PDA

View Full Version : Ron Artest suspended one game for striking Jose Barea

OldSchoolBBall
05-05-2011, 04:03 AM
Shouldn't a one game suspension be mandatory for Artest after he clearly intentionally clotheslined Barea late in the game across the head? To my knowledge, any intentional contact above the neck is an automatic suspension. Will Artest be suspended for game 3? Should he be, based on league rules/precedent? Discuss.

thomaspynchon
05-05-2011, 04:06 AM
If he's suspended it could be a bad thing for Dallas

Toizumi
05-05-2011, 04:08 AM
Well.. it's up to the commissioner (and his team of course). I think he should be suspended for what he did. He hit Barea in the face while he was brining up the ball :confusedshrug: that's unsportsmanlike conduct and just a nasty move. I like Ron, but he should be suspended for at least 1 game (1 is enough in my opinion).

LA_Showtime
05-05-2011, 04:14 AM
It's all part of the plan. We've been saving Luke Walton for a game like this.

Walton's stat line after game 3: 8 points 3-4 shooting, 2 rebounds, 4 assists. :oldlol: Those are probably Walton's total numbers for the season.

Lebron23
05-05-2011, 04:15 AM
It was a very unsportsmanlike Foul.

LA_Showtime
05-05-2011, 04:21 AM
It was a very unsportsmanlike Foul.

I would imagine that Lamar agrees with you.

If Stern wants to help the Lakers he'll suspend Artest. We might even see Odom/Gasol/Bynum at once. Haha

MayCeltics
05-05-2011, 04:25 AM
http://i54.tinypic.com/2z6h1k3.gif

YAWN
05-05-2011, 04:38 AM
we can only hope. might as well suspend shannon brown too for good measure.

can we bring that D league guy that was doing well in the new orleans series back?

therammingman
05-05-2011, 04:40 AM
The way he's been playing, Barnes would be an improvement at SF

Force
05-05-2011, 04:58 AM
LOL @ all the late cameramen

comerb
05-05-2011, 05:27 AM
Shouldn't a one game suspension be mandatory for Artest after he clearly intentionally clotheslined Barea late in the game across the head? To my knowledge, any intentional contact above the neck is an automatic suspension. Will Artest be suspended for game 3? Should he be, based on league rules/precedent? Discuss.

If he's not suspended I'd be straight up amazed.

alenleomessi
05-05-2011, 06:15 AM
hell ebanks would be improvement :oldlol:

Floppy
05-05-2011, 06:18 AM
If he's suspended it could be a bad thing for Dallas
If he gets suspended Marion can guard Kobe all game long.

That's good imo.

Jon_Koncak
05-05-2011, 06:19 AM
check the deperate photographers on the floor,trying to get a snap of it,in vein as they've laid their cameras down

TMacsOneGoodEye
05-05-2011, 06:30 AM
That was just a playoff foul. That was Artest letting a little dude know he can't do that on the court, then the little man did it again.

That's the playoffs. Don't suspend Artest for that. Just keep an eye on him and be quick with the flagrants.

Jon_Koncak
05-05-2011, 06:34 AM
That was just a playoff foul. That was Artest letting a little dude know he can't do that on the court, then the little man did it again.

do what?bring the ball down the court?:oldlol:

there is no such thing as a play off foul,that is a wwe wrestling move.It'd be a scandal if Artest doesn't get suspended at least for 1 game

No_Look604
05-05-2011, 07:17 AM
wtf...that should just be a personal, nothing more. *******. I came in here thinking it was at high speed on some WWF shite.

Floppy
05-05-2011, 07:26 AM
wtf...that should just be a personal, nothing more. *******. I came in here thinking it was at high speed on some WWF shite.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZSje5VO83U

A no call actually.

Borderline foul on Barea's face.

chains5000
05-05-2011, 07:39 AM
http://data.whicdn.com/images/7795392/2gugmyu_large.jpg
At least, that's what it looks like.

MavsPoke
05-05-2011, 10:18 AM

That's the playoffs. Don't suspend Artest for that. Just keep an eye on him and be quick with the flagrants.
This mentality is bad for the league. Thuggish brutality is not what I turn on my TV to watch.

I want to see a great basketball game, not some dude trying to assert a false sense of dominance by cowardly blindsiding the smallest player on the court in a game you are getting embarrassed in.

That's not a playoff foul. Even the old school NBA stars wouldn't agree with you. That was just a punk move.

And I see you trolling.

PostUpBumpSpinJ
05-05-2011, 10:42 AM
I like the strides Ron Ron has made these past 2 years, and I'm happy for him winning that award... but this was a bad move on his part. He'll definitely be suspended 1 game.

kkling
05-05-2011, 10:49 AM
If he is suspended that is pathetic, I've seen much worse with no call at all.

MavsPoke
05-05-2011, 10:49 AM
I like the strides Ron Ron has made these past 2 years, and I'm happy for him winning that award... but this was a bad move on his part. He'll definitely be suspended 1 game.

I agree. I got a little sports tear in my eye when Ron won his first championship. I love redemption stories and was happy for him. Don't punk out on us Ron Ron. Be a man.

whinemore
05-05-2011, 10:53 AM
Mental health is a serious issue. To everyone that is hating on RonRon for winning the citizenship award should take a step back and take a look at how much he improved over the years. He obviously has issues keeping himself in check, thats why there is a coach that should of taken him out once he started pushing and showing(he had a rough foul or two before this). The game was already over. He should of been of the court, it was pretty obvious he was loosing it.

I hate the Lakers. But it's not Rons fault, he has a problem that hes been trying to fix. He does need to sit a game out and think it over, it will do him some good.

MavsPoke
05-05-2011, 11:09 AM
I love this interview with Artest.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FdW9sgWxyo&feature=related

I think Ron is not looking forward to his talk with David today.

Ashgar404
05-05-2011, 11:23 AM
Not only did Artest clothesline the guy he also kicked Odom in the balls. lol

Knoe Itawl
05-05-2011, 11:27 AM
Obviously he should be suspended, there's no room for anything like that in the NBA. Anyone who thinks differently is just an idiot. Simple.

dr8ked
05-05-2011, 11:38 AM
:lol :lol i know artest wishes he never auctioned off his ring.

JP275
05-05-2011, 12:53 PM
This mentality is bad for the league. Thuggish brutality is not what I turn on my TV to watch.

I want to see a great basketball game, not some dude trying to assert a false sense of dominance by cowardly blindsiding the smallest player on the court in a game you are getting embarrassed in.

That's not a playoff foul. Even the old school NBA stars wouldn't agree with you. That was just a punk move.

And I see you trolling.

Very well put.

JustinJDW
05-05-2011, 01:06 PM
Artest took out like two guys at once. :oldlol:

Haha, for real though, there are hard playoff fouls that occur in the intense nature of the game, and then there are just unsportsmanlike like asshole fouls that players do when they're getting embarrassed. That's what Artest did. One game suspension is warranted.

jb220
05-05-2011, 01:09 PM
...pussification of the league continues... wow how does that deserve a suspension.. its not like he fouled anyone important... u know bro?

Kellogs4toniee
05-05-2011, 01:32 PM
I think he will be suspended, that definitely looks bad. I'm not saying I agree with the suspension, but the way the rule is governed now, that will most likely be a suspension.

On the other hand, for those who are bagging on Artest's character. The man clearly has anger problems that come mentally and manifest itself through him physically. He admits it himself, and publicly says he's been trying to get help for years now. During this year and last year, all I've read is Artest's off the court contributions to charities, societies, organizations. He's only been a good team-mate, supporting the players and coaches even tho clearly his role has been lessened significantly compared to his previous teams. I can't even imagine the amount of hours he's put into therapy, relaxation techniques, and communication efforts to relax himself for the ups and lows of a NBA season.

That in itself, that effort, is what is commendable about Ron Artest. I honestly think he felt bad, maybe not for Barea, but for himself because he knew he made a wrong move and it was a step back from what he's been training for all these years.

boozehound
05-05-2011, 01:41 PM
I think he will be suspended, that definitely looks bad. I'm not saying I agree with the suspension, but the way the rule is governed now, that will most likely be a suspension.

On the other hand, for those who are bagging on Artest's character. The man clearly has anger problems that come mentally and manifest itself through him physically. He admits it himself, and publicly says he's been trying to get help for years now. During this year and last year, all I've read is Artest's off the court contributions to charities, societies, organizations. He's only been a good team-mate, supporting the players and coaches even tho clearly his role has been lessened significantly compared to his previous teams. I can't even imagine the amount of hours he's put into therapy, relaxation techniques, and communication efforts to relax himself for the ups and lows of a NBA season.

That in itself, that effort, is what is commendable about Ron Artest. I honestly think he felt bad, maybe not for Barea, but for himself because he knew he made a wrong move and it was a step back from what he's been training for all these years.
How can you not agree that its a clear flagrant 2? He makes contact above the neck and with no play on the ball. Dude will get suspended.

Kellogs4toniee
05-05-2011, 01:44 PM
How can you not agree that its a clear flagrant 2? He makes contact above the neck and with no play on the ball. Dude will get suspended.

but the way the rule is governed now, that will most likely be a suspension.

I'm not even going to get into the rules of a flagrant 2. Right there shows I agree that it will most likely be a suspension.

MavsPoke
05-05-2011, 01:50 PM
...pussification of the league continues... wow how does that deserve a suspension.. its not like he fouled anyone important... u know bro?

Please...stop...trolling...these...forums...

ronniec
05-05-2011, 02:39 PM
It was ugly, and it was a stupid foul which deserves a one game suspension, but no need to make it a big deal like Artest was trying to clothesline Barea...

Like quite a number of posters here said, we had seen something more uglier but got no foul/suspension.

Artest was frustrated obviously, and a stupid foul to stop the play... but you can tell he wasn't intentionally to hurt Barea... he was more like to injure Odom, his teammate though... :)

Gevz2kX
05-05-2011, 02:47 PM
the game was over, and there's no need for a clothesline to the face. Artest is a sore loser and deserves a suspension.

BarberSchool
05-05-2011, 03:10 PM
I love this interview with Artest.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FdW9sgWxyo&feature=related

I think Ron is not looking forward to his talk with David today.That was my favorite Ron Artest moment. When things go his way, he's just just a big happy child.

But yeah, I can only imagine Stern's Subtly vicious subliminals making Ron squirm today.....I hope Ron says fukk it and just goes in on Stern, like "ok Mr. stern, ok Mr. stern....". "But leeme ask you a question....I'mma ask you a question now, son.". "e'rybody know you Lyin on that losing money sh!t son, Y'all cooking the books, all you greedy Jews and greedy white men cooking them sh!t's no doubt" "I'm saying why can't y'all just stop stunting and keep it real wit n!ggas?". "Y'all some greedy b!txhes, son". "On my momma, y'all some greedy @ss lyin b!tches son". "Whatchu gotta say now son?". "Maybe I clothesline your little b!tch@ss too, whut whut?....whutchu think about that son?"

http://www.espn.go.com/media/nba/2005/1103/photo/g_arteststern_395.jpg

AMISTILLILL
05-05-2011, 03:14 PM
People arguing that Artest's move was simply a hard 'playoff foul' have to look at the picture. It isn't so much that Artest could have potentially hurt the guy. If the league doesn't hand down punitive repercussions for that sort of behavior it sets a precedent for other players. The last thing the league wants in a series already boiling over with tension (and I'm just talking between the LA players... ha) is a conveyed sentiment that overtly physical or intentional contact will somehow be permitted. Look at it in the same light as the early season technical sprees so many refs went bonkers with. They're sending a message early to keep things in line.

insidehoops
05-05-2011, 04:04 PM
NBA just announced that Artest has been suspended one game.

More info: http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/?p=7643

strike first
05-05-2011, 04:06 PM
:cheers:

Patrick Chewing
05-05-2011, 04:10 PM
Good. Now he has more time to work on his rap career.

DuMa
05-05-2011, 04:13 PM
well good i hate to think what some mavs players would do in retaliation if he wasnt suspended

talkingconch
05-05-2011, 04:14 PM
Yep, suspended 1 game

Pursuer
05-05-2011, 04:16 PM
Well, it couldn't get any worse for the Lakers right now. Let's see what they're made of.

AMISTILLILL
05-05-2011, 04:20 PM
Hah, perfect NBA.com.
http://i54.tinypic.com/e7f286.jpg

Faberg
05-05-2011, 04:21 PM
It's over for the Lakers, ladies and gentlemen. :ohwell:

konex
05-05-2011, 04:22 PM
Addition by subtraction IMO. Now we just need need Pau, Fish and Blake suspended as well. Free Trey Johnson!

nightprowler10
05-05-2011, 04:24 PM
Hah, perfect NBA.com.
http://i54.tinypic.com/e7f286.jpg
:lol

DuMa
05-05-2011, 04:25 PM
now this frees up Marion to guard Kobe all game long if the Mavs need him to.

this is Pau's time to shine now!

StacksOnDeck
05-05-2011, 04:31 PM
It's over for the Lakers, ladies and gentlemen. :ohwell:

Yes because Ron has been AMAZING all series. :oldlol:

d.bball.guy
05-05-2011, 04:41 PM
Lakers win game 3, book it!:lol

MayCeltics
05-05-2011, 04:46 PM
Just when you thought it couldn't get worse for the Fakers, it just did. :party:

pauk
05-05-2011, 05:15 PM
yep he got suspended just now...

end of teh world....

bagelred
05-05-2011, 05:18 PM
I wish he didn't get suspended. I didn't think it was that bad.

Kingwillball
05-05-2011, 05:27 PM
Well Some Lakers fans dont mind but it does hurt depth not having Artest when the Bench is Weak as it is..If Odom gets into Foul Trouble trouble the Lakers will be Screwed..

dr8ked
05-05-2011, 05:35 PM
the return of the beast known as walton has commenced.

Timofey Mozgov
05-05-2011, 05:48 PM

Lol. It's not just about anger problems. People get angry all the time. But are they always gonna go around hitting people? You can't act on your every impulse. Wtf is he, an animal?

Timofey Mozgov
05-05-2011, 05:49 PM
I wish he didn't get suspended. I didn't think it was that bad.
Well, they had to suspend him. Others have been suspended for much much less. Welcome to the ***** era.

Optimus Prime
05-05-2011, 05:53 PM
Ron Artest being suspended can only help the Lakers' chance of getting back in this series.

Hey Stern, can you make it at least two games, preferably five? :D

Derka
05-05-2011, 06:15 PM
Should have hit the little guy harder.

Da_Realist
05-05-2011, 06:17 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4vaNoMvoDU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiEhOc-HE1c

Things done changed :pimp:

Haymaker
05-05-2011, 06:21 PM
:banana: :cheers: :applause: :rockon:

Jasper
05-05-2011, 06:31 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4vaNoMvoDU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiEhOc-HE1c

Things done changed :pimp:

Different era in the NBA where Defense was superior to the game.. and the typical elbow and screens were in your face type play...

Today everything is weak as$ and the bottom line to Artest's high forarm is the fact it was totally out of frustration and tried to send an ill advised note to Jose -- -who basically whipped the Lakers As$ in the paint.

Artest knew Jose whipped the lakers ,,, and instead of getting away with words or a hard screen at some point , instead took a lame duck cheap shot , and now has put Lakers in a compromised position going into Dallas.
=================================
Past history when a player was dominating the paint , or boards the other team would set that player up for a hard screen or a double team trap to
send a message that that player was to watch his future moves ..
I am afraid modern day players and teams , don't send that message like past history has shown.

the_wise_one
05-05-2011, 06:32 PM

One game is insufficient. At least 10 games. We're talking a criminal here.
But of course he plays for the Lakers so he'll get off easy.

Timofey Mozgov
05-05-2011, 06:39 PM
Well, I don't know about 10 games. But Artest definitely got off easy with a one-game suspension. Repeat offenders should be dealt harsher punishments.

creepingdeath
05-05-2011, 07:00 PM
http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2011/05/05/artest-lakers-ready-to-move-on/?ls=iref:nbahpt1

Do you think it was justified though?
- Gotta move on, we got a big game tomorrow.
Doesn't your suspension put even more pressure on your team?
- Just gotta focus on the big game tomorrow.
Was the foul out of frustration?
- We gotta move on, big game tomorrow.
Did Phil and you talk about it?
- Well, we just gotta be game tomorrow. I dont know whats more important than tomorrow.
- We gotta move forward, big game tomorrow.

Broken record.

24r2
05-05-2011, 07:17 PM
Stern helping the Lakers :rockon: :rockon:

kentatm
05-05-2011, 07:25 PM

:oldlol: You have got to be trolling.

That was in no way a basketball play.

He wasn't going for the ball. He wasn't trying to prevent a shot. All JJB was going to try and do was dribble out the clock. You don't foul somebody like that in that situation.

SinJackal
05-05-2011, 07:27 PM
Last time I remember a player specifically going out of his way to foul a player hard at the end of a losing game, he got suspended for TWO games. (Horry hip checking Nash)

Artest and the Lakers are lucky they're only getting 1 game for this.

RazorBaLade
05-05-2011, 07:29 PM
i know that sometimes after these kinds of things the player isnt allowed to show up, since we're now changing arenas from where it happened, is ron allowed to be at the game tomorrow on the bench cheering?

OriginalNameGuy
05-05-2011, 07:50 PM
Ron lost his cool, kinda sad to see it had been a while without him having an incident

az00m
05-05-2011, 07:50 PM
the foul wasnt even that bad. that guy is to short he obviously meant to wrap him around the chest but he is like 5 foot tall

DuMa
05-05-2011, 07:54 PM
the foul wasnt even that bad. that guy is to short he obviously meant to wrap him around the chest but he is like 5 foot tall

so you're calling ron artest dumb for not knowing barea is that short?

oh the horror
05-05-2011, 09:17 PM

And today's rules, produce THIS type of fan.

Its funny but another member posting Pippen taking down Laimbeer when the Pistons and Bulls went at it...You see Laimbeer get up, brush himself off, and no one even batted an eye.

Now, this is how people act. :facepalm

Im not saying dude doesnt deserve to be suspended, but give me a fu*king break people.

sacredcow
05-05-2011, 09:19 PM
If people don't agree with the suspension then blame Artest for rushing the stands in Detroit and forcing the league clamp down.

LAKERSRETHEBEST
05-05-2011, 09:52 PM
I was expecting Ron to be suspended after that incident so no surprise there. It was a really a boneheaded move on his part; the Lakers already lost the game and there was only a few seconds left and he goes and does something stupid like that which might hurt his teammates in Game 3.

I'm glad it's not a two-game suspension like Andrew received when he hit Michael Beasley.

PP34Deuce
05-05-2011, 09:57 PM
Lamar Odom as a starter gives u more production than Artest. LA is not hurt from this lol...

LAKERSRETHEBEST
05-05-2011, 10:03 PM
If someone has to take Ron's place, I prefer it be Lamar Odom. He's the only bench player who has contributed in this series....the rest are struggling.

chazzy
05-05-2011, 10:09 PM
Barnes will probably start. The 2nd unit would be atrocious if they started Odom

leopoldstotch
05-05-2011, 10:16 PM
the lakers are short on the depth chart as it is. losing artest is a huge blow. it's going to be a miracle if the lakers win tomorrow night. if the lakers win, i expect better numbers from odom and gasol.

B-Easy8
05-05-2011, 10:30 PM
NBA has gotten soft that should have just been a flagrant foul nothing more. Doesn't deserve an ejection and definately not a suspension.

Holy Random
05-05-2011, 10:59 PM
Last time I remember a player specifically going out of his way to foul a player hard at the end of a losing game, he got suspended for TWO games. (Horry hip checking Nash)

Artest and the Lakers are lucky they're only getting 1 game for this.

They only gave Horry 2 games because of how screwed over the Suns got losing Stoudemire and Diaw. If they didn't get suspended I'm sure Horry would have only gotten a 1 game suspension. They tried to make it seem like Horry was getting punished more when really it just screwed the Suns over.

One of the many reasons why it felt so good to see the Spurs get swept by the Suns last year and lose to the 8th seed this year. Finally justice is being served to them.

OldSchoolBBall
05-05-2011, 11:58 PM
Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if this ends up HELPING the Lakers. Artest has been abysmal on offense. I think Barnes will end up getting good amount of PT and put up 14+ points; Barnes is also a good defender (not Artest level, but he's also younger). The only way this helps Dallas is that they can now play Marion on Kobe for long stretches, because Barnes isn't a threat to post up and bully a defender for points, whereas Artest is. What lineup do you think LA will trot out on Friday? Fish/Kobe/Barnes/Gasol/Bynum and keep Odom on the bench or do they start Odom and go with the three-headed lineup with size/length that has never before been seen? if they do that, Mavs should play their quick players/shooters (Barea/Terry/Peja/Dirk/Chandler) and spread the Laker defense out.

gilalizard
05-06-2011, 12:04 AM

How many games did he get for kneeing LO in the balls on the same play?

ICanDunk
05-06-2011, 12:36 AM
NBA has gotten soft that should have just been a flagrant foul nothing more. Doesn't deserve an ejection and definately not a suspension.
This.

keepinitreal
05-06-2011, 02:00 AM
That shove on Marion was pretty messed up too... NBA has gotten soft, but there's a difference between a cheap shot and a hard "playoff" foul.

creepingdeath
05-06-2011, 06:02 AM
Lakers fans ... :roll:

Pinkhearts
05-06-2011, 06:55 AM
Sinjackal finally showing his true blue colours as a Laker hater after his Spurs are out. And some people think he is a rational poster ha

InfiniteBaskets
05-06-2011, 10:21 AM
That shove on Marion was pretty messed up too... NBA has gotten soft, but there's a difference between a cheap shot and a hard "playoff" foul.

True. Where was this aggression from Artest when Barea was getting into the paint at will in the 4th?

If Barea drives into the lane and Artest wants to swing hard at Barea's arms, that's fine. But clotheslining a guy AFTER he already got fouled when the play is dead isn't a hard playoff foul. You could tell Artest wasn't maliciously trying to hurt Barea as a player, he was just trying to release some steam, on the verge of being down 0-2. But that play was not a hard playoff foul. Even in the 80s, people weren't smacking guards in the backcourt when they brought the ball up.

the_future02
05-06-2011, 12:48 PM
Laker fans must forgot how he saved their God in game 7 or against the Hornets. He will be missed for his crucial offensive rebounds and Marion is going for 20 in game 3 and Peja will get hot as well

d.bball.guy
05-06-2011, 12:57 PM
Laker fans must forgot how he saved their God in game 7 or against the Hornets. He will be missed for his crucial offensive rebounds and Marion is going for 20 in game 3 and Peja will get hot as well
Yeah. His offence sucks but his strength and defense can be important.