PDA

View Full Version : Nene to opt out of Denver Nuggets contract

Pokerface
06-30-2011, 12:48 AM
Nene has until tomorrow to either opt out of his contract or extend with the Nuggets. Indications are that he is unhappy with the Nuggets and he expects to opt out. Will he do it and does it make sense for him? Who will the Nuggets replace him with?

FourthTenor
06-30-2011, 01:02 AM
Yes he should opt out, I expect that he will.

NuggetsFan
06-30-2011, 01:11 AM
I'll really respect him if he does. He's guaranteed 11.6 mill next season. Denver would probably give him a 3-4 year deal with him making 10-12 mill a year I imagine. With the CBA talks he could be looking at a completely different contract. Plus I doubt any other team throws 11.6 mill at him but haven't really checked who has cap space. A team like NJ? In Denver he'd get the ball just as much and it's not like Denver isn't poised to at the very least make the playoffs.

If he really dislikes Denver you'd think he'd either A. Cash in his 11.6 mill this year and than hit the new free agency next year or B. Extend with Denver and just force his way out if he really doesn't want to be here.

His fiance his from Denver too pretty sure. Looking like if he does .. it could just straight up be to win a championship. Witch strikes me as odd because never really seen that fire in him personally. Gotta love a dude who wants to win and doesn't care about the money tho, if that is the case. Could just really dislike Denver\management\Karl :lol

ihatetimthomas
06-30-2011, 01:16 AM
Nene has said last season that he plans on opting out. That is a lot of money, but the free agent market stinks this season and he would be the most coveted big man free agent. Denver takes a big hit without him.

chazzy
06-30-2011, 01:17 AM
He did apparently:

Nene is set to officially become a free agent.
The Nuggets starting center will opt out of the final year of his contract worth about $12 million and, as a result, become an unrestricted free agent, a source said Wednesday night. It means Nene can sign with any team without the Nuggets getting a chance to match the offer when free agency begins after the expected NBA lockout, which should begin Friday.
Nene had until Thursday to make a final decision.

http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_18380674#ixzz1Qj2LW5ev

FourthTenor
06-30-2011, 01:17 AM
I'll really respect him if he does. He's guaranteed 11.6 mill next season. Denver would probably give him a 3-4 year deal with him making 10-12 mill a year I imagine. With the CBA talks he could be looking at a completely different contract. Plus I doubt any other team throws 11.6 mill at him but haven't really checked who has cap space. A team like NJ? In Denver he'd get the ball just as much and it's not like Denver isn't poised to at the very least make the playoffs.

If he really dislikes Denver you'd think he'd either A. Cash in his 11.6 mill this year and than hit the new free agency next year or B. Extend with Denver and just force his way out if he really doesn't want to be here.

His fiance his from Denver too pretty sure. Looking like if he does .. it could just straight up be to win a championship. Witch strikes me as odd because never really seen that fire in him personally. Gotta love a dude who wants to win and doesn't care about the money tho, if that is the case. Could just really dislike Denver\management\Karl :lol

:wtf:

Dude, the reason he would opt out would simply to get a new guaranteed deal worth a total of 30-40 million rather than start next season with only 11 million guaranteed to him and risk any kind of freak event that could end his career.

You take the money in hand. That's all.

You're reading way too much into it.

NuggetsFan
06-30-2011, 01:42 AM
:wtf:

Dude, the reason he would opt out would simply to get a new guaranteed deal worth a total of 30-40 million rather than start next season with only 11 million guaranteed to him and risk any kind of freak event that could end his career.

You take the money in hand. That's all.

You're reading way too much into it.

True. I was just under the impression that him and Denver can't work anything out. Doubt Denver's offering anything less than 10-11 mill. Pretty sure there was an article aways back saying they were trying to get a 3-4 year at 10-12 mill a year deal done.

When he becomes a UFA next year couldn't the contract be waay different? He could be looking at making 6-7 mill a year, no? If things drastically change. So if he wants the cash he could have just extended with Denver ... wouldn't that ultimately be the smartest choice money wise?. Isn't that why Carmelo forced his way to NY and didn't just hit the FA market like Nene is about too, because you could potentially lose all that cash?.

Maybe I'm missing something :oldlol:

Looks like he opted out tho.

bdreason
06-30-2011, 03:27 AM
Doesn't the ability to sign contracts end today (Thursday)?

That means if he doesn't get a deal done in the next 24 hours, he is stuck in limbo until the next CBA is completed. Seems like a big gamble... maybe I'm wrong.

All Net
06-30-2011, 03:29 AM
Question is who has the money to offer him a good deal? surely he will get less than what he opted out for?

el gringos
06-30-2011, 04:00 AM
he has to jump off the ship karl and kroenke are running straight into the ground- why would a guy in his prime choose to play for an organization not trying to win

hawkfan
06-30-2011, 04:03 AM
Didn't the Knicks have draft rights to Nene and trade him away?

Wouldn't have been better to have kept him, since they are still looking for a center?

insidehoops
06-30-2011, 05:43 AM
He reportedly will opt out: http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/?p=7913

kurple
06-30-2011, 05:47 AM
The nuggets gave him an offer, less than what he expected because they don't wanna overpay with the new CBA. Nene decided to opt out trying to force the nugget to step up.

Bigsmoke
06-30-2011, 06:20 AM
Nene to the Heat :rockon:

Bigsmoke
06-30-2011, 06:23 AM
The nuggets gave him an offer, less than what he expected because they don't wanna overpay with the new CBA. Nene decided to opt out trying to force the nugget to step up.

lol did we had this argument last winter? :lol

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=206316

OmniStrife
06-30-2011, 06:25 AM
Nuggets fans are shaking in their boots. :lol

brownmamba00
06-30-2011, 06:33 AM
OKC would be a great fit for him. Dunno about the cap space OKC has and you never know with the new CBA

purplch0de
06-30-2011, 07:31 AM
sign with nets.... he and deron = good shit 2 come

niko
06-30-2011, 10:10 AM
He just wants a longer contract, so he opted out so they can give him a 4 year contract. Now that he is a FA of course there is a small chance he could go, but it would take a big offer from a good suitor (How many are there?) or Denver deciding they aren't 100 sure about him and lowballing him (which we haven't seen an indication of.

I think this gets done easily.

HylianNightmare
06-30-2011, 11:18 AM
dude is gonna get payed

bagelred
06-30-2011, 11:26 AM
I think this gets done easily.

Mark Jackson?

EnoughSaid
06-30-2011, 12:04 PM
Nene said he wanted to go to the Heat, but I'm not sure they will be able to sign him. Just take less money!!

Bigsmoke
06-30-2011, 12:12 PM
Nene said he wanted to go to the Heat, but I'm not sure they will be able to sign him. Just take less money!!
:rockon:

hell, tell Lebron, Wade, and Bosh to give him money from their wallets. :lol

Stuckey
06-30-2011, 12:21 PM
i hope he goes to the Knicks, get that loooong paper son

MeLO MvP 15
06-30-2011, 12:26 PM
I still think he'll re-sign in Denver. I really can't find a better situation for him unless Denver just doesn't want to pay him a lot (which would be stupid). Unless if a team like San Antonio or Houston or Philly or GS offers a good sign and trade for him and Denver (assuming the CBA allows for S&Ts), he probably won't leave. He better be hoping for either a higher cap or keeping sign and trades legal because if not, his options are down to teams with cap space (Sacramento? Minnesota? NJ?) and Denver, in which case, Denver can lowball him and dare him to go to a horrible team. If there are sign and trades I could see Cleveland being a great fit for him and being able to offer Denver a good package. Possibly Varajao (and maybe even Hickson) for Nene. Nene is a better fit in Cleveland and they'd allow T Thompson to get a lot of minutes at PF.

Nene took a huge risk by opting out.

Richie2k6
06-30-2011, 12:26 PM
fudge..

NugzFan
06-30-2011, 01:01 PM
Nuggets fans are shaking in their boots. :lol

How so?

NugzFan
06-30-2011, 01:02 PM
How much can new York and Miami pay him?

I'm sure he will accept that.

MeLO MvP 15
06-30-2011, 01:15 PM

Even if there still is an MLE (very possible there isn't...), it would be that and even then he wouldn't take it. The way I see it, he's hoping for sign and trades to still be intact, a high cap or advantages to re-signing with current teams.

niko
06-30-2011, 01:21 PM

Don't bring NY into this, we know he's out of our price range.

NugzFan
06-30-2011, 01:27 PM
Don't bring NY into this, we know he's out of our price range.

sorry - that question was for stuckey.

niko
06-30-2011, 01:31 PM
sorry - that question was for stuckey.
:D

I don't see many real suitors for him. Plus it seems like he really likes Denver, he doesn't seem like a ring chaser. People don't understand that every player's life dream is not to be Wade & Lebron's caddy.

ihatetimthomas
06-30-2011, 02:17 PM
If I were the Nets, I would go hard for Nene. Nene, Brook and Dwill is a nice trio.

NuggetsFan
06-30-2011, 02:23 PM
If I were the Nets, I would go hard for Nene. Nene, Brook and Dwill is a nice trio.

Nene is MUCH better at PF too imo. Better suited there. Wouldn't be ideal next to Brook tho. Neither are stand out in the rebounding department. Him running the floor with D-Will would be pretty awesome to watch tho.

If Nene doesn't come back, I imagine that changes everything for Denver's FO. Atleast I hope it does.

AirTupac
06-30-2011, 02:34 PM
He should go to the Euroleague. He would be Shaq of the Euroleague.

brownmamba00
06-30-2011, 02:42 PM
He should go to the Euroleague. He would be Shaq of the Euroleague.

5 rings, 5x euro-MVP's, rebounding titles, scoring titles, 32/15/5 avg and always on the euroleague top 10 (wheter it's a layup or a dunk)

GOAT:bowdown:

AirTupac
06-30-2011, 02:53 PM
5 rings, 5x euro-MVP's, rebounding titles, scoring titles, 32/15/5 avg and always on the euroleague top 10 (wheter it's a layup or a dunk)

GOAT:bowdown:

Imagine if James Jones and Nene signed together on the same team. That would be Shaq + Kobe Euroleague style. :bowdown:

Joey Zaza
06-30-2011, 04:21 PM
According to the espn article, Nene wanted $13per from Den. $13

Dude's career averages are 14+ and 7+. His best year was this year and he was 14+and 7+.

His demand makes me almost root for a lock-out. For $13per I want to throw you the ball and watch magic happen. For $13per, you are my franchise, my all-star, my super-star, the guy we are building around.

Not 14/7.

swi7ch
06-30-2011, 05:03 PM
BrazilTV reports that Nene will meet with Pat Riley

kurple
06-30-2011, 05:07 PM
The Nets already have a big that doesn't rebound. They don't need another one

DMAVS41
06-30-2011, 07:02 PM
Question is who has the money to offer him a good deal? surely he will get less than what he opted out for?

Yep. This is a perfect example of why the NBA might lose a season. These owners have done a pathetic job paying these players what they are actually worth.

Here's a hint owners:

Just because a few teams overpay these guys does not mean everyone has to.

Nene is a nice player. That is all. He's a career 12 and 7 guy. He's missed basically two full seasons due to injury. His best year was 15/8.

He's worth about 6 million a year. But he'll get a lot more than that because stupid teams like the Mavericks are willing to pay Haywood over 8 million a year for 5 years.

What a joke.

DRose1899
06-30-2011, 07:42 PM
I hope Warriors sign him.

LaysUpBricks
06-30-2011, 07:48 PM
Kings have the most cap space and could use another big man.

Nene at PF and Cousins at C? :eek:

NuggetsFan
06-30-2011, 07:58 PM
He's missed basically two full seasons due to injury. His best year was

He's been injury prone but getting testicular cancer is kinda unpredictable and out of his hands. I do agree with everything else tho.

Nene has the size, athletic ability, skill to be an All-Star center. He lacks the mentality and the aggressiveness to actually produce the numbers on a consistent basis. 13mill for his production is kinda insane. Considering he'll throw up 19|10 one night and than 12\6 than next.

If Denver loses him they'll take a massive hit. Great player. Not 13m great imo tho.

NugzFan
06-30-2011, 08:19 PM
BrazilTV reports that Nene will meet with Pat Riley

to do what? :lol

they have no cap space and no assets to trade.

NugzFan
06-30-2011, 08:20 PM
I hope Warriors sign him.

a lot of fans better hope nene agrees to take a huge pay cut.

wagexslave
06-30-2011, 08:30 PM
Come on, Suns! Get him if he opts out!

tsforthrees
06-30-2011, 09:13 PM
Orlando needs to get in on the Nene action. Sign and trade if they have to.

ihatetimthomas
06-30-2011, 09:49 PM
Nene is MUCH better at PF too imo. Better suited there. Wouldn't be ideal next to Brook tho. Neither are stand out in the rebounding department. Him running the floor with D-Will would be pretty awesome to watch tho.

If Nene doesn't come back, I imagine that changes everything for Denver's FO. Atleast I hope it does.

true that he is not exactly ideal with Brook, but if I am the Nets, I still go hard for him in the hopes that it can keep Dwill around. They have a year to prove to williams that they are intent on winning.

DixieNourmous
06-30-2011, 11:38 PM
Link?

NugzFan
06-30-2011, 11:50 PM
Come on, Suns! Get him if he opts out!

do fans of any team understand how signing free agents work?

:confusedshrug:

NugzFan
06-30-2011, 11:51 PM
Orlando needs to get in on the Nene action. Sign and trade if they have to.

i wonder who orlando has to sign and trade? there could be some good potential here.