM

Like you could tell your body to be taller or less bald?

There are definitely environmental factors to obesity, but the science is pretty conclusive that genetics are large factor. The hypothesis is that some people could eat two slices of pizza and think I'm too full to eat another bite and for obese people this message from their brain comes waaaaay later. That is, their body is still telling them they are hungry.

Gabuyaux
04-03-2011, 05:16 AM
I'm a freshman in high school, and I am nearly 6 feet tall but I weigh around...95-98 pounds.
What!? I'm 19, 5'4", and I weigh 105-110lbs. I am a short and skinny guy. Man, 5 years ago when I was a freshman in high school, I was shorter than 5'2" and weighed less than 95lbs. I was a tiny guy. You have almost a foot on me and weigh nearly the same as I did back then.

whoartthou
04-03-2011, 05:18 AM
Uh, they're fat because they eat like shit and most likely party after games and drink 2x their body weight. Any person who blames their weight (or more specifically their body fat levels) on genes is a douche.

you are a fking moron. Good to know

knickballer
04-03-2011, 09:37 AM
OP's ideal player:

http://foodcourtlunch.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/miller.jpg

Your a ****tard. I don't like Obese players you idiot. I'm just mentioning that some players need to muscle up and stop being twigs.

I think it's quite obvious that half of you idiots never lifted weights in your life. Yes basketball players do alot of cardio but so do any other athlete and it's beneficial as the player will gain lean muscle. A player like Austin Daye who weighs 200 pounds despite being near 7 feet tall is embarrassing.. If he were to gain lets say 25-30 pounds(mostly muscle) he'll be a much better player. He wouldn't have to play SG since he wouldn't get bullied near the post as much and he can play different positions SF/PF. Not to mention it will help his post game, defense, driving, drawing contact, etc. Look at a player like Lebron his offensive game is deadly since he's able to drive at the rim constantly. This is why Austin Daye is going to be a crap player, because he's a 7 foot 200 pound SG..

knickballer
04-03-2011, 09:39 AM
you are a fking moron. Good to know

He's right.. Players like Eddy Curry, Marcus Williams(former Uconn PG), etc aren't fat cause they have ectorphism or w/e its called but they simply don't take care of their bodies right.

LJJ
04-03-2011, 09:40 AM

First of all NFL players don't do a lot of cardio during games at all.

Second, it's easier for NFL players to work on their physique because it's pretty much all they have to do. It's not a largely skill based sport like basketball.

Eat Like A Bosh
04-03-2011, 09:47 AM
Corey Brewer, 6'9" 188 lbs.

Dasher
04-03-2011, 09:47 AM

Second, it's easier for NFL players to work on their physique because it's pretty much all they have to do. It's not a largely skill based sport like basketball.
Football is a sport that almost entirely technique based.

TrueRob
04-03-2011, 10:07 AM
Small bones usually = skinny. I have small bones, my wrists are tiny. My body type is probably most similar to Kevin Durant or Tayshaun Prince, but I'm only 6'1. I've always had a b!tch of a time adding muscle.

Jordan23GOAT
04-03-2011, 11:53 AM
:eek: That's not healthy my man... I was 6'4 165 my senior year of high school, and I thought I was skinny. Now up to 200 in college now with muscle and a little fat but my explosion is leaps and bounds better than before. My shot is better too despite the added muscle in my upper body. It will not mess with your shot. You need to hit the weight room, and eat right if you are serious about playing high level basketball. You would get abused in the post even at the varsity level. If you want to play in college you're gonna have to put on some MAJOR weight. No hate, just trying to help you out man.
I'm working on it, don't worry, going on different diets. It's genetics. My dad was 6 foot 3 and 130 pounds his senior year. I'm definitely trying to gain some more weight.

mattevans11
04-03-2011, 01:19 PM

you really think nfl is more cardio than basketball...... you have to be kidding right......

football players spend more than half the game on the bench, and is more of a bursting type of workout......

LA_Showtime
04-03-2011, 01:36 PM
Like you could tell your body to be taller or less bald?

There are definitely environmental factors to obesity, but the science is pretty conclusive that genetics are large factor. The hypothesis is that some people could eat two slices of pizza and think I'm too full to eat another bite and for obese people this message from their brain comes waaaaay later. That is, their body is still telling them they are hungry.

No, obviously you can't control how tall you are or if you have hair.

What I'm saying is that while some people may be predisposed to be heavier than other people, that doesn't mean they should resign themselves to being overweight and can do plenty of things to combat it.

Some of you people sound like the tools at my gym. All they do is ***** and moan that their genes won't allow them to lose any weight when the only reason they don't is because they hit McDonald's after running 3 miles.

Grim
04-03-2011, 02:00 PM
As for LeBron?

Grim
04-03-2011, 02:02 PM

This is correct. I play D-1 football and we lift a ton of weight. We do cardio too, but it's all about that strength and fundamentals.

During games, we don't "play" as much so it isn't that much of a workout tbh.

christian1923
04-03-2011, 02:03 PM
Young guys dont lift cuz they dont wanna mess up the touch on there shot

PistonsFan#21
04-03-2011, 02:14 PM
As for LeBron?

Lebron is considered a genetic freak and many analysts consider him as the bes athlete in the NBA. You can't use him as an example to represent the rest of the league.

kkling
04-03-2011, 02:23 PM
People have different body types, it's strange shit.

Comments such as "eat more", or "eat less", etc. just ignorance.

get these NETS
04-03-2011, 02:56 PM
I'm working on it, don't worry, going on different diets. It's genetics. My dad was 6 foot 3 and 130 pounds his senior year. I'm definitely trying to gain some more weight.

at your age, I'd suggest you lay off the weights

what you really want to do is to become a lot stronger

for that, I'd suggest that you read some books and design an exercise regimen using bodyweight exercises/ calisthenics. full body.....upper and legs

pound for pound, some of the strongest athletes in the world are male gymnasts(and MMA fighters incorporate a lot of bodyweight training rather than lifting weights)

I think you'd build a lot of FUNCTIONAL strength and add size as your body matures and grows.

less strain on your bones and joints too
---------------------------

Gary Payton was one of the best all around point guards of the modern era and he played at 6 foot 4 and 180 pounds.

Nobody pushed him around and he was rarely injured.

BMore
04-03-2011, 03:19 PM
at your age, I'd suggest you lay off the weights

what you really want to do is to become a lot stronger

for that, I'd suggest that you read some books and design an exercise regimen using bodyweight exercises/ calisthenics. full body.....upper and legs

pound for pound, some of the strongest athletes in the world are male gymnasts(and MMA fighters incorporate a lot of bodyweight training rather than lifting weights)

I think you'd build a lot of FUNCTIONAL strength and add size as your body matures and grows.

less strain on your bones and joints too
---------------------------

Gary Payton was one of the best all around point guards of the modern era and he played at 6 foot 4 and 180 pounds.

Nobody pushed him around and he was rarely injured.

Good post, and I completely agree with what you said. Wait like 2 years until you hit the weight room. But you need to eat more right now. 95-98 pounds is not healthy at all. You should be growing a little more too if your dad is 6'3. The pounds will come with the inches you will probably see in the coming years. Just start eating a well-balanced diet now, and you will be ahead of most of your competition. That's something I wish I would have done when I was your age.