PDA

View Full Version : Knicks brass may try to force Mike D'Antoni to bring on a defensive-minded assistant

Clutch
04-29-2011, 08:17 AM
As Donnie Walsh seeks to regain full autonomy within the Knicks organization, Mike D'Antoni could be losing some of his power on the Knicks' bench.

According to several sources, the front office will encourage D'Antoni to revamp his coaching staff to hire a defensive coach. In the past, D'Antoni has been reluctant to seek outside help, most famously refusing Steve Kerr's request four years ago to hire Tom Thibodeau in Phoenix. Thibodeau landed in Boston in 2007, and helped the Celtics win the title three seasons ago. He now is head coach of the top-seeded Bulls.

D'Antoni is under contract through next season and is expected to be retained after leading the Knicks to their first postseason appearance in seven years. However, under D'Antoni the Knicks have been among the league's weaker defensive teams, which is something Walsh would like to change.

Memphis assistant Dave Joerger, Orlando's Steve Clifford, Portland's Bill Bayno and Chicago's Ron Adams are all regarded as top defensive coaches. Another possibility for the Knicks is Thibodeau's replacement in Boston, Lawrence Frank, the former Nets' coach. Frank's contract expires this summer.

A move to hire another assistant does not necessarily mean one of D'Antoni's current assistants will be removed. Phil Weber, Dan D'Antoni, Herb Williams and the highly regarded Ken Atkinson are all expected to be retained. D'Antoni, who is expected to acquiesce to management, has made it clear that he wants to remain in New York. However, there will be several job openings this summer that D'Antoni might find attractive, including one with Golden State, whose roster has players better suited to play D'Antoni's up-tempo system than the Knicks currently do.

Whole article:
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/2011/04/29/2011-04-29_knicks_seeking_more_d.html#ixzz1Kuh6SIpz

http://www.inflexwetrust.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/mike-dantoni.jpg

Bigsmoke
04-29-2011, 08:18 AM
damn just fire Mike

why do they want Lawrence Frank as their assistant when he can just be their head coach?

blablabla
04-29-2011, 08:18 AM
mike brown + mike dantoni

http://www.collegiatemarketinggroupllc.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/pringles.jpg
http://www.couponing101.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/mr-potato-head.jpg

Clutch
04-29-2011, 08:19 AM
damn just fire Mike
I agree with that.
But if they want to keep him then it's better for the team to have a defensive assistant.

The Ownage
04-29-2011, 08:20 AM
Suns had the chance to get thibs? Come on knicks please just fire him

coin24
04-29-2011, 08:32 AM
I hope they do something because i enjoy watching the knicks play, but its just pathetic in the 4th quarter when the other team just scores at will:facepalm

Not sure they could still run there run n gun offence and focus on D though. If anything they need some bigs and just replace Dantoni IMO...
Not sure why anyone is really even that high on him, he hasnt won shit, and his game plan has been proven to lose against all the elite teams:confusedshrug:

Clutch
04-29-2011, 08:33 AM
I hope they do something because i enjoy watching the knicks play, but its just pathetic in the 4th quarter when the other team just scores at will:facepalm

Not sure they could still run there run n gun offence and focus on D though. If anything they need some bigs and just replace Dantoni IMO...
Not sure why anyone is really even that high on him, he hasnt won shit, and his game plan has been proven to lose against all the elite teams:confusedshrug:
We don't play run and gun anymore.
Now it's more of a halfcourt offense.
I agree it's very frustrating to see teams like Cavaliers,Bucks,Pacers dropping 110-120 points on you :facepalm

Apocalyptic0n3
04-29-2011, 08:38 AM
I doubt Lawrence Frank goes anywhere unless it is for a head coaching spot. He was hired as the de facto next-in-line in Boston. Why give that up?

Clutch
04-29-2011, 08:40 AM
I doubt Lawrence Frank goes anywhere unless it is for a head coaching spot. He was hired as the de facto next-in-line in Boston. Why give that up?
He is from New York :confusedshrug:

And I wouldn't mind to see him as a coach instead of D'Antoni.

ballerz
04-29-2011, 08:45 AM
Don't see Lawrence Frank leaving Boston unless it is for a head coaching job.

bluechox2
04-29-2011, 08:55 AM
bring back larry brown

iDunk
04-29-2011, 09:00 AM
I'm fine with bringing in a defensive coach more than just firing D'Antoni and hiring a new coach. Firing D'Antoni and hiring some other coach would just mean a new system for the team to get acquainted to and it would probably take time if there is no training camp this year. If we could get a good defensive coach, mixed with D'Antoni's offense the Knicks could bring a mix of great offense and good defense and really be dangerous next year.

Anyways, I nominate Mike Brown.

OmniStrife
04-29-2011, 09:05 AM
If he stays for another year, NYK should say goodbye to dreams of contending...

niko
04-29-2011, 09:07 AM

No, the nets players had no respect for him. Great X's and O's guys but the Nets played at times like there were zero repercussions for losing.

Clutch
04-29-2011, 09:10 AM
No, the nets players had no respect for him. Great X's and O's guys but the Nets played at times like there were zero repercussions for losing.
I think you have just described D'Antoni :lol

DJ Leon Smith
04-29-2011, 09:14 AM
Anyways, I nominate Mike Brown.

I always wondered why the Knicks didn't go after him, the Cavs were always a great defensive unit.

Knowing James Dolan though he'd put D'Antoni in charge of D and have Brown focusing on offensive sets.

Clutch
04-29-2011, 09:15 AM
I always wondered why the Knicks didn't go after him, the Cavs were always a great defensive unit.

Knowing James Dolan though he'd put D'Antoni in charge of D and have Brown focusing on offensive sets.
:lol

niko
04-29-2011, 09:16 AM
I think you have just described D'Antoni :lol
No, he's total opposite of Frank. D'Antoni's players play for him hard. Remember when Amare and Diaw got suspended? The role players busted ass to win that game. He's just not prepared. I used to think he didn't stress defense enough but that isn't it - he's not able to make pre game and in game adjustments that other coaches do. He's very slow to react. The Knicks play hard but have no good core philosophy on defense. Effort doesn't work when every mistake leads to a hoop because there is no help strategy.

Lawrence Frank is the opposite. He makes fantastic adjustments, specifically pre game. I think you can argue pre game he makes better game plans than most coaches. but the Nets played for him like he was not even there. They'd suck, he'd be yelling at them and they'd walk by him like "Dude, please don't think i care". It was like he was not even there. I think in Boston he might be fine because he's working now for Rivers, the players already know him, and they are a very veteran bunch already set in their ways. A new team? Star heavy? I don't like it.

Keep D'Antoni, bring in a good assistant. Then in a year go talk to Doc Rivers unless things are 100% better. THAT makes sense to me.

Rake2204
04-29-2011, 09:19 AM
http://www.nflpassers.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Lawrence_Taylor.jpg

It's time.

OriginalNameGuy
04-29-2011, 09:21 AM
Why can't they just get rid of Pringles??

Apocalyptic0n3
04-29-2011, 09:39 AM

I thought the consensus was always that Keuster was the mastermind behind their defense?

bagelred
04-29-2011, 09:41 AM
And so the filling of 5 months of offseason news with made up rumors and speculation, by the New York Post and New York Daily News, begins.

I better run and get that paper right away. Tell me more, Isola!

Clutch
04-29-2011, 10:31 AM
No, he's total opposite of Frank. D'Antoni's players play for him hard. Remember when Amare and Diaw got suspended? The role players busted ass to win that game. He's just not prepared. I used to think he didn't stress defense enough but that isn't it - he's not able to make pre game and in game adjustments that other coaches do. He's very slow to react. The Knicks play hard but have no good core philosophy on defense. Effort doesn't work when every mistake leads to a hoop because there is no help strategy.

Lawrence Frank is the opposite. He makes fantastic adjustments, specifically pre game. I think you can argue pre game he makes better game plans than most coaches. but the Nets played for him like he was not even there. They'd suck, he'd be yelling at them and they'd walk by him like "Dude, please don't think i care". It was like he was not even there. I think in Boston he might be fine because he's working now for Rivers, the players already know him, and they are a very veteran bunch already set in their ways. A new team? Star heavy? I don't like it.

Keep D'Antoni, bring in a good assistant. Then in a year go talk to Doc Rivers unless things are 100% better. THAT makes sense to me.
Did you watch the Knicks this season ?
In many games they have played like they don't care.
I remember them playing hard only against tough opponents like the Celtics,Heat or something like that.When shitty teams come to town they often show no hustle,no will,no energy.

I would give a shot to D'Antoni with a good defensive assistant for next season.
But if we continue to fail against smaller teams and play good but without result against good teams then he needs to go.

ProfessorMurder
04-29-2011, 10:35 AM
Fire D'antoni, hire Adelman.

Blue&Orange
04-29-2011, 11:08 AM
I don't understand the concept of Knicks "trying" to bring a defensive-minded assistant. D'Antoni is just a employee, all the Knicks have to do is hire one and tell D'Antoni to use him.

bagelred
04-29-2011, 11:11 AM
I don't understand the concept of Knicks "trying" to bring a defensive-minded assistant. D'Antoni is just a employee, all the Knicks have to do is hire one and tell D'Antoni to use him.

And what if D'Antoni says no?

niko
04-29-2011, 11:31 AM
Walsh probably won't give him the extra year to take away his lame duck status, and he'll have another strike against him for when they finally get to the decision of whether to fire him or not. Considering how much he gets paid in NY i'd think he wouldn't want out to go somewhere else.

Clutch
04-29-2011, 11:38 AM
Walsh probably won't give him the extra year to take away his lame duck status, and he'll have another strike against him for when they finally get to the decision of whether to fire him or not. Considering how much he gets paid in NY i'd think he wouldn't want out to go somewhere else.
I think he would still get his money even if he gets fired.

Also I think even D'Antoni knows he won't be here after next season.
Nothing is 100% sure but I'm pretty confident he won't be here in 2012-2013 season.

bagelred
04-29-2011, 11:46 AM

Yeah, I was just making a point. You really don't want to force an assistant coach down the head coach's throat. D'antoni is not just an "employee". He's not an office clerk. He's your $5 million a year Head Coach.

I believe MDA will be here one more year. No extension. But I'm not convinced he will definitely be gone after that.

Durantula35
04-29-2011, 11:48 AM
mike brown + mike dantoni

http://www.collegiatemarketinggroupllc.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/pringles.jpg
http://www.couponing101.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/mr-potato-head.jpg

:roll:

That would be a good combo though.

niko
04-29-2011, 11:50 AM
Yeah, I was just making a point. You really don't want to force an assistant coach down the head coach's throat. D'antoni is not just an "employee". He's not an office clerk. He's your $5 million a year Head Coach.

I believe MDA will be here one more year. No extension. But I'm not convinced he will definitely be gone after that.
It's a suggestion, one MDA would be wise to take. If it were something ridiculous like "i'm hiring a second coach to be your co-coach and approve your moves" it's one thing. But he is being asked (if this is true) to get an assistant to help him in an area he does not excel. That's reasonable, and if MDA declines it shows me he is more worried about hsi system than improvement. This is not about his ego, this is about our team and their success and if he cannot push his ego down to accomplish this than he can go **** himself.

Scoooter
04-29-2011, 12:04 PM
damn just fire Mike

why do they want Lawrence Frank as their assistant when he can just be their head coach?
0-18 or whatever horrible thing he did the last time he was a head coach.

Scoooter
04-29-2011, 12:08 PM

Ditto Rick Adelman and Jerry Sloan and other career losers.

Crown&Coke
04-29-2011, 12:10 PM
You can hire the greatest defensive mind the world has ever seen but if D'antoni doesn't give them practice time to practice defense what good does that do?

STAT said himself while in Phx that they didn't even touch defense in practice, the entire time they worked on offense. Which makes me :rolleyes: when I hear D'antoni in press conferences saying they need to play better on defense. HOW MIKE? You don't have a defense except "don't let the guy score" mantra you tell your guys you idiot.

D'antoni is a gonner imo. He was only hired to lure free agnts to NY due to his great offensive mind and ability to hide players weaknesses, we all saw how that went... you get STAT who not many teams really went hard at because NY was knocking on his door with a 100mil at 12:01. Then you got..... Anthony Randolph, Buke and Ronny Turiaf, wow, such a great haul

MeLO MvP 15
04-29-2011, 12:11 PM
Great idea, but didn't Phoenix ask him to do the same thing and he re-signed lol...

I think he's smart enough to realize he's not a defensive coach and needs one to win playoff games.

Mike Brown and Lawrence Franks are two recent coaches who could be great additions, but would they leave their respective jobs (ESPN analyst and Celtics assistant/potential college coach) to be a guy who will have to teach all the defense on a team. Honestly, I think it depends on the person. If you want to coach basketball but don't want the pressure of being head coach, then assistant is perfect.

KevinNYC
04-29-2011, 12:45 PM

That would be a good combo though.

Actually wouldn't Mr. Potato Head live in fear of the Pringles Man. The man who lives to cut him up, fry him and eat him.

bagelred
04-29-2011, 12:59 PM
Actually wouldn't Mr. Potato Head live in fear of the Pringles Man. The man who lives to cut him up, fry him and eat him.

Nice.

clayton
04-29-2011, 01:06 PM
D'Antoni for offense, Mike Brown for defense. :eek:

Blue&Orange
04-29-2011, 01:41 PM
Saying no to your boss, i wonder what happens :rolleyes:

Earning $5 millions while working for someone that have the money Dolan have, makes you just that, a clerk. I really don't understand how D’Antoni have any saying in the Knicks hiring or not anybody. He is the coach that's it.

I guessed everyone forgot about Larry Brown already. D’Antoni saying no would only means Knicks saving money.

Same thing with Carmelo thinking he have any saying in bringing players in, maybe he should have taken less money so the knicks had more money to bring in players.

Faberg
04-29-2011, 01:50 PM
:applause:

NewYorkNoPicks
04-29-2011, 01:57 PM

Listen, Frank is a pretty good coach.... but our coaching needs fall in a very specific niche:

We need a coach who is still offensive dominant, but still places a strong emphasis on defense.... think a 65/35 or 60/40 ratio. THEN the most important characteristic our coach must have is a STRONG PRESENCE. We have 2 dominant alpha male superstars on our team, they're not going to just listen to anyone.

No offense to Frank but he doesn't really exude strength or command respect from his physical characteristics. Sounds shallow but it's legit. We need a guy who has either won before, or is a former player they can relate to.

ICanDunk
04-29-2011, 02:01 PM
What they really need is an expert blackmailer to convince Melo and Stat to play the defense they are capable of playing.

In that Celtics series it looked like everytime a wing player scored it was the guy Melo was guarding, whether it was his assignment or someone he was supposed to switch to on a screen.

2LeTTeRS
04-29-2011, 02:10 PM

The impression I got from reading that is D'Antoni must have been given final say in determining who will be on his coaching staff when he was hired. I could be wrong though.

bagelred
04-29-2011, 02:13 PM
Saying no to your boss, i wonder what happens :rolleyes:

What would happen?

ICanDunk
04-29-2011, 02:15 PM
The impression I got from reading that is D'Antoni must have been given final say in determining who will be on his coaching staff when he was hired. I could be wrong though.
That would make the most sense because if they try to give him someone he didn't have a say on it's very possible that he could shut that person out/ not use him at all.

PowerGlove
04-29-2011, 02:29 PM
http://www.nflpassers.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Lawrence_Taylor.jpg

It's time.

PP34Deuce
04-29-2011, 03:00 PM
Lawrence Franks issues in NJ in the latter were a team that quit on him,injuries, and also He was young. For NBA head coach Frank was like 33-34 years old.

The guy is short and looks like a lil kid with receding hairline,but hemakes great adjustments and is perfect for a respected intimidating coach(Rivers)

People forget Doc got fired when Orlando made that crappy run of losing games.

wally_world
04-29-2011, 03:12 PM
Lets get the Mike Brown'toni era started :rockon:

D.J.
04-29-2011, 03:16 PM
The Knicks had their first winning season in 10 years. D'Antoni isn't going anywhere. A defensive assistant coach will help a lot. No need to fire D'Antoni, at least not now.

Rekindled
04-29-2011, 05:00 PM
The Knicks had their first winning season in 10 years. D'Antoni isn't going anywhere. A defensive assistant coach will help a lot. No need to fire D'Antoni, at least not now.

except we all know Dantoni will not accept a defensive assistant just like he didnt in phx

Real Men Wear Green
04-29-2011, 05:12 PM
If he won't accept a defensive assistant I don't see what's to keep them from firing him. It's not like he's done an amazing job and is irreplaceable. Team could be better off if they hired away a guy like Lawrence Frank from the Cs as his replacement.

But I will agree with those that say if D'Antoni is replaced the new coach needs to be not only a better defensive coach but also a big personality that can deal with egos, because getting the most out of the Knicks may well involve forcing Melo to change his attitude towards defense as well as sharing the basketball. I remember when Doc Rivers came here, he had to bench Pierce to get him playing the way he wanted. Will the new coach have the guts to bench Anthony if/when he doesn't conform, and will management back that coach up?

Sarcastic
04-29-2011, 05:12 PM
Say he comes back next year, and the Knicks win 55 games. Now they have to resign him, and that would basically be the nail in the coffin of their title hopes.

Sarcastic
04-29-2011, 05:20 PM

What would your boss do to you if you said no to him?

bagelred
04-29-2011, 05:23 PM
What would your boss do to you if you said no to him?

So finish it out. If D'Antoni refuses to take a defensive coach, then what?

Clutch
04-29-2011, 05:27 PM
Then his boss will reward him.It takes a lot of courage to stand against your boss.

Boss will surely appreciate that.

Sarcastic
04-29-2011, 05:28 PM

Oh gee, lemme think wut happenz when i sey no to me boss.

http://blogs.seattleweekly.com/dailyweekly/donald%20trump%20you%27re%20fired.jpg

Clutch
04-29-2011, 05:31 PM
Oh gee, lemme think wut happenz when i sey no to me boss.

http://blogs.seattleweekly.com/dailyweekly/donald%20trump%20you%27re%20fired.jpg
You mean this ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wz7zo1BvvA4

LoveIsMyMessage
04-29-2011, 07:33 PM
Seriously I'm not a guy to wish for somebody to get fired, but by know with Mr. Pringles being a coach in the league for years, Team owners have to know this guy will get u nowhere. He brings the Golden State Warriors and Suns mentalility to the playoffs. By now u know he does'nt want to change so find a replacement. U can keep adding good players to the Knicks all u want but with Mr. Pringles coaching they are going to play like the Globetrotters.

knickscity
04-29-2011, 07:52 PM
If he won't accept a defensive assistant I don't see what's to keep them from firing him. It's not like he's done an amazing job and is irreplaceable. Team could be better off if they hired away a guy like Lawrence Frank from the Cs as his replacement.

But I will agree with those that say if D'Antoni is replaced the new coach needs to be not only a better defensive coach but also a big personality that can deal with egos, because getting the most out of the Knicks may well involve forcing Melo to change his attitude towards defense as well as sharing the basketball. I remember when Doc Rivers came here, he had to bench Pierce to get him playing the way he wanted. Will the new coach have the guts to bench Anthony if/when he doesn't conform, and will management back that coach up?

I agree with your post, but did Doc bench Pierce during the losing season before KG and Ray got there?

Real Men Wear Green
04-29-2011, 07:57 PM
I agree with your post, but did Doc bench Pierce during the losing season before KG and Ray got there?
No. If my memory serves me correctly he was yanked during a game in Rivers' first year as coach. Pierce and Rivers were fine after the first season together.

Blue&Orange
04-29-2011, 08:26 PM
Knicks have a 0.1% chance of doing something relevant with him, so why waste another year? Why not take a chance in someone else?
D'Antoni saying no to a defensive coach and Knicks keeping him will be jaw-dropping.