PDA

View Full Version : MVP Prediction for the 2011-2012 Season

ThaSwagg3r
06-17-2011, 04:23 AM
For me, I am going to go ahead and say Kevin Durant. If Dwight Howard gets enough help, whether it is from moves in the off-season or from their current roster playing better, I feel like he will win it.....but I don't think that is going to happen.

1. Kevin Durant
2. Dwight Howard
3. Kobe Bryant

My top 3 for MVP rankings next season

Stuckey
06-17-2011, 04:31 AM
too early to tell, whichever team gets the 1st seed

Mr. Jabbar
06-17-2011, 04:32 AM
Whoever has the best last 2 months. You know how the human retina works.

DMAVS41
06-17-2011, 05:26 AM
If Howard gets traded or gets any help he's a lock for it.

After him I think:

2. Durant
3. Dirk
4. Lebron
5. Rose

That is not my best player list or anything....just how I think MVP voting will likely go

Semi
06-17-2011, 05:42 AM
Well I think if the Mavs can get a top seed and Dirk doesn't drop off, it's possible he get's it. Can't see too many guys in play for it, like last season. It will be like 07 but in the playoffs the Mavs will also get back to the finals!

Bring-Your-Js
06-17-2011, 05:43 AM

After him I think:

2. Durant
3. Dirk
4. Lebron
5. Rose

That is not my best player list or anything....just how I think MVP voting will likely go

Assuming Howard doesnt get the necessary help, I actually believe Dirk should be the favorite hands down. Lebron really disgraced himself over the last couple weeks. Rose just had a wildly inefficient (nearly pathetic) playoff run. This shouldnt have any bearing on the 2011-12 season in reality, but those two cases were damaging, particularly Lebron (Only Rose's 1st deep run, so not so much I suppose)....Durant I could see.

DMAVS41
06-17-2011, 05:44 AM
Assuming Howard doesnt get the necessary help, I actually believe Dirk should be the favorite hands down. Lebron really disgraced himself over the last couple weeks. Rose just had a wildly inefficient (nearly pathetic) playoff run. This shouldnt have any bearing on the 2011-12 season in reality, but those two cases were damaging, particularly Lebron (Rose's 1st deep run)....Durant I could see.

I expect the Mavs to drop off quite a bit though. I don't think they will be able to bring everyone back and everyone is going to be a year older....assuming we start on time.

Dirk would be more likely to get MVP if its a shortened season though.

Who knows. I hope the Mavs keep the 50 game win streak alive, but its going to be tough.

We might lose some key players and we have to find a way to incorporate Roddy into the lineup as well.

Bucket_Nakedz
06-17-2011, 05:52 AM
dwight

Bring-Your-Js
06-17-2011, 05:55 AM
I wouldn't put it past him. I've been giving him a little shit lately over his Finals fg% which everybody honestly knows doesn't even begin to characterize the type of series he really had (fearless, clutch) and have no ill will towards the guy... at all.

If he wins a 2nd MVP though, he's really in business.

R.I.P.
06-17-2011, 06:09 AM
What season? :cry:

Durant.

wally_world
06-17-2011, 07:18 AM
Going with KD as well. Would probably be a top 2 seed in the West this coming season :cheers:

alenleomessi
06-17-2011, 07:26 AM
OKC are lock for top 2 seed next year, so is Durant for MVP

Lucifer
06-17-2011, 08:28 AM
Best player on the best team.

All Net
06-17-2011, 10:48 AM

After him I think:

2. Durant
3. Dirk
4. Lebron
5. Rose

I think durant is next in line

Joey3000
06-17-2011, 11:03 AM
Carmelo Anthony or Amare since I see the Knicks having a really good season.

Theoo's Daddy
06-17-2011, 12:05 PM
Durant is not winning an MVP title anytime soon. The scoring title is reserved for him.

creepingdeath
06-17-2011, 12:09 PM
I think Dirk could be up there with Howard and Durant. He has shed away the label that was built up after the 2007 disaster and is being highly praised right now. It'll come down to overall record, I reckon. That might turn out to be D12's biggest problem.

kaiiu
06-17-2011, 12:13 PM
Durant
Melo
Dwight

ChandlerParsons
06-17-2011, 12:15 PM
Lol, it would be basically the team with the best record. Whoever is the best player on that team.. And then MVP.

brownmamba00
06-17-2011, 12:24 PM
Kobe will be up their this time imo.

Dwight
Kobe/Durant
Kobe/Durant
Rose
Dirk

k-SkiLLz
06-17-2011, 12:37 PM
:facepalm

k-SkiLLz
06-17-2011, 12:38 PM
Durant is not winning an MVP title anytime soon. The scoring title is reserved for him.
This.

C-P-3
06-17-2011, 01:14 PM
Cp3!

ThaSwagg3r
06-18-2011, 01:56 AM
I don't think either Knicks or Heat will have a player winning the MVP. It is hard to win MVP when you already have a co-star along your side. And by co-star I mean another star that is just as good as the other star, doesn't mean a very good 2nd option or anything. I guess that is why Durant didn't get too many votes this season. It is pretty much a penalty.

1Time4YourMind
06-18-2011, 01:59 AM
i am gunning for dwight for his MVP chops.. unless he gets traded midseason to the lakers or something, in which case it could go to durant.

DStebb716
06-18-2011, 02:00 AM
Carmelo Anthony. I wish.

DC Zephyrs
06-18-2011, 02:18 AM
1. Lebron
2. Durant
3. Dirk
4. Howard
5. Paul

DMAVS41
06-18-2011, 02:19 AM
1. Lebron
2. Durant
3. Dirk
4. Howard
5. Paul

The Heat would have to win 70 for Lebron to get MVP next year if they are remotely healthy.

knickswin
06-18-2011, 02:22 AM
I don't think either Knicks or Heat will have a player winning the MVP. It is hard to win MVP when you already have a co-star along your side. And by co-star I mean another star that is just as good as the other star, doesn't mean a very good 2nd option or anything. I guess that is why Durant didn't get too many votes this season. It is pretty much a penalty.

Eh unlike with Lebron and Wade Carmelo is very clearly the first option and better player. If he blows up in D'Antoni's system I could see him being a candidate.

Actually I kind of thought it was bogus that Lebron and Wade weren't candidates since they both had great seasons.

Benji23
06-18-2011, 02:27 AM
For me, I am going to go ahead and say Kevin Durant. If Dwight Howard gets enough help, whether it is from moves in the off-season or from their current roster playing better, I feel like he will win it.....but I don't think that is going to happen.

1. Kevin Durant
2. Dwight Howard
3. Kobe Bryant

My top 3 for MVP rankings next season

I don't see Kobe in the top 5 for mvp next season, let alone top 3. It will not go to Dwight either if he is with Orlando, won't have a good enough record. Durant/Rose/Dirk I think have the best shot. No matter how well Miami do, I don't think they would give it to Lebron/Wade. Depends on their record and stats I suppose.

LA_Showtime
06-18-2011, 02:47 AM
I know Kobe is past his prime but I wouldn't be surprised if he won it next season, especially if there's a lockout. It would just be fitting. It would be one of the more controversial MVP awards, and that fits perfectly with Kobe's career path thus far. Hell, the Lakers will probably win a championship too. I can't even imagine the hate Kobe would get if he won in a lockout shortened season.

DMAVS41
06-18-2011, 02:51 AM
I know Kobe is past his prime but I wouldn't be surprised if he won it next season, especially if there's a lockout. It would just be fitting. It would be one of the more controversial MVP awards, and that fits perfectly with Kobe's career path thus far. Hell, the Lakers will probably win a championship too. I can't even imagine the hate Kobe would get if he won in a lockout shortened season.

Kobe could get it, but I don't think he will.

It would take a pretty awesome season combined with guys like Howard and Durant and their teams under achieving a bit.

A lockout season brings in probably 10 different guys. Hell, I could see Randolph or Aldridge getting it in a 50 game season.

28renyoy
06-18-2011, 02:53 AM
Thunder will win 60+ games, Durant will average 30+ ppg, Durant will have the MVP locked up by March.

knickswin
06-18-2011, 02:57 AM

It would take a pretty awesome season combined with guys like Howard and Durant and their teams under achieving a bit.

A lockout season brings in probably 10 different guys. Hell, I could see Randolph or Aldridge getting it in a 50 game season.

I have a realllyyyyy hard time seeing Lamarcus Aldridge winning the MVP next year. He was a nice surprise this season but he's not THAT much of an impact player. Randolph too I doubt because I see him more likely to have another solid season rather than an outstanding one.

And no way with Kobe.

DMAVS41
06-18-2011, 03:08 AM
I have a realllyyyyy hard time seeing Lamarcus Aldridge winning the MVP next year. He was a nice surprise this season but he's not THAT much of an impact player. Randolph too I doubt because I see him more likely to have another solid season rather than an outstanding one.

And no way with Kobe.

Its not likely, but if there is a shortened season of 45 or 50 games it brings a lot of guys into play.

What if the Blazers go 37-13 and Aldridge averages 24/10/3?

That is of course not likely, but possible. LA put up 22/9/2 this year and you have to think he improves on that next year in some ways now that he's more comfortable in that role.

Could the Blazers get hot and win a bunch of games through 50? Absolutely. Hell, they won 48 last year and dealt with a ton of different issues.

thejumpa
06-18-2011, 03:13 AM
Same people who were in the race this year will be in it next year. LeBron,DRose,Kobe,Wade,or Howard.

My prediction is for either Wade or Howard. I think it's gonna be a transition year for LeBron so I really don't expect him to come out firing and ballin out of control. Plus, Miami should be more complete leaving him with not as much to do. I have a feeling Wade will tear it up next season and Howard will be Howard...again. Kobe will be there but I think age has caught up to him.

Lebron23
06-18-2011, 05:40 AM
John Wall

LA_Showtime
06-18-2011, 11:42 AM

Oh, I'm not saying he's going to or anything, but there's a lockout I could see it happening, because it would follow Kobe's career path perfectly.

Theoo's Daddy
06-18-2011, 12:36 PM
Oh, I'm not saying he's going to or anything, but there's a lockout I could see it happening, because it would follow Kobe's career path perfectly.

well that shit only happens in the movies. Kobe is not winning MVP.

Theoo's Daddy
06-18-2011, 12:38 PM
Thunder will win 60+ games, Durant will average 30+ ppg, Durant will have the MVP locked up by March.

Thunder are not winning 60 games, once they lose coach maurice cheeks, i expect this team to perform just like this past season. Melo might even take the scoring title from durant.

Ikill
06-18-2011, 12:40 PM
I think Thunder are going to do a bit worse next year

adri41
06-18-2011, 12:48 PM
Honest question, how would one justify LeBron as MVP while he's playing with Wade and Bosh?

Samurai Swoosh
06-18-2011, 12:49 PM
Rose going for 2x MVP ...

But seriously, probably Durant.

knickswin
06-18-2011, 02:18 PM

Youre thinking as if the world revolves around Kobe and the Lakers. I highy doubt this storybook fantasy comes true.

Bladers
06-18-2011, 02:23 PM

I don't see Kobe in the top 5 for mvp next season, let alone top 3. It will not go to Dwight either if he is with Orlando, won't have a good enough record. Durant/Rose/Dirk I think have the best shot. No matter how well Miami do, I don't think they would give it to Lebron/Wade. Depends on their record and stats I suppose.

I guarantee you, Kobe will win the MVP next year.

I GUARANTEE IT!

Why? The lakers will be hungry and won't take off some many games like they used to.

They would probably win 62+ games, have the best or second best record.

If he puts up 28 ppg / 6 asts/ 5 reb

He wins it easily.

If he puts up 29-31 ppg, he can steal the Scoring title from Durant also.

ThaSwagg3r
06-18-2011, 02:25 PM
I think Wade, LeBron, Melo, or Amare could win it or be in the discussion, if one of their co-star gets severely hurt and is out for months. Not days or weeks, but months. Those guys pretty much have no chance outside of that.

cteach111
06-18-2011, 02:38 PM
I think Wade, LeBron, Melo, or Amare could win it or be in the discussion, if one of their co-star gets severely hurt and is out for months. Not days or weeks, but months. Those guys pretty much have no chance outside of that.

i still don't understand how you can have 2 mvp candidates on the same team... makes no sense to me. Lebron was at No.1 for quite a while and I just couldn't understand how.

DC Zephyrs
06-18-2011, 02:53 PM
The Heat would have to win 70 for Lebron to get MVP next year if they are remotely healthy.

And who says they won't? I don't think they're winning 70, but I'd still bet on them having the leagues best record. The Heat are going to be hungry next year and I don't expect any slow starts this time. And if Lebron simply has another Lebron-like season, he'd have to be the favorite for MVP.

People are damning him too soon. Just because he had a poor Finals series doesn't mean he's done forever. He's still probably the best player in the game on a contending team. That's generally a good recipe for an MVP winner, despite what you may think of him.

adri41
06-18-2011, 03:02 PM
Again, how could you really justify it? He's often not even he best player on his own team. If that's really how they do it, then they shouldn't call it Most Valuable Player. Just...our favorite player on the team that won the most games. (IF they even do.)

chips93
06-18-2011, 03:14 PM
He's often not even he best player on his own team.

but most of the time he is

adri41
06-18-2011, 03:16 PM
Yes, but not always. And even when he is, is he so far and away better than Dwyane Wade that he is more valuable to his team than any other fantastic players to theirs, when they DON'T have a co-future hall of famer on their team?

knickswin
06-18-2011, 03:16 PM

Like I said Carmelo is the clear-cut number one on the Knicks so I don't think playing next to Amare will hurt his chances

knickswin
06-18-2011, 03:18 PM
Also the Kobe worshippers need to get a grip. He's not magically becoming 4 years younger next year, the world doesn't revolve around Kobe and the lakers

ThaSwagg3r
06-18-2011, 03:45 PM
Like I said Carmelo is the clear-cut number one on the Knicks so I don't think playing next to Amare will hurt his chances
Am I suppose to care about what you think/say? Carmelo is not a clear cut number one, so just stfu.

LA_Showtime
06-18-2011, 03:52 PM
Youre thinking as if the world revolves around Kobe and the Lakers. I highy doubt this storybook fantasy comes true.

No I'm not. Don't be stupid. I'm just saying that Kobe's career is full of controversy for whatever reasons and winning a championship or MVP in a lockout would make the Jordan comparisons even more amusing. I can just imagine Loki and Bruce embarrassing themselves over that one.

knickswin
06-18-2011, 04:11 PM
Am I suppose to care about what you think/say? Carmelo is not a clear cut number one, so just stfu.

Uh yeah he is, any Knicks fan will tell you that. Considering we uh, actually watched the majority of Knicks games yeah our opinions do matter. At the end of the games there was absolutely no doubt who the ball was going to even though Amare is a pretty decent closer himself.

Samurai Swoosh
06-18-2011, 04:51 PM
No I'm not. Don't be stupid. I'm just saying that Kobe's career is full of controversy for whatever reasons and winning a championship or MVP in a lockout would make the Jordan comparisons even more amusing. I can just imagine Loki and Bruce embarrassing themselves over that one.
I don't count lock out seasons ... that Spurs championship is ridiculous to count.

But I see Kobe getting an MVP in a lock out season justifiable considering he got hosed in 2006 and 2007.

It would balance out the universe a lot more.

dallaslonghorn
06-18-2011, 05:08 PM
The first thing you have to realize is that writers aren't voting for who they think the best player is, and the two biggest things on their minds are the freshest/biggest story-line and last season's playoffs.

So you can throw these players out:

-- LeBron/Wade: People already don't like the Heat; no way either gets it after the Finals.
-- Rose: LeBron demolished him in the ECF; Bulls are unlikely to improve on regular season record.
-- Kobe: Getting older; his stats will probably continue to decline.

With the way the roster's look now:

1. Durant: OKC will be much improved after another year now that they can integrate mid-season acquisitions; Westbrook's rep took a big hit in the playoffs.
2. Dirk: If Dallas is in the running for the #1 seed, he'll get a long look.

Dark-horses if they are traded and new team explodes out the gate:

1. Dwight Howard
2. Chris Paul

ThaSwagg3r
06-18-2011, 05:11 PM
Uh yeah he is, any Knicks fan will tell you that. Considering we uh, actually watched the majority of Knicks games yeah our opinions do matter. At the end of the games there was absolutely no doubt who the ball was going to even though Amare is a pretty decent closer himself.
Melo being the closer doesn't mean he is the better player. Otherwise Kobe was better than Shaq in the 3-peats.

That being said take your shit over here in this other thread...

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=227614

IGOTGAME
06-18-2011, 05:31 PM
Kobe has a legit chance to be MVP of the league and this is why:

1.Kobe now has a chance to rest
- dude just went through 3 long playoff runs and the Olympics. He needed the rest and rehab time. He will also have the time to work on his game.

2. Miami Heat Hate-

-Lebron and Wade are not going to win an MVP next year.

3.Mike Brown - Mike Brown is gonna put a lot more responsibility on Kobe to make make scoring passes instead of hockey assists like in the triangle. If they add a couple of shooters then Kobe will imo have a career high in assists.

4. If the Lakers somehow win 60 games and Kobe averages 27/8/5 on 45%+ shooting and with decent assist to turnover ratio then he gets the MVP.

Jasi
06-18-2011, 05:49 PM
Chris Paul or Durant.

ThaSwagg3r
07-17-2011, 10:09 PM
Chris Paul or Durant.
I would have said Chris Paul if David West was going to play at least 70+ games next season, but he is guaranteed to at least miss half the season due to that freakish knee injury he suffered last season. But we'll never know, maybe Carl Landry is just as good if not better than David West. I have always said Carl Landry was one of the more underrated players in the league. I don't think he is good at creating his own shot as D-West is though.

MeLO MvP 15
07-17-2011, 10:33 PM
Check my name.

Papaya Petee
07-17-2011, 11:17 PM
Wade gets in shape for the season, eye surgery helps him with migranes, he goes hard all season.

27.5 PPG 6.5 RPG 5.2 APG 50% shooting, Heat go 65-17 Wade wins MVP.

yobore
07-17-2011, 11:59 PM
I would have said Chris Paul if David West was going to play at least 70+ games next season, but he is guaranteed to at least miss half the season due to that freakish knee injury he suffered last season. But we'll never know, maybe Carl Landry is just as good if not better than David West. I have always said Carl Landry was one of the more underrated players in the league. I don't think he is good at creating his own shot as D-West is though.
That's kind of irrelevant. West is 99% not going to be his teammate anyways and Landry is also a F.A., though he might be lured back. CP will probably be traded when the lockout ends. Regardless, he is going to be on point next year and ready to get back to 09 form. If he's traded he's got a great chance of winning the MVP.

yobore
07-17-2011, 11:59 PM
That's kind of irrelevant. West is 99% not going to be his teammate anyways and Landry is also a F.A., though he might be lured back. CP will probably be traded when the lockout ends. Regardless, he is going to be on point next year and ready to get back to 09 form. If he's traded he's got a great chance of winning the MVP.

ShaqAttack3234
07-18-2011, 12:06 AM
1.Durant
2.Dwight
3.Lebron
4.Dirk
5.Rose

wheatonbrando
07-18-2011, 12:46 AM
Lebron will be the MVP yet again. Whether people vote for him or not is relatively irrelevant.

pauk
07-18-2011, 02:18 AM
Lebron........

27 / 9 / 9 + 50%FG, 36%3PT, 80%FT + best record in the nba........

EricGordon23
07-18-2011, 02:48 AM
It's going to be Dwight Howard. He is going to average 25ppg 13.6 rebounds 2.6 blks 75% from the free throw line.

Big_Dogg
07-18-2011, 02:48 AM
Most Deserving: Dwight
Most Likely: Durant
Underdog: Paul

ShaqAttack3234
07-18-2011, 02:57 AM
Lebron........

He's not going to average 9 rpg, probably more like 7, same with assists. 7 max because he shares the ball with Wade. 80 FT% is a bit of a stretch as well. He's a career 74% shooter with a career high of 78% and the seasons of 76% and 77% the last 2 seasons.

For Lebron to get voted MVP after the decision and his finals performance. He'll have to have a season like how he played after Miami's start with them finishing on a 62 win pace and Lebron averaging 28/7/7/53 FG%. It's possible with no adjustment period and if Lebron enters next season really hungry to prove everyone wrong, but it will take something like that to win it.

Dave3
07-18-2011, 03:14 AM
Lebron........

Ok I'm sorry, but are you are you insane? LeBron's going to average career highs in rebounds, assists, 3 point percentage AND free throw percentage in the same year?

RazorBaLade
07-18-2011, 04:28 AM
Wade gets in shape for the season, eye surgery helps him with migranes, he goes hard all season.

27.5 PPG 6.5 RPG 5.2 APG 50% shooting, Heat go 65-17 Wade wins MVP.

the problem is that bron will putup 24 7 7 or something, so itd be hard to give it to either one.

i think likeliness is

howard
kobe
paul
dirk
durant

idk why u guys think okc will sudenly improve next year enough for him to be mvp, what moves have they made?

ShaqAttack3234
07-18-2011, 06:39 AM
the problem is that bron will putup 24 7 7 or something, so itd be hard to give it to either one.

i think likeliness is

howard
kobe
paul
dirk
durant

idk why u guys think okc will sudenly improve next year enough for him to be mvp, what moves have they made?

I don't understand this at all. OKC is a very young team, we probably haven't seen the best basketball out of any of their top players and yet they won 55 games last season. New Orleans won just 46 and is less likely to top their record than OKC. Orlando won just 52 last season and LA only won 2 more games than OKC, but they're an aging team and they went down a level in terms of their coach.

So why would OKC's record be a problem out of all of the candidates you mentioned?

BlackWhiteGreen
07-18-2011, 10:27 AM
Im hoping itll be the 7th or 8th best player in the league again.

Locked_Up_Tonight
07-18-2011, 10:45 AM
I don't understand this at all. OKC is a very young team, we probably haven't seen the best basketball out of any of their top players and yet they won 55 games last season. New Orleans won just 46 and is less likely to top their record than OKC. Orlando won just 52 last season and LA only won 2 more games than OKC, but they're an aging team and they went down a level in terms of their coach.

What has Durant done differently last year than he did a year or two ago?

I don't see it. The last half of the 08-09 season he was averaging 30 PPG on decent FG%.... he doesn't rebound any better. He doesn't pass any better. He doesn't really defend. (IMO this is the Durant will shall see for the rest of his career.)

As for team improvement.... I just don't see all the upside....

ShaqAttack3234
07-18-2011, 04:27 PM
What has Durant done differently last year than he did a year or two ago?

I don't see it. The last half of the 08-09 season he was averaging 30 PPG on decent FG%.... he doesn't rebound any better. He doesn't pass any better. He doesn't really defend. (IMO this is the Durant will shall see for the rest of his career.)

As for team improvement.... I just don't see all the upside....

And how about Westbrook, Ibaka, Harden ect. You're telling me none of them will improve? Durant can still definitely get better. What is he? 22?

iDunk
07-18-2011, 04:50 PM
1. Carmelo Anthony
2. Kevin Durant
3. LeBron James
4. Derrick Rose
5. Dwight Howard

SteveNashMVPcro
07-18-2011, 05:40 PM
1.Dirk/Durant
2.Durant/Dirk
3.Rose