PDA

View Full Version : Tim Duncan will retire soon and people won't give a damn

Tarik One
06-27-2011, 09:34 AM
and it's unfortunate that one of the best and most successful players ever will go out so unpraised by the general public.

bagelred
06-27-2011, 09:37 AM
Who is this "Tim Duncan" you speak of?

Orlando Magic
06-27-2011, 09:37 AM
Yeah... who the **** is Tim Duncan? Why the **** should we care about a name we've never heard of?

ImmortalD24
06-27-2011, 09:40 AM
:sleeping

Godzuki
06-27-2011, 09:41 AM
no big deal. AI is going out worse. Payton went out pretty bad. Duncan's had enough love for what he's done from fans/media already to last him 3 retirements of due credit.

JohnnySic
06-27-2011, 09:44 AM
What happens when Kobe retires? Will a million 'stans blast themselves? I hope so.

indiefan24
06-27-2011, 09:47 AM
If there is a lockout, it would be appropriate if the Spurs won the championship and Duncan rode into the sunset.

Go Getter
06-27-2011, 09:48 AM
Spurs fans are people and they will give a Damn. So will true NBA fans. I mean they are retiring not dying, what should the general public do in tour eyes to pay homage?

Dudes a b ball player not a war hero.

Harison
06-27-2011, 09:50 AM
People care, and its sad that this day is coming. Shaq just retired, AI flame out, Kobe is declining, KG on his last legs (although looks better than Duncan), Kidd, G.Hill and Nash will retire very soon too :(

Cant beat Father Time, and all players get the recognition they deserved. Except maybe AI, but he can only blame himself.

JohnnySic
06-27-2011, 10:10 AM
Paul Pierce is still going strong. That's good news.

Stuckey
06-27-2011, 10:12 AM
we need more 7 fters to play like Duncan, he goes ham in a quiet way

Bigsmoke
06-27-2011, 10:47 AM
i would care a little bit.

the best PF to ever played the game, great person, had some historical season, top 5 post player ever...

Brook Lopez is the biggest Tim Duncan fan in the NBA so i hope Timmy will retire and work on Lopez' game a little. Its funny how i'm not really THAT big of a fan of Tim Duncan about love watching Brook Lopez.

Toizumi
06-27-2011, 10:59 AM
Spurs fans are people and they will give a Damn. So will true NBA fans. I mean they are retiring not dying, what should the general public do in tour eyes to pay homage?

Exactly.

Not many retirements are "big deals". Jordan first retired when he was still great, so that was shocking. Erving retired due to his disease...
Players that leave the game while they're still good players. That's what people care about most.

Duncan will be missed, but he is over the hill already and the end of his playing days is nearing. This is just how it goes :confusedshrug: I already miss prime Duncan.. I still love to watch Timmy play though. When he retires, he will be missed by me, just like I miss tons of players that have retired since I've started watching the game.

Trust me on this though, Duncan's name won't ring out quick. All this "he is not mentioned enough/underrated for his career" stuff is just BS. He is generally accepted as the best PF ever by players/commentators/fans of the game. One of the best fundamental players ever. Arguably the best player of the 2000's. That label will stick.

rwfletch22
06-27-2011, 11:08 AM
Much respect to Duncan, his game isn't the most exciting, but it's effective.......I think I would like him more if he didn't whine about every single foul ever called against him

OKCThunderUP
06-27-2011, 11:19 AM
and it's unfortunate that one of the best and most successful players ever will go out so unpraised by the general public.

It's kind of his own fault though. The dude did not make himself available for the "general public." How many commercials has he been in? Not counting the NBA Cares commercials. I'm talking Gatorade, Nike, etc...

Butters
06-27-2011, 11:30 AM
Greatest PF of all time.

Ill miss his bank shot the most:cry:

Joey Zaza
06-27-2011, 11:45 AM
The only retirement I can think of that was a league-wide big deal was KAJ. Unlike other retirements, he announced it before the season-o evey stop was KAJ's last time in XYZ city. Also unlike other retirements, dude played for 20 years, retired with almost every meaningful record and was the clear best player in the league for about 10 years.

For TD, the SA folks will care and retire his jersey we'll hear Sportscenter make a big deal..maybe a good local reporter treats it as a story. Not much else ca nhappen.

BEAST Griffin
06-27-2011, 11:50 AM
Best player of his generation.

:bowdown:

JohnnySic
06-27-2011, 11:53 AM
Where does Duncan rank among centers? Because that's his real position:

Russell, Wilt, Kareem, Shaq, Hakeem, then Duncan #6?

SpecialQue
06-27-2011, 12:15 PM
It's kind of his own fault though. The dude did not make himself available for the "general public." How many commercials has he been in? Not counting the NBA Cares commercials. I'm talking Gatorade, Nike, etc...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovc4O63Gb2E

GOAT ads.

06-27-2011, 12:17 PM
I already miss Duncan, and a number of others.

I'm ready for the season to start and it just ended.

rule1223
06-27-2011, 12:20 PM

:bowdown:
kobe and shaq are in his generation...

obonpaxis
06-27-2011, 12:28 PM

He and David Robinson were in that stupid Edge shaving commercial. That's it though.

One of the reasons I thought Duncan was awesome was that he kept a relatively low profile and never felt compelled to sell sugar water to morons.

If everyone could rewatch his 2003 playoff run, I doubt there'd be any discussion about "overrated". That team had no business going anywhere. He was a monster during those days.

Wait I just saw that Mootopia commercial. Damn it Timmy you're just like all the rest!

DCL
06-27-2011, 12:37 PM
the timing is kinda odd.

duncan emerged as a champion during the last lockout.

and now he's leaving during this lockout. but still, nothing official yet.

All Net
06-27-2011, 12:38 PM
What happens when Kobe retires? Will a million 'stans blast themselves? I hope so.

The NBA will certainly suffer when he does.

JohnnySic
06-27-2011, 12:38 PM
I will always have reverence for TD. This is the man that killed that Shaq-Kobe noise (the Pistons may have delivered the death blow, but it was Duncan that mortally wounded the beast). If only he had done it 3 seasons sooner.

Duncan. :bowdown:

SpecialQue
06-27-2011, 12:43 PM
I will always have reverence for TD. This is the man that killed that Shaq-Kobe noise (the Pistons may have delivered the death blow, but it was Duncan that mortally wounded the beast). If only he had done it 3 seasons sooner.

Duncan. :bowdown:

Same respect I have for Jordan's Bulls and the Pistons killing the Larry Bird Celtics era.

M.Bustly15A5RU8
06-27-2011, 12:46 PM
kobe and shaq are in his generation...

Tim Duncan is better than Kobe Bryant.

JohnnySic
06-27-2011, 12:55 PM
Same respect I have for Jordan's Bulls and the Pistons killing the Larry Bird Celtics era.
No one killed the 80's Celtics, they just ran their course. :no:

TD and Pistons killed Shaq/Kobe. They all but shaved the Kobe 'fro.

rwfletch22
06-27-2011, 01:02 PM
Tim Duncan is better than Kobe Bryant.
I want some of what you're smoking :lol

Nero Tulip
06-27-2011, 01:02 PM
Huh.... he isn't retiring yet guys. Save it for when he is.

Much respect to Duncan, his game isn't the most exciting, but it's effective.......I think I would like him more if he didn't whine about every single foul ever called against him

Says the guy with Kobe and Pau in his avatar (but really, any player would've been the same... they ALL whine and Duncan isn't one of the worst).

If he isn't noticed because he's not in commercials, that tells more about the NBA public than the player. I personnally respect a ton more for not being an attention whore like most superstars.

I.R.Beast
06-27-2011, 01:03 PM
Basketball is entertainment, and even though i love fundamentals, i alos like the flash tied into it. Duncan was undoubtedly the best at his position in his prime, but he had absolutely no flash to his game at all, hence no entertainment value. He never sought out to be recognized, he sought out to win and he did that, and he will never be forgotten for that. While noone will "miss" him from an entertainment value standpoint due to him being as boring as boring can be, he will never be forgotten for what he has accomplished and how great he was.

rwfletch22
06-27-2011, 01:04 PM
No one killed the 80's Celtics, they just ran their course. :no:

TD and Pistons killed Shaq/Kobe. They all but shaved the Kobe 'fro.

IMO, Shaq/Kobe/Phil killed Shaq/ Kobe

Nero Tulip
06-27-2011, 01:04 PM

The thing is, if most NBA fans weren't completely blind it would be almost impossible to argue that Bryant is better.

The only one in his generation who's probably ahead is O'Neal.

Butters
06-27-2011, 01:07 PM
Alot of people must be smoking,because most people do have TD ranked ahead of Kobe as a player and on the all time list.

Nero Tulip
06-27-2011, 01:18 PM
Basketball is entertainment, and even though i love fundamentals, i alos like the flash tied into it. Duncan was undoubtedly the best at his position in his prime, but he had absolutely no flash to his game at all, hence no entertainment value. He never sought out to be recognized, he sought out to win and he did that, and he will never be forgotten for that. While noone will "miss" him from an entertainment value standpoint due to him being as boring as boring can be, he will never be forgotten for what he has accomplished and how great he was.

You're entitled to your opinion, but I've always thought this "boring" thing was mostly a media bias. Have you watched him play? He would do things like an off balanced hook shot on one leg with his left hand, and people would call it "fundamentals"....

The reason he's considered boring is not because of the way he plays, but because of his lack of mistakes off the court.

For people like me who don't give a damn about cheap "flash", we want the game to remain competitive, and to be all about winning, not the reputation of a few star players. When the game becomes all superstar wing players taking as many shots as humanly possible to inflate their stats, that's when the game will lose its entertainment value for me.

Basketball is in a sad state if there are people arguing " well this guy sucked, all he did was win!"

I.R.Beast
06-27-2011, 01:21 PM
You're entitled to your opinion, but I've always thought this "boring" thing was mostly a media bias. Have you watched him play? He would do things like an off balanced hook shot on one leg with his left hand, and people would call it "fundamentals"....

The reason he's considered boring is not because of the way he plays, but because of his lack of mistakes off the court.

For people like me who don't give a damn about cheap "flash", we want the game to remain competitive, and to be all about winning, not the reputation of a few star players. When the game becomes all superstar wing players taking as many shots as humanly possible to inflate their stats, that's when the game will lose its entertainment value for me.

Basketball is in a sad state if there are people arguing " well this guy sucked, all he did was win!"

i have watched him play alot..he was my favorite PF, he was broing to watch but i could stay tuned into games because of the ever exciting Parker and ginobli.

Odinn
06-27-2011, 01:27 PM
Alot of people must be smoking,because most people do have TD ranked ahead of Kobe as a player and on the all time list.
http://i1106.hizliresim.com/2011/6/24/11163.jpg

Butters
06-27-2011, 01:30 PM
^^ just to clarify, i was saying TD is >Kobe,although my post might make it seem otherwise,context and sheet.

rwfletch22
06-27-2011, 01:51 PM
The thing is, if most NBA fans weren't completely blind it would be almost impossible to argue that Bryant is better.

The only one in his generation who's probably ahead is O'Neal.
:oldlol: u serious bro? :oldlol:

Butters
06-27-2011, 01:54 PM

Finish this sentence.

Kobe is greater than duncan because........(this is where you fill in)

DRose1899
06-27-2011, 01:56 PM
I'm kobe fans, but yeah I'm rate Duncan higher than him.

ihatetimthomas
06-27-2011, 02:11 PM
Maybe the general public wont care much because he is not really a household name, but I assure you each and every real basketball fan will indeed give a damn and be deeply saddened when he does retire. Anyone with any basketball knowledge knows what he was, and what kind of impact he has had on the game. The basketball community will probably care more about him retiring than Shaq.

rwfletch22
06-27-2011, 02:12 PM
Finish this sentence.

Kobe is greater than duncan because........(this is where you fill in)

Better Scorer, Better Defender.......More rings against better teams in the Finals

Duncan hasn't even been his teams best player since 2005

I'm by no means a Duncan hater, he just isn't better than Kobe all-time

ihatetimthomas
06-27-2011, 02:14 PM
i have watched him play alot..he was my favorite PF, he was broing to watch but i could stay tuned into games because of the ever exciting Parker and ginobli.

If you think premiere footwork, top notch post moves, excellent passing and amazing man and help defense is boring to watch, then you need to find another sport to watch. For me, Duncan in his prime was one of the most entertaining to watch from a basketball perspective. Yes he wasnt flashy in terms of high fly acts and power, but he is one of the most complete 2 way players to ever live.

DRose1899
06-27-2011, 02:17 PM
Better Scorer, Better Defender.......More rings against better teams in the Finals

please, u don't actually believe this rubbish.

talkingconch
06-27-2011, 02:22 PM
If there is a lockout, it would be appropriate if the Spurs won the championship and Duncan rode into the sunset.

LOL

rwfletch22
06-27-2011, 02:57 PM
please, u don't actually believe this rubbish.

Duncan- 8 time All Defense

Kobe- 11 time All Defense

As voted by the NBA coaches, I believe they would have a pretty good idea...

The Ownage
06-27-2011, 03:00 PM

:roll:

thejumpa
06-27-2011, 03:09 PM
Duncan- 8 time All Defense

3-4 of those defensive nods came from Kobes reputation and not actual play.

I.R.Beast
If you think premiere footwork, top notch post moves, excellent passing and amazing man and help defense is boring to watch, then you need to find another sport to watch. For me, Duncan in his prime was one of the most entertaining to watch from a basketball perspective. Yes he wasnt flashy in terms of high fly acts and power, but he is one of the most complete 2 way players to ever live.

Duncan was BORING.....he had no flash to go along with his fundamentals and i am a huge fan of sound fundamentals, Duncan despite having that was very Boring, from the way he finished to his demeanor.

Odinn
Duncan- 13 time All Defense

Fixed it for you.

Also Duncan the only player who made All-NBA and All-Defensive team in his first 13 seasons.

Done.

ihatetimthomas
06-27-2011, 03:24 PM
Duncan was BORING.....he had no flash to go along with his fundamentals and i am a huge fan of sound fundamentals, Duncan despite having that was very Boring, from the way he finished to his demeanor.

Great fundamentals to me is not boring at all and should not be for anyone who follows basketball. You have bought into the media craze that flashy dunks, super athletic players, and colorful personalities are the only means of entertainment.

rwfletch22
06-27-2011, 03:36 PM
Fixed it for you.

Also Duncan the only player who made All-NBA and All-Defensive team in his first 13 seasons.

Done.

Oh my bad Bro.

Duncan- 8 time 1st team

Kobe- 9 time 1st team

rmt
06-27-2011, 03:40 PM

Duncan anchored the best defense in the league for over a decade.

Duncan - 4 rings without an All-NBA team mate, 2 MVPs, 3 Finals MVP
Kobe - 3 rings with the MDE/top 6-8 GOAT and 2 with elite PF, 1 MVP, 2 Finals MVP

rwfletch22
06-27-2011, 03:49 PM
Duncan anchored the best defense in the league for over a decade.

Duncan - 4 rings without an All-NBA team mate, 2 MVPs, 3 Finals MVP
Kobe - 3 rings with the MDE/top 6-8 GOAT and 2 with elite PF, 1 MVP, 2 Finals MVP

IMO, the Pistons were the best defensive team of the decade....

And puuuhlleese don't act like Timmy didn't have loaded talent around him, thats a smack in the face to D. Robinson-Parker-Ginobli-Bowen-and even guys like Horry & Kerr that helped win those rings with some big playoff games

The-Legend-24
06-27-2011, 04:09 PM
Duncan better than Kobe all-time? :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Duncan was fortunate to have a good team around him for his whole career.
Once Kobe retires, the NBA won't be the same.

Butters
06-27-2011, 04:20 PM
SMH at people thinking duncan had a better supporting cast.

The ONLY thing Kobe does better is score,thats it,and even then,timmy holds his own in that regard as well. 20/11 for his career?even still with these regressed years.

3 finals mvp with 4 rings>kobe

Samurai Swoosh
06-27-2011, 04:24 PM
3-4 of those defensive nods came from Kobes reputation and not actual play.
Sad, but true.

SayTownRy
06-27-2011, 04:24 PM
IMO, the Pistons were the best defensive team of the decade....

are you gonna back this up with defensive team selections too? that was very telling.

rwfletch22
06-27-2011, 04:25 PM

The ONLY thing Kobe does better is score,thats it,and even then,timmy holds his own in that regard as well. 20/11 for his career?even still with these regressed years.

I know you aren't talking about me, I never said he had a better cast than kobe has had.........However, you act like he has carried the Spurs for a decade and that Sir, is false. Timmy has had some great players around him.....Like a previously said, it's slap in the face to those guys

Samurai Swoosh
06-27-2011, 04:26 PM
Tim Duncan that I know has been retired since the end of the 2008 season.

Just like Shaq, it's merely a formality at this point.

Nero Tulip
06-27-2011, 04:32 PM

Better as in "takes more shots". Duncan is the more efficient scorer by far.

rmt
06-27-2011, 04:35 PM
I know you aren't talking about me, I never said he had a better cast than kobe has had.........However, you act like he has carried the Spurs for a decade and that Sir, is false. Timmy has had some great players around him.....Like a previously said, it's slap in the face to those guys

Tim Duncan is the only player in NBA history to be selected to all-nba and all-defensive teams for the first 13 years of his career. I think that's carrying the Spurs for a decade.

The-Legend-24
06-27-2011, 04:35 PM
:facepalm He's a PF, and plays closer to the basket, so if he's better than Kobe because he's more efficient, then Duncan > Jordan? :confusedshrug:
LOL @ these fools KB > TD

Bigsmoke
06-27-2011, 04:37 PM
I have Duncan over Kobe. :confusedshrug:

Nero Tulip
06-27-2011, 04:46 PM
:facepalm He's a PF, and plays closer to the basket, so if he's better than Kobe because he's more efficient, then Duncan > Jordan? :confusedshrug:

No actually Jordan was more efficient. Look it up. That guy was ridiculous.

StacksOnDeck
06-27-2011, 04:47 PM
Duncan over Kobe? HA!

rwfletch22
06-27-2011, 04:48 PM
Tim Duncan is the only player in NBA history to be selected to all-nba and all-defensive teams for the first 13 years of his career. I think that's carrying the Spurs for a decade.
So, Parker-Ginobli-Bowen-D. Robinson- Pops as coach-Brent Barry-Steve Ker-Robert Horry-Mario Elie-Steve Smith-Stephen Jackson-Danny Ferry-Rasho Nesterovic-Michael Finley-Nick Van Exel.....ect. Those guys are complete scrubs, right? :facepalm

The-Legend-24
06-27-2011, 04:49 PM
So, Parker-Ginobli-Bowen-D. Robinson- Pops as coach-Brent Barry-Steve Ker-Robert Horry-Mario Elie-Steve Smith-Stephen Jackson-Danny Ferry-Rasho Nesterovic-Michael Finley-Nick Van Exel.....ect. Those guys are complete scrubs, right? :facepalm
Of course without those guys duncan still has 4 rings. :oldlol:

dallaslonghorn
06-27-2011, 04:50 PM

Honestly ... if I was choosing between to start a franchise between a 21-year old Duncan and a 21-year old Jordan -- it would be a REALLY tough choice. There's a reason no one really busts on Houston for taking Hakeem over MJ.

Just think in terms of positional scarcity -- a team of Duncan/Rodman/Pippen is getting titles. A team of Parker/Manu/MJ -- I don't know. They'd better have some good big men.

As for whether Duncan gets "the respect" he deserves: "I'm thankful and elated to be recognized. To be thought of even in that conversation, it's a wonderful honor. But the validation of men has never influenced me either way." -- Deion Sanders on making the Hall

Jacks3
06-27-2011, 05:28 PM
if I was choosing between to start a franchise between a 21-year old Duncan and a 21-year old Jordan -- it would be a REALLY tough choicel

Jacks3
06-27-2011, 05:29 PM
:oldlol: :oldlol: :oldlol: :oldlol:

M.Bustly15A5RU8
06-27-2011, 05:36 PM

:facepalm

greymatter
06-27-2011, 05:48 PM
Duncan's a humble, well-liked guy and a top 12-15 player all time. Plenty of people will give a damn.

Eat Like A Bosh
06-27-2011, 07:46 PM
Someone's gonna care.

Basketball Fan
06-27-2011, 09:22 PM

Sprite commercial w/ Kobe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OC099FK-ltc

rmt
06-28-2011, 02:59 AM

None of them made any all-nba team in the Spurs' title years unlike Kobe playing with MDE/top 6-8 GOAT and all-nba Gasol.

Nero Tulip
06-28-2011, 07:04 AM
Duncan's a humble, well-liked guy and a top 12-15 player all time. Plenty of people will give a damn.

The top PF in the game just cannot be only top 12-15. People are seriously overrating wing players and point guards.

To me we can only compare players playing the same role, and he's the best at his position.

jbryan1984
06-28-2011, 07:38 AM
I disagree, I know the city of San Antonio will give him a great sendoff and he will be missed but that is part of the game. Your favorites get older and move on.

Anaximandro1
06-28-2011, 08:14 AM

:bowdown:Yeah :cheers:

Shaq (and Wilt) is the most talented player ever,but Tim is the best player in the post-Jordan era.Duncan is dominant at both ends of the floor and very professional and coachable.Moreover Tim is an excellent team player,leads by example and that's why the Spurs have great team chemistry every year.

JellyBean
06-28-2011, 08:45 AM
Oh cry me a river, why don't you?:oldlol: I have already forgotten Tim Duncan anyway. Just kidding. If, and when, Timmy retires people will care. The debate will rage on about how Timmy is the best PF in the history of the NBA. I still don't seem him being better than Elvin Hayes or Karl Malone, but that is just my opinion. Timmy will be remembered. He was a force. I just think that he got lucky to be on the right team at the right time. Give KG that kind of team and he would have won 4 titles. But oh well. Such is life. Mad props to Tim Duncan. What is sad though. Timmy will replace George "Iceman" Gervin has the greatest Spurs player.......Noooooooooo!!

Nero Tulip
06-28-2011, 09:01 AM
Oh cry me a river, why don't you?:oldlol: I have already forgotten Tim Duncan anyway. Just kidding. If, and when, Timmy retires people will care. The debate will rage on about how Timmy is the best PF in the history of the NBA. I still don't seem him being better than Elvin Hayes or Karl Malone, but that is just my opinion. Timmy will be remembered. He was a force. I just think that he got lucky to be on the right team at the right time. Give KG that kind of team and he would have won 4 titles. But oh well. Such is life. Mad props to Tim Duncan. What is sad though. Timmy will replace George "Iceman" Gervin has the greatest Spurs player.......Noooooooooo!!

Then I guess he was lucky to be on (at least) 2 completely different teams at the right time. Really lucky guy.

People are forgetting that Duncan-led teams were ALWAYS competitive, while for most of his career Garnett's only relevance in the league was getting destroyed in the first round.

Dbrog
06-28-2011, 12:14 PM
Then I guess he was lucky to be on (at least) 2 completely different teams at the right time. Really lucky guy.

People are forgetting that Duncan-led teams were ALWAYS competitive, while for most of his career Garnett's only relevance in the league was getting destroyed in the first round.

Unfortunately most people here are stat-whores so they worship prime KG. Reality is that KG has just never been able to get over that hump and lead a team. He IS however probably the best second option of all time...yes better than Pippen. /PutsOnFlameShieldForCallingKGaSecondOption

Edit: Oh hell, let's take it further. LeBron is headed down the same path. DEAL WITH IT!

Kellogs4toniee
06-28-2011, 01:14 PM
I'll give a damn.. that's all that matters to me. And 10 years down the road when my children are smart enough to understand basketball, I'll be sure they understand how great Duncan was.

Semi
06-28-2011, 01:42 PM
Well, I see the Kobe trolls are also slowly coming out of their holes after the sweep...:blah

Mr. I'm So Rad
06-28-2011, 01:44 PM

When Kobe retires, the NBA will shut down for 5 years

SsKSpurs21
06-28-2011, 03:57 PM
Tim Duncan interview after 2007 championship... proclaimed the "Greatest PF of all time"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzK274raxb0&feature=related

SpaceCityHakeem
06-28-2011, 04:40 PM
True basketball fans will care

no pun intended
06-28-2011, 04:44 PM
It's pretty hard to think about Kobe retiring. Haters or not, the league will feel different without him and he will be missed :/

thejumpa
06-28-2011, 04:49 PM
Real basketball fans will care. The only people that won't are kids who started watching ball in the mid 2000's or something. Even then, you would have to either living under a rock or just be a clown to not understand how good Duncan is/was. Living legend, 1st ballot HOFer, arguably the greatest of the decade and greatest PF ever....the list goes on.

Crown&Coke
06-28-2011, 04:58 PM
I highly doubt he retires soon, he still got 3 good years left and if he continues to take a reduced roll it might even be more.

But once he does hang em up, trust me, we will notice. Dude is one of the best ever and even noobs will get a heavy dose of TD highlights to show how amazing his career has been.

Round Mound
06-29-2011, 12:02 AM
The only reason why Duncan`s game is not that appealing to the eye is because he has great fundamentals: todays NBA Marketing = 1 on 1 moves and dunks.

In reality on why his game was just not so appealing was because he was just another center yet he played in a twin tower system with David Robinson. Him at PF cause of his better handles but he entered as Center.

The rest of his career he has played more like a Center too.

Barkleyand Malone where real POWERFORWARDS they hada face up game, could shoot inside or outside and could finish coast to coast like what Forwards do. Duncan not so much.

A Prime Barkley and Malone would have definetly outplayed him

kaiiu
06-29-2011, 12:04 AM
Barkley >>>> Duncan

lets be searss now

JellyBean
06-29-2011, 12:52 AM

The dude (Tim Duncan) always had other options around him. In 2003 (Nets): Tony Parker (all-star), Stephon Jackson, some dude named David Robinson, Manu, Kevin Willis, Steve Kerr, Danny Ferry, Bruce Bowen. I remember the Nets at one point quadruple-teamed Tim Duncan, which allowed Duncan to find teammates to knock down jumpers. Who did KG have?

In 2005 (Pistons). Oh let's see who Timmy had on his team: Glenn Robinson, Tony Parker, Bruce Bowen, that Manu dude again, Rober Horry, they had Brent Berry and Devin Brown coming off the bench dropping 7-8 a game! The dude still had options, and during this Final it was more of a team effort. Everyone did a little something. Again, when did KG have these options?

2007 (Cavs): Oh my. The Spurs swept the Cavs and if I remember correctly, Tony Parker was the force in this Final.

Like I said before, Tim Duncan was a beast. But the dude was lucky. Give my boy, KG a roster with Manu, Tony Parker, David Robinson, Robert Horry, Michael Finley, Bruce Bowen, Brent Berry, Danny Ferry, Steve Kerr, Stephon Jackson, Matt Bonner, they even had flipping Hedo Turkoglu! I agree the Spurs were competitive, but they had a flipping team. KG did not have anyone that could spread the floor and knock down a jumper. No real threats. The Spurs. I just listed who the Spurs had. Who are you going to stop on that team? With my Timberwolves you knew that if you stopped KG, you had the game. We only had one good team, and that was when we had Sam and Spree. The rest of the roster over the years were limited. Give KG the Spurs roster, I bet KG got four rings.

People are going to miss Duncan. But some of you guys act like Duncan was this mega force.

Nowitzness81
06-29-2011, 01:11 AM
Someone want to explain why this guy only averaged 20 for his career?

vinsane01
06-29-2011, 01:31 AM

This. Spurs fans and fans who appreciate basketball in its entirety are going to miss him and will always remember him as one of the best to ever play the game. No matter how "boring" and unexciting most casual fans label him to be.

And yeah he is a great basketball player who is going to retire. That's it. no need to be overly sentimental about it.

rmt
06-29-2011, 01:48 AM
So much wrong with this post:

The dude (Tim Duncan) always had other options around him. In 2003 (Nets): Tony Parker (all-star), Stephon Jackson, some dude named David Robinson, Manu, Kevin Willis, Steve Kerr, Danny Ferry, Bruce Bowen. I remember the Nets at one point quadruple-teamed Tim Duncan, which allowed Duncan to find teammates to knock down jumpers. Who did KG have?

Tony Parker was not an all-star in 03. He was a 20 year old, 2nd year player who was sometimes benched (specifically the last quarter of the final game of the NBA Finals) for Speedy Claxton.

Manu (rookie) and Stephen Jackson had not played one single minute in the NBA playoffs before '03. So Duncan's #2, #3 and #4 options had a total of 1 year NBA playoff experience when the playoffs started.

DRob was a 38 year old player with a bad back who played 23 mins./playoff game (7.8pt/6.6reb).

I wonder why the Nets would choose to quadruple-team Duncan - I guess it was because as you said in your last statement, "Duncan was this mega force" and maybe the team mates around him weren't so great so the Nets would rather anybody but TD take the shot.

In 2005 (Pistons). Oh let's see who Timmy had on his team: Glenn Robinson, Tony Parker, Bruce Bowen, that Manu dude again, Rober Horry, they had Brent Berry and Devin Brown coming off the bench dropping 7-8 a game! The dude still had options, and during this Final it was more of a team effort. Everyone did a little something. Again, when did KG have these options?

Glenn Robinson played in only 13 of the 23 playoff games averaging 8.7 mins and 3.8 pts. Devin Brown played in only 12 games & averaged 5 mins and 1.8 pts. Don't pretend that they had any huge role - most of their minutes were in the blowouts of games 1-4.

2007 (Cavs): Oh my. The Spurs swept the Cavs and if I remember correctly, Tony Parker was the force in this Final.

Parker had the mismatch offensively against hobbled Hughes and rookie Gibson. This series was won with defense and was never in doubt with Bowen on Lebron and Duncan closing down the paint. Once Lebron was contained, Cavs didn't have the firepower to stay with the Spurs. Duncan was the most important player in the 07 run.

Like I said before, Tim Duncan was a beast. But the dude was lucky. Give my boy, KG a roster with Manu, Tony Parker, David Robinson, Robert Horry, Michael Finley, Bruce Bowen, Brent Berry, Danny Ferry, Steve Kerr, Stephon Jackson, Matt Bonner, they even had flipping (CHOKING) Hedo Turkoglu! I agree the Spurs were competitive, but they had a flipping team. KG did not have anyone that could spread the floor and knock down a jumper. No real threats. The Spurs. I just listed who the Spurs had. Who are you going to stop on that team? With my Timberwolves you knew that if you stopped KG, you had the game. We only had one good team, and that was when we had Sam and Spree. The rest of the roster over the years were limited. Give KG the Spurs roster, I bet KG got four rings.

People are going to miss Duncan. But some of you guys act like Duncan was this mega force.

You make it sound as if TD had all those players in their prime on the same team. You can take the choker that was Turkoglu in those days and please, please you're welcome to Matt Bonner.

I seriously doubt KG carries the 03 roster to a ring.

rmt
06-29-2011, 01:53 AM
Someone want to explain why this guy only averaged 20 for his career?

As if scoring was the only important thing in basketball. There is the other half of the game - you know, DEFENSE.

Dbrog
06-29-2011, 01:57 AM

Like I said before, Tim Duncan was a beast. But the dude was lucky. Give my boy, KG a roster with Manu, Tony Parker, David Robinson, Robert Horry, Michael Finley, Bruce Bowen, Brent Berry, Danny Ferry, Steve Kerr, Stephon Jackson, Matt Bonner, they even had flipping Hedo Turkoglu! I agree the Spurs were competitive, but they had a flipping team. KG did not have anyone that could spread the floor and knock down a jumper. No real threats. The Spurs. I just listed who the Spurs had. Who are you going to stop on that team? With my Timberwolves you knew that if you stopped KG, you had the game. We only had one good team, and that was when we had Sam and Spree. The rest of the roster over the years were limited. Give KG the Spurs roster, I bet KG got four rings.

:facepalm :no:

2003 Champ Spurs - Rounding up
Duncan - 25/15/5/3, 53%
Tony - 15/3/4, 40%
Stephen - 13/4/3, 41%
Manu - 9/4/3, 39%
Robinson - 8/7, 54%
Malik Rose - 9/6, 42%
Bruce Bowen's defense

Ya...so many options :hammerhead:

2005 Spurs were a good team with a bunch of vets. Even so, Duncan put up 20.6, 14, 2.1 apg, 2.1 bpg, 41.9% against the former champs in one of the slowest paced series with incredible Piston defense.

2007 = Yes, Tony was very good in the finals. However, in all of the rest of the series, Duncan was easily the best. Not close. Duncan really didn't have to step up against that Cavs squad. BTW...Manu had single digit games against poor competition during this run. Definitely a very inconsistent option.

Also just to note, Timmy put up some sick numbers in the playoffs vs the threepeat Lakers.
2001 = 23 ppg, 12.3 rpg, 4.3 apg, 4.3 bpg, 1.3 spg, 4.5 TO, 47.8 FG%
2002 = 29 ppg, 17.2 rpg, 4.6 apg, 3.2 bpg, 1 spg, 4.6 TO, 45 FG%
2003 = 28 ppg, 11.8 rpg, 4.8 apg, 1.3 bpg, 2.2 TO, 52.7 FG%
2004 = 20.7 ppg, 12.2 rpg, 3.3 apg, 1 spg, 4.7 TO, 46.5 FG%

He was injured in 2000 in case you were wondering.

Could KG do what Duncan did with the same squads? There isn't a way of knowing. However, I have a hunch KG wouldn't win a single ring with those teams. As i said in my previous post, KG has never proven he could win as the number 1 option. He usually never got out of the first round (sign of not making his teammates better no matter how crappy they were). IMO he's the best number 2 option in NBA history but can't win a thing as number 1.

Jacks3
06-29-2011, 02:00 AM
His 03 run is overrated. Look at the comp. Mavs without Dirk. Worst Finals team ever in the 03 Nets. A Shaq/Kobe Laker team that had absolute garbage around them AND both were playing injured. Mediocre Suns team. Meh.

Dbrog
06-29-2011, 02:12 AM
His 03 run is overrated. Look at the comp. Mavs without Dirk. Worst Finals team ever in the 03 Nets. A Shaq/Kobe Laker team that had absolute garbage around them AND both were playing injured. Mediocre Suns team. Meh.

ummmmm....you do realize how retarded that sounds by itself. Now add to that that the 03 Lakers had almost the same roster they won a chip with the year before. :facepalm The Duncan hate is strong in this thread.

Jacks3
06-29-2011, 02:25 AM
Yeah, it was pretty much Shaq and Kobe. Their supporting cast was terrible. Fox was injured and only played 4 games that post-season. Horry was horrible. He shot 2-40 from three that post-season. 2-40. :facepalm
Who else did they have? Bunch of scrubs in Madsen, Slava, Walker, Shaw. Hell, even Phil missed several games that season due to injuries. Also, Kobe was playing with a severly injured shoulder and Shaq was playing injured too. It was certainly not the same as the 2002 team.

JellyBean
06-29-2011, 02:26 AM
So much wrong with this post:

Tony Parker was not an all-star in 03. He was a 20 year old, 2nd year player who was sometimes benched (specifically the last quarter of the final game of the NBA Finals) for Speedy Claxton.

Manu (rookie) and Stephen Jackson had not played one single minute in the NBA playoffs before '03. So Duncan's #2, #3 and #4 options had a total of 1 year NBA playoff experience when the playoffs started.

DRob was a 38 year old player with a bad back who played 23 mins./playoff game (7.8pt/6.6reb).

I wonder why the Nets would choose to quadruple-team Duncan - I guess it was because as you said in your last statement, "Duncan was this mega force" and maybe the team mates around him weren't so great so the Nets would rather anybody but TD take the shot.

Glenn Robinson played in only 13 of the 23 playoff games averaging 8.7 mins and 3.8 pts. Devin Brown played in only 12 games & averaged 5 mins and 1.8 pts. Don't pretend that they had any huge role - most of their minutes were in the blowouts of games 1-4.

Parker had the mismatch offensively against hobbled Hughes and rookie Gibson. This series was won with defense and was never in doubt with Bowen on Lebron and Duncan closing down the paint. Once Lebron was contained, Cavs didn't have the firepower to stay with the Spurs. Duncan was the most important player in the 07 run.

You make it sound as if TD had all those players in their prime on the same team. You can take the choker that was Turkoglu in those days and please, please you're welcome to Matt Bonner.

I seriously doubt KG carries the 03 roster to a ring.

You can spin it anyway you want, you give KG those options, you got KG winning several titles.

Meticode
06-29-2011, 02:27 AM
Every time I shoot hopes and use the back-board on a jumper the very first thing I think of every time is Tim Duncan. He's one of the quietest winners in the NBA ever.

Bless Mathews
06-29-2011, 02:28 AM
Who is this "Tim Duncan" you speak of?

we are typing

Dbrog
06-29-2011, 02:33 AM
Yeah, it was pretty much Shaq and Kobe. Their supporting cast was terrible. Fox was injured and only played 4 games that post-season. Horry was horrible. He shot 2-40 from three that post-season. 2-40. :facepalm
Who else did they have? Bunch of scrubs in Madsen, Slava, Walker, Shaw. Hell, even Phil missed several games that season due to injuries. Also, Kobe was playing with a severly injured shoulder and Shaq was playing injured too. It was certainly not the same as the 2002 team.

This is just getting sad. Essentially same roster as year before (as I said). Horry was stinking it up from three. It happens. As far as a SEVERE shoulder injury + Shaq injury...well...

Shaq = 29/13/3, 53%
Kobe = 27/6/5, 43%
Main supporting players combined for about 34 ppg

Shaq = 27/15/4, 54%
Kobe = 32/5/5, 43%
Main supporting players combined for about 32ppg

Please just stop. You're embarrassing yourself.

Jacks3
06-29-2011, 02:36 AM
Their supporting cast was terrible. Fox was injured and only played 4 games that post-season. Horry was horrible. He shot 2-40 from three that post-season. 2-40.

Read. That team wasn't as good as 02 and nowhere near as 01. Deal with it.

Face it-Duncan got lucky with the pathetic comp that year.

purplch0de
06-29-2011, 02:37 AM
Thats what happens to stars in relatively small markets. Little to no air time outside games so they never really develop an NBA-personality like most superstars do.

Dbrog
06-29-2011, 02:37 AM
Their supporting cast was terrible. Fox was injured and only played 4 games that post-season. Horry was horrible. He shot 2-40 from three that post-season. 2-40.

Read. That team wasn't as good as 02 and nowhere near as 01. Deal with it.

Face it-Duncan got lucky with the pathetic comp that year.

Main supporting cast scored 2 less ppg. That's INCLUDING Horry's crappy shooting.
:roll: :roll: :roll:

So I feel like being particularly mean tonight. Let's compare the supporting cast of 2003 to one of the great playoff dominating teams of all time, the 2001 Lakers.

Shaq = 27/15/4, 54%
Kobe = 32/5/5, 43%

Shaq = 30/15/3, 56%
Kobe = 29/7/6, 47%
Main supporting players combined for about 39ppg + old man Horace Grant Defense
(Harper was injured for most of the games)

just a seven point difference + a bit more interior defense is all it would take to make the 2003 team one of the alltime great teams. The gap between the Laker teams is much smaller than you make it out to be.

JellyBean
06-29-2011, 03:12 AM
:facepalm :no:

2003 Champ Spurs - Rounding up
Duncan - 25/15/5/3, 53%
Tony - 15/3/4, 40%
Stephen - 13/4/3, 41%
Manu - 9/4/3, 39%
Robinson - 8/7, 54%
Malik Rose - 9/6, 42%
Bruce Bowen's defense

Ya...so many options :hammerhead:

2005 Spurs were a good team with a bunch of vets. Even so, Duncan put up 20.6, 14, 2.1 apg, 2.1 bpg, 41.9% against the former champs in one of the slowest paced series with incredible Piston defense.

2007 = Yes, Tony was very good in the finals. However, in all of the rest of the series, Duncan was easily the best. Not close. Duncan really didn't have to step up against that Cavs squad. BTW...Manu had single digit games against poor competition during this run. Definitely a very inconsistent option.

Also just to note, Timmy put up some sick numbers in the playoffs vs the threepeat Lakers.
2001 = 23 ppg, 12.3 rpg, 4.3 apg, 4.3 bpg, 1.3 spg, 4.5 TO, 47.8 FG%
2002 = 29 ppg, 17.2 rpg, 4.6 apg, 3.2 bpg, 1 spg, 4.6 TO, 45 FG%
2003 = 28 ppg, 11.8 rpg, 4.8 apg, 1.3 bpg, 2.2 TO, 52.7 FG%
2004 = 20.7 ppg, 12.2 rpg, 3.3 apg, 1 spg, 4.7 TO, 46.5 FG%

He was injured in 2000 in case you were wondering.

Could KG do what Duncan did with the same squads? There isn't a way of knowing. However, I have a hunch KG wouldn't win a single ring with those teams. As i said in my previous post, KG has never proven he could win as the number 1 option. He usually never got out of the first round (sign of not making his teammates better no matter how crappy they were). IMO he's the best number 2 option in NBA history but can't win a thing as number 1.

He (KG) never got out of the 1st round because he never had anything around him! Put Tim on the '98-'99Timberwolves with a Stephon Marbury, Dean Garrett, Terrell Brandon, Joe Smith, Sam Mitchell, Bobby Jackson, Anthony Peeler, Malik Sealy, Dennis Scott, and see what happens.

Our '99-00 season: Terrell Brandon, Wally Szczerbiak, Malik Sealy, Joe Smith, Anthony Peeler, Sam Mitchell, Rasho, Bobby Jackson, William Avery, Tom Hammonds, Dean Garrett, Andrae Patterson. You can not, say that Tim would have got out of the 1st round with that roster, and we lost to Portland; 3-1.

'00-01 season: We lost to the Spurs in the 1st round. We had Terrell, Wally, Anthony, LaPhonso Ellis, a young Chauncey, Felipe Lopez, Reggie Slater, Rasho, Todd Day, Sam Mitchell, Dean, Williams, Sam Jacobson, Tom Hammonds. Hmmm, lets see who the Spurs had....oh David Robinson, Sean Elliott, Avery Johnson, Steve Kerr, Malik Rose, Danny Ferry, Antonio Daniels, Tim Duncan. Also they had Terry Porter. The Spurs had players that could knock down shots from the outside. They had players that were former all-stars. This would help Duncan and Robinson. KG did not have players that could shoot perimeter shots on a consistent basis. Heck the only player on the Timberwolves roster who had been an all-star was Terrell.

The Spurs had players who had been to the playoffs and championships before. KG did not have players like that around him. Throw in David Robinson, Tim could do pretty much whatever he wanted to. That took pressure off him. Let KG have a David Robinson in the paint. KG would have had a several rings. You can spin it anyway you want to, the fact of the matter is, KG did not have teammates that could matchup with other teams. Give KG Tim's roster, KG gets four rings.

Jacks3
06-29-2011, 03:20 AM
Main supporting cast scored 2 less ppg. That's INCLUDING Horry's crappy shooting.
:roll: :roll: :roll:

So I feel like being particularly mean tonight. Let's compare the supporting cast of 2003 to one of the great playoff dominating teams of all time, the 2001 Lakers.

Shaq = 27/15/4, 54%
Kobe = 32/5/5, 43%

Shaq = 30/15/3, 56%
Kobe = 29/7/6, 47%
Main supporting players combined for about 39ppg + old man Horace Grant Defense
(Harper was injured for most of the games)

just a seven point difference + a bit more interior defense is all it would take to make the 2003 team one of the alltime great teams. The gap between the Laker teams is much smaller than you make it out to be.
Kobe was healthy and played much better in 2001 than 2003. Their supporting cast in 2001 was much better in terms of volume and efficiency.

01 Lakers>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>03 Lakers in playoffs

Please stop. Just face it. Duncan in 03 got extremely lucky with the weak competition that year.

Dbrog
06-29-2011, 03:26 AM
Idk...ppl forget how good of a player Brandon was (and to a lesser extent Wally). Terrell was a better PG than Duncan has ever had in his career (yes even better than 2007 Tony). Also Duncan, unlike KG actually had a deep post game. Prime KGs fadeaway midrange fadeaway was probably just as good or better than current Dirk. However, because it was midrange, it made floor spacing much worse than when Duncan caught the ball in the post.

Basically Duncan w/ a great PG and some knockdown shooters = 1st round exits year after year at MINIMUM IMO.

Also keep in mind, this would also increase their regular season wins which creates different playoff matches. Hard to say what would happen but I think Duncan would see at least SOME success.

Dbrog
06-29-2011, 03:29 AM
Kobe was healthy and played much better in 2001 than 2003. Their supporting cast in 2001 was much better in terms of volume and efficiency.

Please stop. Just face it. Duncan in 03 got extremely lucky with the weak competition that year.

and 03 Lakers are still >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> most other teams in history. Don't really know how you can say Duncan got lucky when Kobe (your agenda) and the Lakers were facing similar competition (exception = 2000 Lakers). I could also bring up Fisher's shot clock violation that should not have counted if you want to start talking about luck.

MiseryCityTexas
06-29-2011, 03:34 AM
no big deal. AI is going out worse. Payton went out pretty bad. Duncan's had enough love for what he's done from fans/media already to last him 3 retirements of due credit.

Payton retired a champ. Something that even alot of the greatest players don't even do. cased closed.

Big#50
06-29-2011, 03:38 AM

LOL Tim is the best team player ever. He stuck with his coach when his coach went senile. He took a back seat in the finals and let his pg exploit the weak pg's he was going against. Another star player would have pressed the issue. Seen it happen in 04. He is what a pro NBA player should be. Hate him all you want about 03. Tim went Titan mode that year.NBA finals 03 He only had 24/17/5/5 against the best defensive team of 03. TITAN MODE. ***** ****ed around and nearly got a quad double. LOL
***** went Magic and played pg and center to clinch. LOL

Nero Tulip
06-29-2011, 04:13 AM
Idk...ppl forget how good of a player Brandon was (and to a lesser extent Wally). Terrell was a better PG than Duncan has ever had in his career (yes even better than 2007 Tony). Also Duncan, unlike KG actually had a deep post game. Prime KGs fadeaway midrange fadeaway was probably just as good or better than current Dirk. However, because it was midrange, it made floor spacing much worse than when Duncan caught the ball in the post.

Basically Duncan w/ a great PG and some knockdown shooters = 1st round exits year after year at MINIMUM IMO.

Also keep in mind, this would also increase their regular season wins which creates different playoff matches. Hard to say what would happen but I think Duncan would see at least SOME success.

The underrating of Parker on this site is ridiculous. Although I agree Brandon was very good for a couple years.

Other than that I agree with you. The Spurs were very good even before 2005, and at that point Manu and Tony weren't the beasts they eventually became. The Wolves however...

Dbrog
06-29-2011, 04:24 AM

The underrating of Parker on this site is ridiculous. Although I agree Brandon was very good for a couple years.

Other than that I agree with you. The Spurs were very good even before 2005, and at that point Manu and Tony weren't the beasts they eventually became. The Wolves however...

I just like Brandon more as a player since he's an actual PG rather than a scoring PG. I can't deny Tony is the superior offensive player, however, Brandon was a better passer and defender.