PDA

View Full Version : Phil Jackson on Kobe Bryant

BEAST Griffin
04-11-2011, 01:59 PM

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
04-11-2011, 02:05 PM
In a lot of ways Kobe is STILL the exact same way. When Phil asks him to tone it down, he continues to shoot and shoot some more.

On the way to the court, I asked Kobe, still nursing a sore shoulder, if he was up to doing a little running. Sure, he responded, as soon as he finished his treatment. Almost an hour went by, and there was no Kobe sighting. Finally, with an ice pack on his shoulder, he took a seat on the sideline. It began to dawn on me that contrary to what he had told me, Kobe had no intention of running. After practice I followed Kobe to the training room, asking him why he lied to me. He was being sarcastic, he said. Wrong answer. I told him that he needed to treat me with respect, not sarcasm. I turned and walked away, heading to the coaches’ locker room. A minute later I heard him cursing in the training room in front of the players, though I couldn’t make out the exact words….Now I was the one who was angry.

Seriously, what a little punk.

Disaprine
04-11-2011, 02:06 PM
kobe is the reason why jesus died.

DuMa
04-11-2011, 02:10 PM
Can't wait for phil' s next book

hkfosho
04-11-2011, 02:10 PM
damn this is some serious shit right here.

This destroys all the arguments kobe homers had of him being as good as MJ. Kobe is being exposed as a little punk :lol

Rhyen
04-11-2011, 02:16 PM
Wasn't this book released in 2004 right after the loss to Detriot?

Should probably elaborate that this excerpt is dated and not referring to the current state of the Lakers and/or Kobe and Phil's relationship. Could cause some confusion, but if you're trying to troll.. by all means

DMAVS41
04-11-2011, 02:18 PM
It must have been really bad for Phil to write all this stuff down in a book. However, I think Phil would readily admit that Kobe was a victim of a lot of tough circumstances and that he may have misrepresented Kobe a bit in the book.

Having said that, is there anything more damaging to say about a person's character when you say that you weren't totally surprised that a person was being accused of rape?

Holy crap. I haven't read that book in a long time, but I never really thought about that line. Kobe's anger problems must have been even a lot worse than the book lets on for Phil to say that.

oh the horror
04-11-2011, 02:23 PM
Kobe is being exposed as a little punk :lol

Kobe has been the same person he is, and will be, his entire career.

That being said, this is older news, and I DO believe Kobe has improved his attitude a bit, but there are definately still flashes of him being his usual pain in the ass, selfish self out there of course.

Rysio
04-11-2011, 02:30 PM
date: 2004

http://i35.tinypic.com/*******.gif

Heat007
04-11-2011, 03:11 PM
Well Kobe is a total punk, and is an extremely overrated player. Shot jacking buffoon. He shouldn't be anywhere near the Top 15.. More like around somewhere in the mid to bottom of the Top 40 range alltime is where he truly belongs.

And it's a very good thing that such detailed videos like this are being created now at a much more frequent level lately exposing him

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCcPFX5g_HI

/thread

Hulk Hogan
04-11-2011, 03:13 PM
Well Kobe is a total punk, and is an extremely overrated player. Shot jacking buffoon. He shouldn't be anywhere near the Top 15.. More like around somewhere in the mid to bottom of the Top 40 range alltime is where he truly belongs.

And it's a very good thing that such detailed videos like this are being created now at a much more frequent level lately exposing him

/thread

Hey bruce blitz! You came back for more? I already owned you!:roll:

Heilige
04-11-2011, 03:14 PM
[QUOTE=BEAST Griffin]

ashbelly
04-11-2011, 03:16 PM
Does Phil really think this is one of the reasons Kobe/Shaq feuded with one another? over money?

it was about $$$$..

pegasus
04-11-2011, 03:17 PM

/thread

You, whatever your real account is, are so insecure and butthurt about Kobe's success throughout his career that it is hysterically funny anymore. He's got 5 rings, and is already a basketball legend. Just deal with it.

The Choken One
04-11-2011, 03:19 PM
Mentally...Kobe is a fhcking warrior.

lol @ Heat007...and I guess Wade is a better play than Kobe too right? lol.

Doranku
04-11-2011, 03:20 PM
:oldlol: Some of you guys are just pathetic. I mean really. This book was written seven years ago, why are you making threads on it now?

And yeah, I can't wait to see what Phil says in his next book! He's going to rip Kobe a new one for putting two (and counting) more rings on his hand! :roll:

AlphaWolf24
04-11-2011, 03:23 PM
“We were playing solid team ball, a rarity this season, although, as usual, Kobe seemed intent on taking over. “Get me the f***ing ball,” he said on his way to the bench, a demand Kobe had never verbalized. I smiled, didn’t say a word, and went to chart a play on the clipboard. I sometimes think Kobe is so addicted to being in control that he would rather shoot the ball when guarded, or even double-teamed, than dish it to an open teammate.

“They’re making you get in your attack mode,” I told him when he came off the floor during a timeout late in the game. “You’re going to have to pass the ball. They’re not calling the fouls for you.” He was in no mood to back down. “I’m going to f***ing crush them,” he said. “I just haven’t found my shooting yet.”

“Why don’t the two get along? I have my theories, one of which is that Shaquille is making the type of money, about $25 million a year, that Kobe will never earn due to the changes in the league’s collective bargaining agreement. No matter how many MVP trophies Kobe might collect in the decade ahead, there is nothing he can do about this discrepancy. In fact, the word I got was that Kobe was the only player in the entire league who voted against the agreement because of the cap it put on salaries.”

“This was another example of the basic difference between him and Kobe. Ask Shaq to do something and he’ll say: “No, I don’t want to do that.” But after a little pouting, he will do it. Ask Kobe, and he’ll say “okay,” and then he will do whatever he wants.”

“Kobe’s defense, to be accurate, has faltered in recent years, despite his presence on the league’s all-defensive team. The voters have been seduced by his remarkable athleticism and spectacular steals, but he hasn’t played sound, fundamental defense. Mesmerized by the ball, he’s gambled too frequently, putting us out of position, forcing rotations that leave a man wide open, and doesn’t keep his feet on the ground.”

“Earlier this week at El Segundo there was an incident at practice. On the way to the court, I asked Kobe, still nursing a sore shoulder, if he was up to doing a little running. Sure, he responded, as soon as he finished his treatment. Almost an hour went by, and there was no Kobe sighting. Finally, with an ice pack on his shoulder, he took a seat on the sideline. It began to dawn on me that contrary to what he had told me, Kobe had no intention of running. After practice I followed Kobe to the training room, asking him why he lied to me. He was being sarcastic, he said. Wrong answer. I told him that he needed to treat me with respect, not sarcasm. I turned and walked away, heading to the coaches’ locker room. A minute later I heard him cursing in the training room in front of the players, though I couldn’t make out the exact words….Now I was the one who was angry. I went upstairs to see Mitch in his office. Wasting no time, I went off on a tirade about the need to deal Kobe before the trading deadline in mid-February. “I won’t coach this team next year if he is still here,” I said emphatically. “He won’t listen to anyone. I’ve had it with this kid.” My monologue-Mitch barely said a word at first-reminded me of similar eruption in the middle of my first year when I presented what I thought was a very logical argument for trading Kobe at that time. “Everyone says what a mature person this kid is,” I said. “He’s not mature at all.” The deal I had in mind was Kobe to Phoenix for Jason Kidd and Shawn Marion.”

“Are you feeling like you’re going to come back next year?” Jeanie asked me. “Well, not if Kobe Bryant is on this team next year,” I told her. “He’s too complex a person. I don’t need this.”

http://www.bareknucks.com/bashing-kobe-excerpts-from-%E2%80%9Cthe-last-season-a-team-in-search-of-its-soul%E2%80%9D-by-phil-jackson

Phil does plain as day says Kobe is the best allaround player he's ever coached - "I think it's the best that I've ever seen a player of mine play with an overall court game. I'm asking him to do so much, and he's accomplishing it. I never asked Michael to be a playmaker.

Phil Then compares Kobe as the best player in the game just like MJ was during the 90's - " I never asked Michael to be a playmaker. That's the greatest player that I've ever had, that I could consider the greatest player in the game, and I never asked him to be a playmaker in those terms.

Then Phil explains exactly what Kobe was doing better then anyone he's ever coached - "I asked him to be playmaker when he was doubled or tripled. But Kobe has to set up the offense, to advance the ball, to read the defense, to make other players happy, and he's doing a great job of that."

NEXT...

Doranku
04-11-2011, 03:25 PM
Phil does plain as day says Kobe is the best allaround player he's ever coached - "I think it's the best that I've ever seen a player of mine play with an overall court game. I'm asking him to do so much, and he's accomplishing it. I never asked Michael to be a playmaker.

Phil Then compares Kobe as the best player in the game just like MJ was during the 90's - " I never asked Michael to be a playmaker. That's the greatest player that I've ever had, that I could consider the greatest player in the game, and I never asked him to be a playmaker in those terms.

Then Phil explains exactly what Kobe was doing better then anyone he's ever coached - "I asked him to be playmaker when he was doubled or tripled. But Kobe has to set up the offense, to advance the ball, to read the defense, to make other players happy, and he's doing a great job of that."

NEXT...

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Kobe = GOAT.

Stick to the VHS tapes, Jordan stans. :roll:

Mr Clutch Melo
04-11-2011, 03:26 PM
Mentally...Kobe is a fhcking warrior.

lol @ Heat007...and I guess Wade is a better play than Kobe too right? lol.

Yeah he is...

Javat_90
04-11-2011, 03:26 PM

NEXT...

The_Logo bringing some pwnage.

Kurosawa0
04-11-2011, 03:27 PM
Guys, when Phil writes a book bitching about coaching MJ, then maybe... maybe you'll have a leg to stand on. :oldlol:

Kurosawa0
04-11-2011, 03:28 PM
Yeah he is...

Kobe has the better career, but right now, Wade is the better of the two. I have Kobe sitting at #3 behind both LeBron & Wade.

bdreason
04-11-2011, 03:33 PM
This was like 7 years ago. Nice try though.

And if you watched the game last night, the Lakers played "team-ball" all the way to the end... and got spanked in the 4th.

Gasol - catch the ball in the post, use up the 24sec clock, kick to Fisher for 3.

Bynum - catch the ball in the post, make a really slow post move, brick.

Odom - make a spectacular full court drive and finish, the follow it with 4-5 bonehead plays.

Artest - brick 3's and foul everyone.

Fisher - the only guy besides Kobe who isn't scared in the 4th. Too bad he spends most the game watching his guy blow by him.

I'm sorry, but the Lakers don't have anyone who can close but Kobe. Everyone else on the team is mentally weak at the end of games, and although they all claim to want the ball more, when they get it, they don't do shit with it.

And I'm not claiming Kobe doesn't make mistakes too. His distrust in his teammates ability to close has cost the team wins... but having watched pretty much every Lakers game for the past 5 years, I can understand why he doesn't want to rely on these particular players down the stretch (outside of Fisher).

A.R.T
04-11-2011, 03:36 PM

And if you watched the game last night, the Lakers played "team-ball" all the way to the end... and got spanked in the 4th.

Gasol - catch the ball in the post, use up the 24sec clock, kick to Fisher for 3.

Odom - make a spectacular full court drive and finish, the follow it with 4-5 bonehead plays.

Fisher - the only guy besides Kobe who isn't scared in the 4th. Too bad he spends most the game watching his guy blow by him.

I'm sorry, but the Lakers don't have anyone who can close but Kobe. Everyone else on the team is mentally weak at the end of games, and although they all claim to want the ball more, when they get it, they don't do shit with it.

And I'm not claiming Kobe doesn't make mistakes too. His distrust in his teammates ability to close has cost the team wins... but having watched pretty much every Lakers game for the past 5 years, I can understand why he doesn't want to rely on these particular players down the stretch (outside of Fisher).
:applause:

AlphaWolf24
04-11-2011, 03:36 PM
Kobe has the better career, but right now, Wade is the better of the two. I have Kobe sitting at #3 behind both LeBron & Wade.

meh...wait till june

The Choken One
04-11-2011, 03:37 PM
Yeah he is...
That's why I said he's a warrior...no need to agree, I already know.

Rhyen
04-11-2011, 03:38 PM

QFT

Kurosawa0
04-11-2011, 03:38 PM
meh...wait till june

What? Are saying the Lakers might be the best team? Sure, I'm picking them. Kobe just individually isn't as good as Wade is now. He's getting old. It happens.

Kurosawa0
04-11-2011, 03:41 PM
:oldlol: Some of you guys are just pathetic. I mean really. This book was written seven years ago, why are you making threads on it now?

And yeah, I can't wait to see what Phil says in his next book! He's going to rip Kobe a new one for putting two (and counting) more rings on his hand! :roll:

What? Oh, sorry. I was just re-reading all the parts where Phil longs for the competitiveness of those old Bulls teams and reflects on how the Lakers didn't share that. Damn...

AlphaWolf24
04-11-2011, 03:43 PM
What? Are saying the Lakers might be the best team? Sure, I'm picking them. Kobe just individually isn't as good as Wade is now. He's getting old. It happens.

Kobe is 32 years old= 25 5 and 5 in 33min
Wade is 29 years old = 26 6 and 4 in 37 min

similar players in slightly different roles...

still taking Kobe...all day everyday and twice on Sunday

as the star of the team you are responsible for leading the team in crunchtime and setting the example for everyone to hopefully follow.....Winning is just a by product of everything the star does.....Winning matters most.

The Heat have 2 of the top 5 players in the League with another top 15 player....3 allstars on 1 team....that's a really really really great "team"

talkingconch
04-11-2011, 03:43 PM
:facepalm

Rhyen
04-11-2011, 03:46 PM

I agree Wade is currently THE better player throughout the regular season. But don't act like KB24 won't have some spectacular games this 2011 playoffs.. as will Wade. We'll see who performs better, can't wait for the playoffs to start.

Anyone have that GIF of Wade shaking his head (as a spectator) after one of Kobe's baskets last season in the playoffs? Believe it was already Lakers vs Celtics, but I don't recall.

Kurosawa0
04-11-2011, 03:47 PM

Wade's shooting 50%, something Kobe has never done. Also, Wade gets to the line more. Kobe's going to kill me with jump shots, Wade's going to put fouls on me and shoot better while doing it. Wade hurts more.

Kurosawa0
04-11-2011, 03:48 PM
Anyone have that GIF of Wade shaking his head (as a spectator) after one of Kobe's baskets last season in the playoffs? Believe it was already Lakers vs Celtics, but I don't recall.

How did the Lakers do in that game?

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
04-11-2011, 03:49 PM

as the star of the team you are responsible for leading the team in crunchtime and setting the example for everyone to hopefully follow.....Winning is just a by product of everything the star does.....Winning matters most.

The Heat have 2 of the top 5 players in the League with another top 15 player....3 allstars on 1 team....that's a really really really great "team"

Win shares 2010-2011 season:

Gasol = 13
Kobe = 9

Nothing has changed, Kobe is still sidekicking his way to rings.

04-11-2011, 03:50 PM
Guys, when Phil writes a book bitching about coaching MJ, then maybe... maybe you'll have a leg to stand on. :oldlol:

Uhhh, it's pretty common knowledge that MJ is a complete and utter self absorbed douchebag.

Your irrational hate is creepy.

Heilige
04-11-2011, 03:51 PM

Do you see the Lakers winning the championship?

Rasheed1
04-11-2011, 03:53 PM
Uhhh, it's pretty common knowledge that MJ is a complete and utter self absorbed douchebag.

^you say this as if kobe isnt an utterly self-absorbed douchebag too :oldlol:

f0und
04-11-2011, 03:54 PM
just wait til phil retires again. we'll probably hear more of the same stuff. of course he's not gonna say much while he's still kobe's coach.

bl2k8
04-11-2011, 03:55 PM
I didn't know winshares was the end all be all

Kurosawa0
04-11-2011, 03:58 PM

And yet, Phil didn't write a book about that in 1999.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
04-11-2011, 03:59 PM
They're pretty telling. On average it shows both Shaq and Jordan won during their reign, winning titles.

LeFraud Shames
04-11-2011, 04:00 PM

/thread

Seriously, get a life; the only reason you dislike Kobe is because he's winning and your precious Heat aren't.

Rhyen
04-11-2011, 04:03 PM
How did the Lakers do in that game?

Laff, all I'm saying is Wade was showing some respect.. obviously you're too blinded by your agenda. But whateva?! I ain't mad!

Court Vision
04-11-2011, 04:05 PM

/thread

You should be banned. You are either a troll, a complete moron, or 12 years old.

My guess is you are all three though.

Kurosawa0
Laff, all I'm saying is Wade was showing some respect.. obviously you're too blinded by your agenda. But whateva?! I ain't mad!

You were clearly trying to imply that it meant something in the debate.

NoGunzJustSkillz
damn this is some serious shit right here.

This destroys all the arguments kobe homers had of him being as good as MJ. Kobe is being exposed as a little punk :lol
while i agree kobe isnt as good as jordan, i find it comical how excited you got over something released 7 years ago.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
04-11-2011, 04:07 PM
Jordan was never that self absorbed to the point he was disrespecting Phil Jackson. :oldlol: at Phil wanting to trade Kobe's ass for Jason Kidd and Shawn Marion. Priceless!

rmt
04-11-2011, 04:07 PM

But those same players (Gasol, Artest, Fisher, Odom) are the ones who bailed him out in game 7 Finals 2010 when he couldn't hit the side of a barn.

SavageMode
04-11-2011, 04:13 PM
Jordan was never that self absorbed to the point he was disrespecting Phil Jackson. :oldlol: at Phil wanting to trade Kobe's ass for Jason Kidd and Shawn Marion. Priceless!
:roll:

Kellogs4toniee
04-11-2011, 04:15 PM
20 years down the road, no one is going to care about these little feuds. Kobe will go down as one of the greatest to play the game and that's that. I'm sure every super star has baggage behind the curtains.

OldSchoolBBall
04-11-2011, 04:20 PM
But those same players (Gasol, Artest, Fisher, Odom) are the ones who bailed him out in game 7 Finals 2010 when he couldn't hit the side of a barn.

Not just game 7 of the Finals, mind you - let's not forget the Gasol tip-in at the buzzer of Kobe's miss vs. the Thunder, Artest's buzzer-beater against Phoenix (I think) after a Kobe miss, Fisher's NUMEROUS clutch shots plus carrying the entire team on his back in game 5 vs. Boston where he hit 5-6 straight shots including a few ridiculous floaters etc.

SourGrapes
04-11-2011, 04:34 PM
Not just game 7 of the Finals, mind you - let's not forget the Gasol tip-in at the buzzer of Kobe's miss vs. the Thunder, Artest's buzzer-beater against Phoenix (I think) after a Kobe miss, Fisher's NUMEROUS clutch shots plus carrying the entire team on his back in game 5 vs. Boston where he hit 5-6 straight shots including a few ridiculous floaters etc.

:oldlol:

you're pathetic. you call these "bail outs" of kobe, when most sane people realize it takes good teams and contributions from everyone to win multiple championships.

add to the fact kobe has been in so many situations where important plays happen by virtue of being good, and of course there will be lots of other players making good plays.

we could sit here and name lots of amazing plays kobe has had in the playoffs as well, and it wouldn't mean anything.

next you should post a youtube clip

Grim
04-11-2011, 05:20 PM
wow this is OLD. damn.

yeah we already knew Kobe was a punk back then. lol who denies this? stanleys continue to make shiit up

A.R.T
04-11-2011, 05:23 PM
:oldlol:

you're pathetic. you call these "bail outs" of kobe, when most sane people realize it takes good teams and contributions from everyone to win multiple championships.

add to the fact kobe has been in so many situations where important plays happen by virtue of being good, and of course there will be lots of other players making good plays.

we could sit here and name lots of amazing plays kobe has had in the playoffs as well, and it wouldn't mean anything.

next you should post a youtube clip

kobe getting so much attention in those kind of scenarios leads to those offensive rebound opportunities

i swear people on this forum have NEVER played basketball before

Eat Like A Bosh
04-11-2011, 05:24 PM
Back in 2004, nice try.
Pretty sure every great player has their down moments.
But there is a reason that Phil came back, and they won 2 more. The Kobe now is definitely not the young Kobe back then. Those 2 are just fine now.

I never read Phil's book. If someone has a PDF version of it, I would appreciate it.

But doesn't matter. In the end of the day, everybody's gonna forget about this little feud, because of what Kobe has accomplished.

Calabis
04-11-2011, 05:35 PM

Here is one form January 3,2011

Phil blamed Kobe for the loss, noting that the Lakers couldn't get in rhythm despite a late surge, saying, "Kobe had to screw up the game and start energizing the team by going one-on-one." Kobe responded by blaming Jackson's strategies, saying, "I think we're looking too far down the road instead of looking just at the game that's right in front of you."

and from 2010:

[I]First it was Jackson, using his halftime pep talk to comment on Bryant's volume of shots:

Jackson told the team at halftime, when Bryant had 23 of the Lakers' 50 points, that Bryant was "forcing the action." Jackson also said in the halftime locker room, alluding to the 29 points Bryant needed in the game to pass Jerry West: "Let's get him over the hump, so we can play team ball again."

Then it was Gasol, who has been vocal about his lack of touches in the past, piling on his coach's comments after the game:

Gasol was asked about Bryant's new record and offered politically correct

chips93
04-11-2011, 05:35 PM
kobe is the reason why jesus died.

kobe is the centre piece of a two time champion, and the second best player on a 3 time champ. He might be a dickhead but a lot of times that is what the lakers need.

kobe is far from perfect, but his mentality towards basketball is better than most stars.

AlphaWolf24
04-11-2011, 05:50 PM

kobe is the centre piece of a two time champion, and the second best player on a 3 time champ. He might be a dickhead but a lot of times that is what the lakers need.

kobe is far from perfect, but his mentality towards basketball is better than most stars.

meh..he was the best player in the NBA as early as 2001....IMO he was a more important piece for the 2001 2002 playoff/title runs.

10+ years of 28.5PPG 5ast 6reb 7 NBA Finals , 5 NBA Championships leagues best player at 22 years old....

i agree with you...Kobe is the man

AlphaWolf24
04-11-2011, 05:53 PM

Gasol = 13
Kobe = 9

win shares???.....wtf? flawed stats that only hard core online fans use:confusedshrug:

Kobe top 5 alltime player and climbing.....

Next

Mr. Incredible
04-11-2011, 05:55 PM
I'm praying Kobe & the Lakers lose so Kobe can :cry:

eliteballer
04-11-2011, 06:12 PM
Phil wrote all that...and came back to coach Kobe a year later.

Somehow, I don't fully believe him:rolleyes:

chips93
04-11-2011, 06:12 PM
meh..he was the best player in the NBA as early as 2001....IMO he was a more important piece for the 2001 2002 playoff/title runs.

10+ years of 28.5PPG 5ast 6reb 7 NBA Finals , 5 NBA Championships leagues best player at 22 years old....

i agree with you...Kobe is the man

im not sure if we are agreeing. i think kobe is great, one of the best ever, but he could be so much better if he picked his spots better, but as for him being a dickhead, i think it helps his team more than it hurts it

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
04-11-2011, 06:22 PM
win shares???.....wtf? flawed stats that only hard core online fans use:confusedshrug:

Kobe top 5 alltime player and climbing.....

Next

As does ESPN. Besides, the "onliners" like to use TS and eFG %. As they do PER. All advanced and adjusted statistics.

Win shares own you, PER owns you, and so does FG%.

chips93
04-11-2011, 06:24 PM
Phil wrote all that...and came back to coach Kobe a year later.

Somehow, I don't fully believe him:rolleyes:

[/QUOTE]Phil Jackson talks about his return as coach of the Los Angeles Lakers at a news conference at Staples Center in Los Angeles Tuesday, June 14, 2005. Jackson has reconciled with the team that cut him loose last year after three NBA championships in five seasons. Jackson, who turns 60 in September agreed to a three-year contract. Terms were not announced, but it's believed he'll be earning around $10 million per year. [AP][/QUOTE]

you wouldnt swallow your tongue for 10 million a year?

AlphaWolf24
04-11-2011, 06:31 PM
As does ESPN. Besides, the "onliners" like to use TS and eFG %. As they do PER. All advanced and adjusted statistics.

Win shares own you, PER owns you, and so does FG%.

http://images4.fanpop.com/image/user_images/2173000/AlphaWolf-2173769_596_800.jpg

yup.....guess they forgot about "per":lol

next

eliteballer
04-11-2011, 06:32 PM
Phil Jackson talks about his return as coach of the Los Angeles Lakers at a news conference at Staples Center in Los Angeles Tuesday, June 14, 2005. Jackson has reconciled with the team that cut him loose last year after three NBA championships in five seasons. Jackson, who turns 60 in September agreed to a three-year contract. Terms were not announced, but it's believed he'll be earning around $10 million per year.

you wouldnt swallow your tongue for 10 million a year?

Because no other team was willing to pay a 9 time champion coach:facepalm Hell, he could have coached LeBron in Cleveland

Colby Brian
04-11-2011, 06:35 PM

Gasol = 13
Kobe = 9

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=213220

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
04-11-2011, 06:35 PM
yep same espn

According to Jackson, in Bryant's exit interview with him he stated that O'Neal's fate with the Lakers would affect his decision to return, saying "I'm tired of being a sidekick."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_Season:_A_Team_in_Search_of_Its_Soul

I'll take Jackson's words over ESPN's. Besides, Win Shares, PER, FG% and PPG all reiterate Shaq >>>> Kobe.

2 EZ

AlphaWolf24
04-11-2011, 06:51 PM
According to Jackson, in Bryant's exit interview with him he stated that O'Neal's fate with the Lakers would affect his decision to return, saying "I'm tired of being a sidekick."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_Season:_A_Team_in_Search_of_Its_Soul

I'll take Jackson's words over ESPN's. Besides, Win Shares, PER, FG% and PPG all reiterate Shaq >>>> Kobe.

2 EZ

"Kobe was tired of trying to involve Shaq for 3 quarters then taking over in the 4th" - ESPN

Kobe explains his "sidekick" role " ESPN -"Why do I need to turn my game down and involve Shaq...I should turn my game up...I've worked on it all summer" - after Phil Jackson asked Kobe to turn down his aggressivness to let Shaq get involved

ESPN2001 - "It's Kobe's team...It's Kobe's League...whether Shaq knows it or not"

"Kobe is the leagues best player at 22 years old".... - ESPN

"Kobe's the best allaround player I ever coached" - Phil Jackson

Shaq without Kobe = 1 Title as a "sidekick" right?...despite playing 7 seasons on a 50+ win team able to win it all

next...

SavageMode
04-11-2011, 06:55 PM
"Kobe was tired of trying to involve Shaq for 3 quarters then taking over in the 4th" - ESPN

Kobe explains his "sidekick" role " ESPN -"Why do I need to turn my game down and involve Shaq...I should turn my game up...I've worked on it all summer" - after Phil Jackson asked Kobe to turn down his aggressivness to let Shaq get involved

ESPN2001 - "It's Kobe's team...It's Kobe's League...whether Shaq knows it or not"

"Kobe is the leagues best player at 22 years old".... - ESPN

"Kobe's the best allaround player I ever coached" - Phil Jackson

Shaq without Kobe = 1 Title as a "sidekick" right?...despite playing 7 seasons on a 50+ win team able to win it all

next...
Like how he got eliminated by the Suns w/o Shaq, threatened to leave the Lakers and cried to Stern to send him a packaged Pau Gasol?

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
04-11-2011, 06:59 PM
Same ESPN that said Kobe > Jordan

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=hill/070326&sportCat=nba

Kobe Bryant is better than Michael Jordan.

:lol

AlphaWolf24
04-11-2011, 07:51 PM
The only reason I cited ESPN and Winshares was because I knew your dumbass would post that "Kobe > Shaq crap". Which is funny, because it's a 2nd page column, a columnist that doesn't even write for them anymore. I wonder why? :oldlol:

According to PER, WS, FG%, PPG, REB, and BLKs, Shaq has Kobe beat by a comfortable margin; this is why he won 3 Final MVPs and Kobe DID not. I thought he was the best player though? Nope. 2EZ, son.

Why are you arguing against Kobe himself and his own damn coach? :roll:

Oh and - "Stop comparing Kobe to Jordan. It's not fair. Michael Jordan is the greatest player I ever coached." -Phil Jackson

nope...tray again Jordan Jocker...once again Jordan stans talking outta their "Shut cho mouf"

not the same one your talking about....read it.

no surprise here...just like 90% of jordan stans, you don't got a clue and most likely never watched him play..

Phil Jackson agrees Kobe is a better skilled player then MJ - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtvRatRkevw&feature=related

NEXT

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
04-11-2011, 08:01 PM
And Phil Jackson talks about fg%. LOL. The greatest coach of all time that coached both players.....and the first thing he mentions is fg%.

Bu bu bu but......efficiency doesn't matter.
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

FG% is for online NERDS!!! Coaches never talk about shooting percentages. It's all about POINTS, POINTS, POINTS! STOP BEING ANOTHER JOHN HOLLINGER!!!

:oldlol: at the stans getting owned by Kobe's own coach.

DMAVS41
04-11-2011, 08:04 PM
FG% is for online NERDS!!! Coaches never talk about shooting percentages. It's all about POINTS, POINTS, POINTS! STOP BEING ANOTHER JOHN HOLLINGER!!!

:oldlol: at the stans getting owned by Kobe's own coach.

Phil Jackson has repeatedly talked about efficiency. He says fg% is the first thing he looks at after every game for his team and players.

When talking about Dirk last week, Phil Jackson said that Dirk is arguably the best crunch time player because of his efficiency.

Yep. Its just worthless though. It doesn't matter. We should just skew the issue with true shooting and if that doesn't work, claim a certain player doesn't care about efficiency.

And why does Phil look at fg%? Because it tells him how many shots he made and missed. And missed shots kill...Phil knows this. Not hard people.

olddangerfield
04-11-2011, 08:06 PM
Meh, all superstar players act like punks at some time or another I'm sure. The combination of their entire entourage and family saying their god as well as the media probably has something to do with it.

Maybe this is just a bit tad ironic but there was an entire book that was written that criticized Jordan's ego and his constant bashing of teammates, the coaching staff and Bulls management, the Jordan Rules.

here are some excerpts from the Jordan Rules which are quoted right from Jordan. I'm posting from this book to provide some context in which the book about Kobe was written. Should also be noted that Jordan was a lot older than kobe when he won his first three championships.

"It's probably a twelve-day. He needs two days to wake up." - Michael on a ten-day contract teammate

"Five more years and I'm out of here. I'm marking these days on a calendar, like I'm in jail. I'm tired of being used by this organization, by the league, by the writers, by everyone."

"They're not interested in winning. They just want to sell tickets, which they can do because of me. They won't make any deals to make us better. And this Kukoc thing. I hate that. They're spending all their time chasing this guy."

"If I were a general manager, we'd be a better team."

"Will Vanderbilt. He doesn't deserve to be named after a Big Ten school." - Michael on Will Perdue

"I want to prove the critics wrong...I want to see some serious moves from management, which I really haven't seen that much of yet, and I want to see more serious attitudes from my teammates this year when it comes to the playoffs. In the past, it's been more or less a joking thing, sort of a 'Well, we're here, so let's have a good time.'"

"I'm sure everything will be fine if we win, but if we start losing, I'm shooting."

"I know what I would do if I were coach. I'd determine our strengths and weaknesses and utilize them. And it's pretty clear what our strength is."

"Your boy doesn't want to play. I'm tired of bailing his ass out." - Michael yelling at Jim Cleamons about Dennis Hopson

"I don't know about trading a 24 year-old guy for a 34 year-old guy." - Michael questioning the Oakley trade

"He's causing me too many turnovers." - Michael on Cartwright's inability to catch

"Why the hell don't you ever set a pick like that in a game?" - Michael yelling at Perdue after also hitting Perdue upside his head (led to the institution of the private curtain for practices)

^ some of those quotes are actually really hilarious

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
04-11-2011, 08:13 PM
Phil Jackson has repeatedly talked about efficiency. He says fg% is the first thing he looks at after every game for his team and players.

When talking about Dirk last week, Phil Jackson said that Dirk is arguably the best crunch time player because of his efficiency.

Yep. Its just worthless though. It doesn't matter. We should just skew the issue with true shooting and if that doesn't work, claim a certain player doesn't care about efficiency.

And why does Phil look at fg%? Because it tells him how many shots he made and missed. And missed shots kill...Phil knows this. Not hard people.

When Phil retires he'll reiterate Jordan>>Kobe. There mere fact he went out of his way to talk about %'s (Kobe's .455 to Jordan's .497) tells all you need to know about his opinion.

Oh, and an FYI... the stans speak for Kobe. He himself said that he was tired of being a sidekick in 2004 yet these Kobe push poppers say he was better than Shaq and clearly the #1 option. lol!

DMAVS41
04-11-2011, 08:17 PM
When Phil retires he'll reiterate Jordan>>Kobe. There mere fact he went out of his way to talk about %'s (Kobe's .455 to Jordan's .497) tells all you need to know about his opinion.

Oh, and an FYI... the stans speak for Kobe. He himself said that he was tired of being a sidekick in 2004 yet these Kobe push poppers say Kobe was better and clearly the #1 option. lol!

I think Kobe did kind of try and take over the role of number 1 option in 2003 (in the playoffs at least) and definitely did in 2004.

That was where a lot of the friction came from. Kobe wasn't running the offense. He was shot jacking. That is where all this animosity between all the players came from.

Kobe would routinely shot jack and then when he got called on it, he would play the next few games and never shoot to prove a point. Kind of like he did in the 2nd half of a game 7. LOL

So I think its ok to call Kobe the number 1 option in 03 and 04. What happened with Kobe leading the way? Upset by the Spurs and the worst performance by an all time great ever in the 04 finals.

If Kobe was the number 1 option back then, he failed miserably at it. Or did he not have enough help? ROFL.

Mr. I'm So Rad
04-11-2011, 08:21 PM
I think Kobe did kind of try and take over the role of number 1 option in 2003 (in the playoffs at least) and definitely did in 2004.

That was where a lot of the friction came from. Kobe wasn't running the offense. He was shot jacking. That is where all this animosity between all the players came from.

Kobe would routinely shot jack and then when he got called on it, he would play the next few games and never shoot to prove a point. Kind of like he did in the 2nd half of a game 7. LOL

So I think its ok to call Kobe the number 1 option in 03 and 04. What happened with Kobe leading the way? Upset by the Spurs and the worst performance by an all time great ever in the 04 finals.

If Kobe was the number 1 option back then, he failed miserably at it. Or did he not have enough help? ROFL.

I can think of a another player that can come close to that...still bad though

Lebron23
01-23-2012, 08:28 PM
Phil Jackson couldn't even stop Kobe from shot jacking last year. No chance in hell that Kobe is gonna listen to Mike Brown.

KenneBell
01-23-2012, 08:37 PM
Phil Jackson couldn't even stop Kobe from shot jacking last year. No chance in hell that Kobe is gonna listen to Mike Brown.
You are a simple minded poster but you probably already knew that...

Heavincent
01-23-2012, 08:54 PM

Kobe should shoot all he wants this year, considering how bad his teammates are at shooting. He should shoot 25+ times a game.

And why the **** did you bump this thread? What was the point in that?

Scholar
01-23-2012, 08:59 PM

How long did it take you to find a thread from April of 2011? You know you're over 7 months too late, right?

LakersReign
01-24-2012, 02:52 AM
He's just doing what all fake Heat fans do when the Heat lose. Bring up Kobe, like that's somehow supposed to change something:facepalm

Soundwave
01-24-2012, 03:09 AM
Pretty much confirms everything I've thought about Kobe.

Shaq gets a lot of crap for being immature, and he will raise a stink, but being an army kid, eventually he falls in line. Kobe goes AWOL.

Deep down I think Phil can't stand him, but tolerated him to win some titles.

32Dayz
01-24-2012, 03:25 AM
Yup... even today Kobe is still doing whatever he wants even if it hurts his team (remember the 04 Finalz :facepalm).

He has a healthy Gasol and Bynum and he is still trying to win a scoring title even as his teams record falters.

therammingman
01-24-2012, 05:22 AM
[QUOTE=BEAST Griffin]

32Dayz
01-24-2012, 05:31 AM
Phil finally found someone too stupid to listen to him and take instruction even at the cost of wins and championships.

Fixed.

Truth is Kobe hurt LA in 03 and 04 and potentially cost them 2
(one for sure in 04) Titles by not running the offense through Shaq like PJ wanted and blatantly shot jacking.
He was basically doing this as a FU to the franchise and to basically say you either do things my way and build around me or I am leaving.

Even this year he is hurting the team again by shot jacking instead of feeding a healthy Bynum/Gasol duo.

RazorBaLade
01-24-2012, 05:42 AM
Fixed.

Truth is Kobe hurt LA in 03 and 04 and potentially cost them 2
(one for sure in 04) Titles by not running the offense through Shaq like PJ wanted and blatantly shot jacking.
He was basically doing this as a FU to the franchise and to basically say you either do things my way and build around me or I am leaving.

Even this year he is hurting the team again by shot jacking instead of feeding a healthy Bynum/Gasol duo.

By what ****ing metric have you determined that Bynum and Gasol are players worthy of more than 15 shots a game? They are doing terrible this year on 15, why would you give them 20?

FlashDwyaneWade3
01-24-2012, 05:44 AM
Yup... even today Kobe is still doing whatever he wants even if it hurts his team (remember the 04 Finalz :facepalm).

He has a healthy Gasol and Bynum and he is still trying to win a scoring title even as his teams record falters.
Gasol is healthy? Why is he wearing that shoulder pad? And give the ball to Bynum, he'll ball hog and turn the ball over.

32Dayz
01-24-2012, 05:46 AM
By what ****ing metric have you determined that Bynum and Gasol are players worthy of more than 15 shots a game? They are doing terrible this year on 15, why would you give them 20?

Bynum has produced well this year when actually given the ball consistently and Gasol has proven himself to be a 18-25ppg scorer on great effeciency.

You have 2 of the most talented offensive bigs in the league and your gonna shot jack instead of try to get them more involved in the offense?

Maybe their shot numbers look good to you but I have watched some LA games and in many of them Kobe is shooting far too much when either Bynum or Gasol has good position down low.

Crazy how anyone could think differently... how many teams in the league have that kind of fire power up front?

LA's record is a joke right now considering the talent they have and I put most of the blame on 24.

32Dayz
01-24-2012, 05:47 AM
Gasol is healthy? Why is he wearing that shoulder pad? And give the to Bynum, he'll ball hog and turn the ball over.

Dunno about the shoulder I never heard of him suffering any injury.

strifed169
01-24-2012, 06:02 AM
Kobe is one bad dude

Zach Morris
01-24-2012, 06:02 AM
Nice. Post an old assessment of Kobe Bryant by Phil and allow people to assume this is current without saying a word. :applause:
I'm sure a few naive posters in here were elated to hear Phil ripping Bryant again lol.

RazorBaLade
01-24-2012, 06:36 AM
Bynum has produced well this year when actually given the ball consistently and Gasol has proven himself to be a 18-25ppg scorer on great effeciency.

You have 2 of the most talented offensive bigs in the league and your gonna shot jack instead of try to get them more involved in the offense?

Maybe their shot numbers look good to you but I have watched some LA games and in many of them Kobe is shooting far too much when either Bynum or Gasol has good position down low.

Crazy how anyone could think differently... how many teams in the league have that kind of fire power up front?

LA's record is a joke right now considering the talent they have and I put most of the blame on 24.

i suggest u look at the stats because bynum gets pooped on by any big guy and gasol isnt even an allstar

big guys like hibbert>bynum
howard and anderson > bynum and pau

open your eyes

32Dayz
01-24-2012, 06:44 AM
i suggest u look at the stats because bynum gets pooped on by any big guy and gasol isnt even an allstar

big guys like hibbert>bynum
howard and anderson > bynum and pau

open your eyes

Pass that blunt bro...

Only part I dont disagree with is the Howard > Bynum but that gap is more due to defense and consistency then due to offensive ability.

Bynum had a great game against D12 in limited minutes btw... so he didn't get "pooped on" by the best defensive big in the league.

32Dayz
01-24-2012, 06:51 AM
BTW Bynum is only averaging 12 FGA per game not 15.
Both bigs are averaging 16ppg on 50+% shooting on limited touches.

Like I said Kobe is being a ball hog because he feels if he scores less he wont be taken seriously as a star player anymore.

LA would do much better if he deferred more to Bynum and Pau but he wont and in the end LA will fail either in the RS or in the 1st/2nd round of the PSeason.

If he got them involved and actually had them both used to producing at a higher level then they might have a slim chance at contention.

Just my opinions... if you think Kobe is god and both those bigs are trash (a strange opinion if you ask me) thats fine.

TMacYaoRockets
01-24-2012, 07:02 AM

Like I said Kobe is being a ball hog because he feels if he scores less he wont be taken seriously as a star player anymore.

LA would do much better if he deferred more to Bynum and Pau but he wont and in the end LA will fail either in the RS or in the 1st/2nd round of the PSeason.

If he got them involved and actually had them both used to producing at a higher level then they might have a slim chance at contention.

Just my opinions... if you think Kobe is god and both those bigs are trash (a strange opinion if you ask me) thats fine.
In my opinion, Kobe should shoot more. If you watched the games, the way Bynum plays with the ball in his hands are mostly terrible when he has it. Most of the time its bad decisions.

LakersReign
01-24-2012, 07:05 AM
In my opinion, Kobe should shoot more. If you watched the games, the way Bynum plays with the ball in his hands are mostly terrible when he has it. Most of the time its bad decisions.

Reasonable NBA fans who've watched recent Laker games would all say the same thing. The only idiots who would say otherwise, would obviously be the know nothing about anything Kobe haters.

RazorBaLade
01-24-2012, 07:07 AM
Pass that blunt bro...

Only part I dont disagree with is the Howard > Bynum but that gap is more due to defense and consistency then due to offensive ability.

Bynum had a great game against D12 in limited minutes btw... so he didn't get "pooped on" by the best defensive big in the league.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/bynuman01/gamelog/2012/

Everything after the 4th game is not good enough for what he supposedly is. Not to mention thats a TON of stinkers in a limited time for a guy who mostly has to shoot from 3 ft away.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/g/gasolpa01/gamelog/2012/

Heat and CLE are his only decent games in the last 2 weeks... And before that he only had 2-3 good ones.

Pau and Bynum have shown up for like 10 games combined this year out of 20. And by shown up I mean only played like all stars.

16 points on 12-15 shots is not that good... If kobe is a bad dude for scoring 40 on 30 shots then 16 on 15 is not a good game either. And more importantly every time they've played anyone good they've been raped besides pau on bosh.

I don't think they are trash or kobe is untouchable... I think they are having down years so far and bynums attitude is atrocious. I don't think they're better than players like love or aldridge and bynum got pooped on by hibbert.. I mean I thought pau was great a few years ago, and right now its probably bynum limiting him.. not kobe. Bynum needs to go.. u cant get pooped on by howard and hibbert and average something atrocious like 12 and 10 for your last 10 games for his money.