PDA

View Full Version : Who was more athletic in their primes/peak: Lebron James vs. Michael Jordan

Da Heroic One
06-14-2011, 02:46 PM
Discuss

Soundwave
06-14-2011, 02:48 PM
The tendancy would be to say LeBron, but IMO Jordan dunked on far more people and was far more creative with the basketball in the air.

LeBron had power, but he doesn't really play a power game (sits on the perimeter mostly).

Jordan was quicker and more agile.

Carbine
06-14-2011, 02:48 PM
LeBron was as good or better of an overall athlete, but Michael was clearly ahead of LeBron in terms of being a basketball athlete, if that makes sense.

Some athletic attributes are more important in basketball.

1Time4YourMind
06-14-2011, 02:51 PM
MJ had that finesse, agility and body control that clearly surpasses Lebron's (tho Cav Lebron's body control was very very very good as well), which made him so much more fun to watch. those 3 traits are all athletic qualities that work well in bball so I would give MJ the edge here.

Harison
06-14-2011, 02:51 PM
Stronger Lebron, but overall Jordan was more athletic.

Lets see - coordination, flexibility, precision, power, speed, endurance, balance, awareness efficiency, better hops (considering height) and timing.

At what Lebron is better? At power, thats it.

Soundwave
06-14-2011, 02:53 PM
LeBron honestly has more of a football player's physique/athletic ability.

GreatHILL
06-14-2011, 02:55 PM
Discuss

is u on drugs or u just brainwashed retarded kid that were born in the 90s?

MJ was and is the best athletic player that ever played bball....

Dro
06-14-2011, 02:56 PM
The tendancy would be to say LeBron, but IMO Jordan dunked on far more people and was far more creative with the basketball in the air.

LeBron had power, but he doesn't really play a power game (sits on the perimeter mostly).

This......

Crown&Coke
06-14-2011, 02:57 PM
I think even though Bron is much bigger, I still think MJ was stronger (comparitively speaking) Bron uses that massive frame to generate all that power on his dunks, MJ only used a fraction of that mass yet still obsorbed more contact and was stil able to power over people in a day when you could literally shove a player away from the basket.

ronniec
06-14-2011, 03:04 PM

agree.

Lebron is just like a truck that goes straight forward. All strength and power but that's it. If a team plays defense and zone and jamming the box, he can't change directions like Wade and will just hit the wall.

nbacardDOTnet
06-14-2011, 03:04 PM

Lets see - coordination, flexibility, precision, power, speed, endurance, balance, awareness efficiency, better hops (considering height) and timing.

Are you sure ? =)

MJ vs Anthony Mason

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn200/nbacardDOTnet/zz%20NBA%20Photo%20Gallery/Michael%20Jordan/VS/Charlotte%20Hornets/mj-against-anthony-mason.gif

Yes, this guy.

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn200/nbacardDOTnet/zz%20NBA%20Photo%20Gallery/y%20NBA%20etc/1%20New%20York%20Knicks/Anthony%20Mason/masonhead.jpg

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn200/nbacardDOTnet/zz%20NBA%20Photo%20Gallery/y%20NBA%20etc/1%20New%20York%20Knicks/Anthony%20Mason/mason_divac.jpg

Carbine
06-14-2011, 03:50 PM
That might be the most prettiest thing in basketball - the Jordan fade.

Smoke117
06-14-2011, 04:00 PM
Not sure how bumping Anthony Mason once with his back and shooting a fade away jumper makes Jordan powerful. It's not like he backed him down under the basket. Not that he wasn't strong, but Jordan more powerful than Lebron is laughable. Hell Pippen had more power than Jordan and he isn't as powerful as Lebron either.

Indian guy
06-14-2011, 04:07 PM
LeBron

Give both MJ and LeBron similar skill-level and basketball IQ, who would be the more productive player? LeBron, easily. I can't imagine MJ putting up the numbers LeBron did from 06-08 with a jumper that weak. LeBron basically averaged 30/8/7 for 3 consecutive seasons while shooting in the mid-30's on jump shots. He simply had a GODLY body.

ErhnamDjinn
06-14-2011, 04:17 PM
LeBron

Give both MJ and LeBron similar skill-level and basketball IQ, who would be the more productive player? LeBron, easily. I can't imagine MJ putting up the numbers LeBron did from 06-08 with a jumper that weak. LeBron basically averaged 30/8/7 for 3 consecutive seasons while shooting in the mid-30's on jump shots. He simply had a GODLY body.
problem is he doesnt have the dribbling, shooting skills of MJ, he also doesnt have the finesse aerial moves MJ had, MJ could literally glide through the air and adjust to defense on the fly, Lebron goes straight to the basket in a straight line with raw power, he then either gets blocked, fouled or loses the ball. Plus to say Jordan didnt have power, he was getting hand checked and bodied up all the time unlike the g@y hacks players receive now to warrant fouls. I truly believe most posters on this sight are 15 yrs old and below because they seem to comment on stuff they have never seen.

Laimbeer_Rodman
06-14-2011, 04:20 PM
LeBron

Just when I thought you were just an ignorant you turned out to be gay also

Round Mound
06-14-2011, 04:28 PM
MJ had that finesse, agility and body control that clearly surpasses Lebron's (tho Cav Lebron's body control was very very very good as well), which made him so much more fun to watch. those 3 traits are all athletic qualities that work well in bball so I would give MJ the edge here.

THIS

Smoke117
06-14-2011, 04:30 PM
LeBron

If anything that's more because of the era Bron is playing in. Jordan is clearly more agile and nimble off the dribble. If Lebron had to contend with hand checking and frankly having to deal with physical play instead of getting every little touch foul...his numbers wouldn't be near what they were 06-08.

Doctor Rivers
06-14-2011, 04:30 PM
THIS

Barkley sucks

DCL
06-14-2011, 05:03 PM
if we measure athleticism by just speed, hops, and strength, then lebron had a stronger total package.

but basketball ain't all about that... jordan was slick and moved like mosquito. people tend to disregard agility and fluiditiy as forms of athleticism. jordan got that sh!t all day. no way in hell he gets shut out from driving into the hole from the dallas zone.

TheMan
06-14-2011, 05:49 PM
Forget the athletic stuff, what made MJ great was his mental toughness, he was gonna kick your ass and there wasn't a god damned thing you could do about it, he didn't shy away from the big moment, when the game was on the line, he DEMANDED the ball, he would take over the game but he was also smart enough that if he got double teamed, he would kick it out to Paxson or Kerr.

LBJ shrinks when he needs to step up and take over in the 4th and it has to do with his mentality, I have no idea how he can improve on that but he will have to or he will stay ringless.

gengiskhan
06-14-2011, 06:00 PM
WTF :facepalm :facepalm

MJ: 1985 Slam Dunk Runner Up at age 21.
MJ: 1987 Slam Dunk Champion at age 23.
MJ: 1988 Slam Dunk Champion at age 24.

The only reason why MJ missed 1986 Slam Dunk contest because of broken foot.
The only reason why MJ missed 1989 Slam Dunk contest because of Groin injury
The only reason why MJ missed 1990 Slam DUnk contest because he wanted to give others a chance to win.

LBJ missed Slam Dunk Contest because he cannot create athletic innovative dunks & will make fool of himself in dunk contest.

GMATCallahan
06-14-2011, 06:24 PM

I concur with your overall point, but ironically enough, last year on Sportscenter, Robert Horry stated that while everyone talks about James' strength, Jordan proved exceptionally strong in his own right, implying that he was no less strong than LeBron. And of course, Horry played against both men.

Overall, I'd say that Jordan constituted the better athlete because of how he combined finesse with explosiveness, but James is the more unique athlete given his combination of size and explosiveness.

GMATCallahan
06-14-2011, 06:26 PM
if we measure athleticism by just speed, hops, and strength, then lebron had a stronger total package.

but basketball ain't all about that... jordan was slick and moved like mosquito. people tend to disregard agility and fluiditiy as forms of athleticism. jordan got that sh!t all day. no way in hell he gets shut out from driving into the hole from the dallas zone.

I'm not sure that James is better at any of those first three attributes; see my previous post.

But your salient point is correct: aspects such as fluidity, balance, coordination, and agility must also be reckoned with and Jordan enjoys clear edges in those areas.

BlackJoker23
06-14-2011, 06:26 PM
I concur with your overall point, but ironically enough, last year on Sportscenter, Robert Horry stated that while everyone talks about James' strength, Jordan proved exceptionally strong in his own right, implying that he was no less strong than LeBron. And of course, Horry played against both men.

Overall, I'd say that Jordan constituted the better athlete because of how he combined finesse with explosiveness, but James is the more unique athlete given his combination of size and explosiveness.
is kevin johnson more athletic than both of them?

:D

GMATCallahan
06-14-2011, 06:33 PM
LeBron

In other words, if James possessed a better jump-shot, he would have been averaging 32-37 points per game, like Jordan from 1987-1990 and again in 1993 ...

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/j/jordami01.html

Jordan averaged well over 30 points per contest in several seasons, thus negating your argument.

GMATCallahan
06-14-2011, 06:37 PM

Hence the incongruity in James' game that has eventually risen to the surface in the majority of the last five postseasons, thus costing him a championship.

Magic Johnson developed a credible jump-shot, but imagine if he needed to constantly revert to a perimeter game rather than posting-up and playing middle-in.

Samurai Swoosh
06-14-2011, 06:45 PM
Just when I thought you were just an ignorant you turned out to be gay also
I'm sorry this made me laugh too

:oldlol:

rodman91
06-14-2011, 06:46 PM
MJ. He had one of the quickest feet.He was more agile.Much better hangtime..Better leaper.He was strong as hell for his size.

Lebron is probably only stronger.What makes Lebron's unique is he has almost Jordan like athleticism with almost body of Malone.

Jordan in prime was one of the quickest players ever.And let's not even talk about his hang time.He was almost walking in the air.

GMATCallahan
06-14-2011, 06:54 PM
agree.

Lebron is just like a truck that goes straight forward. All strength and power but that's it. If a team plays defense and zone and jamming the box, he can't change directions like Wade and will just hit the wall.

Yes, James doesn't really slither or maneuver much and even a far less explosive athlete such as Magic Johnson proved greatly superior in that regard. To compensate, James needs the post-up game that he has never developed with any consistency or comprehensiveness.

GMATCallahan
06-14-2011, 07:02 PM
MJ. He had one of the quickest feet.He was more agile.Much better hangtime..Better leaper.He was strong as hell for his size.

Lebron is probably only stronger.What makes Lebron's unique is he has almost Jordan like athleticism with almost body of Malone.

Jordan in prime was one of the quickest players ever.And let's not even talk about his hang time.He was almost walking in the air.

Yes, Jordan possessed the quickness of a small, explosive point guard in the body of a big guard.

Indian guy
06-14-2011, 07:09 PM
I really don't understand what's so difficult to understand. If 84-90 MJ was given the same skill-set as 04-08 LeBron, would he be putting up 30/7/7? The answer is NO. As much of a freak MJ was, his game was a lot more reliant on skill than LeBron's ever was. At 6'6, 190 pounds, he would never be able to barrel into defenders possession-after-possession and maintain the kind of production LeBron did. He wasn't THAT gifted.

Soundwave
06-14-2011, 07:11 PM
I really don't understand what's so difficult to understand. If 84-90 MJ was given the same skill-set as 04-08 LeBron, would he be putting up 30/7/7? The answer is NO. As much of a freak MJ was, his game was a lot more reliant on skill than LeBron's ever was. At 6'6, 190 pounds, he would never be able to barrel into defenders possession-after-possession and maintain the kind of production LeBron did. He wasn't THAT gifted.

Does LeBron even barrel into defenders possession-after-possession?

Seems to me at least 50% of the time, he plays on the perimeter and settles for step back jumpers.

He uses his 6'9 frame mostly to look over the defence for passing.

A younger Jordan goes to the hole more than LeBron does, that was basically the bulk of Jordan's game as a youngster actually.

You don't have to "run over" someone when you can simply blow past them and then jump over the help defence.

97 bulls
06-14-2011, 07:11 PM
Id go with jordan. He was the total package. He was cat quick, lightning fast and had huge hands. And his strength was deceptive. Anybody got that vid of jordan shattering the glass on a dunk? Or that video where he catches a basketball with the palm of his hand as if it were a tennis ball?

97 bulls
06-14-2011, 07:13 PM
I don't remember jordan being that skilled in the begining of his career. I mean, he had skill, but he really relied on his athleticism in his early years

Soundwave
06-14-2011, 07:20 PM
I can say with fair certainty a 26-year-old Jordan would've been a much harder cover for 33-year-old Shawn Marion in a series.

Especially if he had Wade and Bosh on the floor with him (cannot play Jordan rules defence).

Marion probably would've gotten dunked on a few times. Ditto for that Mavs rookie big man who was getting a lot of minutes. Jordan would've posterized him for sure :oldlol:

LeBron is simply not fast enough to get past a defence like that at will, most 6'9 guys aren't.

Indian guy
06-14-2011, 07:21 PM
Does LeBron even barrel into defenders possession-after-possession?

04-09 LeBron absolutely did. Obviously, he's a different player today, but the OP asked for athletic PEAK. 04-08 LeBron took jumpers as a LAST resort.

A younger Jordan goes to the hole more than LeBron does, that was basically the bulk of Jordan's game as a youngster actually.

Look up MJ and LeBron's FTA per shot. LeBron's way ahead.

jstern
06-14-2011, 07:21 PM
Robert Horry on Jordan's strength.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09sCTRPLiBM

Soundwave
06-14-2011, 07:24 PM
04-09 LeBron absolutely did. Obviously, he's a different player today, but the OP asked for athletic PEAK. 04-08 LeBron took jumpers as a LAST resort.

With today's p*ssy rules, sure.

A younger Jordan would be shooting boat loads of free throws today if defenders weren't able to hang all over him (ie: Bad Boy Pistons).

Not a chance in hell LeBron goes to the hole more than a younger Jordan used to. LeBron settles for jumpers far more often than a young Jordan, even the Cleveland version.

That's not a knock on LeBron, it's probably just reality -- at 6'9 you simply cannot be *that* fast. It's just impossible to have the first step Jordan had at that height. It would be like asking Shaq to have the first step that LeBron does, it's impossible to keep going up 3 inches and maintaining that level of speed.

A young Jordan would've shredded a 33/34 year old Marion apart.

Indian guy
06-14-2011, 07:37 PM
With today's p*ssy rules, sure.

MJ's best years in terms of FTA came in the 80's, where defense was ABSOLUTELY NOT better than what it is today.

A younger Jordan would be shooting boat loads of free throws today

A younger MJ WAS shooting boat-load of free throws in his rim-attacking days of 84-89. He averaged 9.6 FTA per game during that 5 year span. His game changed from 89-90 onwards in order to fit in Phil Jackson's equal-opportunity offense. Not to mention his ever-improving jumper and further maturation of his game forced him to change too. He didn't really need to attack the basket as much as before. And compared to 04-08 LeBron, he NEVER needed to attack the basket as much as him. There's a reason why LeBron's FTA/shot is so much higher than MJ's.

Da Heroic One
06-14-2011, 07:38 PM
I can say with fair certainty a 26-year-old Jordan would've been a much harder cover for 33-year-old Shawn Marion in a series.

That probably has more to do with mental than physical.

Soundwave
06-14-2011, 07:43 PM
That probably has more to do with mental than physical.

Even physically, there's no way Marion would be able to stay in front of Jordan.

First step is just too quick.

LeBron's first step is considerably slower. There were times in this series where he was having problems even getting around Brian Cardinal.

You can only get so much speed out of a 6'9 frame.

LeBron is a Hummer, Jordan is a Ferrari.

Eat Like A Bosh
06-14-2011, 07:58 PM
LeBron is bigger, stronger.
More athletic? Jordan.
Not to mention at age 26, LeBron is already regressing slightly in his athletic abilities.

lefthook00
06-14-2011, 08:38 PM

I think that he could. MJ put up better statlines than 30/7/7 between 84-90, so 30/7/7 would be downgrading. So with a worse skillset, he would still be able to put up something like that.

A better argument for your argument would be if you switched it around: If 04-08 LeBron had 84-90 MJ's skillset, he could put up crazyyyyyyy numbers.

lefthook00
06-14-2011, 08:44 PM
Even physically, there's no way Marion would be able to stay in front of Jordan.

First step is just too quick.

LeBron's first step is considerably slower. There were times in this series where he was having problems even getting around Brian Cardinal.

You can only get so much speed out of a 6'9 frame.

LeBron is a Hummer, Jordan is a Ferrari.

It would be a f*cking disaster. It would be like Marion trying to guard a stronger, slimmer, more athletic, taller, faster version of Wade that kept playing when off the ball, that would make Marion stay MORE honest because of a better jumper, and that was a goddamn energizer bunny. To be honest, MJ travelled hardcore on his first step though. :D

Samurai Swoosh
06-14-2011, 08:58 PM
To be honest, MJ travelled hardcore on his first step though. :D
Off the dribble or from the triple threat? Because its damn near impossible to travel off the dribble with your first step. Out of the triple threat, they thought that intially when he came in the league, but they had the ref committee review it and determined it was completely legal.

rodman91
06-14-2011, 09:04 PM
It would be a f*cking disaster. It would be like Marion trying to guard a stronger, slimmer, more athletic, taller, faster version of Wade that kept playing when off the ball, that would make Marion stay MORE honest because of a better jumper, and that was a goddamn energizer bunny. To be honest, MJ travelled hardcore on his first step though. :D

Marion couldn't defend almost 40 years Jordan. He would be suicidal after series against a prime Jordan.

lefthook00
06-14-2011, 09:12 PM
Off the dribble or from the triple threat? Because its damn near impossible to travel off the dribble with your first step. Out of the triple threat, they thought that intially when he came in the league, but they had the ref committee review it and determined it was completely legal.

I'm talking out of the triple threat. Obviously everyone travels a little bit on their first step out of the triple threat, or it would be a worthless move. You're allowed to simultaneously dribble while stepping, but a lot of these are blatant travels, he puts the ball down AFTER the first step pretty much when his second step is landing. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qukNKGNphoQ

Samurai Swoosh
06-14-2011, 09:13 PM
I'm talking out of the triple threat. Obviously everyone travels a little bit on their first step out of the triple threat, or it would be a worthless move. You're allowed to simultaneously dribble while stepping, but a lot of these are blatant travels, he puts the ball down AFTER the first step pretty much when his second step is landing. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qukNKGNphoQ
Yea I see your p.o.v.

But if you push the ball out of your hand, while simeltaneously taking your step, it's legal.

OldSchoolBBall
06-14-2011, 09:31 PM

This is as much a function of the no-contact perimeter rules as anything else. '85-'91 MJ would average 11+ FTA annually, possibly as many as 13, under post-2006 rules.

d.bball.guy
06-14-2011, 10:17 PM
LeBron has the advantage, he can disappear without using any cloak or paint or something.

IN-PAX-WE-TRUST
06-14-2011, 10:18 PM
Watch youtube videos of 1985-1992 Jordan. You will have your answer in a hurry.

KenneBell
06-14-2011, 10:38 PM
They both have their advantages.

What Jordan did possess that never went away was his body control and balance. Those are two things LeBron never really had and won't have.

Samurai Swoosh
06-14-2011, 11:06 PM
What Jordan did possess that never went away was his body control and balance. Those are two things LeBron never really had and won't have.
Footwork as well ...

rule1223
06-14-2011, 11:07 PM
you guise must be kidding, lebron is by far a better athlete than jordan. In terms of basketball skill, there are many players better than him, his skills are slightly above average, however his athleticism is far and beyond everyone elses in the league, in an era of the best athletes. His essentially a football player playing basketball and dominating.

KenneBell
06-14-2011, 11:09 PM
Footwork as well ...
This one really makes me mad and I brought it up on another board. How can Bron be such a good dancer and have such bad footwork? It makes no damn sense.

knightfall88
06-14-2011, 11:17 PM
Yea I see your p.o.v.

But if you push the ball out of your hand, while simeltaneously taking your step, it's legal.

you mean the ball has to touch the floor first before you have a step then it is legal?

As for athleticism - I have to give lebron the edge. He might be the fastest open court player I have ever seen and at size which is bigger and stronger than almost every perimeter player in the NBA. Jordan has some great athleticism as well but I have never seen someone like Lebron but with Jordan, VC and Kobe can almost live up to that level of athleticism.

eliteballer
06-14-2011, 11:52 PM
The fact that LeBron is 2 inches taller and about 60 pounds heavier and this is being asked should tell you the answer.

LA_Showtime
06-15-2011, 12:53 AM
LeBron, but it's really, really close. His combination of size, speed, agility, quickness, and power was amazing to watch. He could bulldoze you, run by you, jump over you, and make you look foolish. A 6'8 260 pound monster... the guy was built to play basketball.

Jordan's obviously the most athletic two-guard ever and a top 3-5 athlete of all-time, but along with his cat-like quickness, freaky endurance, etc. was a guy who was so fundamentally sound he made the game look easy. It would be scary to see LeBron with Jordan-like fundamentals. The league wouldn't stand a chance.

Micku
06-15-2011, 01:01 AM
Isn't there some kind of sheet that already tested their physical abilities yet? At LeBron right?

I think we know how fast MJ could run, how high he can jump, and how strong he is already. Someone would just have to look it up and post it.

I'm not sure if we know that about LeBron James. I think we do, but someone would have to look that up.

In terms of basketball skills, that's a bit subjective to ppl who actually watched them play.

Like footwork. MJ has better footwork than LBJ. MJ triple threat moves is better too. Body control while in the air is better too, this deals with adjusting his shots.

che guevara
06-15-2011, 01:28 AM

Especially if he had Wade and Bosh on the floor with him (cannot play Jordan rules defence).

Marion probably would've gotten dunked on a few times. Ditto for that Mavs rookie big man who was getting a lot of minutes. Jordan would've posterized him for sure :oldlol:

LeBron is simply not fast enough to get past a defence like that at will, most 6'9 guys aren't.
We're talking about Lebron in his athletic prime, not this year's who has 80% of his old athleticism at best.

And I'd say basically the same thing as Indian Guy, Lebron from '06-'10 was comparable (or even better in the case of 1-footed leaping) to Jordan in pretty much every aspect despite being 60+ pounds heavier. Jordan's a better player because he has a better skillset and doesn't inexplicably check out of playoff series, not because he's a better athlete.

jstern
06-15-2011, 01:50 AM
Both are top 5 athleticism all time in their athletic prime. The type that will get rarer and rarer as people with genes like theirs mix in more with regular people.

Samurai Swoosh
06-15-2011, 01:58 AM
We're talking about Lebron in his athletic prime, not this year's who has 80% of his old athleticism at best.
I'd honestly say less than that ... and that's not even about me no longering liking him as a person or player. That's just honesty. Physically he looked about 65% - 70% the player he was even a year ago.

andgar923
06-15-2011, 01:58 AM
Discuss
MJ.

Samurai Swoosh
06-15-2011, 01:59 AM
This one really makes me mad and I brought it up on another board. How can Bron be such a good dancer and have such bad footwork? It makes no damn sense.
It really doesn't.

sh0wtime
06-15-2011, 02:01 AM
Michael Jordan and Lebron James are guys who had the best combination of size, speed, quickness, vertical, power, endurance, explosiveness, conditioning and durability ever. Its very debatable.

At prime that is, right now Lebron has added more muscle/weight and his mobility/quickness/acceleration has taken a hit somewhat, probably his vertical aswell. Have no idea why he keeps adding muscle and muscle, i mean for gods sake you are a perimeter player, heck even a point-forward / guard / pointguard offensively (and even defensively often guarding small pointguards), dont understand what he wants with that kindof 260-270 lbs weight at the perimeter (what perimeter player did ever carry such size?), it will just take a hit on his mobility/acceleration and even footwork, he should lose some of that weight unless he is gona use it to post up 24/7 (which he wont).

IGOTGAME
06-15-2011, 02:03 AM
Michael Jordan and Lebron James are guys who had the best combination of size, speed, quickness, vertical, power, endurance, explosiveness, conditioning and durability ever. Its very debatable.

I wouldnt go that far. If I'm building a basketball player give me David Robinson's athletic profile before Lebrons....

Lebron is probably one of the top 5 athletes to ever touch a ball. But he is in the debate with guys like:

Jordan
Wilt
David Robinson
Hakeem
Shaq
KG

Samurai Swoosh
06-15-2011, 02:07 AM
I wouldnt go that far. If I'm building a basketball player give me David Robinson's athletic profile before Lebrons....

Lebron is probably one of the top 5 athletes to ever touch a ball. But he is in the debate with guys like:

Jordan
Wilt
David Robinson
Hakeem
Shaq
KG
Hakeem? Ummm, no.

IGOTGAME
06-15-2011, 02:15 AM
Hakeem? Ummm, no.

Hakeem is one of the great athletes to ever set foot in the NBA. Guy was a freak.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDBYWCwAN2o

look at the block at 1:20. That is a great athlete

Samurai Swoosh
06-15-2011, 02:16 AM
Hakeem is one of the great athletes to ever set foot in the NBA. Guy was a freak.
You can come up with some more athletic dudes than Hakeem.

CHi1PriDe
06-15-2011, 02:33 AM
You can come up with some more athletic dudes than Hakeem.

blake?

Samurai Swoosh
06-15-2011, 02:37 AM
blake?
Kemp
Blake
Nate Robinson
Derrick Rose

All he did was list big men ... there is a lot more athletic people than the big men he named.

Ne 1
06-15-2011, 03:18 AM
Jordan. Not even close.

LeBron has no moves.

No mid-range game, no crossovers, no fadeaways, no catch and shoot off a screen, no jab steps, no fakes, his jumper is inconsistent, no post up game, nothing at all. LeBron's game is basically iso, take a couple of dribbles, launch a 27-footer, or just bowl over dudes and get points.

:oldlol: @ traveling and running over dudes being his signature moves.

LeBron is basically Jerome Bettis playing basketball.

Soundwave
06-15-2011, 03:22 AM

And I'd say basically the same thing as Indian Guy, Lebron from '06-'10 was comparable (or even better in the case of 1-footed leaping) to Jordan in pretty much every aspect despite being 60+ pounds heavier. Jordan's a better player because he has a better skillset and doesn't inexplicably check out of playoff series, not because he's a better athlete.

LeBron had problems getting past older Celtic defenders in years past as a Cavalier also.

He just isn't as explosive off the dribble or with his first step as a younger Jordan.

Someone at 6'9 simply cannot be that fast.

Period. Skill has nothing to do with that.

Beyond that, LeBron doesn't seem to have the body control (agility) in the air that Jordan did. Jordan could jump over, around, and even shift his body in mid-air while taking contact and still lay or dunk the ball in. LeBron can do some of that, but not at the same level.

Also what good is all this athleticism if it's gone by age 26? LOL. How is that even possible? Aren't athletes today supposed to have access to far better training methods and supplements? Jordan was dunking on everyone and their grandma at age 26.

ballin33
01-06-2016, 03:40 AM
For football:LeBron

For basketball: Jordan

ClipperRevival
01-06-2016, 04:14 AM
LeBron is more of a Frankenstein type freak when you consider his size, power, speed and athleticism.

But for basketball purposes, i truly feel MJ was the best athlete ever. He was the best combination of fluidity, quickness, reflexes, coordination, agility, speed and explosiveness. There was just no delay in his movements. He just had that wirey body where every move he made was instant and fluid.

WindmiLL
01-06-2016, 05:24 AM
Jordan. Not even close.

LeBron has no moves.

No mid-range game, no crossovers, no fadeaways, no catch and shoot off a screen, no jab steps, no fakes, his jumper is inconsistent, no post up game, nothing at all. LeBron's game is basically iso, take a couple of dribbles, launch a 27-footer, or just bowl over dudes and get points.

:oldlol: @ traveling and running over dudes being his signature moves.

LeBron is basically Jerome Bettis playing basketball.

:roll:

No wonder Kobe fans are called Kobetards. This retard right here can't tell the difference between athletic ability and basketball skills :banghead:

OldSchoolBBall
01-06-2016, 10:11 PM
LeBron is more of a Frankenstein type freak when you consider his size, power, speed and athleticism.

But for basketball purposes, i truly feel MJ was the best athlete ever. He was the best combination of fluidity, quickness, reflexes, coordination, agility, speed and explosiveness. There was just no delay in his movements. He just had that wirey body where every move he made was instant and fluid.

Yup, well said. There's a reason players called him "Black Cat". Even at 34 years old, his quickness at his size was virtually unmatched. In all his movements - not just first step etc. For example, look at the speed of the fake, step-through, and gather for the shot here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmIv-RfvunI#t=7m34s

Seems like nothing at first glance, but that is a LIGHTNING quick sequence.

ShawkFactory
01-06-2016, 10:18 PM

Really all that needs to be said.

As a human being Lebron is the bigger freak.

As far as the game we watch? Jordan takes it.