PDA

View Full Version : Charles Barkley Has Gone Nuts

NBASTATMAN
05-02-2011, 10:41 PM
He just said that Dirk is better thaN Kobe.. WTF

LBJ4MVP23
05-02-2011, 11:12 PM
Better than? Thats actually laughable, so yes he has gone crazy.

More valuable? Absolutely. Without kobe the lakers are a +.600 team and that has been proven every time he has gone out the past few years. Without Dirk the Mavs are TURRIBLE. Dikr means more to his team than kobe does to his given the talent level of both team's supporting cast, but kobe is a top 10 player ALL TIME. Thats not something to take lightly.

comerb
05-02-2011, 11:15 PM
Dirk is playing better than Kobe this year. Especially with Kobe playing pretty lazy defense all year.

Now I don't think dirk is actually a better player, but I can see where Chuck is coming from

FourthTenor
05-02-2011, 11:15 PM
Umm, yeah Dirk is better than Kobe.

If you actually WATCH games and analyze each player, there actual evidence favors Dirk.

If you just think its impossible that something you've been beaten over the head with by ESPN and Nike and Gatorade could possibly be untrue, then yeah, you're just blindly sticking with conventional wisdom and saying "omgz kobe is best player on the planet! he'll always be best player on the planet even when he's 40 yrs old playing 14 minutes per game for a 7th seed!"

Nobody wants to actually think about reality, just stick with their favorite common perceptions.

DMAVS41
05-02-2011, 11:17 PM
I'm the biggest Dirk fan in the world, but no, he's not better than Kobe now and he's never been better as a player.

And Barkley was using age as a reason. Dirk is almost 33 (older than Kobe) and is not still in his prime.

Sorry Chuck.

Quata
05-02-2011, 11:21 PM
Current Dirk in the playoffs has been better than Current Kobe in the playoffs. Chuck is just commenting based on recent form.

FourthTenor
05-02-2011, 11:28 PM
I'm the biggest Dirk fan in the world, but no, he's not better than Kobe now and he's never been better as a player.

And Barkley was using age as a reason. Dirk is almost 33 (older than Kobe) and is not still in his prime.

Sorry Chuck.

He's not talking about numerical age, he's talking about what each guy is able to do at this stage in his career.

Explosiveness used to be a huge part of Kobe's game in his prime. He doesn't have that any more. He can explode occasionally but it's pretty rare.

Dirk is the better outside shooter. He has better matchups when he shoots outside because of his size, and he takes less dumb shots.

Dirk's post-up is also more effecient than Kobe's. Dirk can put the ball on the floor which is hard for bigs to defend.

Dirk is also a more reliable free throw shooter.

Dirk is more effective than Kobe at every single thing. Outside shooting, midrange shooting, post up or dribble-drive, free throw shooting.

THe only argument for Bryant is "umm, come on dude, he's kobe bryant! you cant tell me someone else is better! ive always believed kobe is teh best. being good at shooting bad shots is the most important thing in basketball! kobe scores 30 points on 28 shots. That's 30 points, yo! Dude come on, he's kobe bryant. Dirk's not better than him!"

KenneBell
05-03-2011, 12:12 AM
He's trolling as usual.

Theoo's Daddy
05-03-2011, 01:04 AM
He's trolling as usual.
:applause:

AirJordan&Magic
05-03-2011, 01:44 AM
Umm, yeah Dirk is better than Kobe.

If you actually WATCH games and analyze each player, there actual evidence favors Dirk.
If you just think its impossible that something you've been beaten over the head with by ESPN and Nike and Gatorade could possibly be untrue, then yeah, you're just blindly sticking with conventional wisdom and saying "omgz kobe is best player on the planet! he'll always be best player on the planet even when he's 40 yrs old playing 14 minutes per game for a 7th seed!"

Nobody wants to actually think about reality, just stick with their favorite common perceptions.

If you actually watch games and come up with the conclusion that Dirk is a better player than Kobe, then I question your basketball knowledge.

AlphaWolf24
05-03-2011, 01:56 AM
He's not talking about numerical age, he's talking about what each guy is able to do at this stage in his career.

Explosiveness used to be a huge part of Kobe's game in his prime. He doesn't have that any more. He can explode occasionally but it's pretty rare.

Dirk is the better outside shooter. He has better matchups when he shoots outside because of his size, and he takes less dumb shots.

Dirk's post-up is also more effecient than Kobe's. Dirk can put the ball on the floor which is hard for bigs to defend.

Dirk is more effective than Kobe at every single thing. Outside shooting, midrange shooting, post up or dribble-drive, free throw shooting.

THe only argument for Bryant is "umm, come on dude, he's kobe bryant! you cant tell me someone else is better! ive always believed kobe is teh best. being good at shooting bad shots is the most important thing in basketball! kobe scores 30 points on 28 shots. That's 30 points, yo! Dude come on, he's kobe bryant. Dirk's not better than him!"

umm....so coming off back 2 back NBA Championships...If Kobe goes to his 4th straight NBA Finals this year and wins his 6th title is that even more proof Kobe is NOT the best player in the NBA??:lol

athleticism is a small part of basketball...Kobe's mind and will to win is 2nd to none...and that seperates him from his peers more then anything.

whoartthou
05-03-2011, 01:57 AM
umm....so coming off back 2 back NBA Championships...If Kobe goes to his 4th straight NBA Finals this year and wins his 6th title is that even more proof Kobe is NOT the best player in the NBA??:lol

athleticism is a small part of basketball...Kobe's mind and will to win is 2nd to none...and that seperates him from his peers more then anything.

KOBE CHOKED SO BAD BRAHH..

NEXT

DuMa
05-03-2011, 01:58 AM
I love chuck but hes lost his mind a long time ago. he makes no sense sometimes. Kobe 6th all time? over Magic and Bird and Oscar in his top 5?

entertaining as hell though. hope he never leaves TNT until his deathbed

Colby Brian
05-03-2011, 01:59 AM

Sorry Chuck.

dirk is about 100 days older than kobe

but yeah chucks kinda crazy tho

rmt
05-03-2011, 02:02 AM
He probably means who will be the tougher matchup (harder to defend). If they have to play Odom starter minutes (and lessen one of Gasol/Bynum's minutes), it's LA that's not being able to play their best players, not the MAVs. So in that sense, which player is causing the most adjustment to the defense - Dirk.

I do agree that if LA is forced to play Odom more (Gasol/Bynum less), then LA loses their big advantage of the rest of the league and the field is even.

G-Funk
05-03-2011, 02:04 AM
Current Dirk in the playoffs has been better than Current Kobe in the playoffs. Chuck is just commenting based on recent form.
Mavs need a lot more out of Dirk...He needs to perform great or else they lose

catch24
05-03-2011, 02:05 AM
First it was Kobe is slowing down and can't score 30+ a game anymore (last year). Now Dirk is better than Kobe? I enjoy Barkley's sense of humor and some of his takes on the game, but this is just downright stupid.

AlphaWolf24
05-03-2011, 02:12 AM
KOBE CHOKED SO BAD BRAHH..

NEXT

your back Posting?....you were hiding out like Osama after Friday.

FindingTim
05-03-2011, 02:14 AM
Dirk is damn near unstoppable. Kobe isn't. Therefore, Dirk is better.

bdreason
05-03-2011, 02:39 AM
He's certainly on Kobe's level. I don't see what Kobe does that makes people think he's superior to some of these other NBA stars. Dirk scores at will just like Kobe, shoots as good as, or better than Kobe. Rebounds better than Kobe. Defends his position as good as Kobe... and Dirk's teams constantly have similar records as Kobe's teams, despite playing with less talent. Both have an NBA MVP. The only thing Kobe has over Dirk is rings... and Dirk has never played with anyone near as talented as Shaq or Gasol.

FourthTenor
05-03-2011, 02:43 AM
He's certainly on Kobe's level. I don't see what Kobe does that makes people think he's superior to some of these other NBA stars. Dirk scores at will just like Kobe, shoots as good as, or better than Kobe. Rebounds better than Kobe. Defends his position as good as Kobe... and Dirk's teams constantly have similar records as Kobe's teams, despite playing with less talent. Both have an NBA MVP. The only thing Kobe has over Dirk is rings... and Dirk has never played with anyone near as talented as Shaq or Gasol.

Well said, but the people likely to be kobe fanboys are the people likely to believe anything espn shoves down their throats. And ESPN always promotes flashy, athletic wing players.

Even when Duncan was clearly the superior player, ESPN was promoting Kobe as "the best player on the planet" and even when Lebron had clearly passed Kobe they were still trying to pimp Kobe as the greatest player in the league unquestionably.

Kobe has so many stans that the media runs with him as "untouchable" and that in turn creates more stans out of follower fans. It's a cycle.

Harion
05-03-2011, 02:47 AM
If Kobe goes to his 4th straight NBA Finals this year and wins his 6th title
it only proves he's still got the best team backing him up, that is all. i hate this shit fans pull when arguing about individual talents. counting rings. championships are a TEAM ACHIEVEMENT! hell, it's takes the whole team even the front office and the coaching staff to win a championship, so why add that to an argument about individual performance? you think if Mitch did not make that trade for Gasol, Kobe would be counting his rings post Shaq? fukc that. pull off your blinders and just evaluate Kobe's play and Dirk's play minus the rings. what do you get?

whoartthou
05-03-2011, 02:48 AM
Mavs need a lot more out of Dirk...He needs to perform great or else they lose

28/15/4.... id call that pretty great, no?

DMAVS41
05-03-2011, 02:49 AM
it only proves he's still got the best team backing him up, that is all. i hate this shit fans pull when arguing about individual talents. counting rings. championships are a TEAM ACHIEVEMENT! hell, it's takes the whole team even the front office and the coaching staff to win a championship, so why add that to an argument about individual performance? you think if Mitch did not make that trade for Gasol, Kobe would be counting his rings post Shaq? fukc that. pull off your blinders and just evaluate Kobe's play and Dirk's play minus the rings. what do you get?

You get that Kobe is better. But its a lot closer than most think. I will say that.

whoartthou
05-03-2011, 02:49 AM
your back Posting?....you were hiding out like Osama after Friday.

Huh? What happened friday?

Killer_Instinct
05-03-2011, 02:55 AM

You're trying way too hard.

Harion
05-03-2011, 02:57 AM
You get that Kobe is better. But its a lot closer than most think. I will say that.
career-wise? yes. now? hell no. Dirk is clearly better than Kobe RIGHT NOW.

IGOTGAME
05-03-2011, 03:35 AM
:roll:

rodman91
05-03-2011, 05:26 AM
Barkley says a lot of things.. :lol

But Dirk is one of the best players of all times, especially on offense.Unless major injuries, its not crazy to think he is or will be better than kobe in couple of years. His game never relied on any kind of athleticism. He is better shooter than Kobe and 7 feet tall.He has unstoppable fade away.Kobe's age would hurt his game more than Dirk's.

At this age,Kobe is lucky to play with great teammates & greatest coach.It really boosts his game.

Also Dirk has been always underrated even though he made Mavs one of the best teams in NBA for a decade, had most efficient scoring stats, earned MVP.

iDunk
05-03-2011, 06:12 AM
He just says something about the underdog or underdogs and hope it pans out so he can look like a genius. When it doesn't, he just moves on to the next one.

thomaspynchon
05-03-2011, 06:16 AM
Dirk has been better than Kobe for a while now.

The only things Kobe has on him are better teammates and an ability to whore out to the media.

thomaspynchon
05-03-2011, 06:19 AM

Sorry Chuck.

He's been better than Kobe for a while.

Brunch@Five
05-03-2011, 07:10 AM
Dirk certainly is a way more efficient offensive player than Kobe. has been better in the clutch the last couple years too. IMO he's more reliable than Kobe, and he makes far less mistakes, rarely takes/forces a bad shot and barely any turnovers,

Jon_Koncak
05-03-2011, 07:51 AM
Judging by the title one would have thought that he said Brian Cardinal is better than Kobe or sth.I don't agree that Dirk is better,but they are about equal..both top 10 players in the league.nothing outrageous about this statement

Bigsmoke
05-03-2011, 08:06 AM
I hate Barkley because he saids stupid shit thats coming true.

Batz
05-03-2011, 08:28 AM
Not completely outrages... Right now, the gap is very small to almost nothing. So Chuck isn't completely delusional.

Dragonyeuw
05-03-2011, 08:39 AM

Dirk and Kobe both go 33 around July/August, they're essentially the same age.

I'd say Dirk is closer to his prime than Kobe is to his. Less wear and tear for one thing. There's no noticeable dropoff( that I can see) in Dirk's game. Kobe isn't the same player he was 3 years ago. Kobe isn't going to be what he is NOW, in 2 years time. He will continue to slowly deteriorate physically( his skills and experience will keep him great though). Dirk is a jumpshooter, was never reliant on great athleticism, and I can easily see him playing at his current level till he's 35. The nature of his game is built for aging gracefully. Of course we all said that about Duncan too.....:ohwell:

But overall, Kobe is still better, but the gap isn't that significant. In terms of value to their team, you could probably make a case that the Mavs are worse off without Dirk than the Lakers are without Kobe.....

blacknapalm
05-03-2011, 09:13 AM

I'd say Dirk is closer to his prime than Kobe is to his. Less wear and tear for one thing. There's no noticeable dropoff( that I can see) in Dirk's game. Kobe isn't the same player he was 3 years ago. Kobe isn't going to be what he is NOW, in 2 years time. He will continue to slowly deteriorate physically( his skills and experience will keep him great though). Dirk is a jumpshooter, was never reliant on great athleticism, and I can easily see him playing at his current level till he's 35. The nature of his game is built for aging gracefully. Of course we all said that about Duncan too.....:ohwell:

But overall, Kobe is still better, but the gap isn't that significant. In terms of value to their team, you could probably make a case that the Mavs are worse off without Dirk than the Lakers are without Kobe.....

i really couldn't say it better myself. i'm glad you brought up the age issue since kobe is only about two months older. i've come to the conclusion that chuck isn't an LA/SA fan, but he still gets things right. he still speaks his mind so i don't mind. he's one voice...amongst the thousands

Ruutu
05-03-2011, 09:46 AM

CS

heyhey
05-03-2011, 10:01 AM
Dirk's game is more built for longevity. He will be able to get his shot off even when he's 38. He's like Larry bird but without all the nagging injuries.

So I think Dirk's closer to his prime too. and this playoffs Kobe hasn't had great 4th quarters yet

icemanfan
05-03-2011, 10:15 AM
This

Dragonyeuw
05-03-2011, 10:57 AM
CS

I'm new here....CS??

ATL_Bball_King
05-03-2011, 11:03 AM
At this stage of their careers there is not doubt skill wise kobe is better...But dirk is on kobes level as far as his offensive game...Cause dirks scoring is so difficult for people in his position...He is a 7 foot shooter that can make the most unconventional shots... So if you not blocking him then it should just bout go in every time... So offensively just how kobe can score anytime he wants...Dirk has this same ability and i guess chuck wants to keep thinking kobe is just old dust with legs that aint got enough gas in his tank to be on the top...

Sakkreth
05-03-2011, 11:31 AM
Dirk is currently better.

FourthTenor
05-03-2011, 12:07 PM

Can you explain why you believe this? What makes him better? What is the reasoning?

FourthTenor
05-03-2011, 12:08 PM
So offensively just how kobe can score anytime he wants...Dirk has this same ability and i guess chuck wants to keep thinking kobe is just old dust with legs that aint got enough gas in his tank to be on the top...

Did Kobe not really feel like scoring with the game on the line?

That wasn't one of the times he wanted to score?

Mrofir
05-03-2011, 12:09 PM
backs away slowly

DMAVS41
05-03-2011, 12:11 PM
There are plenty of reasons why Kobe is a better player than Dirk. But no way in hell am I spending my time today ragging on my favorite player.

Kobe is still better than Dirk. The gap is just not as big as it once was. But there is still a gap.

Dragonyeuw
05-03-2011, 12:23 PM
Can you explain why you believe this? What makes him better? What is the reasoning?

To be honest, I really can't give you definitive reasons beyond the 'what I see with my eyes' test, which isn't much of an argument. Frankly( especially at this stage in Kobe's career) I think they're in the same tier. I assume you ask this question because you feel the opposite, so I'll deflect it back to you. What's your reasons for thinking Dirk is better? For me, Dirk is one of the 7 best players in the league and the gaps between those top 6-7 isn't that big.

FourthTenor
05-03-2011, 12:31 PM
To be honest, I really can't give you definitive reasons beyond the 'what I see with my eyes' test, which isn't much of an argument. Frankly( especially at this stage in Kobe's career) I think they're in the same tier. I assume you ask this question because you feel the opposite, so I'll deflect it back to you. What's your reasons for thinking Dirk is better? For me, Dirk is one of the 7 best players in the league and the gaps between those top 6-7 isn't that big.

Basically:

Dirk is a better three point shooter than Kobe. He takes less bad shots, while still making more of the good shots.

Dirk has a better post up game. Sure, Kobe has a great post game for a guard, but Dirk's is still more effective overall because he can get a better look at the basket due to his size advantage. Plus, he pulls a big away from the basket and take him as far out as he wants to.

Dirk doesn't play with his ego and freeze out his teammates so he can take all the hero shots. How many times over the years have you heard pau, fish, odom, and phil all take jabs at kobe in the media for being a ballhogging chucker? i know everyone thinks the lakers only won titles cause kobe bryant was on the team, but i actually think if kobe was a smarter more unselfish player, the lakers would have been even better during those seasons.

Dirk's a 7 footer who can put the ball on the floor, who can post up and shoot an unguardable fadeaway, and he can shoot the three better than Bryant. Oh yeah, and he's a better free throw shooter.

You talk about this "eye test." To me, my eyes say that I constantly see Kobe rising up for awful, contested shots early in the shotclock and clanging them off the rim. Yeah, sometimes they go in, but even then, what else does he do? He's a glorified Rudy Gay at this point. He's just a guy who shoots a ton of difficult shots.

He's become significantly over rated.

rmt
05-03-2011, 12:37 PM
Dirk is a mis-match because of his size and unique shooting ability (for a big man) - Kobe is not. Dirk doesn't play "hero" ball and freezes out his team mates like Kobe does.

When the Mavs play the Spurs, they bring a whole other intensity and sometimes it seem like Dirk can't miss.

Dragonyeuw
05-03-2011, 01:09 PM
Basically:

Dirk is a better three point shooter than Kobe. He takes less bad shots, while still making more of the good shots.

Dirk has a better post up game. Sure, Kobe has a great post game for a guard, but Dirk's is still more effective overall because he can get a better look at the basket due to his size advantage. Plus, he pulls a big away from the basket and take him as far out as he wants to.

Dirk doesn't play with his ego and freeze out his teammates so he can take all the hero shots. How many times over the years have you heard pau, fish, odom, and phil all take jabs at kobe in the media for being a ballhogging chucker? i know everyone thinks the lakers only won titles cause kobe bryant was on the team, but i actually think if kobe was a smarter more unselfish player, the lakers would have been even better during those seasons.

Dirk's a 7 footer who can put the ball on the floor, who can post up and shoot an unguardable fadeaway, and he can shoot the three better than Bryant. Oh yeah, and he's a better free throw shooter.

You talk about this "eye test." To me, my eyes say that I constantly see Kobe rising up for awful, contested shots early in the shotclock and clanging them off the rim. Yeah, sometimes they go in, but even then, what else does he do? He's a glorified Rudy Gay at this point. He's just a guy who shoots a ton of difficult shots.

He's become significantly over rated.

So what you're saying is, Dirk's the more efficient player. I don't have an issue with that, nor do I really have an issue with someone saying at THIS stage in their careers, Dirk may be better.

FourthTenor
05-05-2011, 01:06 AM
:cheers:

tontoz
05-07-2011, 12:13 AM
Maybe Barkley isn't nuts after all. Major props to Dirk. :applause:

Jon_Koncak
05-07-2011, 10:59 AM
bump

AstralBaller
05-07-2011, 11:41 AM
Maybe Barkley isn't nuts after all. Major props to Dirk. :applause:

Barkley has been picking the upsets all playoffs

FourthTenor
05-24-2011, 12:35 AM
http://media.apocalypticfail.com/lulz/freeradical_detects_lulz.jpg

Smoke117
05-24-2011, 12:36 AM
Not really sure how Dirk being better than Kobe at this point in their careers is absurd...but whatever.

FourthTenor
05-24-2011, 12:38 AM
At this stage of their careers there is not doubt skill wise kobe is better...

http://loyalkng.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/hahaha-lulz.jpg

FourthTenor
05-24-2011, 12:39 AM
If you actually watch games and come up with the conclusion that Dirk is a better player than Kobe, then I question your basketball knowledge.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-O041k7nPQE4/TaieZSf1hOI/AAAAAAAAFX8/yGMGjqf_sJE/s1600/full_retard.jpg

gigantes
05-24-2011, 12:50 AM
He just said that Dirk is better thaN Kobe.. WTF
not that i'm a dirk fan in particular, but IMO now that kobe's knees are toast, dirk is absolutely better and more valuable than kobe.

far better with team chemistry, in so many different ways.
more efficient shot-maker.
better at the PF position than kobe is at SG.
better rebounder.
light-years more clutch than the current kobe.
better at shouldering the load of #1 scorer.

kobe is certainly (still) better at certain things than dirk is, but right now it's a landslide in dirk's favor.

FourthTenor
05-24-2011, 12:52 AM
If Kobe goes to his 4th straight NBA Finals this year and wins his 6th title is that even more proof Kobe is NOT the best player in the NBA??:lol

Kobe's mind and will to win is 2nd to none...

http://www.mnn.com/sites/default/files/Ronald-mcdonald.jpg

NBASTATMAN
05-24-2011, 12:54 AM
not that i'm a dirk fan in particular, but IMO now that kobe's knees are toast, dirk is absolutely better and more valuable than kobe.

far better with team chemistry, in so many different ways.
more efficient shot-maker.
better at the PF position than kobe is at SG.
better rebounder.
light-years more clutch than the current kobe.
better at shouldering the load of #1 scorer.

kobe is certainly (still) better at certain things than dirk is, but right now it's a landslide in dirk's favor.

I have commented on this and have admitted I was wrong... Overall kobe has the better career but Dirk is having a ridiculous run.. He made kobe look average when they played against each other and he may just do that to anyone who gets in his way.. WOW

FourthTenor
05-24-2011, 12:57 AM
I have commented on this and have admitted I was wrong... Overall kobe has the better career but Dirk is having a ridiculous run.. He made kobe look average when they played against each other and he may just do that to anyone who gets in his way.. WOW

Kobe's career has been about volume shooting and riding teammates like Shaq and Fisher to championships. Dirk redefined his position and has been compared to Larry Bird.

How has Kobe had the better career? I mean, if you're using the "titles" argument then Fisher and Rob Horry had better careers than Dirk too, right?

Kingwillball
05-24-2011, 01:01 AM

Listen dude U are on Crack if U think Dirk will outdue Lebron, Wade and Bosh..Miami is winning the championship this yr and maybe for years to come..

FourthTenor
05-24-2011, 01:13 AM
First it was Kobe is slowing down and can't score 30+ a game anymore (last year). Now Dirk is better than Kobe? I enjoy Barkley's sense of humor and some of his takes on the game, but this is just downright stupid.

http://jsgilbert.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Tombstone_.jpg

catch24
05-24-2011, 01:16 AM
Like the OP, I was wrong. Dirk has officially become better than Kobe, at least for now.

gigantes
05-24-2011, 01:26 AM
c'mon, kobe has absolutely had the better career than dirk. dirk is much better right now, and has arguably been more influential on the game, but kobe's career has been fantastic.

let's not go nuts, people...

FourthTenor
05-24-2011, 01:38 AM
c'mon, kobe has absolutely had the better career than dirk. dirk is much better right now, and has arguably been more influential on the game, but kobe's career has been fantastic.

let's not go nuts, people...

I dunno.

Kobe was always the 2nd option for the Lakers title teams.

The advantages that have always propelled them to the finals have been in the post. Shaq and Bynum/Gasol.

When Kobe was takin the shots with Odom and Brown up front, it was First Round K.O.'s..... literally.

Lakers Legend#32
05-24-2011, 01:50 AM
Dirk was better than Kobe this season.

gigantes
05-24-2011, 01:52 AM
Kobe was always the 2nd option for the Lakers title teams.
true for the first three, and as PJ pointed out, shaq should have been the league MVP for a good ten-year run if he wasn't so godamn lazy (and arrogant).

The advantages that have always propelled them to the finals have been in the post. Shaq and Bynum/Gasol.

When Kobe was takin the shots with Odom and Brown up front, it was First Round K.O.'s..... literally.
kobe was absolutely the star and the catalyst for the last two titles. gasol, odom, bynum, etc have never wanted the spotlight nor the pressure. kobe, as both an arrogant egomaniac and basketball assassin, thrived on any and all pressure. he was never a good leader, but under PJ's ability to skillfully manage a roster, he was absolutely invaluable and made those particular teams run perfectly.

and now his time is over and the lakers' current era is finished IMO.

FourthTenor
05-24-2011, 01:58 AM
gasol, odom, bynum, etc have never wanted the spotlight nor the pressure.

what do you mean they didnt want the spotlight and pressure?

did they not suit up for tipoff of any playoff games?

or do you just mean they didnt insist on hoisting bad shots in close games and trying to be the hero?

it's amazing how so many people feel compelled to take the negative stuff kobe does and try to make it into a positive by claiming its about "killer instinct" and "putting the team on his back" and his "desire to win at all costs"

but.... really he's just taking unnecessary shots. theres not really much admirable about that.

derman
05-24-2011, 01:59 AM
true for the first three, and as PJ pointed out, shaq should have been the league MVP for a good ten-year run if he wasn't so godamn lazy (and arrogant).

kobe was absolutely the star and the catalyst for the last two titles. gasol, odom, bynum, etc have never wanted the spotlight nor the pressure. kobe, as both an arrogant egomaniac and basketball assassin, thrived on any and all pressure. he was never a good leader, but under PJ's ability to skillfully manage a roster, he was absolutely invaluable and made those particular teams run perfectly.

and now his time is over and the lakers' current era is finished IMO.

Put Dirk on Kobrick's championship teams and he easily has 5 rings.

Dirk + prime Shaq + clutch Horry + refs = 3 rings
Dirk + Gasol/Bynum/Odom/clutch Fisher = 2 rings easily

Put Kobrick with DeSaganaDiop or Erica Dampier and see how many Finals he reaches. My guess is 0.

FourthTenor
05-24-2011, 02:01 AM
Put Dirk on Kobrick's championship teams and he easily has 5 rings.

Dirk + prime Shaq + clutch Horry + refs = 3 rings
Dirk + Gasol/Bynum/Odom/clutch Fisher = 2 rings easily

Put Kobrick with DeSaganaDiop or Erica Dampier and see how many Finals he reaches. My guess is 0.

bingoooo.

as individuals dirk>kobe

compare them with similar teams. kobe never did anything with the teams dirk was getting to the finals or at least win some playoff series.

JonnyBigBoss
05-24-2011, 02:05 AM
Dumb argument. Two completely different players. Kobe has the rings. Beat that without derailing the argument.

OldSchoolBBall
05-24-2011, 02:07 AM
Dirk this postseason is playing at a level that I'm not sure Kobe's played at in any postseason save perhaps 2001, and certainly better than Kobe's played in any postseason the last few years.

He is ridiculously efficient, clutch, and his decision-making and recognition of defenses has been sterling. 29/8/3 on 52% FG/64% TS after tonight's game.

gigantes
05-24-2011, 02:08 AM
not sure whether "lol" or "facepalm" are more appropriate at this point.

have a good night, boys.

chazzy
05-24-2011, 02:08 AM
There are plenty of reasons why Kobe is a better player than Dirk. But no way in hell am I spending my time today ragging on my favorite player.

Kobe is still better than Dirk. The gap is just not as big as it once was. But there is still a gap.
Lol at this Kobe stan. Dirk is better now, get over it. :cheers:

FourthTenor
05-24-2011, 02:09 AM
not sure whether "lol" or "facepalm" are more appropriate at this point.

have a good night, boys.

yeah you dont really have any arguments.

just your "common wisdom" that you feel secure with, being in the majority.

derman
05-24-2011, 02:09 AM
Dumb argument. Two completely different players. Kobe has the rings. Beat that without derailing the argument.

Horry >>> Kobrick. He has the rings.

FourthTenor
05-24-2011, 02:10 AM

Robert Horry has more rings.

Horry > Kobe.

Fisher has equal rings.

Fisher = Kobe

Kingsfans818
05-24-2011, 02:17 AM
it was blatantly obvious who the best player in that series was

Miserio
05-24-2011, 02:33 AM
Robert Horry has more rings.

Horry > Kobe.

Fisher has equal rings.

Fisher = Kobe
Rings as the 1st option
Kobe: 2
Horry: -7

FourthTenor
05-24-2011, 03:27 AM
Rings as the 1st option
Kobe: 2
Horry: -7

First option what? Shooter? LMFAO.

Kid thinks volume shooting is the key to basketball.

Go back and watch the video of every series the Lakers played in their recent repeat. Every analyst and reporter and commentator was like "the lakers clearly have an advantage inside with bynum and gasol. they need to continue going to that"

The only thing "first option" about Kobe was the slobbering of his nuts by his incessant fanboys. The media sold him as the biggest star because he has a built in audience of dudes who stroke their meat to him day in and day out. That's the ONLY "first option" he was for the Lakers in those titles. Their actual basketball advantage was in the post.

madmax
05-24-2011, 03:35 AM
First option what? Shooter? LMFAO.

Kid thinks volume shooting is the key to basketball.

Go back and watch the video of every series the Lakers played in their recent repeat. Every analyst and reporter and commentator was like "the lakers clearly have an advantage inside with bynum and gasol. they need to continue going to that"

The only thing "first option" about Kobe was the slobbering of his nuts by his incessant fanboys. The media sold him as the biggest star because he has a built in audience of dudes who stroke their meat to him day in and day out. That's the ONLY "first option" he was for the Lakers in those titles. Their actual basketball advantage was in the post.
:applause:
Finally ISH is gaining some respectability with posters like that. Kobrick Cryant is far from being a good leader or a reliable 1st option on a title team. Game 7 of last years Finals and that parade to the free throw line rings a bell? Chucking away any of his team chances in 2004? Doing a jack shit without a dominant post scorer in 2005-2007?
Gasol >> Kobrick as a leader and a player too:cheers:

hawkfan
05-24-2011, 05:02 AM
Dirk is better than Kobe right now.
Absolutely.

Quizno
05-24-2011, 05:13 AM
Dirk is better than Kobe right now.
Absolutely.
i think dirk is the best player in the world right now

konex
05-24-2011, 06:47 AM
Dirk has been playing one on one vs. midgets or slow bigs all playoffs (due to the Mavs 3pt shooting) and he still hasn't had to guard a scoring threat yet....

Andrei89
05-24-2011, 06:48 AM
i think dirk is the best player in the world right now

:eek:

miller-time
05-24-2011, 07:01 AM
Dirk has been playing one on one vs. midgets or slow bigs all playoffs (due to the Mavs 3pt shooting) and he still hasn't had to guard a scoring threat yet....

who were the midgets and slow bigs guarding him in the lakers series?

you do realise putting dirk down also makes your lakers team weaker by association? if you actually respected dirk and said "he is a really tough opponent" then your team would look like they lost against good competition. instead you're trying to make dirk look like a bitch, which means your team lost to a bitch. show your opponents respect buddy.

raiderfan19
05-24-2011, 07:14 AM
Pau gasol isn't a scoring threat? Does Dirk have to guard himself for him to get credit for guarding a scoring threat? He is without question the best pf in the nba and has been for 5 years.

Noble6-AC45
05-24-2011, 07:23 AM

so by this logic you are saying kobe or any of the laker players werent a scoring threat?

arent you supposed to be a laker fan? lol

konex
05-24-2011, 08:06 AM
who were the midgets and slow bigs guarding him in the lakers series?

you do realise putting dirk down also makes your lakers team weaker by association? if you actually respected dirk and said "he is a really tough opponent" then your team would look like they lost against good competition. instead you're trying to make dirk look like a bitch, which means your team lost to a bitch. show your opponents respect buddy.

I'm not putting Dirk down. He's an alltime GREAT offensive player who can't be doubled right now cos of the Mavs shooting. On top of that, the teams they have played so far have NO ONE who's been able to make him work on either side of the ball. He will not be dropping 40 on Miami, I promise you that...

ps: The Lakers were weak and they got even more exposed because Dallas is very strong at all their weak points (PG, bench, perimeter shooting, PF toughness lol)

d.bball.guy
05-24-2011, 04:14 PM

Sorry Chuck.
:bowdown: That's why I like Mavs fans, doesn't always favor their team/players.

flipogb
05-24-2011, 04:41 PM
Pau gasol isn't a scoring threat? Does Dirk have to guard himself for him to get credit for guarding a scoring threat? He is without question the best pf in the nba and has been for 5 years.
Pau disappeared long before the Mavs matchup, that Pau was worthless

creepingdeath
05-24-2011, 04:47 PM
Damn, this Aldridge guy and that Spaniard are really bad offensive players and weren't hyped before their respective series against Dirk's Mavs. Oh wait...