Notorious D.M.C
05-21-2011, 12:29 PM
"

FireDavidKahn
05-21-2011, 12:32 PM
Irving is going #1. Deal with it

moe94
He's going to bust hard. Cleveland doesn't deserve to be relevant anyways.

fatboy11
is this something Cleveland or any team should be concerned about.

Not in the slightest.

CelticBaller
05-21-2011, 12:42 PM
nope

BarberSchool
05-21-2011, 12:44 PM
Enes Kanter #1 overall selection.

50inchvertical
05-21-2011, 12:48 PM
I'd be more concerned about him not being a top flight athlete and the fact we're drafting a guy who played basically 1/3rd of the season and he isn't "Hollywood" enough to sell tickets and merchandise.

If I had #1, I'd go Derrick Williams

GOBB
05-21-2011, 12:52 PM
Enes Kanter #1 overall selection.

Damn Irving and Williams pulled out the draft?

BarberSchool
05-21-2011, 12:56 PM
Damn Irving and Williams pulled out the draft?:cheers:

Burgz
05-21-2011, 01:24 PM
you can't teach what irving has in terms of NBA potential
passing on him would be a big mistake

you can always work on conditioning

tomtucker
05-21-2011, 01:28 PM
What is Shaq

dunksby
05-21-2011, 01:30 PM
This is no problem, burning that fat is friggin easy for a young athlete like him.

noob cake
05-21-2011, 01:34 PM
lol 10% body fat is all of a sudden considered fat.

6'3" legit at 191 is perfectly fine for a NBA player.

wang4three
05-21-2011, 02:29 PM
And he's still fast as hell. When he sheds that he'll be even faster. Shouldn't be a problem. At 19, I could eat five guys everyday and still be able to lose weight. I miss those days.

utahjazzrock
05-21-2011, 03:13 PM
That's actually pretty good considering all the time he spent out with his injury. And 10% ain't fat.

franchise#3
05-21-2011, 05:50 PM
FAT POWER :rockon:

JMT
05-21-2011, 06:04 PM
you can't teach what irving has in terms of NBA potential
passing on him would be a big mistake

you can always work on conditioning

But in the 2 months since he was deemed healthy enough to play...and heading into the biggest athletic challenge of his life... he obviously hasn't. As a potential employer, that would concern me.

11 games of college experience, with over half of those vs crap opposition.

The next pick & roll...the staple of the NBA... he runs at a highly competitive level will be the first.

Coming off a serious foot injury.

The more I see this play out, the less I like the odds of him being anything special...and I wasn't that sold to begin with.

Black Joker
05-21-2011, 06:14 PM
you know who also has 10+ body fat, Derrick Williams with 10.8...

Edit: oh god! PleezeBelieve made a similar point, i must be going crazy

OmniStrife
05-22-2011, 07:54 AM
Glen davis has 10% fat. In his ears.

sirkeelma
05-22-2011, 08:02 AM
FAT POWER :rockon:
RIP Robert Traylor.

Hondo
05-22-2011, 08:38 AM
And he's still fast as hell. When he sheds that he'll be even faster. Shouldn't be a problem. At 19, I could eat five guys everyday and still be able to lose weight. I miss those days.

Not hating on you, it's okay to be gay.

Clutch
05-22-2011, 09:48 AM
[QUOTE=tomtucker]What is Shaq

bluechox2
05-22-2011, 10:18 AM
101% :lol

shaq utilizes a special type of fat, something no other nba player of the same size has learned to master.

(e)
05-22-2011, 12:59 PM
Dude missed a lot of time during the college season. If he hadn't been injured, I'm sure he would be right in line with almost everyone else. I don't think it's an issue at all.

Scoooter
05-22-2011, 01:24 PM
What a disgusting hog.

Burgz
05-22-2011, 02:44 PM
But in the 2 months since he was deemed healthy enough to play...and heading into the biggest athletic challenge of his life... he obviously hasn't. As a potential employer, that would concern me.

11 games of college experience, with over half of those vs crap opposition.

The next pick & roll...the staple of the NBA... he runs at a highly competitive level will be the first.

Coming off a serious foot injury.

The more I see this play out, the less I like the odds of him being anything special...and I wasn't that sold to begin with.

Toe injury, don't sensationalize

the 5 games before the injury he excelled in wins against marquette, Kstate, oregon, michigan state and butler, all tourney teams

when he came back he still played more than well

im not saying i dont question what the hell he's been doing in the last two months, but at the end of the day whenever he steps on the court he is a top notch prospect and you can't pass on him

there could be worse things than conditioning to worry about

JMT
05-22-2011, 04:18 PM
Toe injury, don't sensationalize

the 5 games before the injury he excelled in wins against marquette, Kstate, oregon, michigan state and butler, all tourney teams

when he came back he still played more than well

im not saying i dont question what the hell he's been doing in the last two months, but at the end of the day whenever he steps on the court he is a top notch prospect and you can't pass on him

there could be worse things than conditioning to worry about

Toe injury that caused him to miss, what, 25 games? I'm not overly familiar with his anatomy, but most toes are connected to feet. Amd, as anyone who has played basketball at a high level knows, the feet take a pounding unlike anything you can imagine. as Barkley has said "Most basketball players have bad knees. All basketball players have bad feet".

And he didn't play "more than well" when he came back. He was slow and tentative. The only game where he looked anything like a draft pick...not a top pick, just a selection....was their tourney game vs an overwhelmed opponent (first game he played).

His other 6 games were against Cal Poly Pomona, St Augustines, Colgate, etc. None of the games he played in was close (within 5 pts).

Yes, there are things worse than conditioning to worry about. I listed them in my post, which you chose to ignore and focus on the word "foot" vs "toe". He has never run pick & roll, has never had to be pass first, has never defended top flight players in a game that matters, and has a grand total of 11 collegiate games.

Burgz
05-22-2011, 05:32 PM
Toe injury that caused him to miss, what, 25 games? I'm not overly familiar with his anatomy, but most toes are connected to feet. Amd, as anyone who has played basketball at a high level knows, the feet take a pounding unlike anything you can imagine. as Barkley has said "Most basketball players have bad knees. All basketball players have bad feet".

And he didn't play "more than well" when he came back. He was slow and tentative. The only game where he looked anything like a draft pick...not a top pick, just a selection....was their tourney game vs an overwhelmed opponent (first game he played).

His other 6 games were against Cal Poly Pomona, St Augustines, Colgate, etc. None of the games he played in was close (within 5 pts).

Yes, there are things worse than conditioning to worry about. I listed them in my post, which you chose to ignore and focus on the word "foot" vs "toe". He has never run pick & roll, has never had to be pass first, has never defended top flight players in a game that matters, and has a grand total of 11 collegiate games.

no i chose to focus on his conditioning because that is what the thread is about

and the fact that you left out that he had one of the best performances from any player this year in just his seventh game in his freshman year proves you are just a hater

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-zOWfhQUA4

PistonsFan#21
05-22-2011, 05:35 PM
so what if hes over 10% bodyfat? A player like Derrick Rose is probably at 10-11% bodyfat himself and is still one of the most athletic players in the league. Its no big deal

Burgz
05-22-2011, 05:42 PM
so what if hes over 10% bodyfat? A player like Derrick Rose is probably at 10-11% bodyfat himself and is still one of the most athletic players in the league. Its no big deal

exactly, it's just another thing the media can use to stir up speculation about who will go number one

JMT
05-22-2011, 05:43 PM
no i chose to focus on his conditioning because that is what the thread is about

Then why say "there could be worse things than conditioning to worry about" if you've deemed anything other than conditioning unacceptable for discussion?

and the fact that you left out that he had one of the best performances from any player this year in just his seventh game in his freshman year proves you are just a hater

No, it proves that he had a great game. Players do that all the time. Shawn Bradley had a 29 pt/22 reb/9 block game in his rookie season. So anyone not loving Shawn Bradley is a hater?

I haven't made a single point about the kid that isn't a fact. Don't love or hate him. But as a potential employer...or somebody discussing him on a basketball forum, for chrissakes...there are some red flags that you don't have to be a 'hater' (the universal term for "I can't argue with you rationally, so I'll cal you this") to at l;east consider.

kaiiu
05-22-2011, 05:44 PM
No, it proves that he had a great game. Players do that all the time. Shawn Bradley had a 29 pt/22 reb/9 block game in his rookie season. So anyone not loving Shawn Bradley is a hater?

I haven't made a single point about the kid that isn't a fact. Don't love or hate him. But as a potential employer...or somebody discussing him on a basketball forum, for chrissakes...there are some red flags that you don't have to be a 'hater' (the universal term for "I can't argue with you rationally, so I'll cal you this") to at l;east consider.
So what team are u a fan of? Raps, Clipps or' Wolves :rolleyes:

JMT
05-22-2011, 06:18 PM
So what team are u a fan of? Raps, Clipps or' Wolves :rolleyes:

None of the above.

But thanks for asking.

Burgz
05-22-2011, 06:21 PM

no he didn't, that was his sophmore season

i never said it wasn't a "red flag" just not as serious as you make it out to be

and you don't like that I used the word hater?

well :violin: i don't care because right now that's what you're doing and if that's the way YOU feel about the word I cannot control that

if you have more to say, say it. this is, like you said, a basketball forum. :confusedshrug:

JMT
05-22-2011, 06:25 PM
no he didn't, that was his sophmore season

i never said it wasn't a "red flag" just not as serious as you make it out to be

and you don't like that I used the word hater?

well :violin: i don't care because right now that's what you're doing and if that's the way YOU feel about the word I cannot control that

if you have more to say, say it. this is, like you said, a basketball forum. :confusedshrug:

No need. I've made the rational points. You've used little cartoons and 'hater'. That appears to be the extent of your basketball insights.

Arti
05-22-2011, 06:27 PM

Right, because he didn't put up 28 points in 31 minutes on 9-15 against Arizona in the Sweet 16. GTFO.

JMT
05-22-2011, 06:53 PM
Right, because he didn't put up 28 points in 31 minutes on 9-15 against Arizona in the Sweet 16. GTFO.

In a 16 point blowout that wasn't that close.

Vs Mo Mo Jones who worked him for 16 pts, 6 assists and 0 TO in 28 minutes...while Irving had 3 assists/1 TO.

The same Mo Mo Jones who averaged 2.4 assists/1.9 TO/9.7 ppg on the season, and anchored what many think was the worst big time D1 backcourt left after the first round.

The same Mo Mo Jones who has already transferred out because he won't beat out their incoming freshmen.

It's not all about how well a guy shoots the shots a defense will give you when they're kicking your ass.

RedBlackAttack
05-22-2011, 06:58 PM

For every red flag, there are multiple good signs. For instance, people that tend to think Irving will not live up to his billing are pointing out his body fat percentage taken at the combine. But, the fact is, you can go over any player's measurables and find something that can be deemed a 'red flag.'

While his body fat percentage is high, all other things measured of Irving at the combine were major positive signs... Like the fact that he will be listed at 6-foot-3+ and 190, which is great size for a PG... Or the fact that he has a longer reach than virtually any other PG prospects that has come through the draft in recent years.

He was looked at, coming into the combine, as a great intangibles guy that probably wouldn't measure up with the tape measurer or the scale... Turns out, he is a physical presence along with being a great shooter, solid slasher, good playmaker and solid collegiate defender.

You can go through and point out the negatives for virtually any NBA prospect in virtually any draft. This kid has some stellar attributes, though... Which is what I'm focusing on.

He is the clear-cut No. 1 pick and I thought so back when I thought he MIGHT measure in at 6-foot tall without shoes. Now, I'm totally on-board... Guy is taller and bigger than Brandon Knight with a far more refined game.

JMT
05-22-2011, 07:11 PM
For every red flag, there are multiple good signs. For instance, people that tend to think Irving will not live up to his billing are pointing out his body fat percentage taken at the combine. But, the fact is, you can go over any player's measurables and find something that can be deemed a 'red flag.'

While his body fat percentage is high, all other things measured of Irving at the combine were major positive signs... Like the fact that he will be listed at 6-foot-3+ and 190, which is great size for a PG... Or the fact that he has a longer reach than virtually any other PG prospects that has come through the draft in recent years.

He was looked at, coming into the combine, as a great intangibles guy that probably wouldn't measure up with the tape measurer or the scale... Turns out, he is a physical presence along with being a great shooter, solid slasher, good playmaker and solid collegiate defender.

You can go through and point out the negatives for virtually any NBA prospect in virtually any draft. This kid has some stellar attributes, though... Which is what I'm focusing on.

He is the clear-cut No. 1 pick and I thought so back when I thought he MIGHT measure in at 6-foot tall without shoes. Now, I'm totally on-board... Guy is taller and bigger than Brandon Knight with a far more refined game.

Based on 11 games.

Look, I don't hate the kid. He measured well at the combine, which is great since he did nothing else. Not that he had much to gain by doing agility drills, but as a GM, I'd like to see that my #1 franchise guy has been doing his due diligence leading yup to the biggest athletic challenge of his life.

I see:

Extremely limited college experience, half against lousy competition

Toe injury that kept him out of 3/4 of his only season

Two months since cleared to play, yet doesn't appear to be in great shape and reluctant to put his agility on display

Has never had to run the pick & roll vs quality competition.

Has never had to pass first

Has always played on teams loaded with talent

History of highly touted but inexperienced PG in the NBA. More misses than hits. It's a position that demands a lot, well beyond just physical tools.

Now, maybe the positives you see outweight those negatives in your eyes. He passes the eyeball test, I suppose.

To me, it's a lot of risk for a team that can't afford to make a mistake with these picks.

Arti
05-22-2011, 07:12 PM
In a 16 point blowout that wasn't that close.

Vs Mo Mo Jones who worked him for 16 pts, 6 assists and 0 TO in 28 minutes...while Irving had 3 assists/1 TO.

The same Mo Mo Jones who averaged 2.4 assists/1.9 TO/9.7 ppg on the season, and anchored what many think was the worst big time D1 backcourt left after the first round.

The same Mo Mo Jones who has already transferred out because he won't beat out their incoming freshmen.

It's not all about how well a guy shoots the shots a defense will give you when they're kicking your ass.
Again, you show your idiocy. The game wasn't a blowout the whole way. Duke in fact led by 6 at halftime behind Irving's 14 points. He wasn't just racking up all of his points in garbage time.

Yes, Duke wound up getting blown out, so pin that on Irving if you want (although that's unfair). But don't try ignore that game so you can spout inane statements such as him not even looking like a draft pick.

RedBlackAttack
05-22-2011, 07:22 PM
Based on 11 games.

There have been No. 1 picks selected on MUCH less experience and with MUCH less tape. In the games that I saw, I thought he looked like a guy that would translate extremely well to the next level.

Look, I don't hate the kid. He measured well at the combine, which is great since he did nothing else. Not that he had much to gain by doing agility drills, but as a GM, I'd like to see that my #1 franchise guy has been doing his due diligence leading yup to the biggest athletic challenge of his life.

It is pretty clear to me that the Cavaliers have contacted him and let him know that he is the pick. What was the sense of doing agility drills for other GMs that are never going to have the opportunity to draft you?

Also, other top guys opted out of the drills... Like Derrick Williams.

To me, Williams had much more reason to attempt to impress at the combine than Irving. It is still very unclear where Williams is going to be chosen. He could go anywhere from picks 2-4.

He should be scratching and clawing to get to that No. 2 pick... Unlike Irving, who is set at No. 1.

I see:

Extremely limited college experience, half against lousy competition

Toe injury that kept him out of 3/4 of his only season

Two months since cleared to play, yet doesn't appear to be in great shape and reluctant to put his agility on display

Has never had to run the pick & roll vs quality competition.

Has never had to pass first

Has always played on teams loaded with talent

History of highly touted but inexperienced PG in the NBA. More misses than hits.

Now, maybe the positives you see outweight those negatives in your eyes. He passes the eyeball test, I suppose.

To me, it's a lot of risk for a team that can't afford to make a mistake with these picks.

The pick is a risk regardless of who you take. Williams is a tweener who has never played SF in his life, a position that he would have to take on the Cavs with our front-line set (Hickson/Varejao).

At least Irving has played the PG position all of his life. We honestly have no clue how Williams will stand up at the 3. Personally, I think he is best served as a PF in the NBA and sticking him on the perimeter will nullify some of his best traits.

But, it is hearsay at this point. We have no idea.

The same goes for Irving, but less so... At least there is actual footage of him playing the position that he is going to be drafted for. And, let's be real... Those are the Top 2 players in this draft.

So, which guy is a bigger risk? I think the answer is relatively clear.

Look, this isn't a perfect science. There will always be bust potential. I remember people on the old EZBoard saying that they thought LeBron was going to be the biggest bust in NBA history because of his reliance on physical attributes instead of a refined game.

I'm not saying that Irving is the next LeBron James in terms of impact... I absolutely don't expect that. I'm not looking for someone to step in and single-handedly save the franchise. I'm not even sure if I want that...

I just want a guy to solidify the PG spot for the Cavs going forward and a guy who can learn the system from Byron Scott... And lead a team that already has a nice amount of young talent.

He doesn't have to be a superstar for me to be happy... Just a solid NBA point guard... And I think there is sufficient evidence to prove he can be one.

PleezeBelieve
05-23-2011, 10:36 AM
After seeing he's 6'3 and has a 8'3 reach, why are we arguing the merits of Irving going #1? I was the first to question him bit after seeing his measurements, time to move on.

Time to get Burks now.

PleezeBelieve
05-23-2011, 10:57 AM
Oh and here's a pre draft workout vid where Irving easily dunks with his left hand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbrzfXAEzVM

UwishUhadWall
05-24-2011, 02:35 AM

Actually, coming into the draft Derrick Rose was at 4.6% body fat. John Wall was 5.5%.

Secondly, I'm not sure how anyone glaned anything from his measurables. He skipped everything but height, weight, wingspan, etc. No vertical measurement, no 40 time, no bench, etc. I don't think the little there is, is that impressive. The one that stuck out to me is his wingspan. It's only 6'4". On the other hand Rose's is 6'8" and Wall's is 6'9.5"

I think Andre Miller is a good comparison. Maybe a better shooter. Good but not elite.

noob cake
05-24-2011, 02:45 AM
Actually, coming into the draft Derrick Rose was at 4.6% body fat. John Wall was 5.5%.

Secondly, I'm not sure how anyone glaned anything from his measurables. He skipped everything but height, weight, wingspan, etc. No vertical measurement, no 40 time, no bench, etc. I don't think the little there is, is that impressive. The one that stuck out to me is his wingspan. It's only 6'4". On the other hand Rose's is 6'8" and Wall's is 6'9.5"

I think Andre Miller is a good comparison. Maybe a better shooter. Good but not elite.

lol Wall homers. Wall won't be able to touch Irving in 2 years, you read it here.