PDA

View Full Version : what is j.j. barea doing with that flag?

Knicksfever2010
06-12-2011, 10:53 PM
REALLY? i dont think this is the time to break out your countries flag.

ALBballer
06-12-2011, 11:09 PM
It happens in soccer all the time. I don't see the problem.

:confusedshrug:

DStebb716
06-12-2011, 11:55 PM

This is the perfect time to wave your flag.

Zackmorris
06-13-2011, 12:21 AM
Plus its Puerto rican day

Grinder
06-13-2011, 12:26 AM
Didn't realize Puerto Rico was a country.

OKC Adonis
06-13-2011, 12:29 AM
Didn't realize Puerto Rico was a country.

Did you think it was a town?

1987_Lakers
06-13-2011, 12:30 AM

It's our 51st state.

dbugz
06-13-2011, 12:30 AM
Dude have all rights to do what ever he wants to do on that court.

Dude killed the Heat on the 4th together with Terry and Dirk

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Grinder
06-13-2011, 12:31 AM

It's a commonwealth, an unincorporated territory of the US, not an independent country, you dumbass, inbred Oklahoman piece of shit.

OmniStrife
06-13-2011, 12:34 AM
This is the perfect time to wave your flag.
this.

http://i.imgur.com/TTYny.png

R.I.P.
06-13-2011, 12:36 AM
Barea can ram his flag pole into Miss Puerto Rico all night long. He earned it.

OKC Adonis
06-13-2011, 12:37 AM
It's a commonwealth, an unincorporated territory of the US, not an independent country, you dumbass, inbred Oklahoman piece of shit.

Aww, I am sorry I made you feel stupid.

RonArtestsBalls

I take it you agree with the NBA's insistence in calling the league champions "World Champions"

The world doesn't revolve around the USA, mate.

He is proudly representing his people, don't see a problem with it.

JtotheIzzo

for all intents and purposes its a country. they participate in the Olympics and World Cup, don't get technical and be a dlck about it.

Grinder
06-13-2011, 12:40 AM
Aww, I am sorry I made you feel stupid.

Made me feel stupid because your remark was a blatantly failed attempt at trying to be a smart ass? Good luck with that logic.

Grinder
06-13-2011, 12:41 AM
for all intents and purposes its a country. they participate in the Olympics and World Cup, don't get technical and be a dlck about it.

Scotland has it's own national team, let's declare them an independent nation!

OKC Adonis
06-13-2011, 12:44 AM

Did Scotland beat USA in basketball in 2004?

lpublic_enemyl
06-13-2011, 12:47 AM
this.

http://i.imgur.com/TTYny.png
does this translate into u mad just taking a guess

R.I.P.
06-13-2011, 12:52 AM
does this translate into u mad just taking a guess

Close. More means like you crazy, but could be that somebody tried to translate you mad with google translator. :oldlol:

Cowboy Thunder
06-13-2011, 12:56 AM

lol wtf

:roll:

bluechox2
06-13-2011, 12:57 AM
its like waving your state flag, no one does that

Sharp
06-13-2011, 01:10 AM

It's part of the United Sates, smart guy!

Knicksfever2010
06-13-2011, 01:31 AM
I take it you agree with the NBA's insistence in calling the league champions "World Champions"

The world doesn't revolve around the USA, mate.

He is proudly representing his people, don't see a problem with it.

I dont ever recall seeing a player wear his teams flag after winning an NBA championship. Btw, 'world champions' is JUST AN EXPRESSION, taking things literal much?

Sicknote
06-13-2011, 02:09 AM

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

04mzwach
06-13-2011, 02:14 AM
butt hurt any? holy sheet!

Haymaker
06-13-2011, 02:28 AM
'cause we puertoricans are proud people. We're proud of our culture. Most of you have no idea of what patriotism is. We may not be a country but we are proud of whatever we are. :cheers:

tomtucker
06-13-2011, 02:50 AM
I agree, you don

tomtucker
06-13-2011, 02:52 AM
It's part of the United Sates, smart guy!
Then why did he not bring the stars and stripes ?

Undisputed
06-13-2011, 02:56 AM
Then why did he not bring the stars and stripes ?
Because he's from Puerto Rico and is latino, so naturally he's sporting the flag of his nationality and birthplace.

tomtucker
06-13-2011, 03:05 AM
Because he's from Puerto Rico and is latino, so naturally he's sporting the flag of his nationality and birthplace.
Man, i know that....that is why i am quoting that guy who says it

The Judge
06-13-2011, 03:07 AM
It's Puerto Rican day. There was even a parade. With the way Barea played, he can bust out his flag if he wants.

PimpinZaZa
06-13-2011, 03:19 AM

Whoa!! somebody needs a hug. Or a therapist!! Smile once in a while it'll be ok :lol

necya
06-13-2011, 04:18 AM
don't worry, there was nowitzness

JtotheIzzo
06-13-2011, 04:20 AM

they compete in the Olympics as Great Britain, nice try.

allabouthawks
06-13-2011, 09:52 AM
they compete in the Olympics as Great Britain, nice try.

they are part of the UK yes but they are their own country

SayTownRy
06-13-2011, 10:07 AM
I dont ever recall seeing a player wear his teams flag after winning an NBA championship.

http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/2923449/img/SA-Spurs/parker-ginobili.jpg

niko
06-13-2011, 10:12 AM
It was Puerto Rican day so I thought it was ok. :D I had my flag outside.

Chad44
06-13-2011, 10:20 AM
arguing over nothing :wtf: a flag rly

Funnyfuka
06-13-2011, 10:23 AM
Originally Posted by Undisputed

he s living and earning money playing in america in an american basketball league tho...

LJJ
06-13-2011, 10:23 AM
I never thought you US fellows would have a problem with someone busting out the flag.

I mean, don't you guys bust out the stars and stripers for every celebration ever?

HylianNightmare
06-13-2011, 11:45 AM
not spanish/latins don't really understand

niko
06-13-2011, 11:50 AM
I think people need to understand that US players win the title every year. It's rarer some of these countries have players who win. So, when a player wins (like Barea) he breaks out the flag to show that his supporters in PR, he's thinking of you. Like Manu did with Argentina. I see no problem with it. I think it's great.

PowerGlove
06-13-2011, 11:52 AM
I never thought you US fellows would have a problem with someone busting out the flag.

I mean, don't you guys bust out the stars and stripers for every celebration ever?
THIS:roll: :roll: :roll:

LJJ is on a roll.

Sharp
06-13-2011, 12:37 PM
he s living and earning money playing in america in an american basketball league tho...

What part of "Puerto Rico is part of America" don't you understand?

1Time4YourMind
06-13-2011, 12:40 PM
He going all Jordan 1992 Dream team with that flag draped over him, except he wasn't hiding a Nike logo :rockon:

Orlando Magic
06-13-2011, 12:41 PM
Something I've never understood is why people move to the U.S. and then rep their "home" country's flag all over the damn place. If you're so damn prideful of "your country" then take your ass back there and get the **** out. You want to move here? Cool, fine. I'm more than happy to take foreigners. But for them to move here to make a life for themselves and then continue to rep the shit hole they came from is just stupid. You must not be that proud or your ass would be there.

Flying a foreign flag on domestic soil is unacceptable unless you are just visiting as a tourist or diplomat. That's it.

kentatm
06-13-2011, 12:48 PM
holy crap we have some tight asses here.

dude was just representing his heritage.

nothing wrong with that at all.

hell, I would consider rocking a Texas flag since we kick so much ass :pimp:

Funnyfuka
06-13-2011, 12:50 PM
What part of "Puerto Rico is part of America" don't you understand?
then it's a racial statement.

Funnyfuka
06-13-2011, 12:51 PM
Something I've never understood is why people move to the U.S. and then rep their "home" country's flag all over the damn place. If you're so damn prideful of "your country" then take your ass back there and get the **** out. You want to move here? Cool, fine. I'm more than happy to take foreigners. But for them to move here to make a life for themselves and then continue to rep the shit hole they came from is just stupid. You must not be that proud or your ass would be there.

Flying a foreign flag on domestic soil is unacceptable unless you are just visiting as a tourist or diplomat. That's it.

/end of thread. Of course latinos in this thread arent going to agree...

Rake2204
06-13-2011, 12:56 PM

I am in near complete, respectful disagreement. I do not view other countries as my enemies or my competition. I thought JJ's flag representation was a beautiful thing. I feel having players from all corners of the world competing in the NBA is awesome. It's folks from everywhere coming together for a common cause. It's unifying in a sense.

I think it's okay to be proud of one's home or roots without having it being interpreted as a sign of disrespect to where you stand now. Not even for a millisecond did I believe JJ was saying anything negative toward the USA. I just saw it as a man paying homage to his humble roots. I thought it was awesome. I'd actually have more of a problem if all players completely dismissed their home lands as if they never existed.

It's hard to make a direct analogy, as there's not much that compares to nationalities, but where I grew up may not have been as great as the place I am now. But that doesn't mean I'm not proud of my hometown and proud of the fact that I'm a successful product of it. Further, I'd have no problem showing that pride for my hometown.

Finally, if your post was meant to be sarcastic or ironic, I apologize for not seeing through it. I have a poor sarcasm detector.

SayTownRy
06-13-2011, 01:27 PM
http://harryallen.info/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/dave_chapelle_show_-_black_white_su.jpg

"go back to your country!"

tomtucker
06-13-2011, 01:29 PM

motherfukking right.......:applause:

tomtucker
06-13-2011, 01:34 PM

Texas flags would be acceptable, since it is awesome and part of the US

fillmont
06-13-2011, 01:42 PM
Texas flags would be acceptable, since it is awesome and part of the US

So is Puerto Rico.

Mor'Fiyah
06-13-2011, 01:48 PM
And this is why the rest of the world has a problem with SOME Americans. Whats disrespectful about waving your country's flag in a league populated with players from all around the globe? The reason America is the greatest country on earth is because America represents every country.

LurkingFanboy
06-13-2011, 04:06 PM
So is Puerto Rico.
This.

Anybody that says other wise is a mouth breathing moron. What JJ did is no different than somebody waving a California flag around for some odd reason.

Sharp
06-13-2011, 07:27 PM
This.

Anybody that says other wise is a mouth breathing moron. What JJ did is no different than somebody waving a California flag around for some odd reason.

Pretty much.

But remember, common sense doesn't work here.

bettalaylow
06-13-2011, 07:31 PM

Thank you so I don't have to waste my breath on this fool.

oh the horror
06-13-2011, 07:32 PM
Some of the comments in this thread are stunningly stupid.

Nice to know that some of your parents raised you to be as narrow, and ignorant as they probably were growing up as well.

bettalaylow
06-13-2011, 07:32 PM

No actually it isn't a country THERE IS A TREMENDOUS DIFFERENCE.

Fatal9
06-13-2011, 07:34 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_hkSJb3HHu7E/TIOwO8w09pI/AAAAAAAAGe8/K_G7mD8Ffdk/s1600/zz5.jpg

sportstownusa
06-13-2011, 07:48 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_hkSJb3HHu7E/TIOwO8w09pI/AAAAAAAAGe8/K_G7mD8Ffdk/s1600/zz5.jpg

the thought of Barea being with that woman is just....wow. I'm speechless.

Also, wow, lot of ignorant posts. What's next? No one should be able to celebrate their cultural holidays? If they think their cultural heritage is so amazing, why not move back to the land of their cultural origin?

What about all the americans in other countries who celebrate 4th of July with the American flag.

The dood did something spectacular and wanted to represent his heritage. Nothing wrong at all with that. If you think there is, then you are and idiot. No debate will change that.

northwinds
06-13-2011, 07:52 PM

Can't wait for the next Southern who wins an NBA title to break out the Confederate battle flag....just representing his heritage....LOL...would love to see the look on David Stern's face......probably fine him as much as Kobe and Joaquin for using "the other 'F' word" this year...LMAO.

HaNdLe ThE RoCk
06-13-2011, 08:19 PM
what's so wrong with this? lol this does not deserve a topic

PimpinZaZa
06-14-2011, 01:59 AM
[QUOTE=Mor'Fiyah]And this is why the rest of the world has a problem with SOME Americans. Whats disrespectful about waving your country's flag in a league populated with players from all around the globe? The reason America is the greatest country on earth is because America represents every country.[/QUOTE

Totally agree, the ignorance of SOME americans makes me laugh! they seem to be coming out in droves for this thread. If they could only see themselves as the rest of the world does they're attitudes might change.

I see no problem at all with Barea pulling out the flag. After all the NBA wants the title to be seen as the WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP, no different to waving the flag at any Olympics or World Championships. If Milwaukee won a championship :oldlol: and Bogut didn't rip out an aussie flag I'd be really disappointed. It's all about national pride and patriotism.

PimpinZaZa
06-14-2011, 02:09 AM

:lol Prideful?? so by your logic, if you were to get offered a short term job ( which is what an NBA contract is ) internationally, you would move to said country and completely disown everything about your home country for the time you are there? if so, then you are extremely UNPATRIOTIC. National pride is something you Americans seem to take very seriously as long as it's you guys that are showing it, yet as soon as someone else displays it it's wrong and they should get the fukk out!! And people wonder why the USA is slowly becoming one of the most hated cultures in the world. Ignorance is bliss!!! Keep living in your own little world and maybe one day you'll get over yourself and see the big picture! And if you truly believe that every immigrant comes from a country that is a "shithole" then you really need to look in the mirror and see that everything is not roses in your own backyard and that most of the world can't believe the mess that America has got themselves into, both financially and culturally. I'm not anti-america, I spent 2 years working in LA and love the place, but ignorant people mouthing off in the name of National pride really sh!t me up the wall!

tomtucker
06-14-2011, 02:27 AM
So is Puerto Rico.
here we go again.......you fukking idiot...:banghead: .......then why not bring out the star and stripes ?

Mrofir
06-14-2011, 02:30 AM

Well, you're an ignorant bastard, and anyone who agrees with you is too.

Oh well

kentatm
06-14-2011, 02:36 AM
Can't wait for the next Southern who wins an NBA title to break out the Confederate battle flag....just representing his heritage....LOL...would love to see the look on David Stern's face......probably fine him as much as Kobe and Joaquin for using "the other 'F' word" this year...LMAO.

:facepalm :rolleyes:

tomtucker
06-14-2011, 02:36 AM
[QUOTE=Mor'Fiyah]And this is why the rest of the world has a problem with SOME Americans. Whats disrespectful about waving your country's flag in a league populated with players from all around the globe? The reason America is the greatest country on earth is because America represents every country.[/QUOTE

Totally agree, the ignorance of SOME americans makes me laugh! they seem to be coming out in droves for this thread. If they could only see themselves as the rest of the world does they're attitudes might change.

I see no problem at all with Barea pulling out the flag. After all the NBA wants the title to be seen as the WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP, no different to waving the flag at any Olympics or World Championships. If Milwaukee won a championship :oldlol: and Bogut didn't rip out an aussie flag I'd be really disappointed. It's all about national pride and patriotism.
Spare me that crap about ignorance of americans ....many australians hate all the immigrants in australia....if someone busted out a turkish flag or some other shit, after a soccer game, plenty would be mad

PimpinZaZa
06-14-2011, 02:45 AM
[QUOTE=PimpinZaZa]
Spare me that crap about ignorance of americans ....many australians hate all the immigrants in australia....if someone busted out a turkish flag or some other shit, after a soccer game, plenty would be mad

Spare you the crap! Am i wrong? If so, where? And you're right, many australians do hate the immigrants in australia, case in point is the Serbian soccer match last week in Melbourne. but does it make it right? or any less ignorant!

Tha Catalyst
06-14-2011, 04:14 AM
This thread is absolutely disgusting, I won't blame you individually because it's likely the result of poor parenting. Being proud of your past and where you have been is a healthy thing. The NBA is the best basketball league in the world, so why would players from Germany, Argentina, Australia, Spain and others not want to play there?

Mrofir
06-14-2011, 04:15 AM
This thread is absolutely disgusting, I won't blame you individually because it's likely the result of poor parenting. Being proud of your past and where you have been is a healthy thing. The NBA is the best basketball league in the world, so why would players from Germany, Argentina, Australia, Spain and others not want to play there?

u sound like my bro

+1 on the bad parenting. I try to remind myself but I still find myself getting angry at the poor kids

fillmont
06-14-2011, 04:29 AM
here we go again.......you fukking idiot...:banghead: .......then why not bring out the star and stripes ?

So are you actually claiming that Puerto Rico isn't part of the United States? Or are you claiming that you shouldn't have pride in Puerto Rico if you're Puerto Rican? Either way, you're wrong.

SpanishACB
06-14-2011, 05:45 AM
I can't believe you can complaint about this and not feel like an ignorant racist.

apesta
06-14-2011, 06:22 AM
When NBA names it winner the World Champs, why can't players from different countries be able to wave their flag. So every i guess only American flags are allowed? Some of you Americans need to be less ignorant.

R.I.P.
06-14-2011, 06:24 AM
http://blogamole.tr3s.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/carlos-arroyo.jpg

I beat Tim Duncan and Shawn Marion in 2004, all by myself. What about you, LeBron? :pimp:

Rake2204
06-14-2011, 10:09 AM
Well I am thankful a collective voice of reason has begun to shine through here. This thread was actually kind of bringing me down a little bit. I'm also thankful that most posters have been kind enough to emphasize that it is only some Americans who showcase such ignorance.

HylianNightmare
06-14-2011, 10:19 AM

this in other countries we don't have the damn kids pledging to some flag every day, much less have a flag flying in every damn room like it matters

bluechox2
06-14-2011, 10:20 AM
stupid thread

dak121
06-14-2011, 11:23 AM
Barea wearing his flag >>> Fake "Patriots" that seem to be everywhere in the US nowadays.

Especially when it involves the current "wars" that are nothing more than an oil grab.

jstern
06-14-2011, 11:27 AM
Barea wearing his flag >>> Fake "Patriots" that seem to be everywhere in the US nowadays.

Especially when it involves the current "wars" that are nothing more than an oil grab.
Those people are ultra annoying. And if you're against them and their agenda, then you're anti America, because they are "Patriots." Fake patriots.

Mechanixxxx
06-14-2011, 12:30 PM
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a1/Mechanixxxx/chillpill.jpg

Ain't nothing wrong with showing you pride for your heritage!

He's the first Puerto Rican to win an NBA Championship in 31 years and the first one to be on the starting lineup during a finals game too.

So yeah I think its a pretty big deal for us boricuas! :rockon: