PDA

View Full Version : Off-Season Thread

Timmeh
04-17-2011, 09:08 PM
Everything for the draft and impending lockout for next season goes here. No need to post 100 different threads for every little thing.

Have fun.

onewickedlady
04-18-2011, 12:04 AM
Thx. Please sticky the thread. Thx again. :D

acidbasesalt
04-18-2011, 10:03 PM
final exams :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm

bio
biochem
chem
biochem
:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

onewickedlady
04-18-2011, 10:25 PM
final exams :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm

bio
biochem
chem
biochem
:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Hope you did well.

rufuspaul
04-19-2011, 01:34 PM
NBAdraft.net has us taking the following players in their mock draft:

#9: Marcus Morris, 6'9 F Kansas

#20: Nicola Vucevic, 6'10 PF/C USC

TLSubmit
05-07-2011, 11:12 PM
Hey im new here.

Nice to meet everyone!
Hope you all have a good day

SourPatchKids
05-08-2011, 03:32 PM
NBAdraft.net has us taking the following players in their mock draft:

#9: Marcus Morris, 6'9 F Kansas

#20: Nicola Vucevic, 6'10 PF/C USC
Might be able to steal Kemba.

onewickedlady
05-08-2011, 05:06 PM
Hey im new here.

Nice to meet everyone!
Hope you all have a good day

Welcome. We enjoy hearing from our fans from "across the pond."
BTW--how the heck does the Atlantic ocean translate into a 'pond'? :lol:

dukeblue4life
05-08-2011, 11:36 PM
Might be able to steal Kemba.

Why in the world would we want Kemba? We already have DJ, Henderson, and Jackson. Thats a load of scoring coming from the back court. We need to look for size, unless we can steal a wing that can we feel can be a big impact. If we don't do this then we'll be stuck with 4 gaurds and Tyrus and ....? We need to focus on team needs and not just over load our roster with gaurds.

rufuspaul
05-10-2011, 09:37 AM
Just heard that the Cats are sending Paul Silas to the Lottery. The last time that happened with the Hornets they went from 13th to 3rd and picked Baron Davis.

liverpooty
05-10-2011, 02:23 PM
Gerald Henderson had surgery today for a torn labrum. Out 4-6 months. Should be ready for training camp.

liverpooty
05-10-2011, 02:24 PM
And if Charlotte drafts any guard not named Kyrie Irving ill probably shoot myself.

Sterlingsucks
05-11-2011, 06:46 AM
I hope you guys get a Top 3 pick and get a shot at Enes Kanter, Derrick Williams or Kyrie..BUT if you stay at pick #9 someone like Tristan Thompson or Alec Burks, Jordan Hamilton or Klay Thompson would be a good pickup

Sterlingsucks
05-12-2011, 05:46 AM
I wonder if you guys would have a shot at Jeff Green in FA?

rufuspaul
05-12-2011, 08:32 AM
http://pinoybasketballfan.com/files/2011/05/wpid-110826042_crop_650x4403.jpg

No MJ, No.

Timmeh
05-12-2011, 11:53 AM
I think he'll be gone by the time we make a pick. If not, Utah will trade up to get him.

onewickedlady
05-16-2011, 09:19 AM
Bulls beat Heat. Now is that cool or what? :D

rufuspaul
05-16-2011, 09:40 AM
Bulls beat Heat. Now is that cool or what? :D

It's gonna be a great series. I'm really looking forward to OKC/Dallas too.

onewickedlady
06-21-2011, 05:27 PM
Why did the Cats mgmt bother to hire Cho? Why bother to hire anybody? So many veteran players rumored to be available and do we hear about Bobcat interest in any of them? No. Of course not. All we're hearing about re: Bobcat news is the fact that MJ is trying to force a lockout. Time to look for another owner for our team. :banghead: :rant: :wtf:

rufuspaul
06-22-2011, 11:07 AM
Why did the Cats mgmt bother to hire Cho? Why bother to hire anybody? So many veteran players rumored to be available and do we hear about Bobcat interest in any of them? No. Of course not. All we're hearing about re: Bobcat news is the fact that MJ is trying to force a lockout. Time to look for another owner for our team. :banghead: :rant: :wtf:

No one is gonna be signing any players until the new cba is worked out.

onewickedlady
06-22-2011, 04:26 PM
No one is gonna be signing any players until the new cba is worked out.

that's beside the point.

onewickedlady
06-30-2011, 11:53 PM
Well, the lockout is now official. To begin about ten minutes from now. What a drag.

Timmeh
07-01-2011, 11:34 AM
Meh. The way I see it, the NBA is still the 3rd most popular sport in America, and I could make a good argument that hockey is more popular.

Hopefully this lockout will fix a lot of the problems the NBA has structurally. If that means sacrificing a season to make the league better as a whole, go for it.

onewickedlady
07-01-2011, 02:07 PM
From what I've been reading, neither the players union nor Stern are being honest about what they're offering/conceding/reporting, etc. Could be that the obvious greed and game-playing from both sides will just turn folks off to the NBA. Then everyone will lose.

About hockey: someone else suggested that sport as an alternative to NBA and NFL for the coming season. Maybe I'll check it out.

Timmeh
07-01-2011, 06:56 PM
I actually find that a lot of women enjoy hockey more than any other sport...I don't know why, maybe its the gracefulness of ice skating...

Anywho, hockey is pretty awesome. But like every other sport its more fun in person than it is on tv.

rufuspaul
07-07-2011, 02:03 PM
Both of these lockouts are killing me and we haven't even lost any games yet.:mad:

onewickedlady
07-07-2011, 05:13 PM
Both of these lockouts are killing me and we haven't even lost any games yet.:mad:

Will you get refunds from the NBA and NFL for season tickets unused?

rufuspaul
07-11-2011, 08:43 AM
Will you get refunds from the NBA and NFL for season tickets unused?

The Bobcats are offering 2 choices for season ticket holders:

1. Apply $ from any lost games to next season + 5% interest.
2. Get a refund for any lost games +1% interest.

Jerry Richardson is offering refunds for any missed games + 0% interest.:mad:

~spectre~
08-04-2011, 11:20 AM
DJ White Interview with Hoopsworld/Susan Bible (http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=20522)

rufuspaul
08-09-2011, 11:47 AM
DJ White Interview with Hoopsworld/Susan Bible (http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=20522)

He was one of the few positives to come out of last season.

onewickedlady
08-10-2011, 05:23 PM
So, is there a specific date by which, if there's no new contract, the 2011-2012 season will be officially cancelled?

~spectre~
08-11-2011, 08:40 AM
So, is there a specific date by which, if there's no new contract, the 2011-2012 season will be officially cancelled?

Pretty sure there isn't.

Here's some key dates from the 1998/1999 lockout:

By September 25, 24 exhibition games were canceled and training camps were postponed indefinitely as a result of stalled talks. Further negotiating sessions took place in October and November, but no agreement was reached. The season's first two weeks were officially canceled on October 13, and 99 games scheduled for November were lost as a result. It was the first time in NBA history that games were canceled due to a labor dispute. On October 20, arbitrator John Feerick ruled that the owners did not have to pay players with guaranteed contracts during the lockout. Feerick's decision gave the owners leverage in bargaining talks. Another factor favoring the owners was that their teams received money from the NBA's television broadcasters, whose contracts with the league called for payments to be made if games were not played.

Further games were canceled as the lockout continued through November and December, including the 1999 All-Star Game, which had been scheduled to be played on February 14, 1999 at the First Union Center in Philadelphia.

On December 23, Stern announced that he would recommend canceling the season if there was no deal by January 7, 1999.

In 1998 Stern set a deadline of January 7th. The decision seems to be at his whim...so that may or may not be his deadline this time around.

~spectre~
08-11-2011, 09:00 AM
Lockout FAQs: What, how and what's next in labor standoff (http://www.nba.com/news/lockout-faqs/index.html)

Pretty good read on NBA.com

onewickedlady
08-11-2011, 05:56 PM
Thanks, spectre.

onewickedlady
10-11-2011, 05:54 AM
Anyone on ISH thinking any differently now that the first two weeks of the regular season have been cancelled? I hate to have a 'who gives a sh*t' attitude but I think it's beginning to develop all by itself without any effort on my part. Of course I don't think that any of the Cats are responsible for the impasse in negotiations. Those guys don't earn enough money yet to be greedy.
At least there is one more IndyCar race and a losing but mostly gun-to-watch football season.

Timmeh
10-11-2011, 12:08 PM
The fact that the players can't be civil and logical and accept a 50/50 split is irritating. On top of that, this is the only league where players get paid ridiculous amounts of money to do so little. MLB players have a grueling season, 6 months, every day playing. NFL and NHL is pretty obvious, very physical, short careers. But basketball? Where people get paid 12 million a year to play 6 minutes a game just because they were born tall? Ridiculous. The players don't deserve that much money, especially with the way the economy is and the competition they have just with college ball alone.

As for the Panthers, yes they are still losing, but it's actually fun to watch them lose. Like, you know they're going to lose just because they're inexperienced, but they make the games fun and interesting to watch because they compete now and actually try to win, unlike the last two years.

However, I don't like Legadoo Naanee or whatever his name is. I swear he drops 5 balls a game.

rufuspaul
10-12-2011, 11:04 AM
The owners are doing what has to be done. The current model just won't work without serious (and I mean serious) contraction of the teams. They hold the upper hand in that they can wait out longer than the players. For the players it's not just lost wages, it's lost time on the court that they will never get back. It's not like they can just add an extra season on the the end of their career because there is only a finite amount of time one can compete at the NBA level before age and injury take away from one's skill set.

Right now I've got college and pro football, MLB playoffs and upcoming college basketball to keep me occupied. Come the end of December though I'll be jonsing for the Bobcats.

onewickedlady
10-12-2011, 04:22 PM
Those who are losing the most are the employees of the arena and the owners/employees of the surrounding small businesses. They are the 'little guys' and the ones who really lose (they and their families) during the lockout.

Is it a possibility that some of the small-market teams will fold? That would really suck.

Timmeh
10-12-2011, 05:41 PM
The only way small market teams fold is if the entire league folds. The owners will get their way on this. The only way they don't is if someone forms an entirely new league. And if that happens, there will be smaller market teams anyway.