PDA

View Full Version : I'm planning on painting my own car, any advice?

enayes
05-23-2011, 08:56 PM
I have used google and read up on what I will need to do to paint my own car. I'm posting here to see if anyone has any actual experience doing this and if they have any advice.

My plan right now is to clean it, sand it, cover everything with tape, apply a primer, and then a couple layers of paint.

Jasper
05-23-2011, 09:01 PM
use a big brush :confusedshrug:

L.Kizzle
05-23-2011, 09:02 PM
use a big brush :confusedshrug:
Jasper is correct.

pete's montreux
05-23-2011, 09:05 PM
Please take pictures so I can see the disaster unfold.

Jasper
05-23-2011, 09:08 PM
I have used google and read up on what I will need to do to paint my own car. I'm posting here to see if anyone has any actual experience doing this and if they have any advice.

My plan right now is to clean it, sand it, cover everything with tape, apply a primer, and then a couple layers of paint.

I know one guy that is a pro and another that does it on the side , which has done the majority of my body work , cars , trucks as well as a suburban in about a week or so.

The most important thing is issues with runs.
Which means practice practice practice. If I recall they told my , airgun needs to move methodically and a good distance away. Don't use a clear coat , because it is very hard to work with , and runs will show up more.
If you have a chance , find someone in your area that is painting a car , and learn the technique.
My buddy has done a ton of cars... and he still generates runs.

johndeeregreen
05-23-2011, 09:13 PM
I'm planning on painting my own car, any advice?
You have two options here:

a) prepare yourself for a hellish process, because without any experience/appropriate tools for the job, it is going to be painful. Also get used to looking at your car daily and wondering what the **** made you think you could paint it yourself and actually have it turn out in anything other than a complete eyesore.

b) Pay someone who knows how to do it to do it.

PHX_Phan
05-23-2011, 09:13 PM
If google is your only source, then my advice would be to not do it yourself. At least don't make your car the first project you undertake.

enayes
05-23-2011, 09:24 PM
Just to add, the car is a 1998 Subaru with 150,000 miles on it, its currently painted white with a few dents in it. I'm not expecting a miracle paint job. I just want to go for it.

Marv_Albert
05-23-2011, 09:30 PM
Don't unless you want orange peel, runs, streaks, and no finish. :no:

Whiteness
05-23-2011, 09:42 PM
Don't unless you want orange peel, runs, streaks, and no finish. :no:

listen to Marv Albert

Mr. Grieves
05-23-2011, 09:50 PM
It's really easy.

1) Tape up windows (tail-lights optional)
2) Spray paint car
3) ???
4) Profit

http://aussiemuscle.totalnfs.net/models/topgear_alfa01.jpg

Rake2204
05-23-2011, 10:07 PM
Speaking of paint, I have a forest green car that's beginning to rust around the wheel well. I hear I'm screwed and there's nothing I can do with it. If I patched it with black duct tape do you think I could pull off the "ironic" angle?

enayes
05-23-2011, 11:21 PM
Just trying to decide on a color, I'm gonna follow this guy's instructions : http://www.instructables.com/id/The-Poor-Mans-Paint-Job-or...-How-to-paint-your-c/

Here is a picture of the car I have

http://file.kbb.com/kbb/nctdpics/98outback.jpg

Thinking about going hunter green

http://i40.servimg.com/u/f40/12/30/64/15/new110.jpg

or

Flat black with black hub caps

http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs236.snc1/8332_103366769674558_100000037056049_94392_8377072 _n.jpg

JMT
05-23-2011, 11:42 PM
Knew a guy years ago who used a similar process on his car.

We all still laugh and laugh and laugh at how badly it came out.

enayes
05-23-2011, 11:50 PM
Knew a guy years ago who used a similar process on his car.

We all still laugh and laugh and laugh at how badly it came out.

i'm better than any guy you ever knew, real talk

Whiteness
05-24-2011, 08:27 AM
i'm better than any guy you ever knew, real talk

then give us some before and afters

Godzuki
05-24-2011, 08:40 AM
Just trying to decide on a color, I'm gonna follow this guy's instructions : http://www.instructables.com/id/The-Poor-Mans-Paint-Job-or...-How-to-paint-your-c/

Here is a picture of the car I have

http://file.kbb.com/kbb/nctdpics/98outback.jpg

Thinking about going hunter green

http://i40.servimg.com/u/f40/12/30/64/15/new110.jpg

or

Flat black with black hub caps

http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs236.snc1/8332_103366769674558_100000037056049_94392_8377072 _n.jpg

You should go the flat black or something other than green. That green is fugly.

I think you're going to make your car look worse following that dudes method. Do it with a air compressor and spray gun, not a brush. Go to Maaco if you have to, but just sand and tape it yourself(assume everything not taped will be sprayed so be meticulous).

Rolando
05-24-2011, 09:35 AM
I've done a lot of spraying when I was a cabinet maker. Set your sprayer up for a high volume of paint and low air pressure. Your Primer layers are your practice layers. Don't expect the paint to cover up any scratches or mistakes. Put the time in that needs to be put in on repairs and sanding.

It is highly unlikely that this will come out good.

Don't breath this shit in. It is very bad for you. Use a respirator. Set up good ventilation and work your way "down wind" to minimize overspray.

Resist the temptation to pick a fly or piece of dust off of your freshly painted surface....always wait until it is dry....you will fvck it up worse if you don't

PHX_Phan
05-24-2011, 03:39 PM
Wait, you're using a method that suggests using a brush?

This will turn out worse than I originally thought. Post pics of the results, please.

enayes
05-24-2011, 09:07 PM
Wait, you're using a method that suggests using a brush?

This will turn out worse than I originally thought. Post pics of the results, please.

Will do. I bought the materials today, will probably paint it sometime next week. I need a few days of good weather. :D

Jasper
05-24-2011, 09:14 PM
Flat black is the easiest to work with , because if your strokes are not even the flat color can some what cover up your in efficiences.

Average person see's an older car , and really don't pay to close attention to the paint... but if you paint it flat black , it will draw attenion.

enayes
05-24-2011, 09:53 PM
I decided to go with green, it's a slightly different one than pictured. I like the flat black but I don't want the wannabe street racer look.

Marv_Albert
05-24-2011, 10:00 PM
This is going to be amusing.

Lebowsky
05-24-2011, 10:03 PM
I decided to go with green, it's a slightly different one than pictured. I like the flat black but I don't want the wannabe street racer look.
Oh please, please take lots of pics of the whole process.

Godzuki
05-24-2011, 10:06 PM
If your car really looks like that pic why are you painting it? That car looks fine.

If it is that same exact car, take some really good pics of the car up close so we can see the before and after. I really think you're getting into more than you realize, and it'd be fine if your car was a mess but that car pic you posted seems to have good paint.

NoGunzJustSkillz
05-24-2011, 10:08 PM
you guys remember the guy that put gas in his oil filler and came on here for advice? :oldlol:

enayes
05-24-2011, 11:18 PM
If your car really looks like that pic why are you painting it? That car looks fine.

If it is that same exact car, take some really good pics of the car up close so we can see the before and after. I really think you're getting into more than you realize, and it'd be fine if your car was a mess but that car pic you posted seems to have good paint.

The pic I posted is not my actual car. Just a generic google shot. My car has scuffs, a few dents and paint chips here and there. A sketchy green car is better that a white one.

I'm not expecting some amazing paint job. As long as the car is green I will be happy.

ballup
05-24-2011, 11:49 PM
Grab a large bucket of paint and pour it all over your car. Use your hands to evenly spread the paint.

Godzuki
05-25-2011, 12:05 AM
Grab a large bucket of paint and pour it all over your car. Use your hands to evenly spread the paint.

If you roll a ball from the roof down the middle you can make a ball trail.

enayes
05-25-2011, 01:02 PM
Keep the tips coming, I need all the help I can get.

Sicknote
05-25-2011, 01:27 PM
If you roll a ball from the roof down the middle you can make a ball trail.

Racing stripes!

J.101
05-25-2011, 02:12 PM
Must see end result this going to turn out well.

step_back
05-25-2011, 02:33 PM
Racing stripes!

This,

It's a known fact that racing stripes make you go faster.

SsKSpurs21
05-25-2011, 03:24 PM
post pics...you may get laughed at, but you will be an ISH legend! :bowdown:

enayes
06-02-2011, 04:19 PM
I think it's time for a little update on my project. Here's a pic of my car after I wet sanded it with 600 grit sandpaper. It looks better in this picture than in person, and keep in mind that the other side of the car has a dented front quarter panel.

http://i51.tinypic.com/2vxq88x.jpg

Here's a pic of all the materials I will be using to paint my car. Everything was purchased at Home Depot for a total of $67. I called Maaco and they're cheapest paint job starts at $350, so I'll be happy with anything halfway decent.

http://i51.tinypic.com/4lk3kx.jpg

I will be posting another photo after all my prep work is done and then of course a few of the finished product. I'm going to be painting it over the next couple days.

Eat Like A Bosh
06-02-2011, 05:01 PM

a) prepare yourself for a hellish process, because without any experience/appropriate tools for the job, it is going to be painful. Also get used to looking at your car daily and wondering what the **** made you think you could paint it yourself and actually have it turn out in anything other than a complete eyesore.

This.

Godzuki
06-02-2011, 05:04 PM
White hides everything unless you get close up on it, and none of us will ever see the paint brush marks and paint drips you get from a pic that far away.

you should watch Car Warriors. Its a awesome show even if you're not that into cars. That paint dude Rhino is a beast.

Jasper
06-02-2011, 07:21 PM
http://i51.tinypic.com/2vxq88x.jpg

This car looks fine to me ... why even paint it :confusedshrug:

enayes
06-03-2011, 12:27 AM
The car has been in my family for years, it was my mom's old car, then it was our summer car and now it's mine.

I don't like white, and I want to make the car feel more like "my" new car and not my families old car.

And like I said, it doesn't looks as clean in person.

PHX_Phan
06-03-2011, 03:33 AM
I didn't think I'd ever say this, but just take that thing to Maaco. Their shitty job will look better than brushed on paint. If you must do a Home Depot job, at least use rattle cans.

enayes
06-03-2011, 12:55 PM
The first coat will be going on in about 45 minutes. I'm excited. :D

enayes
06-03-2011, 07:21 PM
First coat is on and it doesn't look to bad. Keep in mind that I will be doing at least 3 coats.

http://i54.tinypic.com/161lu0g.jpg

Lebowsky
06-03-2011, 07:24 PM
First coat is on and it doesn't look to bad. Keep in mind that I will be doing at least 3 coats.

That looks awesome, maybe you can come and paint mine too when you're done.

Jasper
06-03-2011, 08:09 PM
It appears to be your car now :oldlol:

Good luck on the next few coats.

Has anyone seen a car drive down the road covered in a tarp , but has cut out windows :confusedshrug:
Lets hope for the best :basketball

DeuceWallaces
06-03-2011, 08:39 PM
That's great, it always looks like it's in motion.

Skywalker
06-03-2011, 08:42 PM
is this real life

Godzuki
06-03-2011, 08:51 PM

Takes soem closeups please. And i guess those are brush marks, and not shadows?

i'd laugh so hard if i saw your car somewhere randomly. I'd know it was someone from ISH :lol

enayes
06-03-2011, 08:58 PM
I'll take some close ups after I'm done.

enayes
06-04-2011, 03:50 PM
Don't be afraid.

Second coat done.

http://i52.tinypic.com/htxnhs.jpg

pete's montreux
06-04-2011, 03:54 PM
shit is gangsta

enayes
06-06-2011, 02:53 PM
After $67 spent on supplies and 18+ man hours I am done. I'm very satisfied with the outcome, hopefully it holds up to the weather, but even if it doesn't I can just slap a few more coats on. :D

http://i55.tinypic.com/zsn09w.jpg

step_back
06-06-2011, 03:04 PM
You missed a bit.

pete's montreux
06-06-2011, 03:05 PM
Damn, how embarrassing would it be if you're driving down the road during a rain-storm and the green paint is just running down your car on all sides. If I was driving by I wouldn't even know what to think.

enayes
06-06-2011, 03:14 PM
I don't have to worry about that, I used Rustoleum paint, it's an extremely durable outdoor paint.

pete's montreux
06-06-2011, 03:19 PM
Oh, good then.

DeuceWallaces
06-06-2011, 03:53 PM
That looks great. I'm surprised.

B
06-06-2011, 03:55 PM
Good for you :applause: :applause:

Godzuki
06-06-2011, 03:58 PM
How did you get it to shine like that? How did you get the over painting on the bumpers off? Any issues we can't see from the pictures? And what was the hardest part of how you did it? including how many hours this take you all together?>

unbreakable
06-06-2011, 04:00 PM
WELL DONE!

You should write a friendly tutorial because you did a great job!

:bowdown:

http://files.sharenator.com/everything_went_better_than_expected_RE_Few_Memes_ To_Make_You_Smile-s509x385-155629.jpg

unbreakable
06-06-2011, 04:02 PM

You got OWNED BIAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATCH!!!
:djparty
:banana:

enayes
06-06-2011, 04:19 PM
How did you get it to shine like that? How did you get the over painting on the bumpers off? Any issues we can't see from the pictures? And what was the hardest part of how you did it? including how many hours this take you all together?>

I used rustoleum high gloss paint, so it shines on it's own. I had the bumpers and everything taped up really good, so when I peeled it off today I had nice, clean lines. It definitely looks better in the picture, if I look close up there are a few spots where the paint is a little lighter, couple drip marks, etc. But it still looks good.

The hardest part was trying to get the paint to lay evenly, and the overall strain it put on my back and body. I had the peace of mind knowing I could put on more layers if needed so it was enjoyable for the most part.

It took me 4 days to do the whole process, some sanding, taping it up, painting, etc. I usually worked from around 12-6 on it, give or take. I'd say I spent around 20 hours working on it.

InspiredLebowski
06-06-2011, 04:22 PM
That honestly looks....pretty decent. I'm stunned. I think we got pranked.

PHX_Phan
06-06-2011, 06:05 PM
I used rustoleum high gloss paint, so it shines on it's own. I had the bumpers and everything taped up really good, so when I peeled it off today I had nice, clean lines. It definitely looks better in the picture, if I look close up there are a few spots where the paint is a little lighter, couple drip marks, etc. But it still looks good.

The hardest part was trying to get the paint to lay evenly, and the overall strain it put on my back and body. I had the peace of mind knowing I could put on more layers if needed so it was enjoyable for the most part.

It took me 4 days to do the whole process, some sanding, taping it up, painting, etc. I usually worked from around 12-6 on it, give or take. I'd say I spent around 20 hours working on it.

Should have used a spray...

AznTacoLover
06-06-2011, 06:54 PM
Wow.. I can't believe it actually looks pretty good. good job bro!

enayes
06-07-2011, 05:01 PM
Thanks guys. Hopefully it holds up.

Balla_Status
06-07-2011, 05:28 PM
not bad dreadlocks boy, not bad.

Jasper
06-07-2011, 10:27 PM
Thanks guys. Hopefully it holds up.

pic doesn't show it all , but it only has to plez one person - you

I guess the point to it was you probably don't want to be a pro painter.. but it was project you can talk about the rest of your life. :rockon:

enayes
05-29-2013, 12:49 AM
My paint job has held up well. Every now and then I have to go over a few spots that tend to chip away (near the windows usually) but the car is still green.

I'm thinking about painting it a different color this summer. Maybe orange.

BrentISballin
05-29-2013, 03:29 AM
You should look into plasi- dip

Balla_Status
05-29-2013, 04:41 AM
You got OWNED BIAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATCH!!!
:djparty
:banana:

He owned everybody in this thread.

DukeDelonte13
05-29-2013, 08:02 AM
Don't know what type of paint you used but i do know a good product that's probably the best for this type of application. Sherwin-Williams sells a paint that is designed to paint agricultural equipment, its super tough and designed to be exposed to the elements all day every day. I don't think you need to add any catalysts or hardeners to it, and although technically it should be sprayed, it can be rolled on. It has a nice shiny finish when it cures as well. I always recommend it for people that want DIY car paint jobs and they don't have a HVLP sprayer.

enayes
05-29-2013, 11:49 AM
Don't know what type of paint you used but i do know a good product that's probably the best for this type of application. Sherwin-Williams sells a paint that is designed to paint agricultural equipment, its super tough and designed to be exposed to the elements all day every day. I don't think you need to add any catalysts or hardeners to it, and although technically it should be sprayed, it can be rolled on. It has a nice shiny finish when it cures as well. I always recommend it for people that want DIY car paint jobs and they don't have a HVLP sprayer.

I used Rustoleum which is just like the paint you described.

AlphaWolf24
05-29-2013, 12:08 PM
I used Rustoleum which is just like the paint you described.

It will start to flake/chipoff in a year its paint for stationary items and weather proofed items....But not for a car. Your car is always in the elements and traveling down the road will cause regualr paint to chip off/fade badly

( also you have any close up pics?....looks suspect to me.....sponge brush?:lol ....how many coats did you use?)

enayes
05-29-2013, 06:32 PM
It will start to flake/chipoff in a year its paint for stationary items and weather proofed items....But not for a car. Your car is always in the elements and traveling down the road will cause regualr paint to chip off/fade badly

( also you have any close up pics?....looks suspect to me.....sponge brush?:lol ....how many coats did you use?)

I put three coats on 2 years ago and the paint has not chipped off. There is occasionally chipping around the edges but nothing major. I just go over these spots again when needed. The steps I followed called for mixing the paint with mineral spirits, so maybe that has something to do with how its lasted so well.

I don't have any close up shots and I don't feel like taking any. The paint job doesn't look that great in person, I'm not trying to pass it off as a professional piece of work. With that said I'm more than happy with how it came out and for $60(in materials) how can I complain.

flipogb
05-30-2013, 12:38 AM
flat with plasti-dip, peel it off when it sucks

AlphaWolf24
05-30-2013, 07:00 PM
I put three coats on 2 years ago and the paint has not chipped off. There is occasionally chipping around the edges but nothing major. I just go over these spots again when needed. The steps I followed called for mixing the paint with mineral spirits, so maybe that has something to do with how its lasted so well.

I don't have any close up shots and I don't feel like taking any. The paint job doesn't look that great in person, I'm not trying to pass it off as a professional piece of work. With that said I'm more than happy with how it came out and for $60(in materials) how can I complain.

:biggums:

That's what I was talking about...the edges are going chip....eventually leading to big patches.

I wanted to see " close up" pics because I was curious to how the finish looked.....I know It's not a proffesional finish....You used Rusto paint and a foam brush FFS...

but :cheers: to you for doing it....knowlege is power.

9erempiree
05-30-2013, 07:03 PM
I can't believe the OP painted his car with a sponge brush. Sounds ghetto but big ups to him for making it look happen.

enayes
05-30-2013, 07:21 PM
The chipping has been minimal. Very small pieces around the edges, mainly just by the windows. The paint job has never looked like it was falling apart which is why I said no chipping.

enayes
07-19-2013, 05:29 PM
My car is for sale! Here's your chance to own a piece of ISH history. If anyone is actually interested message me for details on the ISH discount! :banana:

https://post.craigslist.org/k/5JWNW6Tw4hG_3dICxHBdFw/8429s?s=preview