PDA

View Full Version : LeBron James is not as dominant as 2008-2010.

gotvtec
06-03-2011, 01:29 AM
This year with the Miami Heat, Lebron James has been playing really slow. He no longer drives the ball anymore, and he no longer could get through his defenders one on one. Is it me or anyone else witness this?

ConanRulesNBC
06-03-2011, 01:32 AM
Probably the reason he went to Miami. He wants to be carried to a championship.

Better than Jordan? Bullsh*t.

IN-PAX-WE-TRUST
06-03-2011, 01:32 AM
Huh? The guy is the same beast he has always been.

BallsOut
06-03-2011, 01:33 AM
He still gets way up there on his dunks as evidenced by tonight's game. I don't think he's lost his athleticism.

gotvtec
06-03-2011, 01:33 AM
Of course his shot is getting better, but he no longer gets to the rim like he used too. Its kind of sad sometimes.

gotvtec
06-03-2011, 01:34 AM
He still gets way up there on his dunks as evidenced by tonight's game. I don't think he's lost his athleticism.

Yes, but not as explosive as past years.

Theoo's Daddy
06-03-2011, 01:36 AM
Of course his shot is getting better, but he no longer gets to the rim like he used too. Its kind of sad sometimes.

No one wants to see lebron waving off guys so he can try to beat guys. atleast coach spo doesn't think it's an effective way to use him. They set picks for him he either gets to the rim or passes it an open man.

thejumpa
06-03-2011, 01:37 AM
Nope, you aren't imagining it. He's gotten slower and lost a bit of his explosiveness. Usually it happens when you get older but in this case, I think it's his diet and/or workout regimen. Getting by on pure genetics is not enough anymore...you gotta watch what you eat and continue to work out to stay lean and quick.

The funny thing is that he's a much better player than he was a couple years ago. Much better. It's still a bit sad, though. I remember seeing him leading a break and thinking "oh shit dudes gonna smash on someone". Now I think "He's probably gonna lay it in or get fouled".

gotvtec
06-03-2011, 01:39 AM
Nope, you aren't imagining it. He's gotten slower and lost a bit of his explosiveness. Usually it happens when you get older but in this case, I think it's his diet and/or workout regimen. Getting by on pure genetics is not enough anymore...you gotta watch what you eat and continue to work out to stay lean and quick.

The funny thing is that he's a much better player than he was a couple years ago. Much better. It's still a bit sad, though. I remember seeing him leading a break and thinking "oh shit dudes gonna smash on someone". Now I think "He's probably gonna lay it in or get fouled".

I agree, the man used to be a monster in the paint.

ShaqAttack3234
06-03-2011, 01:53 AM
Yes, Lebron was better in 2009 and 2010, but he's never been as skilled as he currently is.

Jacks3
06-03-2011, 01:55 AM
He's every bit as good. He's just playing with 2 stars now. He'd have no trouble going back to putting up 30/9/7 a night if he was asked to carry a team again.

cleveland
06-03-2011, 02:07 AM
he doesnt have nearly as much of an impact as he did in cleveland, but hey the guys got d wade n bosh on his team... i think it came expected

Theoo's Daddy
06-03-2011, 02:12 AM
he doesnt have nearly as much of an impact as he did in cleveland, but hey the guys got d wade n bosh on his team... i think it came expected

This is not right brah..

Mr. Jabbar
06-03-2011, 02:13 AM
hes just getting used to his new robin role :oldlol:

gotvtec
06-03-2011, 02:14 AM
ignorant awnser.

strifed169
06-03-2011, 02:22 AM
glad to see team diva lose today, soft ass pansies, lbj playing like a *****
when the pressure is on as usual

ThaSwagg3r
06-03-2011, 02:46 AM
His jumper is better than ever, but every other part of his game has declined especially his athletic ability.

jbryan1984
06-03-2011, 06:04 PM
His playoff game, he has turned it up. But........ coming from a guy who watches every Cavs game and prob half the Heat games this year, during the regular season he was def not the same guy. Not closing, not getting the chase down block done as much. Again though, it don't matter cause he has been great in the playoffs for the most part.

King Lebron LBJ
06-03-2011, 06:09 PM
Yes, but not as explosive as past years.
That doesn't mean he isn't as good

Bring-Your-Js
06-03-2011, 06:11 PM
He went from being a perrenial 25-32% shooter from 10-15 and 16-23 ft to 45%+- this season. It was wholly dramatic. Wade showed no such difference. But yes, he doesn't goto the rim nearly as much.

DJmicah
06-03-2011, 06:13 PM
Kobe never got used to his...
Wade either

LA_Showtime
06-03-2011, 07:30 PM
Yup, but he's nearly as good, because he's improved his outside shot and he's doing a better job at picking his spots. I'd like him to improve his post game, movement off the ball, and man-on-man defense.

Jacks3
06-03-2011, 07:35 PM
Kobe never got used to his...
Wade either
Yeah, he only won 3 rings, went to 4 Finals, and had the best season from any #2 guy ever in 2001...

ShaqAttack3234
06-03-2011, 07:36 PM
Yeah, he only won 3 rings, went to 4 Finals, and had the best season from any #2 guy ever in 2001...

And his 2001 playoff run was better than Lebron's run so far.

kaiiu
06-03-2011, 07:38 PM
Lebron will NEVER be as good as he was in 08-09 and 09-10. Hes still good but never as dominant..that just comes with the robin territory I guess....

Jacks3
06-03-2011, 07:39 PM
And his 2001 playoff run was better than Lebron's run so far.
Not sure if I agree with that. LeBron faced the two best defenses in the league and torched them both. He's also played great defense.

Samurai Swoosh
06-03-2011, 07:41 PM
Not sure if I agree with that. LeBron faced the two best defenses in the league and torched them both. He's also played great defense.
Kobe torched the Spurs in 2001, and they actually might have been the 2nd best team in the league that year.

Jacks3
06-03-2011, 07:45 PM
Is that as impressive as LBJ destroying the two best defenses in the league in back-to-back series as the clear-cut best player on his team? While putting up some truly great clutch performances I might add...I don't think so.

Samurai Swoosh
06-03-2011, 07:54 PM
Is that as impressive as LBJ destroying the two best defenses in the league in back-to-back series as the clear-cut best player on his team? While putting up some truly great clutch performances I might add...I don't think so.
Two best defenses in the league are the Bulls and Heat.

Celtics defense fell off big time as the year went on ... especially w/o Perkins.

And yes, it is more impressive to me what Kobe did in the 2001 playoffs compaired to what LeBron is doing right now.

Kobe was clutch in the playoffs too. And he wasn't sharing the "clutch spotlight" with another player.

Yea, Shaq was that dude ... but Kobe was the closer.

LeBron is interchangable in the role with Wade. Who also has been EXTREMELY clutch.

kaiiu
06-03-2011, 07:57 PM
why the hell do these idiots keep saying his jumper is better than ever? :oldlol:

His jumper was at its best in 09 and it was basically the same last year.
I watched every game by him so I know more than u bandwagon fans

Jacks3
06-03-2011, 08:02 PM
LeBron's numbers in the clutch this post-season blow Wade's away.

LeBron has been historically good in the clutch this post-season.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/miamiheat/post/_/id/8304/how-clutch-has-lebron-been-in-the-playoffs

Statistically, the Celtics defense saw no drop-off without Perkins.

They were still #2 in DRTG entering the post-season. The Heat weren't even close.

Heat DRTG: 103.5
Celtics: 100

Big difference.

And Kobe wasn't particularly clutch in that post-season. The Lakers were too busy blowing everyone out.

Samurai Swoosh
06-03-2011, 08:03 PM
And Kobe wasn't particularly clutch in that post-season. The Lakers were too busy blowing everyone out.
So that works against him?

Stats can lie ... best defenses were Bulls and Heat.

Jacks3
06-03-2011, 08:07 PM
Even you think the Heat were top 2 (which is pretty crazy considering the Celtics much better DRTG but whatever...) that still means he torched 2 of the top 3 defenses in back-to-back series.

Samurai Swoosh
06-03-2011, 08:13 PM
Even you think the Heat were top 2 (which is pretty crazy considering the Celtics much better DRTG but whatever...) that still means he torched 2 of the top 3 defenses in back-to-back series.
LeBron didn't "torch" the Bulls. He had some clutch moments in the series, but he wasn't putting up amazing numbers or performances by any means. He had a good series against the Celtics. But so did Wade ... as good or better, more consistently.

Here's what Kobe did to the 2001 Kings in the WCSF

35 ppg, 9 rpg, 4 apg

Here's what Kobe did to the 2001 Spurs in the WCF

33 ppg, 7 rpg, 7 apg

Here's what Kobe did to the 2001 Sixers in the NBA Finals

24 ppg, 8 rpg, 6 apg

As you were saying?

LA_Showtime
06-03-2011, 08:19 PM
And his shooting percentage against Philly was skewed because of his game 1 performance. I know people like to kill Kobe for shooting poorly in the Finals, but those three-peat performances are somewhat misleading since he got injured against Indiana, and only played in 9 games total in the other two.

Samurai Swoosh
06-03-2011, 08:21 PM
And his shooting percentage against Philly was skewed because of his game 1 performance. I know people like to kill Kobe for shooting poorly in the Finals, but those three-peat performances are somewhat misleading since he got injured against Indiana, and only played in 9 games total in the other two.
And consideing the REAL Finals in the first few years of the decade were decided in the Western Conference.

LA_Showtime
06-03-2011, 08:22 PM
And consideing the REAL Finals in the first few years of the decade were decided in the Western Conference.

It's amazing to watch those games now. I totally forgot how comfortable I used to feel with Shaq AND Kobe on the floor. Talk about next to impossible to beat. People kill Kobe for being a one dimensional player, and he may be closer to that now, but back then he was doing it all... scoring, setting up teammates, running the offense, playing defense.

Jacks3
06-03-2011, 08:24 PM
LeBron didn't "torch" the Bulls. He had some clutch moments in the series, but he wasn't putting up amazing numbers or performances by any means. He had a good series against the Celtics. But so did Wade ... as good or better, more consistently.

Here's what Kobe did to the 2001 Kings in the WCSF

35 ppg, 9 rpg, 4 apg

Here's what Kobe did to the 2001 Spurs in the WCF

33 ppg, 7 rpg, 7 apg

Here's what Kobe did to the 2001 Sixers in the NBA Finals

24 ppg, 8 rpg, 6 apg

As you were saying?
2001 Finals: 51% TS. Not very impressive.

LeBron put up something like 27/8/6/58% TS vs the Bulls (#1 defense in the league) while completely taking over the clutch in Games 4 and 5. And this while Wade completely disappeared for the entire series. You must have some some high standards if that's not "torching". Same thing for his series vs the Celtics. Oh, and unlike Kobe, those defenses focused on him first and foremost. The 01 Spurs were focused more on Shaq first.

Samurai Swoosh
06-03-2011, 08:24 PM
It's amazing to watch those games now. I totally forgot how comfortable I used to feel with Shaq AND Kobe on the floor. Talk about next to impossible to beat. People kill Kobe for being a one dimensional player, and he may be closer to that now, but back then he was doing it all... scoring, setting up teammates, running the offense, playing defense.
I've never though he's been one dimensional. Even now. And yes, that three peat team ... he was one hell of a fascilitator. Who also happened to have an uncanny ability to put the ball in the hole like a number 1 option on offense as well.

ShaqAttack3234
06-03-2011, 08:26 PM

Yes, but the league was better defensively in general then.

2001 Lakers playoff opponents defensive rating
Blazers- 101.8
Kings- 99.6
Spurs- 98.0
76ers- 98.9

2011 Heat playoff opponents defensive rating
76ers- 105.0
Celtics- 100.3
Bulls- 100.3
Mavs- 105.0

Kobe put up 29/7/6 on 47% shooting(56 TS%) vs better defenses overall than the ones Lebron has put up 26/9/5 on 47% shooting(58 TS%) vs. And while Lebron has been great defensively, so was Kobe back in 2001.

And it's true that Lebron is the primary focus of opposing defenses, but he still has Wade AND Bosh to relieve some of the pressure.

Samurai Swoosh
06-03-2011, 08:27 PM
2001 Finals: 51% TS. Not very impressive.
It's skewed by a bad game 1.

No comment about the other series?

All of which are superior to what LeBron has done this year.

Wade disappeared for a lot of the Bulls series. Yet still came up clutch both offensively and defensively.

His clutch 4 point play is basically what won the Heat the game in game 5 in Chicago.

And Wade was better in the Celtics series.

LMAO @ LeBron being the "focus" ...

They are 1a and 1b all year.

Oh yea, and a star @ 3rd option to help relieve stress, who has also come up big during these playoffs.

Spurs may have been more focused on Shaq, but they certainly didn't learn their lesson seeing as Kobe decimated the Kings, then proceeded to do the same thing against them. And outplayed Shaq in that series.

:pimp:

Eat Like A Bosh
06-03-2011, 08:27 PM
I don't think he has gotten any worse. He still throws in a monster dunk every once so often. He might be pacing himself. He's only 26, it's too early too talk about a real decline.

Jacks3
06-03-2011, 08:28 PM
You can't compare DRTG's like that. You can only compare it relative to the league in that year.

LA_Showtime
06-03-2011, 08:30 PM
I don't think he has gotten any worse. He still throws in a monster dunk every once so often. He might be pacing himself. He's only 26, it's too early too talk about a real decline.

Nah, he's clearly declined athletically. He's not as explosive and it's painfully obvious whenever he drives to the rim. If he manages to get by his defender, which rarely happens anymore, then he usually goes up for a shot and puts up a terrible lay up that used to be an automatic finish. He's also noticeably less agile.

If the Heat had the LeBron of a year or two ago this team would be next to impossible, despite every flaw they have.

ShaqAttack3234
06-03-2011, 08:32 PM
You can't compare DRTG's like that. You can only compare it relative to the league in that year.

Well, in that case, you can't just compare the numbers either. You've called '99-'04 the toughest defensive era(and I agree), so shouldn't that be a factor? And the Spurs were the best defensive team that year, while the Sixers were top 5 and had a defensive rating pretty close to the Spurs.

Samurai Swoosh
06-03-2011, 08:33 PM
Nah, he's clearly declined athletically. He's not as explosive and it's painfully obvious whenever he drives to the rim. If he manages to get by his defender, which rarely happens anymore, then he usually goes up for a shot and puts up a terrible lay up that used to be an automatic finish. He's also noticeably less agile.
Very much so ..

If the Heat had the LeBron of a year or two ago this team would be next to impossible, despite every flaw they have.
Yea, that would've been scary.

Jacks3
06-03-2011, 08:34 PM
It's skewed by a bad game 1.

No comment about the other series?

All of which are superior to what LeBron has done this year.

Wade disappeared for a lot of the Bulls series. Yet still came up clutch both offensively and defensively.

His clutch 4 point play is basically what won the Heat the game in game 5 in Chicago.

And Wade was better in the Celtics series.

LMAO @ LeBron being the "focus" ...

They are 1a and 1b all year.

Oh yea, and a star @ 3rd option to help relieve stress, who has also come up big during these playoffs.

Spurs may have been more focused on Shaq, but they certainly didn't learn their lesson seeing as Kobe decimated the Kings, then proceeded to do the same thing against them. And outplayed Shaq in that series.

:pimp:
lol sorry but you can't just take away games. Facts are facts. His TS% for the series was 51%.

LeBron was the one taking over those games in the Bulls series, not Wade. Wade making a couple of nice plays doesn't excuse his overall horrible play. 18 PPG/5 TOV/50% TS.

Wade wasn't indisputably better in the Celtics series. It's arguable. And it doesn't change the fact that LeBron has easily outplayed him in the post-season and it hasn't even been close.

And yeah, LeBron was clearly getting more defensive attention than what Kobe saw. That's a fact.

Nash
06-03-2011, 09:17 PM
Dude is only 26 years old. You guys are crazy. Nobody loses their athletism at 26, especially not preffesional athletes and freak of nature like Lebron. The dude would have to stop training all together and start eating junk food for him to lose his athletism at 26.

Indian guy
06-03-2011, 10:40 PM
I find it funny that Miami has to lose for a thread like this to be made. As if LeBron's regression hasn't been dead obvious even when Miami was winning.

LeBron's not even 90% the player he was the last 2 seasons. His jumper's better, sure, but when it's not falling, he has no hope of scoring the ball. That's such a humongous flaw in a 26 year old's game. The man just can't drive the ball anymore. Considering even as recently as 07-08 he was little beyond a dominant slasher, it's downright depressing how much his body has fallen off.

kaiiu
06-03-2011, 10:45 PM
I find it funny that Miami has to lose for a thread like this to be made. As if LeBron's regression hasn't been dead obvious even when Miami was winning.

LeBron's not even 90% the player he was the last 2 seasons. His jumper's better, sure, but when it's not falling, he has no hope of scoring the ball. That's such a humongous flaw in a 26 year old's game. The man just can't drive the ball anymore. Considering even as recently as 07-08 he was little beyond a dominant slasher, it's downright depressing how much his body has fallen off.
why the hell do ppl keep saying this. 09 was his best season as a shooter. He was good last year to. To be honest he gets more space on his jumpers than he did 08-09, 09-10.

Indian guy
06-03-2011, 10:54 PM
Yes, but the league was better defensively in general then.

2001 Lakers playoff opponents defensive rating
Blazers- 101.8
Kings- 99.6
Spurs- 98.0
76ers- 98.9

2011 Heat playoff opponents defensive rating
76ers- 105.0
Celtics- 100.3
Bulls- 100.3
Mavs- 105.0

Defensive Rating is a horrible way of comparing defenses across eras. Are you seriously trying to imply '01 Blazers and Kings were better defensive teams than '11 Celtics and Bulls? I surely hope not.

GiveItToBurrito
06-03-2011, 10:58 PM
This year with the Miami Heat, Lebron James has been playing really slow. He no longer drives the ball anymore, and he no longer could get through his defenders one on one. Is it me or anyone else witness this?

I disagree. I think he's seemed worse on offense since not every play is run through him and he's not playing with three 40+ three point shooters and a great off-the-ball cutting center, but that's just a matter of circumstances. Remember how Kobe scored 35 a game that one year? It wasn't because he was any better or worse than he'd been before or after, it was just that he had to use up every possession and everyone on the floor was there solely to make his life easier.

theaussieguy
06-03-2011, 11:12 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6j5CuLkAjc
Wow, after watching this video it is clearly evident that Lebron has changed physically, however i think it is mainly due to his increased weight which impacts his agility, quicks and overall nimbleness on his feet.

Despite this, i highly doubt Lebron has declined 'athletically' so to speak, but his muscle gain just makes him seem less bouncy than a couple of years ago. It surely hasn't effected his fast break however.

Play 6 in the vid shows what i am talking about

edit: OK a pattern is emerging here.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRKuBAciLlk

the first vid was 09, this was the 08 season, and his athleticism here is just insane, definately a step above what i have ever seen

sh0wtime
06-03-2011, 11:20 PM
Sorry, i completely disagree. Its not even scientifically possible to lose athleticism or domination or whatever in just a few months at an age of 26 (unless that human got injured or stopped training).

The only difference between Cavs Lebron and this Lebron is the jersey and the jersey number and ofcourse the fact of him not having to be a one man army anymore, having to share the ball with two other superstars, which means less dunks, points, rebounds, assists, blocks, steals, triple doubles, double doubles, 50 point games, less highlights..... simply less situations where he can showcase his talent-skill (yes including less of that what you are talking about).

At the end of the day, its about championships and he made that sacrifice. So you go ahead and watch old tapes of one man army rambo offense Lebron, ending up ringless because he had no help and ill stick to watching this successful Lebron.

theaussieguy
06-03-2011, 11:28 PM
Sorry, i completely disagree. Its not even scientifically possible to lose athleticism or domination or whatever in just a few months at an age of 26 (unless that human got injured or stopped training).

The only difference between Cavs Lebron and this Lebron is the jersey and the jersey number and ofcourse the fact of him not having to be a one man army anymore, having to share the ball with two other superstars, which means less dunks, points, rebounds, assists, blocks, steals, triple doubles, double doubles, 50 point games, less highlights..... simply less situations where he can showcase his talent-skill (yes including less of that what you are talking about).

At the end of the day, its about championships and he made that sacrifice. So you go ahead and watch old tapes of one man army rambo offense Lebron, ending up ringless because he had no help and ill stick to watching this successful Lebron.

wow strong off tangent

DJmicah
06-03-2011, 11:40 PM
you forgot pissing off shaq trying to be the man,making him leave and ballhogging to this day

Indian guy
06-03-2011, 11:42 PM
It surely hasn't effected his fast break however.

He's still a strong threat in terms of filling the lanes, yes, but his coast-to-coast days are over. Doesn't have the same speed and more importantly, due to the excessive weight he just can't change direction once he's ahead full steam. It makes him very liable to commit charges and that's what happened this season - his turnover % on fast breaks was a career worst. He doesn't even attempt going end-to-end anymore.

LeBron has lost 20-25% of his ability this season compared to last. The most noticeable is his quickness/agility. He's just so damn slow and can't get past anyone in the half-court. That's the biggest flaw in his game and THE REASON why he goes through long stretches now where he can't score the ball. Nothing comes easy.

It's hilarious how often during this postseason I've read that LeBron's currently playing the best ball of his career. All because he's winning. His numbers are down across the board, he looks VISIBLY less capable out there, but since he's racking up W's, he's supposedly better than ever. It's a joke and I've made it my mission ALL SEASON to prove it's a joke. I shudder to imagine current LeBron on the last 2 Cleveland teams.

LA_Showtime
06-03-2011, 11:45 PM
20-25% of his athletic ability? You gotta be kidding me. More like 5-10%.

There are countless examples of LeBron being less explosive, but people who don't believe it need to watch what happens when he drives to the paint and big men challenge him. He used to rise above them and dunk or lay it in. Anymore he goes up, they go up, and he ends up throwing up a wild lay up.

Indian guy
06-03-2011, 11:50 PM
20-25% of his athletic ability? You gotta be kidding me. More like 5-10%.

Dude, 5-10% wouldn't even be noticeable. If the regression was that minimal then he wouldn't have been struggling to beat defenders off-the-dribble. He wouldn't have been struggling to explode in the paint. He would've more or less remained the same player.

My estimation of 20-25% is a lot more accurate. It makes sense of what's actually happening on the court.

ShaqAttack3234
06-03-2011, 11:57 PM
Defensive Rating is a horrible way of comparing defenses across eras. Are you seriously trying to imply '01 Blazers and Kings were better defensive teams than '11 Celtics and Bulls? I surely hope not.

The league was stronger defensively in general in '01, and it was noticeable.

Scoooter
06-04-2011, 12:00 AM
He needs to lose some weight. I know he's probably already got an enviably low body fat percentage, but shaving 10-12 pounds might do him a lot of good. He looks stiff out there.

Indian guy
06-04-2011, 12:04 AM
The league was stronger defensively in general in '01, and it was noticeable.

True, but Defensive Rating is still a HORRIBLE tool to compare defenses across eras. More than half the teams over the past decade have better defensive ratings than the late 80's Pistons and early 90's Bulls. Does that mean Pistons and Bulls would just be middle-of-the-pack today? HELL NO. Defensive rank during YOUR respective season is a far more accurate way of judging a defensive team's effectiveness, and by that measure, LeBron's played against significantly better defensive teams this postseason than Kobe in '01. It should go without saying. #1 and #2 ranked Chicago & Boston are a heck of a lot more potent defensively than the freaking Kings & Blazers.

That said, I DO NOT think current LeBron is better than '01 Kobe. In fact, I'd say a lot of versions of Kobe are better than current LeBron.

kaiiu
06-04-2011, 12:34 AM
weight aint the problem. He been the same size since 06. To bad u will NEVER see games and basket attacking like this again

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsCA9lZNlpY&feature=player_detailpage:bowdown:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNC1BVdtrs0&feature=player_detailpage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uA9ruQJ-STk&feature=player_detailpage:bowdown:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaEYRl1u2o4&feature=player_detailpage
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1n02fVN4A94&feature=player_detailpage

just last year
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJC1UXwu5u8&feature=player_detailpage

ShaqAttack3234
06-04-2011, 12:49 AM
True, but Defensive Rating is still a HORRIBLE tool to compare defenses across eras. More than half the teams over the past decade have better defensive ratings than the late 80's Pistons and early 90's Bulls. Does that mean Pistons and Bulls would just be middle-of-the-pack today? HELL NO. Defensive rank during YOUR respective season is a far more accurate way of judging a defensive team's effectiveness, and by that measure, LeBron's played against significantly better defensive teams this postseason than Kobe in '01. It should go without saying. #1 and #2 ranked Chicago & Boston are a heck of a lot more potent defensively than the freaking Kings & Blazers.

That said, I DO NOT think current LeBron is better than '01 Kobe. In fact, I'd say a lot of versions of Kobe are better than current LeBron.

I don't understand this logic at all. If 2001 was a tougher defensive era as you agreed then how does Chicago and Boston ranking a certain way compared to their peers make them tougher to put up numbers against than high ranked defenses in a tougher defensive era?

If we're judging a team's defense historically, then yes, how they stacked up against their peers would matter, and you could say that Boston and Chicago would have been as good or better in 2001 under 2001 rules(though that's subjective), but in terms of putting up numbers against the team? It's irrelevant.

And the '01 Spurs and Sixers were obviously great defensive teams, I knew that at the time before even knowing what the hell defensive rating was. Portland always seemed like a good defensive team as well, admittedly I didn't remember the Kings being as good as their defensive rating suggests, but their great offense, faster pace and reputation as a soft team due to Vlade's floppy and C-Webb's love of jumpers may have something to do with my memory.

Indian guy
06-04-2011, 01:06 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsCA9lZNlpY&feature=player_detailpage:bowdown:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNC1BVdtrs0&feature=player_detailpage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uA9ruQJ-STk&feature=player_detailpage:bowdown:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaEYRl1u2o4&feature=player_detailpage
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1n02fVN4A94&feature=player_detailpage

just last year
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJC1UXwu5u8&feature=player_detailpage

I don't know how anyone can watch these videos and pretend LeBron's still the same. He can't do half the things anymore he's doing in these clips.

kaiiu
06-04-2011, 01:09 AM
I don't know how anyone can watch these videos and pretend LeBron's still the same. He can't do half the things anymore he's doing in these clips.
those are just some of the ones lef ton youtube. It seems like most of his cavs games are deleted off youtube :lol

those was just the ones where he was attacking the basket like a madman.
Remember when he got hung on a layup in game 2:oldlol:

I dont even think he can get hot like he used to with the Cavs, he a rhythm shooter and he doesnt shoot the ball as much to catch that fire

Indian guy
06-04-2011, 01:16 AM
Remember when he got hung on a layup in game 2:oldlol:

I do :facepalm. That layup would've really halted Dallas' momentum too because it was coming right off a timeout. It would've given Miami some much needed confidence because they were beginning to panic. But LeBron blew it....and the rest is history.

I dont even think he can get hot like he used to with the Cavs, he a rhythm shooter and he doesnt shoot the ball as much to catch that fire

He doesn't shoot enough to have the stretches that he did in Cleveland, but he's easily a better shooter today. No doubt about that.

Scoooter
06-04-2011, 01:20 AM
He looked so much lighter and more lithe in those old clips.

kaiiu
06-04-2011, 01:22 AM
I do :facepalm. That layup would've really halted Dallas' momentum too because it was coming right off a timeout. It would've given Miami some much needed confidence because they were beginning to panic. But LeBron blew it....and the rest is history.

He doesn't shoot enough to have the stretches that he did in Cleveland, but he's easily a better shooter today. No doubt about that.
I disagree. I think his best shooting year was in 09 his first MVP year. His ft% was almost 80. I can post highlights where his mid range jumper was better than what it is right now. 3 point shooting is the same just about but he had way better " heat check " games then.

Hes easily a better shooter than he was pre 09 doe..

Bigsmoke
06-04-2011, 01:37 AM
and thats why Lebron is playing in the Finals right now?

:rolleyes: you yall haters have anything to do with yall lives beside stare at LeBron's ass all day long?

LA_Showtime
06-04-2011, 03:38 AM

:rolleyes: you yall haters have anything to do with yall lives beside stare at LeBron's ass all day long?

It has absolutely zero to do with hating. It's just disappointing to see what LeBron was and what he is now athletically. Every player eventually declines, but at 26, LeBron should be at his peak.

Samurai Swoosh
06-04-2011, 03:45 AM

You are not really the sharpest knife in the drawer, are you?

I mean I'm no genius myself, but god damn ...

DRose1899
06-04-2011, 04:15 AM
Holy shiet, looking to video that kaiuu posted makes me reminded how goddamn fast Lebron is, he almost if not as fast as Rose... And he looks noticeably smaller too though.

Dragonyeuw
06-04-2011, 07:05 AM
Lebron is CLEARLY more explosive there, but his loss of explosiveness imo is because of weight gain. I think he's put on too much mass, and it's affected his quickness, leaping ability, agility. The same thing happened with Kobe several years back.... if Lebron lost about 10 pounds he'd get it back. No way a 26 year old with no history of injuries just 'loses' their athleticism from one year to the next.

asdf1990
06-04-2011, 07:27 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrCAskM65N4

He clearly can't get that high anymore. Just last game He missed a couple of layups he would hit with his eyes closed last year. I hope he sheds some weight in the off season.

Bigsmoke
06-04-2011, 07:30 AM
It has absolutely zero to do with hating. It's just disappointing to see what LeBron was and what he is now athletically. Every player eventually declines, but at 26, LeBron should be at his peak.

25.5ppg/8.8 rebounds/5.4 assists/ on 47% shooting and playing with the 2hnd best in the NBA is declining to you.

that just tells you how good he is then.

You are not really the sharpest knife in the drawer, are you?

I mean I'm no genius myself, but god damn ...

Your boy Derrick Rose declined at 22 so u can STFU

LBJ 23
06-04-2011, 08:02 AM
25.5ppg/8.8 rebounds/5.4 assists/ on 47% shooting and playing with the 2hnd best in the NBA is declining to you.

that just tells you how good he is then.

Stats =/= Athleticism

Nash
06-04-2011, 09:50 AM
You guys are crazy. If you think a professional athlete loses his athletism at 26 then you are just messing with yourselves. Also, a freak of nature like Lebron.

CelticBaller
06-04-2011, 09:54 AM
ya mad

Bigsmoke
06-04-2011, 10:07 AM
Stats =/= Athleticism

LeBron is still the best player in the NBA thats not dominant enough :rolleyes:

LBJ 23
06-04-2011, 10:18 AM
LeBron is still the best player in the NBA thats not dominant enough :rolleyes:

La_Showtime was talking about his small athletic decline and not about his overall domination on the court. He is still the best player in the NBA cuz his jumper is much better, but it looks like he can't attack the rim as easily as he used to.

But this dunk shows some hope, head almost at the rim level

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DYT09Te7MA

sh0wtime
06-04-2011, 10:26 AM
Creative way for haters to hate. :)

ChandlerParsons
06-04-2011, 11:39 AM
If he was in Cleveland he would still be dominant.
Amirite

PP34Deuce
06-04-2011, 12:16 PM
He thrives on filling up a stat sheet. I think personally lebron would rather have 21 11 9 3blocks 3steal games than 35 6 6 2 1.

I like to call him Magic meets pippen on steroids

IGOTGAME
06-04-2011, 12:41 PM
Dude, 5-10% wouldn't even be noticeable. If the regression was that minimal then he wouldn't have been struggling to beat defenders off-the-dribble. He wouldn't have been struggling to explode in the paint. He would've more or less remained the same player.

My estimation of 20-25% is a lot more accurate. It makes sense of what's actually happening on the court.

he has always struggled to beat defenders off a live dribble without a pick. It is just that the surrounding pieces have changed and he is forced to attempt it more.

chazzy
06-04-2011, 12:47 PM
I find it hilarious that people consider it hating to point out Lebron isn't as athletic as he used to be.

FireDavidKahn
06-04-2011, 01:03 PM
He's every bit as good. He's just playing with 2 stars now. He'd have no trouble going back to putting up 30/9/7 a night if he was asked to carry a team again.
He is playing with 1 other star and 1 all-star.

Indian guy
06-04-2011, 01:31 PM
He thrives on filling up a stat sheet. I think personally lebron would rather have 21 11 9 3blocks 3steal games than 35 6 6 2 1.

I like to call him Magic meets pippen on steroids

What does this have anything to do with what this thread is about? You are quite the moronic hater when it comes to LeBron. I don't think I have ever seen you make a decent post here.

Indian guy
06-04-2011, 01:32 PM
he has always struggled to beat defenders off a live dribble without a pick.

How do you even call yourself an NBA fan with stupidity like this? Did you even watch the few clips that were posted in this thread? He's blowing past his man at will, pick or no pick.

kaiiu
06-04-2011, 01:36 PM
How do you even call yourself an NBA fan with stupidity like this? Did you even watch the few clips that were posted in this thread? He's blowing past his man at will, pick or no pick.
its the truth. Lebron never had a quick first step and he was never a good faceup/iso player.

Indian guy
06-04-2011, 01:37 PM
its the truth. Lebron never had a quick first step and he was never a good faceup/iso player.

A quick first step prevents him from getting past guys from a STANDSTILL, not with a live dribble from the top of the key. He can blow past anyone in that scenario.

game3524
06-04-2011, 01:50 PM
Lebron clearly isn't the same player he was in Cleveland. I laugh when the talking heads say this Bron's finest postseason, it is not. He was clearly more dominant in 2009.

LA_Showtime
06-04-2011, 02:17 PM
:roll:

IGOTGAME
06-04-2011, 02:21 PM

really bum. I have watched his whole career, I don't need to watch any "clips."

A quick first step prevents him from getting past guys from a STANDSTILL, not with a live dribble from the top of the key. He can blow past anyone in that scenario.

that has never been true...he has always had some trouble slashing with a live dribble and no screen.

Indian guy
06-04-2011, 02:25 PM
really bum. I have watched his whole career, I don't need to watch any "clips."

that has never been true...he has always had some trouble slashing with a live dribble and no screen.

:facepalm

No point in keeping you off my IL further. Good Bye.

LBJ 23
06-04-2011, 02:27 PM
I find it hilarious that people consider it hating to point out Lebron isn't as athletic as he used to be.

Excatly. I'm a big Lebron fan and I also find it :hammerhead:

Jacks3
06-04-2011, 02:51 PM
He is playing with 1 other star and 1 all-star.
What?

jlip
06-04-2011, 03:05 PM
Lebron has to be by far the most scrutinized and criticized player in NBA history since Wilt. When Lebron was in Cleveland his critics were calling him basically an unskilled stat padder who held the ball too much, had no jumper, and could only score because of his athleticism. Now he shares the ball with Wade, sacrifices some of his stats, has developed a great mid range jumper, and doesn't rely on his athleticism as much (which has not regressed as much as some people would suggest) and people yet find reasons to criticize him.

If he's not as dominating with the Heat as he was with the Cavs could it possibly be because he's...I don't know...not asked or needed to dominate as much since he's playing with a better cast? I know that that's a far fetched concept, but just think about it for a minute.

Ikill
06-04-2011, 03:14 PM
He's passed his peak due to his loss of athleticism but he is not declining as a player. He's still the best player in the NBA but its close this year

Samurai Swoosh
06-04-2011, 03:32 PM
No, I rep first and foremost my two favorite players all-time:

Michael Jeffrey Jordan and Kobe Bean Bryant

And given Bryant is still in the league he JUST started to REALLY decline athletically and he's what? 15 years into the league. Yet I still saw him blowing by Trevor Ariza, and dunking on Omeka Okafor like it was 2000 - 2006, what's LeBron's excuse? He's 26 ... and hasn't played deep into the playoffs for 3 consecutive season. So what's his excuse, bro?

No more 'roids?

But wait ... you're from Chicago and Derrick Rose isn't quickly becoming your boy too?

That's weird.

chazzy
06-04-2011, 03:33 PM
Lebron has to be by far the most scrutinized and criticized player in NBA history since Wilt. When Lebron was in Cleveland his critics were calling him basically an unskilled stat padder who held the ball too much, had no jumper, and could only score because of his athleticism. Now he shares the ball with Wade, sacrifices some of his stats, has developed a great mid range jumper, and doesn't rely on his athleticism as much (which has not regressed as much as some people would suggest) and people yet find reasons to criticize him.

If he's not as dominating with the Heat as he was with the Cavs could it possibly be because he's...I don't know...not asked or needed to dominate as much since he's playing with a better cast? I know that that's a far fetched concept, but just think about it for a minute.
It's not about the production, it's SEEING him out there not being as quick and agile as he used to be. That's an observation, not a criticism.

pmj
06-04-2011, 03:33 PM
I have to somewhat agree with some of the Lebron haters here. Lebron was NEVER as good as Wade/Rose/even Kobe (in his prime) penetrating off the dribble. He could never really routinely split through the PnR defenders like Wade. He's always been slightly too big to really thread through defenders.

What they did do in Cleveland that Miami doesn't really do is fully spread it out, like 1-4 sets and he would just use his speed and strength to go by you, from which then he can just finish or kick it out (and Cleveland generally had better shooters). I'll agree he's slightly slower than he was before, but I think it's b/c he's added too much weight more than anything, and I think he'd still put up his Cleveland numbers if he was in the same system.

You have to understand too that since Miami has both Wade and James that live on penetrating and aren't great spot up shooters, defenses really can do nothing but pack the paint and it works (especially b/c Bibby & Chalmers are very inconsistent). Miami simply has been struggling getting reliable floor spacing all season and he needs space to work. I do wish Lebron pick one of either a) keep the weight and work on the post game or b) lose the weight, get back some speed and keep working on the jumper.

IGOTGAME
06-04-2011, 03:39 PM
I have to somewhat agree with some of the Lebron haters here. Lebron was NEVER as good as Wade/Rose/even Kobe (in his prime) penetrating off the dribble. He could never really routinely split through the PnR defenders like Wade. He's always been slightly too big to really thread through defenders.

What they did do in Cleveland that Miami doesn't really do is fully spread it out, like 1-4 sets and he would just use his speed and strength to go by you, from which then he can just finish or kick it out (and Cleveland generally had better shooters). I'll agree he's slightly slower than he was before, but I think it's b/c he's added too much weight more than anything, and I think he'd still put up his Cleveland numbers if he was in the same system.

You have to understand too that since Miami has both Wade and James that live on penetrating and aren't great spot up shooters, defenses really can do nothing but pack the paint and it works (especially b/c Bibby & Chalmers are very inconsistent). Miami simply has been struggling getting reliable floor spacing all season and he needs space to work. I do wish Lebron pick one of either a) keep the weight and work on the post game or b) lose the weight, get back some speed and keep working on the jumper.

this guy seems to get it.

Indian guy
06-04-2011, 03:40 PM
He could never really routinely split through the PnR defenders like Wade.

Nobody's talking about splitting PnR or traps here. We're just talking about basic blow by speed off a live dribble.

You have to understand too that since Miami has both Wade and James that live on penetrating and aren't great spot up shooters, defenses really can do nothing but pack the paint and it works (especially b/c Bibby & Chalmers are very inconsistent). Miami simply has been struggling getting reliable floor spacing all season and he needs space to work.

It has nothing to do with what he's surrounded with. LeBron didn't play with good shooters in his career until 08-09. That didn't prevent him from getting inside at will from 04-08. I also don't understand what one's supporting cast has to do with how you MOVE on the court. Why would being surrounded by inconsistent shooters make LeBron slower and less explosive on the court?

game3524
06-04-2011, 03:41 PM

He has regressed quite a bit, just look at the series against Chicago, he couldn't even beat Asik off the dribble on a switch, this would have never happened in 2009.

kaiiu
06-04-2011, 03:41 PM
Nobody's talking about splitting PnR or traps here. We're just talking about basic blow by speed off a live dribble.

It has nothing to do with what he's surrounded with. LeBron didn't play with good shooters in his career until 08-09. That didn't prevent him from getting inside at will from 04-08. I also don't understand what one's supporting cast has to do with how you MOVE on the court. Why would being surrounded by inconsistent shooters make LeBron slower and less explosive on the court?
:violin: Boobie, Damon Jones, Delonte, Donyell Marshall b4 09 :sleeping

catch24
06-04-2011, 03:42 PM
No, I rep first and foremost my two favorite players all-time:

Michael Jeffrey Jordan and Kobe Bean Bryant

And given Bryant is still in the league he JUST started to REALLY decline athletically and he's what? 15 years into the league. Yet I still saw him blowing by Trevor Ariza, and dunking on Omeka Okafor like it was 2000 - 2006, what's LeBron's excuse? He's 26 ... and hasn't played deep into the playoffs for 3 consecutive season. So what's his excuse, bro?

No more 'roids?

But wait ... you're from Chicago and Derrick Rose isn't quickly becoming your boy too?

That's weird.

I like how that clown had a Derrick Rose avatar JUST a few weeks ago. Now all of the sudden he's a Heat/LeBron push popper? :roll:

Indian guy
06-04-2011, 03:48 PM
Also weirded out by Bigsmoke questioning Rose's athleticism on the previous page. Rose was more athletic this season than any PG in NBA history. He's the game's best athlete today. He just needs to reestablish that mid-range game of his, watch some more game-tape to improve his reading of defenses and he's set to become the game's best player. His issues are more mental than physical right now.

chazzy
06-04-2011, 03:49 PM
Also weirded out by Bigsmoke questioning Rose's athleticism on the previous page. Rose was more athletic this season than any PG in NBA history. He's the game's best athlete today. He just needs to reestablish that mid-range game of his, watch some more game-tape to improve his reading of defenses and he's set to become the game's best player. His issues are more mental than physical right now.
He's been on a trolling spree since the ECF

Samurai Swoosh
06-04-2011, 03:50 PM
I like how that clown had a Derrick Rose avatar JUST a few weeks ago. Now all of the sudden he's a Heat/LeBron push popper? :roll:
Exactly.

It's not even like a gradual change like say what happened with Indian Guy.

To Indian Guy's credit, at least there was a transition period of him liking the guy, and at least he gives honest assessments of him now even when he likes him as a player.

This clown Bigsmoke liked the Bulls? Liked Rose? Now hates him says he's garbage ... when in reality he's a 3rd year player who just won MVP and happened to run into the best defense with the two most athletic defensive wing players in the league going right now, while getting NO help all playoffs long offensively.

But yes, if people can't catch on ... this kid is a big dumb ass front runner. How do you going from still like the Bulls and Rose just a few weeks ago, to complete hating and COMPLETELY hoping on LeBron's d1ck in less than a week or two time frame?

:oldlol:

Simple Jack
06-04-2011, 05:48 PM
He has regressed quite a bit, just look at the series against Chicago, he couldn't even beat Asik off the dribble on a switch, this would have never happened in 2009.

I've seen this happen plenty of times in his career with older players. Finding an isolated event and claiming it is the norm is beyond retarded.

Samurai Swoosh
06-04-2011, 05:51 PM
I've seen this happen plenty of times in his career with older players. Finding an isolated event and claiming it is the norm is beyond retarded.
Ummm, it happened multiple times through out the series. With Asik, let alone with players like Gibson as well. And LeBron always shot the jumper, which was the dumb play given the circumstances.

lebeast666
06-04-2011, 05:55 PM
Because he has another player just as good as him? :confusedshrug: :roll:

Retard.

LA_Showtime
06-04-2011, 05:55 PM

It has nothing to do with playing with fewer shooters or having Wade and Bosh to lean on. Watch LeBron when he goes to the hoop. Let's assume that he gets by his man... what's happening this season is he's going up, someone is contesting his shot, and he's missing (badly). That NEVER happened in years past. Either he'd finish with ease, dunk, or get an AND 1. LeBron was the King at getting And 1's just a year ago; how many has he got this season?

BlueandGold
06-04-2011, 06:00 PM
Yes, Lebron was better in 2009 and 2010, but he's never been as skilled as he currently is.
Numbers wise maybe but it's really not a fair assessment to make since he now has to share the ball with two other people, who are both legitimate scorers themselves.

Ikill
06-04-2011, 06:28 PM
Its pretty close for best athlete between Rose and Griffin

amfirst
06-04-2011, 10:21 PM
He is on the decline. He can still jump high but is saving those for when he really needs it. Kind of like how Kobe does a young Kobe dunk ever once in a while.

Micku
06-04-2011, 11:22 PM
Yeah, LeBron isn't as dominant. He was much more explosive back in the Cavs days, but LeBron is much more skillful.

He is better than he was imo. Even though he can't blow by his guy as much anymore or he doesn't do it often enough, he has D-Wade and Bosh on his team. They have to share the ball and take turns in a way. LBJ have also develop other forms of the game to be efficient. If D-Wade and Bosh was not on his team, then his numbers would go up because he would have to do more.

So, basically it's a give and take deal. You give LeBron a jumpshot and you take away his incredible driving ability (but still good). I find him more difficult to guard now than back then.

gotvtec
06-05-2011, 01:05 AM
Im not a hater or I did not start this thread because of the heat's loss. Lebron James is my favorite basketball player, but he's not the same. He's really slow, and when he drives in its really awkward. I been watching him all my life, but hes slowing down already. During 2008-2010 he blew by defenders with ease, this season its different. I just want the old Lebron back.

Jacks3
06-05-2011, 03:24 AM
There's no difference.

% at rim:

07: 72.0%
08: 71%
09: 72%
10: 73.3%
11: 72%

And1%

07: 5.9%
08: 5.2%
09: 5.7%
10: 5.4%
11: 5.2%

FTR (Free Throw Rate)

07: 0.43
08: 0.47
09: 0.47
10: 0.51
11: 0.45

Meh.

OldSchoolBBall
06-05-2011, 04:01 AM
There's no difference.

% at rim:

07: 72.0%
08: 71%
09: 72%
10: 73.3%
11: 72%

And1%

07: 5.9%
08: 5.2%
09: 5.7%
10: 5.4%
11: 5.2%

FTR (Free Throw Rate)

07: 0.43
08: 0.47
09: 0.47
10: 0.51
11: 0.45

Meh.

That doesn't show how frequently he actually GETS to the rim, though, which is what's in question here. There's no question he's still a tremendous finisher when he gets there. FTR is supporting evidence, but there's not a 1:1 correlation there. Lebron is a superstar and will get his 8.5-10 FTA regardless of whether he drives 30% of the time or 15% of the time.

Jacks3
06-05-2011, 04:23 AM
Attempts at rim:

07: 6.9
08: 8.0
09: 6.6
10: 6.8
11: 5.9

Decline has more to do with the team he's on more than anything. If he was back in CLE I doubt he'd have any trouble getting back up to around seven attempts. People are losing it. He's pretty much as athletic as ever.

Nobler
06-05-2011, 04:42 AM
Its the haters man, cant get over it.

moe94
06-05-2011, 07:46 AM
Rose was more athletic this season than any PG in NBA history. He's the game's best athlete today. .
Steve Francis? Nate Robinson? Westbrook is more than his equal. :rolleyes:

pmj
06-05-2011, 08:03 AM
Attempts at rim:

Decline has more to do with the team he's on more than anything. If he was back in CLE I doubt he'd have any trouble getting back up to around seven attempts. People are losing it. He's pretty much as athletic as ever.

His field goal attempts as a whole are slightly down (all of the Big 3's are), which could account for it too.

Like I said, maybe he's slightly slower due to weight, but it's mainly being in a different offensive system and not having the ball in the same situations. All he did is run iso's in Cleveland... Not saying I'm a fan of the Heat's offense, they could incorporate more of his old style b/c imo he's better on iso's (as far as driving) with floor spacing than he is with PnR. His best play out of the PnR is his passing (making those Stockton-esque bounce passses), not his driving. He's just asked to be different player now.

Anaximandro1
06-05-2011, 08:04 AM
I'm still not sure.LeBron looks a little slower,but his jumper has improved a lot.I guess we'll all find out soon enough.Can't wait for game 3 :cheers:

Samurai Swoosh
06-05-2011, 09:09 AM
Attempts at rim:

LOL @ the LeBron / stat geeks looking at stats for EVERYTHING.

His attempts at the rim don't equate to lose of athleticism or not.

And eye test, watching the hames, he's lost a lot.

heyhey
06-05-2011, 09:27 AM

i think the reason his stats are still there is that he's getting bailed out by refs more. This season I see a lot more questionable barrel into players with no call or blocking call.

But he's just not as good a penatrator from top of the key as he was before. even his pick and roll game is not as smooth as Cavs days.

pmj
06-05-2011, 09:39 AM

Dude, the reason he brought up stats is b/c someone said "well he can't finish at the rim anymore, he used to get so many and-1s", and then he showed FG% at the rim and and-1%. Then someone said well he doesn't get to the rim as often as he used to, and he showed the stats of FGA at the rim.

Samurai Swoosh
06-05-2011, 09:49 AM
Dude, the reason he brought up stats is b/c someone said "well he can't finish at the rim anymore, he used to get so many and-1s", and then he showed FG% at the rim and and-1%. Then someone said well he doesn't get to the rim as often as he used to, and he showed the stats of FGA at the rim.
And it's straight up dumb to even point out. As someone else said it isn't a 1:1 ratio. It doesn't tell you all the opportunities LeBron does have to drive that he passes on because he can't due aka due to the extreme loss of explosion off the dribble.

Playing on a court with Wade and Bosh to divert defensive attention, and a cast of shooters surrounding him. If he still had the same capabilities to get to the rim, he should be getting their more often, not less often, and finishing stronger at the rim than at near equal clip as he used to.

pmj
06-05-2011, 10:08 AM
And it's straight up dumb to even point out. As someone else said it isn't a 1:1 ratio. It doesn't tell you all the opportunities LeBron does have to drive that he passes on because he can't due aka due to the extreme loss of explosion off the dribble.

Playing on a court with Wade and Bosh to divert defensive attention, and a cast of shooters surrounding him. If he still had the same capabilities to get to the rim, he should be getting their more often, not less often, and finishing stronger at the rim than at near equal clip as he used to.

I'm not even arguing that at this point, and neither was he.

"LOL @ the LeBron / stat geeks looking at stats for EVERYTHING.

His attempts at the rim don't equate to lose of athleticism or not."

He was using stats to refute those specific points which were that Lebron can't finish anymore, or doesn't get and-1s, etc. They weren't even talking about the overall lost athleticism topic... And then you chimed in making fun of him for using stats.

IGOTGAME
06-05-2011, 10:15 AM
Lebron gains all this extra muscle and people expect him to be just as quick and agile?

The difference is not because of degeneration but because of a choice Lebron made to put on extra muscle. The same thing happened when Kobe bulked up for a season and slowed down going to the basket. As soon as Lebron loses some bulk he will go back to around 2009 level but it is his fault for adding muscle.

However, the myth that Lebron was some great isolation/slashing player is revisionist history. Guy has always relied on picks to get to the basket for the most part.