PDA

View Full Version : Why The Hell Isn't Nick Galis In The Basketball Hall of Fame?

Euroleague
04-08-2011, 04:45 PM
Now that both Drazen Petrovic and Arvydas Sabonis have been elected to the Basketball Hall of Fame the obvious question has to be why the hell isn't Nikos Galis in also?

He was the basic equivalent of what Michael Jordan was in US basketball in the 1990s to European basketball in the 1980s. What Jordan did for the sport in the US in the '90s, Galis did the same in Europe in the '80s.

Because of Galis millions of young kids took up the sport of basketball in Europe and he is mainly responsible for basketball's popularity today in Europe outside of the countries where it was already long developed (like for example Lithuania and the old Yugoslav countries)..........

This guy is the best career scorer by average of the FIBA EuroBasket, the FIBA World Championship, the Greek League, and the Euroleague and he isn't in the Basketball Hall of Fame?

This is the guy that beat both Yugoslavia (Drazen Petrovic, Toni Kukoc, Vlade Divac, Dino Radja) and the Soviet Union (Sarunas Marciulionis, Arvydas Sabonis) during the late 1980s, practically by himself at the European Championship. He beat the Soviet Union not once, but twice actually. The same Soviet team that beat the USA at the 1988 Olympics, got beat not just once by Galis, but twice.

It is crazy that Galis is not yet in the Basketball Hall of Fame, especially when you consider that BOTH Drazen Petrovic and Arvydas Sabonis are on the record as saying that Galis was better than they were.

I can't believe Galis has not made the Basketball Hall of Fame yet.

Chapallaz
04-08-2011, 04:51 PM
Did he plaY in the nba?

Droid101
04-08-2011, 04:57 PM
It is crazy that Galis is not yet in the Basketball Hall of Fame, especially when you consider that BOTH Drazen Petrovic and Arvydas Sabonis are on the record as saying that Galis was better than they were.
They're just being nice.

Grinder
04-08-2011, 04:59 PM
Another American that dominated in Europe.

Euroleague
04-08-2011, 05:07 PM
They're just being nice.

Every single European basketball expert says Galis is the best European player that ever lived.

Euroleague
04-08-2011, 05:09 PM

:lol :roll:

You troll.

The ONLY American that dominated in Europe. Just ONE, Galis. The ONLY ONE.

In basketball history, only ONE American ever dominated in Europe and that was Galis. Get your facts right troll.

Dwade305
04-08-2011, 05:11 PM
This

Euroleague
04-08-2011, 05:12 PM
Did he plaY in the nba?

According to the Basketball Hall of Fame, playing in the NBA is not a requirement to be inducted. In fact, it is not an "NBA Hall of Fame", but a Basketball Hall of Fame. It is for the entire world of basketball, not just NBA basketball.

Since Galis is one of the all-time greatest contributors to the sport of basketball in world history, it is very bizarre that he has not been inducted yet.

NoName22
:lol :roll:

You troll.

The ONLY American that dominated in Europe. Just ONE, Galis. The ONLY ONE.

In basketball history, only ONE American ever dominated in Europe and that was Galis. Get your facts right troll.

Marcus Brown : player who scored the most points in the EL.
Alphonso Ford : player with the best scoring average in EL's history.

Euroleague
This

He is the ONLY American than "dominated in Europe". Get your facts right otherwise you are just trolling.

elementally morale
04-08-2011, 05:14 PM
I remember Gallis pretty well. He was good, but he was more selfish with the ball than Kobe, Jordan and Petrovic combined.

Nikos Gallis was never better than Drazen Petrovic or Arvydas Sabonis, though. He scored more, on a lot more attempts.

Euroleague
Marcus Brown : player who scored the most points in the EL.
Alphonso Ford : player with the best scoring average in EL's history.

Neither of them ever dominated a damn thing in Europe. You are reaching epic troll status now.

Besides they are career Euroleague scoring leaders of the DECADE not all time genius.

Galis is the ALL TIME leader in both categories.

That was a really weak troll attempt.

Euroleague
I remember Gallis pretty well. He was good, but he was more selfish with the ball than Kobe, Jordan and Petrovic combined.

Nikos Gallis was never better than Drazen Petrovic or Arvydas Sabonis, though. He scored more, on a lot more attempts.

Galis shot something like 65% from the field for his career. Again, get your facts right.

He was better than Petrovic and Sabonis when he was beating them in FIBA competitions. Beating the Soviet team that Team USA couldn't even beat, not once, but twice.

NoName22
04-08-2011, 05:15 PM
Neither of them ever dominated a damn thing in Europe. You are reaching epic troll status now.

Besides they are career Euroleague scoring leaders of the DECADE not all time genius.

Galis is the ALL TIME leader in both categories.

You mad b ?

Euroleague
04-08-2011, 05:19 PM
You mad b ?

When you make incredibly outlandish and ridiculously absurd statements like Ford and Brown "dominated Europe" then yes.

Peja and Hedo also "dominated" the NBA. Just as equally as ridiculous a statement as what you claimed.

NoName22
04-08-2011, 05:22 PM
When you make incredibly outlandish and ridiculously absurd statements like Ford and Brown "dominated Europe" then yes.

Peja and Hedo also "dominated" the NBA. Just as equally as ridiculous a statement as what you claimed.

Hedo was never an all star & the only claim Peja had to being at the top was in 04.

We're talking about the best scorers in the EL in the last decade. Throw in Anthony Parker who dominated the league also.

Dwade305
04-08-2011, 05:23 PM
Hedo was never an all star & the only claim Peja had to being at the top was in 04.

We're talking about the best scorers in the EL in the last decade. Throw in Anthony Parker who dominated the league also.
This thang right here

elementally morale
04-08-2011, 05:25 PM
Galis shot something like 65% from the field for his career. Again, get your facts right.

He was better than Petrovic and Sabonis when he was beating them in FIBA competitions. Beating the Soviet team that Team USA couldn't even beat, not once, but twice.

Sabonis didn't play in that game at the European Championships. I remember that game, Sabonis was injured. It was in 1987.
The team that beat USA in 1988 did have Sabonis on it.
Difference.

BTW, why are you so rude, mate? I'm coming here to have a good time. What about you?

Droid101
04-08-2011, 05:26 PM
BTW, why are you so rude, mate? I'm coming here to have a good time. What about you?
He's racist against Americans and assumes if you post here, you're American.

LBJFTW
04-08-2011, 05:28 PM
It was said that Nick The Greek was the equivalent of the Greek God Zeus himself.

The man was mythological on the court:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLc_A7b5dGY

Euroleague
04-08-2011, 05:32 PM

You are trolling to a huge level. Ford and Brown never in their lives dominated anything in European basketball. You are not talking in reality, just another fantasy land of NBA only fan myths.

No way in hell could you say they dominated in Europe.

Parker? Parker didn't "dominate" shit in Euroleague. You are clearly trolling. Welcome to ignore.

Euroleague
04-08-2011, 05:33 PM
This thang right here

Welcome to ignore racist.

NoName22
04-08-2011, 05:34 PM
You are trolling to a huge level. Ford and Brown never in their lives dominated anything in European basketball. You are not talking in reality, just another fantasy land of NBA only fan myths.

No way in hell could you say they dominated in Europe.

Parker? Parker didn't "dominate" shit in Euroleague. You are clearly trolling. Welcome to ignore.

Lol, like I care if you ignore me or if Americans dominated that weak ass league.

Euroleague
04-08-2011, 05:34 PM
Sabonis didn't play in that game at the European Championships. I remember that game, Sabonis was injured. It was in 1987.
The team that beat USA in 1988 did have Sabonis on it.
Difference.

Quit trolling a-hole

Galis (Greece) 45 points and the win

Sabonis (USSR) 19 points and the loss

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94X7oyzlfeY

Euroleague
04-08-2011, 05:36 PM
Lol, like I care if you ignore me or if Americans dominated that weak ass league.

Your basketball knowledge is incredibly pathetic.

Euroleague
He's racist against Americans and assumes if you post here, you're American.

You are a liar and now you are trolling this thread too.

NoName22

Didn't you put me on ignore ?

Lol @ NBA rejects & second tier Americans dominating in Europe.

elementally morale
04-08-2011, 05:37 PM
Quit trolling a-hole
Galis (Greece) 45 points and the win
Sabonis (USSR) 19 points and the loss
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94X7oyzlfeY

This game is from 1989, Zagreb. I was talking of the 1987 Euro Finals, as can be seen in my previous post.

LBJFTW
04-08-2011, 05:37 PM
I'm just thankful that I got to watch Galis and Jordan in their prime. The greatest 2 players to ever lace them up.
Watch @ 3:40

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpLX6NVgPNg&feature=related

elementally morale
04-08-2011, 05:43 PM
This is the 1989 European Championship Finals. Gallis vs. Petrovic
You can all decide for yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L41vFYDdQdw&feature=related

Euroleague
04-08-2011, 05:44 PM
Didn't you put me on ignore ?

Lol @ NBA rejects & second tier Americans dominating in Europe.

Only one American in history dominated in Europe dumb ass.

Euroleague
04-08-2011, 05:44 PM
This game is from 1989, Zagreb. I was talking of the 1987 Euro Finals, as can be seen in my previous post.

The 1989 Soviet team was the same team that beat Team USA in the 1988 Olympics. Galis beat the Soviet Union in both 1987 and 1989.

I even showed the youtube clip to prove it. He outscored Sabonis in the game as well, by 45-19.

So yes, you are trolling to try to make it sound like Galis didn't beat the same Soviet team that beat Team USA. Trying a pathetic attempt to manipulate and twist the truth so the American NBA only fans will believe it (since their collective basketball knowledge is pathetic).

Javat_90
04-08-2011, 05:46 PM
Did he plaY in the nba?

Oh boy, this post is gonna make OP mad.

elementally morale
04-08-2011, 05:49 PM
So yes, you are trolling.

I think you have some mental disorder, so I'm leaving now. It is one thing to be dumb, but at the same time you are not entertaining. Bad combination. ByeZ.

Javat_90
04-08-2011, 05:52 PM
Pure Lakas_Fan_Yo in action:

You troll.Get your facts right troll.

He is the ONLY American than "dominated in Europe". Get your facts right otherwise you are just trolling.

Welcome to ignore racist.

Quit trolling a-hole

You are a liar and now you are trolling this thread too.

Mental illness at its finest.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Euroleague
04-09-2011, 10:36 PM
Here is what an NBA scout said about Nikos Galis:

http://www.eurojohnbball.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=367:naismith-hall-of-fame-again-forgets-nick-galis

"I have gone to NBA games and have talked to people who have played against Galis, and a former NBA GM described him as amazing to me."

Bandito
04-09-2011, 10:48 PM
Gallis was just crappy when compared to players of his time, that is why be never could join the league.

Euroleague
04-09-2011, 10:56 PM
Gallis was just crappy when compared to players of his time, that is why be never could join the league.

Yeah that's why he was considered better than every European in the NBA of that time by EVERY single European basketball historian.

And news flash idiot you could not play in NBA and FIBA back then there was no agreement. It was not allowed. So STFU.

Oh, and Bob McAdoo (NBA MVP) who played with the Celtics and Lakers said that Galis was better than Bird and Magic.

And Michael Jordan said Galis was pretty good after Galis scored 50 against him.

PHILA
04-09-2011, 11:35 PM
Gallis was just crappy when compared to players of his time, that is why be never could join the league.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikos_Galis

Finishing his collegiate career in 1979, Galis signed with agent Bill Manon, who also managed Diana Ross. Manon did not have Galis work out with any NBA team.[9] Galis was eventually selected by the Boston Celtics in the 4th round of the 1979 NBA Draft, 68th overall.

Due to a severe injury that he suffered during the Celtics pre-season training camp, the franchise was no longer interested in offering him a contract because Gerald Henderson had taken his place and his injury would keep him out for the foreseeable future. It was then that Galis decided to pursue a professional career in Greece's A1 League. Galis would later be offered NBA contracts by the Celtics and the New Jersey Nets while he was playing in Greece, but he turned the offers down because at the time FIBA did not have professional status, something it did not gain until the year 1989, and therefore Galis would not have been allowed to play for the Greek national team if he was an NBA player. Since playing for Greece's national team meant so much to Galis, he stayed in Greece. Celtics legend Red Auerbach (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Auerbach) later said that the single biggest mistake he ever made in his career was not keeping Galis.

Euroleague
04-09-2011, 11:43 PM
I'm just thankful that I got to watch Galis and Jordan in their prime. The greatest 2 players to ever lace them up.
Watch @ 3:40

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpLX6NVgPNg&feature=related

Agreed. Galis and Jordan are the two best players I have ever seen.

Chapallaz
04-10-2011, 01:40 AM
According to the Basketball Hall of Fame, playing in the NBA is not a requirement to be inducted. In fact, it is not an "NBA Hall of Fame", but a Basketball Hall of Fame. It is for the entire world of basketball, not just NBA basketball.

Since Galis is one of the all-time greatest contributors to the sport of basketball in world history, it is very bizarre that he has not been inducted yet.
If he didnt play in the nba why are you posting this here? It has nothing to do with the nba, move this to the Euro boards.

LilBTheBasedGod
04-10-2011, 01:44 AM

Didn't Dominique Wilkins win a Euroleague tournament MVP or something?

Chapallaz
04-10-2011, 01:45 AM
I can name 12 guys who dominated Europe all in the same year. And each of them is American. 92.

LilBTheBasedGod
04-10-2011, 01:45 AM
Heres a better question: How come Benard King isn't in the phuckin' HOF yet? :mad:

bdreason
04-10-2011, 01:46 AM
Wrong forum.

Rekindled
04-10-2011, 01:48 AM
better question, how come chris mullin is in and reggie miller is rejected.

Lebron23
04-10-2011, 04:40 AM
Galis deserves to be inducted in the hall of fame. He's one of the best scorers in the Euroleague and FIBA Competitions.

Euroleague
04-10-2011, 04:56 AM
Nikos Galis scoring stats:

Greek League:

1979-80: 28.5
1980-81: 43.9
1981-82: 37.6
1982-83: 36.2
1983-84: 41.2
1984-85: 37.1
1985-86: 39.3
1986-87: 39.7
1987-88: 37.4
1988-89: 37.7
1989-90: 38.8
1990-91: 35.3
1991-92: 32.1
1992-93: 23.6
1993-94: 19.0
1994-95: 12.8

Greek League career: 33.5 points per game

Greek Cup career:

35.2 points per game

European cups career:

32.9 points per game

Euroleague career:

34.2 points per game

Greek National Team:

1983 FIBA EuroBasket: 33.0
1986 FIBA World Championship: 33.7
1987 FIBA EuroBasket: 37.0
1989 FIBA EuroBasket: 35.6
1991 FIBA EuroBasket: 32.4

Greek National Team career:

30.5 points per game

Nikos Galis is the all-time career leader in scoring average of the FIBA EuroBasket, the FIBA World Championship, the Euroleague (counting the FIBA years), the Greek League (counting before the separate divisions), the Greek Cup, and the Greek national team.

Career scoring average total in professional leagues, cups, and FIBA senior team competitions............

24,721 points in 753 games

32.8 points per game

over 16 years

Keep in mind that every single game was only 40 minutes long.

Javat_90
04-10-2011, 04:58 AM
But he didnt play in the NBA, so all that shit doesnt really count.
u just got trolled dawg

Euroleague
04-10-2011, 05:12 AM
But he didnt play in the NBA, so all that shit doesnt really count.

It's the basketball hall of fame, not the NBA hall of fame. So you have no point. All of that "shit" DOES count towards the BASKETBALL hall of fame. BASKETBALL hall of fame, not "NBA" hall of fame.

Batz
04-10-2011, 05:13 AM
It's the basketball hall of fame, not the NBA hall of fame. So you have no point. All of that "shit" DOES count towards the BASKETBALL hall of fame. BASKETBALL hall of fame, not "NBA" hall of fame.
u just got trolled dawg

Javat_90
04-10-2011, 05:40 AM
u just got trolled dawg
:oldlol: