PDA

View Full Version : Lakers Next Head Coach: Mike Brown

lakersNUMBA1
04-30-2011, 04:13 PM
Brian Shaw? Kurt Rambis?

Brian Shaw was given permission by the Lakers to talk to the Houston Rockets for the Head Coaching job.

What do you think happens next? Do you think he will stay with the Lakers after Phil Jackson leaves? What about Kurt Rambis? He knows the Lakers just as much as all the other coaches on the Lakers now.

Who would you guys like to see be the next Head Coach?
I prefer Brian Shaw!

DKLaker
04-30-2011, 07:24 PM
Looks like it's Rick Adelman....which is why Shaw was allowed to interview at Houston. I'd take Adelman over Shaw........Rambis cannot coach.....sorry.

lakerfreak
04-30-2011, 07:26 PM
Looks like it's Rick Adelman....which is why Shaw was allowed to interview at Houston. I'd take Adelman over Shaw........Rambis cannot coach.....sorry.

Honestly, Adelman's princeton offense requires good jump shooters, and smart players. We have SOME smart players. We do NOT have jump shooters, and I dont know how his system helps our two big men in Bynum and Pau. I dont like this move if it happens.

B
04-30-2011, 09:40 PM
Shaw will be the next head coach. They gave the same permission for him to speak to the Cavs. The Lakers always give permission for their coaches to talk to other teams.

LA.MJ&KB#1
04-30-2011, 10:55 PM
I personally is ready to see Phil leave and the traingle. I stated all alone I would prefer Bryon Scott yes, I know he's with the cavs now.

Plus, we need a PG for next year. DF I have much respect for but it's time to bring him off the bench.

ihatetimthomas
05-01-2011, 02:26 AM
I think the Lakers are letting him talk, but in the end, they will sign him as head coach. This squad has played the triangle for years. This core will still be around for next year, why throw in Adelman when his whole offensive schemes will be different? I dont think the Lakers need a year of adapting to a new offense and system. Keep Shaw for now and keep the triangle in place

lakerfreak
05-01-2011, 04:09 AM
I think the Lakers are letting him talk, but in the end, they will sign him as head coach. This squad has played the triangle for years. This core will still be around for next year, why throw in Adelman when his whole offensive schemes will be different? I dont think the Lakers need a year of adapting to a new offense and system. Keep Shaw for now and keep the triangle in place

Insidehoops needs to have a "like" feature like facebook does because this post says everything.

L.A. Jazz
05-01-2011, 10:08 AM
i prefer Adelman. of course a new system requires some new players and some learnung for the old players. But the Lakers should adjust and make some roster changes, but Phils "end" is the perfect time for it.

lakersNUMBA1
05-02-2011, 12:37 AM
Insidehoops needs to have a "like" feature like facebook does because this post says everything.

couldnt agree any more. i personally do believe he will leave, but i couldnt see the triangle going anywhere with this laker team as long as kobe is on it. :D

BTW OSAMA BIN LADEN IS DEAD! TIME FOR LAKERS vs MAVERICKS TOMORROW TONIGHT!

DKLaker
05-02-2011, 05:33 PM
I don't see a chance in hell that Shaw will be able to control these guys nor get them to take the regular season the least bit seriously......if you think this regular season was bad......

Adelman is not glued to the Princeton offense at all, he'll run what's going to work best with the players he has. Offenses, other than the triangle are easy to learn....and most players have experience with most offenses.
My AAU players have been taught several different offenses and defenses and can switch flawlesly immediately during games to take advantage of what the opponent is doing.

Adelman has given us a very tough time without the Lakers talent level......he is far more qualified than Shaw. With our Championship level team we need a proven coach. Shaw is a complete gamble.

tamaraw08
05-03-2011, 12:50 AM
I don't see a chance in hell that Shaw will be able to control these guys nor get them to take the regular season the least bit seriously......if you think this regular season was bad......

Adelman is not glued to the Princeton offense at all, he'll run what's going to work best with the players he has. Offenses, other than the triangle are easy to learn....and most players have experience with most offenses.
My AAU players have been taught several different offenses and defenses and can switch flawlesly immediately during games to take advantage of what the opponent is doing.

Adelman has given us a very tough time without the Lakers talent level......he is far more qualified than Shaw. With our Championship level team we need a proven coach. Shaw is a complete gamble.

Im sorry but Im biased against rookie coaches esp with regards to handling a high profile team like the Lakers. There's just too much risk, why take a chance on somebody who hasn't been there in the trenches esp when you have great pieces to win the championship for the next 4 yrs?:confusedshrug:
I really like Adelman, everywhere he went, his team is always there, competing, disciplined, very organized, even their stars are injured like Yao, TMac etc. When he coached Portland, his team continued to win inspite of losing key players. Did good at Golden State and really well in Sacramento.
Btw, I was in a heated discusssion with a smart/opinionated poster back in the Del Harris days in the aol lakers message board. He truly believed that Rick is one of the worst coaches ever. :banghead:

tamaraw08
05-03-2011, 01:01 AM
Brian Shaw? Kurt Rambis?

What do you think happens next? Do you think he will stay with the Lakers after Phil Jackson leaves? What about Kurt Rambis? He knows the Lakers just as much as all the other coaches on the Lakers now.

Who would you guys like to see be the next Head Coach?
I prefer Brian Shaw!

I like a PROVEN coach. I know Dr Buss picked somebody like Rudy T who won 2 rings before, but that dude didn't really proved he can coach when he doesn't have Olajuwon.
I also like Adelman. Jeff Van Gundy was good in BOTH NY and Houston.
I think it was Jim Rome who guessed about 6 weeks ago that Coach K might consider jumping and coaching the Lakers bec he is tired to dealing with one and done players like Irving. Another reason is, he is losing his proven seniors. Lastly, he has nothing to prove. He won so much, there's no more challenge. I lot of it will hinge on Kobe. I heard Kobe is really close to Shaw but my gut tells me Buss would want a veteran tactician.

B
05-03-2011, 01:44 AM
Jackson is the only Big name time proven winning coach the Lakers have ever hired.

Riley rookie coach
Dunleavy rookie coach
Pfund rookie coach
Harris .500 coach
Jackson
Tomjanovich 10 years removed from his title teams a .500 coach since
Jackson
Buss has always gambled on his coaches. He's not hiring Adleman and his archaic views of the game.

He'll hire Shaw because it's what the team wants. And Buss is loyal to those that are loyal to him. Shaw has the respect of the players and that's 90% of the battle. Adleman has lost every team he's ever coached.

DKLaker
05-03-2011, 02:54 AM
[QUOTE=B

lakersNUMBA1
05-03-2011, 04:06 PM
I think you're completely missing the point........they now realize how important a coach is and will not waste time on hit or miss rookie coaches like their past failures....which also includes Rambis.

IMO this team would fail under Shaw....he's not ready for this.

were going to lose next year anyways, the lakers only when in 3's

DKLaker
05-08-2011, 01:14 PM
were going to lose next year anyways, the lakers only when in 3's

:facepalm :facepalm :facepalm
The Lakers have won 3 straight titles only once :banghead:

This year is why we need a tougher coach moving forward....no more coddling and babysitting. These guys need to be accountable on a daily basis.
We also need a competent assistant coaching staff.......when you bring in Chuck Person to be your defensive guru........knowing that Chuck never played a bit of defense in his career.......what outcome should you expect, Disaster......RIGHT????
It's like bringing in D'Antoni to run the defense :banghead:

This was an ugly awful season I'd like to forget.

Lakers_Kobe_Fan
05-08-2011, 02:48 PM
:facepalm :facepalm :facepalm
The Lakers have won 3 straight titles only once :banghead:

This year is why we need a tougher coach moving forward....no more coddling and babysitting. These guys need to be accountable on a daily basis.
We also need a competent assistant coaching staff.......when you bring in Chuck Person to be your defensive guru........knowing that Chuck never played a bit of defense in his career.......what outcome should you expect, Disaster......RIGHT????
It's like bringing in D'Antoni to run the defense :banghead:

This was an ugly awful season I'd like to forget.

and all these mutha fcuka's who are trying to make a name doing REALITY TV OR RAP ALBUM should be traded

I do NOT want Brian Shaw as the lakers next coach....its FCUKING LAKERS coaching job...should go to Adleman, Sloan or Brown

Shaw can go run a team like kings or whoever

LA KB24
05-09-2011, 02:10 PM
I don't want to see them run the triangle anymore. I'm hoping we pick up a quick PG and use more modern offensive sets.

Kensta
05-09-2011, 03:08 PM
I don't want to see them run the triangle anymore. I'm hoping we pick up a quick PG and use more modern offensive sets.

This.

I hate the triangle. It's slow and so easy to guard. We need a new coach that won't run the triangle.

bleedinpurpleTwo
05-09-2011, 10:42 PM
Adelman is a great coach.

SoCalMike
05-09-2011, 10:53 PM
Adelman is a great coach.

He is, but can he take them to a title level?

Also, I have a feeling that the Orlando Magic are going to be shopping for a new coach soon... just a gut feeling.

:pimp:

tamaraw08
05-09-2011, 11:18 PM

Also, I have a feeling that the Orlando Magic are going to be shopping for a new coach soon... just a gut feeling.

I don't know if somebody else could have done a better job than Stan Van Gundy with what he had. From Vince Carter to Gilbert Arenas. Then you have guys who normally deliver but struggled like Hedo, JRich, Redick etc. They also have a freaking Ryan Anderson and an undersized Bass as PFs. They would be foolish to let him go and besides, if the Lakers like him, why would he prefer Orlando over LA?

SoCalMike
05-09-2011, 11:24 PM
I don't know if somebody else could have done a better job than Stan Van Gundy with what he had. From Vince Carter to Gilbert Arenas. Then you have guys who normally deliver but struggled like Hedo, JRich, Redick etc. They also have a freaking Ryan Anderson and an undersized Bass as PFs. They would be foolish to let him go and besides, if the Lakers like him, why would he prefer Orlando over LA?

well, i have never liked stan van gundy's coaching, but i agree... if i were adelman, i would go with the lakers over any organization... so i agree with you on that. i just don't know what adelman wants....

bleedinpurpleTwo
05-10-2011, 12:05 AM

can BRIAN SHAW??

SoCalMike
05-10-2011, 12:19 AM
can BRIAN SHAW??

no.....

lakersNUMBA1
05-10-2011, 01:35 AM
better yet.. i change my mind about brian shaw.

maybe DKLAKER or SOCALMIKE can be the coach?

bladefd
05-10-2011, 01:51 PM
well, i have never liked stan van gundy's coaching, but i agree... if i were adelman, i would go with the lakers over any organization... so i agree with you on that. i just don't know what adelman wants....

Idk, Adelman may still hold a grudge. Didn't Phil equate Adelman to Hitler or something back during the Portland/Lakers series? I remember Adelman was angry at the Lakers organization for condoning it. :lol

LA.MJ&KB#1
05-10-2011, 04:37 PM
I don't think Brain Shaw is ready for this laker squad.

DKLAKER would do better :D

lakerfreak
05-10-2011, 05:40 PM
no.....

Curious, what makes you think he wouldn't?

SoCalMike
05-10-2011, 07:19 PM
better yet.. i change my mind about brian shaw.

maybe DKLAKER or SOCALMIKE can be the coach?

Neither of us are capable of coaching an NBA team... lol :P

SoCalMike
05-10-2011, 07:22 PM
Curious, what makes you think he wouldn't?
1) i don't think he's capable (yet) of handling the complex personalities and garnering respect. yes, i know players say they support him, but that's not the same.

2) i dont think he has the experience (yet).

3) i am not convinced he has the patience (yet).

the reason i offer those thoughts is because everyone will expect shaw to bring a title to this team right out of the chute, which is unfair but realistic... thats a lot of pressure on a first year head coach. i don't think he can do it.

do i think he could develop into a great coach? sure, i do... but time is not on his side with the lakers.

TrueGreenFan
05-10-2011, 08:27 PM
Stop deleting my posts you ****. Like I said Kobe wants Shaw as coach. What Kobe says goes in LA. You guys should hire Jeff Van Gundy/Mark Jax.

SoCalMike
05-10-2011, 08:51 PM
Stop deleting my posts you ****. Like I said Kobe wants Shaw as coach. What Kobe says goes in LA. You guys should hire Jeff Van Gundy/Mark Jax.

If you make digs about Laker players or the Laker organizations, whether they are direct or subtle, the mods will delete your posts. Nobody here wants trolls... you are more than welcome to participate, just cut the crap... and you know what I am talking about.

If you don't like it, please post elsewhere.

kobesabi
05-10-2011, 08:53 PM
How about coach K? Is he good match for the Lakers?

SoCalMike
05-10-2011, 08:56 PM
How about coach K? Is he good match for the Lakers?

I thought he emphatically said no to coaching in the NBA? I'd take him!

kobesabi
05-10-2011, 08:57 PM
Yea, I'm not sure Shaw can handle Kobe demand. If we somehow acquire 2 more superstars to forge a Big 3. I'm not sure Shaw is ready for it as his first attempt.

i just don't know what adelman wants....
Jeanie Buss's sister.

j/k he wants the ring. Not sure if he can serve the Lakers since he got defeated by the Lakers. Not sure if he is still bitter about it.

kobesabi
05-10-2011, 09:00 PM
People change...their thoughts change over time...maybe he change for us? Lakers has fame, prestige, and glory. I think he might consider if the superstar players are there. ESPN were talking about it today on Max and Marcellus show...maybe if we talked and drum up more about it...he'll answer his response in some form of interview later.

ihatetimthomas
05-10-2011, 09:06 PM
People change...their thoughts change over time...maybe he change for us? Lakers has fame, prestige, and glory. I think he might consider if the superstar players are there. ESPN were talking about it today on Max and Marcellus show...maybe if we talked and drum up more about it...he'll answer his response in some form of interview later.

He has a GREAT thing going at Duke. A lot less stress, and he basically runs that athletic program. I see no reason for him to jump to LA. He gets his dose of NBA players in the olympics anyways.

kobesabi
05-10-2011, 09:21 PM
He has a GREAT thing going at Duke. A lot less stress, and he basically runs that athletic program. I see no reason for him to jump to LA. He gets his dose of NBA players in the olympics anyways.
It's just a try...who knows maybe he will...we'll never know until we try :)

lakerfreak
05-10-2011, 10:41 PM
1) i don't think he's capable (yet) of handling the complex personalities and garnering respect. yes, i know players say they support him, but that's not the same.

2) i dont think he has the experience (yet).

3) i am not convinced he has the patience (yet).

the reason i offer those thoughts is because everyone will expect shaw to bring a title to this team right out of the chute, which is unfair but realistic... thats a lot of pressure on a first year head coach. i don't think he can do it.

do i think he could develop into a great coach? sure, i do... but time is not on his side with the lakers.

What else is there though? Adelman? I don't like what Adelman would bring unless he completely changed the makeover of the team with a bunch of outside shooters. I don't think we will be able to accommodate the needs of Adelman as a coach.

Any other coaches you have in mind?

SoCalMike
05-10-2011, 10:56 PM
What else is there though? Adelman? I don't like what Adelman would bring unless he completely changed the makeover of the team with a bunch of outside shooters. I don't think we will be able to accommodate the needs of Adelman as a coach.

Doc Rivers... he's said his gig with the Celtics is going to be done this year, so perhaps they can coax him to come to the Lakers.. he's strong enough to deal with the personalities and bring the best out of players. Perhaps a pipe dream.

bladefd
05-10-2011, 11:36 PM

Honestly, Coach K should try the NBA just once. He is getting old.. He doesn't have very long to coach the NBA, even if it is for a 3yr stretch. Remember, he is only a couple years younger than Phil. This is his last, best and perhaps only shot of coaching the NBA.

If I were him, I would do it EVEN if it is for a 3 year stretch with the Lakers. He can always go back after his contract is up with the Lakers in 3 years. Nothing says he has to stick around longer; he can be like Larry Brown. The team is already in place, might do 1 move during the off-season for somebody like Dwight. Rest of the team will be in place with the chemistry.

As for Brian Shaw, no. He is not yet experienced enough to take the head-coach position. He needs a few more years as an assistant-coach before he is fully ready - maybe 2 more years.. He will be a good coach someday, but the time is not now. He seems like the guy that the players would all love because he can connect with the players. Somebody like Phil in mid-60s really cannot connect with guys less than half his age. I can definitely see why the players would want him, but as you said, he is not right for the position yet.

SoCalMike
05-10-2011, 11:41 PM
Honestly, Coach K should try the NBA just once. He is getting old.. He doesn't have very long to coach the NBA, even if it is for a 3yr stretch. Remember, he is only a couple years younger than Phil. This is his last, best and perhaps only shot of coaching the NBA.

If I were him, I would do it EVEN if it is for a 3 year stretch with the Lakers. He can always go back after his contract is up with the Lakers in 3 years. Nothing says he has to stick around longer; he can be like Larry Brown. The team is already in place, might do 1 move during the off-season for somebody like Dwight. Rest of the team will be in place with the chemistry.

Make the pitch bro... make the pitch!

Lakers_Kobe_Fan
05-10-2011, 11:42 PM
Doc Rivers... he's said his gig with the Celtics is going to be done this year, so perhaps they can coax him to come to the Lakers.. he's strong enough to deal with the personalities and bring the best out of players. Perhaps a pipe dream.

now is what i like :cheers:

I would love to see him as the Lakers Head coach. He has the personality to do it

bladefd
05-10-2011, 11:49 PM

Hmm, I remember people were making lists of coaches earlier in the season.. I tried finding the thread but gave up after first 2 pages. There were a bunch of good names being thrown around in that discussion.. Guys like Byron Scott (few people thought he would get fired by Cavs) and Jeff Van Gundy were mentioned. I don't think Jeff Van Gundy can do it, but there were a few other guys that I can't recall right now.

Maybe somebody has it bookmarked or something? I don't feel like looking through 10-15 pages to find one specific thread.

laker4life310
05-11-2011, 03:41 AM
To Lakers Fans,

an inspiration:

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/columns/story?id=6516923

Crown&Coke
05-11-2011, 12:41 PM
To Lakers Fans,

an inspiration:

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/columns/story?id=6516923

great, great read. I didn't know a lot of that about BShaw

dd24
05-11-2011, 08:28 PM
Great article. I'm still not sold on just turning over a team like the Lakers have put together to someone that isn't more established. I do like the idea of some of these former players finally getting a chance. I'm not saying with the Lakers necessarily but I'd like to see a guy like Sam Cassell, Bill Laimbeer, and Patrick Ewing get a chance somewhere.

tamaraw08
05-12-2011, 12:12 AM
Make the pitch bro... make the pitch!

Ahh, coach K.
1. Kyle Irving, you spent considerable time recruiting this guy, He gets injured, play several games then boom, he abandons you to jump to the NBA.
Guess what? There will be more one and dones, using you and knowledge, for what? to have chance to win more rings?...
2 Win more rings? for what? you have proven to EVERYONE you are a great coach, what is there to prove?
3. YOur reliable seniors are done. Yes there would be a few who will stick around but these guys who would stay behind would be role players. It's gonna take some time to teach these guys and if they really that good, they would leave you, trust me.
4. YOu proved you can handled pros when you coach team USA. Just about every pro, from Odom, Westbrook, Love etc FLOURISHED under you. Imagine seeing them excell under your guidance before your eyes for 7 months/yr.
5. 5-7 yrs from now, you would retire, by this time, you wouldn't want to wonder "what if" i tried coaching an NBA team, can I really do it? Just try it coach.
A lot of it will depend on Kobe, Dr Buss, Odom etc to reach out to him.

dd24
05-12-2011, 12:41 AM
Ahh, coach K.
1. Kyle Irving, you spent considerable time recruiting this guy, He gets injured, play several games then boom, he abandons you to jump to the NBA.
Guess what? There will be more one and dones, using you and knowledge, for what? to have chance to win more rings?...
2 Win more rings? for what? you have proven to EVERYONE you are a great coach, what is there to prove?
3. YOur reliable seniors are done. Yes there would be a few who will stick around but these guys who would stay behind would be role players. It's gonna take some time to teach these guys and if they really that good, they would leave you, trust me.
4. YOu proved you can handled pros when you coach team USA. Just about every pro, from Odom, Westbrook, Love etc FLOURISHED under you. Imagine seeing them excell under your guidance before your eyes for 7 months/yr.
5. 5-7 yrs from now, you would retire, by this time, you wouldn't want to wonder "what if" i tried coaching an NBA team, can I really do it? Just try it coach.
A lot of it will depend on Kobe, Dr Buss, Odom etc to reach out to him.

If you follow recruiting of college players at all, Duke will probably have a better team next season than they did this season. Plus he's already committed to be the coach again for the 2012 olympic team. It's much easier to take the extra time to do that without an 82 game schedule and playoffs on top of that. I don't think coach K really has much of a reason to leave.

chris2010
05-12-2011, 08:54 PM
anybody but larry brown. I think he is overrated as a coach personally. Sure he embodies defense. However I do not think he is good at managing the talent he is given. He did a good job in Detroit and w/ Iverson, but i dont see how he would succeed here

dd24
05-12-2011, 10:19 PM
i didn't think anybody was bringing up Larry Brown but I definitely don't think he fits the Lakers. He limits teams so much offensively and his offensive style requires a really good PG in order to be successful, obviously the Lakers don't have that......

bleedinpurpleTwo
05-12-2011, 11:43 PM
I want Adelman. Great coach. Defensive minded. Bring in fresh blood who is heavily motivated and will push our guys.
Also, he can help bring Yao Ming as our backup center. Yao says he is ready for more and will come cheap, I would think. Imagine Kobe and Yao on the same team...China will be in a tizzy.

bladefd
05-13-2011, 05:02 PM
Well, it is time to add Mike Dunleavy and Jeff Van Gundy to the list. Seems like the Lakers are showing interest in both of them and reached out to both of them according to ESPN.

So far:
Brian Shaw
Rick Adelman
Mike Dunleavy
JVG

Kobe said he would support bringing in Adelman and he obviously support Shaw. Going to get interesting to see what the Lakers do. If Adelman is hired, all of the assistant coaches would change, correct? Shaw would keep the same assistant coaches. Of course, that doesn't mean a whole a lot.

brownmamba00
05-13-2011, 07:03 PM
Why is everyone against the Triangle and Brian Shaw?:oldlol:

We won it all 5 times in 10 years and went to finals 7 times with the same system. And Brian Shaw can be unproven but so was Phil in '91.

But I would obv. prefer Adelman

DKLaker
05-13-2011, 11:33 PM
Well, it is time to add Mike Dunleavy and Jeff Van Gundy to the list. Seems like the Lakers are showing interest in both of them and reached out to both of them according to ESPN.

So far:
Brian Shaw
Rick Adelman
Mike Dunleavy
JVG

Kobe said he would support bringing in Adelman and he obviously support Shaw. Going to get interesting to see what the Lakers do. If Adelman is hired, all of the assistant coaches would change, correct? Shaw would keep the same assistant coaches. Of course, that doesn't mean a whole a lot.

Shaw :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm And the Lakers know it.

Dunleavy:banghead: :banghead: Who is actually considering this idiotic move???

Adelman :applause: :applause: :cheers: WINNING!!!!!!!!!

JVG :confusedshrug: NOT a favorite but could possibly get it done.

Lakers_Kobe_Fan
05-13-2011, 11:49 PM
Shaw :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm And the Lakers know it.

Dunleavy:banghead: :banghead: Who is actually considering this idiotic move???

Adelman :applause: :applause: :cheers: WINNING!!!!!!!!!

JVG :confusedshrug: NOT a favorite but could possibly get it done.

I would bring in JVG and keep shaw as the assistant....The lakers run triangle & keep the continuity in the Offensive end

JVG comes in with a defensive mentally and raises the team's play there....

DKLaker
05-14-2011, 12:14 AM
I would bring in JVG and keep shaw as the assistant....The lakers run triangle & keep the continuity in the Offensive end

JVG comes in with a defensive mentally and raises the team's play there....

Screw the freakin triangle!!!! Guys act like it's some mystical path to the championship :facepalm
I spent awhile tonight breaking this down for people.......we added several new players this year.....players we couldn't play many minutes because we only run the triangle. This caused us to play the guys who know the offense more games/minutes than we should have......which led to fatigue at the end of the season. Face it, the success of the triangle has been more due to having Jordan, Pippen, Shaq, Kobe and Pau.........how did the Timberwolves look running it.......or any other team that has tried it. Ok if you run it but you better have something else to go with it....other options.
How about a simple pick and roll with Kobe and Pau......wouldn't that be much better than the triangle ball movement that puts the ball in Artest's hands too often instead of guys who shoot better.....triangle leaves you without control of who shoots and when......more harm than good unless you have 5 players who can shoot, pass well and dribble.
Why do you think no other team is running it....and instead everyone runs pick and roll to great success. In the playoffs we usually got in trouble because Fish and Artest would have runs of taking 6 of 7 shots....all misses, leading to a 10+ point swing....all while Kobe was on the court.
Dumping the Triangle now would be a great thing.
I coached the triangle for a few years and still teach it as one of multiple offenses we run........I very rarely find much use for it, So I am speaking from knowledge and experience.

Lakers_Kobe_Fan
05-14-2011, 02:55 AM
Screw the freakin triangle!!!! Guys act like it's some mystical path to the championship :facepalm
I spent awhile tonight breaking this down for people.......we added several new players this year.....players we couldn't play many minutes because we only run the triangle. This caused us to play the guys who know the offense more games/minutes than we should have......which led to fatigue at the end of the season. Face it, the success of the triangle has been more due to having Jordan, Pippen, Shaq, Kobe and Pau.........how did the Timberwolves look running it.......or any other team that has tried it. Ok if you run it but you better have something else to go with it....other options.
How about a simple pick and roll with Kobe and Pau......wouldn't that be much better than the triangle ball movement that puts the ball in Artest's hands too often instead of guys who shoot better.....triangle leaves you without control of who shoots and when......more harm than good unless you have 5 players who can shoot, pass well and dribble.
Why do you think no other team is running it....and instead everyone runs pick and roll to great success. In the playoffs we usually got in trouble because Fish and Artest would have runs of taking 6 of 7 shots....all misses, leading to a 10+ point swing....all while Kobe was on the court.
Dumping the Triangle now would be a great thing.
I coached the triangle for a few years and still teach it as one of multiple offenses we run........I very rarely find much use for it, So I am speaking from knowledge and experience.

let me be honest with you. I personally dont like triangle because it takes more than a year for a player to get used to it.

I was saying that because of lockout we might have a short season next year and instead of learning a new system...then can just continue with what they had so far and be a factor in getting another chip

honestly I would love JVG than Adelman...thats just me

PERSONAL NO to SHAW...he had 5 years with the lakers and didnt do squat...first we had rambis then chuck P to design our defensive scheme....

never heard anything about shaw

SoCalMike
05-14-2011, 08:41 AM
yep, lets blow this up... dump the triangle because its a fail... dump the players, because they are a fail... why not give titles back?

wow, take a look at yourselves people and think for a moment.... you are over reacting, perhaps getting sucked in by all the negative media.

this team is not that far off from competing for a title again... just a few minor tweaks and a re-energized hunger.... my vote goes to adelman as his system is not that far off from the triangle, so the personnel match well.

p.s. oj mayo is lookin mighty good right now.

insidehoops
05-16-2011, 01:26 PM
The Los Angeles Lakers have had to replace two coaching legends in the last 20 years: Phil Jackson and Pat Riley. The only time it's worked out well, the team turned to Mike Dunleavy. They're thinking of doing the same again this time. Dunleavy was contacted by the team this week and is said to be on the team's current "short list" to succeed Jackson, according to a source with knowledge of the situation. ESPN.com

That list also includes former Houston Rockets coach Rick Adelman, who ESPN.com's Marc Stein and ESPNLosAngeles.com's Dave McMenamin reported Thursday also would be a candidate for the position. ESPN.com

Lakers assistant coach Brian Shaw has the public endorsement of Kobe Bryant and is regarded as by far the strongest in-house candidate. But a league source told ESPN The Magazine's Ric Bucher that Bryant would support the hiring of Adelman if the team decided to go in that direction. ESPN.com

The Lakers have scheduled interviews with Shaw and fellow Lakers assistant Chuck Person, sources told Bucher. ESPN.com

dd24
05-16-2011, 01:32 PM
Doesn't Person also have interviews with the Warriors and Pacers? I am guessing he's looking for work elsewhere. He probably knows his time in LA is limited now.

tamaraw08
05-17-2011, 01:00 AM
The Los Angeles Lakers have had to replace two coaching legends in the last 20 years: Phil Jackson and Pat Riley. The only time it's worked out well, the team turned to Mike Dunleavy. They're thinking of doing the same again this time. Dunleavy was contacted by the team this week and is said to be on the team's current "short list" to succeed Jackson, according to a source with knowledge of the situation. ESPN.com

That list also includes former Houston Rockets coach Rick Adelman, who ESPN.com's Marc Stein and ESPNLosAngeles.com's Dave McMenamin reported Thursday also would be a candidate for the position. ESPN.com

Lakers assistant coach Brian Shaw has the public endorsement of Kobe Bryant and is regarded as by far the strongest in-house candidate. But a league source told ESPN The Magazine's Ric Bucher that Bryant would support the hiring of Adelman if the team decided to go in that direction. ESPN.com

The Lakers have scheduled interviews with Shaw and fellow Lakers assistant Chuck Person, sources told Bucher. ESPN.com

I have some doubts about Dunleavy. Yes, he did good as Laker's coach and in Portland but his stint in Milwaukee and the last few years with the Clips were so so. Im not saying he is stupid, but I am more impressed with JVG and Adelman's track record.

Lakers_Kobe_Fan
05-17-2011, 11:49 AM
I have some doubts about Dunleavy. Yes, he did good as Laker's coach and in Portland but his stint in Milwaukee and the last few years with the Clips were so so. Im not saying he is stupid, but I am more impressed with JVG and Adelman's track record.

seeing how celtics smacked us in 2008 and now seeing bulls this year with Tom Thibedou....I would prefer to go in with JVG

Chuck Person's defensive schema was a joke...and we all saw that against Mavs...

Kobe even said...it all starts on the defensive end....

dd24
05-17-2011, 12:32 PM

Yeah he did, as a SG which is what the whole debate was about before..... Conley Jr played the vast majority of the minutes at PG.

tamaraw08
05-18-2011, 01:07 AM
seeing how celtics smacked us in 2008 and now seeing bulls this year with Tom Thibedou....I would prefer to go in with JVG

Chuck Person's defensive schema was a joke...and we all saw that against Mavs...

Kobe even said...it all starts on the defensive end....

I prefer JVG and/or Adelman over Shaw and Dunleavy but Im not sure Person did a horrible job as the defensive coach. If he did such a bad job, then Lakers wouldn't have won so many games enroute to having the 2nd best record in the West. Its amazing too how nobody complained about their defense esp when they have a great run after the allstat break, racking up several wins including road wins in Boston and Dallas.
I strngly believe their bad defense in the playoffs were bec of mental and physical fatigue.

DKLaker
05-18-2011, 07:21 PM
yep, lets blow this up... dump the triangle because its a fail... dump the players, because they are a fail... why not give titles back?

wow, take a look at yourselves people and think for a moment.... you are over reacting, perhaps getting sucked in by all the negative media.

this team is not that far off from competing for a title again... just a few minor tweaks and a re-energized hunger.... my vote goes to adelman as his system is not that far off from the triangle, so the personnel match well.

One HUGE point I forgot to mention earlier on why I want to dump the triangle is the massive amount of practice time it eats......the Lakers spend 99.5% of their practice time on it and this hurts every other aspect of their game, time that should be spent on Shooting, Defense, Rebounding etc....
Guys have vented about it....usually not publicly as Gary Payton did.......but trust me, it's a HUGE issue. And does it work well enough to warrant neglecting all of this....I say NO!!!

Clearly we have to make changes....starting with PG.....Blake and Fish are virtually as useless as Luke Walton.

This team is not going to compete for crap unless we get an experienced coach, a shooter or two and new PG's.

We could've gotten O.J Mayo for nothing and we blew it :banghead:
OJ would be an automatic fit as a triangle PG.....but even without the triangle he would make the adjustment to playing the position.........I've been all over this for years after seeing him play PG with Kobe at SG......pick up games or not I was Hugely Impressed......not easy to do :oldlol:

DirtySanchez
05-18-2011, 07:43 PM
Maybe the Lakers should snatch up Pat Riley. He isn't coaching at the moment right. :hammerhead:

Lakers_Kobe_Fan
05-18-2011, 08:01 PM
Maybe the Lakers should snatch up Pat Riley. He isn't coaching at the moment right. :hammerhead:

no thanks...I would prefer

JVG
Adleman

tamaraw08
05-19-2011, 12:05 AM
One HUGE point I forgot to mention earlier on why I want to dump the triangle is the massive amount of practice time it eats......the Lakers spend 99.5% of their practice time on it and this hurts every other aspect of their game, time that should be spent on Shooting, Defense, Rebounding etc....
Guys have vented about it....usually not publicly as Gary Payton did.......but trust me, it's a HUGE issue. And does it work well enough to warrant neglecting all of this....I say NO!!!

Clearly we have to make changes....starting with PG.....Blake and Fish are virtually as useless as Luke Walton.

This team is not going to compete for crap unless we get an experienced coach, a shooter or two and new PG's.

We could've gotten O.J Mayo for nothing and we blew it :banghead:
OJ would be an automatic fit as a triangle PG.....but even without the triangle he would make the adjustment to playing the position.........I've been all over this for years after seeing him play PG with Kobe at SG......pick up games or not I was Hugely Impressed......not easy to do :oldlol:

You made a valid point. Phil benefitted from the triple post bec of the multiple options in presented against stifling defenses before, but now, the rules have changed, outlawing hand checks etc.
Adelman used the princeton offense and likes his center to position in the high post, creating good spacing. If Pau can get back to his playing form and the right mindset, he could really benefit from Rick's system. Other than that, Im not sure the Lakers can really use a ton of pick and rolls with the current players.

DKLaker
05-19-2011, 12:29 AM
You made a valid point. Phil benefitted from the triple post bec of the multiple options in presented against stifling defenses before, but now, the rules have changed, outlawing hand checks etc.
Adelman used the princeton offense and likes his center to position in the high post, creating good spacing. If Pau can get back to his playing form and the right mindset, he could really benefit from Rick's system. Other than that, Im not sure the Lakers can really use a ton of pick and rolls with the current players.

You give any coach....even a bad coach who runs a pick and roll, give that coach Kobe and Pau........ and that coach will destroy you. It's that easy.

DKLaker
05-24-2011, 11:45 PM
Yahoo Sports is saying the Lakers are in deep negotiations to sign Mike Brown as the next head coach :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Please tell me this is NEVER going to happen :mad: :mad: :mad:

TryToBeUnbias
05-25-2011, 01:22 AM
Yahoo Sports is saying the Lakers are in deep negotiations to sign Mike Brown as the next head coach :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
It happened. I think I just threw up a little bit

dd24
05-25-2011, 01:23 AM

Hopefully this is a tactic to get another candidate to take less money.... This could be a really sad day for the Lakers. I'm really not a fan of what Brown did as a head coach in the NBA.

bladefd
05-25-2011, 02:01 AM
Mike Brown is an average coach at best... I seriously hope we don't get him.. :banghead: That's all I have to say until more articles comes out on this..

OG LeeTSkeeT
05-25-2011, 02:03 AM
Jerry Sloan out of retirement!

lakersNUMBA1
05-25-2011, 03:10 AM
i think we should get nash. fisher retires and then becomes coach? :oldlol:

and1
05-25-2011, 06:27 AM
wow if it's going to be mike brown im taking a season off... how could the lakers organisation want such a stupid coach :( :( :(

DKLaker
05-25-2011, 01:15 PM
wow if it's going to be mike brown im taking a season off... how could the lakers organisation want such a stupid coach :( :( :(

I seriously hope....PRAY, that this is just a ploy to get Adelman to take less money. If not this will be the Titanic trying to hit the biggest iceberg it can find.

If this is the best they can do then, yeah let DFish retire and coach the team.

dd24
05-25-2011, 01:27 PM
It seems as if this is seriously going to happen and it will be locked down today :cry: :confusedshrug: :wtf:

Crown&Coke
05-25-2011, 01:39 PM
Mike Brown?????? wtf!!!!!

I like Mike Brown, he has a good pedigree and his focus on defense is great. But this is the mighty Lakers, not some scrub team looking to make their first NBA splash.

You either hire from within the org, or you make a major move with a major league coach, not the JV squads former coach...

His post game interviews are gonna be so boring, Im dosing off already

Sorry Mike, I like you, I just don't like you as the coach of my team

I wonder who is really pulling the strings here, Mitch? Jimmy Bus? Dr. Buss? Someone needs to show whoever it is Mike Brown's post-season adjustment book, because there is only one page in it, and all it says is "isolation and everyone else spot up"

bladefd
05-25-2011, 01:57 PM
Anyone remember the stretches that Mike Brown used to go on where he would look like a fan of LeBron out there? He couldn't tell LeBron what to do, man... LeBron would do what LeBron wanted while Brown would be standing there idle just watching. I rarely saw him call out players on the team in the public.. He would never do what Phil would do: remember punching Pau in the chest couple times? Remember occasionally pointing and yelling at Odom? I don't think Brown would even do THAT.

What I do not understand is that Kobe said he is behind Brian Shaw. Afterwards, he came out and said he is okay with Adelman and JVG. Instead the Laker organization goes with Brown, who was not even one of the 3 guys Kobe said he was okay with. Are they trying to lose Kobe or try to show their superiority over Kobe???

I am NOT happy if Brown will be signed.. He is borderline incompetent to run this Laker squad. He couldn't keep LeBron under check; how is he going to coach Kobe? If anything, Kobe's ego is greater than LeBron. Tough as it was for Phil to keep this team motivated. Brown is not going to get this team motivated. Stupid move...

Seems like Jim Buss strongly supported hiring Mike Brown..

Crown&Coke
05-25-2011, 02:05 PM
What I do not understand is that Kobe said he is behind Brian Shaw. Afterwards, he came out and said he is okay with Adelman and JVG. Instead the Laker organization goes with Brown, who was not even one of the 3 guys Kobe said he was okay with. Are they trying to lose Kobe or try to show their superiority over Kobe???

good post, you said lebron so many times in a sequence I thought you were actually Lebron talking in third person about yourself :lol

I don't get that part either, and, if "cheaper" is what you are looking for then paying 4.5 per for Mike Brown is a headscratcher...

bladefd
05-25-2011, 02:10 PM
good post, you said lebron so many times in a sequence I thought you were actually Lebron talking in third person about yourself :lol

I don't get that part either, and, if "cheaper" is what you are looking for then paying 4.5 per for Mike Brown is a headscratcher...

Ding ding ding. Jim Buss wanted Mike Brown according to hoopsworld and espn.. There's the answer :confusedshrug:

That guy is borderline incompetent as well... Dr Buss made a mistake giving Jim so much power..

Crown&Coke
05-25-2011, 02:16 PM
Ding ding ding. Jim Buss wanted Mike Brown according to hoopsworld and espn.. There's the answer :confusedshrug:

That guy is borderline incompetent as well... Dr Buss made a mistake giving Jim so much power..

:facepalm :facepalm

Jimmy Buss seems to have a superiority complex or something. He keeps beating his chest and acting like he has all this knowledge when he didn't do a damn thing before 2005 except get paid to bullshit.

Okay, he wanted Bynum instead of Granger, took 5 years to get something out of it but good move nontheless. What else has he done to deserve more clout than Mitch other than being the bosses kid? He and Phil clashed because Phil though he was a joke, and didn't listen to anything he said.

Crown&Coke
05-25-2011, 02:20 PM
Hiring BShaw would have showed a few things:
1) the Lakers are going with stability
2) they have confidence in their organizational ability (a la San Antonio)
3) youth movement (coaching wise)

Hiring a guy who failed miserably in the playoffs 2x in a row after going to the finals and getting cold-clocked shows a complete lack of trust in the coaching staff and their ability to function without Phil

bladefd
05-25-2011, 02:26 PM
Mike Brown to Lakers is Jim Buss’ call, showing power shift. (http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/05/25/mike-brown-to-lakers-is-jim-buss%E2%80%99-call-showing-power-shift/)

Jerry Buss is still the owner of the Los Angeles Lakers.

But he’s not the guy pulling the strings anymore, the power shift to son Jim Buss is pretty much complete.

According to the Los Angeles Times, the move to set up and hire former Cleveland Cavaliers coach Mike Brown was the younger Buss’ call.

Jim Buss, who had a reputation as a playboy in his younger days, runs the basketball side of the operations while his sister Jeanie (outgoing coach Phil Jackson’s girlfriend) runs the business side of the Lakers. Jerry Buss still has the last say on everything, but his role is greatly diminished. He did not even attend the Lakers victory parade last year, instead being spotted playing poker in a local card club. Still, it can be a little like Kremlinology to figure out who is running what inside the Lakers organization. This is a clear sign.

Jim Buss also made the call to hire Rudy Tomjanovich last time Phil Jackson stepped away from the organization. That ended poorly, with Tomjanovich leaving midway through the season and eventually Jackson having to be brought back to calm season ticket holders. The good news is that Brown has already coached in a high-pressure circus and should be better prepared for the Lakers gig in that sense.

This hiring is not sitting well with Lakers fans, who remember Brown’s stagnant offenses in Cleveland. Things were not as bad as they appeared there, that was a matter of the players on the roster around LeBron James to a degree. Still, the execution of the Xs and Os was an issue under Brown before.

But Jim Buss wants him, so he is the man.

Supposedly, Mitch and Dr Buss weren't even there when little Jimmy interviewed Brown.. Splendid.

Crown&Coke
05-25-2011, 02:54 PM
Supposedly, Mitch and Dr Buss weren't even there when little Jimmy interviewed Brown.. Splendid.

This is dejavu all over again, Rudy T fiasco was Jimmy's idea too? Seems like Jim Buss wants to get away from the triangle hard, due to his latest coaching decisions he wants a pg oriented offense

dd24
05-25-2011, 04:30 PM
This is dejavu all over again, Rudy T fiasco was Jimmy's idea too? Seems like Jim Buss wants to get away from the triangle hard, due to his latest coaching decisions he wants a pg oriented offense

First we'd need a PG to run an offense like that :lol

Crown&Coke
05-25-2011, 04:36 PM

I hope Jim knows that...

I guess its a confirmed done deal.

Welcome aboard Mike Brown, please disregard all the trash talking I've done, you're grrrrrrreattttt!

DKLaker
05-25-2011, 07:02 PM
All the coaches that we on here, the media, ex-players mentioned.......and not a single one that I heard or read suggested Mike Brown even get an interview..........Why? Because everyone knows he's a stupid coach and even worse in the postseason :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

I keep saying that the only one capable of running the Lakers other than Jerry is Jeanie.

UGH.....What a day :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm

kobesabi
05-25-2011, 07:16 PM
The END of Lakers is near.

Jim Buss is living in Mayan calendar.

This will cause so many problems many ways and at many levels.

Jim just want to get rid of Phil and his apprentice to show who is the boss.... this will not work well with remaining asst coaches. It also shows disrespect to Kobe. Smart owners work around their star players unless he dont care about Kobe anymore and want to trade him too. He hired Tomanovich...and did they get anywhere? Nope. I guess he also wants to show power over Jeanie.

The team is ready for another playoff and just need few tweaks to keep it going by hiring someone who knows the triangle. Hiring Mike Brown is not one of those guys and will have major overhaul on the team. Now entire asst coaches, Kobe, and team have to learn his style. This will cause a rift and probably take a nose dive to the abyss. Man...:facepalm :mad: :facepalm :mad: :facepalm I guess up to a certain point, I have to distant myself to not get high blood pressure.

lakersNUMBA1
05-25-2011, 07:39 PM
just realized mike brown is the first official coach in Lakers history that is African-American. no racial.

Crown&Coke
05-25-2011, 08:09 PM
just realized mike brown is the first official coach in Lakers history that is African-American. no racial.

Magic was a coach for like 2 weeks, and I thought Phil was AA?

Erathia
05-25-2011, 10:07 PM
Lakers reach deal in principle with Mike Brown

3 hours, 15 minutes ago

By GREG BEACHAM AP Sports Writer

LOS ANGELES (AP)—The Los Angeles Lakers have reached an agreement in principle with former Cleveland coach Mike Brown to succeed Phil Jackson, the team said Wednesday.

“We’ve met with Mike and are very impressed with him,” said a statement issued by the Lakers. “In addition, we have an outline for an agreement in place and hope to sign a contract within the next few days.”

Brown will get a four-year deal worth roughly $18 million, a person with knowledge of the discussions told The Associated Press on Wednesday on condition of anonymity because the Lakers hadn’t yet formally hired Brown.

With a strong interview last weekend, Brown jumped to the front of the line of candidates for the daunting challenge of succeeding the 11-time NBA champion Jackson with one of the NBA’s iconic franchises. Brown will be the 22nd coach of the Lakers, whose 16 NBA titles trail only the Boston Celtics’ 17 in league history.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=txlakerscoach

tamaraw08
05-25-2011, 10:53 PM
I like Mike Brown.....As an ASSISTANT COACH!!!:rant

I think he did good at Cleveland, handling a superstar...Then again Rudy Tomjanovich ALSO did good in HOuston coaching Hakeem, then the Lakers hired him and look what happened.
Im not saying he would ALSO be DISASTER but there's a fair chance it would happen again.
My question is why take this bigger risk with a coach that handled ONE team?:banghead:
This is the freaking Lakers we are talking about, if they were impressed with Brown's defensive schemes while at Cleveland, then hire him as the defensive coordinator ala Tom Thibs with Boston in 08. Mo Cheeks, Terry Stotts etc etc were all former head coaches who are acting as assistants right now.
Why not go with a BATTLE TESTED coach like Adelman who were fairly succuessfull in atleast TWO teams he handled. The guy did really good coping with major injuries to his superstars like Yao and TMac at Houston and did SO WELL at Sacramento.
Jeff Van Gundy did good at BOTH NY and Houston,
But I guess they want to roll their dice on a coach with an experience with ONE team. :(

kobesabi
05-25-2011, 11:31 PM
I like Mike Brown.....As an ASSISTANT COACH!!!:rant

I think he did good at Cleveland, handling a superstar...Then again Rudy Tomjanovich ALSO did good in HOuston coaching Hakeem, then the Lakers hired him and look what happened.
Im not saying he would ALSO be DISASTER but there's a fair chance it would happen again.
My question is why take this bigger risk with a coach that handled ONE team?:banghead:
This is the freaking Lakers we are talking about, if they were impressed with Brown's defensive schemes while at Cleveland, then hire him as the defensive coordinator ala Tom Thibs with Boston in 08. Mo Cheeks, Terry Stotts etc etc were all former head coaches who are acting as assistants right now.
Why not go with a BATTLE TESTED coach like Adelman who were fairly succuessfull in atleast TWO teams he handled. The guy did really good coping with major injuries to his superstars like Yao and TMac at Houston and did SO WELL at Sacramento.
Jeff Van Gundy did good at BOTH NY and Houston,
But I guess they want to roll their dice on a coach with an experience with ONE team. :(
Agree. I think it is not "they", it is more of "Jim Buss". It's not 1 year, but 4 years...great if Jim is wrong...Lakers will .... !@#$!@#$R!@R3r ...oh well...I guess Lakers won't be fishing for 1 summer, but maybe more than 4 seasons. :banghead: :rant :mad: :( :violin: :facepalm

lakersNUMBA1
05-26-2011, 12:06 AM
Magic was a coach for like 2 weeks, and I thought Phil was AA?

ahaha thats why i said "official" magic wasn't coach for the whole season so he was part time ;)

and1
05-26-2011, 12:56 AM
wow.. crisis... seriously.. this is the ****ing worst shit ever

he is going to ride us to ruin.............................................. .............. :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm

signs of his cluelessness in cleveland were so ridiculous obvious

TryToBeUnbias
05-26-2011, 01:37 AM
hmmm.

mariodeathgrip
05-26-2011, 02:36 AM
:applause:
:cheers:

JellyBean
05-26-2011, 07:09 AM
I was hoping that B-Shaw would have been the new coach. But we have Mike Brown and it is time to welcome in a new coach, new style of play, and we will see what happens. Welcome, Mike to the greatest team in the NBA.

LA.MJ&KB#1
05-26-2011, 12:13 PM
I'm glad Phil and the traingle is GONE and I personally didn't think Brain Shaw was the person for this laker team. Now to Mike Brown first, let me be one of the first to say welcome COACH rather most like him or not dude, has a proven history with his last team CAVS.

Mike will have these lakers ready to play on a daily basis and I can ensure you he won't be sitting down in a high chair not using his timeouts or letting other teams shoot wide open shots from outside with nobody guarding them.

Plus everybody needs to give Coach Brown a fair opporunity to prove us right or wrong. I think Mitch and the organization will retool this squad with a few addition everybody knows the rumoring going around. So lets wait a see how the offseason turns out guy's and gal's.

Crown&Coke
05-26-2011, 01:36 PM
ahaha thats why i said "official" magic wasn't coach for the whole season so he was part time ;)

:cheers:

damn qualifying statements!

lakerfreak
05-26-2011, 01:50 PM
I'm glad Phil and the traingle is GONE and I personally didn't think Brain Shaw was the person for this laker team. Now to Mike Brown first, let me be one of the first to say welcome COACH rather most like him or not dude, has a proven history with his last team CAVS.

Mike will have these lakers ready to play on a daily basis and I can ensure you he won't be sitting down in a high chair not using his timeouts or letting other teams shoot wide open shots from outside with nobody guarding them.

Plus everybody needs to give Coach Brown a fair opporunity to prove us right or wrong. I think Mitch and the organization will retool this squad with a few addition everybody knows the rumoring going around. So lets wait a see how the offseason turns out guy's and gal's.

Nice post, I will admit he works hard. He will bring really good defense to this sqaud. Hopefully one of his assistants can help him with offense or something.

I think that there were many factors for his losing in cleveland that wasn't all him. Its hard to win games when your only talented player is lebron, who isn't even the most clutch player, so you couldn't rely on him to win every game either. This lakers team has so much chemistry playing together that they will be good, provided that they keep this talent that they have.

You can't really tell how good a coach like Mike Brown is until you give him this talented team and see what he can do with it. He has winning records as a coach. He will do fine in the regular season. Its the playoffs that count, and we will see if he can bring them back to the promised land.

dd24
05-26-2011, 02:14 PM
You can't really tell how good a coach like Mike Brown is until you give him this talented team and see what he can do with it. He has winning records as a coach. He will do fine in the regular season. Its the playoffs that count, and we will see if he can bring them back to the promised land.

He had talented teams in Cleveland. Look at the year they went to the finals. The only other good team in the East was Detroit. They didn't have much competition other than that. Of course they were going to have a good record and they had enough talent to make it to the finals and be competitive. I'm not going to look at his record and say how he was a great coach. He had a good record because of the talent he had. Let's not forget the main reason he was fired from Cleveland is because Lebron didn't think he was that smart of an offensive coach and Cleveland did it in hopes to keep Lebron around. He really didn't do that great of a job implementing the different egos together on that team. Sure he is a good defensive mind. I'm still not sold on him as a head coach in the NBA though.

lakerfreak
05-26-2011, 02:32 PM
He had talented teams in Cleveland. Look at the year they went to the finals. The only other good team in the East was Detroit. They didn't have much competition other than that. Of course they were going to have a good record and they had enough talent to make it to the finals and be competitive. I'm not going to look at his record and say how he was a great coach. He had a good record because of the talent he had. Let's not forget the main reason he was fired from Cleveland is because Lebron didn't think he was that smart of an offensive coach and Cleveland did it in hopes to keep Lebron around. He really didn't do that great of a job implementing the different egos together on that team. Sure he is a good defensive mind. I'm still not sold on him as a head coach in the NBA though.

Who did he have other than Lebron? What I am saying this lakers team is more talented than that cavaliers team. Are you suggesting other wise?

dd24
05-26-2011, 02:36 PM
Who did he have other than Lebron? What I am saying this lakers team is more talented than that cavaliers team. Are you suggesting other wise?

I'm not suggesting the Cavs team he had was a better team than the Lakers. I'm just pointing out that he did have good talent before.

lakerfreak
05-26-2011, 02:37 PM
I'm not suggesting the Cavs team he had was a better team than the Lakers. I'm just pointing out that he did have good talent before.

Okay we know Lebron is the best player in the league. Who else was on that team besides lebron that can be considered, even a 3rd option on most teams?

dd24
05-26-2011, 02:52 PM
I just found this.... it looks like GS scared Jim Buss a bit.

You can blame the Golden State Warriors for the Lakers coaching hire. The LA TIMES reports that Jim Buss, the son of owner Jerry Buss, was so worried he could lose Mike Brown to the Warriors, he rushed into a deal to bring him to the Lakers. Brown apparently used Ninja mind control to blow away Jim Buss during his interview.

DKLaker
05-26-2011, 03:41 PM
Watching Brown coach was :facepalm He had no clue as to end of game strategy, proper use of timeouts........these are HUGE factors in not only close games, but KILLERS in the postseason.......it's like the moment arrives and he's like OH CRAP!!!! What do I do now???? And then he does the wrong thing.....See Rambis, See Dunleavy.
Ask OKC about late game decision making :oldlol:

Easy to look at a regular season record and miss this, which is why you should watch the games and see the moves/strategy/decisions made......besides, the Lakers would've won 70 games without trying in the East.......scrub teams making the playoffs with sub .500 records :hammerhead: His 60 win seasons were highly inflated & overrated.

And.......why a 4 year contract???? We're already stuck with a bad Walton contract, a seemingly bad Blake contract and now this guy????
Better off if we paid him 10 mil for 2yrs......I suspect we're going to have to eat part of his contract.......maybe 3yrs of it.

DKLaker
05-26-2011, 04:01 PM
Here is what we can fully expect;

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii76/H3AT23/LeBrongif.gif

DKLaker
05-26-2011, 04:04 PM
Mike's only offensive play.......change the 23 to 24;

http://blacksportsonline.com/home/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/Mike-Brown-Playbook-300x216.jpg

LA KB24
05-26-2011, 04:12 PM
Guys, relax.This guy just had a bad rep with LeBron, and Gilbert fired him for no reason other than hoping LeBron would stay. He's not gonna run the same sh1t he did with Cleveland. With the Cavs, he adjusted to the personnel. He didn't have much to work with... LeBron, an old and slow Big Z, and a collection of self made second rounders. You guys are crazy if you think he'll be running that 1 man sh1t with the talent we have here.

I'm not even worried about offense, we have a bunch of vets who know how to execute. if Brown focuses entirely on defense, that's all we need from him.

We just need to pick up a PG and some shooters.

Crown&Coke
05-26-2011, 04:25 PM
Mike's only offensive play.......change the 23 to 24;

http://blacksportsonline.com/home/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/Mike-Brown-Playbook-300x216.jpg

this is hilarious when its about the Cavs, so depressing when its about the Lakers

dd24
05-26-2011, 04:31 PM
Okay we know Lebron is the best player in the league. Who else was on that team besides lebron that can be considered, even a 3rd option on most teams?

While there wasn't another superstar they had a nice collection of good players. First of all, you have to look at what other teams in the East had a few years ago to compare things evenly. Until Boston put together the Big 3 there really wasn't teams with that many superstars. With that said if you look at the guys they had then it's a lot of guys you'd want on your team like Varejao.... he's always been a very good defender and rebounder in the middle. They also had Ilgauskas in his prime. He might have aged quickly the past couple of seasons but before that he was a good center in the East and vastly under rated. Mo Williams is a good option on a lot of teams. Delonte West was a solid player for them too. Larry Hughes before the injury. Donyell Marshall.... Ben Wallace was there. Amazing how he can still average close to 10 rebounds per game and still play lock down D with Detroit just the season before this last one when they got Greg Monroe.....

bleedinpurpleTwo
05-26-2011, 05:38 PM
First of all, I like the fact that they hired a guy whose reputation is entirely Defensive. That was critical.
Second, he is very well respected in the coaching circles.
Third, his resume over the last 5 years is better than anyone's other than Phil Jackson (not an option), Popovich (not an option), and Doc Rivers (not an option). Everyone else is a retread.

Having said all that, I was pulling for Adelman.

That's OK. Brown will bring defensive intensity and a new energy.

Now its up to management to make some smart player movements. Remember, we still have that exception of $5m to use, if we so choose.

Lakers_Kobe_Fan
05-26-2011, 07:21 PM
I have my doubts but I am OK with this hiring. DEFENSE was the reason the lakers got swept. couldnt play any defense. then we were crying about Defense...

he can just run the Kobe/whoever pick n roll all day and we will be ok....

DEFENSE is going to be good.

I heard he might hire a really good Italian coach for offense...which I am OK with...

Kobe said himself in the EXIT interview that DEFENSE WINS...

LA.MJ&KB#1
05-26-2011, 10:49 PM
Nice post, I will admit he works hard. He will bring really good defense to this sqaud. Hopefully one of his assistants can help him with offense or something.

I think that there were many factors for his losing in cleveland that wasn't all him. Its hard to win games when your only talented player is lebron, who isn't even the most clutch player, so you couldn't rely on him to win every game either. This lakers team has so much chemistry playing together that they will be good, provided that they keep this talent that they have.

Well said Lakerfreak but, Phil had greatness all around him from players to coaches. So give Mike a good offense coach like someone as smart as Mr. Tex and the current lakers squad we should do just fine. I still say more to come this offseason. Go Lakers

LakersFan626
05-27-2011, 04:31 AM
Hmmm... Mike Brown should make the defense better (though it wasn't really a weakness in the first place) but his offensive scheme is isolations and games where the Lakers iso'ed and didn't move the ball around were the games they usually lost. If he keeps them moving the ball like the triangle did it's a good signing, but I'm not expecting it though.

lakerfreak
05-27-2011, 05:10 AM
It is important to note that Mike Brown is a student of the great poppovich.

Poppovich's spurs never had a good offense, but because they had really good players surrounding one of the best cores at their time. That roster won 2-3 championships based strictly on a defensive scheme.

I don't see why Mike Brown can't lift this lakers team over the hump. This can be another san antonio scenario. I can't wait to see what the defense is going to look like next time we watch these guys play.

LA.MJ&KB#1
05-27-2011, 11:04 AM
It is important to note that Mike Brown is a student of the great poppovich.

Poppovich's spurs never had a good offense, but because they had really good players surrounding one of the best cores at their time. That roster won 2-3 championships based strictly on a defensive scheme.

I don't see why Mike Brown can't lift this lakers team over the hump. This can be another san antonio scenario. I can't wait to see what the defense is going to look like next time we watch these guys play.

The more I think about Coach Mike Brown and the GREAT points you bring up about him lakerfreak the more everybody should trust the decission Jim Buss made. I'm ready for the lakers to move in a different direction and to start with DEFENSE FIRST isn't bad at all. Kobe seems to like the ideal about DEFENSE FIRST.
I can't wait to see this laker team next season just leave the ROLLERCOASTER RIDE BEHIND.

dd24
05-27-2011, 11:44 AM
I wonder what that defense first mentality is going to do to ticket sales and tv ratings..... I don't see a style of play like Detroit or San Antonio has drawing in the crowds quite like the Showtime of the Lakers does. Not to mention the whole high scoring offense showtime thing has kind of worked out in LA.

DKLaker
05-27-2011, 12:16 PM
Ok........Guys are drinking the Kool-Aid on here........just remember what I told ya........his late game strategy and decision making will kill us in the end.....look at what happened over and over to the Bulls and Thunder.
Closing games is where a head coach really EARNS his money and where Championships are won.

Lakers_Kobe_Fan
05-27-2011, 02:17 PM
Ok........Guys are drinking the Kool-Aid on here........just remember what I told ya........his late game strategy and decision making will kill us in the end.....look at what happened over and over to the Bulls and Thunder.
Closing games is where a head coach really EARNS his money and where Championships are won.

what else can we do? we all know he is a horrible HEAD coach and like tamara said he should be an Assistant coach.

I dont know why they didnt go through a formal hiring process where you interview all the candidates and then make a decision.

this is just pathetic honestly.

Nastradamus
05-27-2011, 02:53 PM
Brown is the new Poppovich. Will get the msot out of his palyers, actually use good young players and role players and get LA to play D and try harder. Phil lost it at the end. This team wasn't giving the effort, especially on D and Dallas murdered them for it. Even NO hurt them pretty badly. Brown will rectify that. An offense featuring Pau,Kobe,Bynum and Lamar will run itself for the most part.

traditionone
05-27-2011, 05:08 PM
I'm willing to give Mike Brown a chance before I bury him. LeBron James became bigger than the entire Cavs organization when management became determined to do whatever it takes to keep him, which failed in the end. LeBron did whatever he wanted whenever he wanted. The coach had no authority over him because management was afraid to lose him. They fired Mike Brown in an attempt to keep LeBron. The offense was stagnant because that is what King James wanted, not necessarily what Mike Brown wanted.

He's a good coach in a pool that has no great coaches. There was no home run pick.

$LakerGold
05-27-2011, 08:09 PM
All the coaches that we on here, the media, ex-players mentioned.......and not a single one that I heard or read suggested Mike Brown even get an interview..........Why? Because everyone knows he's a stupid coach and even worse in the postseason :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

I keep saying that the only one capable of running the Lakers other than Jerry is Jeanie.

UGH.....What a day :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm

I feel you :facepalm
MY MAIN PROBLEM IS, I CANT PICTURE THE LAKERS ANYMORE!

It aint gonna be the same with him on the team, I really wanted Shaw to be the Coach tho.. no lie, I think he atleast deserved a chance..

so whats shaw's status now? is he gonna come back and be an assistant?

$LakerGold
05-27-2011, 08:11 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=txlakerscoach

When he said "we", did he mean Me,Myself and I? :facepalm

DKLaker
05-28-2011, 01:12 AM
Brown is the new Poppovich. Will get the msot out of his palyers, actually use good young players and role players and get LA to play D and try harder. Phil lost it at the end. This team wasn't giving the effort, especially on D and Dallas murdered them for it. Even NO hurt them pretty badly. Brown will rectify that. An offense featuring Pau,Kobe,Bynum and Lamar will run itself for the most part.

Don't get me wrong....I hope Brown makes me eat my words and wins like 6 championships in 10 years :cheers:

What I really can't stand is guys trying to equate Brown to Pop.

Brown = Pop LIKE Rambis = Phil :facepalm :facepalm :banghead:
Wish him luck but please stop the comparison.......it's not like we haven't seen him coach before.......and trust me NO One is calling him a genius.

dd24
05-28-2011, 05:16 AM
Brown = Pop LIKE Rambis = Phil :facepalm :facepalm :banghead:
Wish him luck but please stop the comparison.......it's not like we haven't seen him coach before.......and trust me NO One is calling him a genius.

We mostly don't agree but this time.... it's 100% :cheers:

crosso√er
05-28-2011, 07:16 AM
I am totally satisfied with this signing; got really tired of Mike being used as a scapegoat in Cleveland every-time James choked in the playoffs. He overachieved with Cleveland every single year and was a COTY candidate twice. Led that team to the best record twice; he emphasizes defense and I'm sure LA can recruit some sound assistant coaches who are offense oriented if things don't go well on that end.

I'm happy for our future; it's a signing that makes sense to me.

dd24
05-28-2011, 04:55 PM
This can't be good either....

Another coach Brown is interested in having on his Lakers staff is Detroit Pistons Coach John Kuester, two executives with NBA teams said. Los Angeles Times

I hated the job Kuester did in Detroit. He obviously couldn't get along with the players, even the ones who are known to be nice, good people. If you're looking for offensive creativity to balance out Brown's defensive mind it won't be found in Kuester.

Brown has contacted New Orleans Hornets Coach Monty Williams to express his interest in having Hornets assistant Michael Malone join him in Los Angeles, according to an NBA official briefed on the matter who was not authorized to speak publicly.

The Hornets are mulling their options with Malone, the official said, because he is the No.1 assistant in New Orleans. But the official said the Hornets don't want to keep anybody around who doesn't want to be there. Brown and Malone worked together in Cleveland for five years before the Cavaliers fired Brown after the 2009-10 season, and Malone joined the Hornets for the 2010-11 season. Los Angeles Times

This is your other possible assistant. The positive side I can see from this is Malone should have a pretty good relationship with CP3 by now. It could help in landing him in a trade to LA....

M.V.W.
05-28-2011, 05:26 PM
I am totally satisfied with this signing; got really tired of Mike being used as a scapegoat in Cleveland every-time James choked in the playoffs. He overachieved with Cleveland every single year and was a COTY candidate twice. Led that team to the best record twice; he emphasizes defense and I'm sure LA can recruit some sound assistant coaches who are offense oriented if things don't go well on that end.

I'm happy for our future; it's a signing that makes sense to me.

He also won the award. One could only hope that he brings that same success to L.A.

This is your other possible assistant. The positive side I can see from this is Malone should have a pretty good relationship with CP3 by now. It could help in landing him in a trade to LA....

Hmmm...