PDA

View Full Version : Knowing what we know now from the '96 draft...

Scholar
06-23-2011, 03:46 PM
Who would you have chosen #1 overall if you were the GM?

Loneshot
06-23-2011, 03:53 PM
I'd still take A.I. I don't feel like Nash or Kobe could have done what he did with the same teammates.

asdf1990
06-23-2011, 03:54 PM
http://www.celticstown.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/antoine-walker-shimmy.gif
http://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/cc501/bu22y/funny%20shit/04442a8d.gif

swanson333
06-23-2011, 04:13 PM
I'd still take A.I. I don't feel like Nash or Kobe could have done what he did with the same teammates.

Tell me your kidding?? I don't even like kobe but to say you would still draft A.I. ahead of him is rediculous! Every GM in the league would take Kobe #1.

Rysio
06-23-2011, 04:15 PM
Tell me your kidding?? I don't even like kobe but to say you would still draft A.I. ahead of him is rediculous! Every GM in the league would take Kobe #1.
great first post. :applause:

Anti Hero
06-23-2011, 04:17 PM
It would be hard to guess at the time that Kobe would be the second coming but if I did know then it would easily be him.

BlackJoker23
06-23-2011, 04:19 PM
great first post. :applause:
holy shit.first phucking post in 5 years :roll:

Joey Zaza
06-23-2011, 04:33 PM
If we re-draft it today, knowing what I know (assuming Kobe will play for my team and not whine his way to LA, right?)

Allen Iverson
Ray Allen
Antoine Walker
Marcus Camby
Shareef Abdur-Rahim
Zydrunas Ilgauskas
Stephon Marbury
Kobe Bryant
Steve Nash
Jermaine O'Neal
Kerry Kittles
Peja Stojaković
Erick Dampier
D.fisher
Tony Delk

Here's the thing, my job as a GM, especially on a bad team (which gets a good pick) is on the line. I want the guys who can do it right away and fit perfectly into whatever else I have in mind.

The guys who took 3ish years to develop are of no value to me. They'll get some other GM a raise, and a title, not me...Ill be sitting around my house saying "I knew that guy would be good."

So - AI, Ray, Walker are my first 3.

Then I went with size because size does not come cheap. Z was specifically good early, the foot injuries will get me fired in 2 yrs, though.

Steph was good quickly, but the worst attitutde in the draft. He'll get me fired.

Then came the projects, Kobe, Nash, J.O'n. I'm fired by the time they get good, but at least its on my resume.

Then role players. No one cares. Hopefull by that time in the draft my team is pretty good anyway and these guys make their small contributions and I'm a genius.

jjayfive
06-23-2011, 04:52 PM
knowing what I know now... kobe, nash, ai, ray

ray allen was the safest pick out of the four.. nash was a project since he came out of santa clara.. AI was gonna sell tickets and he was the best player in college.. kobe was a project.. but west drafted him even though they had eddie jones...

i would draft on potential and talent.. not needs..

TheMarkMadsen
06-23-2011, 04:57 PM
If we re-draft it today, knowing what I know (assuming Kobe will play for my team and not whine his way to LA, right?)

Allen Iverson
Ray Allen
Antoine Walker
Marcus Camby
Shareef Abdur-Rahim
Zydrunas Ilgauskas
Stephon Marbury
Kobe Bryant
Steve Nash
Jermaine O'Neal
Kerry Kittles
Peja Stojaković
Erick Dampier
D.fisher
Tony Delk

Here's the thing, my job as a GM, especially on a bad team (which gets a good pick) is on the line. I want the guys who can do it right away and fit perfectly into whatever else I have in mind.

The guys who took 3ish years to develop are of no value to me. They'll get some other GM a raise, and a title, not me...Ill be sitting around my house saying "I knew that guy would be good."

So - AI, Ray, Walker are my first 3.

Then I went with size because size does not come cheap. Z was specifically good early, the foot injuries will get me fired in 2 yrs, though.

Steph was good quickly, but the worst attitutde in the draft. He'll get me fired.

Then came the projects, Kobe, Nash, J.O'n. I'm fired by the time they get good, but at least its on my resume.

Then role players. No one cares. Hopefull by that time in the draft my team is pretty good anyway and these guys make their small contributions and I'm a genius.

Knowing what you know now you'd want to be known as the guy who drafted the same man who went on web cam and ate vasoline (which you knew he would) over Kobe Bryant? Flawless Logic

Samurai Swoosh
06-23-2011, 05:00 PM
I would've loved to have seen Kobe's career be played out in Philly. His hometown, and where his dad played. Take Iverson's scoring years, and add 3 - 5 ppg onto each average and we'd have Kobe. His career averages would've been a lot higher. And we would've saw possibly more 81 point type games.

GOBB
06-23-2011, 05:14 PM
I'm still taking Allen Iverson. Call it bias. Call it stupid. Feel free to say whatever your heat desires. Instant impact player not only for the franchise but the NBA. He introduced a new culture to the game. Sure people rocked braids before AI. He wasnt the first human to. But to see the transformation with players in how they appeared from hair, tatts you name it? Bringing that hip hop prescence as well? Not that that has sh!t to do with a team if you're the GM. It doesnt, just useless info i'm giving. But call it bias, fanboy.

AI beasted in college and was exciting as hell to watch.

Kobe is great, but knowing what I know? He was in a perfect situation right out the gate. I'd like to see how his career unfolds or peoples replies if you didnt take Kobe #1 had he not played in L.A with Shaq.

Give me AI, did I say that enough? :lol

Someone should create a thread of merged drafts. Say 1996 and 2003. How would a first round go.

I would've loved to have seen Kobe's career be played out in Philly. Living in Lower Merion playing summers in Philly, and where his dad played. Take Iverson's scoring years, and add 3 - 5 ppg onto each average and we'd have Kobe. His career averages would've been a lot higher. And we would've saw possibly more 81 point type games.

Fixed

bluechox2
06-23-2011, 05:29 PM
knowing what i know based on talent and longevity:

Kobe Bryant
Allen Iverson
Ray Allen
Steve Nash
Antoine Walker
Marcus Camby
Zydrunas Ilgauskas
Stephon Marbury
Jermaine O'Neal
Peja Stojaković
Shareef Abdur-Rahim
Kerry Kittles
Erick Dampier
D.fisher
Tony Delk

R.I.P.
06-23-2011, 05:36 PM
knowing what i know based on talent and longevity:

Kobe Bryant
Allen Iverson
Ray Allen
Steve Nash
Antoine Walker
Marcus Camby
Zydrunas Ilgauskas
Stephon Marbury
Jermaine O'Neal
Peja Stojaković
Shareef Abdur-Rahim
Kerry Kittles
Erick Dampier
D.fisher
Tony Delk

Peja goes at #5. 10 years of excellent shooting with at least 16 PPG, 5 RPG, 2 APG for a small forward.

AMISTILLILL
06-23-2011, 05:38 PM

They should build monuments in honor of this first post. I applaud you, kind sir.

Haymaker
06-23-2011, 05:48 PM
holy shit.first phucking post in 5 years :roll: He was waiting for the exact comment so he could reply. That's discipline.

The Iron Fist
06-23-2011, 06:07 PM

You mean having the DPOY & RPG leader, and 6MOY on the same team?

rodman91
06-23-2011, 06:13 PM
Iverson.:rockon:

R.I.P.
06-23-2011, 06:16 PM

Really enjoyed your post. Looking forward to hearing from you again...........in five years.

DirtySanchez
06-23-2011, 06:18 PM
Iverson.:rockon:

Tell us why? Or do you just have one of those agendas?

AI was great but his style of play only lasted for how long with all the bumps and bruises. Also take away A.I.'s speed and you are left with?

Kobe will last as a dominant force in your franchise longer. Plays better defense and is a more versatile player then A.I. all that is proven over time.

So again why would you be a moron and take A.I. over Kobe?

NugzHeat3
06-23-2011, 06:27 PM
Knowing what we know now kills the whole point of drafting. Kobe would go 1st.

Back then, I'm still drafting AI.

Roy Williams who coached MJ as an assistant at UNC and saw AI during his coaching years at Georgetown said AI might be the best guard he's ever seen.

AI had unreal potential. He was a great defensive player too playing tenacious full court pressure defense and stripping players straight up. John Thompson really committed on that end until Brown and Croce gave him the green light to chuck. He was also more of a team oriented player in college.

AI is one of the most underachieving players ever despite having a great career.

PowerGlove
06-23-2011, 06:29 PM
Kobe going to a garbage team sitting behind Jerry Stackhouse would have worked REALLY WELL. SMH @ some of these posters. Kobe would have been crying by year three.

rodman91
06-23-2011, 06:30 PM
Tell us why? Or do you just have one of those agendas?

AI was great but his style of play only lasted for how long with all the bumps and bruises. Also take away A.I.'s speed and you are left with?

Kobe will last as a dominant force in your franchise longer. Plays better defense and is a more versatile player then A.I. all that is proven over time.

So again why would you be a moron and take A.I. over Kobe?

Iverson
Mutombo
Eric Snow.
George Lynch
Tyron Hill
had same record in regular season with Shaq & Kobe lakers.Reached finals.

Kobe Bryant
Lamar Odom
Caron Butler
Chucky Atkins
Chris Mihm.
had one of the worst record of Lakers franchise,missed playoffs.

Kobe had 2 seasons before Gasol arrives. Only success was 1st round loss.

I'm not moron, i just don't share bromance you have with kobe.

DirtySanchez
06-23-2011, 06:34 PM
Iverson
Mutombo
Eric Snow.
George Lynch
Tyron Hill

Kobe Bryant
Lamar Odom
Caron Butler
Chucky Atkins
Chris Mihm.

You are taking out the fact that Allen's Sixers teams played in the JV East back then. And Kobe's teams before Gasol, played in the West where the 8th seed had 50 win game seasons.

Playoffs he missed Kobe was injured.

And I would take Iverson's team over a team that had Smush Parker and Kwame Brown as their starters. Stop being ignorant.

ImmortalD24
06-23-2011, 06:34 PM
Eh.. people are so willingly dumb, it isn't even funny.

Lakers' trade for Bryant has been misconstrued

By John Delong | Journal Reporter
Published: June 18, 2008

CHARLOTTE - Revisionist history is always fascinating.

It's not always accurate, but it's fascinating.

The Charlotte Hornets drafted Kobe Bryant with the 13th pick in the 1996 NBA Draft and promptly traded him to the Los Angeles Lakers for Vlade Divac.

Over the years, that story has been told, retold and embellished so much that the reality of that trade and the current perception are farther apart than, oh, Charlotte and Los Angeles. It's a timely topic because throughout this year's NBA Finals between the Lakers and Boston Celtics, we've heard all the revisionist history again. We've heard how Kobe and his agent shunned the Hornets, threatened that Kobe wouldn't play for the Hornets, and therefore orchestrated the trade to the Lakers. There has been more talk in Charlotte about Kobe and the Hornets the past two weeks than there has been about anything concerning the Bobcats.

A look back into the archives shows that the notion that Kobe orchestrated the trade is bogus. Kobe, in an interview during the 2000 Finals when the Lakers beat Indiana for the NBA title, said emphatically that he would have gladly played in Charlotte. Sure, he wanted to play for the Lakers, but who wouldn't? He also said that had he gone to college, he would have signed with Duke, so he liked the area.

And those who were involved in the wheeling and dealing at the time of the trade shoot down all the legends that have developed over the years.

"The deal was actually done a day ahead of time, and it was Vlade for a player to be named," said Bill Branch, the Hornets' head scout at the time who still operates out of Charlotte as a scout for the Seattle-now-Oklahoma City Sonics. "If I remember right, they didn't even tell us who they wanted us to pick until about five minutes before the pick was made. So it was never a matter of us actually drafting Kobe."

The trade was more about the Lakers' pursuit of Shaquille O'Neal in free agency and the Hornets' need to acquire a center than it was about Bryant.

In order to get far enough under the salary cap to make a valid pitch to O'Neal, the Lakers needed to unload Divac's contract, preferably to a team under the salary cap and preferably for a draft pick. The Hornets had traded Alonzo Mourning the previous year, were without a bona fide center, and were well under the cap after renouncing the rights to free agent Kenny Anderson. They would trade Larry Johnson to New York for Anthony Mason later that summer.

The Hornets reasoned that they could come out of the draft with no better than Vitaly Potapenko or Todd Fuller if they drafted a center, and jumped at the chance to trade the 13th pick for Divac.

"When you look back at it, when we made that trade, here was a 17-year-old kid who had played in high school," said Bob Bass, the Hornets' executive vice president of basketball operations at the time. "Twelve other teams passed on him. We made a decision to win now and not later. We had Dave Cowens as our first-year coach, and I wanted to give him a chance to win. I knew if we got Divac in here, we'd win. I didn't feel the same about Bryant. Without Divac, I thought we might have won 25 games."

The Hornets won 54 games, then a franchise record, the next season with Divac.

The Lakers might have been high on Bryant, but this was more about clearing up the cap room to make a run at O'Neal, whose contract was up in Orlando. Marc Fleisher, Divac's agent, remembers that the Lakers had a trade worked out to send Divac to Atlanta for the 25th pick if anything fell through with the Hornets. Had that scenario played out, there's little or no way that Bryant would have fallen all the way to the 25th pick, so Bryant and the Lakers couldn't have orchestrated anything.

"There were three teams involved at first -- Charlotte, Atlanta and Sacramento," Fleisher said. "Sacramento didn't work out for whatever reason, and then it was basically Charlotte or Atlanta. They asked us where Vlade would rather go, and he said Charlotte."

"Jerry West might be the only person who can really answer that, but I just think it (Bryant's stardom) would be very hard to predict, because you've got stories of guys who turned out good and stories of guys who turned out bad," Branch said. "The year before, L.A. wasn't even in the draft and they made a move to get into the second round at the last second, and they picked Frankie King out of Western Carolina. They specifically made a move to get one kid. So when you see moves like that and then they go for Kobe, you've got to think they're taking stabs.

"And I don't mean that negatively. I just mean for someone to say now that they knew Michael Jordan was going to be what he was, they're kidding themselves. We all thought Kobe was going to be good. But how do you really know?"

snipped out portions... entire article: http://www2.journalnow.com/content/2008/jun/18/lakers-trade-for-bryant-has-been-misconstrued/

lakers_forever
06-23-2011, 06:35 PM
Iverson
Mutombo
Eric Snow.
George Lynch
Tyron Hill

Kobe Bryant
Lamar Odom
Caron Butler
Chucky Atkins
Chris Mihm.

:lol at this guy.

Kobe led a team with Smush Parker, Odom, Kwame Brown, Luke Walton in the starting lineup to 45 wins. What else did you want him to do?
Comparing that Sixers team to that Lakers is just insane.

Answer: If you replaced Kobe with a decent 2-guard (someone like Jamal Crawford) for the entire 2005-06 Lakers season, they would have won between 15 and 20 games. I can say that in complete confidence. Terrible team. When Smush Parker and Kwame Brown are your third- and fourth-best players, you shouldn't even be allowed to watch the playoffs on TV. Throw Kobe in the mix and they're headed for 45 wins. So he's been worth 25 victories for them. Minimum.

NugzHeat3
06-23-2011, 06:36 PM
Iverson
Mutombo
Eric Snow.
George Lynch
Tyron Hill

Kobe Bryant
Lamar Odom
Caron Butler
Chucky Atkins
Chris Mihm.

Get real man.

I like AI a hell of a lot more than Kobe but AI's team is clearly better.

They're both putrid offensively but AI's team is full of good defenders and scrappy role players.

Put Kobe on that team and you're still getting to the finals.

Funnyfuka
06-23-2011, 06:38 PM
Really enjoyed your post. Looking forward to hearing from you again...........in five years.

:roll:

The Iron Fist
06-23-2011, 06:41 PM
Iverson
Mutombo
Eric Snow.
George Lynch
Tyron Hill

Kobe Bryant
Lamar Odom
Caron Butler
Chucky Atkins
Chris Mihm.

I'm not moron, i just don't share bromance you have with kobe.

From the bolded, who was the DPOY and RPG leader?
Who was the 6MOY?

ImmortalD24
06-23-2011, 06:41 PM
Get real man.

I like AI a hell of a lot more than Kobe but AI's team is clearly better.

They're both putrid offensively but AI's team is full of good defenders and scrappy role players.

Put Kobe on that team and you're still getting to the finals.
Good post. In addiction, people seriously need to start considering the conference strength. Not all runs to the finals are equal.

The eastern conference has been the leastern conference from the time MJ retired till about 2007-08 season with the formation of the Boston Celtics. There's a reason why LeBron's 2007 Cavs made it to the finals and 08, 09 and 10 Cavs didn't even sniff near it.. and no it isn't because the Cavs roster got worse, it got infinitely better.. as did James.

I find it odd how people seem to overlook this glaring factor.

dbugz
06-23-2011, 06:42 PM
My favorite draft class of all time :bowdown:

I'll still take this guy a #1

http://thesportingsnarf.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/9696alleniversonrookiedraftpick1.jpg

ImmortalD24
06-23-2011, 06:43 PM
My favorite draft class of all time :bowdown:

I'll still take this guy a #1
Why?

rodman91
06-23-2011, 06:44 PM
You are taking out the fact that Allen's Sixers teams played in the JV East back then. And Kobe's teams before Gasol, played in the West where the 8th seed had 50 win game seasons.

Playoffs he missed Kobe was injured.

And I would take Iverson's team over a team that had Smush Parker and Kwame Brown as their starters. Stop being ignorant.

He always injured when he fails :lol

Iverson had 56 wins and best record after Spurs. Tied with Shaq&Kobe Lakers.Only decent player was 35 years old Mutombo.

Anyway,you would pick Kobe,I would pick Iverson.

Samurai Swoosh
06-23-2011, 06:50 PM
Iverson's Sixers were better than Kobe's '06 and '07 Lakers.

wang4three
06-23-2011, 06:51 PM
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_om16rvG1J-c/S522XkM-oMI/AAAAAAAAAT8/geAOG8XKBvw/3382295.jpg
That's right. Kerry Kittles.

NugzHeat3
06-23-2011, 06:52 PM
Good post. In addiction, people seriously need to start considering the conference strength. Not all runs to the finals are equal.

The eastern conference has been the leastern conference from the time MJ retired till about 2007-08 season with the formation of the Boston Celtics. There's a reason why LeBron's 2007 Cavs made it to the finals and 08, 09 and 10 Cavs didn't even sniff near it.. and no it isn't because the Cavs roster got worse, it got infinitely better.. as did James.

I find it odd how people seem to overlook this glaring factor.

Yeah, Philly benefitted from Hill's and Zo's injuries. That killed some of the comp in the East.

If Zo didn't go down that year, the Heat were gonna make the finals. We won 50 games with him out the entire year. Just imagine how insane the D would be.

Bowen, Grant, Mase, Timbug and Zo. :pimp:

Allstar24
06-23-2011, 06:58 PM
I would've loved to have seen Kobe's career be played out in Philly. His hometown, and where his dad played. Take Iverson's scoring years, and add 3 - 5 ppg onto each average and we'd have Kobe. His career averages would've been a lot higher. And we would've saw possibly more 81 point type games.
Thank god that didn't happen! He was too big/good for them...he belongs right here in LA.

Allen Iverson- washed up, now begging NBA teams to give him a second chance :oldlol:
Kobe Bryant- 5 rings, 3 MVPS, 7 finals appearances, multiple other accolades, Laker legend :pimp:

Anyone who would pick Iverson over Kobe, knowing how things turned out, must either be INSANE or just an idiot who doesn't want to admit Kobe is the greatest thing to come out of that draft. Or they are just too stupid to understand how basketball works...you know, guy with 5 rings > guy who's not even in the league anymore. Don't have to be too bright to grasp that.

PowerGlove
06-23-2011, 06:59 PM
Iverson's Sixers were better than Kobe's '06 and '07 Lakers.
Yes, Iverson's best team was better than Kobe's worst team....what does that prove?

dbugz
06-23-2011, 07:00 PM
This thread could have been much better if we exclude AI and Kobe on the list.

sh0wtime
06-23-2011, 07:01 PM

I can see how he thinks though, from the get go Allen Iverson was better, people seem to not remember (or dont know) that Kobe was even dubbed by some as simply the next Harold Miner, no skill, just vertical leap, he really was not good of a player coming in to the NBA, i mean not as good as most top draft Rookies (and Sophomores).

Then if you think realistically, what if Allen Iverson played with Shaq and Kobe didnt?

PowerGlove
06-23-2011, 07:02 PM
Thank god that didn't happen! He was too big/good for them...he belongs right here in LA.

Allen Iverson- washed up, now begging NBA teams to give him a second chance :oldlol:
Kobe Bryant- 5 rings, 3 MVPS, 7 finals appearances, multiple other accolades, Laker legend :pimp:

Anyone who would pick Iverson over Kobe, knowing how things turned out, must either be INSANE or just an idiot who doesn't want to admit Kobe is the greatest thing to come out of that draft. Or they are just too stupid to understand how basketball works...you know, guy with 5 rings > guy who's not even in the league anymore. Don't have to be too bright to grasp that.

Too bad you are too busy slurping Kobe to realize that Kobe just wasnt ready for that kind of spotlight. He was young and being a number one pick in a sports town as critical as Philly might have destroyed him. That's a ton of pressure for a guy who still has to fight for a starting spot unless they move Stack to the three.

game3524
06-23-2011, 07:09 PM
I would take Iverson, no question about it.

Kobe is/was the better player in the long run, but Iverson was NBA ready. The biggest problem we had was the drafts after though,if we had taking Pierce in 1998, we may have had a chance to compete for a championshp or two.

rodman91
06-23-2011, 07:18 PM
:lol @ Kobe stans.

Nobody would go crazy and call others morons if we picked Barkley over Duncan.
Because there is no Duncan stans. But when somebody pick Iverson over Kobe..all stans lose their minds.

Iverson.Former MVP.One of the rare guys reached finals with bad squad.3rd most scoring titles.6th best ppg in seasons history.2nd best ppg in playoffs.One of the best stealers.He was one of top players since 96 to 08.

It's not like we are taking Sam Bowie over Jordan.It's more like would you draft Wade or Lebron.

NugzHeat3
06-23-2011, 07:25 PM

Because there is no Duncan stans. But when somebody pick Iverson over Kobe..all stans lose their minds.

Iverson.Former MVP.One of the rare guys reached finals with bad squad.3rd most scoring titles.6th best ppg in seasons history.2nd best ppg in playoffs.One of the best stealers.He was one of top players since 96 to 08.

It's not like we are taking Sam Bowie over Jordan.It's more like would you draft Wade or Lebron.
Definitely not.

I don't see how anyone can draft AI ahead of Kobe knowing what we know now.

The only way I can see it is if someone thinks Kobe wouldn't become the same player that he is now. I don't feel that way. He was always talented and had potential. You had people declaring him the next MJ in the 98 all star game. The heir apparent.

You list Iverson's accomplishments and they're impressive but they're dwarfed by Kobe's. Really not seeing any case to be made for AI.

Back then? I'd agree but not now.

Zach Morris
06-23-2011, 07:31 PM
Has to be Kobe, then Allen Iverson.

Loneshot
06-23-2011, 07:35 PM
Kobe going to a garbage team sitting behind Jerry Stackhouse would have worked REALLY WELL. SMH @ some of these posters. Kobe would have been crying by year three.

Seriously. Kobe is my favorite player but you're silly if you think he could have done with A.I. with the same teams A.I. had to play with in Philly.

What's so far fetched about taking A.I. if you're Philly? I really don't think we get the same great Kobe if he doesn't play for LA.

Scholar
06-24-2011, 01:04 AM
Bump for others to respond

The Iron Fist
06-24-2011, 03:10 AM

How does having the DPOY & rebounding per game leader to go along with the 6MOY and solid defenders equate to having a bad squad?

Kombo
06-24-2011, 03:17 AM
I'd take Kobe but call me crazy because I'd take Ray Allen before AI or Nash. I think he fits too easy into any system. Nash took a little while to become what he is today. With AI you have to play AI ball.

bence23
06-24-2011, 03:52 AM
This thread is retarded. That's the point of the draft, you DON'T know.

iamgine
06-24-2011, 04:06 AM
I would take Iverson. Kobe would just bolt after his contract ended.

Ne 1
06-24-2011, 04:45 AM
People would honestly take Iverson over Kobe Bryant and even Steve Nash or Ray Allen knowing what we know today? :oldlol:

AI:

Positives = Amazing scorer

Negatives: Ball hogs, gambles on defense, complains about having to practice, refused his coaches orders, will ruin your teams chemistry, selfish, lazy, refused a smaller role with Denver so they traded him to Detroit, refused to come off the bench for Detroit so they traded him to Memphis, quit on Memphis, whined and said all he wanted to do is play baksetball, was signed by the Sixers after he retired because Ed Snider felt sorry for his teams former superstar and because Lou Williams was injured then he quit again, waited all summer wondering why nobody would sign him like a clueless dimwit, went to Europe and wasn't even a top player over there.

Sorry, but the guy was a complete joke in the second half of his career with constant defiance to regulation and order, and he also spit in the face of every great player who ever came off the bench later in their careers. He disrespected the game of baksetball and gave up on two different teams just because he wasn't getting his 30 shots a game, that is an absolute joke. Don't get me wrong he had great skills, was a unique talent and a top tier player from 1999 until the mid 00s, but he fell off entirely because of his own stupidity. He could have very well been a great backup for a contender and possibly could still be, but his selfishness cost him any chance at that.

d.bball.guy
06-24-2011, 04:57 AM
Knowing what we know now? I'll pick the 1st overall pick? I'll take Kobe because if I know what already happened today, I'll just trade Kobe for Vlade again.

iamgine
06-24-2011, 05:07 AM
People would honestly take Iverson over Kobe Bryant and even Steve Nash or Ray Allen knowing what we know today? :oldlol:

AI:

Positives = Amazing scorer

Negatives: Ball hogs, gambles on defense, complains about having to practice, refused his coaches orders, will ruin your teams chemistry, selfish, lazy, refused a smaller role with Denver so they traded him to Detroit, refused to come off the bench for Detroit so they traded him to Memphis, quit on Memphis, whined and said all he wanted to do is play baksetball, was signed by the Sixers after he retired because Ed Snider felt sorry for his teams former superstar and because Lou Williams was injured then he quit again, waited all summer wondering why nobody would sign him like a clueless dimwit, went to Europe and wasn't even a top player over there.

Sorry, but the guy was a complete joke in the second half of his career with constant defiance to regulation and order, and he also spit in the face of every great player who ever came off the bench later in their careers. He disrespected the game of baksetball and gave up on two different teams just because he wasn't getting his 30 shots a game, that is an absolute joke. Don't get me wrong he had great skills, was a unique talent and a top tier player from 1999 until the mid 00s, but he fell off entirely because of his own stupidity. He could have very well be a great backup for a contender and possibly could still be, but his selfishness cost him any chance at that.
You can always trade him before he becomes a complete joke. That's the advantage of knowing.

Doctor Rivers
06-24-2011, 06:08 AM
I can see how he thinks though, from the get go Allen Iverson was better, people seem to not remember (or dont know) that Kobe was even dubbed by some as simply the next Harold Miner, no skill, just vertical leap, he really was not good of a player coming in to the NBA, i mean not as good as most top draft Rookies (and Sophomores).

Then if you think realistically, what if Allen Iverson played with Shaq and Kobe didnt?

Wrong again.

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2011/05/26/remembering-a-different-kobe-bryant/

[QUOTE]What proved to Bryant that he could play

brownmamba00
06-24-2011, 06:27 AM
Kobe was ballin back in HS. :facepalm @ posters telling he had no talent and was the next Harold Miner:roll: :roll:

rodman91
06-24-2011, 11:43 AM
How does having the DPOY & rebounding per game leader to go along with the 6MOY and solid defenders equate to having a bad squad?

6MOY was from Philly because nobody in lineup can do anything offensively except Iverson.Second best scorer was a bench player!

Eric Snow as PG
George Lynch as SF
Tyron Hill as PF
Mutombo as C (last good years)

Only Mutombo had more than 10 points in that team in starting line up. (except iverson) And it was just 11.7 ppg.

Roster was horrible but Iverson & L.Brown made Sixers good team in those years.

Maniak
06-24-2011, 11:57 AM
Year three?

:oldlol: Tenth game.

24r2
06-24-2011, 12:03 PM

:oldlol:

Disaprine
06-24-2011, 01:24 PM
kerry kittles is the right answer for this thread.

Kobe was even dubbed by some as simply the next Harold Miner, no skill, just vertical leap, he really was not good of a player coming in to the NBA, i mean not as good as most top draft Rookies (and Sophomores).

:roll:

BoRiZgope
05-30-2013, 12:55 PM
... :)