PDA

View Full Version : The Draft Thread

Black Joker
04-19-2011, 11:02 AM
the 2010-2011 Season has ended for the Cavs, with a record of 19-63. Thanks to a nice resurgence in the last couple of games, we didn't end up with the worst record in the NBA. Something that might come as a surprise because of our record setting losing streak.

We obviously didn't make the playoffs, so the next thing for the Cavs to look forward to is the Draft and Free Agency. We have two lottery picks in the upcoming draft that looks to be losing talent everyday with many of the top players returning to school. That said, what do you think we should do in the draft? While the order hasn't been set yet, we all have to have players that we want the Cavs to pick up, whether it be the Duke standout Kyrie Irving, the beast from Arizona Derrick Williams, taking our choice of an international big like Kanter, Valanciunas, Biyombo, or Motiejunas.

Cav fans, lay out your hopes for our future:cheers:

Black Joker
04-19-2011, 04:26 PM
The Cleveland Cavaliers have two first round picks in the 2011 NBA Draft.

"Every year we know one thing: We know there's 10-15, 12-15 good players,” Cavs General Manager Chris Grant said. “Our job is to figure out who those guys are. Those are the marching orders we give our scouts: Go figure out who those guys are."

Grant said he and his staff will meet with coach Byron Scott and his staff to determine a course of action moving forward. Asked whether he anticipated drafting to fill a need or to acquire the best player available, Grant did not hesitate.

"My philosophy, best available," he said, "particularly when you're drafting high, you want to look for the best talent and human beings. The human being part is very important."

Via Mary Schmitt Boyer/Plain Dealer

can't argue with that philosophy

Meticode
04-20-2011, 12:44 AM
the 2010-2011 Season has ended for the Cavs, with a record of 19-63. Thanks to a nice resurgence in the last couple of games, we didn't end up with the worst record in the NBA. Something that might come as a surprise because of our record setting losing streak.

We obviously didn't make the playoffs, so the next thing for the Cavs to look forward to is the Draft and Free Agency. We have two lottery picks in the upcoming draft that looks to be losing talent everyday with many of the top players returning to school. That said, what do you think we should do in the draft? While the order hasn't been set yet, we all have to have players that we want the Cavs to pick up, whether it be the Duke standout Kyrie Irving, the beast from Arizona Derrick Williams, taking our choice of an international big like Kanter, Valanciunas, Biyombo, or Motiejunas.

Cav fans, lay out your hopes for our future:cheers:
I'm not sold on Irving for whatever reason. He barely played 300 minutes in his freshmen season. Derrick Williams looks like a good athlete. I'm not sure who I'd like the Cavaliers to pick, I just hope it turns out well.

bisk
04-20-2011, 10:16 AM
Is there actually a player that has everyone thinking 'Oh snap, we gotta have him'....:lol Hopefully we get the number 1 or 2 pick, and we'll probably play it safe with Williams or Irving. Now, the Clippers pick is the one that will be interesting. I hope we're going for a high risk, high reward option there. But seriously, any way we're going in this draft is gonna have its proponents and adversaries.

Sterlingsucks
05-11-2011, 06:51 AM
If you guys can luck out and get 2 of the top 3 picks that would be sweet obviously if its #1 you go Kyrie, the #2 Derrick Williams then #3 Enes Kanter but if stay put in your regualr spots and take #2 Derrick Williams and #8 I would go for Alec Burks/Klay Thompson beacuse J.J Hickson should be your PF even though there are plenty available in the 2011 NBA Draft that would take from his minutes and Parker is what 36 years old now...

jbryan1984
05-11-2011, 03:51 PM
Were either gonna get Irving or Williams. Either one would do. Baron can coach Irving on being a good NBA PG, Williams is good cause we need a 3.

Sterlingsucks
05-11-2011, 04:00 PM
This is IF they dont get jumped in the Lottery...if they get jumped 1 time thats fine but 2 or 3 would be horrible ! to have to settle for the #4 pick would suck

Black Joker
05-13-2011, 05:16 PM
Nick Gilbert, the 14-year-old son of Cavaliers owner Dan Gilbert, will represent the Cavs on stage at the NBA Draft lottery Tuesday in Secaucus, N.J.

Nick is the 2011 National Children's Tumor Foundation Ambassador.

The CTF is dedicated to improving the health and well-being of more than one in 3,000 children born with Neurofibromatosis, a nerve disorder that causes tumors to grow anywhere in the body at any time.

Nick was born with NF and has endured brain surgery, the loss of vision in one eye and four rounds of chemotherapy.

''We talk a lot about heroes in sports, but sometimes we overlook the heroes that are in front of us every day,'' Dan Gilbert said. ''Nick has never complained a single time about the bad card he was dealt, and instead, chooses to focus on all that is good and exciting around him. He is an example of perseverance, determination and life the way it should be lived. Nick is my personal hero.''

Via Jason Lloyd/Akron Beacon Journal

anything that brings a little more attention to the Children's Tumor Foundation is good in my book

idizzle
05-17-2011, 11:26 AM
The Cavs should look out for Darius Morris from Michigan. He's a big 6'4 PG.

Black Joker
05-17-2011, 09:07 PM
First and Fourth picks. this is something we can build on

magic chiongson
05-17-2011, 10:05 PM
looking good :applause:

Nastradamus
05-18-2011, 03:29 AM
Congrats. Irving seems to be a foregone conclusion. Part of me would consider Derrick Williams and then either Walker or Knight at 4 though. Otherwise I guess its someone like Valciunas or Leonard at 4.

Black Joker
05-19-2011, 08:06 PM
nice interview with Kyrie from DraftExpress

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErMV6N5WyHc&feature=player_embedded

idizzle
05-20-2011, 12:56 PM
I'm hearing the Cavs could draft Kyrie Irving and Derrick or Irving and Alec Burk.

Which pair would be better?

chips93
05-21-2011, 07:28 AM
I'm hearing the Cavs could draft Kyrie Irving and Derrick or Irving and Alec Burk.

Which pair would be better?

i think derrick williams is gone by the 4th pick, so id like to see either irving and valanciunas, or irving and kanter

Nastradamus
05-22-2011, 11:47 PM
I'm just more and more convinced that Derrick Williams is the best player in this draft. He's going to be a superstar IMO. I'm also becoming more and more convinced that both Knight and Walker are scorring guard off the bench types. I'd probably go Williams and Valanciunas/Kanter. I'd consider Burks as well.

If you go Irving and still want a SF, I'd take Singleton over Vessely or Leonard, maybe in a trade down to 8 or something.

Black Joker
05-24-2011, 09:23 AM
Heard Cleveland offered Memphis their #4 pick in exchange for Rudy Gay (w/help of their trade exception). Memphis rejected

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com/twitter.php#ixzz1NHAPqFT1
http://www.draftexpress.com

hmmm...

idizzle
05-26-2011, 11:45 AM
The Cavs are working out my boy Cory Higgins today.

http://www.dailycamera.com/sports/ci_18142890

He's 6'5 and can play both PG-SG positions.

Black Joker
05-29-2011, 01:30 AM
The Cleveland Cavaliers are in discussions with the Minnesota Timberwolves and Detroit Pistons about a three-team trade that would give Cleveland the top two picks of next month's NBA draft.

The Cavaliers would use the picks to select Duke point guard Kyrie Irving and Arizona forward Derrick Williams, the sources said.

In the trade being discussed, Cleveland would absorb Detroit's Richard Hamilton into the $14.6 million trade exception it received in last summer's LeBron James sign-and-trade with Miami, while also receiving the Pistons' No. 8 pick. The Cavaliers would then send that pick, along with their fourth pick, to Minnesota for the Timberwolves' second pick.

Cleveland would then buy Hamilton out of the $25 million remaining in the last two years on his contract, leaving the veteran shooting guard free to sign with another club as a free agent.

Via Chris Broussard/ESPN The Magazine

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/213895/Cavaliers_In_Trade_Talks_With_Timberwolves_Pistons _For_No_2_Pick#ixzz1NiTzXFl1

interesting interesting

idizzle
05-30-2011, 01:04 PM
interesting interesting

I hope the Cavs can pull it off. I heard and read that if Williams get drafted to the Cavs that he wants to wear #23. I hope he wears it.

Nastradamus
05-30-2011, 01:22 PM
Gilbert needs to lay down the hammer and make them draft Williams #1. Go with either Valanciunas or Knight at 4.

Black Joker
05-30-2011, 06:33 PM
Gilbert needs to lay down the hammer and make them draft Williams #1. Go with either Valanciunas or Knight at 4.
:no:

i still don't understand why people want Knight over Irving. Irving is bigger and is much closer to a pure PG than Knight.

Nastradamus
05-31-2011, 10:49 AM
I don't want Knight over Irving, I want Williams over Irving.

A lot of people who have been around and/or watched Knight seem to have a different opinion of him than your average fan. Supposedly extremely coachable and some are pretty impressed with his passing skills. He tested out extremely well with his quickness, athleticism and size too.

Plus with Sessions/Davis, you have time to groom Knight into a PG. You have no other way to acquire a young, potential star at SF though. I really think Williams will be a superstar, that's the key to whether you draft him or not.

and he's not "bigger" enough to matter

Black Joker
05-31-2011, 04:05 PM
I don't want Knight over Irving, I want Williams over Irving.

A lot of people who have been around and/or watched Knight seem to have a different opinion of him than your average fan. Supposedly extremely coachable and some are pretty impressed with his passing skills. He tested out extremely well with his quickness, athleticism and size too.

Plus with Sessions/Davis, you have time to groom Knight into a PG. You have no other way to acquire a young, potential star at SF though. I really think Williams will be a superstar, that's the key to whether you draft him or not.

and he's not "bigger" enough to matter
I do like Williams, and wouldn't have a major problem with taking him at 1, as i think he's easily one of the two top talented prospects of this draft, but I would rather take Irving who won't be switching positions. as draftexpress noted
Looking at other small forwards drafted in the top-15 in our database, Williams would be the heaviest small forward picked since Rodney Rogers in 1993. Rogers didn't spend a significant time at the three-position as his career progressed. The next heaviest three drafted in that range was LeBron James, who tipped the scales at 245. By no means is it impossible to see Williams playing the small forward position full time at the next level, but he would rank as one of the more physically unique players we've seen there in some time.

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Derrick-Williams-5811/#ixzz1NxiM49Pq
http://www.draftexpress.com That said, with his drive, i wouldn't put it past him to be a stud SF. But as much as i like the Cavs, we're more than likely going to be in the lottery next year, with a lot more talented wings coming out. if we stay at 1 and 4, i like the combo of Irving and Kanter moreso than Williams-Knight.

chips93
05-31-2011, 04:52 PM
But as much as i like the Cavs, we're more than likely going to be in the lottery next year, with a lot more talented wings coming out. if we stay at 1 and 4, i like the combo of Irving and Kanter moreso than Williams-Knight.

this

i think we need to get two solid players this year, and get a potential superstar in next year's draft, which looks a lot better. i didnt like what i heard from williams' interview, and im skeptical about him wanting to play the 3 for the first time in his life at the nba. id like to see us take irving and either kanter or valanciunas, preferably kanter, as i heard valanciunas had contract issues.

Black Joker
06-01-2011, 11:23 AM
NBA Combine medical examination results are slowly trickling out. We must proceed w/caution, but appears Enes Kanter's knee checked out fine

Internet reports indicated that Enes Kanter has bad knees. It appears that they were unsubstantiated. Not a nice thing to speculate about...

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com/twitter.php#ixzz1O2dfwFc3
http://www.draftexpress.com

well that's good to hear

1~Gibson~1
06-07-2011, 02:42 PM
Pick No.1 = Kyrie Irving - it's a PGs league now. John Wall, Tyreke Evans, D-Rose, D.Williams, CP3.....etc. we gotta have one of those guys if we wanna win a ring.

Pick No.4 - imo id trade it for a swingman on the market (AI2, Rudy Gay-if available-) but if i had to draft someone it would either be Kanter or Williams if theyre still available

idizzle
06-08-2011, 02:44 PM
http://www.nbadraft.net/team-needs-central-division-1

Black Joker
06-23-2011, 07:42 PM
and officially, we take Kyrie Irving!

Black Joker
06-23-2011, 07:59 PM
and surprisingly, we take Tristen Thompson with our 4th

Black Joker
06-23-2011, 10:34 PM
with the 32 pick, we take Justin Harper