PDA

View Full Version : Clyde Drexler vs. Allen Iverson

ThaSwagg3r
06-22-2011, 04:18 PM
I see a lot of comparison threads today, this vs. that, player a vs. player b, so I decided to make my own, I remember having a disagreement with a fellow poster here about this. I personally think Drexler was better while the other poster thought Iverson was. So I wanted to ask you guys, who do you think was better between the two, and who do you have ranked higher in your all-time list (or all-time SG list)? I have Drexler for both.

http://cdn2.sbnation.com/imported_assets/138952/drexler13.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_ECMo0K1qQmg/TMXKC48cDyI/AAAAAAAABho/VpgrQBX4jL0/s1600/iverson_295_050327.jpg

^^ In case you forgot what they look like......

blablabla
06-22-2011, 04:19 PM
all time list drexler
as a player iverson

Hammertime
06-22-2011, 04:21 PM
Is this for realz?

Both of these players could lead their teams to finals as first options, but only one of them could play a support role of any kind, let alone on a championship team.

Smoke117
06-22-2011, 04:28 PM
Drexler was much better then the chucker.

Joshumitsu
06-22-2011, 04:29 PM
I'm biased and too young to remember all of Clyde's games but he played solid defense, was the 2nd best SG behind MJ, and shot at a higher FG%. He's also called "The Gylde" for a reason.

He wasn't as reliable of a scorer as Iverson was, though. His reputation was that he, and the rest of the Blazers, tended to choke when things got too rough. Whereas, Iverson was a pure scorer (despite claims of being a ball hog).

Bigsmoke
06-22-2011, 06:45 PM
Allen Iverson

B-Low
06-22-2011, 07:30 PM
Iverson for both ?'s

L.Kizzle
06-22-2011, 09:03 PM
Drexler, I have slightly higher. All are lumped into a group of guards that also included Gary Payton and Jason Kidd and a few more.

Iverson was the better scorer and at penetration, Drexler was better at everything else.

Clyde was the better defender, shooter (well maybe about even), passer and rebounder. Both played the passing lanes great. Drexler did lead his team to the Finals in the late 80s and early 90s.

Micku
06-22-2011, 09:18 PM
Clyde Drexler is a more all around player than A.I is. Clyde Drexler is a solid defender, an underrated passer, and a better rebounder (size).

Iverson is a better scorer, but his efficiency is not all that great. Iverson used to force more shots, but Drexler could never score like Iverson could. But Drexler used to fall in love with the jumper, when it isn't the best choice.

Iverson is better at getting at the rim, Drexler is a better finisher once he gets to the rim.

But what separates them probably is more team play probably. Regardless, both are great players.

markymark
06-23-2011, 09:27 AM
The dude from g-town.

28renyoy
06-23-2011, 09:29 AM
Drexler and anyone saying otherwise just doesn't understand basketball

NBASTATMAN
06-23-2011, 01:44 PM
Give me drexler over and over against AI.. AI was a huge liability on defense and on offense as well at times..

Rysio
06-23-2011, 01:49 PM
the one with 4 scoring titles.

kaiiu
06-23-2011, 01:52 PM
Drexler Wouldnt Even Be A Top 10 Sg For This Decade. Hell He Wouldnt Even Be A Top 5 Sg Rite Now

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
06-23-2011, 01:53 PM
Drexler Wouldnt Even Be A Top 10 Sg For This Decade. Hell He Wouldnt Even Be A Top 5 Sg Rite Now

Funny guy :oldlol:

markymark
06-23-2011, 06:01 PM
Funny guy :oldlol:

He said nothing but pp (the truth)

PowerGlove
06-23-2011, 06:08 PM
HI RG, let the shit go, this is almost as old as Yao vs Dwight.

Why are you still mad at me?:oldlol:

We all know the answer is THE ANSWER. F&ck this stupid ass question, choosing Drexler over Iverson is like taking Vince over AI.

game3524
06-23-2011, 07:05 PM
Give me drexler over and over against AI.. AI was a huge liability on defense and on offense as well at times..

Prime AI actually wasn't. His defensive numbers are pretty much the same as Billups if I am correct.

28renyoy
06-23-2011, 07:06 PM
HI RG, let the shit go, this is almost as old as Yao vs Dwight.

Why are you still mad at me?:oldlol:

We all know the answer is THE ANSWER. F&ck this stupid ass question, choosing Drexler over Iverson is like taking Vince over AI.

:roll:

you're an idiot. Drexler shits on both of them

PowerGlove
06-23-2011, 07:08 PM

you're an idiot. Drexler shits on both of them

Drexler shits on AI???:facepalm

rodman91
06-23-2011, 08:36 PM
Drexler was more all around..But Iverson was better player.

Iverson won MVP.
Iverson has 6th best ppg in NBA history.
Iverson has 2nd best ppg in NBA Playoffs history.
Iverson has 4 scoring titles.3rd best after Jordan&Wilt,tied with George Gervin.
Iverson led stealing 3 times.Most in nba history.(tied with 4 other players)

Drexler got a ring as sidekick to Hakeem.

Also they are 2 different type of players. Drexler vs Pippen is ultimate comparision.

L.Kizzle
06-23-2011, 09:15 PM
No white text

Da Heroic One
06-24-2011, 02:10 AM
Those taking Iverson are probably the same people that would take Rose over Wade.

atljonesbro
06-24-2011, 02:13 AM
Those taking Drexler are the same people who would take him over Wade :p

markymark
06-24-2011, 07:13 AM
AI has been ranked above drexler in a couple of top 100 GOAT rankings already. It's moot bringing this up.

Smoke117
06-24-2011, 07:35 AM
Drexler was more all around..But Iverson was better player.

Iverson won MVP.
Iverson has 6th best ppg in NBA history.
Iverson has 2nd best ppg in NBA Playoffs history.
Iverson has 4 scoring titles.3rd best after Jordan&Wilt,tied with George Gervin.
Iverson led stealing 3 times.Most in nba history.(tied with 4 other players)

Drexler got a ring as sidekick to Hakeem.

Also they are 2 different type of players. Drexler vs Pippen is ultimate comparision.

Drexler led a team twice to the finals as it's best player...something Iverson only did once. I fail to see how getting a ring as a sidekick to Hakeem matters here. Who cares if he led the league in scoring four times...it was on crap efficiency every one of those seasons. He led the league in scoring because he took so many shots...not because he was so great. Same goes for playoffs...he has a .489 lifetime playoff ts%...that is atrocious. All the steals are is an example of how he would never stay on his man and was constantly just trying to go for the steal to the detriment of his teams defense. Most over glorified player to ever lace up a pair of nikes.

28renyoy
06-24-2011, 07:50 AM
AI has been ranked above drexler in a couple of top 100 GOAT rankings already. It's moot bringing this up.

And Bill Russell is generally ranked ahead of Shaq & Duncan in the GOAT rankings. Who you starting a franchise with?

markymark
06-24-2011, 10:44 AM
Drexler led a team twice to the finals as it's best player...something Iverson only did once. I fail to see how getting a ring as a sidekick to Hakeem matters here. Who cares if he led the league in scoring four times...it was on crap efficiency every one of those seasons. He led the league in scoring because he took so many shots...not because he was so great. Same goes for playoffs...he has a .489 lifetime playoff ts%...that is atrocious. All the steals are is an example of how he would never stay on his man and was constantly just trying to go for the steal to the detriment of his teams defense. Most over glorified player to ever lace up a pair of nikes.

He wore Reebok. :)

NugzHeat3
06-24-2011, 10:46 AM
Credibility lost cause AI didn't rock Nikes.

markymark
06-24-2011, 10:49 AM
And Bill Russell is generally ranked ahead of Shaq & Duncan in the GOAT rankings. Who you starting a franchise with?

Shaq, definitely. But it's irrelevant to the Drexler-AI comparison. Still AI, easily.

miles berg
06-24-2011, 10:52 AM
Clyde Drexler by a landslide,

Sooooooooo much better than Iverson ever was.

rodman91
06-24-2011, 11:07 AM
Iverson is so underrated....and still over Drexler in rankings! :D

Kblaze8855
06-24-2011, 11:18 AM
Drexler made the finals 3 times...but id say he only led 1 of the teams. If that. People talking about those Blazers need to be mentioning Terry Porter as much as Drexler. The first time they made the finals Drexler did 21/7 Kersey did 21/8, and porter did 21/7...and Porter not Drexler was the closer on those teams to me. Not always. But it was more than 50/50. Porter was the truth for a while there and people act like he didnt exist.

He was playing as an equal vs most anyone he faced at his peak. He gave Stockton 41/7/6 on only 14 shots in the 92 playoffs. Could call him Drexlers sidekick. But to me...remove him you lost just as soon as you would if you removed Drexler.

Terry was cold.

Laimbeer_Rodman
06-24-2011, 02:50 PM
Drexler made the finals 3 times...but id say he only led 1 of the teams. If that. People talking about those Blazers need to be mentioning Terry Porter as much as Drexler. The first time they made the finals Drexler did 21/7 Kersey did 21/8, and porter did 21/7...and Porter not Drexler was the closer on those teams to me. Not always. But it was more than 50/50. Porter was the truth for a while there and people act like he didnt exist.

He was playing as an equal vs most anyone he faced at his peak. He gave Stockton 41/7/6 on only 14 shots in the 92 playoffs. Could call him Drexlers sidekick. But to me...remove him you lost just as soon as you would if you removed Drexler.

Terry was cold.
So true

L.Kizzle
06-24-2011, 02:59 PM

Terry was cold.
I can see what U sayin. But u gotta look past the numbers. Porter was an all star but take him off the team and the blazers are still a contender. Take Clyde off and they might miss the Playoffs. His impact.

kentatm
06-24-2011, 03:21 PM

:oldlol:

you're funny. you should try stand up.

Drexler for me and its not even a question.

Iverson absolutely never understood how to be a team player. Its why he isn't even in the league anymore. I honestly think AI is the most overrated player of the last 20 years.

Kblaze8855
06-24-2011, 04:57 PM
I can see what U sayin. But u gotta look past the numbers. Porter was an all star but take him off the team and the blazers are still a contender. Take Clyde off and they might miss the Playoffs. His impact.

I assume you that if I wasnt looking past the numbers I wouldnt even bring Ports up. He rarely had anything similar to Clydes numbers. But Porter was the matchup problem often. He hit the big shots. Big 3s. Ran the team really.

Clyde was great. But take either of them away the team isnt doing nearly what it did.

Bigsmoke
06-24-2011, 05:00 PM
I assume you that if I wasnt looking past the numbers I wouldnt even bring Ports up. He rarely had anything similar to Clydes numbers. But Porter was the matchup problem often. He hit the big shots. Big 3s. Ran the team really.

Clyde was great. But take either of them away the team isnt doing nearly what it did.

TRUTH!

hell.. how about L.Kizzle break down how would the 01 Sixers do without Iverson.

rodman91
06-24-2011, 06:44 PM
http://dimemag.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/dime20_iverson.jpg
http://assets.espn.go.com/sportscenter/images/AllenIversonNBACareerRanks.jpg

:violin:

L.Kizzle
06-24-2011, 07:36 PM
TRUTH!

hell.. how about L.Kizzle break down how would the 01 Sixers do without Iverson.
Not very good, but what does that prove. You see how the Bulls did in 94 without Jordan ...

rodman91
06-24-2011, 07:58 PM
Not very good, but what does that prove. You see how the Bulls did in 94 without Jordan ...
Mutombo,Snow,Lynch,Mckie,Hill? Aaron Mckie leading offense.:oldlol:

94 bulls still had:Pippen,Grant,Armstrong,Kukoc and better bench players.

L.Kizzle
06-24-2011, 08:14 PM
Mutombo,Snow,Lynch,Mckie,Hill? Aaron Mckie leading offense.:oldlol:

94 bulls still had:Pippen,Grant,Armstrong,Kukoc and better bench players.
Exactly my point, what does that have to do with anything, not to you, but whoever bought up AI absent from the 01 Sixers.

PowerGlove
06-25-2011, 03:16 PM

you're funny. you should try stand up.

Drexler for me and its not even a question.

Iverson absolutely never understood how to be a team player. Its why he isn't even in the league anymore. I honestly think AI is the most overrated player of the last 20 years.

jrong
06-25-2011, 03:38 PM
Good comparison. Or perhaps bad comparison, because both of these players are frequently overrated. Drexler was better all-around, but you could make the argument that Iverson's explosive scoring ability compensates for some of those other departments. I'll go Drexler on this one by a smidgeon.

AllenIverson3
06-25-2011, 03:49 PM
Bubba Chuck

L.Kizzle
06-25-2011, 03:57 PM
Good comparison. Or perhaps bad comparison, because both of these players are frequently overrated. Drexler was better all-around, but you could make the argument that Iverson's explosive scoring ability compensates for some of those other departments. I'll go Drexler on this one by a smidgeon.
Drexler high in ppg was basically 28 ppg, AI's high was 33, so a 5 pt difference in their highs. And AI did it taking 5 more fg attempts. If Clyde shot about 25 times, which is what AI did in his prime, he'd score more than AI. Clyde prime he averaged between 18-20.

Stringer Bell
06-25-2011, 04:25 PM
Drexler. Not as explosive, but better all-around, more efficient, and not as difficult a player to work around stylistically.

GOBB
06-25-2011, 04:28 PM
Drexler high in ppg was basically 28 ppg, AI's high was 33, so a 5 pt difference in their highs. And AI did it taking 5 more fg attempts. If Clyde shot about 25 times, which is what AI did in his prime, he'd score more than AI. Clyde prime he averaged between 18-20.

How do you know? If he took 5 more shots he could score just as much as AI and less efficiently. :confusedshrug:

NugzHeat3
06-25-2011, 04:42 PM

Dude, Drexler wasn't anywhere near the scorer AI was.

With the way you're arguing, I can say lots of people were better scorers than AI was.

People will always rag on Iverson' FG% but they'll never understand the amount of bailout shots he took, the fact that getting shots up is a skill and the amount of bad shots he had took since nobody on the Sixers could create worth a lick.

Drexler used to get lots of points in transition with the way the Blazers were set up so you can't ignore that.

L.Kizzle
06-25-2011, 04:49 PM

With the way you're arguing, I can say lots of people were better scorers than AI was.

People will always rag on Iverson' FG% but they'll never understand the amount of bailout shots he took, the fact that getting shots up is a skill and the amount of bad shots he had took since nobody on the Sixers could create worth a lick.

Drexler used to get lots of points in transition with the way the Blazers were set up so you can't ignore that.
I never said Clyde was as explosive as A I cause he wasn't I'm saying if he shot more, he could score just as much. If you give a 49% shooter 5 more shots he'd make more than he'd miss. I clearly stated ppg not scring, there is a difference.

wTFaMonkey
06-25-2011, 05:04 PM
It's no contest. Clyde was better than Iverson on almost all faucets. Better passer, scorer, finisher, defender, teammate. Only thing I can see Iverson being better than Clyde was his handles and quickness.

NugzHeat3
06-25-2011, 05:12 PM
I never said Clyde was as explosive as A I cause he wasn't I'm saying if he shot more, he could score just as much. If you give a 49% shooter 5 more shots he'd make more than he'd miss. I clearly stated ppg not scring, there is a difference.

That's the thing. Clyde wouldn't be a 49% shooter in Iverson's situation.

The Blazers had a stacked and balanced offensive line up.

Drexler used to get lots of easy buckets in transition since that Blazer team ran so much.

He would not get those looks in Iverson's situation where the team was slow and relied so much on Iverson's talents. I don't think he can create as well offensively in half-court sets since AI is better at getting to the lane and drawing fouls.

I don't think Drexler is a better shooter either although he looks like one cause AI's shot selection is so horrible.

In today's league, what Iverson brings to the table is hard to overlook.

Samurai Swoosh
06-25-2011, 05:13 PM

Same goes for Derrick Rose to a lesser extent. And good post, by the way.

ShaqAttack3234
06-25-2011, 05:30 PM

Getting off shots is a skill itself, having the stamina and creativity to do it is something that not everyone can do. As others have mentioned, Clyde got a lot of points in transition, less of those opportunities would exist had he played on Iverson's Sixers. When Iverson played on a run and gun team in 2008, he averaged 26.4 ppg on 46 FG%/57 TS% and 19 FGA per game. Drexler's career high was 27.2 ppg on 50 FG%/56 TS% and 21.4 FGA per game on a faster team in 1989.

In terms of being able to get off a high volume of shots, Iverson was clearly superior to Drexler in that regard, very few have had his stamina, quickness or creativity. Drexler was well rounded, but it's obvious when watch the 2 that adding 5 shots per game for Clyde isn't going to guarantee 33 ppg.

Personally, I think it's obvious that Iverson was the better volume scorer capable of putting up a higher number of points.

bizil
06-25-2011, 07:24 PM
This is the dilemna AI runs into at the 2 guard spot. He's an undersized SG and compared to GREAT all around twos like MJ, Kobe, and Drexler. All of those guys can play PG, SG, and SF. And all are Batman scoring types. They also are very good to great on D. Then you have West and Wade who can run PG and SG. Plus they are better all around players than AI and Batman scorers. AI can run PG as well, but the other floor game facets aren't on the level of the others. AI needs to be in the discussion for the best little man ever along with Zeke and Tiny. Or he needs to be compared to SG's like Gervin, Maravich, Ray Allen, Miller, and Monroe.

You can't really compare him to guys like MJ, Kobe, Clyde, and Wade, They are much bigger and awesome all around. A comparison with West is a better matchup size wise. But West at 6'2 to 6'3 still has 3-4 inches on AI. And once again has an epic all around arsenal and Batman takeover ability like the others. And West is arguably the greatest shooter of all time to boot. West is unique cause he's an all time great shooter AND an excellent slasher with underrated athletic ability. But AI is still great and HAS to be included in a top 10 GOAT SG list. I just feel he can be ranked no higher than sixth though. MJ, Kobe, Wade, West and Clyde are the Fab 5 two guards. But AI like Dirk for the PF's or D-Rose for the PG's are matchup nightmares that can make up for the things they lack in comparison to other great players at their respective positons. A Batman scorer who can carry a team ALWAYS has to be given the ultimate respect. Pound for pound wise, AI is in rarefied air in that regard.

Duncan21formvp
06-25-2011, 11:19 PM
Drexler easily.

magnax1
06-25-2011, 11:28 PM
You can't just shoot more, lol. Getting off a shot is not something you can do whenever you want. Drexler just wasn't the scorer AI was, plain and simple.

Bigsmoke
06-26-2011, 12:45 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2uOKt5xKu4

:rockon:

markymark
06-27-2011, 10:10 AM
It's no contest. Clyde was better than Iverson on almost all faucets. Better passer, scorer, finisher, defender, teammate. Only thing I can see Iverson being better than Clyde was his handles and quickness.

Passer - How? I've seen AI throw sick dimes countless times.

Scorer - Shouldn't even be an argument.

Finisher - Being able to make a shot with two guys with a foot and 100lb advantage over you I think makes you and excellent finisher.

Defender - Gotta give this to Drexler because of his height. Although AI was brilliant in playing the passing lanes during his prime.

Teammate - AI never had a beef with a teammate. His former teammates in Denver and Philly only had praises for him.

JohnnySic
06-27-2011, 10:13 AM
Iverson had a longer prime.

Drexler's peak was killed dead by Jordan in '92, when Drexler was only 30. Sure, he gained some brownie points by riding Hakeem's coattails to a ring, but overall, I still go with AI.

Da Heroic One
07-02-2011, 03:34 AM
Passer - How? I've seen AI throw sick dimes countless times.

Scorer - Shouldn't even be an argument.

Finisher - Being able to make a shot with two guys with a foot and 100lb advantage over you I think makes you and excellent finisher.

Defender - Gotta give this to Drexler because of his height. Although AI was brilliant in playing the passing lanes during his prime.

Teammate - AI never had a beef with a teammate. His former teammates in Denver and Philly only had praises for him.