HaNdLe ThE RoCk
06-15-2011, 06:42 PM
you heard it here first

:facepalm

G-train
06-15-2011, 06:44 PM
you heard it here first

You are not alone in thinking that.

But it also depends on expectations of him.... I expect him to carve out a DJ Augustin career, which is a bust given most expectations.

I'd take Brandon Knight over him. And I'd even take Kemba over him - thats saying something.

Miserio
06-15-2011, 06:44 PM
Kyrie Irving is the next Isiah Thomas.
You heard it here first.

G-train
06-15-2011, 06:50 PM
Kyrie Irving is the next Isiah Thomas.
You heard it here first.

Not as fast or skilled or as determined as Isaiah.

Not that we exactly know how fast he is as he didn't do the athletic tests.

taucesays
06-15-2011, 06:53 PM
We'll see how much of a bust unless he can pay up before the draft.

Shepseskaf
06-15-2011, 06:59 PM
Doubt he'll become a star, but also don't think he'll be a bust.

More like Chris Paul-lite.

kaiiu
06-15-2011, 07:02 PM
hop off his dick or he might bust on u

jdm_dc_fan
06-15-2011, 07:04 PM
At least explain why. :facepalm

Miserio
06-15-2011, 07:05 PM

Since when Chris paul isn't a star?

G-train
06-15-2011, 07:06 PM

So a number 1 pick?

Take Kemba number 1 I say. They wont but they should.
Kemba Walker will be Baron Davis with a good work ethic.

G-train
06-15-2011, 07:07 PM
At least explain why. :facepalm

Its a Sky gut feeling, its in the wind. You just have to taste it.

Nero Tulip
06-15-2011, 07:07 PM
Is this going one of those stupid threads we bump many years later to ridicule the OP?

You heard it here first.

G-train
06-15-2011, 07:09 PM
I simply dont believe he is athletic enough to compete with the top 5 or so PG's and he isn't as skilled as them either.

So DJ Augustin or Ray Felton or Johnny Flynn type.

BarberSchool
06-15-2011, 07:13 PM
Yeah, I wouldn't draft Irving with a top 5 pick either.

I'd pick Derrick Williams or Enes Kanter.

Nero Tulip
06-15-2011, 07:22 PM
Yeah, I wouldn't draft Irving with a top 5 pick either.

I'd pick Derrick Williams or Enes Kanter.

Valenciunas will be the guy everybody will wish they had picked, you heard it here first!

Nastradamus
06-15-2011, 11:30 PM
I'd take DW #1, partially due to Cleveland potentially getting Knight at 4, but Irving will be a stud. He can get by anyone, he's got great size for the position, he's a very natural and talented shooter, he has a pass first mentality, is a natural playmaker. Can also take over as a scorer though. He doesn't quite have a guy like Paul's natural passing skill and has to prove himself defensively.
Almost no way he's not a top 5 PG, 10 at the very worst given the quality at the position. I'd much rather have him than a guy who is more athletic like a Westbrook, but who doesn't have the unselfishness and feel for the game.

alenleomessi
06-16-2011, 03:45 AM
If im the Cavs i would take Williams 1st and Kanter 4th.
And you have SF,PF,C core of Williams, Kanter and Hickson.
For PG they have Sessions and Davis and also what happened to Gibson he used to be pretty good when Lebron played for the Cavs he used to have some crazy playoff games :confusedshrug:

baseketball4life
06-16-2011, 05:13 AM
you heard it here first
LMAO? retard :roll:

OmniStrife
06-16-2011, 05:41 AM
I don't see how you can pick him before Williams, personally.

DaveM123
06-17-2011, 11:15 AM
Derrick Williams will not live up to expectations either.

KG215
06-18-2011, 12:13 PM
I don't even think most NBA Draft "experts" are claiming that Irving will be the next great PG. However, this is a VERY weak draft class on paper, and Irving is no worse than a top 3 pick. I don't even expect him to become a PG that we mention as one of the 5 best in the NBA anytime soon, partially due to the incredible depth at the position. But, in a perceived very weak draft, he is as good of an option at #1 as anyone else in this draft.

Derrick Williams was incredible but he had one huge year, blew up in the tournament, and everyone has fallen in love with him. Let's not forget Williams doesn't have a solidified position in the NBA, yet. We don't know if h he has the handle to play SF full-time, or the footwork/postgame to be a full-time PF. I think Williams has a higher ceiling than Irving, but he's not a sure thing either.

Sarcastic
06-19-2011, 12:29 AM
Most Dook players turn out to be busts. You are not going too far out on a limb by predicting that.

RedBlackAttack
06-20-2011, 05:39 AM
I simply dont believe he is athletic enough to compete with the top 5 or so PG's and he isn't as skilled as them either.

So DJ Augustin or Ray Felton or Johnny Flynn type.
Not sure why you picked those three guys. They obviously have shortcomings, but possibly their biggest problem is their respective sizes (height/reach).

Augustin is listed at 6-foot, but that seems very generous to me.

Felton is barely 6-foot-1. If he were a couple of inches taller, it would serve him VERY well, because he is already a solid NBA player.

Flynn is listed at 6-foot and, again... That seems very generous.

Kyrie Irving is legitimately 6-foot-3+, which is excellent size for an NBA point guard. That alone makes him a much more intriguing prospect than any of those three guys. Not only was he the tallest, but Irving also had the longest reach of any point guard that will go in the first round of this draft.

I'm not a guy that puts a ton of stock into measurables, but it seems to me that a lot of people have this misconception that he is a guy with good intangibles, but not much natural talent or size and that he will have the kind of problems in the NBA that 'little' PGs are exploited for.

The natural talent part of it is subjective. I don't think he is a John Wall or Chris Paul level natural athlete, but he also isn't Eric Snow. Irving has very nice quickness off of the dribble, speed in the open court, reflexes on both sides of the ball, nice body control when driving to the hoop and he can leap nicely when he needs to.

What isn't debatable is his size... He will be one of the bigger PGs in the NBA and that will actually be a problem for guys like Felton, Flynn and Augustin if they are ever matched up against him.

G-train
06-20-2011, 11:21 PM
Not sure why you picked those three guys. They obviously have shortcomings, but possibly their biggest problem is their respective sizes (height/reach).

Augustin is listed at 6-foot, but that seems very generous to me.

Felton is barely 6-foot-1. If he were a couple of inches taller, it would serve him VERY well, because he is already a solid NBA player.

Flynn is listed at 6-foot and, again... That seems very generous.

Kyrie Irving is legitimately 6-foot-3+, which is excellent size for an NBA point guard. That alone makes him a much more intriguing prospect than any of those three guys. Not only was he the tallest, but Irving also had the longest reach of any point guard that will go in the first round of this draft.

I'm not a guy that puts a ton of stock into measurables, but it seems to me that a lot of people have this misconception that he is a guy with good intangibles, but not much natural talent or size and that he will have the kind of problems in the NBA that 'little' PGs are exploited for.

The natural talent part of it is subjective. I don't think he is a John Wall or Chris Paul level natural athlete, but he also isn't Eric Snow. Irving has very nice quickness off of the dribble, speed in the open court, reflexes on both sides of the ball, nice body control when driving to the hoop and he can leap nicely when he needs to.

What isn't debatable is his size... He will be one of the bigger PGs in the NBA and that will actually be a problem for guys like Felton, Flynn and Augustin if they are ever matched up against him.

He is taller than those guys but he is also less skilled than those guy imo.
He will have a similar impact because of that.

kaiiu
06-21-2011, 12:25 AM
Kyrie WILL be a superstar. Take that to the bank

Nastradamus
06-21-2011, 02:07 AM
There's really nothing he doesn't do well. He's not as athletic as Wall, but he's a much better shooter and still has a great first step and very good scoring ability. He's a lot more Chris Paul than Derrick Rose, nothing wrong with that.

RedBlackAttack
06-21-2011, 02:29 AM
There's really nothing he doesn't do well. He's not as athletic as Wall, but he's a much better shooter and still has a great first step and very good scoring ability. He's a lot more Chris Paul than Derrick Rose, nothing wrong with that.
Yep.

He isn't quite as quick/fast/athletic as Paul, but he is significantly bigger/longer/taller... And he is a significantly better shooter coming out of college. In fact, he is probably a better shooter than Chris Paul right now.

I read a quote from a scout in a recent article on cnnsportline in which the guy said that he may be the best shooting point guard that he has seen at his age since he began scouting for the NBA over a decade ago.

I'm very excited about what Kyrie is bringing to the table.

kaiiu
06-21-2011, 02:38 AM
lol @this athletic shit. I would much rather my PG be like CP3, Dwill, Nash than Rose, Westbrick . A bunch of non skilled, low IQ chucking PG.

And Kyrie can throw down 360 windmills and reverse dunks with the best of them. No PG can routinely dunk in the half court anyways so I dont get where athleticism comes in at. He has a better handle than any PG on that list besides Dwill and Paul. And a much better jumper than all besides Nash and Dwill.

RedBlackAttack
06-21-2011, 02:51 AM
lol @this athletic shit. I would much rather my PG be like CP3, Dwill, Nash than Rose, Westbrick . A bunch of non skilled, low IQ chucking PG.

And Kyrie can throw down 360 windmills and reverse dunks with the best of them. No PG can routinely dunk in the half court anyways so I dont get where athleticism comes in at. He has a better handle than any PG on that list besides Dwill and Paul. And a much better jumper than all besides Nash and Dwill.
Athleticism is about more than just dunking... It is about ability to hit high speeds and still maintain body control. That is probably THE most important part of elite athleticism for point guards, in fact.

kaiiu
06-21-2011, 02:58 AM
Athleticism is about more than just dunking... It is about ability to hit high speeds and still maintain body control. That is probably THE most important part of elite athleticism for point guards, in fact.
lol go look at some of Irving highlights, his change of direction off the dribble and body control IS GREAT. he can contort his body and get a layup

RedBlackAttack
06-21-2011, 03:19 AM
lol go look at some of Irving highlights, his change of direction off the dribble and body control IS GREAT. he can contort his body and get a layup
He has very good athleticism. I just don't think that he is quite as fast or quick (which is part of athleticism) as Chris Paul.... And, Paul's ability to breakdown defenses with his quickness and speed is really what makes him so effective.

You are preaching to the choir, though... I've been high on Kyrie since I watched his high school tapes. His early-season dominance at Duke only re-affirmed what I already thought.

A lot of people don't realize that the Irving they saw in the tournament was only at about 60-70%... He was nowhere near healthy, he hadn't been practicing, and he was out of shape...

And he was STILL far and away Duke's best player in the tournament and scored 29 points on 9-of-15 shooting against Arizona in the team's loss. He was the only guy to show up in that game for Duke. Yet, people use it as a reason that he will be a bust on the next level... Very strange.... A guy playing at 70% going against arguably the most athletic team in the nation and scoring 29 points on 60+% shooting...

Irving is legit.

I'm just interested to see who we pair him with. I'm becoming more and more sold on Valanciunas. The guy is a legit 7-footer with a giant wingspan, great defense and he is deadly on the pick-and-roll (where Kyrie will excel).

Irving/Valanciunas could be a nice foundation for the future.

kaiiu
06-21-2011, 03:24 AM
He has very good athleticism. I just don't think that he is quite as fast or quick (which is part of athleticism) as Chris Paul.... And, Paul's ability to breakdown defenses with his quickness and speed is really what makes him so effective.

You are preaching to the choir, though... I've been high on Kyrie since I watched his high school tapes. His early-season dominance at Duke only re-affirmed what I already thought.

A lot of people don't realize that the Irving they saw in the tournament was only at about 60-70%... He was nowhere near healthy, he hadn't been practicing, and he was out of shape...

And he was STILL far and away Duke's best player in the tournament and scored 29 points on 9-of-15 shooting against Arizona in the team's loss. He was the only guy to show up in that game for Duke. Yet, people use it as a reason that he will be a bust on the next level... Very strange.... A guy playing at 70% going against arguably the most athletic team in the nation and scoring 29 points on 60+% shooting...

Irving is legit.

I'm just interested to see who we pair him with. I'm becoming more and more sold on Valanciunas. The guy is a legit 7-footer with a giant wingspan, great defense and he is deadly on the pick-and-roll (where Kyrie will excel).

Irving/Valanciunas could be a nice foundation for the future.
Yep. Ppl are only hating on him because hes going to be a Cav. Mostly bitter Clipper fans and ex Cavs/Lebrick fans. I have yet to see anybody else get hated on like this in this draft :lol And even if this draft had all of its players who returned coming out, Irving was stil by far the best player and most likely # 1 pick

ad idk about that Jonas guy. Who knows when he can get over here. What u think about Kanter?

noob cake
06-21-2011, 03:59 AM
Kyrie Irving will be legendary. Haters take note.

Size: Great for PG, one of the biggest PG in the league
Athleticism: Above average for PG, near Chris Paul level, one notch below Rose/Wall
Shooting: Amazing shooter at 19, great mechanics and release
Intangibles: Irving can control the tempo of a game like a season vet. You won't see Westbrick or Rose style point guard play.

Bonus: Really freaking good at splitting defense and making layups

kaiiu
06-21-2011, 10:54 AM
Kyrie Irving will be legendary. Haters take note.

Size: Great for PG, one of the biggest PG in the league
Athleticism: Above average for PG, near Chris Paul level, one notch below Rose/Wall
Shooting: Amazing shooter at 19, great mechanics and release
Intangibles: Irving can control the tempo of a game like a season vet. You won't see Westbrick or Rose style point guard play.

Bonus: Really freaking good at splitting defense and making layups
:applause: :cheers:

Skywalker
06-21-2011, 11:03 AM

God forbid he play like Derrick Rose.

noob cake
06-21-2011, 11:05 AM
:applause: :cheers:

Clippers will be whacking themselves over the head for the next decade.

KingBeasley08
06-21-2011, 11:08 AM
Irving will be Mike Conley type player. Cavs should take D-Will. That mans gonna be a stud

noob cake
06-21-2011, 11:12 AM
God forbid he play like Derrick Rose.

Point guards are fundamentally undersized, a great disadvantage at the end of the game try to get a shot off. NBA defense is 50% effort, when you have a 6'7" SG/SF trying to defend you, it sucks to be small.

Besides Derrick Rose is a chucking PG in the mold of Westbrick. Rose's MVP is a result of the media hype last year; one of the worst MVP ever.

Skywalker
06-21-2011, 05:06 PM
http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/5e/fullj.d1f1270281fc5898797916ca0e563a6f/d1f1270281fc5898797916ca0e563a6f-getty-114148268cc121_miami_heat_v.jpg

1~Gibson~1
06-21-2011, 05:40 PM
its a PGs league and thats way im more than happy that we're likely gonna tkae Kyrie. i dont think he'll be as explosive as Derrick Rose but i think he'll be more like a Devin Harris type guy, but a better passer and game manager. i guess you can save Harris's offense + Kidd's leadership/game management skills.

Lordragoonx1x
06-21-2011, 10:40 PM
The cavs are pretty much gonna make Irving as their savior. That is a lot of pressure on him and I don't think he will be able to win Cleveland a chip.

ctown4eva
06-23-2011, 02:27 PM
The cavs are pretty much gonna make Irving as their savior. That is a lot of pressure on him and I don't think he will be able to win Cleveland a chip.

They'll be in the high lotto again next year, and at least another lotto year after that ...

Irving won't be alone.

RedBlackAttack
06-23-2011, 04:46 PM
Nobody in Cleveland thinks Irving is 'the savior.'

Eat Like A Bosh
06-23-2011, 09:37 PM
Why? A kid who only played 11 games got picked #1 overall?

Eat Like A Bosh
06-23-2011, 09:39 PM
I don't think he would be Greg Oden bust, he'd probably be a borderline star, but nowhere close to a Kobe/Wade/LeBron.
Maybe he will be a homeless man's Chris Paul.

But look at all the Duke players picked high overall, none of them turned out great. Dukes are softies.

Jackass18
06-24-2011, 12:00 AM
I'd take DW #1, partially due to Cleveland potentially getting Knight at 4, but Irving will be a stud. He can get by anyone, he's got great size for the position, he's a very natural and talented shooter, he has a pass first mentality, is a natural playmaker. Can also take over as a scorer though. He doesn't quite have a guy like Paul's natural passing skill and has to prove himself defensively.

You're talking about him like he has all kinds of experience and has done this routinely. Irving is a risky pick at #1. He's far from a sure thing. He only played 11 games in college, and most of that occurred early in the season. If you take away games against Princeton and Colgate, then he had 29 assists and 26 turnovers.

Appeadehapes
10-08-2011, 02:35 AM

tomtucker
11-26-2011, 02:32 PM
Aha, Kyrie is on ISH and mad as hell...... and trying to get this tread deleted.......:lol

QUIZZLE
11-29-2011, 11:54 PM
I don't think he would be Greg Oden bust, he'd probably be a borderline star, but nowhere close to a Kobe/Wade/LeBron.
Maybe he will be a homeless man's Chris Paul.

But look at all the Duke players picked high overall, none of them turned out great. Dukes are softies.

Battier, Boozer, Brand, Deng?

East_Stone_Ya
01-31-2012, 09:26 AM
hahhaha op must feel bad now that Kyrie is tearing up the league :roll:

RedBlackAttack
03-17-2012, 06:55 PM
This was a fun re-read.

Kyrie Irving 2011/2012 MIX (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nR5Ao4NLxiw&feature=player_embedded)

Unathletic? :oldlol:

He sure does look like the next Jonny Flynn.

GOBB
03-28-2012, 06:25 PM
Everybody in Cleveland thinks Irving is 'the savior.'

I pulled a Michael J Fox and fixed :lol

SyRyanYang
08-05-2013, 12:08 AM
The irony is, as good as Irving is right now, he still isn't a top 5 pg on my book.

KyrieTheFuture
08-05-2013, 12:41 AM
http://replygif.net/i/1049.gif

Johnny Jones
08-05-2013, 12:48 AM
Is this going one of those stupid threads we bump many years later to ridicule the OP?

You heard it here first.:applause:

Shade8780
08-05-2013, 05:36 AM

You heard it here first.
:bowdown: :applause: :banana:

Eric Cartman
11-09-2013, 05:48 PM
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

baseketball4life
11-10-2013, 01:18 AM
nice one sky

FatComputerNerd
08-08-2016, 05:40 PM

You heard it here first.

Yuuup :banana:

RedBlackAttack
09-03-2016, 06:38 PM
I expect him to carve out a DJ Augustin career

I'd take Brandon Knight over him. And I'd even take Kemba over him - thats saying something.
Yuck. Five years later...

Kyrie >>>>>>> Kemba >>>>>>>>>> BKnight

And, it turns out this was one of the best draft classes of the past decade.

plowking
09-09-2016, 04:57 AM
Yuck. Five years later...

Kyrie >>>>>>> Kemba >>>>>>>>>> BKnight

And, it turns out this was one of the best draft classes of the past decade.

G-Train has never been great on player assessment. Not to say he doesn't have a few correct picks, but he is soo off base 90% of the time. :oldlol: