PDA

View Full Version : Who is the better basketball player - Carmelo Anthony or Dwyane Wade?

Human Error
04-26-2011, 04:49 AM
Ok, I know you're tired of all the "LeBron vs Carmelo" threads, then what about "Wade vs Carmelo"? Since Carmelo fans think Carmelo is better than LeBron they will automatically think that Carmelo is better than Wade also, and Wade fans will have a lot to say about it. Personally I think Wade is a better player, what would you all say?

Sarcastic
04-26-2011, 04:56 AM
I am a Carmelo fan and I don't think he is better than Lebron, so your first supposition is wrong.

As far as Carmelo vs Wade, I would say they are very very close, with perhaps Wade being slightly better. He was fortunate though to be able to play with a near prime Shaq and get that early ring. If Carmelo or Lebron got to play with Shaq back in 2005-6, either of them would have a ring too.

King Lebron LBJ
04-26-2011, 04:56 AM
Not sure how anybody can think melo is better than wade

blablabla
04-26-2011, 04:58 AM
as a bball player melo
as an athlete wade

Stuckey
04-26-2011, 04:59 AM
tough one, i havent watched much of melo this year but i have a preference for him

Scoooter
04-26-2011, 05:00 AM
Said it before the season started: Miami has the number one and number two best players in the league on the same. Number three is also in Florida.

NuggetsFan
04-26-2011, 05:02 AM
Dwayne Wade is extremely underrated. Past few years, he's be right there with LeBron and Kobe but for some strange reason get's left beyond.

Answer is Dwayne Wade quite easily. Carmelo's been better for stretches, I recall him having a better start than Wade for like 14 games back in '09. Besides that I'm not even sure how it can be remotely close. Melo is more clutch and rebounds the ball better. More versatile scorer but Wade's not a slouch in that area. Not only has Wade surpassed what Melo's done scoring the ball the past few years, he's done it quite efficiently. Defensively? It's not much of a contest. Wade has the ability to control an offense and get other's involved at a much higher level than Melo can. Playoffs? Dwayne Wade, once again has been better in that area in terms of individual play.

It's really not even a question. Dwayne Wade the past few years has been an upper tier superstar. A guy that's actually had a legit case as the best player in the game as recent as '08. Carmelo has always been a second tier kinda player. You compare Dwayne to LeBron|Kobe|Prime CP3 a few years back|Dwight Howard. You compare Melo to Dirk|Durant|Deron and guy's like that.

IMO anyways. To sum it up you can look at what Melo did with scrubs against Boston, than look at what Dwayne Wade did with scrubs against Boston :confusedshrug:

moe94
04-26-2011, 05:05 AM
Wade scores more on greater efficiency and the disparity in their defensive presence is laughable. The LeBron/Carmelo debate ended their sophmore years when LBJ showed he was a clearly much better player. There was never a reason for a Wade comparison due to the fact that Carmelo simply isn't in their tier of dominance on either end.

Sarcastic
04-26-2011, 05:07 AM
Dwayne Wade is extremely underrated. Past few years, he's be right there with LeBron and Kobe but for some strange reason get's left beyond.

Answer is Dwayne Wade quite easily. Carmelo's been better for stretches, I recall him having a better start than Wade for like 14 games back in '09. Besides that I'm not even sure how it can be remotely close. Melo is more clutch and rebounds the ball better. More versatile scorer but Wade's not a slouch in that area. Not only has Wade surpassed what Melo's done scoring the ball the past few years, he's done it quite efficiently. Defensively? It's not much of a contest. Wade has the ability to control an offense and get other's involved at a much higher level than Melo can. Playoffs? Dwayne Wade, once again has been better in that area in terms of individual play.

It's really not even a question. Dwayne Wade the past few years has been an upper tier superstar. A guy that's actually had a legit case as the best player in the game as recent as '08. Carmelo has always been a second tier kinda player. You compare Dwayne to LeBron|Kobe|Prime CP3 a few years back|Dwight Howard. You compare Melo to Dirk|Durant|Deron and guy's like that.

IMO anyways. To sum it up you can look at what Melo did with scrubs against Boston, than look at what Dwayne Wade did with scrubs against Boston :confusedshrug:

Wade had better scrubs last year with Miami than Melo had this year with NY once Amar'e and Chauncey went down. Wade did 33/5.6/6.8. Melo this year did 26/10.3/3.1.

Toizumi
04-26-2011, 05:12 AM
Wade gets this one in my opinion.

Defensively
Defensively Wade is better.. one of the best wing defenders in the league. Best shotblocking SG as well and he also gets his amount of steals. Not just a star on offense.
Melo is not known as a great defender. He can play some nice D from time to time, but overall his defense efforts are just average, especially compared to his great offensive game.
Edge: Wade

Offense
Melo has more range, a killer jumpshot and a nice set of moves. His 3pt shot is better than Wade's as well. Both players can get to the rim, but Wade has a slight edge in that department. Both are great scorers.. Wade has slightly better percentages, but that doesnt mean too much. Both guys can hit clutch shots as well.
Both guys are wing players.. but Melo is a forward and Wade a Guard. Wade has the edge on offense in my opinion, because is better at setting up his teammates. Wade on the drive is dangerous because he is good at finding the open man. Melo is great on offense, but he can't run a team like Wade can. Not really a fair comparison really..
Slight edge: Wade

Swaggin916
04-26-2011, 05:20 AM
Wade by a country mile.

entropy35
04-26-2011, 05:24 AM

I like your posts. Easily one of the best posters on this board.

Sarcastic
04-26-2011, 05:25 AM
You need to also consider the situations they have played under. Wade was coached by Pat Riley. Carmelo has played under Karl for his whole career. Wade got to play with a still prime Shaq that finished second in MVP voting and was determined to show Kobe up. Carmelo had to play with a past prime Iverson who still wanted to dominate the ball.

TaLvsCuaL
04-26-2011, 05:32 AM
Wade.

Next question.

2swift4u
04-26-2011, 05:35 AM

very good post imo. I would agree

therammingman
04-26-2011, 05:37 AM
Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

therammingman
04-26-2011, 05:40 AM
Easily wade. He has done more with less throughout his career.

And individually, he is a better man defender, better team defender, a better creator for others, better slasher and finisher at the hoop...his post up game is not as good - mainly due to being shorter than melo - and his midrange is not as consistent. Plus I think wade has the "IT" factor.

mateoboz
04-26-2011, 05:44 AM
Wade. No brainer.

DMAVS41
04-26-2011, 05:47 AM
LOL

Wade. Not even remotely close.

Melo is extremely over-rated.

nashwade
04-26-2011, 05:54 AM
the problem with wade is that he may be over his prime. i'm not expecting another 06 performance in the rest of his career

melo? never gotten close to wade's level and maybe he will, one day. but I highly doubt so

ballerz
04-26-2011, 06:13 AM
wade easily.

derb2k2
04-26-2011, 06:14 AM
someone post the KOBE gif "OP IS A ******" plz. :facepalm

prodnus
04-26-2011, 06:16 AM
Wade :milton

Alonzo Magic
04-26-2011, 06:20 AM
someone post the KOBE gif "OP IS A ******" plz. :facepalm

He's a longtime Heat fan. The essence of the thread is to just gauge an opinion, no need to be dismissive.

bizil
04-26-2011, 04:15 PM
I gotta go with DWade on this one. Scoring ability is very close but I will lean to Melo cause he can score more ways than anybody in the L. And Melo for a SF rebounds very good averaging around 8 boards a game. But what sets Wade apart is that he's an all league defender in addition to being able to play the PG or SG. When u have supreme takeover scoring ability and a great all around game those guys are the greatest. These are guys like Wade, MJ, Kobe, Big O, Bird, Jerry West, Havlicek, prime Penny, prime G Hill, etc. Even guys like Magic and Zeke can qualify cause they were great, great scorers and would deliver in the clutch. But they were the ultimate floor generals so their focus was often on that.

But after these type of guys I like the guys like Dr. J, Melo, Iceman, Nique, Bernard, English, Dantley, Durant, etc. Guys who have just as scoring ability as the other guys I named. They can put a team on its back and win games. The only difference is the all around aspects. But these guys are still great, great HOF type of players. And lets face it, the only stat in bball that guarantees a win is points. So having guys who are beasts at scoring are at a premium when it comes to the bottom line.

Bigsmoke
04-26-2011, 04:17 PM
Wade

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
04-26-2011, 04:17 PM
Is this really a question? Wade by a country mile (which was already said, lol!)

ICanDunk
04-26-2011, 04:18 PM
Wade because Carmelo plays like a clown when he's not scoring or occasionally getting a rebound. Carmelo is the better scorer though.

Eat Like A Bosh
04-26-2011, 04:24 PM
Dwyane Wade...
Melo is bigger, a better rebounder, and a better pure shooter(as evidenced from the FT line), and has craftier scoring moves.
Wade can do more than just score, he plays better defense whether it's on ball or off ball, runs his team's offense better, better passer, better finisher at the rim.
Wade plays bigger than his size.
Wade is more versatile.
Wade has proven that he can lead his team to a championship.

BlackJoker23
04-26-2011, 04:26 PM
I gotta go with DWade on this one. Scoring ability is very close but I will lean to Melo cause he can score more ways than anybody in the L.
melo is not a better scorer than wade. check wade's numbers in the playoffs where he's ripped apart great defenses like 06 pistons, 10 celtics. melo has a very smooth game and has a more diverse skillset than wade (better footwork, post game, mid range) but he's not as effective as wade. he can't get to the lane as well as wade does largely due to wade's superior slashing ability and handle. wade's ability to draw fouls and finish around the rim at a high level is invaluable. only thing melo has on wade is gamewinning shots and rebounding.

pauk
04-26-2011, 04:27 PM
1. lebron
2. wade
3. dwight
4. healthy chris paul
5. durant
6. kobe bryant
7. dirk nowitzki
8. derrick rose / westbrook
9. carmelo anthony <----

so no... he is not better than wade

ATL_Bball_King
04-26-2011, 04:32 PM
Offense Melo>>Wade
Defense Wade>>>Melo

And since there is a bigger gap in wades defense compared to melo...I guess i would have to go with Wade...But i would say right now melo is the best offensive scorer in the game...

bizil
04-26-2011, 04:37 PM
melo is not a better scorer than wade. check wade's numbers in the playoffs where he's ripped apart great defenses like 06 pistons, 10 celtics. melo has a very smooth game and has a more diverse skillset than wade (better footwork, post game, mid range) but he's not as effective as wade. he can't get to the lane as well as wade does largely due to wade's superior slashing ability and handle. wade's ability to draw fouls and finish around the rim at a high level is invaluable. only thing melo has on wade is gamewinning shots and rebounding.

I said Melo has more ways to score than Wade. And thats what swayed my opinion cause their scoring numbers are very similar. Understand EXACTLY what I'm saying first before u disagree. Plus Melo can get to the rack too and get to the line. Wade might be the better pure slasher, but Melo can get it done slashing.

crisoner
04-26-2011, 04:37 PM
Offense Melo>>Wade
Defense Wade>>>Melo

And since there is a bigger gap in wades defense compared to melo...I guess i would have to go with Wade...But i would say right now melo is the best offensive scorer in the game...

Agreed with offense and defense....

But Wade does take night off on Dee...but Melo can take a whole season off..lol.

I have been saying though Melo is the best scorer in the NBA when he wants to be. He can beat you on the dribble...hit fade aways...drive for And 1's, post with great footwork...hit clutch buckets...three's...hit shots with defenders in his grill...etc. etc. Again all this when his mind is in the game...sometime I think Melo just gets lazy though.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
04-26-2011, 04:43 PM
Melo might be the most skilled, but he isn't the most effective, thus not the best. Dude is shooting what, 43% for the season? Laid an egg vs Boston other than that crazy game 2 performance. Kobe, Durant, LeBron, and Wade are better scorers than Melo, IMO. Kobe and Melo are probably the most skilled scorers, though.

BlackJoker23
04-26-2011, 04:48 PM
I said Melo has more ways to score than Wade. And thats what swayed my opinion cause their scoring numbers are very similar. Understand EXACTLY what I'm saying first before u disagree. Plus Melo can get to the rack too and get to the line. Wade might be the better pure slasher, but Melo is get it done slashing.
their scoring numbers are not similar. raw ppg yes but not efficiency. wade shoots a much higher percent from the field. lets not forget, melo had the benefit of playing in a more uptempo offense in denver which results in more opportunites to score and more fastbreak points. melo's also played with decent playmakers so he didn't have to shoulder the load of scoring and creating like wade does.

09 wade
30 ppg/49 fg%/57.4 ts%

thats more volume and greater efficiency than melo has ever had. of course, you bring the playoffs into the conversation and the discrepancy becomes even larger. i EXACTLY know what you're saying, just that you're completely off-base.

bizil
04-26-2011, 05:13 PM
their scoring numbers are not similar. raw ppg yes but not efficiency. wade shoots a much higher percent from the field. lets not forget, melo had the benefit of playing in a more uptempo offense in denver which results in more opportunites to score and more fastbreak points. melo's also played with decent playmakers so he didn't have to shoulder the load of scoring and creating like wade does.

09 wade
30 ppg/49 fg%/57.4 ts%

thats more volume and greater efficiency than melo has ever had. of course, you bring the playoffs into the conversation and the discrepancy becomes even larger. i EXACTLY know what you're saying, just that you're completely off-base.

Melo is such a talented scorer that he doesn't have to play in an uptempo system. He can get it anyway u want it in any system. As a matter of fact, D'Antoni wanted Melo to play even MORE uptempo in NY. They said he was getting the ball and holding it too much at times. And Wade has the ball in hands a lot more than Melo does cause he has PG type duties I agree. But he has his destiny in his hands more than Melo due to that also. So the way I look at it Wade could control his own destiny more than Melo. And now Wade has the greatest passing forward of all time in Bron hooking him up.

Wade also had the benefit of playing with Shaq when Shaq was still a top ten player in the L. Which made Wade have less pressure than Melo had early in his career. And Wade for his career shoots 49% overall while Melo shoots 46% for his career. So ya Wade has that edge. But 46% from the field is still very good and not enough to say Wade clearly is a better scorer. Like I said if anything it's a wash until u factor in Melo's skillset when it comes to scoring. That makes up for a 3% difference in field goal shooting. 46% to 49% is not a huge gap at all in my book.

It's not offbase AT ALL to say Melo is a better scorer than Wade. And vice versa. But Melo's versatility in scoring gives him the edge. That's all I'm saying. Anybody who know bball know 46% to 49% is not that big of a gap. There is a reason why most of the experts say the best scorers in the world are Melo, Durant, and Kobe. Cause they have the MOST tools to score. Bron and Wade score just as many points by the numbers. But they don't have as many ways to score as the other three. If u think Wade is a better scorer than cool. But to say I'm offbase to say Melo is the better scorer is INSANE! I guess Barkley, Kenny Smith, and all the other NBA guys are insane like me cause they say the same thing about Melo. But Wade is the better player flat out and that's was the topic of this thread to begin with.

ashbelly
04-26-2011, 05:21 PM
I'll go with wade on this one.

pegasus
04-26-2011, 05:22 PM
LOL

Wade. Not even remotely close.

Melo is extremely over-rated.

Yet you always say he is the most clutch player in the league. You may say that Wade is better, but how could you say that Melo is extremely overrated when you praise him all the time?

Anyway, back to the OP. Give me Melo. Wade is a ref-made superstar. His efficiency drops when he doesn't get his b.s. calls. He's still a very good player, but Melo is better, IMO.

Wade's 1-on-1 defense is overrated, and Melo can defend pretty well when he wants to.

Melo is a better shooter, scorer, and rebounder, and more clutch.

ashbelly
04-26-2011, 05:22 PM
Offense Melo>>Wade
Defense Wade>>>Melo

wut ? :oldlol: :oldlol: Wade trumps over this chucker.

ashbelly
04-26-2011, 05:24 PM
Yet you always say he is the most clutch player in the league. You may say that Wade is better, but how could you say that Melo is extremely overrated when you praise him all the time?

Anyway, back to the OP. Give me Melo. Wade is a ref-made superstar. His efficiency drops when he doesn't get his b.s. calls. He's still a very good player, but Melo is better, IMO.

Wade's 1-on-1 defense is overrated, and Melo can defend pretty well when he wants to.

wut ?? wade trumps over the turnstile :oldlol: pierce just dropped 38pts on his head the other day:oldlol:

LEFT4DEAD
04-26-2011, 05:30 PM

http://i39.tinypic.com/1417el0.gif

bizil
04-26-2011, 05:31 PM
Melo might be the most skilled, but he isn't the most effective, thus not the best. Dude is shooting what, 43% for the season? Laid an egg vs Boston other than that crazy game 2 performance. Kobe, Durant, LeBron, and Wade are better scorers than Melo, IMO. Kobe and Melo are probably the most skilled scorers, though.

Career wise Melo shoots 46% from the field and that's what he shot for the season. Kobe for his career shoots 45% from the field and this season 45%. Durant for this season and career shoots 46%. Bron shot 51% this season and 48% for his career. And Wade shoots 49% for his career and 50% for this season. To me all of these guys have very good to great fg%. Wade and Bron are the two best slashers along with Rose in the L today. So their fg% are gonna be a lil higher. Kobe, Durant, and Melo shoot more jumpers so theirs is gonna be a little lower. But Kobe, Durant, and Melo have more ways to beat u scoring than Wade and Bron. To me that makes up the difference in FG%. So to me it's a matter of taste. But for anybody to be in an uproar that I think Melo is the best scorer in the world is crazy. U can disagree but it's very, very, very logical. The versatility in his scoring and his size gives him an edge in my opinion.

ashbelly
04-26-2011, 05:47 PM
Career wise Melo shoots 46% from the field and that's what he shot for the season. Kobe for his career shoots 45% from the field and this season 45%. Durant for this season and career shoots 46%. Bron shot 51% this season and 48% for his career. And Wade shoots 49% for his career and 50% for this season. To me all of these guys have very good to great fg%. Wade and Bron are the two best slashers along with Rose in the L today. So their fg% are gonna be a lil higher. Kobe, Durant, and Melo shoot more jumpers so theirs is gonna be a little lower. But Kobe, Durant, and Melo have more ways to beat u scoring than Wade and Bron. To me that makes up the difference in FG%. So to me it's a matter of taste. But for anybody to be in an uproar that I think Melo is the best scorer in the world is crazy. U can disagree but it's very, very, very logical. The versatility in his scoring and his size gives him an edge in my opinion.

:oldlol: :oldlol: Jacking up 50 ft shots is what is messing up their efficiency aka taking bad shots instead of getting into the lane. If they were to get into the lane and score more often their efficiencies would be higher. So no, this guys don't have more ways to beat a defense than bron and wade.

Poochymama
04-26-2011, 05:50 PM
wade...easily

KOLBCTEW
04-26-2011, 05:59 PM
Give me Melo. Wade is a ref-made superstar.

:rolleyes: Typical...

His efficiency drops when he doesn't get his b.s. calls. He's still a very good player, but Melo is better, IMO. :ohwell:
Same would any other player if they're getting hacked while attempting to score.. hence why fouls are called in the first place..

:facepalm

scorer I guess that's why Wade averages more points and with a higher efficiency.

EnoughSaid
04-26-2011, 06:00 PM
You need to also consider the situations they have played under. Wade was coached by Pat Riley. Carmelo has played under Karl for his whole career. Wade got to play with a still prime Shaq that finished second in MVP voting and was determined to show Kobe up. Carmelo had to play with a past prime Iverson who still wanted to dominate the ball.

Shaq was prime in 06 and 07? Yeah, 30/14 = 20/10.

EnoughSaid
04-26-2011, 06:01 PM
IMHO, if last year or in 08-09, Wade had Billups, K-Mart, Affalo and Nene on his team, he could've taken them to the Conference Finals every year. Also with Karl coaching, it would be much different that Spoelstra.

Joey3000
04-26-2011, 06:02 PM
I'm a Knicks fan and I love carmelo on the knicks, however I cant sit here and say he is better than wade. Wade so so underrated in these boards that its crazy.

Sarcastic
04-26-2011, 06:03 PM
Shaq was prime in 06 and 07? Yeah, 30/14 = 20/10.

2005 he finished 2nd in MVP voting. That's not prime to you?

KOLBCTEW
04-26-2011, 06:05 PM
2005 he finished 2nd in MVP voting. That's not prime to you?Considering Rose recently won the MVP with his stats... I wouldn't really put much stock into it.

Sarcastic
04-26-2011, 06:08 PM
Considering Rose recently won the MVP with his stats... I wouldn't really put much stock into it.

I don't understand your point. Rose put up great stats this year, and what does that have to do with Shaq?

kaiiu
04-26-2011, 06:08 PM
Melo

97 bulls
04-26-2011, 06:10 PM
I'm a Knicks fan and I love carmelo on the knicks, however I cant sit here and say he is better than wade. Wade so so underrated in these boards that its crazy.
How is he underrated? On these boards, he routinely regareded as top 3. I think he's overrated a bit. I've never seen a guy live of of 2 seasons so much as wades rep. All I ever hear is 09 and 06.

Even in this thread, about 95% pf the responses are for wade

Anyways, wade is better than anthony.

TheCorporation
04-26-2011, 06:15 PM
Wade, easily. Wade is TOP 3-5 in most everyone's lists. Some even top 2. Melo is non existant in TOP 3 lists, and TOP 5. Maybe he cracks TOP 10

KOLBCTEW
04-26-2011, 06:17 PM
I don't understand your point. Rose put up great stats this year, and what does that have to do with Shaq?Stats inferior to any MVP candidate so far. Him being 2nd in MVP voting does nothing to diminish the fact he was out of his prime considering his numbers in his prime were superior.

How is he underrated? On these boards, he routinely regareded as top 3. I think he's overrated a bit. I've never seen a guy live of of 2 seasons so much as wades rep. All I ever hear is 09 and 06.

Even in this thread, about 95% pf the responses are for wade

Anyways, wade is better than anthony. Cause we constantly have threads like this and just recently one comparing him to Pau Gasol.

EnoughSaid
04-26-2011, 06:17 PM
2005 he finished 2nd in MVP voting. That's not prime to you?

MVP doesn't mean somebody's prime. Kobe is probably going to finish in the Top 5 in MVP voting. Does that make it his prime? Your prime is when you are at the highest point in your career performing to your fullest abilities.

Ruutu
04-26-2011, 06:18 PM
Ill take Wade...

FourthTenor
04-26-2011, 06:19 PM
Dwayne Wade, easily.

In my opinion, Carmelo is the NBA's most overrated player.

bizil
04-26-2011, 06:32 PM
:oldlol: :oldlol: Jacking up 50 ft shots is what is messing up their efficiency aka taking bad shots instead of getting into the lane. If they were to get into the lane and score more often their efficiencies would be higher. So no, this guys don't have more ways to beat a defense than bron and wade.

What do u mean? Kobe, Durant, and Melo don't just jack bad shots all the time. From time to time EVERY great player is gonna take a bad shot. And it's easy to see Kobe, Durant, and Melo have more ways to score than Wade and Bron. Kobe, Durant, and Melo are as good as it get in the midrange game. Bron midrange game CANT compete with those three. Wade's midrange game is underrated by many. But it isn't quite on the level of Durant, Kobe,and Melo. And Durant, Kobe,and Melo can also slash to the rack. Those three also have a better post up game than Bron and Wade. And Durant and Kobe can stroke the three ball better than Bron and Wade. What does that mean? It means those guys have more ways to score the ball than Wade and Bron. But Wade and Bron can score just as many points, but not in as many different ways. It's kinda plain to see.

And what make a great slasher unique is the fact they beat defense for slam dunks, layups, or get to the line. Therfore they get closer looks at the rim. Which means it can equate to a great FG%. Why do u think Shaq used to lead the L in FG%. Cause he was UNSTOPPABLE close to the rack. He had great footwork, strength and athletic ability to dominate close to the hoop. Just like perimeter guys like Bron and Wade can break down a defense and get layups and dunks. Which are higher percentage shots than a midrange jumper or three ball. So it isnt the fact Kobe, Melo, and Durant take bad shots. It's the fact that Wade and Bron are the best slashers in the game and play to that strength. Just like Kobe, Durant, and Melo can score anyway u want it and play to that strength.

bizil
04-26-2011, 06:45 PM
Dwayne Wade, easily.

In my opinion, Carmelo is the NBA's most overrated player.

If people are saying Melo is as good Kobe, Wade, and Bron then yes he's overrated. But thing with Melo is he can score the ball as good as anybody and in many different ways. Plus he's clutch and can carry the offensive load. Guys like Melo and Durant may not have the all around game of Bron, Kobe, or Wade. But all around doesn't mean better in all cases. Andre Igoudala is a better defender and passer than Melo. And can score 18 points a night. All around he might stuff the stat sheet in more categories than Melo. But is he a better player? HELL NO!

The only people I'm taking over a Melo or Durant are guys who can score just as good or damn close AND have a complete all around game. Many all around players aren't clutch and can't carry the offensive load if needed. The only stat that guarantees a win in bball is who has the most points. So u can't knock a clutch, alpha dog, scoring maching like Melo just because he's not the all around player other guys might be. Melo is who he is and is great at what he does. But the absolute BEST players of all time to me score like Melo does AND have the complete all around game. There is no way around that. But Melo is still and all time great caliber player in the vein of guys like Nique, Bernard, Dantley, English, and Doc.

PHaYze
04-26-2011, 07:07 PM
If you think Melo > Wade, Bron, Kobe then yeah he's overrated.

If you think Melo < Durant, then you're a dumbass.

Sarcastic
04-26-2011, 08:05 PM
MVP doesn't mean somebody's prime. Kobe is probably going to finish in the Top 5 in MVP voting. Does that make it his prime? Your prime is when you are at the highest point in your career performing to your fullest abilities.

Kobe is in the back end of his prime, but it's still his prime. He played fewer minutes this year, but his per36 numbers are almost as good as some of his best years.

bizil
04-26-2011, 08:13 PM
Kobe is in the back end of his prime, but it's still his prime. He played fewer minutes this year, but his per36 numbers are almost as good as some of his best years.

Great point. Players hit their prime, they peak, then they hit the backend of their primes. Some players flat out lose their skills due to injury, getting lazy, or age. Others per minute are still just as good but they player fewer minutes. Kobe falls into that category. Malone and Stockton were in that category as well. Some guys like Webber or Barkley for example fell to injury and clearly fell out of their prime at ages where other players are historically still All Star caliber and even still in the back end of their prime. Guys like Kemp just got lazy and fell out of their prime. Guys like Penny and GHill never got to really have a normal prime cause they got hurt right at the beginning of a normal prime. Or hell arguably didn't even reach the normal prime years before getting hurt.

FourthTenor
04-26-2011, 08:16 PM
If people are saying Melo is as good Kobe, Wade, and Bron then yes he's overrated. But thing with Melo is he can score the ball as good as anybody and in many different ways. Plus he's clutch and can carry the offensive load. Guys like Melo and Durant may not have the all around game of Bron, Kobe, or Wade. But all around doesn't mean better in all cases. Andre Igoudala is a better defender and passer than Melo. And can score 18 points a night. All around he might stuff the stat sheet in more categories than Melo. But is he a better player? HELL NO!

The only people I'm taking over a Melo or Durant are guys who can score just as good or damn close AND have a complete all around game.

What makes Carmelo better than Iguoadala? Is Kevin Martin better than Iguodala because he's more of a "pure scorer?"

Carmelo is made out to be a superstar because his one skill is that which impresses fans most, i.e. the ability to score the ball. "Chicks dig the long ball" but in actuality, metrics show that scoring is one of the most overrated player attributes when it comes to overall value. People think anyone who scores a lot of points is automatically a great player. Marc Gasol or Zach Randolph are both every bit as good as Carmelo as overall basketball players, if not better, and so are a lot of players around the league. They just don't get endorsed and talked about the same way because their game isn't as exciting. What difference has removing Carmelo made to the Nuggets? None whatsoever. If anything they improved by subtracting him for unselfish role players. So how irreplaceable can he be??

bizil
04-26-2011, 09:08 PM
What makes Carmelo better than Iguoadala? Is Kevin Martin better than Iguodala because he's more of a "pure scorer?"

Carmelo is made out to be a superstar because his one skill is that which impresses fans most, i.e. the ability to score the ball. "Chicks dig the long ball" but in actuality, metrics show that scoring is one of the most overrated player attributes when it comes to overall value. People think anyone who scores a lot of points is automatically a great player. Marc Gasol or Zach Randolph are both every bit as good as Carmelo as overall basketball players, if not better, and so are a lot of players around the league. They just don't get endorsed and talked about the same way because their game isn't as exciting. What difference has removing Carmelo made to the Nuggets? None whatsoever. If anything they improved by subtracting him for unselfish role players. So how irreplaceable can he be??

Carmelo is indeed better than Iguodala. Reason being is because as I said before the only stat in basketball that guarantees a win is points. Whoever has the most of anything else is NOT guaranteed to win the game. Iggy to me is an All Star caliber player no doubt. But he's not a number one option caliber guy. He's not guy offensively that can alter a defense. Great all around players like Lebron, Wade, Kobe, MJ, Big O, Bird, Jerry West, etc. could do that. They are number one option guys who can carry a team. So they I would take over Melo. But not Iggy. Marc Gasol and Zach Randolph are nowhere in Melo's league as a player. Once again both all-star caliber guys but Melo is a superstar. Best all around doesn't mean better player in all cases. And great offense beat great defense that's a known fact. And Melo is a great offensive player. Basketball is a game of impact. Players bring that impact in different ways. And Melo has more IMPACT on a game than Iggy does. The bottom line is winning a game. And the top scoring machines have more of an impact on that than a player like Iggy. Their are too many great all around players historically who also are number one option guys who smoke Iggy:

MJ
Bird
Magic
Bron
Kobe
West
Big O
Prime Penny
Prime Hill
Wade
Havlicek
Barry
T-Mac

All of these guys who very versatile, could do many things, AND takeover the game scoring in the clutch. Iggy isn't on those guys level whatsover.

Papaya Petee
04-26-2011, 09:58 PM
This Carmelo is better offensively then Wade\LeBron shit needs to stop.

I don't give a **** how fancy his scoring is, Wade's playmaking is through the roof better. Also Wade scores more points on better efficiency. I like Wade slashing and driving to the hoop much more then Carmelo's jumpshot after jumpshot.

More ways to score? Awesome! Wade still scores more and efficiently!

DMAVS41
04-26-2011, 10:01 PM

I don't give a **** how fancy his scoring is, Wade's playmaking is through the roof better. Also Wade scores more points on better efficiency. I like Wade slashing and driving to the hoop much more then Carmelo's jumpshot after jumpshot.

Yea. Its not close....especially in the playoffs:

Carmelo - 24.7 ppg on 41/34/82
Wade - 26 ppg on 48/34/80

Wade is also a much better play maker and a significantly better defender.

FourthTenor
04-26-2011, 10:03 PM

This.

The sad thing about Carmelo is if he was less focused on himself, and concentrated on quality of shots rather than quantity, he really could be a devastating offensive player.

What people don't realize is that a lot of the difficult shots Carmelo sometimes makes could just as easily be made by a lesser player with a better look at the basket. So just because he has a disproportionate point total to any other 1 player, it's not like the team couldn't compensate for his scoring as a whole. In fact the Nuggets have done just that, easily.

It's not as if by subtracting Carmelo from a team, you lose all the points he scores. He's selfish and dumb and a one-dimensional shot chucker. The fact that it looks cool the way he scores leads to people thinking he's an amazing talent. Maybe he is, that doesn't mean a whole lot when it comes to being effective in a TEAM game.

He's way overrated.

bizil
04-26-2011, 10:17 PM

As said before, the better player is clearly Wade. But scoring wise they are all about even PPG wise. And Wade's 49 % fg to Melo's 46% fg is not that huge of a gap to fuss about. And yes it does make Melo unique that he can score in more ways than Wade and Bron. Just like it makes MJ, Kobe, and Durant unique. A point or two more a game or a 49% fg to a 46% fg percentage aint enough to definitely say Wade is the better scorer. And Melo does more than shoot jumper after jumper. Melo slashes and post up as well.

They are both equally capable of the same scoring output. But if forme the tiebreaker is versatility in scoring then that's a logical conclusion to come to. Wade also played with Shaq when Shaq was a top ten player in the L. So Wade didnt' have as much pressure as Melo did early in his career. FG% can be overrated at times. Cause if u have less talent on your team you are gonna take forced shots or shoot more than u need to at times. D-Wade also has the ball in his hands more than Melo cause he can do PG type shit. So Wade can pick and choose when he wants to shoot cause the ball is in his hands more. Yall are so in an uproar when MOST of the NBA guys on TV say Melo is the best scorer in the world along with Durant. They say it cause of the versatility in their scoring. Wade is easily capable of scoring just as much. But the tie breaker is the different tools u can use at scoring.

Papaya Petee
04-26-2011, 10:21 PM
As said before, the better player clearly Wade is better. But scoring wise they are all about even PPG wise. And Wade's 49 % fg to Melo's 46% fg is not that huge of a gap to fuss about. And yes it does make Melo unique that he can score in more ways than Wade and Bron. Just like it makes MJ, Kobe, and Durant unique. A point or two more a game or a 49% fg to a 46% fg percentage aint enough to definitely say Wade is the better scorer. And Melo does more than shoot jumper after jumper. Melo slashes and post up as well.

They are both equally capable of the same scoring output. But if forme the tiebreaker is versatility in scoring then that's a logical conclusion to come to. Wade also played with Shaq when Shaq was a top ten player in the L. So Wade didnt' have as much pressure as Melo did early in his career. FG% can be overrated at times. Cause if u have less talent on your team you are gonna take forced shots or shoot more than u need to at times. D-Wade also has the ball in his hands more than Melo cause he can do PG type shit. So Wade can pick and choose when he wants to shoot cause the ball is in his hands more.

So you can basically admit Wade is the better offensive player. Because scoring they are "even" (Wade has the edge) but Wade's playmaking ability separates him from Melo.

Wade had less talent on his team, and he already showed what he can do. 30.2 PPG 7.5 APG on 49%

Yes, and it's actually surprising, Wade is a good 3 point shooter come playoff time.

bizil
04-26-2011, 10:32 PM

Well regular season wise its DAMN CLOSE:

Wade: 25.4 ppg 49% fg

Melo: 24.8 ppg 46% fg

That's not a point difference. And 49% shooting to 46% shooting is not that big of a difference at all. Now playoffs yes I concede Wade has been more impressive. But Melo NEVER played on team as good as Wade's in those early Miami years. Shaq was still a top ten player in the L. Hell that one year they say Shaq should have got MVP over Nash. Melo's Denver teams got to the playoffs, but let's face it a lot those teams weren't capable of going very far. So Melo had to force it sometimes. If u guys think Wade is the better scorer then cool. But it's a close call to me and pretty equal. I lean to Melo though due to the variety he scores with. Just like most NBA analysts do as well when it comes to the scoring aspects. But clearly Wade is the better player. A lot of u on here are making Melo UNDERRATED. U can't deny the man's genius at scoring the ball at a 46% clip. Which is a very good clip for a perimeter player averaging 25 a night for his career.

detroitkid816
04-26-2011, 10:41 PM

look at what lebron did against boston in 08 and 09. look at what kobe did against boston in both finals appearances. not a good barometer to judge superstars. I agree with everything else though. I'm a HUGE carmelo fan and it's not close if you account defense, playmaking, etc. wade>melo

DMAVS41
04-26-2011, 10:48 PM

That's not a point difference. And 49% shooting to 46% shooting is not that big of a difference at all. Now playoffs yes I concede Wade has been more impressive. But Melo NEVER played on team as good as Wade's in those early Miami years. Shaq was still a top ten player in the L. Hell that one year they say Shaq should have got MVP over Nash. Melo's Denver teams got to the playoffs, but let's face it a lot those teams weren't capable of going very far. So Melo had to force it sometimes. If u guys think Wade is the better scorer then cool. But it's a close call to me and pretty equal. I lean to Melo though due to the variety he scores with. Just like most NBA analysts do as well when it comes to the scoring aspects. But clearly Wade is the better player. A lot of u on here are making Melo UNDERRATED. U can't deny the man's genius at scoring the ball at a 46% clip. Which is a very good clip for a perimeter player averaging 25 a night for his career.

Better scorer? Its very close. In fact, even with the efficiency differences I might choose Melo.

Better player overall? Its not close. Melo doesn't do a lot of the things necessary to win. He takes too many bad shots, he doesn't create well for others, and he shows no interest in playing any defense at all.

Hopefully Melo improves in those areas, but up to this point, he doesn't play a style conducive to winning in the playoffs. And it shows in his individual play and team success in the playoffs so far.

Clippersfan86
04-26-2011, 11:23 PM

I agree 100 percent. LOL at all the people saying Melo. It's not even close. One player plays one side of the ball (Melo).. one plays both and is a better leader and teammate (Wade).

Gallant
04-27-2011, 12:27 AM
Wade over Melo any day of the week.

Brickz187
04-27-2011, 12:59 AM

Honestly nothing else needs to be said, great post. :cheers:

Lebron23
04-27-2011, 02:34 AM
Dwayne Wade - He's the better all around player, and a superior defender than Melo.

Melo is the better scorer.

OmniStrife
04-27-2011, 03:22 AM
Put Wade in NYK next to Stat, they don't get swept.
Easy as that.

ThaSwagg3r
04-27-2011, 03:27 AM
Dwyane Wade is arguably the best player in the NBA. Nobody in their right minds would think Carmelo Anthony is in the discussion. That is the difference. Wade is better than Anthony at every aspect except scoring versatility. .

bizil
04-27-2011, 03:29 AM
Dwayne Wade - He's the better all around player, and a superior defender than Melo.

Melo is the better scorer.

My sentiments exactly! Wade is the better player flat out than Melo. All around better than Melo floor game wise and has supreme alpha dog takeover scoring ability. But Melo I lean to scoring wise due to versatility in his scoring. But scoring numbers or ability wise the two are pretty much even and cream of the crop material. Frankly the most deadly scorers in the L are:

Melo
Durant
Wade
Kobe
Bron
Dirk

These guys are the top six to me. Three of them also have the great all around game. And the other three are supreme scorers. No matter how u slice they are the premier scorers in the L in my book. They can put teams on their back and are the toughest to stop. U got other guys who are great scorers though of course.

bizil
04-27-2011, 03:38 AM
Dwyane Wade is arguably the best player in the NBA. Nobody in their right minds would think Carmelo Anthony is in the discussion. That is the difference. Wade is better than Anthony at every aspect except scoring versatility. .

I can dig that! The best players to me are the ones who are great scorers AND have great floor games. Bron, Wade, and Kobe are the guys for that shit. Melo, Durant, and Dirk clearly have the great scoring covered. But Bron, Wade, and Kobe have the all the other aspects covered in spades. Bron can play 1-4. Kobe can play 1-2-3. And Wade can play 1-2 and since he plays bigger than 6'4 can even arguably play the 3. And all three are all league defenders. But I'm taking guys like Melo, Durant, and Dirk after the Wades, Kobes, and Brons. Cause they are still great players who are superstars. It's what made KG and Duncan superior to Dirk. Or what made MJ or Drexler superior to guys like Nique (my favorite player by the way), English, or Bernard. It not necessarily knocking guys like Melo or Nique. Cause I would take a Melo or Nique over MANY guys who have a superior floor game. But not over guys like D-Wade.

moe94
04-27-2011, 03:56 AM
Melo is not a better scorer, though. That myth needs to end.

Player A scores more points on higher efficiency
Player B scores less points on lower efficiency

Player B scores in more ways. He must be the better scorer! That's like saying Duncan was a better scorer than Shaq in '00.

Clippersfan86
04-27-2011, 04:25 AM
My sentiments exactly! Wade is the better player flat out than Melo. All around better than Melo floor game wise and has supreme alpha dog takeover scoring ability. But Melo I lean to scoring wise due to versatility in his scoring. But scoring numbers or ability wise the two are pretty much even and cream of the crop material. Frankly the most deadly scorers in the L are:

Melo
Durant
Wade
Kobe
Bron
Dirk

These guys are the top six to me. Three of them also have the great all around game. And the other three are supreme scorers. No matter how u slice they are the premier scorers in the L in my book. They can put teams on their back and are the toughest to stop. U got other guys who are great scorers though of course.

Most deadly/versatile scorers.. at this point Monta Ellis is number 3 right after Melo and Durant. Not only is he a better volume scorer than the rest of the list but he can score from anywhere.

Clippersfan86
04-27-2011, 04:26 AM

Player B scores in more ways. He must be the better scorer! That's like saying Duncan was a better scorer than Shaq in '00.

Actually Duncan was a better scorer than prime Wilt! You didn't get the memo? :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

bizil
04-27-2011, 04:38 AM

The efficiency is not a big enough gap to make a difference in my book. Melo shoots 46% for his career. Wade shoots 49% for his. That's not a big gap at all. Melo averages 24.8 in his career. Wade averages 25.4. That's less than a point. If Melo passes Wade by in those categories (which could easily happen) u would just switch to Melo? If anything they are equal in my book cause their numbers are close. It's a matter of taste but if I had to pick I would go with Melo scoring wise cause he has more ways to beat u scoring. Yall need to realize I said if I HAD TO PICK. I would rather yall say Wade is the better scorer cause he's a better slasher or cause of his style of play. Cause the PPG argument and FG% argument is too close to call. And Melo could make up that difference. Plus depending on your team, PPG and FG% can be deceiving at times. Pierce averaged 19 points for Boston this year. But he's splitting the pie with KG and Ray. But Pierce is clearly still capable of averaging 24-26 points a night. Ray and KG could also average over 20 PPG still.

Now with Shaq and Tim I would say Shaq is a better scorer. Hell after MJ left the L, I considered Shaq the top scorer in the L. Cause his FG% was off the chart. Plus he was averaging 27-30 points a game many seasons. And the scoring gap between them was bigger. And with big guys the rules are a lil different cause typically many of them score closer to the basket. Tim though was still a great scorer and a more versatile scorer. But if I had to pick, Shaq was the better scorer. But the gap between Tim and Shaq is larger than the gap between Melo and Wade.

moe94
04-27-2011, 04:51 AM
You can't possibly be serious. Scoring nearly 50% for a guard is unheard of these days. Melo plays bigger and still pales in comparison to Wade. 49% and 46% is a very clear seperation. The fact that he scores more as well is hilarious. Don't fool yourself.

Human Error
04-27-2011, 10:21 AM
LOL, really? How is Carmelo a better scorer than Wade when Wade scores more points on less attempts at higher efficiency? Maybe you could say Carmelo is not that far behind and Carmelo may be a more efficient scorer than Iverson, but better than Wade? Come on people, why do you take shots that have less chance of going in when you can put yourself in a position where you can take better shots? Wade is better in putting him in a better position and that is what a better scorer does.

Christofire
04-27-2011, 10:34 AM

i dont think it's fair to compare playoff success between two players from seperat confrences. the west has been more competative than the east for the past decade...stacked from 1-8th seed. the east not so much.

Christofire
04-27-2011, 10:40 AM
LOL, really? How is Carmelo a better scorer than Wade when Wade scores more points on less attempts at higher efficiency? Maybe you could say Carmelo is not that far behind and Carmelo may be a more efficient scorer than Iverson, but better than Wade? Come on people, why do you take shots that have less chance of going in when you can put yourself in a position where you can take better shots? Wade is better in putting him in a better position and that is what a better scorer does.

wade gets most of his points at the rim. Melo shoots lots of Js...naturally his Fg% will be lower than Wades.....Melo imo is th ebest scorer in the NBA, but he's not a better player than the likes of Wade, leBron Kobe. The weakest part of carmelo offensive game is his hand, and his handle is not weak, carmelo has some of the best hesitation dribbles in the league and he has a quick and tight crossover that he uses to get by defenders as well. What stops Carmelo from being mentioned with these guys is not his lack of defense or what have you, it's his consistency in regards to commitment to the defensive end of the floor. When he wants to play defense he plays it and quite well and physically, his desire defensively is just not there as much as Wade and lebron etc.

Melo = best scorer but not best player.

Human Error
04-27-2011, 10:48 AM
wade gets most of his points at the rim. Melo shoots lots of Js...naturally his Fg% will be lower than Wades.....
Basketball, offensively, is all about getting as close as to the rim and putting you in the best possible position for easy shots. Carmelo scores on fancy fadeaway jumpers, good for him and his fans, but there are players who are smart enough to realize that there are better shots in basketball and who can actually take advantage of it by utilizing their skillset in the right way to get closer to the rim. You have to think again, that's what a better scorer does. Carmelo is a high volume scorer who can get hot and score a lot of points when he gets hot but that doesn't make him a better scorer than Wade who scores more points on less attemps at higher efficiency.

JMT
04-27-2011, 11:14 AM
Wade by a country mile.

Thanks. Saved me from reading through pages of idiotic notions that Melo was even close.

He does one thing: score. And even at that, doesn't do anything off the ball. An entire offense has to grind to a halt while he sets up his shot. Guy is the most well rounded scorer in the game, but not by that much.

Wade does everything on the floor and doesn't have to have the ball in his hands to make an impact. He has also shown the ability to do something MElo is allergic to: win.

Not even close.

bizil
04-27-2011, 02:59 PM
i dont think it's fair to compare playoff success between two players from seperat confrences. the west has been more competative than the east for the past decade...stacked from 1-8th seed. the east not so much.

Excellent point and very true!

bizil
04-27-2011, 03:13 PM
wade gets most of his points at the rim. Melo shoots lots of Js...naturally his Fg% will be lower than Wades.....Melo imo is th ebest scorer in the NBA, but he's not a better player than the likes of Wade, leBron Kobe. The weakest part of carmelo offensive game is his hand, and his handle is not weak, carmelo has some of the best hesitation dribbles in the league and he has a quick and tight crossover that he uses to get by defenders as well. What stops Carmelo from being mentioned with these guys is not his lack of defense or what have you, it's his consistency in regards to commitment to the defensive end of the floor. When he wants to play defense he plays it and quite well and physically, his desire defensively is just not there as much as Wade and lebron etc.

Melo = best scorer but not best player.

Great accurate analysis! And it's a MYTH that Melo doesn't slash. And Melo is best post up SF in the L scoring the pill. Those equal high percentage shots. Charles Barkley and Kenny Smith agree with what I'm saying about Melo. So I guess I'm in good company. I'd rather have Kenny and Charles agree with me than yall knockin Melo the way u do! lol

bizil
04-27-2011, 03:26 PM
Basketball, offensively, is all about getting as close as to the rim and putting you in the best possible position for easy shots. Carmelo scores on fancy fadeaway jumpers, good for him and his fans, but there are players who are smart enough to realize that there are better shots in basketball and who can actually take advantage of it by utilizing their skillset in the right way to get closer to the rim. You have to think again, that's what a better scorer does. Carmelo is a high volume scorer who can get hot and score a lot of points when he gets hot but that doesn't make him a better scorer than Wade who scores more points on less attemps at higher efficiency.

Are u guys for real knitpicking like that with this shot attempt bullshit. Now I'm hearing a guy that averages 25 and 49% fg for his career is that much more superior to a guy who averages 24.8 points and 46% fg for his career scoring wise? Wow! LMAO Offense is about putting the ball in the hoop anyway u can. Post ups are high percentage shots. Melo is the premier post up SF in the L. And Melo does slash to the rack. No he isn't like D Wade but Melo is ALSO one of the premier slashing SF in the L as well. Especially from the baseline. And u can get to the rack faster slashing from the baseline.

But get outta here with the scoring numbers cause their numbers are about even. What tilts it for Melo to me is the fact he has more ways to score while putting up very similar numbers to D-Wade. But for all u D-Wade fanboys out there Wade is the superior player period. But scoring wise it's not far fetched to think either is better than the other.

Smoke117
04-27-2011, 03:27 PM
This is a joke, not only is Carmelo less efficient than Wade, but he's played in a system for pretty much his entire career where the pace was so high that he was getting all kinds of easy baskets in transition while Wade played in the slow down Miami offense and was STILL MORE EFFICIENT. Besides that Carmelo has no play making ability, where as Wade has basically had to run the offense for the Heat in years past. Defensively it's not even close as Anthony has never put forth the effort consistently to play any defense...hell Wade is even a better rebounder pound for pound. There is absolutely no case for Carmelo Anthony being a better player than Dwyane Wade.

bizil
04-27-2011, 03:30 PM
This is a joke, not only is Carmelo less efficient than Wade, but he's played in a system for pretty much his entire career where the pace was so high that he was getting all kinds of easy baskets in transition while Wade played in the slow down Miami offense and was STILL more efficient. Besides that Carmelo has no play making ability, where as Wade has basically had to run the offense for the Heat in years past. Defensively it's not even close as Anthony has never put forth the effort consistently to play any defense...hell Wade is even a better rebounder pound for pound. There is absolutely no case for Carmelo Anthony being a better player than Dwyane Wade.

I agree Wade is the better player by far. But Wade shoots 49% from the field. Melo shoots 46% from the field. That's not a big gap at all. And both guys still have long careers ahead of them. Melo could pass D-Wade by possibly in PPG and fg%. So if that happens don't hate on Melo. Give him the title as the better scorer. But it shouldn't even come down to the percentages as much when one shoots 46% and the other 49%.

Qwyjibo
04-27-2011, 03:40 PM
I'm surprised this thread has gone on this long. Isn't the answer obvious? To me, Wade is the 2nd best player in the NBA. Top 3-4 at worst. Carmelo isn't even in that discussion.

Good point but some people still won't understand. They'll still tout Carmelo's versatile mid-range game or whatever despite it not being as overall efficient.

bizil
04-27-2011, 05:06 PM
I'm surprised this thread has gone on this long. Isn't the answer obvious? To me, Wade is the 2nd best player in the NBA. Top 3-4 at worst. Carmelo isn't even in that discussion.

Good point but some people still won't understand. They'll still tout Carmelo's versatile mid-range game or whatever despite it not being as overall efficient.

I understand how D-Wade gets to the rack. But Melo can get to the rack too and Melo posts up. Just like there are positives for a great slasher there are EASILY positives for a COMPLETE offensive arsenal like Melo's. Melo is not Rip Hamilton shooting mainly mid range jumpers. Melo gives u a diet of every facet of scoring.

Heat007
04-27-2011, 05:13 PM
I understand how D-Wade gets to the rack. But Melo can get to the rack too and Melo posts up. Just like there are positives for a great slasher there are EASILY positives for a COMPLETE offensive arsenal like Melo's. Melo is not Rip Hamilton shooting mainly mid range jumpers. Melo gives u a diet of every facet of scoring.

So does Wade.. watch the whole thing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgxZgIXuHtI

And Wade's post-up ability has been compared to Michael Jordan.

bizil
04-27-2011, 05:19 PM

I never said Wade doesn't give u a diet of a lot of shit. It's other posters who who put his slashing above all else. But Melo to me is better at giving u a diet of everything scoring. And D-Wade isn't on MJ's level of posting up AT ALL!

Sarcastic
04-27-2011, 05:21 PM

Compared to, as in shown that it was inferior to?

Human Error
04-27-2011, 10:34 PM
Are u guys for real knitpicking like that with this shot attempt bullshit. Now I'm hearing a guy that averages 25 and 49% fg for his career is that much more superior to a guy who averages 24.8 points and 46% fg for his career scoring wise? Wow! LMAO Offense is about putting the ball in the hoop anyway u can. Post ups are high percentage shots. Melo is the premier post up SF in the L. And Melo does slash to the rack. No he isn't like D Wade but Melo is ALSO one of the premier slashing SF in the L as well. Especially from the baseline. And u can get to the rack faster slashing from the baseline.

But get outta here with the scoring numbers cause their numbers are about even. What tilts it for Melo to me is the fact he has more ways to score while putting up very similar numbers to D-Wade. But for all u D-Wade fanboys out there Wade is the superior player period. But scoring wise it's not far fetched to think either is better than the other.
Plain and simple. If Carmelo is a better scorer than Wade, Carmelo should not be scoring less points on more attempts. Carmelo is a good NBA scorer, I don't deny it, but Carmelo cannot position himself for a greater scoring opportunity like Wade can.

jrong
04-27-2011, 10:41 PM

Wade's post game is very different than MJ. Jordan had that turnaround fadeaway. Wade is more like Mark Jackson. He gets you in the post and backs you down.